Return to Home Page
The Jerseyville Granite and Marble Works was incorporated March 6, 1899, with W. H. Houghtlin, president; Geo. H. VanHorne, secretary and treasurer; D. M. Houghtlin, manager. Handle granite and marble tombstones and monuments of all sizes and descriptions. Previous to incorporation the business was conducted by W. H. Houghtlin for many years.
Wm. Johns, proprietor; C. W. Johns, manager. Began the laundry business by buying out the business of Wm. Limbrick, July 22, 1901. Mr. Johns was born in Medora, Ill., October 23, 1879. A graduate of the class of 1897, of the Medora High School. Immediately, after, he began the laundry trade at Shreveport, Louisiana, and completed his trade in a large steam laundry in Chicago, Ill. His experience and training in his business merit the confidence and partronage of the public.
Cabinet and Repair Shop
Lucian C. Derby carries on at North State Street, a cabinet and repair shop. Repairs and varnishes fine furniture. Guns and bicycles repaired on short notice. Also does an extensive business in picture frames and other work along that line.
Book and News Stand
Oscar Hill, proprietor of the only news and book store in Jerseyville, succeeded M. L. Hill & Co., in 1878. He has conducted the business ever since, and is located on North State Street. Deals in miscellaneous and school books, stationery, newspaper adn periodicals.
Geo. A. Fry
opened up business for himself in the Beatty building on South State Street, January, 1901. Steam heating and general plumbing. Mr. Fry has followed his trade here years previous and is well and favorably known. Also, carries a line of stoves.
Shafer & Mitzel began the manufactory of sod water, May 10, 1894. Mr. Shafer retired from the firm in 1896, since then A. F. Mitzel has been sole proprietor. Factory located on corner of Prairie Street.
James M. Finch began the transfer business by running transfer wagons, and busses from depots to hotels in the city, in the spring of 1866. He has followed industriously the same business to the present time, 1901, during a period of 35 years. That means success.
H. D. Bull, D. D. S.
For many years has practiced dentistry in Jerseyville and has his office over Cory's Hardware Store in the Bull building.
Keeps a fish stand on East Pearl Street, first door east of State Bank.
Dr. A. S. Hunt
Dr. A. S. Hunt, homeopathic physician, located in the Bull building on West Pearl Street, 1900.
M. J. Dolan, Attorney
M. J. Dolan, Attorney-at-Law, located on South State Street. Was State's Attorney from 1896 to 1900.
Sam Lee's Laundry
Sam Lee, a Chinaman, conducts a laundry on South State Street.
Thomas F. Ferns bought the Villinger opera house property in 1900. He at once remodeled and enlarged the store room below and the opera house above. A large, modern stage, with the latest scenery, was constructed, and Jerseyville now has a convenient and inviting place for entertainment and amusement. W. H. Schroeder is the present manager.
Source: [History of Jerseyville, Illinois 1822 to 1901, by Rev. Marshall M. Cooper, Jerseyville Republican Print. 1901]