Newspaper Articles

Captain B Franklin killed by a horse thief –Thief captured and hung
Dongola, Ill, Dec 21, 1868
---ton [Fulton?]Gazette 
A very ---ous [vicious? heinous?]  affair took place near Reynoldsburg, Johnson County, Illinois Saturday, about noon, resulting in the death of Captain Buck Franklin, a very prominent citizen of that vicinity.
It seems that on Saturday forenoon three men (Strangers) were passing Captain. Franklin’s place on horseback.  One of them proposed to trade horses with the Captain.  Captain Franklin asked a considerable difference between the
two horses, which the stranger quickly agreed to give.  But Captain Franklin was suspicious of the stranger and he declined to trade.  The other two strangers rode on, while stranger number one lingered around the vicinity until the Captain
went into an adjoining field to pick corn.  Then the stranger went into the barn and exchanged horses and went on.  Captain Franklin was immediately informed of the fact, and with a neighbor started in pursuit of the fellow and overtook him
a short distance from the house, when the fellow turned and fired three shots at the Captain, killing him instantly.  The ruffian then took to the woods.  The matter was made known in the vicinity and the people turned out en masse to arrest
the murderer.  He was captured about three o’clock, P. M., and was taken back to Dr. Fern’s office and placed under guard for the night.  About 12 o’clock at night a posse of men proceeded to the Doctor’s office, and demanded of the
guard the ruffian.  The guard refused to admit them, whereupon they forced open the door and took him, and hung him to a tree nearby.  He was allowed to hang there until Sunday.  At 1 o’clock the coroner took charge of the body.  The
two men that were with him returned and gave themselves up.  They were held to an examination and discharged.  It appeared they were with the murderer but a short time, having met him the day before, traveling in the same direction.  The murderer professed to be from Texas, and from his confessions he was a hard ruffian.

Jonesboro (Illinois) Gazette dated 26 Dec 1868
Contributed by Margaret Rathunde, descendant of Capt. Franklin

Johnson County Journal February 4, 1881
From Grantsburg……
(Mr. S. D. Poor, of Grantsburg, sent us a subscriber for the Journal and the following news items last Friday from his town, for which we are thankful.)-ED.
Corn and hay are scarce.
Times about Grantsburg are dull.
Corn is worth from 40 to 50 cts. Wheat $1.00
Our merchants are on the stool of do nothing.
P. Howell and family are improving in health.
It is the worst time for collecting for many years.
The measles has visited nearly every family in this vicinity.
There have been five or six deaths near here this winter.
Farmers are doing nothing but getting wood and feeding.
‘Coon skins are the only legal tender we have. There has been six or eight hundred bought at the ‘burg this
[My great grandfather, Abraham Bass passed away near Grantsburg in February, 1881.This newspaper article indicates a lot of sadness was prevalent in the community]
Feb. 11, 1881 Johnson County Journal
L F Walker, the corpulent and jolly doctor, of Grantsburg, was in this place (Vienna) Tuesday.
It seems some advertisements were entered in "Locals and Other Matters" May 6, 1881
I will sell all kinds of groceries cheaper for cash than any man. ----L. G. Simmons
L.G. Simmons keeps the finest stock of tobaccoes and cigars ever kept in Grantsburg.
I will save you ten cents on every dollar’s worth you trade with me.—L. G. Simmons
All kinds of patent medicine kept by L. G. Simmons.
Go to L.G. Simmons’ for fresh oysters and cheese’.
You can get five and one-half pounds of good coffee for one dollar at L. G. Simmons, also nine and one-half pounds extra sugar for 1 dollar.
In the next week’s edition of Johnson County Journal I found the following---
You can get SIX POUNDS of the best coffee at M. Israel for ONE DOLLARS.

July 29, 1881
L.G. Simmons, of Grantsburg has a nice line of tinware which he will sell cheap.

Friday, August 12, 1881
L. G. Simmons and L. H. Frizzell, two handsome young gentleman of Grantsburg, made a bold rush for this place with their fine blooded team last Sunday. After spending a few hours among their friends pleasantly, they left for the ‘Burg.
They are full of life and fun.

contributed by Faye Bowman

The Recent Habeas Corpus Case at Vienna—The Child Given to the Father.

Several days ago we stated than an interesting habeas corpus case then on trial before Judge Baker in the Johnson County circuit court, that a young man named Hodge and a daughter of Capt. Alf Cutting were the parties, and the contest for possession of a child—a little boy. At the time the item referred to was written, we were ignorant of the real facts in the case, and in order that we might not do either party injustice, refrained from comment.

Since then, we have learned more about the matter, and now are able to give our readers the facts, as we gathered them from a gentleman who was in Vienna during the progress of the trial, and who put himself to some trouble to learn all about it and the history of the parties in the suit.

In 1872, a young lawyer named Berry Hodge and Miss Alice Cutting, a beautiful and accomplished young lady, daughter of Capt. Alf Cutting, the well-known boat builder at Metropolis, were married. Mr. and Mrs. Hodge lived together for about a year, or until February 1873, when a child, a little boy, was born to them. They were, in all appearance, happily mated, and much attached to each other. If there was ever any cause of disagreement or difficulty between them, no one but themselves was aware of it.

Shortly after the birth of their child Mr. Hodge was attacked with hemorrhage of the lungs, and failing to obtain relief from home physicians, he resolved to go to Colorado, in the hope of regaining his health. His wife accompanied him as far as this city on his journey, and the two spent a day or two together here before he proceeded on his way to the "Far West." Mrs. Hodge returned to Metropolis, and Mr. Hodge went to Colorado.

Husband and wife kept up a correspondence, and the letters which passed between them were full of expressions of love, and hope for that speedy recovery of the husband.

Mr. Hodges spent six months in Colorado at the expiration of which time, having regained his health, and liking the country, he concluded to locate there. He wrote to his wife informing her of his intentions and requesting her to go to him. In answer to this request she refused to go unless he should come to Metropolis after her. In the spring of 1874, having been successful in business, Mr. Hodge came to Metropolis for his wife, but she declined to go with him. Before coming he had several times urged her to go with him, but she steadily refused to do so. He also sent money for the support of the child, but his wife returned the money to him without making any explanation of her reasons for so doing.

At the last term of the Massac County circuit court, the wife, Mrs. Hodge, filed her bill for divorce. Information of this action on the part of his wife being made known to the husband, he came on to defined himself. Arriving at Metropolis, Hodge wrote a letter to his wife urging her to forget the past, and go with him to his home in Colorado. To this note he never received a reply. Despairing of ever getting his wife to go with him to Colorado, Hodge resolved to take legal steps to get possession of the child. To this end he sued out a writ of habeas corpus for the custody of the child. The case was tried before Judge Baker in the Johnson County circuit court last week, and resulted in the father obtaining the custody of the boy.

Our informant states that during all the trial there was nothing brought out to show that there had ever been trouble between the husband and wife; but on the contrary, while they lived together, they were, at least to the outside world, the happiest when alone together. Their correspondence, which was of a most interesting character, would lead one to believe they were so much attached to one another as ever.

Indeed, the whole affair seems to be an inexplicable mystery, and it is doubted whether the parties themselves really know the reason leading to their estrangement.

Mrs. Hodge is a most accomplished and beautiful young lady, now about twenty-one years of age. Mr. Hodge is in his twenty-fifty year, and represented to be a young lawyer of extraordinary attainments in his profession and very industrious.

Judge W. H. Green, of Cairo, and R. W. McCartney, of Metropolis, appeared for Mr. Hodge, and Judge J. H. Mulkey, of Cairo, and Judge Allen, of Carbondale, for Mrs. Hodge.

--The Cairo Daily Bulletin, Tuesday, 14 Dec 1875; transcribed by Darrel Dexter. 

Shot His Father and Mother

Anna, Ills., July 17 -- A tale of depravity hard to believe comes from Goreville, a small town on the western edge of Johnson county, removed from railways and telegraph stations.
The other night when everyone was asleep a man, supposed at the time to be a burglar, broke into the house of a farmer named Morris Sullivan.  On being spoken to he fired a pistol
at the bed in which Sullivan and his wife were sleeping.  The ball struck Sullivan in the breast, inflicting fatal injuries.  Mrs. Sullivan jumped out of bed and threw herself upon the
murderer, but the pistol was discharged again, and she fell wounded in the left breast.  Her injuries are pronounced fatal.  By this time the alarm had been given and the neighbors
came in.  On securing the murderer he was found to be the Sullivans' 16-year-old son.  He is now in jail.  A few months ago the boy poisoned some water, which he gave to his
parents, but this attempt at murder failed.  He gives as his reason for committing the crime that he was tired of waiting for the old folks' property.

(Decatur Morning Review, Decatur, Illinois, July 18, 1890)
(transcribed and submitted by Nan Starjak)

Johnson County Mystery

A murder which is attracting extraordinary attention among the people of Johnson county, occurred near Vienna last Saturday week. John Maupin was found dead, shot through the heart, in the yard of C. M. Ferris, a prominent farmer of that section.  Ferris claims that three men called him to his door late at night, and opened fire on him; that he returned the fire and in the morning found Maupin's dead body.
   The coroner's jury, after an exhaustive investigation, found a verdict against Marcus L. Burnett and implicating Charles M. Ferris as accessory.  The affair is shrouded in mystery which later developments may clear up.  Both Ferris and Burnett
are prominent farmers and citizens of Johnson county.  Both have taught school and are of good families.  Ferris made the race for the state senate several years ago.

Carbondale Free Press, Carbondale, Illinois,  September 2, 1899
transcribed and submitted by Nan Lambert Starjak

Oldest Couple in Vienna

      A correspondent in the Vienna Democrat from New Burnside claims the oldest couple and the longest married in Johnson County. They are William Wood and wife. He was born July 22, 1821, and she Sept. 22, 1818, so at their next birthday, he will be 80 and she will be 83. They were married June 29, 1841, so their next anniversary will be 60 years of wedded life.

(Jonesboro Gazette, Jonesboro, Illinois, 26 Jan 1901)

 (transcribed and submitted by Darrel Dexter)

Goreville Fire


The little town of Goreville was almost wiped out by fire early last Sunday morning.  Two stores and a bank were the only business houses that escaped.  The fire originated in a vacant store building.  The total loss was $32,000 with insurance of about $15,000.

(Jonesboro Gazette, Jonesboro, Illinois, Saturday, 17 May 1907)

(transcribed and submitted by Darrel Dexter)

Old Vienna Landmark Gone


Congressman Chapman is having the old frame building located near the west end of Vine Street torn down and in so doing is removing one of the old landmarks of the city.  It will be remembered that the building is a part of what was the old Perkins House, and it is said that the first Masonic lodge ever in our city was held in an upstairs room in this building.  It is said to have been build in 1842, and the cornice to the building was of hewn popular logs 40 feet long and in the top of them a trench was cut to form gutters for carrying off the water.   Vienna Democrat.

(Jonesboro Gazette, Jonesboro, Illinois, Saturday, 31 May 1907)

(transcribed and submitted by Darrel Dexter)

Stokes - Martin Fight

Vienna Times, June 6, 1907

On Tues about 11, Lemma Stokes and Sam Martin became involved in a difficulty about 180 yards over the line in Johnson, west of Regent; and it is throught that Stokes is fatally hurt and may die at any time.  Bot men really live over the
line in Union Co, but the _______ took place in this county.  As we get the particulars, Stokes was working in a field and Martin came along the road and they became involved in a difficulty, something about the closing up of a road in which
each was interested.   The two men were alone, and nobody saw the scrap, so far as it known; but it is stated that most likely Martin struck Stokes with something in the combat and took the hoe away from him and struck him over the head
with it, leaving him unconscious and he has remained that way ever since, not being able to tell his side of the story.  He is badly gashed about the head and otherwise bruised on the arm and wrists.  Martin was hurt some, but not much.  Martin
was arrested and taken before Esq. Theo Burlison, who bound him over in the sum of $750, pending a preliminary one day next week.  Both are men of family, and Martin is a brother, or half-brother of W. H. and James Martin of Goreville
Twp.  This is an affair to be regretted, occurring between neighbors.  State's Attorney Cowan went up yesterday to look over the ground and acertain what he could in the matter.
Vienna Times, undated
We spoke last week of the combat between Sam Martin & Lem Stokes which took place near the west side of this county in Regent Pct, Thur June 4, and that Stokes, who got the worst of it, was most likely fatally hurt and as it proved, for
on last Fri morning about 2 he died, without ever regaining consciousness from the time he was hurt.
Attorney Cowan and coroner Hood went up on Fri and the body was moved over from the home of Stokes, in Union Co, into this co, and a coroner's inquest was held.  Attorney Spann went up to appear for Martin.  The verdict of the
coroner's jury was, in effect, that it was unlawful killing.   Martin, who has been rearrested by Constable Jolly, was brought to jail Fri night where he still remains pending legal proceedings, likely the action of the grand jury.  Just what facts
were acertained at the coroner's hearing we have not learned.  It seems that nobody was present or saw the fight except Stokes and Martin.
As mentioned last week, both men live in Union Co, but the fight took place about 180 yards over the line in this county, and the trouble came up- something about the stopping up a road in which they were both interested.  Stokes was
a man some 23 yrs of age with a wife and 2 or 3 children.  He was a relative of Morgan Stokes of Mt. Pleasant, as we understand, and is said to have been a very well ------ citizen.  Martin is also a man of a family and likely not far from
 the age of Stokes.  This is unfortunate, indeed.

contributed by Joyce Escue Culver

Dentist Looking for a Location

Dr. R. A. McCall , a prominent dentist of Vienna , Ill. , was in the city yesterday looking over the situation with a view to locating here . He was most favorably impressed with the outlook and while he made no definite announcement of his intentions it is more than likely he will return to Paragould in the near future and become permanently identified with the city. 

(Paragould [Arkansas] Daily Press, September 20, 1911)

(transcribed and submitted by Tina Easley)

English Out for Governor  

Springfield, Feb. 10 --  In what he declares to be the first authorized interview given since the opening of the primary campaign, Representative George W. English of Vienna, Johnson county, 
last night made formal announcement of his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for governor.
     "I did not make up my mind to run until last Tuesday evening," said Representative English.  "Even then I would not have entered the race had it not been for the fact that others than myself 
were to be considered in the matter."

(The Daily Review, Decatur, Illinois, February 10, 1912)

(transcribed & submitted by Nan Lambert Starjak)

The Terrible Accident on I. C. R’Y at Parker
November 27, 1922

(Articles from Vienna Times)
    The following account give us particulars of the terrible tragedy on the I. C. R’y between Parker and Ozark on the morning of November 27th, when three good citizens were hurled into eternity, and also gives an obituary of each of the men who lost their lives.
    Never was our community more wrought up than when the news spread that Section Foreman E. N. Vaughn and two of his men were killed instantly at the Robinson trestle, the first report saying it was the McCabe or Shadowen 40 foot trestle was an error. On this ill-fated morning, Foreman Vaughn and five of his men left Parker at 7:00 a. m. , going toward Ozark and as they left, before the agent and operator opened up, they had no means of knowing there was an engine on the road.
A few minutes later they were running at a rapid rate, Mr. Vaughn having charge of the speeder, and just as they reached the Robinson trestle, the headlight and smoke of an engine was seen approaching. Three of the men jumped and saved their lives but the other three stuck to the car, and just before they reached the east end of the trestle, an awful impact came. The engineer had reversed the engine and it was almost stopped; but the speeder was still running at a high rate of speed and threw the men several feet in the air. E. N. Vaughn, the foreman, fell to the rocks below, his head striking a stone pillar and was killed instantly. Coleman Deason, it is said, raised to his feet just as the crash came, and he was thrown forward, head first, his head striking the front end of the engine boiler, crushing his skull. The body then fell to the ground below. Daniel Emery, the third man, somehow fell on the rails, and his head and arm were both cut off. The body then fell to the earth,
some 20 or 30 feet below. The speeder was tore up some and was knocked back some distance, but remained on the track.
    The crash was heard quite a distance and soon people came from all points. Many wonder why the foreman did not stop the speeder, but the reason will never be known. Some think they aimed to make the east end of the trestle, others that they lost control of the car, so it is all surmise. The engine came around a sharp curve and there was some fog in the air that was against them. The engine was No. 489, an old work engine, and is said to be the same one that killed Bedford Emery at Parker many years ago, and also Bob Barnwell at Parker some years so it has anything but an enviable record. The engineer on this occasion is named Mitchell; the conductor, Norton, and we failed to get the fireman’s name.
    The three men who saved their lives by jumping were Hosea Emery, Vern Mount and James Newbold. All escaped with a few minor bruises and a good shaking up. Albert Merrow is one of the section men, but had been puny and off a few days. He started to work that morning but his wife suggested that he wait another day and he yielded, thus possibly saving his life.
    The engine then ran down to Parker, attached on to a boxcar, secured three cots and a load of men, ran back and loaded the unfortunate men on the cots and ran back to Parker where the County Coroner Hood, who had been called and had arrived, selected as a jury: W. J. Phillips, George Burton, Harry Caldwell, C. SB. Reed, Charles Hundley and James Hood, who examined a number of witnesses and returned a verdict:
"Came to their death by a collision between engine #489 and a motor speeder driven by E. N. Vaughn."
    The undertaker, H. T. Cocke, of Creal Springs, who had been summoned, had the same engine to take the bodies to his office, where an expert from Marion was called to fix them up so as to look as presentable as possible, then they were taken to their homes, Vaughn and Deason in Parker, and Emery about one mile west on the old Swanner farm. Each of the three left a wife and two children.
    On the 28th the funeral was held at Finley, one mile west of Parker, 800 or 1000 people present. The house would not more than hold the relatives, so the seats were moved outside where all could see and hear. Rev. J. B. Jones of Vienna had charge and preached the sermon. Rev. Wineagar of Creal Springs, read the scripture and Rev. Ramsey of Burnside offered prayer. Rev. Jones preaced a very fine and appropriate sermon.
    The floral offerings were very fine, the Railroad Company furnishing a fine wreath for each man and the Masons and Odd Fellows one for Mr. Vaughn, so the display was profuse. The Railroad Company also furnished the caskets, which were alike and very fine. The bodies of Vaughn and Emery were interred at Salem Cemetery, and that of Deason at Woodside Cemetery. The Masons and Odd Fellows each performed rites at the grave for E. N. Vaughn, a worthy and valued member of both orders. The hearts of all who viewed the gruesome sight of these three good men go out in sympathy for their helpless families. One blessing is that they were all Christian men.

contributed by Faye Bowman

Oldest Farmer in USA

On Saturday, April 5, 1924, Uncle George Elkins, who lives near Buncombe, reached his 99th birthday anniversary and on Sunday, the 6th, his neighbors and friends went in to help him celebrate. There were between 150 and 200 there and to say that this was an enjoyable occasion for all present would be needless to add. There was no one present who enjoyed the day and dinner more than Uncle George himself. He is a very active man for one of his age, raises a crop of corn and garden every year preparing and cultivating a part of it, and is the oldest farmer in the United States. He entered this land from the government and has lived on this farm all his life. There were quite a number of his friends went out from here, and they came from Marion, Anna, Centralia, and several other places. We extend to Uncle George our very best wishes for many happy returns of the day and hope he may reach the century mark.—Vienna Times

(Jonesboro Gazette, Jonesboro, Illinois, Friday, 18 Feb 1924)

(transcribed and submitted by Darrel Dexter)

Oldest Farmer in U.S.

George Elkins who attended the Central State Fair at Aurora, Ill., in August 1922, is the oldest farmer in the U. S. actually engaged in farming, will celebrate his 100th birthday anniversary at the Methodist Episcopal church of Buncombe, Sunday, April 5th of this year.

(Jonesboro Gazette, Jonesboro, Illinois, Friday, 20 Mar 1925)

    (transcribed and submitted by Darrel Dexter)

Johnson County Centenarian

Moses Barnhart, of Cypress, in Johnson County, Ill., passed his one-hundredth milestone on the 21st day of last December. He came to Southern Illinois from North Carolina early enough in the last century to work on the grading of the Illinois Central railroad through this section, being the motive power for a wheel barrow at $1.00 a day. All his life since coming to Illinois has been passed near Vienna in Johnson County. He now makes his home with his granddaughter, Mrs. Robert Martin, at Cypress.
I.O. Karraker of this city visited Mr. Barnhart recently and was surprised to learn that they were distantly related. While Mr. Barnhart was helping build the Illinois Central railroad dump through the present location of Dongola, he spent his Sundays with his uncle, Daniel Karraker, who was the great-grandfather of I. O. Karraker. Mr. Karraker found the old gentleman in excellent health and in full possession of all his faculties except for a slight deafness.

(Jonesboro Gazette, Jonesboro, Illinois, Friday, 24 Aug 1928; transcribed and submitted by Darrel Dexter.)

     A tornado, the worst to strike this county in several years, came about noon Saturday. The twister came from a southwesterly direction. As a result, six people were injured and one killed, four farm homes were completely demolished, about eight damaged and about fifteen barns were either blown completely away or twisted from their foundations. One man, Curtis Abbott, 60, was killed in front of his home near Flatwoods. John Faulkner and Clemon Stapleton were injured. Mrs. M. C. Stapleton was injured when her home near the gristmill at Flatwoods was swept away. Mrs. Lula Castleman was struck on the head by flying debris, while she and her husband were trying to drive out of the storm in their wagon. She suffered a scalp wound. Lindsey Walls was picked up, carried about an eighth of a mile and dropped. He was near the Abbott home. Hobart Trigg, a student in Robbs High School, was also caught on the road near the mill by the storm. He suffered a bruised shoulder and other injuries.
The next property damage was to the barn of Roscoe Castleman. The house was also slightly damaged. Across the field stands the old mill building. Farmers and a crew of WPA workers had gathered around the mill. The mill is operated by M. C. Stapleton and is owned by his father-in-law, Pres Morris. The WPA workers saw the tornado coming and ran down the road and sought shelter behind a bank. Among those seeking protection from the storm behind the bank were John Faulkner, Joe Trigg and Edward Sharp. Pres Morris an aged man was standing in the mill building beside a gasoline engine. He told a Times reporter that he did not sense the danger and said, "First I was down, then I was up and when the storm passed, I found that everything but me and the engine were gone." The wind took the building, flooring, crushing equipment and carried it a considerable distance. The aged man was not injured and was probably standing on the concrete foundation of the engine which kept him from being carried away with the rest of the mill.
Joe Trigg was the first of the six or eight men who sought protection in the road behind the bank to recover from the shock of the storm. He said he saw Faulkner lying with his face in a pool of water. He only had the use of one arm, but dragged him from the water. Others were thrown into the bank and debris struck them. A stump rolled on Edward Sharp but he was not injured. Faulkner was carried to the Pres Morris home. Clemon Stapleton, son of Mr. And Mrs. M. C. Stapleton was also carried to the Morris home, being seriously injured. Mr. Stapleton ran to the house and Mrs. Stapleton was severely injured. Farther to the north and east and in the path of the twister was the house and barn of Mr. And Mrs. Sam Morse. The family saw the storm coming and ran to the Abbott home a short distance away. Mr. Morse was carrying his youngest child and Mrs. Morse had her 8-year-old-son by the hand. Mr. Morse got inside the Abbott house with his child, but Mrs. Morse did not reach the house. She grabbed a cedar post in the front yard. Neither she nor the child were injured.
     The Morse home and barn were leveled to the ground, leaving them with only the clothes they wore. Their car parked in front of their home was picked up and carried about an eighth of a mile and deposited in a field.
     Curtis Abbott and his son were unhitching a team and they too saw the storm approaching. They started for the house but did not get inside. About ten feet from the front porch the elder Mr. Abbott held to a cedar post. His son Dee was near Mrs. Morse and her son. After the storm passed they saw Curtis Abbott lying on the ground. They ran to his side and he only gasped a few times and passed away. A coroner's inquest held Saturday night by Deputy Coroner Loren S. Murrie returned a verdict of death caused by being struck by some flying object or being thrown against a post breaking two ribs, which punctured the heart. The left arm was also broken. There were no other marks on his body.
     Lindsey Walls, who lived about a mile from the Abbott house was enroute to Glendale with neighbors. He attempted to reach the Abbott house. He was caught by the wind which rolled and carried him a considerable distance, threw him up in the air and then dropped him back to the ground. He was carried to the Abbott house after the storm had passed and was later taken out to the gravel road in a wagon and from there by ambulance to a Cairo hospital.
     The path of the storm continued on to the home of Cleo Boaz near Glendale, where four large trees in the front yard were uprooted. A pick-up truck was turned over and the house twisted on its foundation. No one at that farm home was injured.
     Dr. Brown of Pope County was summoned and was soon in the storm area administering to the needs of those injured.
     A representative of the Johnson County Chapter of the American Red Cross was soon on the scene and after making a hurried survey of the situation returned to Vienna. After getting in touch with the National Chapter's Mid-Western branch office at St. Louis, he was authorized to offer emergency help to the injured. I. H. Hook, Edgar Gillespie, Bob Hook and Royce Bridges left immediately for Flatwoods. Dr. W. J. Anderson, Jr., was called by relatives of Faulkner and he accompanied the party. Due to the poor road conditions, it was necessary for the party to walk over a mile to the house where the injured persons had been taken. An ambulance had already been summoned by some of the relatives of those injured and was waiting at the gravel road. After an examination Dr. Anderson advised that John Faulkner, Mrs. M. C. Stapleton and son, Clemon be taken to a hospital.
     Neighbors were at the Morris home to lend a hand and with eight persons to an ambulance cot and four or five to relieve them along the way, they were carried, one at a time, to the ambulance. It was not until 3:30 a.m. Sunday morning that this task was completed.
     A representative from the St. Louis office of the National Chapter of the American Red Cross, Mr. Clinton Denison arrived in Vienna Sunday at noon to take charge of disaster work in Johnson and Pope counties. Mr. Denison made a preliminary survey of the storm area Monday. Immediate relief will be forthcoming for those in the area who are unable to provide for themselves.
     Faulkner was taken to the Fisher hospital by Dr. Anderson. He is suffering from a fractured skull. His condition is considered quite serious. Clemon Stapleton was suffering from concussion and a severe scalp wound. Mrs. Stapleton was suffering from a possible internal injury and bruises. It was feared for a while that she might have a fractured leg, but it was only badly twisted and sprained. Mrs. Stapleton and her son were taken to a Harrisburg hospital.
    Lindsey Walls was taken to a Cairo hospital. One arm was broken in two places. The ball and socket joint of one arm was displaced and a piece of wood was embedded in the hip. It is thought that he will recover.
     A barn on the farm of Mrs. Wandie Bass Morris was blown down and the farm home of Lewis Shelton was destroyed. He too saw the approach of the storm when he was in his home. No other member of the family was at home at the time. He ran to a cellar between his barn and house and probably escaped serious injury or death.
     The farm home of John King, just over the county line in Pope county was lost with his barn. Mr. King saw the storm approaching and called to his wife and two other relatives. They ran from the house just before it was splintered.
     The home of Frank Sullivan was damaged, his barn swept away and the hen house destroyed. The home of Paul Morse in Pope County also was damaged to some extent by the wind.

Exerpts from the Vienna Times, March 7, 1940

contributed by Faye Bowman

Copyright Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor