Return to Main Page
The first practicing physician in Jerseyville was Dr. A. H. Burritt, who came here in 1833 before the town was laid out, adn was among its first settlers. His home and office were in a log cabin which he erected on the corner of Exchange and Pleasant Streets. He was one of the old allopathic school. He died in 1875.
Dr. Edward Augustus D'Arcy, was the next, coming in the same year, 1833, and settled on land, which he entered, north of Jerseyville. He was born in Hanover, Morris County, N. J., April 15, 1796, and died in Jerseyville, April 25, 1863, at the age of 67 years.
Dr. John W. Lott came to Jerseyville in 1834. He practiced only a short time, when he returned to New Jersey, his native State.
Dr. James C. Perry, a native born Scotchman, who had served in the British army for seven years, came to Jerseyville in 1838. He was considered a skillful practitioner, and an upright man in all his practice, and was never known to oppress the poor for payment of medical aid. The writer remembers well going after him in time of sickness. He practiced here until his death, which occurred, May 1859.
Dr. Edwin A. Casey came next, about 1840, and practiced successfully until his death, March 22, 1874, at the age of 66 years. He lived in the first house west of the Baptist Church.
Dr. R. H. Van Dyke, came next, about the year 1840, and was one of the prominent physicians until his death, September 6, 1845.
Dr. James Bringhurst came to Jerseyville about 1850, and entered into partnetship with Dr. D'Arcy. From 1850 to 1857 he practiced in Jerseyville, Springfield and Chicago, and from 1857 to 1861, in Jerseyville only. In April, 1861, he enlisted as surgeon in the 28th Illinois Infantry. He was afterwards promoted to Brigade Surgeon. His health in the army failing, he returned to Jerseyville where he remianed a short time, when he removed to Alton. He died in Ruyle Township June 23, 1870
Dr. R. D. Farley was one of the early doctors, coming sometime in the "forties". In 1852 he was county physician. He was born Dec. 3, 1808, and died in Jerseyville, Sept. 27, 1884. He was the first homeopathic physician in the city. He was well and highly esteemed by all who knew him.
Dr. Augustus R. Knapp came to Jerseyville in 1844, and had a large extensive practice, and died at his residence July 13, 1862.
Dr. John L. White was one of Jerseyville's prominent physicians. While here, he was married to Miss Hattie Hawley, in 1858. He was born in Massachusetts in 1832, came to Jerseyville in 1852, and in 1870 he moved to Bloominton, Ill., where he still resides.
Dr. H. C. Harriman in the "fities," became one of the physicians of Jerseyville, and died here March 12, 1858.
Dr. Wm. Hutchinson, a native of Kentucky, a much honored and beloved physician, practiced here a number of years until his death, which occurred, Jan. 24, 1864
Dr. John B. Hamilton, second child of Rev. B. B. and Mary A. Hamilton, studied medicine under Dr. J. O Hamilton of Jerseyville, and after graduating at Rush Medical College, February, 1870, he formed a partnership with his uncle, Dr. J. O. Hamilton. In May, 1869, he became a member of the State Medical Society, and at a meeting was appointed a member of the committee on surgery. He rose so rapidly to high positions in his profession that he was commissioned Surgion-General of the United States Marines. He died in Chicago, 1899.
Dr. Charles A. Knapp, M. D. was the son of Dr. A. R. Knapp. He studied medicine with his father and afterwards graduated from McDowell's Medical College, St. Louis, Mo. He commenced the practice of medicine in Kane, Greene County, Ill., and after two years located in Jerseyville, where he took up the practice of his father who then went to California and returned in 1854 On account of failing health, Dr. Knapp removed with his family to Clalifornia where he died in 1856.
Dr. Augustus R. Knapp came to Jerseyville in 1844, where he had an extensive practice. He was a member of the constitutional convention to revise teh Constitution of Illinois in 1847. In 1849 he went to California whree he was quite successful in his search for gold. He died in Jerseyville, July 13, 1862. Mrs. Knapp survived her husband until 1868.
C. G. Buffington, M. D., was born in Jerseyville, Ill., May 22, 1858. In 1881, he graduated at the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis. Returning to Jerseyville about one year afterwards, he located at Fieldon. His practice was so successful that it extened over Jersey, Greene, and Calhoun Counties, and was one of the largest and most lucrative in the county.
Joseph Ormond Hamilton, M. D. was born in Monroe County, Ill., April 2, 1824. He was the youngest child of Thomas M. and Alpha Hamilton. From 1843 to 1845 he attended at the Ohio University at Athens, Ohio. He then began the study of medicine with Dr. Silas Parker. He afterwards, continued his studies with Dr. Wm. Blackstone. In 1846, he came to Jerseyville and practiced under Dr. James C. Perry, an old and honored practitioner of Jerseyville. In 1849, he attended lectures at the Medical University of Missouri, graduating on the 4th of March, 1850. He then commenced the practice of medicine in Grafton, Illinois. In May, 1851, he was married to Margarette Perry, daughter of Dr. Perry of Jerseyville. In 1852, he entered into partnership with his father-in-law, with whom he practiced till January, 1853. Dr. Perry died in 1858.
Dr. Hamilton was one of the most celebrated physicians of the West. Much of his writings can be found in the American Medical Association Journal, Volumes of 1870 and 1872. He was President of the Illinois Medical Society, convened at Peora, May 1871. He was a delegate to the American Medical Associations held at Cincinnati, New Orleans,Washington, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.
In 1867, he was appointed surgeon for the United States pension office of this district, and acted as examining surgeon for six of the most prominent insurance companies in the United States. He died, August 21, 1882.
Charles W. Enos, M. D. located in Jerseyville, Jan. 29, 1874. He was born in Madison Co., Illinois, December 13, 1849 and is the son of Dr. C. R. and Eliza Ann (Thorpe) Enos. When young he received a good education, attending the State Normal School at Bloomington, Ill., and the State University at Champaign. After teaching for a while he decided to study medicine, with a view of making that his life work.
He gradutated at the Homeopathic Medical College of Missouri in 1874, and received the prize for surgery. He then came to Jerseyville and opend an office on the day of his arrival, and within two hours received his first patient who was dangerous with pneumonia, being the daughter of David M. Houghtlin. He was a marvel of success. In 1881 he took a course of lectures on the eye and ear at the New York Opthalmic Hospital, also an operating course on the eye and ear under the celebrated Dr. Knapp. He has operated as a specialist with these organs, and stands at the head of his profession.
He was a devoted Christian man, and a temperance worker.
T. A. Kingston, M. D. was born in St. Louis, Mo., January 22, 1832. He was reared in Collinsville, Ill., where he received his early education and entered upon the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Drake of Collinsville. He graduated from the old McDowell Medical College of St. Louis.
At the opening of the war he entered the service as contract surgeon in the department under Gens. Thomas, Vandevre, Frank P. Blair and Kirkpatrick, under whose department he served through the campaign of Georgia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, with honor and credit as a surgeon, and a kindly compassionate man whose labors among the sick and wounded are treasures gathered up for him by the All-Seeing Eye, who shall render due reward.
At the close of the war, in 1865, he entered upon the practice of his profession, locating at Fidelity, Ill., where he gained a large and lucrative practice.
On April 30, 1870, he was married to Miss Kate Frost, of Fidelity. Three children are the fruits of this marriage, Mrs. Louis Jacoby, Jerseyville, Ill., and Misses Josie and Lula. Dr. Kingston died at his home in Jerseyville, Ill., January 8, 1900, at the age of 67 years, 11 months and 17 days.
Albro B. Allen, M. D. was born in Lincoln County, Missouri, April 23, 1840. He was the youngest son of Edwin and Jane Allen, and the last living of seven children. He received his early education in the public schools of his county. At a very early age he espressed a desire for the stufy of medicine. He accordingly entered the Missouri Medical College in 1855 and graduated from that institution in 1858 at the age of 18 years. In the spring of 1859, he located in Hamburg, Ill., and there began the practice of his profession. After practicing there for two years he removed to Hardin, Calhoun County, Ill., where he practiced for 12 years. Leaving Hardin he practiced for about two years in Kane, thence in 1875, he located in Jerseyville where he remained, (except a short interval he was in St. Louis,) up to the time of his death.
He as married in 1867 to Mrs. M. E. Revere in Council Bluffs, Iowa, each possessing a daughter by a former marriage. On the 25th of February, 1892, they celebrated the 25th anniversary of their marriage.
Dr. Allen was a specialist in his profession, and was known and sought after far and wide. He was emphatically a benefactor in his day. A man of strong will power and indomitable courage, he bore patiently his sufferings, and in a cheerful spirit, when others with less will-power would have succumbed. He died at his home, surrounded by family and friends, March 25, 1899, at the age of 58 years, 11 months and 2 days.
George H. Knapp, M. D. was born in Kane, Greene County, Ill., April 19, 1840. He was the youngest son of Dr. A. R. and Cahterine E. Knapp. He received his early education in the public schols of Jerseryville, but finished his literary education in Illinois College at Jacksonville, Ill.
He studied medicine first with his father, Dr. A. R. Knapp, and afterwards in the office with Dr. A. K. Van Horne. He graduated at the Missouri Medical College in St. Louis, Mo., wtih high honors, in April, 1861. In the fall of 1861, he was commissioned assistant surgion of the 61st Reigment, Illinois Volunteers Infantry, of which J. B. Frey was Colonel. He was again commissioned surgeon of the same regiment and served during most of the civil war, participating in many hard and bloody battles. While in front of Vicksburg he attended Gen. U. S. Grant through a severe sickness, and afterwards General Grant was his warm friend.
On October 20, 1868, he was married to Miss Henrietta F. Veitch, of St. Louis. To them were born three children: Maude, now the wife of Hon. Harry W. Pogue; Veitch and Will B. Knap, all of whom survive him. He practiced medician first in Jerseyville, Mason City, Ill., St. Louis and during his last years, practiced again in Jerseyville.
He died September 20, 1895, after a few hours of great pain, arising from stomach troubles. As a physician he stood at the head of his profession and was a social and geial friend and companion, as the writer knew him well.
Henry, Z. Gill, M. D. was born in Pennsylvania, Oct. 6, 1831. He was a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia and began practicing in Columbus, Ohio, where he remained until the breaking out of the Civil War, when he enlisted in the three months' service and served four and one-half years. He arose from assistant surgeon to surgeoon of volunteers of the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, which position he held to the close of the war. He then spent two years in Europe, and after returning, settled in St. Louis, and, in connection with Dr. W. S. Edgar, pubished the "Medical Journal"
On April 26, 1873, he came to Jerseryville where he practied until in 1881, he took charge of the Southern Illinois Penitentiary, and in November, 1883, resigned to accept the chair of surgery in the Worcester Medical College at Cleveland, Ohio.
George Sumrall, M. D. came to Jerseyville, Mar. 1, 1872. In 1876, he was mover, and drafter before Jersey County Medical Society, of a greeting to State Medical Association, praying that body to secure such legislative action as would compel higher medical education and partially rid our state of quacks. In response to said greeting, the State Medical Association appointed a committee which spent the next winter at Capital, memorialized the Legislature, and secured the enactment of our state medical act and the appointment of our State Board of Health, which has saved to our state millions of dollars, and to her citizens untold sufferings.
W. W. Estebrooke, M. D. came to Jerseyville from Chicago in August 1890. He was a cultured gentleman and a physician of high standing, of the homeopathic school. After a successful professional career, he retired from active practice and returned to Chicago in November 1898, where he now resides.
Dr. Ward, also practiced in Jerseyville for some ten years, but mostly in Fieldon, Illinois
Dr. Charles Edgar, another physician of the past, a graduate of medicine, but owned and conducted a drug store for many years, I am told did but little practicing.
There were some other physicians who practiced medicine in Jerseyville and attained some prominence, and I woudl be pleased to write concerning them more at length, but reliable information seems impossible to be obtained. Among this number is Dr. Lyons, who was early in the "sixties" a partner with Dr. DuHadway, an assistant surgeon in the Union Army, and a cousin of General Lyons who was killed at the battle of Wilson Creek. He was considered a smart, cultured gentleman and a good physician.
Source: Excerts from History of Jerseyville, Illinois 1822 - 1901 by Rev. Marshall M. Cooper - Page 123 - 130 - Transcribed by KP]