Illinois Genealogy Trails

1893 Obituaries from the Batavia Herald

Click on a name to scroll down to that obit.

Emil Anderson

Leonard Barker

Michael Connell

Mrs. Jacob Geiss (nee Anna Waldner)

Alfred J. Griffin

John Highland

Margria Vivian Micholson

Capt. D.C. Newton

Rev. Geo. Partridge

Frank Thompson


Death of Mrs. Jacob Geiss, an Old Resident
Mrs. Jacob Geiss, died at her home in this city, Friday p.m. Sept. 8, 1893, after three months illness, with inflammation of the bowles (sic), aged 51 years and 11 months. Anna Waldner was born in Germany Nov. 8, 1941, came to this country when only 5 years of age and settled in Chicago. After her marriage to Jacob Geiss, they came to Geneva, from thence to Aurora, and in 186_ moved to Batavia where the rest of her life has been spent. She leaves besides her husband, three children, John and Mary of this city, and Mrs. Micheal, of Aurora, and many friends to mourn her death. The funeral took place from the Baptist church, Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. Stanger of Aurora officiating. The German choir, also of the Aurora church furnishing appropriate music. The church was crowded with sympathizing friends, many being present from out of town. The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful, the casket being hidden by the handsome flowers and designs. The remains were followed by a long line of carriages to the East Side Cemetery, where they were laid to rest. [The Batavia Herald - Published September 14, 1893]

Death of John Highland, An Old Resident
After much sickness and pain, with a complication of diseases, such as dropsy, rheumatism, and kidney difficulty, John Highland died, at his home in this city, Friday, Sept. 15th, 1893, aged 65 years. Deceased was born in Ireland; had been a resident of Batavia for 24 years, and for a long time he followed ditching. He leaves a wife and four children, two sons and two daughters. The funeral was held, Monday, at the Catholic Church, Rev. Father Spellman officiating and the remains were interred in the Catholic Cemetery, at Aurora. [The Batavia Herald - Published September 21, 1893]

Capt. D.C. Newton - An Old and Highly Esteemed Batavia Citizen Passes Away
After a brief illness of ten days, he Answers the Messenger's call.
Batavia Looses One of Her Able Financiers and Prosperous Business Men

Died, at his home in Batavia, ILL., Sunday morning, Oct. 8th, 1893, Capt. D.C. Newton, of Diabetes, after a brief illness of 10 days, aged 61 years.
It was with a feeling of profound regret and surprise, that the citizens of Batavia learned, Sunday morning, of the sudden death of Capt. D.C. Newton. It was indeed hard to realize that one who had been so active in our business circles, for so many years, had been called from our midst, so soon, to answer the great summons. Only a few days ago, Mr. Newton returned from Chicago, where he had been spending a week at the World's Fair, with his family and eastern friends, and but a short time afterwards was taken to his bed, where he suffered intense pain, for ten day's, but was released by death, Sunday morning.
Capt. D.C. Newton has made his mark in this busy active world, that will remain many years to come. He was a persevering, self-made man.
Deceased was the oldest of the children of Levi and Rachael (Cooley) Newton, born in Alexander, New York, August 26th, 1832. He attended the common schools of that vicinity and was a pupil in the Alexander Academy in his native state, and then became a student in Allegheny College, Meadville, Penn. He had laid the foundations of a ripe scholastic education. In the meantime, in vacations, and when not in school, he was in his father's shops, gaining his first ideas of the business in the factory that was to occupy his entire time and talents in mature life. There were combined in him natural talents for operating machinery and the financial affairs of his father, and make him unite the practical with the theoretical lessons of the school room. Soon after finishing his school work, he was admitted to a partnership with his father, and with him suffered in the loss by fire of their factory and contents, in 1854, the work and savings of years being swept away - a total loss from the fact that the insurance co., never paid a dollar on its policy. At the time of the destruction of their factory, D.C. was not yet 22 years of age. The Newton family then, in 1854, came to Illinois and were attracted to Batavia were attracted to Batavia by the magnificent hard wood timber in the Big Woods that Iay along the East side of Fox River and the splendid water power of that stream, to be used in furnishing power for their factory. Father and son continued their relation of partners, and at once set about retrieving their fortunes, but they had to commence in rather a small way, to carry on the work, their chief capital being their knowledge of working in wood and iron, and their own strong and willing hands to do the work. For some time it was slow progress: they had not only to manufacture their goods, but to make a market and build up a trade that would extend beyond the confines of the small vicinity. Month by month they worked and struggled along, constantly adding every new appliance of machinery that their means would permit of in the development of their factory. And thus the small shop has grown to be the very successful Wagon Factory, now one of the most extensive in the State of Illinois. D.C. Newton was made President of the Newton Wagon Manufacturing Co. on the death of his father, Levi Newton, who had been President since its organization and the eh Capt. held this position up to the time of his death; he was also President of the First National Bank of Batavia.
At the breaking out of the great Rebellion, Capt. Newton laid aside his business affairs, helping  to organize the 52 Regiment, Illinois Infantry and gave unhesitatingly, his best energies to the cause of the Union. He was elected Lieutenant of Company D, 52 Regiment Illinois Infantry. In December of the same year, he was promoted to Captain of his Company. He was actively engaged in the service during his three years term, and was mustered out at Savannah, Ga., in Dec., 1864, having participated in the battles commencing at Fort Donelson, Shiloh, siege and battle of Corinth, Luka, the marches and battles from Chattanooga to Atlanta, and the Grand march with Sherman to the Sea. At the close of the War he returned to Batavia and resumed his business interests, which he has continued up to the time of his death.
October 27, 1853, D.C. Newton and Miss Mary M. Prindle were united in marriage at Bennington, N. Y., of which State she is a native. To this union were born four children, all of whom have died and Mrs. Newton is left to mourn the sad demise of her husband.
Capt. Newton and wife have traveled extensively in Europe. and in the elegant home are evidences of taste and refinement in rare articles, found in the course of their travels, purchased and brought to adorn their pleasant home on Batavia Avenue. While traveling through Southern France, Mr. Newton's attention was drawn to various Churches of rare construction, and very attractively built, the walls being entirely of boulders. The impression lingered in his mind, and after his arrival home, he at times would notice the boulders scattered about the country. The idea eventuated into the magnificent M. E. Church of this city on Batavia Avenue, opposite the residence of the departed. It was built by Capt. Newton and the late
E.H. Gammon and presented to the Society. This church will long remain the most unique and elegant in the Valley, and will endure as a permanent monument to the memory, taste and munificence of its buiIders. Its line of architecture are new and striking, the material, and the solidity and strength of its walls, will keep it in its perfection through the coming centuries.
The funeral took place at the First M.E. church. Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, and was very largely attended. Many being present from Evanston and Chicago. The G.A.R. and employees of the Newton Wagon Works attended in a body. The church was beautifully decorated with cut flowers, tokens of friends, and made a lovely appearance, as the remains were viewed by hundreds, as they lay in state, for one hour before the services began. We noticed among the floral pieces, a large pillow from the Loyal Legion, of Chicago, A Sheave and Sickle, from the office employees of the Newton Wagon Co., a Wreath with the word, "Grandpa," master Carl Moore. Rev. N.O. Freeman, of Ottawa, a former pastor and friend of the departed, conducted the service, assisted by Rev. A.M. White, and paid a fine eulogy to the memory of the deceased. A quartette consisting of W.H. Gregg, H.E. Crankshaw, Mrs. E.W. McCullough and Miss Lina Alexander, furnished appropriate music. The remains were laid to rest in the West Side Cemetery. The sorrow stricken wife and mother have the heart-felt sympathies of the entire community, in this, their hour of bereavement. [The Batavia Herald - Published October 12, 1893]

Alfred J. Griffin Is Called Home After Eight Month's Illness
Released After Long Suffering
God's ways are mysterious, as some are called home without a moments warning, and with no sickness or pain of body; by Al. Griffin, as he was familiarly called, was not one of these, and for nearly eight long months, he has been a great sufferer from consumption of the bowels, and although wasted by disease, he lingered long after his friends had given up all hope, as his constitution, was naturally strong, and clung to life. When a boy of only seven years he had a severe illness of inflammation of the bowels, followed in later years by typhoid, and mountain fever, and through these diseases, had become so weakened that consumption set in, and July 4th 1893, he was taken to his bed for the last time. Although the best of medical skill was obtained, and the constant care of a devoted family given him, it was of no avail. He was released from his suffering by death, Sat., Oct. 7th, 1893, at 12:15 m., aged 36 years.
Alfred James Griffin, son of Alfred and Hannah Griffin, was born in Ontario, Furhas Co., Canada, Nov. 7, 1857; married Miss Adella Trull, in Canada, March 4th 1880. One child has blessed this union, Una May, aged eight years. He came to Ill. and settled in Batavia in March 1888, where the rest of his life has been spent.  Deceased was an honored member of the Masonic Lodge, of Canada, and of the M.W.A. of Batavia, and was a young man of pleasant ways, and genial disposition: and was known for his many deeds of kindness to the poor and unfortunate, and will be greatly missed. During his long and painful illness he was ever patient, and cheerful; never once murmering at his sufferings; was one of a family of eight children, four of whom have crossed the river of death, and four, Mr. I. Griffin, of the firm of Peterson & Griffin of this city, Mrs. Sarah Davison, of Iowa, Mrs. Hattie Gray of Elburn, and Mrs. Jennie Marshall, of Allendale, Canada, who were all present during his sickness and death and helped to tenderly care for him; these with the aged parents, who are in Canada, and on account of poor health were unable to attend the funeral; with the sorrowing wife and daughter, are left to mourn a loving brother, devoted husband and indulgent father.  The family desire to heartily thank the neighbors and friends who so generously assisted and sympathized with them during the sickness and death of their loved one.  The funeral took place from the First M.E. church, Wednesday at 2 p.m. and was in charge of the Masonic order, who with the M.W.A. attended in a body, in honor of their departed brother. Rev. A.M. White conducting the services in a very able manner. Messrs. W. H. Gregg, G.H. Burnett and the Misses Fanny Sterling and Lina Alexander, furnished excellent and appropriate music. The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful, and silently told the love and respect in which the departed was held. The remains were interred in the West Side Cemetery. [The Batavia Herald - Published October 12, 1893]


Sad Demise of Mr. Michael Connell, an East Side Merchant
Michael Connell, one of the prosperous grocerymen of East Batavia, died, at his home on VanBuren St., Friday, October 6th, 1893, at 10 p.m. aged, 41 years, after a brief illness from inflammation of the bowels, aggravated by an injury received in an accident, years ago.  Deceased was born in Susquehanna, Pa., September 27, 1852; came to Ill., with his parents, when quite young, and settled in Warenville, from there he came to Batavia, where for the past five years he has been one of the prosperous business men of our city, conducting a grocery store on VanBuren St. In July 1892, he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Glines, also of Batavia, who is now left alone to battle with the storms of life, after less than two years of happy married life. Mr. Connell was a faithful and honored member of the Dunkard church, of Naperville; a man given to kind deeds and charity; honest and upright in his dealing with men, and loved by all. An aged father and five sisters are left to mourn with the grief stricken wife; the father and one sister living at Warenville, one in Colorado, one in California, who has been spending the summer in Batavia, Mrs. Geo. Watson and Mrs. Samuel Netzley, both of this city.  The funeral was held Sunday at 2 p.m. at the First Baptist church; the services being conducted in a very able manner by the Rev. A. Sollenburger, from Naperville, taking as his text "What Shall the Harvest Be?". Rev. J. S. Forward assisting. The Baptist choir furnished appropriate music. The church was filled with sympathizing friends, many being present from Warenville and Naperville. The remains were laid to rest in the East Side Cemetery. [The Batavia Herald - Published October 12, 1893]

Frank Thompson is Struck By an Engine, Near Geneva
He Meets Death on the Rail
Received Serious Skull Wounds Which Resulted in Death Two Days Afterwards
Fatalities seem to follow thick and fast in Batavia, and again, this week, a number of our citizens have been afflicted.
Monday afternoon, Frank Thompson was struck by a passenger engine, on the North Western, a short distance east of Geneva, and received serious and fatal skull wounds. He was soon removed to his home in this city, where he died, Tuesday, at midnight, from the effects of his injuries. An inquest was held, Thursday forenoon, and a verdict rendered according to the above facts. Funeral was held Thursday afternoon, at the house, conducted by Rev. R.E. Thomas. Remains were interred in the East Side Cemetery. Deceased was 33 years of age, and has spent most of his life in this city; was a painter by trade, and leaves a wife and two children, also brothers and sisters. [The Batavia Herald - Published November 16, 1893]

A Veteran Minister At Rest
Rev. Geo. Partridge Passes Away, at the Advanced Age of 80 Years
Rev. George Partridge, died at his home, in this city, Wednesday, Nov. 8, 1893, at midnight, aged 80 years and three months. Deceased was born in Mass. in Aug. 1813; grew to manhood and was educated there; was also a graduate of the Amherst college; and a very polished, genial and companionable gentleman. He was married to Miss Sophia Johns, in Cannadagua, N.Y. in 1840, and after having held the pastorate of the Congregational church in Greenfield, Nantucket and other charges in the East, and being in poor health, he came west, and settled in Rockford, ILL., where he kept a nursery for several years, and frequently holding services at different charges to accommodate his brother pastors. His health having improved, he accepted a call from the Batavia Congregational church, in the fall of 1860, his family moving here the following spring. He very ably preached the Gospel, and tenderly cared for the flock given to his keeping for six long years, when on account of failing health, he retired form the ministery, and the rest of his days have been spent in peace and quiet, at his home in this city. deceased had been a resident of Batavia for 33 years, and during that time had by his kind, honorable and Christian ways, won many followers to the Faith, and although, not actively preaching the Word, he was practically wining souls, and doing great good in his quiet everyday life.  He was the father of three children, George of San Francisco, Cala. Mrs. Chittenden, of Mass., and Miss Fannie of this city, who has tenderly cared for him since the death of his wife, which occurred in 1874. For the past five years, he has been a great care, although being able to be around most of the time, and was only confined to his bed on week, before he was called home. The funeral was held from the house Friday afternoon at 2:30, and was conducted by Rev. J.W. Bradshaw, of Ann Arbor, Mich., who was for many years a member of the Partridge household, and had been requested by the deceased to fill this last office at his demise; Rev. J.E. Bissell assisting in the service. The remains were laid beside those of his wife in the West Side cemetery. [The Batavia Herald - Published November 16, 1893]

George Cotton Partridge
- (Non-graduate.)
Son of Dea. Cotton Partridge and Hannah Huntington Lyman, daughter of Rev. Dr. Joseph Lyman, for fifty-four years pastor in Hatfield; born in Hatfield, Mass., August 27, 1813; fitted for college at Hopkins Academy, Hadley; graduated at Amherst College, 1833; taught in Princeton (N.J.) Latin School, 1833-34; in this Seminary, 1835-36; tutor at Amherst College, 1836-38; continuing his theological study under President Humphrey. In 1838-39 he preached for a few months in Rochester, N.Y., and at the Seamen's Bethel, Portland, Me. He was ordained at Nantucket, Mass., November 21, 1839, and remained there two years; was pastor at Brimfield, Mass., 1842-47; and of the Second Congregational Church, Greenfield, Mass., 1848-54. From 1854-60 he resided in Rockford, Ill., without charge, but often preaching without compensation in villages and hamlets for miles around. He was acting pastor at Batavia, Ill., 1860-66, and afterward resided there until his death. He was collector of internal revenue, 1866-67, and afterwards for many years a general insurance agent. He was for thirty years treasurer of the school funds for the township.
Prof. William S. Tyler, D.D., of Amherst (Class of 1836), says of him: "George Partridge was to me a friend indeed, true and near and dear. Those were sunny days when he and Bullard and I boarded together at Professor Snell's, and sung together half an hour after dinner or supper almost every day, and then went singing in our hearts to college work. Shall no 'we three meet again' with songs of everlasting joy upon our heads? … Mr. Partridge loved to preach the gospel, and intermitted preaching and finally relinquished it only when his voice became too weak or his general health failed. He preached the great central truths of Christianity as they were held by his grandfather, Dr. Lyman, and his theological teacher, Dr. Humphrey, in their simplicity and purity, with great earnestness and often with much pungency and power. Tall, erect, of commanding form and attractive features, with a heart as large as his body and as warm as it was large, courteous in his manners, fastidious in his tastes, a Christian gentleman of the old school, he made friends, select, perhaps, rather than numerous, of the best men and women, and bound them to himself with hooks of steel. We give him joy of his long life of fourscore years, of his good work, and when, by reason of bodily infirmities, life has become a weariness, we give him joy of his peaceful and happy entrance into rest."
He was married June 9, 1840, to Sophia Harmer Johns, of Canandaigua, N.Y., daughter of Rev. Evan Johns and Frances Lyman. She died January 31, 1874. He had one son and two daughters, one of whom is the wife of Rev. A.J. Chittenden, of the Class of 1874. He died of bronchial pneumonia, in Batavia, Ill., November 8, 1893, aged eighty years.
[Source: Necrology … Andover Theological

Margria Vivian Micholson
Died: Margria Vivian, infant daughter, of Mr. and Mrs. John Micholson, Tuesday morning, at 1 o'clock, aged nearly 10 months. The funeral took place Wednesday from the home and the remains were laid to rest in the West Side Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Micholson have the sympathy of their friends in their bereavement, as the blow comes doubly hard to them for this is the fourth time in a few years that they have been called upon to lay away one of their little ones. A large number of costly and beautiful floral offerings were sent to the bereaved parents by their many friends. [The Batavia Herald - Published October 12, 1893]


Leonard Barker
Died: On Thursday, June 15, 1893, at 3:40 p.m. at the home of his son-in-law, C.A. Lewis, Leonard Barker, aged 81 years. Deceased was born in Wilton, N.H.,m April 22, 1812 and died June 15, 1893, in Batavia, ILL., where he had resided for 16 years. [The Batavia Herald - Published June 22, 1893]

Emil Anderson
The City of Batavia was shocked and saddened last Friday June 23 at the announcement that Emil Anderson had gone down to a watery grave, and that his body could not be found. After careful investigation, the following facts were gained:
Emil Anderson, a lad of 13 years, in company with Victor Peterson and several other small boys, went in bathing, Friday afternoon at 2:30 in Fox River, near Batavia dam, a favorite resort for the boys. Young Emil could swim but very little and was trying to master the art, when he got into water over his head, and began to sink. He was observed by his companion, Victor Peterson, who immediately, started to rescue the drowning boy, but he was pulled down by the struggling lad, who proved too heavy for his rescuer, and is was with difficulty that he save himself from going to an early grave. As soon as young Peterson was out of the water he gave the alarm, but alas, too late, as poor Emil had sank for the third and last time. Soon the river banks were lined with eager and anxious people and a number of men were diligently searching the deep waters with grappling hooks for the lost body. Not until 5 o'clock did they succeed in their search, when the body was found by Agent Pratt and John Lundberg near the fatal spot where he sank for the last time. The Coroner's inquest was held Saturday at the home of the lad, and a verdict was rendered according to the above facts.  Funeral services were held Sunday at the Swedish Lutheran Church, conducted by Rev. A. Bengtson and were very largely attended, the members of the Sunday School of which the unfortunate boy belonged, showed their respect and esteem by all marching out to the West Side Cemetery, where the remains were interred.
Emil Anderson was born in Batavia, 13 years ago and had always lived in this city, he was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Anderson, the father being employed in the Paper Mill. Emil was a bright and intelligent lad, and we are informed by the teachers of the West Side, that he was especially bright and well advanced in his school work and was a boy of good habits and disposition, and his sudden and tragic death is a sad and trying blow to his sorrow stricken parents, who have the heartfelt sympathies of their neighbors and friends. [The Batavia Herald - Published June 29, 1893]


©Genealogy Trails