Illinois Genealogy Trails

Jo Daviess County, Illinois
Churches

line


Abandoned Church
Abandoned Church
line

Baptist Church - Warren


Warren Baptist Church

Catholic Church - Apple River


Apple River CAtholic Church

Episcopal Church - Galena


Galena Episcopal Church

First Methodist - Elizabeth

First Methodist
 

First Presbyterian - Galena



 

Free Will Baptist - Warren

 The Free Will Baptist Church was organized in 1864, at a meeting held at the Burnett House. Their church was built in 1855. Professor Dunn, now of Hillsdale College, Michigan, took the active management of organization and dedication, although Rev. Horace G. Woodworth was the first regular pastor. A Sabbath school was organized in connection with the church; Charles Cole being the first superintendent. Rev. R. W. Bryant is the present pastor, and Mr. A. M. Jones, superintendent of the Sabbath school. [From the History of Jo Daviess County; H F KEET & CO, 1878]

Grace Evangelical United Brethren - Woodbine

50TH ANNIVERSARY

Morseville Church

Morseville Church
Photo contributed by Bonnie Selig

Presbyterian Church - Warren

Warren Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian church was organized August 8, 1864, in the Baptist Church, where meetings were held for some time by Rev. John W. Cunningham, who preached their first sermon. Their church was built in the same year, being superintended by their first regular pastor, Rev. E. H. Avery. After six years Mr. Avery was superseded by Rev. H. P. Thayer; then Rev. G. H. Coit, then Rev. E. B. Miner, who was followed by the present pastor, Rev. S. S. Cryer. In 1877, an addition was made to the church, giving it a commodious auditorium. It is entirely free from debt. The first Board of Elders consisted of D. C. Allen, Manley Rogers and Thomas J. Graham. At present, the session is composed of Manley Rogers, E. H. Morris, J. N. Parker. G. W. Pepoon, L. E. Morris and W. R. Colburn. Junius Rogers first acted as Sabbath-school superintendent, which office is now filled by Manley Rogers. The school has a membership of about 160, while the number of church members is estimated at 135. In 1859, by the personal endeavors of Mr. M. M. Yeakle, a large stone building was erected for a Lutheran Church, but as Mr. Yeakle failed before its completion, it was never dedicated to the use of that branch of the Christian church.  [From the History of Jo Daviess County; H F KEET & CO, 1878]

 

 

Saint Ann's Catholic - Warren


St. Ann's Catholic Church
 

Saint Marys - Elizabeth


St Marys
 

Saint Mathews Evangelical Lutheran - Galena


Evangelical Church
 

St. Michael's Catholic Church
Galena, IL

st. Michael Church
 

Saint Paul Lutheran - Elizabeth


St. Paul Lutheran Church
 

Schapeville - Zion Presbyterian Church


Zion Presbyterian
Photo contributed by Bonnie Selig
 

Stockton Evangelical Church


Stockton Evangelical
 



HOME
Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by Genealogy Trails