Return to Home Page
Source: [History of Jerseyville, Illinois 1822 to 1901, by Rev. Marshall M. Cooper, Jerseyville Republican Print. 1901]
Soon after the first survey of Jerseyville in 1834. Lott & Dailly erected a building and started a store which was the first store in Jerseyville.
Horatio N. Belt was the builder of the store house.
In 1835, they sold their stock to George Collins and Benjamin Yates, who carried on the general merchandise buisness for several years under the firm name of Collins & Yates.
In 1837, a second store was started by Adam Clendennen and Edward Coles, but soon closed out of the business.
Benjamin C. Vandervoort
Was born Dec. 29, 1821. In the year 1858 he came to Jerseyville, and in 1859, established a dry goods business on West Pearl St. In 1867, he erected the brick building known as the Vandervoort Block. About the year, 1867, I. W. Beardslee became partner, remaining three years, when he retired. Mr. Vandervoort beca,e the sole proprietor, and remained so until his retirement in March 1, 1897. His funeral notice reads as follows:
"Died at his home in Jerseyville, Ill., Saturday, May 4, 1901, at 10 o'clock a. m., aged 79 years, 4 months and 5 days. The funeral services will be held from the Presbyterian Church, Monday, May 6, 1901, at 2:30 p.m., Rev. J. G. Klene, Officiating.
Nephew of Mr. Vanndervoort, immediately upon the retirement of his uncle from business, March 1, 1897, assumed control of the store and has since been sole proprietor at the old stand. Mr. Whitehead was for many years precious, the trusted clerk and had a full understanding of the business. He enjoys what truly belongs to him, a liberal share of the patronage of the public.
M. A. Warren & Co.
M. A. Warren was born near Jerseyville, Dec. 8, 1851. He received a business education at the business college, Jacksonville, Ill. In the fall of 1872, at the age of 21, he began his business career as clerk in the dry goods store of Lovell & Smith, with whom he continued one year. At the dissolution of Lovell & Smith, Mr. Warren became partner with Mr. Lovell. They continued in business three years, when Mr. Warren withdrew from the firm and returned to he employ ot J. Knox Smith, who, soon after, on account of failing health, sold the business to F. W. Smith & Co., for whom Mr. Warren clerked until September 1880. At that date he formed a partnership with J. Knox Smith, and again engaged in the dry goods business undet the name of Smith & Warren. They occupied a store on the old Herdman Corner. In Nov. 1884, the store was destroyed by fire, but they continued to carry on business until September, 1885, when they moved into a new store built by Geo. W. Herdman. The other members of the firm are W. H. Ellison and W. H. Sturgess, the latter residing in St. Louis, Mo
Warren - Wiseman Dry Goods Co.
Began business on N. State Street by buying out D. G. and H. N Whyckoff, January 16, 1893. Incorporated, March 6, 1900, into "Warren - Wiseman Dry Goods Co.", with Geo. E. Warren, president; J. J. Wiseman, secretary and treasurer. They carry a full line of dry goods and carpeting. They have enjoyed a lucrative trade from the first because of their square and honorable dealing, and their rare politeness and generosity shown to their customers. Their cleks are among our best citizens.
Fesenmeyer Senior & Co.
Began business on South State Street, April, 1898. After three years the firm name was changed to the present name of Fesenmeyer & Senior. Dealers in furnishings and dry goods, cloaks, trunks, notions, etc. Quick sales and small profits, wtih fair and honest dealing, their motto. The members of the firm are Frank A. Fesenmeyer and George Senior.
Lewis A. Miller
Opened a department store at Nos, 114 and 116 N. State Street, Oct. 18, 1896. Carries a full line of dry goods, hat,s caps, boots and shoes, with millinery goods. Also queensware, glassware, tinware, with all goods usually found in a first-class department store. Prices always right.
William G. Burnett
Began the dry goods and notion business in partnership with William Rohacek, April 1897, until Feb. 1901, Mr. Rohacek retiring. Since, Mr. Burnett has been sole proprietor. Carries a full lind of dry goods, furnishing and notions, at No. 109 South State Street. His stock ins new and first-class.
Leon Engel, the popular clothier and hatter, estabished he present business in Septmeber, 1880. His stock constantly increased, and he now carries one of the largest stocks of clothing, hats, shoes and gents furnishing goods found in this section of the State. He is located on South State Street.
H. B. Hill
Began business on South State Street, March 18, 1899. Carries a full line of clothing,gents furnishing goods, boots and shoes. Prices always right.
Holmes Clothing Store
S. A. Holmes became the proprietor of the shoe and clothing store in 1874. It afterwards became a stock company under the firm name of "The Holmes-Hill Shoe & Clothing Store". After Mr. Holmes' death the business was conducted by H. B. Hill, until 1898, when the company was dissolved and Mrs. Holmes assumed control.
Marston & Halliday
J. G. Marston and Levi Halliday formed a partnership and entered the grocery trade in the spring of 1873, at No. 201 North Main Street, Jerseyville, Ill., after carrying on the above named business 22 years, they changed in the spring of 1897, to a more commodious place which they now occupy, on West Pearl Street., in the Vandervoort block. They always have, and do still carry a large stock, containing a full line of staple and fancy groceries, queensware, chinaware, crockery, fruits, farm products, usually bought and sold at a first class family grocery store. They have always been considered straight-forward, and honorable dealing men.
Scheiner & Woodruff
Entered into partnership in the grocery trade, December 1898, at No. 201 North Main Street. They carry a full line of staples and fancy groceries, and are young men worthy of a liberal patronage. They are the successors of Scheiner & Rohacke, who did business at the same stand. The members of the firm are Geroge Scheiner and Geo. H. Woodruff, Jr.
Benj. W. Akard
Began carrying a general line of family groceries, at No. 106 South State St., Feb. 1, 1894. Mr. Akard is one of Jerseyville's good and reliable business men, and in consequence has a very good trade.
Began the grocery trade on Depot Street, August, 1891. Carries a full line of staple and fancy groceries; aslo queensware, wooden and tin wares; everything found in a first-class grocery store. His upright dealing has brought him a good trade.
Jacob Wagner has been engaged in the grocery business since 1879. His store is located on North State Street, where he carries a complete stock of groceries, glassware and chinaware.
Shafer & Hanley
The reliable grocers. Staple and fancy groceries, lime, cement, hair, queensware, woodenware, paints and oils, corner of Pearl and Washington Streets. The members of the firm are Harry W. Shafer and Thomas Hanley.
Thomas W. Butler
First began business on East Pearl St., one door east of State Bank , March 2, 1888. Removed to his present commodious stand at No. 201 on South State St., November, 1890. He carries a heavy stock of staple and fancy groceries, glass and queensware, paints, oils, brushes, etc. Mr. Butler has a large trade and reputation established.
H. C. Maloney
Began business on East Pearl St., Dec., 1898, but in Dec. 1899, removed to a more convenient and commodious room at No. 207 South State St., where he carries a line of general family groceries and provisions. His honest and courteous way of dealing will in time, build him a very large trade.
Abram W. Lowe
Began in the family grocery trade on the corer of Clay adn Spruce Streets, Aug. 21, 1899. Carries a full line of staples and fancy groceries.
Whitlock & Co.
Opened up a grocery store on North State Street, April 1901. They carry a full line of staple and fancy groceries, tinware, cigars, and tobacco. Moved into the Snedeker building, September 1, 1901. The firm is composed of Wilbert W. Whitlock and Mrs. Shirley M. Nelson.
In 1854, A. M. Blackburn established the first banking house in Jerseyville. Until 1859, Mr. Blackburn conducted the business alone, but afterwards associated with him Messrs, Wm. Shephard, Samuel L. McGill and A. B. Morean, when the firm name was A. M. Blackburn & Co It was afterwards organized under the state law, as the "Jersey County Bank", with A. M. Blackburn, President, and George R. Swallow, Cashier, who retired early form the business. This bank invested largely in Tennessee State Bonds, and on the breaking out of the war, the bonds depreciated to such an extent that the bank suspended business. The debts were paid at the time of closing business.
In 1859, Dr. E. A. D'Arcy and P. D. Cheney, established a bank under the firm name of D'Arcy & Cheney. During the war, D'Arcy & Cheney were the only bankers here, and in those troublesome times during the war, they were in constant fear of raids for "bushwhackers", but the bank was well guarded. No attack was made.
In 1866, D'Arcy & Cheney were succeeded by Hugh N. Cross and Col. George R. Swallow. The business was conducted under the firm name of Cross & Swallow, until in 1872, when they were succeeded by H. N. Cross, A. W. Cross and W. E. Carlin, under the firm name of Cross, Carlin & Co., who conducted the business until 1876, when "The First National Bank" was organized with H. N. Cross as President, and W. E. Carlin, Cashier. Mr. Carlin was connected with this banking house as cashier from 1870 to 1879.
In 1894, "The First National Bank" became the "National Bank" with A. W. Cross, President, and Edward Cross, Cashier. Mr. Cross was cashier for 15 years, when, on account of ill health he was succeeded by D. J. Murphy in 1899.
Hugh N. Cross was connected here with the banking business from 1866 until his death, which occurred in 1883. The seven original directors of the "The First National Bank" were H. N. Cross, A. W. Cross, W. E. Carlin, J. N. Englsih, J. C. Barr, James A. Locke, and Dr. Geo. S. Miles.
The First National Bank
A. W. Cross, President; W. H. Fulkerson, Vice-Presidetn; D. J. Murphy, Cashier; A. H. Cochran, Assis't Cashier.
Bank located on the corner of State and Pearl Streets.
Cash Capital, $55,000; Surplus Fund, $4,000
Individual deposit subject to check - $143,339, 21
Demand certificate of deposit - $70,585.84
Loans and discounts - $149,620.12
The above is a sworn statement by D. J. Murphy, Cashier, February 5, 1901
S. H. Bowman, President; J. A. Shephard, Vice-President; H. A. Shephard, Cashier; Thos. Wedding, Assis't Cashier.
Began business on the corner of State and Pearl Streets, August 1890.
Cash Capital - $50,000
Surplus - $5,000
The banks fo Wm. Shephard & Co., and Bowman & Ware were consolidated into the present State Bank, which has since done a successful business.
The first mill built in Jerseyville was an ox mill; built by Joseph Gerrish, where now stands the Orville A. Snedeker house, formerly owned and occupied by his uncle Samuel Snedeker on South State Street, about the year 1833.
The second was a Wind mill by the same man, Joseph Gerrish, 1839. It stood in the south part of Jerseyville on the Newbern Road, in the Kirby addition. It burned down about 1850. It was sold by Mr. Gerrish to Mr. Henry Schaff. Some of the boys are now milling in Maryville, Mo.
The Jerseyville Mills
This was a large steam flouring mill built by N. L. Adams and Josiah French, his son-in-law, in 1849. It stood where Pritchett's Livery Stable now stands on the corner of Arch and Jefferson Streets. It was bought by Samuel McGill and A. M. Blackburn, and operated some years by them. After them, it was operated by Samuel Davis and Gideon Blackburn. After them, it was bought by Henry Johnson, Wm. B. Nevius and J. Paris in 1864. About that time J. W. Vinson became general manager. In about two years, about 1866, it was bought by H. O. Goodrich, Wm. B. Nevius and B. W. Green. Green retiring from the firm, the mill was owned by Goodrich & Nevius along, until it burned down in 1876. It stood on the north east corner of Arch and Jefferson Streets. J. W. Vinson, business manager.
Built by J. M. Young, after running it for several years, doing a agood business, it was burned down. It was afterwards rebuilt by John N. Squier, who continued to run it until he sold it to Goodrich & Nevius. Still further on, Mr. Nevius retired, when the mill was owned and run by H. O. Goodrich and John W. Vinson, until it was again burned down. The mill stood on the sourtheast corner of Pearl and Olive Streets. It was never rebuilt.
There were other mills built, but the proprietors are dead, and reliable information concerning them seems at present impossible to obtain so I can give only very meager information concerning them. There seems to be no record of them.
In 1851 there was a mill built by a man named Young. The next proprietor was named Roberts. He in turn was succeeded by Turner and Whitenack. This firm continued for a short time and was changed to Turner & VanPelt. They soon retired and leased the business to Remer & Paris. These soon sold out to N. L. Adams. He operated the mill until 1873, when it was purchased by Thedore Dodosn. At this date, 1873, the Dodson Brothers, Theodore and Frank M., came to Jerseyville and engaged in the milling business. They afterwards built a new mill and are now doing a good business. The capacity of the mill is 200 baarrels a day. The total cost of the plant alone was not less thank $35,000.
The Jacobs Mill
Charles Jacobs purchased the steam mill east of C. & A. R. R. of Levi Cory, in 1873, and continued to run the mill until 1897, when, on account of age and infirmities he retired from active business life. The mill is now being operated by Flleming & Leak.
The Jerseyville Elevator
Began operations December, 1876. It was regularly incorporated with a capital stock of $25,000. Located on C. & A. Railroad. Officers elected for hte first term were Hugh N. Cross, President; James A. Locke, Vice-President; Walter E. Carlin, Secretary; A. W. Cross, Treas.; L. P. Squier, Supt. The main building of this elevator was 66 feet high, and has a gound are of 30x60 feet. In 1878, Walter E. Carlin purchased the interest of J. A. Locke and the following year that of A. W. Cross, thus owning three-fourths interest. In the spring of 1881, they sold the elevator to E. O. Standard Milling Co., of St. Louis, who still operate it with J. H. Duffield as superintendent.
The Farmers Elevator, which stands on the C. P. & St. L. R. R., was purchased by E. O. Standard Milling Co., in 1899, of T. J. Grimes, who had a mortgage on the building. It was first a stock concern, built by the farmers of Jersey County. It is managed by J. H. Duffield, Superintendent.
What is known as the Cockrell Elevator was built by Geo. C. Cockrell in 1876, as a cost of about $7,000. Geo. C. Cockrell ran it alone until 1869, when in that year he admitted Elias Cockrell as partner, and ran the business together until 1871, when Geo. C. Cockrell sold his interest to Elias Cockrell. In May, 1884, J. M. Valentine, of Rockbridge, Greene County, purchased the elevator of Elias Cockrell, and kept it about one year, when Mr. Cockrell bought it, and has been the sol proprietor up to this date, 1901.
The Carlin Elevator
THe elevator that stands a short distance north of Jerseyville Elevator on C. & A. R. R., was built by C. T. Edee in 1865, who operated it for about three years, when it was purchased by H. C. Massey and W. E. Carlin. The first cost was about $5,000. The elevator is now operated by Groppel & Schneider.
H. Scheffer & Son
H. Scheffer, boot and shoe dealer, was born in Prussia, April 20, 1827. At the age of 14, he was apprenticed to learn the shoemaker's trade and served three years, after which he followed his trade until he reached his majority, then entered the German Army, continuing in the service three years. At the expiration of that period he resumed his trade and followed the same until 1858, at which time he emigrated to America, landing at New Orleans on the 26th day of May, 1868. He proceeded to St. Louis, thence to Alton, then to Jerseyville, where he established the boot and shoe trade, which he pursued unto the day of his death.
He was married June 6, 1858, to Miss Mary Bertman, who was also born in Prussia. They were the parents of three children: Frederick, who was his partner with is father in the shoe business. Henry, at Bakersfield, Cal.; and Lillie, living at home.
The new firm of "Sheffer & Son" was established March 1880. They occupied a two story brick building, located in the best business part of the city. Besides their sales room, they have a custom shop, in which boots and shoes of all grades and orders are made. They carry the largest and most complete stock of boots and shoes in the city.
The father died, Dec. 15, 1900, but the business is carried at the old stand by his son Frederick, who is an honest, thorough goind business man, as the steady increase of his business shows.
Opened up a new trade in boots and shoes, December 21, 1900, on South State Street, and Sept. 1, 1901, moved into the new Bull building, at the northwest corner of State and Exchange Streets. He carries a full line of boots and shoes. He first opened a repair shop in 1890, prior to his buying his stock of boots and shoes. He still carried on a repair shop in connection with his store. Repairing done with neatness and despatch.
Opened by Philip Lancrey on North State Street in 1895. Manufactures the finest boots and shoes found on the market. He sends his work to California and all points in the United States where his work in known. He has a repair shop in connection with his manufacture. People who known Mr. Lancrey's excellent ability, come to hime for extra work.
Joel E. Cory
Began the hardware trade in 1883, first in the Villinger building, now Ferns' building, afterwards removed into the new Bull building, on West Pearl Street, in 1895, where he is at present doing a large and lucrative business. Since 1899, his son, C. Roy Cory, has been associated with him in business. Carried a full line of hardware, wooden and tinware. Has a repair shop, and large store room in connection. Hangles fire-arms and ammunition of all descriptions. Buys and sell clover, timothy and all kinds of farm and garden seeds. Sole agent for the Standard Oil Company. Also agent of the Adams Express Company.
A. O. Auten & Co.
Began business on corner of Pearl and Jefferson Streets, February 1897. Carry all kinds of shelf hardware, stoves, furniture, carriages, wind pumps. Also handle paints and oils of all kinds. All kinds of field and garden seeds. The members of the firm are Aaron O. Auten and John N. English.
Harry S. Daniels
Successor of James Stewart Daniels. Business established by him in 1872. Took charge of business immediately after the death of his father, J. S. Daniels in July 1892. Business located at Nos. 117-9, South State Street. General line of hardware, stoves tinware, buggies, carriages, pumps, etc. Also full line of groceries, queensware, etc. Handles all kinds of field and garden seeds. Also dealer in carriages.
Jerseyville Agricultural Works
In 1863, Robert Newton and H. O. Goodrich formed a partnership under the firm name of Goodrich & Newton, for the manufacture of agricultural implements. Their ieda was to supply a growing demand for farm machinery in the county and surrounding country.
They first purchased a frame building of two stories, on East Prairie Street, 24x36 feet in ground area, which they converted into a machine shop. In 1865, Mr. Newton became sole proprietor of these works, when he erected on the opposite side of the street to his maching shop, a warehouse and paint shop, 40x60 feet. Another building 36x40 was afterwards erected for the display and sale of machinery. In 1866, he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, Levi D. Cory, and the firm name became Newton & Cory. The business soon justified the employment of 20 men. In 1869, Mr. Newton became sole proprietor and so continued until Novermber 1882. About this time a stock company was formed assuming the name of "Jerseyville Manufacturing Company" and started with a capital stock of $50,000.
The seventeed stockholders were composed of the following men: Robert Newton, H. C. Massey, Col. W. H. Fulkerson, Ormond Hamilton, Bowman and Ware, Morris R. Locke, J. M. Page, J. A. Shephard, Wallace Leigh, L. D Halliday, O. A. Snedeker, C. W. Enos, Elias Cockrell, A. K. VanHorn, J. S. Daniels, B. C. Vandervoort, with the following officers: Col. W. H. Fulkerson, Pres.; H. C. Masssey, Vice-Pres.; J. M. Page, sec.; S. H. Bowman, Treas.; and Robert Newton, General Manager.
In April 1885, Mr. Newton leased the works from the company and in 1888 he became again sole propiertor. He continued this business until 1898, when he associated with him Harry Jones, in business only, purchasing no real estate. On January 1, 1901, Mr. Newton purchased the entire interest of Mr. Jones and again became to sole proprietor. From the firsts establishment of these agricultural wokrs, Mr. Newton looked after its interest to the present time. Mr. Newton at present carries a genreral line of agricultural implements, and the manufacture of his patent "Corrugated Iron Roller and Pulverizer." at the old stand wehre he began in 1863. He manufactures the best Adjustable Steel Roller and Pulverzier on the market.
Bell & Corns began the agricultural business at No. 220 N. Main Street, March 1, 1889. Carried a general line of agricultural implements. Dealers in oils, and repairs for all kinds of machinery sold by them On March 1, 1892, Mr. Corns retired from business, after which it was carried on by James Bell at the old stand. In 1894, Mr. Bell added a feed store and ground corn for feed. In the spring of 1895, A. O. Auten & Co., and worked for them one year. In the spring of 1896, returned to the same business at the old stand, and there continued up to the present date, 1901.
S. L. Hill
Began the agrrcultural implement business on East Pearl Street, opposite A. O. Auten & Co.'s hardware store, November, 1900. Sells farm machinery, wagons, carriages, and all kinds of repairs for machinery. Threshing machines, wind pumps, sewing machines and lightning rods.
West & Son
Began business in Jerseyville in the fall of 1897, on N. State Street. Carry on machine shop and general blacksmithing. Repair all kinds of machinery from a lawn mower to a steam threshing machine. Dealers in steam engines, boilers and threshing machine outfits, and repairs for the same.
George Egelhoff established a carriage factory in Jerseyville in 1860. For many years he did an extensive business. He still runs a repair shop at the old stand. His present carriage repository and shop was the old Presbyterian Church moved from where now the present Presbyterian house stands, to where now stands Mr. Egelhoff's shop on Jefferson Street between Pearl and Arch Streets.
D. P. Pritchett
Livery stable situated on corner of Arch and Jefferson Streets. General livery, feed and sale stable. Began business, July, 1897. Always on hand a good supply of horses and carriages to accommodate the traveling pulbic.
E. A. R. Myers
Livery and feed stables situated on corner of Pearl and Jefferson Streets. Always on hand a large equipment of horses and carriages of all kinds. Sale stable for horses and mules. Good accommodations. Well established and widely known.
Seago & Johnson
North End Livery, feed and sale stable. Began business October 1899. Good horses and carriages constantly on hand at reasonable prices. The proprietors are Charles T. Seago and L. M. Johnson.
John C. Tack
Began the tailoring business first in 1847, at the old Red Corner now occupied by H. H. Brockman's Bakery. From there he removed to the opposite side of the street into what was called the "Bijo" where now stands the brick building belonging to Geo. W. Herdman. From the "Bijo" he moved into A. L. Knapp's building, a little further south of his former stand, where he did business for 12 years up to 1860. From this place in 1860, he removed to South State Street where he built, the present dry goods store of W. G. Burnett. In this building he carried on the tailoring business until 1888, during a period of 28 years. After this time he went to Topeka, Kan., where he remained about one year, thence to the north part of Kansas, and after some years, he returned to Jerseyville, where he now lives a quiet life in his old age.
Fred C. Schmidt
Both tailor and cutter. Began business on corner of State and Prairie Streets, August 1893. Fred C. Schmidt is not the man show does botch work. He guarantees a fit. His increasing trade proves it.
Began business on South State Street, March, 1886. On February 19, 1900, he removed to his present place of business at North State Street. Mr. Horn does his own cutting and tailoring, and guarantees satisfaction. He also carries a line of gents furnishing goods.
Wm. F. Fahey
Began the coal and ice trade, August, 1899. Office located near C. P. & St. L. passenger depot. Dealer in hard and soft coal and ice.
E. D. Slattery
The old reliable coal dealer. Oldest dealer in the city, having sold coal here for 30 years. Office near crossing of C. & A. ad C. P. & St. L. Railroads. Dealer in hard and soft coal.
Dealer in hard and soft coal in connection with his lumber business. Office and lumber yard near C. & A. and C. P. & St. L. R. R. Lines.
Handles soft and hard coal in connection with his lumber trade.
Jacobs and Robb
Also handle a large amount of hard andsoft coal in connection with their lumber and ice trade.
Jacobs & Robb
Located on Arch Street and C. & A. R. R. Dealers in lumber and building material, hard and soft coal, brick, lime and plaster. Also a large dealer in ice. The firm is composed of Fred Jacobs and Alex C. Robb.
Christy Brothers succeeded the J. C. Gaskill Lumber Co., December 23, 1895. Near the crossing of the C. & A. and C. P. & St. L. Railroads. Augustus Christy retired from the firm May 27, 1899. Since then John Christy, sole proprietor, deals in hard and soft coal, lumber and building material.
E. Cockrell Lumber Co.
Successors of C. H. Knapp and E. Cockrell. The present company was incorporated June 1, 1895. They carry a general line of building material, lumber blinds, sash, lime, etc.
John E. Boynton
Dealer in diamonds, jewerly, silverware, and Columbia watches. Old and reliable business firm, having been in business in Jerseyville twenty-five years. Located on South State Street in the Shephard building.
H. A. Tunehorst
Began business in the Snedeker building on Main Street in the fall of 1878. Was burned out on January 17, 1887, but immediately opened business in the Goeke building until the fall of 1887, when he removed to the new Snedeker building, his present location, where he is conducting the jewelry and music business, watch, clock, and jewelry repairing. Mr. Tunehorst is also a graduated optician, having made a thorough study of the eye, and how to correct its deficiencies with glasses. He also carries a fine line of imported cut glass, decorated Chia and art pottery. Also pianos and organs. Mr. Tunehorst commenced in a small way, but by hard work and attention to business he has now one of the finest jewelry stores in this part of the state, and carries a very large stock of high grade goods.
Began business on West Pearl Street, Jerseyville, Ill., September, 1894. Keeps a full line of watches, clocks, and jewelry. Makes a specialty of repairing fine watches and jewelry.
C. C. Borger
Began business on North State Street, Jerseyville, Ill., September 13, 1884. Keeps a full line of watches, clocks and jewelry. Makes a specialty of repairing fine watches, clocks and jewelry.
Gregory R. Smith
Became the successor to George W. Ware in the drug business, March 13, 1882, located on South State Street. In November, 1889, moved his stock of goods to 117 North State Street, to his present place of business. Here he continued in business until 1892, when R. L. Vandenburg ran the business until 1894, when Mr. Smith purchased the stock, since which time he has been sole proprietor. Carries a full line of drugs, paten medicines, mischellaneous and school books, stationary, wall paper, window shades, toliet articles, and everything found in a first clsas drug strore.
Remer & Duhadway
Began business on North State Street, October, 1885. In October, 1890, removed to their own brick building, No. 3, South Main Street, where they are at present located. They carry a general line of drugs, school books, wall paper and window shades.
Geo. W. Ware & Son
Successors to W. S. Pittman Drug Co. Began business on South State Street, No. 105, Sept. 1, 1900. They carry a full line of drugs, wall paper, books stationary, paints, oils, patent medicines; in short, everything usually foundin a first-class drug store.
Successor to F. X. Shcattgen,, who, with Henry Beekman, who remained with him four years, began the butcher business in 1857 and continued without cessation for 44 years. Mr. Mode opened a meat market at the Old Schattgen stand, March 25, 1901, on East Pearl Street. Deals in all kinds of fresh and salt meats.
Opened a meat market in Jerseyville, June 1882, and has followed in continuously to the present time, a little over 19 years. For some 12 years he was associated with James Perring. Since the retirement of Mr. Perring, he has been sole proprietor. Handles fresh and salt meats of all kinds. Fish iin their season.
Alexander & Miller
Opened a meat market in the new Bull building on North State Street, July 24, 1901. Dealers in all kinds of fresh and salt meats found in this market.
Opened a meat market in Jerseyville, May 1895, at No. 203, South State Street. Keeps constantly on hand all kinds of fresh and salt meats. Fish and poultry in their season. Also buys hids, live stock, wool, pelts, and tallow.
Giers & Newberry
Began business at West Pearl Street, in the spring of 1896. They carry on a general millinery buisness in the latest styles.
Mrs. W. S. Kenner
Began business at 119 South State Street, Oct. 24, 1897. Mrs. Kenner has a good business and merits the confidence and respect of a trading public.
Mrs. Clara B. Brooks
Bought the millinery stock of Miss Anna Whitenack, July 17, 1901, at No. 107 North State Street. Carries a full line of millinery goods, hats, ribbons, silks, velvets, feathers and flowers. Mrs. Brooks is well known, having carried on the millinery business for six years, previous, from 1889 to 1895.
F. W. Roerig
Doing a thriving business in the harness, carriage trimming and saddlery. His polite, honorable and genial way of doing business, and treating his customers has build him a trade that will compel him to call in more help,and push out the walls of his building. To keep his word, and accommodate his customers, he works decidedly too hard for a man of his strength. He began business at 215 South State Street, March 5, 1883.
A. F. Pitt
Began the harness and saddlery business on West Pearl Street in the spring of 1872, and moved from there to his present place of business, on North State Street in 1890. Mr. Pitt carries on a general line of harness and saddlery business, making a speciatly of repairing everything along his line.
Fales & Perrine
Successors to Wm. Keith, who established business here in 1851 at 214 South State Street. The present firm beban business here February, 1894. Everything in the line of undertaking constantly on hand. Furniture upholstered and repaired on short notice.
Began business in the Halliday building on North State Street, March 1891. They carry a general line of furniture, carpets and wall paper. Everything in the line of undertaking constantly on hand.
Wallace Leigh & Son, Proprietors, Hotel was fitted up for the reception of guests, March 1, 1870. Has maintained a good reputatio ever since. Ample accommodations and protection for guests.
Mrs. John Dunphy, Proprietor. Opened for the reception of guests, April 1, 1890. This hotel has always had its share of patroage. Guests, safe and well cared for.
Joshua Sweeney, Proprietor. Situated conveniently in the business part of the city, and is well patronized. Accommodations good and guests politely treated. Began business, July 11, 1898.
Theo. Hossner, Proprietor. The first hotel erected in the city. The present proprietor began business in the spring of 1899. A desirable and quiet resting place for guests. There are at present a number of excellent private boarding houses through the city more or less permanent.
George W. Burke started the first blacksmith shop in 1835. The next shop of this kind in Jerseyville was started by Stephen Herron, who began work in the fall of 1835. He also built a shop, and worked for a few years on the farm owned by Kirk Massey, one-fourth of a mile est of Marshall Cooper's farm, stiuated one and one-half miles southwest of Jerseyville, straight line. Afterwards he moved to Grafton and died there. The third shop was started by John M. Smith, who located in Jerseyville, in 1836. He worked at his trade for about five years, when in 1841, he removed to a farm east of Jerseyville, retiring from any further pursuit of his trade.
O. A. Tiff
Opened blacksmith shop at his present stand in 1856, on North State Street. Has carried on general blacksmithing and wagon building up the the present time at the same old stand. He has stuck faithfully to business in one place for 43 years.
Blacksmith, carriage and paint shop, situated on Arch Street, No. 112. Built his shop and began business in it, in the fall of 1888. Mr. Sweeney has worked at his trade in Jerseyville up to this date, 1901, steadily for 41 years. Previous to building and moving into his own shop where he now is, he ran a blacksmith shop on Prairie Street up to 1888. So much for staying qualities. An object lesson for the young men of Jerseyville, get a good thing then stick.
Carries on a wagon and repair shop in connection with and in the shop with Mr. Sweeney. Began work here with Mr. Sweeney in 1888. Makes and repairs all wood work for wagons, plows and all agricultural implements.
Opened up a new blacksmith shop on Arch Street, near N. S. Daniels' hardware store, about June 10, 1901. McFain is a good workman in his line and no reason seems apparent why he should not share largely to the public patronage.
Successor to Peter Dolan & Son. Shop located on Jefferson Street, between Arch and Prairie Streets. Carries on a general blacksmithing business, with horse shoeing specialty. Peter Dolan opened a shop first in Jerseyville in 1880, and in 1888 took his son, James in partnership with him. In 1896, P. Dolan retired from business, leaving his son James, sole proprietor.
Francis M. Dashner
Opened a blacksmith shop on East Spruce Street, March 1895. Does general blacksmith work and horse shoeing, etc. Also has a wheel-wright shop in connection, worked by Jacob Gammerdinger. Any work in wood and iron can be done here.
Wm. H. Massey
Blacksmith shop located on East Prairie Street. Business is conducted by Jefferson King. Mr. Massey also handles farm machinery.
The first photographer ever located in Jerseyville was A. W. Cadman in the yeara 1855 and remained here two years. About 1857, May & Woods began the photograph business and they remained about two years. Afterwards came James Halsted, Mrs. Rinaker, DeLee, who was the first man who made here the card photos. J. C. Strong conducted the business until bought out by Robt. C. Gledhill in April, 1866. Mr. Gledhill continued the business here until he sold out to Decrevel Bros. in December 1898.
Began the photograph business by buying out R. C. Gledhill's old stand, in December, 1898. Is doing a general photograph business in his line and in first-class style.
Whitehead & Alexander
Began business at No. 109 South State Street, August, 1895. They enlarge photos, take negatives for photos, and everything in their line of trade. They are long and well known in Jerseyville, and have the confidence of the public. The firm is composed of E. E. Whitehead and E. L. Alexander.
An Italian, who keeps a wholesale and retail fruit stand on West Pearl Street, began business in the Bull building, August 15, 1900.
An Italian, who keeps a confectionery and fruit stand on South State Street, since February 1894. Handles all kinds of fruits, cigars and tobacco.
Began business on South State Street, May 1888. Moved to more commodious rooms on West Pearl Street, in the Carlin building, in 1891, where they have carried on their trade continuously to the present time, 1901.
Henry F. Bayer
Henry F. Bayer opened his barber shop in Jerseyville in 1860, and died February 9, 1901, after carrying on his trade in Jerseyville, 41 years. After his death, his old stand is now occupied by his two sons, Fred and Otto, where they are now located. His oldest son, Fred, for some 15 years, was running a barber shop in Witchita, Kans., but at the death of his father, returned to Jerseyville, and is now working the trade in his father's stead. These are steady, sober young men, and the community welcomes them among us.
Rollen Collenberger, proprietor of the Palace Barber Shop, located on North Main Street, succeeded by Edward Boehmer, deceased, on June 8, 1899. His business is well patronized.
John L. Harris
Began business on East Arch Street, August 29, 1898. Does everything in his line of business.
Proprietor of a barber shop located on North State Street.
E. O. Perry
Began business on East Pearl Street, opposite State Bank, February, 1901. Competent to do satisfactory work in his line.
L. G. Godar
Began business, June 12, 1900, at No. 110 South State Street at the old stand occupied by Mr. H. Webb. A young man building up a reputation, asks for his share of the patronage of the public.
W. P. Richards & Co.
Began business at No. 217 South State Street, in the spring of 1899. Buy and sell poultry and eggs of all kinds.
Conducts a poultry market on East Pearl Street. He succeeded J. N. Davenport, in the spring of 1901.
William F. Brockman
Began the manufacture of cigars in Jerseyville in 1887, Factory No. 208. Opened his factory at his present place of business on West Pearl Street, in 1892. Manufactures on an average of 175,000 cigars annually.
Carries on tobacco and cigar trade at Factory No. 196, South State Street. Began business in the spring of 1877.
Cigar factory located on North State Street, near Northern Hotel.
Chas. SchmidtCigar factory located at his residence in west part of city
S. D. Stanley
Began business, January, 1898 at No. 108, South State Street. Buys and sells feed stuffs of all kinds. Also every variety of field and garden seeds usually kept in a first-class store of this kind.
Clarence M. Scribner
General feed and flour store. Located on West Arch Street. Began business in 1900.
Leigh & Son
Wallace Leigh opened a bakery and confectionery store on South State Street in 1852, where he remained unitl the Commercial Hotel building was completed in 1874. In 1881, his son, Austin, became a parter and the firm name beceme Wallace Leigh & Son. Their ice cream has become famous through a wide section of the country.
Herman F. Brockman
Herman F. Brockman runs a bakery and confectionery store on North State Street, where he has been located for twelve years. His ice cream parlar and soda fountain receive a liberal patronage. He manufactures choice candies, and enjoys a large trade.
Began business at No. 205 South State Street, October 1900. John knows how to feed the hungry, and to bake bread, pies and cakes, that will make the customer come back.
Henry H. Brockman
Began the bakery and confectionery business on North State Street, in 1887. Remaining there one year, he removed to more commodious quarters in 1888, to the large brick building on the northwest corner of State and Exchange Streets, where he has carried on a lucrative business to this date, 1901. Mr. Brockman know how to feed the hungry withthe best of bread, pies, cakes, etc., as he furnishes everything found in a first-class bakery and confectionery.
J. G. Brown
Began business in Jerseyville, July, 1892. Office on North State Street, corner of Main and Pine Streets. Carries a full line of veterinary medicines and does general vererinary service.
R. B. Booker
One of the experienced vererinary surgeons, is located on East Exchange Street, near Jefferson Hotel. Also has an office in Alton.
Jerseyville Mutual Co. F. I. Co.
The Jerseyville Mutual County Fire Insurance Co., was incorporated in February 22, 1861, and reorganized in 1888. The officers are: D. Q. Trotter, president; Col. W. H. Fulkerson, vice-president; M. C. Stelle, treasurer; Charles S. White, secretary. The directors for many years have been D. Q. Trotter, M. C. Stelle, F. W. Schroeder, Andrew Beiermann, Col. W. H. Fulkerson, John I. White, Edward Trabue, Orin Palmer and L. L. Kirby.
As its nane indicates, the company is strictly mutial in its plan; in other words, when a policy holder burns out, all the policy holders together pay the loss pro rata, with the amounts of their several policies, and each and every policy holder, as a voice in the general management of the affairs of the company. The only salaried officer is the secretary; who received only $100.00 per year.
This amount with the incidental expenses in the matter of books, postage and stationery, constitues the entire running expenses of the company. The following will illustrate its cheapness: Old Line Stock Company; Amount of policy, $1,000; rate per $1,000 insured, $1.50; premium, $15.00. Jerseyville Mutual: Amount of policy, $1,000; rate per $1,000 insured, $.25: premium, $2.50. Thus saving in favor of this company on the first cost of $12.50. Now the records of the company show that they average rate os assessment on the amount of premium rates has been in round numbers for the last 10 years on 5 year policies, 10 per cent. Taking this as a fair average, and the records back for 30 years prove it to be so, it will be found the final cost of the above policy to the holder, to be 10 per cent of $50.00 the amount of the premium notes, or $5.00 which sum, added to the original cost of $2.50, makes the total cost of $7.50, for 5 years on a $1,000 policy, or $7.50 cheaper than that of a Stock Company.
Special attention is called to the fact that by a new bylaw passed recently by the Board of Directors, the company now insures live stock from loss from fire and lightning anywhere in the county while in possession of the owner, and that hay and grain in the stack, or in store on the premises on the insured are also included, and the the above provisions are made to apply to all poicies now in effect.
Cutting's Insurance Agency
Located in the Gledhill building on West Pearl Street. The Cutting Insurance Agency has a record of 40 years for honorable dealing, and has paid to Jersey County patrons the enormous sum of over $130,000.00. This agency represents 15 of the first-class fire, lightning, tornado, plate galss and Employer's Liability insurance companies. Also, represent accident insurance companies on all reliabel plans at lowest rates. Also, Life Insurance of every kind, such as Ordinary Life, Limited Life, Endowment, Annuity and Tontine. The members of the firm are Leonard M. Cutting and David E. Beaty.
Office over State Bank. The following first-class companies are represented: Phenix, Aetna, Germania, American, Commercial Union and Glen's Falls. Ed. D. Griggs, solicitor.
Miss Edith A. Stelle succeeded her father, D. R. Stelle, after his death in the spring of 1901. This agency represents the following fire and tornado insurance companies: Continental, Germania, Freeport, Ill., Concordia, Western Underwriters and American. Office located in the Bull building on West Pearl Street. George B. Stelle, a representative of the Frankllin Life Insurance Co., of Springfield, Ill. Also represents the various fire insurance companies, represented by his sister, Miss Edith A. Stelle, doing the soliciting and traveling part of the work.
The Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. is represented by P. J. Monahan, Ass't. Supt. of the Alton District. Office over State Bank. A. T. Ankrom resident agent of the same company for several years.
George A. Rowden
Represents Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Co., of Philadelphia, Pa. Also elected township assessor in 1894, and is the present incumbent.
George P. Smith
Contractor and builder.
General contractor and builder. Shop on Washington and Prairie Streets.
Carpenter and builder
Contractor and builder. Long experience.
C. R. Snyder
Contractor and builder
H. C. Derby
Contractor and builder
Wm. Embly and A. N. Embly
Office on East Arch Street. Many of the most beautiful public buildings and residences in the city have been planned by these gentlemen.
Mason, bricklayer and plasterer.
Wm. G. Nally
For 32 years, plasterer and bricklayer
Mason, bricklayer and plasterer. Old and reliable workman. Followed his trade here for 45 years.
Bricklayers, masons and plasterers. Well known anf reliable workmen.
Mason, bricklayer and plasterer.
W. S. Henderson
Mason, bricklayer and plasterer.
W. F. Krotzsch
Wm. F. Krotzsch keeps a well equipped painting establishment. Paints buildings, signs and fresco work. Graining, glazing, paper hanging. Agent for white and enameled letters.
A. B. Purinton
Painting and paper hanging
Painting and paper hanging
A. W. Kennedy
Painting and paper hanging
J. J. Snow
Painting and paper hanging
With Cutting's Insurance Agency
With Chapman & Locke, investmetn bankers.
With Thos. F. Fern's Law Office
Alice M. Cory
In J. M. Page's office, Manager Cold Spring God Mining and Tunnel Company
Circuit Court stenographer
In office of O. D. Leach. Claim Department of C. & A. R. R.
Photo of C. P. & St. L. R. R. Depot
W. C. Jones - agent C. & A. R. R.;
F. C. Rutherford - day operator;
L. L. Miller - night operator
Nathaniel E. Mann - Agent of C. P. & St. L. R. R.
C. F. Cunningham - operator.
United States Express Company on East Pearl Street, in the old National Hotel building. H. F. Hill, agent
Adam's Express Company on West Pearl Street, in Joel E. Cory's Hardware store. Joel E. Cory, agent.
Source: [History of Jerseyville, Illinois 1822 to 1901, by Rev. Marshall M. Cooper, Jerseyville Republican Print. 1901]