BIOGRAPHIES published in
the "Biographical Record of Kane County, Illinois"
Originally printed by the S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1898
All biographies submitted by K. Torp
PHILIP SCHICKLER, the leading tobacconist and cigar manufacturer of Aurora, Illinois, was born in Obendorf, Bavaria, June 5, 1837, and is the son of John and Anna (Bolei) Schickler. The father was a native of the same country, where he lived and died. By occupation he was a farmer. The mother died since Philip came to the United States. They were the parents of five children, as follows: Henry, yet residing in the old country; Christopher, now living in Aurora; John, who died in the old country in 1897; - Philip, our subject; and Peter, who died in Aurora.
Philip Schickler left Bavaria for the United States in the spring of 1851, when but sixteen years of age. Landing in New York City, from there he went to Syracuse, New York, where he remained five years, and was engaged in the tobacco and cigar business. He then came to Aurora, arriving here in the fall of 1856 where his brother, Christopher, had settled. For a time he worked for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company, and in 1864 started up in the tobacco and cigar trade in company with C. Hoffman. This partnership was dissolved in 1877, Mr. Schickler selling out. However, he soon opened up business again, at 89 Fox street, where he has since remained.
Mr. Schickler was married at Aurora to Miss Augusta Eitegeorge, a native of Germany. By this marriage six children were born - Emma, now the wife of Fred Weissenger, living in Aurora; Louise, at home; Phillip, now in the cigar and tobacco business at Elgin, and who married Clara Eichborn, of Aurora, by whom he has one child, Paul; Carl, who married Gertrude Trautan, of Aurora, is now assisting his father; George, who married Maud Moore, of Aurora; and Rosa, a teacher in the public schools, residing at home. Religiously, Mrs. Schickler is a member of the Lutheran church. In politics, Mr. Schickler usually supports the Democratic party, but 1896 supported the Republican ticket.
For his trade, Mr. Schickler carries a full line of tobacco and cigars, manufacturing most of the latter. He employs on an average about nine men, and has built up a prosperous business. His brand of cigars are widely known and much sought after by those who want a choice and reliable article. Mr. Schickler has also a house in Elgin, which is managed by his son who is having a good trade. He has a good farm in Banner county, Nebraska, and some real estate in Aurora. By correct business principles and integrity of purpose he has acquired a competency, and by his pleasant manners and genial disposition, he has made hosts of friends, and is a credit to the country of his adoption.
THOMAS McCORMICK, a representative farmer of Virgil township, Kane county, Illinois, owns and operates a farm of two hundred acres on section 26, where he is engaged in general and dairy farming. He is a native of Du Page county, Illinois, born January 26, 1856, and is the son of Thomas and Ann (Mulvihill) McCormick, both of whom were natives of County Longsford, Ireland. They became the parents of six children-Bridget, Thomas, Katie, Mary A., Maggie and Tressie.
Thomas McCormick, Sr., spent his boyhood and youth in his native country, and, when a young man, came with his parents to America. After looking the country over to some extent, his father finally settled in Du Page county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. Later the father of our subject came to Virgil township, Kane county, where he purchased forty acres of land and commenced its improvement. From time to time he added to his original purchase until he had two hundred acres, all of which he placed under cultivation, and supplied the farm with a good dwelling house and various outbuildings, making it a number one farm. Here he spent the last years of his life, dying December 14, 1893. He was a man well respected in the community where he so long resided. Religiously he was a member of the Catholic church, of which body his wife and family are also members.
The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm, and was early learned the use of farm implements, and was required to do his share of farm work. After attending the public schools he entered the academy at Naperville, Du Page county, Illinois, where he finished his school life. Since the death of his father he has been living with his mother and sisters, Katie and Tressie. The mother is now seventy-six years old. Farming has been his life work, and he has had little desire to make a change. In this work he has been quite successful, and he is a thorough, practical farmer. In politics he has been a life-long supporter of Democratic principles, in all general elections casting his vote for the nominees of that party.
CHARLES H. FISHER, a member of the firm of Fisher & Mann, is one of the ablest lawyers practicing at the Kane county bar, and is also corporation counsel for the city of Elgin. A man of sound judgment, he masters his cases with masterly skill and tact and is regarded as one of the best jury advocates in Elgin. He is a logical reasoner and has a ready command of English.
Mr. Fisher was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, February 22, 1864, and is a son of Herman and Elizabeth (Blair) Fisher, the former born in Baltimore, Maryland, of German parentage, and the latter in Pennsylvania of Scotch ancestry. In their family are four sons-Elmer, a druggist of Port Angeles, Puget Sound, Washington; Charles H., of this sketch; Frank, inspector of the port at Port Townsend, Puget Sound; and Morris, an attorney of Port Angeles. From the age of twelve the father was employed as a canal boatman for many years, and then conducted a boat supply grocery in Newcastle, Pennsylvania, for some time. In 1887 he removed to Port Angeles, Washington, where he is now living retired, enjoying a well-earned rest, free from the cares and responsibilities of business life. He has filled various local offices of honor and trust and is now serving as county trustee. The mother is a consistent member of the Baptist church.
George Fisher, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Saxe Coburg, Germany, where he learned the shoemaker's trade. On coming to America in 1838, he first located in Baltimore, Maryland, where he spent some years, then removed to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and later to Rochester, Pennsylvania, engaging in the boot and shoe business at these places. He died at Wampum, Pennsylvania, at the age of seventy-four years. In his family were three sons and three daughters. The maternal grandfather of our subject, Robert Blair, was born near Pittsburg, was a farmer by occupation, and served as a soldier in the war of 1812. During early manhood he was killed by a horse. He had received a farm on Chartier's creek in compensation for his services during the war. His wife, who was born near Pittsburg in 1800, died at Puget Sound in 1891.
Charles H. Fisher was about four years old at the time of the removal of his parents to Newcastle, Pennsylvania, where he later acquired a good common-school education. After working in the machine shops at Titusville, Pennsylvania, for a time, he came to Elgin in the spring of 1883, and for eighteen months was in the mail service, running between Chicago and Minneapolis. He then studied law in the office of the late Robert M. Ireland and was admitted to the bar in 1886. He has won an enviable reputation as a successful lawyer, and most creditably served as city attorney for two terms, and is the present corporation counsel.
On the 15th of August, 1889, Mr. Fisher was united in marriage to Miss Mary, daughter of George and Mary (French) Bayliss, and to them have been born three children- Elizabeth, Marian and Stella. They have a pleasant residence at No. 338 St. Charles street. Mr. Fisher belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America, and his wife holds membership in the Congregational Church. Politically he is independent. The firm of Fisher & Mann owns considerable real estate in Elgin and vicinity, and, as attorneys, they are doing a large and profitable business. Upright, reliable and honorable, their strict adherence to principle commands the respect of all.
ROBERT CHILVERS, a popular conductor on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad, residing in Aurora, has been in the employ of that company for twenty-seven years. He dates his residence in Illinois since 1852. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, April 27, 1850, and is the son of John T. and Alice (Garrod) Chilvers, both of whom were also natives of England. In 1852 the family came to America, and made their home in Downer's Grove township, Du Page county, Illinois, where the father bought a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, which he at once commenced to improve and which in due time became one of the most valuable farms in that locality. He continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until his death, August 29, 1882. His wife survives him, and yet resides on the old homestead with her youngest son. John T. Chilvers came to this country a poor man, but he was enterprising and industrious, and honest, and his death was a loss to the community.
Robert Chilvers is the oldest of the family of seven sons and one daughter who grew to mature years. He was but two years of age when the family came to Du Page county, and on the old farm he grew to manhood, assisting his father when old enough to hold the plow, working in the summer months, and attending the district school during the winter months. He remained with his father until he attained his majority, and coming to Aurora, engaged with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, railroad, first as brakeman on a freight train, at which he worked for about three years, and was then promoted conductor on a freight train, and held that position some twelve or thirteen years. In 1887 he was given charge of a passenger train, on which he has been conductor until the present time. In all the time passed he has never had a bad wreck, and no accident worth mentioning since placed in charge of a passenger train. His first run was from Aurora to Streator, and he continued on that run until 1889.
Mr. Chilvers was married at Naperville, Illinois, in December, 1874, to Miss Susan Ann Mackinder, a native of Illinois, born in Fullersburg, and the youngest of a family of five living children born to John and Lydia Mackinder, both natives of England, and who were among the early settlers of Du Page county, Illinois. By this union are four children - Alice Lydia, now the wife of George Davey, of Du Page county, Illinois; Cyrus M., now in the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company; Charles Robert and Mabel S. V., at home.
Politically, Mr. Chilvers was formerly a Democrat, casting his first presidential vote for Grover Cleveland, but of late years has supported the men and measures of the Republican party. Fraternally he is a Mason, a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and also a member of the Order of Railway Conductors. In her religious belief, Mrs. Chilvers is a Christian Scientist. Both are held in the highest esteem.
VIGO VALDEMAR CHRISTIANSEN, who has for many years been connected with the Elgin Watch Factory, was born at Ribe, Jutland, Denmark, February 4, 1853, and is a representative of a prominent and honored family of that country, his parents being Christian and Josephine (Veis) Christiansen. The father was a native of Schleswig-Holstein, but removed to Jutland after the war of 1848. His grandfather, Christian Christiansen, took part in the Napoleonic wars, being a member of the Danish army under Napoleon. The father of our subject was also an officer in the Danish army, enlisting as drummer boy and rising to the rank of captain by personal merit. He took part in the war of 1848 against Schleswig-Holstein, and also in the war of 1864. He was a man of medium height, well built, of mild temperament, good humored and of a gentle disposition. In 1892 he died in Ribe, Denmark, but his widow is still living, residing on the old homestead there, the house being one of historical interest. It once belonged to Anders Sorgensen Wedel, who was the first to establish a printing press in Denmark. This building is quite noted and is often visited by tourists. Ribe was formerly the capital and is a historical town of much interest. The maternal grandparents of our subject were Andreas and Jenssine Veis, extensive farming people.
The children born to Christian and Josephine (Veis) Christiansen were as follows: Peter, now a resident of Toledo, Ohio; Maria Christina, wife of a Mr. Sverdrup, a civil engineer in the employ of the British government at Cape Town, Africa; Andreas, a dealer in books and stationery at Copenhagen, Denmark; Vigo V., of this review, and Ida Wilhelmina, wife of Carl Hoffman, a native of Holland, who was a trader, sailing his own vessel, and is now a farmer in Cape Town.
Mr. Christiansen, of this sketch, attended the public schools of Ribe until his graduation at the age of fourteen years, and then served a five and a half years' apprenticeship to the watch-maker's trade. He then went to Hadersleben, Schleswig, where he worked for three years, and from that place went to Copenhagen, where he was in the employ of the successors of Urban, Jorgensen, celebrated watch makers, remaining with them until he came to the United States. He was drafted for service in the Danish army, but avoided the enrollment, and succeeded in leaving the country before the officers could muster him, sailing in November, 1873, and making the voyage in three weeks on the Gellert-Inman line.
On reaching the shores of the New World, Mr. Christiansen proceeded to Toledo, Ohio, where his brother was living, and there worked at his trade for about six months. Coming to Chicago, he was in the employ of Hamilton & Rowe for one year, and then went to Galesburg, Illinois, to take charge of the watch department of Trask & Gentry, Mr. Trask being a silent partner of the firm of Hamilton & Rowe. After three years spent in Galesburg he came to Elgin, and has since been employed in the finishing department "A "of the Elgin Watch Factory. He also conducts a private school at his home, instructing his pupils in horology. He is an expert watch maker, being thoroughly fitted for his work by long experience with the most skilled workmen in that line in his native land.
In Chicago, Mr. Christiansen was married May 25, 1880, to Miss Helen McCuthen, who was born in Galesburg, January 12, 1857, her parents, John P. and Caroline (Miller) McCuthen, being early settlers of Knox county, Illinois. They are now living in Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Christiansen have two very bright and pretty daughters - Carrie Jane and Helen Marian. The parents hold membership in the Universalist church.
In political sentiment Mr. Christian is a stalwart Republican. Possessing a splendid tenor voice, he has become a very popular singer in Elgin, and is much sought after in musical circles. He has ever taken a great interest in musical affairs, has been leader of the Universalist and Congregational church choirs, and is now the leading tenor in the Baptist church. He is also a prominent member of the Philharmonic Society of Elgin, and in social as well as musical circles has gained a host of warm friends.
JOHN A. HASLER, engineer and electrician of the village of Hampshire, occupied a position, the responsibility of which is recognized by few people. The safety and comfort of dwellers in cities, and the occupants of skyscraping office and apartment buildings, depends on the engineer. Lives of these millions, who are each year safely carried on railroads and steamships, is due to the watchful care of the engineer. Too little thought and credit is given to this vocation; upon which so much depends.
John A. Hasler was born in Brookfield township, Waukesha county, Wisconsin, May 1,1857, and is the son of John Hasler, who was born at Ulm, Wurtemberg, Germany, who married Lucy Kreider, also a native of Ulm. They were married in Waukesha county, Wisconsin, and to them were born three children - John A., our subject; Lucy, wife of Charles Huber, a farmer of Cortland township, De Kalb county; and George, who is engaged in farming, lives in Genoa, De Kalb county. In 1862, the family moved to Elgin, and four years later to Sycamore, Illinois. His education, began in the public schools of Elgin, was completed in the schools of Sycamore, when sixteen years of age. At the age of seventeen he began to learn the trade of an engineer, under the instruction of an uncle in Sycamore. For three years he was fireman for his uncle, during which time he studied the theory and practice of steam engines, in books on the subject, to fit himself for passing examination.
In 1883, Mr. Hasler came to Hampshire, and took full charge of the engines of the brick and tile works, and for seven years and seven months filled the position to the satisfaction of employers. Desiring a more active outdoor occupation, he resigned his position with the tile company, and went into the well and windmill business, sinking wells and erecting windmills, over portions of the four counties, commencing near Hampshire. He was in this business from 1890 to 1897. On June 8, 1897, he again accepted a position as engineer for the tile works, and electric plant, which they had added to their business.
Mr. Hasler was married in Genoa, Illinois, November 28, 1878, to Eliza Heath, born in Genoa township, a daughter of John Heath, a native of Argyle, Washington county, New York, born February 16, 1817, and who died in September, 1893, at the age of seventy-six years. He was the son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Alger) Heath, natives of New York. John Heath was fifth in their family of nine children. At the age of twenty, he became a deck hand on a sloop on the Hudson river, in which occupation he was engaged for two years. He then went to New Orleans and there worked for a time, then came to Genoa township, De Kalb county, Illinois, in the fall of 1846, where he bought eighty acres on section 34. He was first married May 24, 1846, to Elizabeth McQuarie, in Chatham, Ontario, who was a native of the state of New York. By that marriage three children were born, Webster, who married Maggie Dano, and lives in Sac county, Iowa; Eliza, wife of our subject; and Diana, deceased. Mrs. Elizabeth Heath died July 24, 1859. Mr. Heath again married, January 24, 1860, in Genoa, De Kalb, Miss Hannah Shurtliff, born in Canada. By the second union were five children, as follows: Libbie, who married Oscar Davis, and resides on the home farm on section 34; Mabel married M. LeFevre, and lives in Iowa; Lillian married D. H. Moore, and lives in Hampshire; Emily married Alfred Moore, and lives in Genoa, and John, who died at the age of sixteen.
In 1893, our subject built an unusually neat cottage, in the village of Hampshire, which is nicely furnished, and is comfortable and homelike. Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen of America, and Royal Neighbors. Mrs. Hasler is also a member of the latter order. In politics he is a Republican.
M.O. SOUTHWORTH, judge of the county court of Kane county, and a practicing attorney of Aurora since 1870, was born in La Salle county, Illinois, April 1, 1841, and is the son of George A. and Cornelia B. (Bowen) Southworth, both New England Pilgrim families. They came to Illinois in 1835, residing first at Aurora, then Chicago, and in 1837 removed to La Salle county, where the family resided until 1870, when they returned to Aurora, where George A. Southworth died in 1871. His widow is still living and in excellent health, spending her time alternately with her son, and a daughter, Mary, wife of A. D. Southworth, of Northfield, Minnesota, the oldest of their two children.
M. O. Southworth obtained his education in the public schools of La Salle county, at Batavia Institute, and then entered Beloit College, where, after pursuing the regular classical course, he graduated in
1863. Afterwards he took up the study of law and graduated from the law department of Michigan University. He came to Aurora in 1870 and has been in active practice since that time. Was city attorney for three terms, and in 1894 was elected judge of the county court, which position he still fills, and has recently been renominated by the Republican party for a second term.
Mr. Southworth was married in 1866 to Miss Gabrielle Mills, daughter of Joel Mills, an old settler of Will county, Illinois, and they reside on Fox street, Aurora. The family has been Congregational in religious sentiment from Puritan times, and M. O. Southworth, though not a member, is a trustee of the First Congregational church of Aurora. It is fair to say that he has been a careful and successful attorney, and is respected by his neighbors.
WALTER S. FRAZIER is one of the men who have given name and fame to the city of Aurora. He was born in the village of Tully, Onondaga county, New York, August 31, 1835. His father was William J. Frazier, a native of Saratoga county, New York, who moved at an early day to Tully, then to Fabius, conducting a profitable business in the clothing trade. William J. Frazier was one of the original old time abolitionists, way back in 1840-44, and was active in the organization of the party and in the support of its candidates when there were but little signs of success. He was a strong temperance man, and for a long time was a member of the Baptist church of Fabius, but withdrew from it because the deacon who passed the communion cup was a liquor dealer. The Frazier family dates back to 912, when a Bourbon
nobleman, Julian de Berry by name, having presented some fine strawberries to King Charles of France, the latter knighted him and substituted the name Fraize, meaning strawberry, for that of de Berry. As the family spread to other countries the name was written in other forms. In Scotland, from which the branch to which the subject of this sketch belongs, the members were known as Fraser, Frasier, Frasare, Frazer, Frisel, Fresel and Frezel, which were used interchangeably according to the fancy of the writers. These varied spellings, some of them very old, are preserved in the public documents of those times, and there are instances where the same individual, a lord, appears as Simon Fraser and again as Simon Frizel. The French dictionaries give "Fraisier" for a strawberry plant. The Frazier family was planted in Scotland about the time of the invasion by William the Conqueror, and became a numerous and powerful clan in Invernessshire. At this day, it is said, fully one-eighth of the total population of the town of Inverness, a city seventeen thousand, bear the name of Fraser. There is an authentic record of the family dating from 1165. The clan Fraser took part in many of the bloody wars waged on Scottish soil, and were especially active under the banner of King Charles when he led his army into England against Cromwell. At the battle of Worcester, September 3, 1651, the Scottish army was routed, and the following year nearly five hundred of the prisoners taken by Cromwell's troops, doubtless including Frasers, were transported to Boston. At about this time, and perhaps from this event, dates the founding of the family in America. The direct ancestor in this country of our subject was James Fraser, who, it is thought, eluded capture at the time of the defeat of King Charles and escaped to America, arriving in Boston in 1652, when he was about twenty-six years old, living at what is now called Jamaica Plain until his death. The land he acquired was in the possession of the family for one hundred years. In order to avoid arrest and perhaps execution by the emissaries of Cromwell, he changed his name to Frissell, by which some of the clan had previously been known. He died February 6, 1716, aged ninety years, leaving five sons and three daughters. It is from his second son, Samuel Frissell, that the Fraziers descend. The genealogy is as follows: James Frissell settled in Boston in 1652 and died in 1716. Samuel Frissell, his second son, born in 1663, died in 1718. Samuel Frissell, the second, born in 1700, of whom there is no record of death. Reuben Frizel, born in 1742, died in Leyden, Massachusetts, October 31, 1822. Michael Frazier (who was the first to return to the former name), born in 1770, died in 1848. William J. Frazier, born in 1809, now in his eighty-ninth year, is living in Aurora, Illinois. Walter S. Frazier, born in 1835, now living in Aurora. The family name was restored to its original form of Frazier in 1806 by Michael, who had moved from Leyden, Massachusetts, to Fulton county, New York, with his father-in-law, David, Page, Sr., of Bernardston, Massachusetts, whose wife was Sally Cunnabell. The mother of Walter S. Frazier was Matilda (Winegar) Frazier, daughter of Stephen and Sally (Tuttle) Winegar, among the early residents of Fabius. Stephen Winegar was a son of John Winegar, a mill owner of Lee, Massachusetts, a noted soldier of the Revolutionary war.
The boyhood of Walter S. Frazier was passed at Fabius, where he attended the district schools, afterward receiving an academical education at the Homer and Pompey Hill Academies. When he was eighteen years old, he took a position as clerk in a dry-goods store at Syracuse, New York, and served five years, being then promoted to a bookkeeper's place. In 1857 he came to Chicago, light in purse, and secured a clerkship in the office of the city comptroller. He was soon made the chief clerk, and retained the position about five years, when he resigned to accept the office of clerk of special assessments, to which he had been appointed by the board of public-works. He was the Republican nominee in 1863 for clerk of the recorder's court of that city, but was defeated, all the candidates on the Democratic city ticket being elected by small majorities. In 1865 he was elected clerk of the house of representatives of the state of Illinois, and was given the credit by members, state officers and the press of being the most efficient clerk that branch of the legislature had ever had. On his retirement he was presented with a handsome gold watch and chain by the members of the house. See House Journal, 1865, page 1202.
In 1866, being apprehensive as to his health, Mr. Frazier bought a fine farm on the river road between Batavia and Geneva, in Kane county, Illinois, and, after making extensive improvements in the way of new buildings, etc., moved his family there. His brother, William Page Frazier, had moved to Chicago in 1862, and, in 1869, he also settled near Batavia, where his father had gone in 1864, with the main object of being near his sons.
Walter S. Frazier sold his farm in 1870 and located in Aurora, where he soon attained deserved prominence as a man of integrity, ability and great executive force. He had no active business, but bred and developed trotting horses, as an aid to health and a means of recreation. In this he was very successful, and one of the horses of his training, called "Brother Jonathan", was given a fast record and sold for twelve thousand dollars. It was while thus engaged with horses, in 1878, that Mr. Frazier invented the road-cart, which has since given him wide-spread reputation as a manufacturer. He made the first one for his own use, but its merit was so quickly appreciated by the public, that in 1880 he secured letters patent and began to manufacture them for the market. In connection with his sons, he now has a large manufacturing establishment in which two hundred hands are employed in the manufacture of all kinds of road vehicles, and which has become one of the most prominent industries in Aurora. In 1855 Mr. Frazier was married at Syracuse, New York, to Miss Mary Stevens, daughter of Jacob Vanderbilt Stevens and Hannah (Tallman) Stevens. Mrs. Frazier died in 1880, leaving a family of four sons - Walter S. and Edward S., twin brothers, born in 1863; Lincoln B., born in 1870; and Floyd, born in 1873 - and two daughters, Anna and Hattie. Of the sons, Edward S. married Mary Dunbar Holbrook, daughter of Rev. Doctor Holbrook, of Aurora, by whom he has two children: Walter S., Jr., married Clara Pfrangle, daughter of C. A. Pfrangle, of Aurora, and a son has been born of this union Walter S. Floyd married Maud Harris, daughter of Hon. A. B. Harris, of Aurora. Lincoln B. married Bertha Plum, daughter of the late Samuel Plumb, of Streator.
Mr. Frazier has done a great deal to beautify and improve Aurora, and his efforts in this line are recognized and appreciated by his fellow townsmen. He has erected some fine business buildings in the city, and has been active in securing many public improvements. In political matters he is prominent and influential, and has to a large degree directed the shaping of political events, not only in the city of Aurora, but in Kane county and the congressional district as well. For several years he was chairman of the congressional district Republican committee, the district being composed of the counties of Kane, De Kalb, Lake, McHenry and Boone. He was chosen a member of the state central committee by the state Republican convention of 1888, being one of the executive board of that body during the presidential campaign of that, year, giving to the work the full benefit of his ripe experience, pre-eminent sagacity and managerial ability. He was reelected in 1890 and in 1892, serving three terms, six years in all. In the spring of 1891 he was asked to become a candidate for mayor of Aurora on the citizens ticket, and was elected by a large majority, serving a two-years' term. His prominence in political affairs has given him a large and pleasant acquaintance with public men throughout the state. On the 16th of March, 1897, his excellency, Governor Tanner, appointed him one of a board of three trustees of the Northern Illinois Hospital for the Insane, at Elgin, containing some twelve hundred patients, and at the Governor's request he was chosen president of the board. The term expires in 1903. On August 21, 1891, Mr. Frazier became the owner of the "Aurora Daily News," the oldest established daily newspaper in Aurora, now an influential paper of large circulation, a property which he still owns. Soon after he purchased the paper he erected the Daily News block, in which it is domiciled. He is also a director in the Merchants' National Bank, of Aurora, and has been since its organization in 1888.
JONATHAN S. DAUBERMAN, an enterprising and successful farmer, owning and operating a farm of three hundred acres, south of the village of Kaneville, has been a resident of Kane county since 1856. He was born in Center county, Pennsylvania, June 16, 1850. He traces his ancestry back to Phillip Dauberman, a native of Germany, who emigrated to the United States on the ship Edinburgh, commanded by Captain Russell, and landing in Philadelphia, September 30, 1754. From Philadelphia he went to Centre county, Pennsylvania, and was numbered among the pioneers of that county. His son John Dauberman was born in Center county, and George Dauberman, the father of our subject and the son of John Dauberman, was also born in that county. George Dauberman there married Matilda Spangler, also a native of Centre county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Jonathan Spangler. In 1856, they came west, and located in Kaneville township, Kane county, Illinois, where he purchased a partially improved farm of two hundred and forty acres, and to the further development of which he bent his energies, in due time erecting a fine dwelling, barns and other outbuildings, and there his death occurred in March, 1873.
His good wife passed away in 1857, leaving three children: Jonathan S., our subject; Ellen, who makes her home with her brother and sister; and Ira Sterling, who is the present county clerk of Marion county, Kansas, which has been his home for some years. After the death of his first wife, George Dauberman later married Anna Harter, a native of Pennsylvania, who is now deceased. She was the mother of three children-John W., a merchant of Kaneville; McCIellan, who grew to manhood, but is now deceased; and Mary, who died in young womanhood. McCIellan Dauberman started a store in Kaneville, which he continued to run until his death, when he was succeeded by his brother, John.
The subject of this sketch grew to manhood on the farm, and was educated in the schools of Kaneville. He remained with his father and assisted in carrying on the farm until the latter's death, when he took full charge of the place, and later purchased the interest of the other heirs, since which time he has materially improved the place, remodeled the house, and built three good barns, erected a windmill pump, with feed-mill attachment, on which he is now placing an engine for more power, and has made the farm one of the best in the township. His success as a farmer has been good, and he has not only engaged in general farming, but in dairying and stock raising as well.
In March, 1873, Mr. Dauberman was united in marriage with Miss Mary Merrill, a native of New Hampshire, who came to Illinois when a child, with her father, Thomas Merrill, who was one of the settlers of 1855. By this union there are three children - George, Bertha and Clarence. The first named is assisting his father in management of the home farm. Bertha is a well-educated young lady, who received her education in the Kaneville public school and graduated in the class of 1896, reviewing her studies in the Normal School of Valparaiso, Indiana.
Mr. Dauberman is a lifelong Democrat, and supports the men and measures of that party in all general elections, but on local issues gives his support to men rather than party. His business interests have always been such as to demand his time and attention, and he has therefore never held office, save that of being a member of the school board. In her religious faith, Mrs. Dauberman is a Baptist, holding membership in the church of that denomination at Kaneville.
Coming to Kane county when but six years of age, Mr. Dauberman has here spent almost his entire life, and in the development of his township has done as much as almost any other man. He is industrious and energetic, and no man stands higher in the estimation of his fellow men.
JOHN W. GOODALE, who is engaged in farming on section 30, Aurora township, came to Kane county, Illinois, in 1844. He was born in Washington county, New York, June 28, 1822. The family are of English descent and were among the early settlers of Massachusetts, of which state Josiah Goodale, the grandfather of our subject was born. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and fought for the American independence. From Massachusetts he moved to Vermont, and subsequently to Washington county, New York, where he remained some years engaged in farming and later returned to Vermont, where his death occurred. His son, David Goodale, was born in Vermont, and from there went to Washington county, New York, where he married Betsy Welsh, a native of Washington county, New York, and a daughter of John Welsh, who was born in Ireland, and came to the new world when a child and here married a German lady. David Goodale was by trade a mason, which occupation he followed in New York. After his family were grown, and some of them had come west, he also followed them and located on the farm of his son Josiah, in Sugar Grove township, where his last days were spent. Of his family of five sons and two daughters, all grew to mature years. Maria married Luke Nichols, one of the first settlers of Aurora, and both are now deceased. Josiah came to Kane county in 1844, and located a tract of one hundred and sixty acres in Sugar Grove township, where he engaged in farming for some years, then returned to New York, and there died. John W. is the subject of this sketch. Lockwood resides at Bristol Station, where he was engaged in the hotel business. Elizabeth, the widow of William Yeldham, resides in Aurora. George is a farmer residing in Oklahoma.
John W. Goodale was reared upon the farm in Washington county, New York, and received a limited education in its public schools. He came to Kane county in 1844, and here joined Mr. Nichols, his brother-in-law. He soon purchased a small tract of land in Sugar Grove township, which he sold at an advance, and then entered eighty acres in Big Rock township. On that tract he located and began its improvement-. From time to time he bought and sold other tracts in Big Rock township and there resided a number of years. Selling his original farm, he bought one hundred and sixty acres in De Kalb county, and there spent the winter; selling the same at one thousand dollars advance, he returned to Big Rock township and purchased the old Gardner Mill property, which included seventy acres of land, and engaged in milling, continuing in that business for eight or ten years. During that time he bought the place where he now resides, comprising one hundred acres, on which some improvements had been made. He has since built a good residence, large barn, and made other valuable improvements. Mr. Goodale was united in marriage in Big Rock township, March 1, 1849, with Miss Elizabeth Brackett, a native of Vermont, and a daughter of Cyrus Brackett, who located in Big Rock township about 1847. By this union there are ten children, six sons and four daughters, as follows: Frank, married and engaged in business in Aurora; Fred, deceased; Don, married and engaged in farming in Sugar Grove township; Ella, wife of Orin Robbins, a livery man of Piano, Illinois; Lizzie, wife of George F. Hadden, of Aurora; Cyrus, married and residing near Fort Scott, Kansas; Webb, who is assisting in carrying on the home farm; Emma, at home; Katie, residing in Aurora, and Bert, at home.
Mr. Goodale relates some hard experiences of pioneer life. During the first years in Kane county, he suffered very much with the ague, which was very prevalent at that time. He has seen many large herds of deer, and flocks of wild pigeon, and other game. Politically Mr. Goodale is a lifelong Republican, and his sons follow in his footsteps. He is well known and respected, having many friends throughout Kane and adjoining counties. Coming to this county a poor man, by his industry and thrifty habits he has acquired a valuable property, and has contributed his full share toward the development of Kane county.
GAIL BORDEN, whose fame is worldwide, stands pre-eminent as one of the benefactors of mankind. While naturally of a modest and retiring disposition, his inventions have been such as to bring him prominently before the people, and those who knew him best in this life hold him in the highest honor and esteem. A native of New York, he was born in Norwich November 6, 1801, and was descended from New England ancestry. Being the eldest of seven children, he was at an early age made to realize the nature and necessity of hard work, and assisted his father in the cultivation of the home. farm. His educational advantages were limited, but he profited by those within his reach, and by self-study and the reading of the better class of literature became a well-informed man.
In December, 1814, the father emigrated with his family from New York to Covington, Kentucky, and upon the site of the present city hall in that place our subject cultivated a field of corn. In the spring of 1816 they removed to the territory of Indiana, locating on the banks of the Ohio river, ten miles below Madison, where Mr. Borden resided until 1822. On account of impaired health, he then went to Mississippi-, where he engaged in teaching school, and also filled the position of county surveyor and United States deputy surveyor. In 1829 he went to Texas, where he engaged in farming and stock raising. His ability was soon recognized by the citizens of that country, and in 1833 he was elected a delegate from the Lavaca district to the convention in San Felipe to define the position of the colonies and to petition the Mexican government for separation from the state of Coahuila. He was also in charge of the official survey of the colony, compiling the topographical map of Texas, and had charge of the land office at San Felipe up to the time of the Mexican intervention.
In 1835, with his brother, Thomas H. Borden, he established a newspaper called the "Telegraph and Texas Land Register," at San Felipe, which was later transferred to Houston, and was the first and only newspaper issued in Texas during the war for the independence of that colony. He had its chief management and directed his efforts toward resisting the establishment of the central government by Santa Anna. From this time on Mr. Borden was prominently identified with the history of the Lone Star state, and was an important factor in its development and progress. Upon the establishment of the republic of Texas he was appointed by President Houston as the first collector of the port of Galveston. This was in 1837 and the city had not been laid out, and the first surveys were made by Mr. Borden. His first dwelling there was a rough board structure located on the bay shore and erected by two carpenters in half a day, and his office was in a room in what was known as the Mexican custom house.
During the exciting events attending the establishment of the republic of Texas and its subsequent annexation as one of the states of the American Union, Mr. Borden was quietly making investigations which led to one of the most important and beneficial discoveries of the present century of great discoveries. In 1849 his attention was drawn to the need of a more suitable supply of nourishment for emigrants crossing the plains, which then required several months, and after some experiments produced the pemmican, which Dr. Kane carried with him on his Arctic expedition. The meat biscuit, an efficient form of portable concentrated food, was also invented by him. This article gained for him the great council medal at the London fair in 1851, and he was elected an honorary member of the London Society of Arts.
In the manufacture of this food he was unsuccessful, in consequence of the opposition of army contractors, and therefore discontinued its production in 1853, having sacrificed in it his entire fortune. He then removed to the north and turned his attention to the study of a method for preserving milk. The result of his investigation and labors is known in the condensed milk so widely used to-day. He applied for a patent for "producing concentrated sweet milk by evaporation of same, but it was three years after his application was first made before it was granted him. His first patent bears date of August 18, 1856, while other patents were granted him May 13, 1862; February 10, 1863; November 14, 1865, and April 17, 1866.
While Mr. Borden was aware of the fact that numerous attempts had been made to preserve and solidify, milk as well as to find , acceptable substitutes for it, he believed that all had proven failures more or less, and he certainly found no products which made a near approach to such excellence as he believed to be attainable. He gave the question much study and at length took out seventy-five per cent, of the water, and with the milk added a sufficient quantity of pure granulated sugar to preserve it.
The first works for the condensing of milk were established at Wolcottville, Connecticut, in 1856, and the following year a factory was put in operation at Burrville. The business grew rapidly during the Civil war, when large quantities of the condensed milk, preserved with refined sugar, were required by the Union armies. So quickly did it develop that it necessitated the establishment of two other factories, one at Livermore Falls, Maine, and the other at Winsted, Connecticut. The Gail Borden Eagle brand of condensed milk soon became widely known, and has continued to grow in public favor with every nation. In 1861 the most important plant of the New York Condensed Milk Company was located at Wassaic, Dutchess county, New York, while another factory was established at Brewster, New York, in 1863; one at Walkill in 1881; one at Millerton in 1892; one at Deposit in 1894; and one at New Berlin in 1895.
In 1860, in Connecticut, Mr. Borden was united in marriage with Mrs. Emeline Eunice Church, nee Eno, and widow of Hiram Church, one of the early settlers of Kane county. On the death of her first husband, she returned to her old home in Connecticut, where she formed the acquaintance of Mr. Borden, which resulted in their marriage. From his wife he learned of the famous Fox river valley, and was not long in perceiving that this region offered exceptional facilities for the extension of his wonderful discovery. After making one or two trips of investigation, in 1865, he had erected at Elgin a modest factory, which from time to time has been rebuilt and extensive additions constructed, until it is now one of the largest and most complete plants owned by the New York Condensed Milk Company, known as the Illinois branch of that company. Here is prepared on a most extensive scale the Gale Borden Eagle brand of condensed milk, of which millions of cans are distributed throughout the western and southern sections of the country.
The growth of the western business of the company was quite rapid, and it was soon demonstrated that the Elgin factory would not be able to supply the demand for the company's product in the west, and a plant was, therefore, established at Carpentersville, one of the most complete factories operated by the company. Another was later established at Algonquin and one at Belvidere. The offices which control this immense business are located at New York City, Jersey City, Newark and Chicago, and each place has one or more branch offices. The extent of his business can scarcely be realized. From a small business in 1856 it has grown to be one of the most important branches of the dairy industry. Nearly five hundred million pounds of milk are annually used by this one company in its various factories, and thousands of persons are interested directly and indirectly in the feeding of cattle, care of milk the process of manufacture and the distribution of the product. That factories at Elgin and Carpentersville, in the Kane county, have contributed largely to the growth and prosperity of the county is unquestionable. The stimulus given the milk industry by the establishment of the condensed milk factory at Elgin has been the chief instrument in the development of the butter trade, and to-day Elgin butter is the standard throughout the entire country. The Gail Borden Eagle brand of condensed milk is known in all countries and is the leading brand used in the majority of them, having stood the test of all climates.
Mr. Borden also experimented with condensed meat juices, and produced an extract of beef of superior quality, which was first manufactured in Elgin, but later an establishment was erected especially for the purpose in Borden, Texas, where the industry was continued after his death. Subsequently he produced an excellent preparation of condensed tea, coffee and cocoa. In 1862 he patented the process by means of which the juice of fruits, such as apples, currants and grapes, could be reduced to one-seventh of its original bulk. His labors were conducted with the utmost care and perseverance, and his success was obtained only through long, tedious and expensive experiments, but his intense energy, un-yielding tenacity and great ingenuity enabled him to perfect his inventions, which have so largely contributed to the good of humanity. While Justus Von Liebig, surrounded with the elaborate apparatus of his well-appointed laboratory at Giessen, was experimenting and prosecuting those researches into the nature of flesh and animal juices, which culminated many years later in the production of "Extractum Camis," Gail Borden, in the wilds of Texas, was independently investigating the same problem without scientific apparatus, and his labors resulted in bringing him the great council medal at the London fair in 1851.
Up to the time of his death Mr. Borden gave personal supervision to his business, and he is entitled to the entire credit of establishing the great industry of condensed milk, prepared milk and pure fluid milk, so invaluable to mankind. In the fall of 1873 he came Elgin and purchased an elegant home on Division street, with the intention of here passing the remainder of his life. His health being somewhat impaired, he went south to spend the winter, and, at Colorado, Texas, January 11, 1874, was called to the upper and better world. In a brief period he succeeded in amassing an immense fortune, but it was ever used for the good of humanity, and his charity and liberality were among his most marked traits. He possessed an earnest Christian character and a noble generosity and devotion to the welfare of others, which has made his memory cherished and revered by friends and acquaintances. A companionable gentleman, broad-minded and sincere, his life abounded in kindness and courtesy to all, and in active philanthropy and hearty co-operation in every good work.
GEORGE A. BEITH is a prominent farmer residing on section 28, Campton township. He was born in the town of St. Charles, Kane county, Illinois, January 7, 1848. His parents, William and Mary (Allen) Beith, were natives of Scotland, the former born February 13, 1818, in the town of Large, Ayrshire, Scotland, a few miles from Greenock, and in young manhood learned the trade and business of contracting and building, with his father, Robert Beith, who all his life carried on that line of business in Scotland and in Kane county, Illinois. Robert Beith and his wife, Margaret (Patton) Beith, with their family of ten children, left their native land in 1844, settling in St. Charles, Illinois, where they passed the remainder of their lives as highly respected and honored citizens. She died in 1871, while he survived her three years, dying in 1874. Both were buried in the St. Charles cemetery.
William Beith came to the United States one year previous to the arrival of his father's family, and his first contract in America was for the erection of the Congregational church at St. Charles, Illinois, in 1843. He subsequently erected many of the prominent structures at that place and in other parts of the county. His operations also extended to Chicago, and at that time and for many years after, he was the most prominent contractor and builder in Kane county. About 1863, he partially retired and has since resided on section 28, Campton township, and occupied his time in farming. With his life companion he is now enjoying the rest and quietude so well earned by a long and active business life, he at the age of eighty-one years and she aged seventy-seven years. He was largely interested in introducing and starting the manufacture of tile in Aurora, and has been active in all enterprises of a public nature calculated to benefit his vicinity or the county of his adoption. In early life he was a stanch Abolitionist and has always been a firm believer in Christianity. His marriage with Mary Allen was celebrated at Glasgow in 1841. She was born at Dilry, near his native place.
Our subject received his education in the public schools of St. Charles, Illinois, which was supplemented by a term in Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College, Chicago. He assisted his father on the home farm from the age of fourteen until reaching maturity, when he took full charge and worked it on shares until 1884, at which time he purchased the entire place, consisting of four hundred acres of arable and pasture land, and has since added an acreage of seventy-two acres. He almost exclusively confines his attention to dairy farming, growing only a sufficiency of oats and corn for the consumption of his cows, which number about one hundred and which he replenishes annually with a car of new stock. The milk he ships direct from Elburn to Chicago. He secures bran from the Minneapolis mills, which mixed with the home products, corn and oats, forms the staple food of his cattle during the year. The barns, sheds and facilities for grinding the food for the cattle are all one might expect to find on one of the finest improved and best managed farms of Kane county.
Mr. Beith was married September 28, 1878, to Miss Lucinda Richmond, daughter of Almond and Hannah (Smith) Richmond, natives of Vermont, who came to Kane county at an early day and settled in Campton township, where they resided until their deaths, the mother dying in March, 1895, the father in November, 1895. Both are buried in the Garfield cemetery, of Campton township. To Mr. and Mrs. Beith have been born a family of six children-Robert, Elizabeth, Mary, William A., Rachel and Lucinda, twins. The last named died when an infant, while the others are living and all receiving good educations.
Our subject has two sisters. Mrs. Rachel Day is the wife of Rev. W. F. Day, a minister of the First Congregational church of Los Angeles, California. She has one son, a minister of the same denomination, located at Aurora, Illinois. He is a graduate of Amherst College, Massachusetts, and has traveled extensively in Europe. The other sister, Priscilla, married Daniel Wheaton, by whom she has two children-Mary, wife of Adolphus Moody, of Judsonia, Arkansas, and William, who lives with his mother. Daniel Wheaton died in 1896, and Priscilla is now the wife of David Anderson, of St. Charles, where she now resides.
Since the age of twenty-one years Mr. Beith has held the office of school director. In politics he is a Republican. With his wife and three eldest children, he is a member of the Congregational church of Elburn, in which he has been treasurer and trustee since 1891. As a citizen he has ever shown a willingness to do his part in advancing the material interest of township and county.
WARREN S. LEE, justice of the peace, Kaneville township, is one of the best known men in the township, which has been his home during his entire life. He was born in the town of Kaneville, March 24, 1860, and traces his ancestry back to Elijah Lee, of Connecticut, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, serving under General Israel Putnam. His son, Asahel Lee, was also a native of Connecticut, as was his grandson, Russell W. Lee, who was born in Middletown, that state, June 20, 1822. The last named grew to manhood in Middletown, and there married Sophronia Spencer, also a native of Connecticut. They were the parents of two sons and three daughters, as follows: Isadora, who died a young lady of eighteen; Mary A., who died when about twenty years old; Grace R., now the wife of T. P. Flanders, of Kaneville township; Warren S., of this review; and Brainard, who is married, and owns and operates a farm in Kaneville township.
About the time he attained his majority,' Russell W. Lee came to Kane county, Illinois, and located in Kaneville township, where he entered a tract of land, which he fenced and at once began its cultivation. After remaining here for about four years, he returned to his old home in Connecticut, where his marriage was solemnized. Coming back with his bride, he here made his home until his death in April, 1896. His wife survives him, and makes her home with her son, Brainard. Russell W. Lee was a man of good education and was one of the pioneer teachers of Kane county.
By teaching in winters, and working on farms by the month the remainder of each year, he secured the means to make his first purchase of land. He was a very active and enterprising farmer, and at the time of his death owned two farms, one of which he himself improved. He was elected and served in various positions of trust and honor, serving as supervisor, assessor and commissioner of highways. His death was mourned by a large circle of friends throughout the county.
Warren S. Lee grew to manhood on the old home farm in Kaneville township, and was educated in the common-schools. He remained with his father, assisting in farm work, until after he had attained his majority. After the death of his father, he succeeded to a part of the estate. For some years he was actively engaged in farming, and later rented the place, since which time he has engaged in various occupations. While operating the farm he was also engaged in buying and selling stock and dealing in farm lands, his operations extending over Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. In these operations he was fairly successful, confining himself principally to unimproved lands, which he held for an advance. He has always been a very busy man, and was one of the original stockholders in the County Line Creamery Company.
Politically, Mr. Lee has been a lifelong Democrat, the principles of which party was instilled in his youth. He has been quite active in local politics, was elected and served two years as assessor, and in 1897, was elected justice of the peace, which office he is now filling in a satisfactory manner. In the conventions of his party, he usually serves as a delegate, exerting a good influence in its councils. Fraternally, he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America of Kaneville, and is the present consul. Religiously he is a Baptist, a member of that church in Kaneville, where he has served in the choir for a number of years. A lifelong resident of the county, he has for years been identified with various enterprises, calculated to advance its material interest, and is widely and favorably known throughout Kane and adjoining counties.
DAVID ANDERSON, who is now living a retired life on his farm adjoining the corporate limits of St. Charles, Illinois, was for years one of its most enterprising and successful farmers. He dates his residence in Illinois since 1849, and in Kane county since 1860. A native of Scotland, he was born at Bell's Hill, near Glasgow, May 6, 1823. His father, John Anderson, was also a native of Scotland, and could trace his ancestry back through a long line of men and women prominent in the history of Scotland. John Anderson married Isabella Bissett, also a native of Scotland. By occupation he was a farmer, in which line he continued during his entire life. He never left his native country, but there reared his family and passed to his reward.
David Anderson grew to manhood in his native land, and there married Elizabeth Ray, also a native of Scotland. In 1849, with his family, he emigrated to the United States, first locating in Chicago, where he found employment as a stationary engineer, running an engine for a planing mill, and later for two years was with a publishing company. He made that city his home until 1860. However, in 1854, he came to Kane county and bought a tract of land, which place comprises a part of his present homestead. Locating on the place in 1860, he at once began its further improvement, making it a pleasant and attractive home. While yet residing in Chicago he purchased a number of city lots, on which he later built several residences, and which he owned for a number of years, finally disposing of the same at a handsome profit.
After locating in Kane county, Mr. Anderson purchased more land from time to time until he now owns three hundred acres, lying in St. Charles and Geneva townships, but all adjacent to the city of St. Charles. This property is finely improved, having on it a substantial stone residence, fronting the river, together with large barns and other outbuildings. In this residence he makes his home, but has another fine house on the west part of the farm, which has also good barns and other outbuildings. A part of the place he some years ago sold, and the same was platted as an addition to St. Charles. It is now covered with good residences and comfortable homes. In the improvement of his adopted city he has done very much, at one time deeding to it eleven acres of land, a strip one hundred feet wide, which has been converted into a boulevard from Geneva to St. Charles. He also gave the Electric Light Company one acre of land, on which to erect its power house and other necessary buildings. He has been connected with various enterprises which were supposed to be of benefit to St. Charles. In the old condensing factory he took shares to the amount of ten thousand dollars, which later he lost, as the factory was burned and never rebuilt. He was also connected with the West side Creamery. During all the years in which he has resided in Kane county, he has been engaged in the dairy business in connection with general farming. He began the dairy business while yet residing in his native country, for two years engaging in it at Glasgow. Mr. Anderson lost his first wife in Chicago, where she died in 1858. She was the mother of two children, that are yet living - David R., of the firm of Hack & Anderson, publishers of Chicago; and Jennie S., wife of William Hack, senior member of the firm just mentioned.
In 1861 Mr. Anderson was united in marriage in St. Charles with Miss Mary Beith, a native of Scotland, born at Larges, and a daughter of Robert and Margaret Beith, both natives of Scotland. Robert Beith and his son, William; were pioneers of Kane county, Illinois, locating in St. Charles. They were stone masons by trade, and many of the stone buildings in and near St. Charles, were constructed by them. Mrs. Mary Anderson died April 13, 1896. She was the mother of five children, four of whom are yet living. Margaret is the wife of Frank Hitchcock, who is engaged in the livery business at Dundee, Illinois. John J. died in infancy. Robert is unmarried, and is carrying on the home farm, together with the dairy business. William M. and George N. are business men residing in Chicago.
In October, 1897, in Elburn, Kane county, Illinois, Mr. Anderson was united in marriage with Mrs. Priscilla Wheaton, widow of Daniel Wheaton, and a daughter of William Beith, of Kane county. She was reared and educated in St. Charles, and in Blackberry gave her hand in marriage to Daniel Wheaton, January 5, 1869. They settled in White county, Arkansas, where Mr. Wheaton bought several large tracts of land, and where he was successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits and business until his death. He left a large estate to his family. Mr. and Mrs. Wheaton were the parents of five children, two of whom are now living. The eldest, Mary, is now the .wife of Alpheus P. Moody, of Judsonia, Arkansas, whose father, Rev. Moody, was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church at Judsonia for some years, the family being among the most prominent people of White county. They have two sons, Julius Clark and Powell Clayton. William Wheaton, who makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, is a student in the schools of St. Charles.
Politically Mr. Anderson is a stanch Republican, a firm believer in the principles of that party. He has never desired, nor would he ever hold office, giving his time and attention to his extensive business interests. He has been connected with the Congregational church at St. Charles for many years, being one of its most active official members. He has ever contributed liberally for the support of the church and has given much to other benevolent purposes. His wife is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church. For forty-nine years Mr. Anderson has been a resident of Illinois, thirty-eight years of which time he has resided in Kane county. On locating in Chicago he found a small city, and in the years that have passed has witnessed its growth, until it is to-day the second city of importance on this continent. The changes in Kane county have been no less marvelous. Few men are better known in northern Illinois than the subject of this sketch. He is a man of unblemished character, and he and his estimable wife are held in the highest esteem wherever known.
JOHN HENRY RICHARDSON, who resides on section 26, Dundee township, is recognized as one of the best farmers in the township. His father, James Richardson, was born at Springtown, County Donegal, Ireland, in 1828, and died in Dundee in 1873. He was reared in his native country, but lived for a time in Scotland. About 1849 he sailed for America, and settled in Pennsylvania, first living for a time in Philadelphia. He lived in Pennsylvania until 1857, when he came to Dundee, where the remainder of his life was spent. An honest, industrious laboring man, he secured a little home and a six-acre tract near the village of Dundee, where he reared his family. He married Katherine Raser, a native of Pennsylvania, born May 6, r 831, by whom he had nine children-Mary Ann, wife of John Rose, of Dundee; Robert W.; John Henry, our subject; William James, partner of our subject, residing in Chicago; Isabella, living with her mother in Dundee; Henrietta, wife of Charles Swyner, an employee of the watch factory in Elgin; Ann, wife of Fred Wolaver, of Chicago; Anthony, a milk dealer of Chicago; and Kittie May, with her mother in Dundee.
James Richardson was a son of Anthony Richardson, who married Isabella Hilliard, and who owned a farm in Ireland, which is still occupied by William Richardson, a half brother of James. The mother of James died when he was three years old, and he was reared by an uncle until fourteen years of age. He then worked at what he could find to do, and for two years prior to coming to America worked in the mines near Glasgow, Scotland.
The subject of this sketch was born in Manayunk, Chester county, Pennsylvania, July 5, 1855, and was two years old when his parents moved to Dundee. Since that time he has moved but once, when he came to his present farm. He attended school in Dundee until fourteen years of age, and was then engaged in farm work for others until 1875, when he rented for three years a farm on shares. He next rented for five years for cash rent. During this time the farm was sold and at the expiration of his lease in December, 1882, in partnership with his brother, he purchased his present farm of one hundred and seventy-eight acres, lying just south of Dundee, and later began the milk business in Chicago, his brother, William J., taking charge of the delivery there while he manages the farm. They retail from six to seven hundred gallons of milk in the city each day.
Mr. Richardson was married in Dundee, August 21, 1882, to Miss Ann Maria Richardson, a native of Oniagh, County Tyrone, Ireland, and who came to America in 1880, followed by her parents two years later. She is a daughter of Johnson Richardson, a contractor and builder, who was born in Springtown, County Donegal, Ireland, in 1832. He there married Ann Jane Robinson, daughter of John Alexander Muldoon Robinson, whose wife was Miss Maria Beatty, her mother's maiden name being Earl. John James Robinson, brother of Ann Jane Robinson, served through the Civil war and was for a time in Libby Prison, from which he made his escape. Johnson Richardson and wife were the parents of four children-Isabel H., who married William A. Bingham, a shipping clerk for the Iron and Bolt Works at Carpentersville; Annie M., wife of our subject; John James, deceased; and Jane E., who married Charles Murray, a painter of Chicago.
To our subject and wife six children have been born: Ethel Josephine, William James, Florence Luella, Stella May, Lillian Mildred, and John Alexander. The first named died at the age of two months. Mr. and Mrs. Richardson are members of the Episcopal church, and fraternally, he is a member of the Dundee tent, No. 17, K. O. T. M. Politically he is a Democrat and has served as highway commissioner and road supervisor. He is an excellent farmer, thrifty and energetic, and keeps his place under a high state of cultivation. Part of his land lies in the river bottoms while the remainder is on high ground, well watered and well drained.
DORR BROTHERS, who are well-known citizens of Sugar Grove township; reside on a fine farm comprising about three hundred acres on section 8, which has been in the family for nearly sixty years. Marshall Dorr was born June 10, 1839, and his brother, Haskell Dorr, was born March 22, 1844. Sullivan Dorr, the father of Marshall and Haskell Dorr, was a native of West Moreland, New Hampshire, born in 1809. His father, Asel Dorr, was a native, of New England and died when Sullivan was a child. The latter grew to manhood in his native town and state, and there married Elmira Gurler, who was born in Keene, New Hampshire. In 1837, with his family he came to Illinois by the way of the Erie canal and the Great Lakes to Chicago, which was then but a small village, giving little idea of the prominence which it has attained in the years that have passed. He located near Ottawa, in La Salle county, where he remained a short time and then came to Kane county, where he purchased the place in Sugar Grove township, on which his sons and one daughter yet reside. He first entered a tract of one hundred and sixty acres, to which he subsequently added other land. Building a log house in which the family could live, he then went to work and fenced the claim and commenced the development of the farm. For many years he hauled all his produce to Chicago, where he obtained the most of supplies for family use and also purchased lumber for building which in due time were erected. The trip, which was with ox teams, required two or three days going and coming. On this farm Sullivan Dorr passed the remainder of his life, dying May 22, 1888, at the age of seventy-nine years. His wife passed away in January, 1887. They were both highly respected people and he was regarded as one of the most progressive farmers in the township, and few men had more friends in Kane county.
Marshall Dorr grew to manhood on the farm and was educated in the common schools of the neighborhood, supplemented by one term in the seminary at Aurora. When the war for the Union commenced he had just attained his majority, and one year later, on August 12, 1862, he enlisted as a member of Company E., One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which he went south into Kentucky and Tennessee. During his term of enlistment he participated in a number of prominent engagements, among which were Raymond, Mississippi, Jackson, Tennessee, Baker's Creek and the siege and surrender of Vicksburg. In the vicinity of the latter city the regiment remained about one year and then went to New Orleans and Mobile Bay, at which place it participated in the engagement. From Mobile the regiment was sent to Montgomery, Alabama, where it remained until the close of the war, being mustered out at Vicksburg, August 16, 1865. From Vicksburg he went to Chicago, was there paid off and received his final discharge.
After receiving his discharge, Mr. Dorr returned to his home in Sugar Grove township, since which time he and his brother have been engaged in the cultivation of the home farm. They are considered good practical farmers and have been fairly successful in life. The brothers are stanch Republicans and each have supported the men and measures of that party since attaining their majority. They have never sought office of any kind and care nothing for official honors. Marshall, however, was elected and served one term as township collector. They are well known in Aurora and other parts of the county, and are men of exemplary habits and upright character. Their home is presided over by their sister, Filissa. Another sister, Imogine, is now the wife of William Baker, a farmer of Sugar Grove township. One sister, Ellen, grew to mature years, and died November 1, 1877, at the age of twenty-six years.
REV. GEORGE H. WELLS, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Hampshire, Illinois, was born at Fulton, Missouri, May 18, 1839. His father, Aaron Wells, was born in Nicholas county, Kentucky, at Lower Blue Licks, in 1805, and died in 1871, at the age of sixty-six years. Like most Kentuckians, he was tall and muscular. The old farm at Lower Blue Licks comprises eight hundred acres, and is now owned by a cousin of our subject who is six feet, six inches in heighth. The family are long lived, the mother of Aaron Wells living to be one hundred and four years old. By trade Aaron Wells was a blacksmith in early life and for some years was a commission merchant at Mexico, Missouri, and Sterling, Illinois. He married Elizabeth Young, a daughter of Jacob Young. She was born in Kentucky in 1799, and died at the age of seventy-one years. They were the parents of six children, three of whom are now living. Three of their sons' served in the Civil war; one was killed by Quantrell's men.
The subject of this sketch attended school at Fulton, Missouri, and colleges at Fulton, St. Charles and Fayette, all in Missouri. Later he attended the university at Evanston, Illinois. He began teaching in Missouri and spent some years in the schoolroom as a teacher. He taught in Missouri country schools during the war. For one year he was principal of the school at Praneville, Illinois, at Augusta, two years, El Paso, one year, and one year at Plymouth, and two years at Dixon seminary. He began theological studies when he began teaching, and pursued a four-years' course after he entered Rock River conference. He was licensed as a local preacher in 1861, and in the fall of 1873 united with the Rock River conference. His first charge was at La Salle, followed by Savanna, Council Hill, Dakota, Scales Mound, New Milford, Richmond, Nunda, Marengo, Rock Falls, Malta, and Hampshire, being appointed to the latter place in October, 1895.
Mr. Wells was married at Morrison, Illinois, March 30, 1868, to Miss Lou Seamon, who was born in River Phillips, Nova Scotia, and was a daughter of James S. and Cynthia O. (Johnson) Seamon, the former a native of Kings county, Nova Scotia, and the latter of Cumberland county, Nova Scotia. Mr. and Mrs. Wells have two sons Rev. George A., a Methodist Episcopal minister, at Stewart, Illinois, who married Maude Adell Smith, by whom he has one child, Verna Madge; and Harry S., who is now attending the Northwestern University at Evanston, Illinois.
In politics Mr. Wells is a Prohibitionist, but was formerly a Republican, but voted for William McKinley and Hopkins. It is as a minister of the Gospel that he takes delight. His heart is in the work and his desire in life is to do good to his fellow men.
JOEL WAGNER is the owner of two valuable and well-improved farms in Big Rock township, but is now living a retired life in the village of Big Rock. He dates his residence in Kane county since 1851. A native of New York, he was born in Fort Plains, Montgomery county, November II, 1834, and is the son of Truman Wagner, also a native of the same county and state. The Wagner family are of German ancestry, and trace their origin to Joseph Wagner, who came with his parents to the new world when a lad of four years. Charles Wagner, the grandfather of our subject, was likewise born in Montgomery county, and served his country in the second war with Great Britain, in which he held a commission. Some of the members of the family served in the Revolutionary war.
Truman Wagner was reared in Montgomery county, New York, and there married Katy Snyder, a native of the same county and a daughter of Lodowic Snyder, of German extraction. In 1837 Captain Charles Wagner came with his family to Kane county, Illinois, and located on a portion of the present site of Aurora, and took up a claim and later entered the land. He was one of the first settlers of the village, where he died at the age of eighty years. Truman Wagner engaged in farming in St. Lawrence county, New York, and also in the manufacture of lumber. In 1851 he came to Kane county, Illinois, and bought land in Big Rock township, his first purchase being two hundred and forty acres, which was fairly well improved with a log house, a log stable and an orchard of bearing trees. He at once commenced the further improvement of the place, erecting a substantial brick house, with good barns and other outbuildings. He was a successful farmer, and here spent his last years, dying in 1871. His wife survived him a number of years.
Joel Wagner is the oldest of a family of three sons and three daughters born to Truman and Katy Wagner. All grew to mature years. The second in order of birth was Hiram D., who now resides in the village of Hinckley, De Kalb county, where he is engaged in banking, and also in the grain and lumber trade, being recognized as one of the most prominent men of the township. Kate M. is now the wife of W. H. Hall, a business man of Springfield, Illinois. Laura is the wife of Archie Miller, now living a retired life in the village of Hinckley. Lydia is the wife of J. F. Jackson, a farmer residing near Hinckley. Charles, who was a soldier in the war for the Union, a member of the Fifty-second Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was taken sick and removed to the St. Louis hospital, and there died.
Joel Wagner came to Kane county, Illinois, when sixteen years of age. In his native state he had good educational advantages, and on his arrival in Kane county, he attended school at Aurora, and also at the Batavia Institute. He helped his father open up and develop the farm and remained with him until after he attained his majority. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Thirty-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which he went to Rollo, Missouri, and was with General Seigel and Curtis through Missouri. The first battle in which he participated was at Pea Ridge; leaving Missouri, the regiment was sent into .Kentucky, and was there in the engagement at Perryville. In the battle of Stony River, he was wounded, being shot through the face. The scar yet remains with him, a reminder of the time in which he went out in defense of the old flag. He was wounded December 31, 1862, and was taken to the hospital at Nashville, and was discharged from the service in March, 1863. Returning home, he suffered from the wound for nearly a year, and after his recovery he resumed farming. He was married in April, 1865, to Miss Anna Leyson, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1841, and a daughter of Reese Leyson, who came to Kane county in 1852. By this union there were two sons, Willard S., married and carrying on the old farm, and Arthur Herbert, who married and died at the age of twenty-six years, leaving a wife and one son, Ira Glenn. He lost one daughter, Anna, who died at the age of seven months.
Soon after marriage, Mr. Wagner settled on a farm in Big Rock township, where he remained four years, and then removed to Kaneville township, where he purchased a farm of one hundred and seventy acres, on which he resided four years. About two years after the death of his father, he purchased the interests of the other heirs to the homestead, which comprised three hundred and sixty-two acres, and on that farm he continued for twenty years. While residing there he purchased another farm of two hundred and forty acres, which is one of the finest farms in Kane county.
While residing on the old homestead, Mrs. Anna Wagner departed this life, June 7, 1879, and Mr. Wagner married in De Kalb county, Illinois, November 15, 1880, Miss Elizabeth Diedrich, who was born and reared in De Kalb county, and a daughter of Peter Diedrich, a native of Germany, and a pioneer of De Kalb county. By this marriage are two sons, Frank Leslie and Clarence F., both students of the home school.
In 1895 Mr. Wagner built a fine residence in the village of Big Rock, which is one of the neatest and best furnished residences in the place. There the family now reside. Mr. Wagner had ever been a public-spirited man, lending aid to various public enterprises, having a tendency to build up his town and county. He was one of the original stockholders, and assisted in the organization of the Big Rock Creamery, of which he was the first president, and manager for five or six years.
In politics Mr. Wagner is independent, giving his support to the men he considers best qualified for the place. He cast his first presidential ballot for the "little giant," Stephen A. Douglas. He also voted three times for Grover Cleveland. For fifteen years he served as road commissioner, and twelve years as justice of the peace, the latter office he declining to longer fill. He has been assessor of the township, trustee, and treasurer of the school funds. In his religious views Mr. Wagner is liberal, believing in the teaching of the Golden Rule.
He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and for some years was quite active in the lodge at Kaneville. A residence of forty-five years in Kane county has brought him prominently before the people, and he is well and favorably known and universally respected.
CHARLES M. CROUSE, of Big Rock, Kane county, Illinois, is now living a retired life. He was born in Dutchess county, New York, August 26, 1841. His grandfather, George Crouse, was also a native of New York, a well-to-do and respected man, who for many years was engaged in the hotel business in Dutchess county, that state. His son, George Crouse, Jr., was born in Dutchess county, in 1808. He there grew to manhood and married Persis Emeline Amnermon, also a native of Dutchess county, New York. He was by trade a tanner, but for some years was engaged in the butcher business prior to his coming west. In 1843 he came to Kane county, Illinois and after residing here a few months, returned to his native state, driving back with teams. Three times did he make the trip back and forth in that way. After coming to Kane county and remaining a while, he would become homesick, return to New York, and would again come to the Prairie state. He finally made a permanent settlement in Big Rock township, first purchasing eighty acres, which he improved, and to which he later added sixty-seven acres, which he converted into a fine farm. After the death of his wife in 1857, which was caused by being thrown from a wagon, the team running away, he sold the old place and located in the northern part of the township, where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres in one farm and forty acres of timber. On the place was an old log house, which, in due time, he replaced with a better one, and, improving the farm, he there resided until 1885. His family consisted of four sons and two daughters, of whom our subject and one sister, Ellen, now the wife of William Knickerbocker, of Aurora, are the only survivors. One daughter, Julia, married Elias Carpenter, and located in Big Rock, but both are now deceased, leaving nine children and a fine estate. Egbert grew to manhood and married Ellen Seavey, and died in 1887. For some years he lived with our subject, the two being in partnership in their farming operations, but finally dividing the estate, each taking one hundred and twenty acres.
Charles M. Crouse came to Kane county when a child, and here grew to mature years, receiving very limited school privileges. From the time he was old enough to hold the handles of a plow, he engaged in farm work, becoming a practical farmer in every respect. In 1868, he married Miss Anna Seavey, a daughter of Mark Seavey, and a sister of the wife, of his brother Egbert. After living upon the farm until 1892, he rented the place, built a large and substantial residence in the village of Big Rock, to which he removed, and is now living a retired life. Mr. and Mrs. Crouse have no children, their first born, Freddie, dying in 1884, at the age of seven years. They also lost two in infancy.
Politically, Mr. Crouse is a Democrat, with which party he has been identified since attaining his majority. A believer in free silver, he gave his support to William J. Bryan in 1896. For years he served as school director, the only local office that he would ever accept. While not members of any church, Mr. and Mrs. Crouse are believers in Christianity and the golden rule. Both are well known and are highly respected in the community in which they reside, and are hospitable, generous people.
McCLELLAN DAUBERMAN,deceased, was a well-known citizen of Kaneville. The following sketch was prepared by an intimate friend, Mr. F. L. Young, who knew him well, and is a well-deserved tribute to one who was cut off in the prime of life:
"McCIellan Dauberman was born in Kaneville, March 1, 1862, and died at that place, which had always been his home, October 10, 1896, after an illness of less than five days' duration, of acute appendicitis-. He was not married. He leaves three brothers and one sister as his nearest relatives, who deeply mourn his loss. His parents were George and Matilda (Spangler) Dauberman. [See sketch of J. S. Dauberman on another page of this work.]
"His early life was spent on his father's farm, which aided to give him what he possessed in a remarkable degree, a splendid and vigorous physical development, supplemented by fine mental and intellectual qualities. Since the age of twenty-one years he has been engaged in the mercantile business in Kaneville, leaving at the time of his death a comfortable fortune, largely the result of his business sagacity. "He was a man of great business ability, always methodical and accurate, whether doing the same for himself, the public or his neighbors. In his death they all suffer a personal loss, which is widely felt, and not easily replaced. At the time of his decease he was the treasurer of Kaneville township, the duties of which office he always performed with fidelity and accuracy. He was also an honored member of the Waltonian Club, of Elgin, many of whose members attended his funeral at Kaneville.
"In politics he was an ardent Republican, whose influence reached and was felt beyond his own town. He was also one of a trio of natives of Kaneville serving on the Kane County Central Committee in 1896, where his counsels were valued and appreciated in an eminent degree. . Beholding him stricken down as he was in the bright glow of his manhood's prime, the great truth is again brought home to our hearts that we, too, are 'Passing Away.'
"It is written on the rose
In its glory's bright array; Read what those buds disclose- ' Passing away.'
It is written on the brow,
Where the spirit's ardent ray Lives, burns, and triumphs now- ' Passing away.' "
"His fine mental qualities shone strongly forth every day of his life. He was always neat in person and apparel. With him order was heaven's first law. His large store was always kept in perfect order, and the neatness of his private bachelor apartments were always the subject of approving comment by his many visiting friends. His funeral was one of the largest ever held in Kaneville. Nearly every town in the county was represented, showing the high esteem in which he was held outside his own town."
CHAMBERS D. CALHOUN, M. D., of Elburn, Illinois, is a physician and surgeon of acknowledged ability. He was born in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, August 17, 1858, and is the son of Samuel S. and Hannah (Sheridan) Calhoun, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Ohio. By occupation Samuel S. Calhoun was a farmer. His father, John Calhoun, took up several sections of land in Armstrong county, coming in possession of it at an early day. He lived to be ninety-one years of age. The family descended from one of two brothers who came from Scotland, but who were really North of Ireland people.
Samuel S. Calhoun was a very prominent Democrat in his native state and was very active in political affairs, taking the stump during each campaign and delivering many speeches. He occupied many official positions in his town and county, and in his capacities of business man, citizen and public official, his actions were characterized by uprightness and sincere devotion to the best interests of his community, and he enjoyed the universal esteem of his fellow men.
During the dark days of the Civil war, Samuel S. Calhoun espoused the side of the Union, and organized a company at the beginning of the war, but on account of the illness of his wife could not leave home. About the close of the war another company was raised of which he was elected captain, and with which he started for the front, but only got as far as Pittsburg, when he was notified that the services of the company were not needed. The company was fully uniformed and ready for the fray. Later he organized two companies of militia. Few men in Armstrong county were better known. During the Grange movement, he was a high official in that order. His death occurred the day before Christmas, 1896, at the age of seventy-four years. While preparing an address for the Christian Endeavor Society, he was called up higher and never spoke again after receiving a stroke of paralysis. For many years he was an elder in the Presbyterian church, of which he and his wife had been lifelong members. She is yet living, an honored resident of Pittsburg, living with her son, Rev. Joseph P. Calhoun, a noted divine of the Presbyterian church, whose services as a pastor of the church in Pittsburg is appreciated by all his flock. Of their ten children, nine are yet living: Rev. Joseph P., at Pittsburg; Rev. John, a Congregational minister at Mandeville, Wyoming; Doctor Grier O.; Doctor Chambers D., our subject; Rev. Harry, a Presbyterian minister, residing near Wellsville, Ohio; Doctor William J., residing in St. Charles, Illinois; Samuel C, an attorney in Pennsylvania; Cyrus Pershing, a farmer of Pennsylvania; and Herbert Bruce, a machinist of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and was educated in the district schools and finished a course of about three years at the Glade Run Academy at Dayton, Pennsylvania. He remained at home and assisted in the cultivation of the farm, also taught school for a number of years in Pennsylvania. He read medicine with his cousin, Dr. Franklin Calhoun, of Dayton, Pennsylvania, then attended the .Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in 1884. Coming west, he located at Earlville, Illinois, and commenced the practice of his profession with Dr.Vosburg, under the firm name of Vosburg & Calhoun. This partnership continued two years and was then dissolved,
Dr. Calhoun moving to Troy Grove, Illinois, where he remained two years, and then came to Elburn, where he has since continued to reside, and where he has built up a large practice in town and country.
Dr. Calhoun was married June 2, 1887, the same day on which President Cleveland was married. He wedded Miss Sophia Martin, a native of New York. She is a true Christian woman, and is especially interested in the work of the Christian Endeavor, being one of its officers and leaders, in the Congregational church of Elburn, of which she is a member. The Doctor is also a member of that church, and is now serving as deacon and trustee. Fraternally he is a member of the Masonic order, in which he has filled most of the chairs. In politics he is independent, choosing the man rather than favoring the party.
Dr. Calhoun is a member of the Fox River Valley Medical Association, and for a time was a member of the Central Illinois Medical Association. At present he is health officer of Elburn, and is examining physician for the AEtna Insurance Company, the New York Life, the Union Central, of Cincinnati, Ohio, the Michigan Central, the Western Mutual Life, of Chicago, and several others. He is a public spirited and progressive citizen, believes in keeping abreast with the times, and takes a deep interest in the welfare of the community in which he resides.
J.J. WILLIAMS, an enterprising farmer, residing on section 18, Kaneville township, where he operates a farm of two hundred and seventy-three acres, first came to Kane county, in 1866. He is a native of Ohio, born in Jackson county, July 15, 1840. His father, James Williams, was a native of Wales, where he grew to manhood, and married Hannah Thomas, also a native of Wales. In 1836 they emigrated to the United States, locating first in Jackson county, Ohio, where they remained four years, and then removed to Iowa county, Wisconsin, where he entered land, and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was a prosperous farmer, but was cut off in the prime of life, dying in 1848. His wife survived him but one year, dying in 1849.
The subject of this sketch grew to manhood in Iowa county, Wisconsin, where he had very limited educational advantages. His parents dying when he was a mere lad, he had to make his own way in the world. In 1860 he went to Idaho, and there spent four years in silver mining, with indifferent success. In 1864 he returned to Wisconsin, where he remained but a very short time, and then to came Big Rock township, Kane county, where for two years he worked on a farm, by the month. In 1867 he was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Whildin, a daughter of Jeremiah Whildin, now deceased, and a sister of John C. Whildin, whose sketch appears in this work. She was a native of New York, and came to Kane county, Illinois, with her parents, when a mere child. By this union there were four children, Gertie Ann, a young lady at home; Eveline, now the wife of William Johnson, a farmer of Kaneville township; Leroy and Otis, at home. The wife and mother died in 1882, mourned by family and a large circle of friends.
Immediately after marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Williams moved to Champaign county, Illinois, where he bought a farm in East Bend township, and there resided two years. He then sold and located in DeKalb county, about two miles from Hinckley, where he engaged in farming for six years, then sold and returned to Kane county, and purchased the farm where he now resides. Since locating here, Mr. Williams has made some permanent and substantial improvements on the place, tilling it and making it a most valuable farm. Politically he is a stanch Republican, and while taking a commendable interest in political affairs, has never sought nor desired office. Fraternally he is a Master Mason, a member of the blue lodge at Elburn. For thirty-two years, with the exception of a short time spent in Champaign and DeKalb counties, Mr. Williams has been a resident of Kane county, and by its people is held in the highest respect. Commencing life with but little means, by his labor and enterprise, he has become the possessor of a large and valuable farm, and a comfortable home, where he may spend his declining years.
JOSEPH INGHAM, who resides on section 14, Sugar Grove township, is recognized as one of the leading farmers in the township. He is a native of Kane county, born on the farm where he now resides, October 18, 1839. His father, Colonel Samuel S. Ingham, was a native of Oneida county, New York, born in 1801, while his grandfather, Joseph Ingham, was born on the West India Islands. The latter was a sailor, and was master of a vessel for twenty-five years. Leaving the sea, he settled in the town of Steuben, Oneida county, New York, where his son Samuel, was born and reared.
Samuel S. Ingham married Nancy Owens, also a native of Oneida county, New York, and whose father was a soldier in the Revolutionary army. In 1839, with his family he came to Kane county, Illinois, arriving here on the 17th of June, making the entire trip with a team. On arriving here, he purchased a claim from his brother Joseph, who came to the county in 1835. The claim consisted of about one hundred and thirty acres, on which Joseph had built a small shanty, but had made no other improvements. Colonel Ingham at once began the development of the farm and about 1858 erected a large and substantial brick residence. His barns and other outbuildings were of the best, and all improvements were in keeping with the times. As his means increased he bought more land until his farm consisted of over six hundred acres, in the early day he kept a hotel, which was the stopping place for many prospectors and the traveling public for some years. He was an active, enterprising man, and was well known throughout Kane and adjoining counties. While residing in New York he served as colonel of militia, and the title continued with him on his removal to this state. His death occurred on the home farm, March 17, 1864; while his wife survived him some fifteen years, dying in 1879, in Aurora, where she was then residing.
Joseph Ingham is the oldest of a family of eight children, of whom three are yet living. John, who owns an interest in the homestead, resides on the home farm, while his sister, Mrs. Adeline Spencer, resides in Aurora. Joseph spent his youth on the old farm, and received his primary education in the common schools and for two years was a student in Lombard University, Galesburg, Illinois. He enlisted September 20, 1861, in Company A, Thirty-sixth Illinois Cavalry, and went to the front, participating in the battles of Pea Ridge, Iuka, Corinth, Black River Bridge, the siege of Vicksburg, and with Banks on the Red River expedition. In February of 1864, he veteranized, and came home on a furlough, after which he joined his regiment and continued in the service until August of 1864, when he was mustered out and returned home. Enlisting as a private, he was appointed corporal and later quartermaster sergeant. While in the service he lost no time by reason of sickness.
After his discharge Mr. Ingham returned home and took charge of the farm in 1865. In 1869 he married Elizabeth Sticklane, a native of Kane county, born in the town of Aurora, September 28, 1840, and a daughter of Robert Sticklane, a pioneer settler of the county. After his marriage he continued the cultivation of his farm until 1878, when he moved to Clay county, Illinois, and operated a large farm for two years. He then returned to the old farm, where he has since continued to reside. For about twelve years he engaged in the dairy business in connection with his farming operations and in that line met with success. For about twenty years he and his brother John have been extensively engaged in feeding cattle.
Mr. and Mrs. Ingham have three children living: the oldest, Samuel S., is a well-educated young man, a graduate of the West Side Aurora High School, and is now engaged with his father in the cultivation of the farm. Sarah is a well-educated young lady, and is principal of the Pennsylvania Avenue School, of Aurora. Millie is a graduate of the West Side High School, Aurora, and resides at home. Two of their children died in early childhood.
Politically Mr. Ingham is a stanch Republican, although his first presidential ballot was cast for Stephen A. Douglas in 1860. Since that time, however, he has been an advocate of the principles of the Republican party. For nine years he served as assessor of his township, and has also served as collector and in other minor official positions. In the fall of 1892 he was elected county recorder of Kane county, and filled the office in an acceptable manner, the term of four years. Fraternally he is a Master Mason, a member of the lodge at Aurora. Religiously Mrs. Ingham is a member of the Baptist church of Aurora. For fifty-nine years, with the exception of a short time spent in Clay county, Mr. Ingham has been a resident of Kane county, and is well known throughout its length and breadth as an enterprising man, one willing to do all in his power to advance its best interests.
BACK TO BIOGRAPHY INDEX
Return to the Main Index Page for Kane County