BIOGRAPHIES published in
the "Biographical Record of Kane County, Illinois"
Originally printed by the S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1898
All biographies submitted by K. Torp
CLINTON F. IRWIN, of the firm of Irwin & Egan, attorneys at law, Cook block, Elgin, enjoys an enviable reputation in the legal fraternity of Kane county, having the past eighteen years built up a practice that many older attorneys might earnestly desire. He was born in Franklin Grove, Lee county, Illinois, January 1, 1854, and is a son of Henry and Ann Elizabeth (McNeal) Irwin, the former born in the north of Ireland, and the later in Pennsylvania. Of their three children, Clinton F. is the only one now living. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Henry, Irwin, was a native of County Antrim, Ireland. On coming to America he lived for a time in Canada, and in 1836 came to Illinois, settling in Franklin Grove, Lee county, where he improved a farm and there died in 1853, at the age of fifty-seven years. He was the father of three sons and nine daughters.
The maternal grandfather, Thomas McNeal, was a native of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, of Scotch-Irish descent. By occupation he was a farmer, following that calling during his entire life. He also moved to Illinois at an early day and settled near Dixon, where he died at an advanced age. In his family were three sons and one daughter. His youngest son entered the army in defense of the Union and was killed at the battle of Perryville.
Henry Irwin, Jr., was but a small child when he came with his parents to Canada. When twelve years of age he went to Lee county, Illinois, where he married Ann Elizabeth McNeal. In 1859 he came to Kane county and located at Maple Park, where he engaged in the hotel business and in running a meat market. He died in 1880, at the age of fifty-four years. His wife survived until February, 1894, dying at Elgin at the home of her son, at the age of sixty-one years. They were originally members of the Methodist Episcopal church. During the dark days of the Rebellion Henry Irwin enlisted as a member of Company C, Seventy-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until early in 1865, when he was transferred to the Twenty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry - Grant's old regiment - which was sent to Texas. The war ending, he was discharged after serving two years and eight months.
Clinton Fillmore Irwin was six years of age when his parents removed to Maple Park, Kane county. In the public schools of that village he received a common-school education, which was later supplemented by attendance at Wheaton College ,and the Valparaiso (Indiana) Normal. Before attaining his eighteenth year he commenced teaching in the public schools and continued to be thus successfully engaged until he was twenty-five years old. While yet teaching he commenced reading law in the office of W. H. H. Kennedy, of Maple Park, but the last three years studied alone. After passing a successful examination he was admitted to the bar in 1879, at Chicago, and at once commenced the practice of his profession at Maple Park. He there continued until 1883, when he removed to Elgin, and, forming a partnership with Robert S. Egan, they have since engaged in active practice with fine success.
Mr. Irwin was united in marriage November 3, 1880, with Miss Julia Helen Egan, daughter of William and Bridget (Sanders) Egan. By this union four children have been born: William Henry Harrison, Clayton Franklin, Mary Mildred and Clinton Francis. The second named died in early childhood on the 28th of June, 1890. Religiously Mrs. Irwin is a member of the Catholic church.
Mr. Irwin is a member of the Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen, Maccabees and United Workmen. Politically he is a Republican, the principles of which party were instilled into him from his birth, which was the year in which the Republican party came into existence. In 1896 he stumped a great portion of the states of Illinois and Indiana, spending about two months in that work. He delivered addresses at Sycamore, Batavia, Geneva, Aurora, Wheaton, Hinsdale, Downer's Grove and various other places in Illinois. In Chicago he delivered four speeches, also at Geneva Lake, Wisconsin, La Porte, Indiana, and other points outside the state. While his professional duties have commanded much of his time, he has yet served his township and city, first as supervisor from Virgil in 1881-2, and was assistant supervisor of Elgin in 1885. He was corporation counsel for the city of Elgin from May, 1895, until May, 1897, and discharged the responsible duties of that position in a most creditable manner.
A resident of the county since 1858 and for eighteen years a member of the bar, Mr. Irwin has gone in and out among the people, making many friends and establishing a reputation as one of its leading attorneys. Genial and affable, possessed of a logical mind and of rare persuasive powers, he is enabled to appear well before a jury and to exert over it a wonderful influence. As a citizen he has at all times the good of the community at heart and all his abilities are exerted to make the city and county of his adoption rank among the brightest and best of all composing this great commonwealth.
ELON G. DOUGLASS, a prominent citizen of Elgin, now retired from active business cares, is one of the men who make old age seem the better portion of life. He is a very intelligent and well-informed man, and to those who have the pleasure of his acquaintance his well-stored mind and conversational powers are a source of perpetual pleasure. Mr. Douglass was born near Gorham, Ontario county, New York, and is a worthy representative of an honored old family of the east. His father, George Douglass, was a native of Connecticut, born in 1804, and was a son of Rev. Caleb Douglass, also a native of that state, whence he removed with his family to Ontario county, New York, settling near Whitesboro. He died at Gorham in 1835, at a very advanced age, being blind for the last seven years of his life. His father, a colonial soldier in the Revolutionary war, was one of three brothers who crossed the Atlantic from Scotland at a very early day, and who first located in Massachusetts, but afterward removed to Connecticut. One brother settled in New York, the other in Pennsylvania.
George Douglass, our subject's father, was unusually well educated for his time, and successfully engaged in teaching when a young man, after which he served as school inspector in New York for many years, while he followed the occupation of a farmer. In 1856 he became a resident of Kane county, Illinois, and here died ten years later. In early life he married Miss Eliza Metcalf, who was born in the town of Gorham, Ontario county, New York, about 1809, of English ancestry, and who was called to her final rest in 1894. Her father, Irwin Metcalf, who died in New York at about the age of eighty years, was three times married, his first wife being the mother of Mrs. Douglass.
The subject of this sketch is the second in order of birth in the family of four children, the others being as follows: Mary died in July, 1897; Ada, who was the wife of Ogden Seward, of Dutchess county, New York, died in May, 1893; Ora P. enlisted in September, 1861, in the Union army during the Civil war, was wounded at the siege of Vicksburg, and died at Jefferson Barracks in June, 1863. Going to see him, our subject wished to bring him home, and it is probable that he might have lived if permitted to come.
Elon G. Douglass began his education in the public schools of his native county, subsequently attended the Canandaigua Academy, and after his removal to Rochester, New York, at the age of twenty years, he attended the Rochester University for four years. Having thus obtained an excellent education, he successfully engaged in teaching school for several years during early life. In April, 1856, he became a resident of Kane county, and has since been identified with its interests. By rail he and his father came to Chicago, thence proceeded to DuPage county, Illinois, Rock Island, and on to Iowa City, Iowa, looking for a suitable location, and finally decided to settle in Kane county, with which they were best pleased. Our subject remained in Elgin while the father returned for the family, which arrived in June, 1856. Upon section 22, Elgin township, the father bought one hundred seventy-two acres of prairie land, and also eleven acres of timber, and with him the son engaged in farming until the father's death. On first locating here Mr. Douglass gave his attention principally to the raising of cereals adapted to this climate- wheat, corn, oats, etc.-later engaged in stock raising, and finally devoted his energies to dairy farming, being thus employed from 1879 until 1895. Having met with a well deserved success in his undertakings, he has now laid aside business cares, and is enjoying the fruits of his former toil at his pleasant home, at No. 636 Lillie street, Elgin, where he has resided since August, 1895.
In Rochester, New York, October 7, 1856, Mr. Douglass married Miss Angie Bradbury, a native of Erie county, New York, and a daughter of William B. and Maria (Van Scoten) Bradbury. Her mother's people came to this country with the Van Rensselaers and other patrons from Holland. Her father, who was quite prominent in musical circles, was born in Bath, England, in 1787, a son of William B. Bradbury, Sr., and when three years of age he came to America. He was a farmer by occupation, and having accumulated a comfortable competence, he spent his last years in ease and retirement from active labor. At about the age of thirty-five he was married to Maria Van Scoten, by whom he had nine children, Mrs. Douglass being the fourth in order of birth. Only four are now living, the others being two older sisters and a younger brother. The father died at Caledonia, Livingston county, New York, at the age of ninety years, and Mrs. Douglass had an uncle who lived to the extreme old age of one hundred four.
Two children were born to our subject and wife - Ella and Irving - but both died when young. Mr. Douglass' nephew, Ora Seward, now makes his home with them. He is a graduate of the Elgin Academy and the Chicago University, completing both the literary and law courses in the latter institution, and for a time he engaged in the practice of his chosen profession in Nebraska. He also taught in Shurtliff College, Upper Alton, Illinois; Elgin Academy, and in the Lake Forest Seminary; and is now taking a post-graduate course in languages. He studied in Europe for fourteen months.
Mr. and Mrs. Douglass are devout and earnest Christians, are active and prominent members of the Baptist church of Elgin, and take considerable interest in all kinds of church work. Mr. Douglass can well remember the exciting campaign of 1840, when the Whig cry was "Tippecanoe and Tyler, too." He now gives his unwavering support to the men and measures of the Republican party, but has never cared for political honors. He is, however, one of the representative and honored citizens of his community, having the respect and esteem of all who know him.
LYSANDER STOWELL, for many years one of the leading agriculturists of Elgin township, Kane county, and one of its honored pioneers as well as highly respected citizens, was born October 21, 1824, near Hartford, Connecticut. With his father, Seth Stowell, he came to Elgin when there was but one house standing in the prospective city, and with the growth and development of the county he was prominently identified until his death. The father, a cabinet maker by trade, manufactured the first organ built in St. Charles. He became quite well-to-do, owning a large tract of land three miles in extent in Elgin and St. Charles townships, and to each of his three sons, Lysander, Washington and Franklin, he gave a farm.
Reared to agricultural pursuits, Lysander Stowell adopted farming as a life work, and in his undertakings met with excellent success. He died upon his farm in Elgin township, May 18, 1889. He was a man of studious habits, always a great reader, and was well posted on the leading questions and issues of the day. He was a supporter of the Republican party, but never cared for the honors or emoluments of public office. As a citizen and neighbor he merited and received the high regard of the entire community.
In 1884 Mr. Stowell was united in marriage with Mrs. Martha Knettle, widow of George Knettle. She was born March 16, 1831, near Warm Springs and Randesburg, Pennsylvania, fifteen miles from Carlisle, and is the daughter of Jesse and Mary (Stone) Hipple, also a native of that state. Her maternal grandfather, Richard Stone, was a native of London, England, while her paternal grandfather, John Hipple, was one of five brothers who left their old home in Germany and together came to America prior to the Revolutionary war. He served as a farrier through a part of that struggle and shod a horse for General Washington. He was a well-to-do farmer, but on selling his farm received his pay in Continental money, which proved useless and he lost all. Jesse Hipple, Mrs. Stowell's father, was born October 11, 1800, and died in Geneva, Illinois, at the age of eighty-three or eighty-four years. By trade he was a tailor, but for some years prior to his death he lived retired. In his family of six children, Mrs. Stowell was the fourth in order of birth.
George Knettle, Mrs. Stowell's first husband, was born near Mifflintown, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, December 18, 1806, a son of Henry and Hannah (Walker) Knettle, who were born near the Delaware river in Bucks county, that state. His paternal ancestors were from Wurtemburg, Germany, while the Walkers were of Scotch descent. His grandfather was George Knettle, who married a Miss Sleuker. George Knettle, Jr., was twice married, his first wife being a Miss Steward, also a native of Pennsylvania, by whom he has four children - one son and three daughters. In Chicago he married Miss Martha Hipple, and to them were born three children: One died in infancy, unnamed; Lacy, deceased; and Grace F. Mr. Knettle was a prosperous business man and accumulated considerable property. Going to Minneapolis in 1857 he purchased a large tract of timber land in "The Big Woods" west of that city, where he erected large sawmills and became extensively interested in the manufacture of lumber. He sustained heavy losses, however, through fire, and in 1868 came to Kane county, Illinois, where he rented a farm and established a cheese factory. Later he retired from active business and returned to Minnesota, where he died April 10, 1883, honored and respected by all who knew him. Mrs. Stowell now makes her home at No. 304 Walnut street, Elgin, and is surrounded by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
FRANK KRAMER - Much of the civilization of the world has come from the Teutonic race. Continually moving westward they have taken with them the enterprise and advancement of their eastern homes and have become valued and useful citizens of various localities. In this country especially have they demonstrated their power to adapt themselves to new circumstances, retaining at the same time their progressiveness and energy, and have become loyal and devoted citizens, true to the institutions of "the land of the free " and untiring in promotion of all that will prove of benefit to their adopted country. The German element in America forms an important part of American citizenship, and of this class Mr. Kramer is a worthy representative. He is now editor and proprietor of the "Deutsche Zeitung," of Elgin, and has made his paper an important factor in the public welfare of the city.
Mr. Kramer was born in Bodenheim, Hessen Darmstadt, Germany, April 24, 1838, a son of John Kramer, also a native of that locality, who was a son of Bernhardt Kramer. The father of our subject was a farmer and grape cultivator, and spent his entire life in his native land, where he died in 1882. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Kirchner, was a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Koegler) Kirchner, and her father was one of the soldiers who fought under the great Napoleon. She died in 1890. The parents of our subject had four children, of whom he is the second. The others are Henry, John and Elizabeth, who are still living in the Fatherland. The sister visited Mr. Kramer in Elgin during the summer of 1893, and also attended the Columbian Exposition in Chicago.
Frank Kramer was educated in the schools of his native land and when nineteen years of age bade adieu to home and friends and sailed for America, landing in New York in 1857. He spent a short period in Elmira, New York, then went to Chicago, and at Elmhurst, Illinois, took up his residence. He worked there as a farm hand for a time and then went to the lumber woods of Wisconsin, after which he returned to Elgin and again secured work on a farm.
Later he located in the city of Elgin, where he learned the cooper's trade, which he followed five years in Elgin and Chicago. Returning to Elgin, he entered the employ of Dr. H. K. Whitford, with whom he remained six years, looking after the Doctor's collections and other business interests. He then engaged in the dray business on his own account, and was thus engaged until 1880, when he established the Elgin "Deutsche Zeitung," which he has since published with good success. He has enlarged it from a six-column quarto to a six-column five-leaf paper, and now has a large circulation among the German population of this section of the state. Its political support has ever been given the Democratic party, and it strongly advocates the free silver and other planks of that platform. However, at local elections, where no national issue is involved, it upholds the best man regardless of party affiliations. Its circulation is now the largest of any German weekly paper in the county. The paper is a neat and attractive sheet, devoted to the best interests of the community, and to the advancement of the sons of the fatherland. Its editorials are interesting, just and progressive, and the "Zeitung" is a popular visitor in many homes.
Mr. Kramer has not always been a Democrat. In ante-bellum days he was an abolitionist. He voted for Lincoln and in 1868 for Grant, but in 1872 supported Horace Greeley and has been a Democrat since that time. In 1878 he was elected as an independent candidate to the office of town collector and filled that position in a most creditable way. From 1888 to 1891 he represented the first ward of Elgin in the city council and was chairman of the finance committee. In 1897 he was appointed by Mayor Price, park commissioner for a term of three years and has ever proved a capable and faithful public officer. He owns considerable real estate, having made judicious investments in various parts of the city.
On the 26th of October, 1860, Mr. Kramer married Miss Carrie H., born in Chicago September 8, 1840, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Atzel) Markel, natives of Alsace and Loraine, Germany, respectively. They died in Hanover township, Cook county, Illinois.
Mr. and Mrs. Kramer are the parents of the following named children: John F., who is now in the express business and also deals in coal and wood; Henry J., a ranch man of Custer county, Montana; Katherine E., a graduate of the Elgin high school, who was for three terms deputy town collector and for seven years a deputy in the county treasurer's office during the busy season; Martha M., a graduate of the high school, who married Ed Dolph, of Chicago, and has one child, Alvin; Mamie A., a graduate of .the high school and of a short hand and typewriting course, in Kimball's College, Chicago, who died February 9, 1896; Carolyn H., who attended the high school and Drews Business College; Rutherford B., a graduate of the Elgin Academy and now a student in the law department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor; William M. and N. Elsie, who are now students in the public schools of Elgin.
Mr. Kramer is president of the Elgin German Benevolent Society, the oldest organization of the kind in the county, and at intervals has served as its president for twelve years. The family attend the First Baptist church. Mr. Kramer belongs to that class of men whom the world terms self-made, for coming to this country empty-handed, he has conquered all obstacles in the path to success, and has not only secured for himself a handsome competence, but by his efforts has materially advanced the interests of the community with which he is associated. He is a prominent figure in business, political and social circles and ranks among the leading citizens of Kane county. Mr. Kramer has twice visited his old home in Germany, once in 1881 and again in 1891.
EDWARD S. ENO, superintendent of the Elgin branch of the New York Condensed Milk Company, Elgin, Illinois, is one of the best known and highly esteemed citizens of the place. He traces his ancestry back to James Eno, who was of French extraction, but who came to this country from England in 1648, locating in Windsor, Connecticut. A sword said to have been brought by him from England has passed from father to eldest son from that day to this, and is now in possession of John S. Eno, of Brewster, New York.
Samuel Eno, the great-great-grandfather of our subject, was the father of Daniel Eno, who married Chloe Mills, December 23, 1809, by whom he had six children- Charlotte, Esther, Erastus S., Emeline E., Daniel Mills and Aurelia E.
Daniel Mills Eno was born October 28, 1812, in Connecticut, where he grew to manhood, and was there married March 30, 1836, to Eunice C. Sage, a native of the same state, born in 1813. Later he moved to Wayne county, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in farming until his death, which occurred December 25, 1891. He was a good man, a member and deacon in the Presbyterian church for many years, and from time to time held a number of minor official positions. His wife, who was also a member of the same religious body, is yet living, an honored resident of Seeleyville, Pennsylvania. They were the parents of ten children, eight of whom are yet living. In order of birth they are as follows: (1) John S., a resident of Brewster, New York, married Susan Clark and had five children - Clark, Emma, Frank, Daniel (deceased) and Susan. (2) Eunice is the wife of John E. Woodward and is the mother of two children-Anna M. and Alfred. (3) Susan is the widow of John K. Jenkins and had nine children-Frederick W. (deceased), Mary, Benjamin, Laura, Martha, Susan, John K., Gail and Grace. (4) Laura is the wife of Eben H. Clark and has five children-Elizabeth, Herbert, Edward, Bertha and Daniel. (5) Edward S., our subject, is the next of the family. (6) George died in infancy. (7) Alfred W. married Rose Miller and has two children-Daniel and Helen. (8) Fred K. died in infancy. (9) Lillie G. is at home. (10) Charlotte E. is the wife of J. O. Southard, by whom she has one child, Eunice.
Edward S. Eno, our subject, was born in Seeleyville, Pennsylvania, May 26, 1848, and was reared on his father's farm in Wayne county, being educated in the public schools. After leaving school he clerked for about eighteen months in a hardware store in his native town, and in 1870 commenced work for the New York Condensed Milk Company at Brewster, New York. From that time to the present he has been connected with that company and has served in almost every capacity, commencing work in the least responsible position and working his way up to the superintendency of one of the most important branches of the business. They manufacture Gail Borden's condensed milk.
Mr. Eno was married in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, October 21, 1873, to Miss Helen A. Conyne, a native of that county, and a daughter of Alexander and Laura (Gregory) Conyne, the former a native of New York, the latter of Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, who removed to Wayne county in a very early day. Alexander Conyne was by occupation a stationary engineer, and followed that pursuit within a few years of his death, when he purchased a farm and engaged in agriculture. His death occurred April 1, 1876. His wife, who is a member of the Baptist church, is still living and makes her home with her children. They were the parents of ten children, as follows: George W., who married Charlotte Webster (now deceased) and resides in New Haven, Connecticut; Charles W., deceased; Frank F., a resident of Montana; Helen A., wife of our subject; Clara P., wife of Horace White, of White Valley, Pennsylvania; Charles G., who married Anna Hawkins and now resides in Mandan, North Dakota; Case V., who married Mary Pullis and lives in Bangor, South Dakota; Eva L., wife of Fred W. Chase, of Butte, Montana; Fannie I., also a resident of Butte; and Herbert A., of Anaconda, Montana.
To Mr. and Mrs. Eno four children have been born: Charles Edward, who died at the age of fifteen months; and Herbert S. Laura E. and Alfred W., all of whom are yet under the parental roof. The family reside in a neat and comfortable home on North Spring street, Elgin, where they delight to entertain their many friends. The parents are members of the Prospect Street Congregational church, in the work of which they are actively engaged. Fraternally, Mr. Eno is a member of Monitor lodge, No. 522, F. & A. M.; and Washington lodge, No. 13, A. O. U. W., of Elgin.
In politics Mr. Eno is a thorough Republican, and has been identified with that party since casting his first presidential vote for U. S. Grant. His business interests have usually been such that he could not give much of his time to political affairs, more than to attend the conventions of his party, vote its ticket and in a quiet way advocate its principles. In the municipal affairs of his adopted city he has always manifested the greatest interest, and in the discharge of his duties as a citizen he has done his full share in its development. For two years he served as alderman from his ward, and his record as a member of the city council is a commendable one. While serving in that capacity he was chairman of the finance committee and of the special committee on water works. To him probably as much as any other man is due the present fine water works in Elgin, acknowledged to be among the very best in the entire country. To secure the admirable system he devoted much time and study. He also served three years as a member of the board of education.
For some eight or ten years Mr. Eno served in the fire department of the city, only resigning his position because he could not give it the time and attention necessary. The same energy shown in creating and making efficient the water works was displayed by him in the fire department.
It is, however, as superintendent of the Elgin Branch of the New York Condensed Milk Company that he is best known throughout Kane and adjoining counties. In 1870 he came to Elgin as a representative of that company, and in 1882 he was made superintendent, and has since occupied that position. In 1870 there was comparatively little doing in the milk business in Elgin, and what little milk found its way into this market was shipped to Chicago. With the establishment of the condensed milk factory the business began rapidly to grow until to-day Elgin is recognized as the leading place in the United States for this industry. In addition to the large quantity used by the New York Condensed Milk Company, vast quantities of milk are used in the manufacture of butter and cheese. All conversant with the subject acknowledge that to Mr. Eno and his wise management of the affairs of the company much of this success is due. In all the thirty-three years in which the company have operated here there has never been a strike among its employees, and the best feeling is always maintained by all connected with it. The superintendent is honored and respected by the men and he honors and respects them. During the campaign of 1896 a lot of politicians were discussing the relation between employers and employees, one party endeavoring to show that they were antagonistic, one to the other. Reference was made in proof of this to several large institutions, when someone mentioned the Elgin branch of the New York Condensed Milk Company. The contending party at once objected to reference to that company, stating aside from the New York Condensed Milk Company his contention was true. "In that company," said he, "the superintendent and employees are too much like one family." A greater compliment could not have been bestowed upon Mr. Eno. All classes and all professions speak of him in the highest terms of praise.
HENRY BLAZIER is a retired farmer residing in the village of Hampshire. His father, John Blazier, was born in the village of Diefenalern, Bavaria, May 28, 1819. In his native country he learned the trades of cooper and brewer, and, while yet residing there, served three years in the Bavarian army. He remained in his native land until 1847, when he started for America with the design of enlisting in the Mexican war, but the war was closed before he reached the field. He sailed from Hamburg and landed in New York after a voyage of forty-nine days. He there secured work, and for a time was engaged in the tile factory across the river in New Jersey. Desiring to come west he ascended the Hudson, and by canal went to Buffalo, New York, and thence by lake to Chicago. Coming to Kane county, he settled in Hampshire township, but secured work for a time at the cooper's trade in Belvidere, Boone county, and then worked for various farmers in the neighborhood. During the war he bought land in Hampshire county, and, as wheat, during the latter part of the struggle, was two dollars per bushel, he was enabled to add to his original purchase, paying cash for the same. In the fall of 1881, he rented his farm and moved to the village of Hampshire, where he is living retired.
John Blazier is the son of Wolf Blazier, of French descent, who fought against Napoleon, and who served as a revenue officer in Germany. John Blazier first married in New York Barbara Ber, by whom he had seven children, five yet living, as follows: Henry, our subject; Carrie, who, on the 29th of March, 1880, married Albert Eichler, a native of Saxony, Germany, born March 15, 1853, and who died May 17, 1885. He came to this country with his parents, George and Sophia Eichler, and later purchased a farm in De Kalb county, Illinois, which is yet owned by his widow. They were the parents of two children, Albert and Ida, who now attend the public schools of Hampshire; George is a farmer in Hampshire township; Mary married William Huber, by whom she has one son, Frank Blazier, and they reside in Kane county, Illinois; John is engaged in farming in the south end of Hampshire village.
Henry Blazier was born in Woodbridge, New Jersey, April 15, 1858, and came west with his parents at the age of two years. He first attended school in Reid's district, and later in the Bean district, until twenty years of age. He then hired to his father, and remained with him until 1887, when he purchased one hundred and sixty acres in section 16, and boarded with a family on an adjoining farm, and for eleven years was engaged in its cultivation with good success. In the spring of 1898 he rented the farm, and now makes his home with his sister, Mrs. Carrie Eichler, who has recently moved to the village of Hampshire. Mr. Blazier engaged principally in dairying while on the farm, usually having some twenty to thirty head of cows. His place was well improved, being tilled and ditched at a cost of one thousand dollars, and having a barn 36x68 feet, and a good dwelling house at a cost of eighteen hundred dollars. In politics he is a thorough Republican.
VINCENT S. LOVELL, deceased, through the years of his identification with Kane county, enjoyed the highest respect of his fellow townsmen by reason of his strict integrity, true manhood and intellectual attainments. He was a gentleman of refinement and culture, and his deportment was always courteous and kind. His devotion to the public welfare also made him a valued factor in public life, and by his death Elgin was deprived of one of her best citizens. He was one of her native sons, of whom she had every reason to be justly proud. On the 2d of May, 1845, he began his earthly pilgrimage, which was ended December 7, 1892, covering a lifespan of forty-seven years.
Vincent Smith Lovell was a son of Vincent Sellar and Lucy (Smith) Lovell, and in a private school conducted by his mother he acquired his elementary education, which was supplemented by a course in the Elgin Academy. At the age of fourteen he began learning the printing trade in an office in Chicago, and after learning that trade he secured a position under Pinder F. Ward in the abstract office of Geneva, Illinois. Later the mother removed with her two sons to Ann Arbor, Michigan, in order to give them the advantages of a college education, and in 1872 our subject was graduated in the State University. He then secured a place on the staff of the "Argus," a journal published in Albany, New York, with which he was connected for two years, when he again came to the west and became a member of the staff of the Chicago "Post and Mail," with which he was associated until entering into partnership with his brother, Judge Lovell, in the real-estate business and law practice. They thus carried on business until the death of our subject, and their judicious management, keen foresight and unflagging enterprise brought them a gratifying success.
Mr. Lovell was married at Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, August 19, 1876, to Miss Eliza A. Hadwen. The lady was born near Halifax, Yorkshire, England, a daughter of Thomas Wilson Hadwen, who, like his father, John Hadwen, was a wealthy cotton and silk manufacturer. The last named married Margaret Lovell, a daughter of John J. Lovell, a gentleman farmer of England. The father of Mrs. Eliza Lovell had retired from business, and with his family was living abroad at the time of her marriage. Mr. Lovell continued in active business in his native city until called to the home beyond. Although not connected with any church, his life was permeated by true Christian principles. He was considerate of the welfare and rights of others, had great sympathy for his fellow men, was benevolent, and never spoke an uncharitable word. His ability was recognized by his fellow citizens, he serving as mayor of the city, discharging the duties of the office in a highly satisfactory manner until he resigned for the reason that he could not conscientiously perform the duties of his office. He also served for some years as director of the public library. He was, however, very retiring, and few knew the depths of his nature, but his intimate friends had an appreciation and respect for him which arises only from true worth.
SAMUEL C. ROWELL, deceased, was for many years one of the leading men of Hampshire township. He was born at East Plainfield, Sullivan county, New Hampshire, April 13, 1819, and was the son of Jacob and Mary (Currier) Rowell, the former being a farmer in New Hampshire, where he was born, and where his entire life was spent, dying after having passed his three score years and ten. His father, the grandfather of our subject, was Enoch Rowell, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
Samuel C. Rowell was reared on a farm and attended the district schools until the age of fifteen, when he entered Kimball Union Academy, at Meriden, New Hampshire, where he spent three years. He taught school winters and worked on farms other seasons for a time, and while working with a companion,, laying stone wall one hot day, both resolved to leave the stony country and get a living more easily else-where. Accordingly, in 1840, he went to Kentucky, where Yankee teachers were in demand. He there engaged in teaching for about three years, and then came to Kane county, Illinois, riding on horseback some eight hundred miles. After examining considerable country, looking for a location, he finally decided to locate in Hampshire township, where he bought a farm of one hundred and eighty acres from the government, on which he erected a dwelling house and then returned south teaching school in Tennessee.
On his return north, Mr. Rowell stopped in Kentucky to marry the girl of his choice, who had been a pupil of his while teaching there. He was married May 13, 1844, in Fairview, Fleming county, Kentucky, to Miss Elizabeth Ball, a native of that place, born December 11, 1823, and a daughter of Silas and Tennie (Brown) Ball, the former born in Mason county, Kentucky, in March, 1800. He was the son of Benjamin Ball, a soldier of the war of 1812, who was born in Virginia, and who married Nancy Cook. Benjamin Ball was a farmer, a relative of Mary (Ball) Washington, the mother of George Washington. He died when about eighty years of age. Silas Ball followed agricultural pursuits all his life, dying in 1830. Elizabeth was first in the family of twelve children, born to Silas and Tennie Ball. To Mr. and Mrs. Rowell six children were born, of whom four survive, as follows: (1) Mary, wife of Corydon L. Dickson, of Plato township, and the mother of two children-Luella, and Ethel. The former married Edward Walgren, by whom she has one child, Eugene. (2) Fremont, who is in partnership with his mother, in the mercantile business. He married Nellie Ketchum, born in Hampshire, and a daughter of Martin Van Buren and Sophronia (Buzzell) Ketchum, the former a native of New York, who died at Rouse's Point, on Lake Champlain, when Nellie was an infant. Her father was a son of Horace Ketchum, and her mother a daughter of Aaron Buzzell. To Fremont and Nellie Rowell have been born two children: Beulah and Leone.
(3) Jessie C, who married Edward Buzzell, of Leaf River, Illinois, by whom she has two children-Walter and Arthur, twins.
(4) Olivia, who married George York, of Lyons, Iowa, and they have one child, Jessie.
After his marriage Mr. Rowell brought his bride to Hampshire township and engaged in farming, which occupation he continued until 1850, when he sold his farm and devoted his time to mercantile pursuits, having acquired an interest in a store at the old village of Hampshire, where he was in business until 1875, when he removed to the new village, soon after the completion of the railroad to that point. He erected one of the first business buildings in the village, and purchased the interest of his partner, and continued in the mercantile trade. Later he took into partnership his son, Fremont, and the business is still conducted under the firm name then adopted, Samuel C. Rowell & Son, Mrs. Rowell retaining a half interest.
Mr. Rowell was a very prominent man during life, his superior education giving him an advantage over others. He was one of the incorporators of the new village of Hampshire, and was the first president of the village board. From 1858 to 1861 he served as supervisor of the township, and again from 1864 to 1867. For twenty years he was postmaster of the village, and during that time would open office any time, day or night, for the accommodation of patrons. During his incumbency the office was moved from the old village to the new. For forty years he served as justice of the peace, and his administration of that office was satisfactory in every respect. He also served as school inspector before the office of county superintendent of public schools was established.
Mr. Rowell was made a Mason at Marengo, Illinois, in 1850, and was one of the charter members of Hampshire lodge, serving as secretary of the lodge for over thirty years. Prior to the war he was a Democrat, but when the South rebelled he became a Republican, with which party he was identified until his death, which occurred November 24, 1892. He was a man of broad character and liberal views, universally respected, and was greatly missed from his accustomed place when called to rest.
COL. RICHARD PARRAM McGLINCY, eldest son of George D. and Rukamah McGlincy, of English and Irish descent, was born in Shepardstown, Jefferson county, West Virginia, and at an early age entered the printing office of John H. Yittle, of the "Shepardstown Register," where he remained, except during the time of the Civil war, rising from the position of errand boy, at the age of eleven years, when not much taller than a common ink keg, to that of foreman of the office, which he occupied from the close of the war. He was fully equipped for all newspaper work, for which he had a passionate love. Trusted and helpful to his employer, the latter said, "As Dick has always stood by me, through thick and thin, come weal or woe, I am loth to part with him," when he married Asenath R. Wells, a graduate of the Mount Morris, Rock River Seminary, and at the time of marriage assistant principal of the Martinsburg, West Virginia, public schools, and left for Chicago in 1868.
He was there engaged in newspaper work on the "Inter Ocean," and other papers, until he came to Elgin, Illinois, in 1869, where he entered more fully into the editorial and printing work. He soon became dairy editor on the Elgin "Gazette" and also of a Minneapolis paper, taking an active part in the great dairy interests of Elgin and the Northwest, often serving as president of prominent societies, and acting as secretary of two or three at the same time, publishing their annual reports, board of trade reports, etc. During his last ten years in Elgin he was the honored and valued secretary of the Elgin Board of Trade. He was very prominent in all dairy circles, so that hardly any of their conventions were considered complete without an address from him, and he was called to many states and cities to organize boards of trade. He was therefore well and favorably known to most men in his line of work.
A typical Southerner, whole-souled and generous, he made friends wherever he went, prominent among them being ex-Gov. W. D. Hoard, of Wisconsin, who was one of his dairy co-laborers. Being an Odd Fellow of many years standing, he was very prominent in that order in Elgin, and on all public occasions was generally their representative and spokesman. He held the position of deputy grand master for many years, and retained his membership in the Elgin encampment up to the time of his death. Col. McGlincy served with distinction all through the Civil war, and part of the time fought under Stonewall Jackson. His father, a very prominent, dyed-in-the-wool West Virginia Democratic politician, died at Shepardstown, that state, in 1885, leaving a wife and five children, all of whom are living with the exception of Richard P., in Washington, District of Columbia.
In the fall of 1887, Colonel McGlincy went to San Jose, California, where he became very highly esteemed and prominent in the state, on account of his interest in all that tended to its advancement, especially its horticultural and fruit interests. He was extensively engaged in the fruit raising and its shipping, and was given charge of the Santa Clara county fruit and wine exhibit at the Columbian World's Fair, at Chicago, in 1893, where many of his old friends were glad to see him.
On his return to California after the fair, Colonel McGlincy received much favorable newspaper mention as a representative to the state legislature. He became deputy internal revenue collector, and was holding the position at the time of his cruel murder, in May, 1897. In California, as always before, he was prominently active among, and helpful to the Odd Fellows, who honored and loved him in life, and now, as brothers, sincerely mourn his sad fate and untimely death. The hall of Morning Light lodge, which he had organized at his home town, is decorated with his portrait, and Odd Fellows souvenirs, which he had received from Illinois friends.
Mrs. Asenath Rhodina (Wells) McGlincy was born and spent the early years of her life at the foot of the Alleghany mountains, in West Virginia, on the banks of the Valley river, whose bed is almost one continuous heap of stones. No wonder she sees "books in running brooks," reads "sermons in stones," and having often picked chestnut burrs from the trees, while standing on the rocks, and there gathered mosses, wild spice, holly and wintergreen, and attended " sugaring off," in the maple woods, sees in the groves, " God's temples, the hills his dwelling place," and loves the rocks the more the higher they tower. Being the eldest daughter of David and Mary Ann Wells, of Scotch, German and English origin, she largely inherits Scotch characteristics and their love of the scriptures, the German literary taste, with love of flowers and home, and a puritanic reverence of much in our forefathers, which so conspired to make our loved America great as it is.
In her early life her parents came west, and with a family of eight children, settled near Galena. Having made good progress in her studies, at the age of twelve she was placed in the noted school of A. B. C. Campbell, in that hilly city, the early home of U. S. Grant, then all surrounded by rich lead mines. From Galena she became a neighbor and schoolmate of John A. Rawlins, first on General Grant's staff, and later, secretary of war in General Grant's cabinet. At this country school they sat together on backless benches, ran races, played ball and "spelled down" -the contest always hot between the two. From this country school both went to Rock River Seminary, at Mt. Morris, Illinois, then the most prominent Methodist educational institution in Illinois-to the state then, what Evanston is now. After years of hard study, alternated with teaching in Mt. Morris, and other places in the country, she completed her course of study in the seminary, and went again to Galena, and assisted her brother, James William Wells, who was principal of its public schools. From that position she went in charge of the Galena Academy, remaining until her brother decided to go to California, in 1850, when she left and took the principalship of the Shullsburg, Wisconsin, school, where she gave good satisfaction for years. Her next teaching was as assistant principal in the Dubuque, Iowa, schools, and from there in 1863, she took the principalship of the Des Moines, Iowa, schools, remaining until near the close of the late Civil war. In April, 1865, as she was boarding a train for a visit to her early West Virginia, home the news came of President Lincoln's assassination. While in this old mountain home, visiting and teaching, the last of which was as assistant principal in the Martinsburg, West Virginia, schools, she formed the acquaintance of Richard Parran McGlincy, to whom she was married in July, 1868. Coming immediately west, by way of Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Niagara Falls to Chicago, they there resided until March, 1869, and then settled in Elgin, Illinois. After coming to Elgin she engaged in teaching in a select school for a number of years, having among her scholars many young men and women now prominently engaged in business in Elgin and elsewhere. She is a Chautauqua graduate, now holding her certificate as a graduate of the Chautauqua National Literary Circle. She now lives again on the banks of a river, in the lovely valley of the Fox, in her own beautiful home, trying to make the most and best of life, for self and others, surrounded by and loving as ever, her flowers and books.
D.R. BEEBE, a well-known insurance agent living at No. 411 Walnut avenue, Elgin, was born September 6, 1847, in Columbia county, New York, of which state his parents, Riley and Amelia (Bunker) Beebe, were also natives. The father, who was a cooper by trade, removed from New York to Kane county, Illinois, in 1852, locating in Geneva, where he engaged in farming and gardening for some years. Subsequently he came to Elgin, where he passed away in his eighty-eighth year, while his wife died in May, 1897, in her eighty-second year. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, while she was a Spiritualist in religious belief.
Born to this worthy couple were fourteen children, but only six are now living, three of whom are residents of Kane county, those beside our subject being Amos C, a blacksmith employed in the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad shops at Aurora, and Mrs. Mary E. Olson, of Elgin. Four of the sons were numbered among the defenders of the Union during the Civil war. Thomas J., the oldest, who is now a resident of Anthony, Harper county, Kansas, enlisted August 7, 1861, in an independent company, known as the Kane County Cavalry, which afterward served as body guard to Generals Halleck, Curtis and Steele. He entered the service as a private, was made orderly, and on the 2d of October, 1863, was commissioned captain of his company, which was afterward consolidated by the War Department and made a part of the Fifteenth Illinois Cavalry. He remained in the service three years, and was in many important battles. James E. was a member of the same company, but at the end of nineteen months of faithful service he was honorably discharged on account of physical disability. On regaining his health, he re-enlisted and served until the close of the war, being in Texas with the last remnant of the forces against Kirby Smith. He died October 8, 1895, at the age of fifty-four years. John W., who was born December 5, 1843, enlisted at the same time as his older brothers in the same company, in which he served as a private until mustered out at the expiration of his three years' term of enlistment. He died September 27, 1883.
Our subject, also one of the boys in blue, was reared and educated in Kane county, and when only sixteen years of age joined the Union army, enlisting November 18, 1863, in Company B, Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry. He was engaged in the most dangerous kind of warfare, that of hunting bushwhackers, never being able to meet them in fair field. After the surrender of Lee the company of which Mr. Beebe was a member was ordered to the plains under command of General Dodge, and there took part in several engagements with the hostile Indians, being stationed on Big creek in western Kansas. There were no railroads or settlements in that region, but Mr. Beebe enjoyed the time spent there, as he had ample opportunity to engage in his favorite sport, that of hunting, killing many buffaloes and wolves. In December, 1865, he was honorably discharged, after having served two years and one month and re-turned to his home.
On starting out in life for himself Mr. Beebe was employed as a blacksmith's helper in the C. B.& Q. shops at Aurora. In 1872 he went to Guthrie county, Iowa, and for about four years was engaged in farming near Casey. He then removed to Marshalltown, Iowa, where he was employed in the railroad shops for six years. Later he worked in the Iowa Central railroad shops, .where he learned railroad spring making, at which he worked for about three years, returning to Kane county at the end of that time, and was employed in the Elgin Watch Factory for about twelve years. Since the spring of 1893 he has successfully engaged in the insurance business in Elgin, representing the Mutual Benefit, of Newark, New Jersey, and the Atlas Accident Company, of Boston.
While in Iowa Mr. Beebe was married, October 7, 1874, to Miss Angeline C. Porter, who successfully engaged in teaching in that state for four years, conducting one village school and the others in the country. Her parents, James and Lucy (Carpenter) Porter, were natives of Ohio, born near Zanesville. Her father, who served as county superintendent of schools in Jasper county, Iowa, for six years, always took an active and prominent part in educational affairs. He also filled the office of justice of the peace. His death occurred in 1876, when he was fifty-eight years of age, but his widow is still living and now makes her home in Nebraska. Of their six children, five are also living. They are as follows: Lyman, an attorney of Loveland, Colorado; Angeline C., wife of our subject; Horace, a farmer of Cozad, Nebraska; Frank, a farmer of Casey, Iowa; George, also a farmer of Cozad, Nebraska; and Docia, who was the second in order of birth and died at the age of thirteen months. Mr. Porter's maternal grandfather served for seven long years in the Colonial army during the Revolutionary war, and in the possession of the family is an old brass kettle which he captured full of butter from the Tories at the battle of Monmouth.
To Mr. and Mrs. Beebe were born four children, namely: Edgar D., who is now working in a shoe factory in Elgin; Edith, who died at the age of one year; Ethel May and Ruth, both at home. Mrs. Beebe holds membership in the Eastern Star and the Woman's Relief Corps, having served as president of the latter for three terms. Mr. Beebe is the present recording secretary of the Court Bluff City, No. 74, Independent Order of Foresters of Illinois, and for three years he has also served as commander of Veteran post, No. 49, G. A. R., of Elgin. He is very progressive in his views, believing in keeping abreast with the latter day nineteenth-century progress. In 1892 he was elected alderman of Elgin, and acceptably filled that position for two terms.
WILLIS LYMAN BLACK - One of the prominent representatives of the journalist profession is the gentleman whose name heads this brief notice, junior member of the firm of Lowrie & Black, proprietors of the "Daily News" and "Weekly Advocate," of Elgin, Illinois. He is one of the leading and prominent business men of the city, being especially interested in its banking institutions.
Mr. Black was born in Elgin, where the Baptist church is now located, April 18, 1855, and is a son of Lyman and Harriet (Weston) Black. His paternal grandfather, James Black, spent his entire life in Massachusetts. The father, Lyman Black, was born in Granville, that state, October 26,1815, and was the youngest in a family of eight children. In the spring of 1836 he came to Elgin, passing through Chicago, where he was offered the block on which the Palmer House now stands for a pair of boots he was carrying over his shoulder, but he declined the offer. On the present site of Elgin he engaged in farming for some time, but later in life devoted his time and attention to the banking business, being one of the organizers of the First National Bank, and also the Elgin City Banking Company, more familiarly known as the Savings Bank, and in both of these institutions he was a director and vice-president. He continued his connection with them until his death, which occurred May 15, 1889. He was a man of medium size, was quite domestic in his tastes, was pleasant and genial in his disposition, and was gifted with a fine memory, which was of great benefit not only to himself but to others who desired information concerning current matters. His wife was born in Utica, New York, December 16, 1823, and was the daughter of James and Margaret Weston, who, in 1846, came to Elgin, where Mr. and Mrs. Black were married June 27, 1847. She was a devoted member of the Baptist church, and died in that faith November 26, 1891. Of their five children three died in infancy, and Weston died at the age of eighteen years from the effects of a kick from a horse.
Our subject, the only one of the family now living, acquired his primary education in the public schools of Kane county, later graduated at the Elgin Academy, and in 1874 entered the Chicago University, where he was graduated with the class of 1878. For a year after leaving college he was employed in Chamberlain's clothing house, and then entered the office of the "Advocate" to learn the business. In 1886 he purchased a half interest in that journal and the "Daily News," the former of which was founded in 1848, the latter in 1873. The "Advocate," now the oldest paper in the county, is a seven-column quarto, and enjoys the largest circulation of any paper in the district. It is published on Saturdays. The "News" is the same size, and is also the oldest daily in the county. The office of these journals is equipped with modern machinery, including type-setting machines and Webb press, and in connection with the printing department there is also a bindery. Both papers are unwavering in their support of the Republican party and its principles, and are devoted to the interests of Elgin and Kane county. Mr. Black is a heavy stockholder in both the First National Bank and the City Savings Bank, in which he is a director and vice-president.
On the 4th of September, 1884, Mr. Black was united in marriage with Miss Etta D. Roe, who was born in Rolling Prairie, Indiana, May 4, 1864, a daughter of George W. and Marietta (Drummond) Roe, of Chicago. She is the second in order of birth in their family of four children, the others being Alta May; James, who was drowned at Rolling Prairie, Indiana, in 1883; and Clifford G. Mr. and Mrs. Black have two children: Lyman Foster, born March 16, 1887; and Mareta Vergine, born August 31, 1892. The family have a beautiful home at No. 237 Villa street, Elgin, which was erected by Mr. Black, and also have a cottage at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, where they spend the summer months.
Politically, Mr. Black is a Republican, and socially is an honored member of the Century Club, while his wife is an active and prominent member of the Coffee Club and the Every Wednesday Literary Club. Of high social qualities, they are very popular, having a most extensive circle of friends and acquaintances, and their home is the abode of hospitality and good cheer.
CHARLES P. DEANE, a well-known retired business man living in Elgin, was born in Worcester county, Massachusetts, April 4, 1813, a son of Cyrus and Nancy (Howe) Dean, also natives of that state, where they spent their entire lives, the father dying at the age of eighty-seven in the house where he learned his trade, and the mother at the age of eighty-five. Throughout life he worked on watches and clocks at the goldsmith's trade, and gave his entire time to his business affairs, taking no active part in public life. Both he and his wife were faithful members of the Congregational church, and were held in high esteem by all who knew them. Of their seven children only two are now living: Charles P.; and Nancy, wife of Charles Lyon, of Oak Park, Chicago.
The subject of this sketch was educated in the common schools of Massachusetts, and when his school days were over he went to New York, where he was employed at various occupations for a few years. For four years he engaged in the planing-mill business in Lewiston, Maine, and then returned to Massachusetts, assisting his brother George in the manufacturing business at Maiden for two years. Coming west in 1857, Mr. Deane located in Elgin and opened up and developed a good farm two miles northwest of the city, but now within the corporate limits. To agricultural pursuits he devoted his energies for six years, and then erected a store on Grove avenue,
Elgin, purchased a stock of goods, and began business as a merchant, being thus engaged until 1880, when he sold out, and has since lived retired.
On the 3d of July, 1841, Mr. Deane was united in marriage with Miss Mary P. Baldridge, who died April 21, 1851, aged twenty-seven years. To them were born three children, namely: Cyrus F., born November 13, 1842, was a member of the Army of the Southwest during the Civil war, and was mortally wounded at the battle of Stone River in 1862, dying at Nashville, January 15, 1863; Maria N. married Daniel W. Brown, also a Union soldier, who died in Elgin, and to them were born three children - Edna, Charles and Cyrus; she resides in Elgin. Charles H., the youngest of the family, died February 25, 1850, at the age of six years.
Mr. Deane was again married, March 24, 1853, his second union being with Miss Abbie M. Haskell, by whom he had four children: Mary A. is now a successful kindergarten teacher in Elgin; Ella J. is the wife of Joseph Mitchell, of Elgin, and has three children, Howard, Deane and Ethelyn; Lizzie A. died March 7, 1859, when only six months old; and Julia F. is a stenographer and type writer employed in an office in Chicago.
Politically Mr. Deane was originally a Whig, but since the dissolution of that party he has been a stanch Republican. For many years he was one of the active and progressive business men of the county, as well as one of its most reliable and honored citizens, and now in his declining years he is enjoying a well-earned rest, free from the cares and responsibilities of business life. Throughout Kane county he is widely and favorably known.
DAVID HILL, proprietor of the nursery near Dundee, has been a resident of Kane county since 1872. He was born in Hartfordshire, about thirty miles from London, England, January 17, 1849, and is the son of Henry and Martha (Grayes) Hill, both of whom were natives of the same shire. In his native land he grew to manhood, and had fair educational advantages. He commenced nursery work in Bedford, England, in early life, and worked there for some years. In 1871 he came to the United States, forming one of a party of three young men. Going to Boston he made application for work at the Young Men's Christian Association rooms, and on the advice of the secretary went to Woodstock, Windham county, Connecticut, where he secured work in the Spaulding's nursery and fruit farm, where he remained about one year. In 1872 he came west to Dundee, and went to work on a farm near that place for one winter. The next season he commenced work in the nursery then owned by William Hill, and continued with him until his death. He then succeeded to the business through his wife, who was a niece of William Hill, and came with him from Scotland when a child. At that time the place consisted of six acres, with but two in nursery stock. An incumbrance was on the place of two thousand dollars. Our subject went to work and put out more stock, and buying land from time to time is now the owner of one hundred and six acres, all of which is near, but not contiguous, to the old place. He has put out nursery stock until he has in all some eighty-five acres. He grows for the wholesale trade as well as retail. His specialties are hardy evergreens, shade, ornamental and forest trees, although he grows and deals in fruit trees and small fruit. His trade is mostly in the western states, and he has built up an extensive business, employing from seventy-five to one hundred men in packing and shipping in the busy season.
In June, 1878, Mr. Hill was united in marriage at Dundee, Illinois, with Miss Maggie Grant, a native of Aberdeen, Scotland, and a niece of William Hill, who came with him to the United States when a miss of twelve years. Her education, began in her native country, was completed in the schools of Kane county. By this union there are six living children - George W., Arthur H., Waudie, Mabel, Vernon and Florence. They lost one daughter, Marguerite, who died at the age of six months.
Politically Mr. Hill is a stanch Republican, his first Presidential vote being cast for James A. Garfield. Since becoming a resident of this country he has always manifested a commendable interest in its political affairs, though not in a strictly partisan sense. A friend of education and the public schools, he has given of his time to advance their interests as a member of the school board. Fraternally he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the blue lodge at Dundee, and the chapter at Elgin. With his estimable wife he holds membership in the Baptist church.
Mr. Hill has now been a resident of Illinois for twenty-nine years. His life affords an example to the young in that he commenced his life here without money or friends, but having a determination to succeed he industriously applied himself until he has acquired a good property and a large and fairly prosperous business. He is well known throughout Illinois and other western states for his sterling character and worth.
MERRITT HARGER, an honored and highly respected citizen of Elgin, is now retired from the active labors of life and occupies a comfortable home on Hendee avenue, overlooking the Fox river. He was born July 31, 1819, in Lewis county, New York, a son of Noah N. and Lucy (Gillette) Harger, who were both born and reared in Connecticut. The father was a carpenter and joiner, and also followed the occupation of farming. In 1855 he came with our subject to Kane county, Illinois, where he died April 11, 1863, his wife having previously passed away at their old home in New York, on the 20th of May, 1850. Both were consistent members of the Presbyterian church, and in politics he was first a Whig and later a Republican. Their children were Morgan and Mrs. Maria Arthur, both deceased; Madison, who died in Ohio; Mary, now the widow of Henry Ragan, and a resident of Syracuse, New York; Milton, deceased; Merritt, the subject of this sketch; and Lydia and Martha, both deceased. In the county of his nativity, Merritt Harger grew to manhood, obtaining his education in the district schools, and early becoming familiar with the duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist. There he continued to follow farming until 1855 when he came to Kane county, Illinois, and bought a small farm in Plato township, to the cultivation and improvement of which he devoted his energies for ten years.
Selling that place, he purchased four hundred and ten acres of slightly improved land in the southern part of the same township, which he placed under a high state of cultivation. He erected thereon good and substantial buildings and made many other useful improvements, which added to its value and attractive appearance, making it one of the best farms in the county. He was one of the first men in the community to engage in sheep raising to any great extent, but when wool became so cheap that it proved unprofitable he discontinued the business. He then directed his attention to dairying, and was one of the first to engage in the manufacture of cheese, which was then in demand. At one time he sold his cheese by the ton at twenty cents per pound. After residing upon his second farm for twenty-nine years, he decided to retire from active work, and removed to Elgin, where he has since made his home, enjoying the fruits of former toil.
In Lewis county, New York, Mr. Harger was married October 17, 1843, to Miss Mary E., daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Herin) Rogers, natives of the Empire state. Her paternal grandfather was born in Connecticut, and was one of the first settlers of Lewis county, New York. Soon after our subject came west, Mr. and Mrs. Rogers also came to Kane county and located in Elgin township, where he purchased and operated a large tract of land. Besides Mrs. Harger, their other children were Betsy Ann, Grange L. and Henry C., all deceased; and Nelson, John H. and Jane, still residents of Illinois. Mrs. Harger departed this life September 2, 1895. By her marriage to our subject she became the mother of one child, Lucy Maria, who was born December 21, 1864, and married James M. Buzzell, now deceased. She died September 22, 1884,leaving no children. Mr. Harger was again married, November 26, 1896, his second union being with Adella Kenyon, a daughter of Lafayette and and Mary (Winsor) Kenyon.
Mr. Harger cast his first presidential vote for William Henry Harrison in 1840, during one of the most exciting campaigns ever held in this country. His support is now given to the men and measures of the Republican party. He has sold his farm and has invested in real estate in Elgin, which is proving quite profitable. Mr. Harger is widely and favorably known throughout Kane county, and it is safe to say that no man in Elgin county has more or warmer friends.
HOWARD L. PRATT, M. D.
Among the well-known representatives of the medical profession in Elgin, whose reputation is not confined alone to the city in which he makes his home, but who is favorably known in several counties and in at least two states of the union, is the subject of this sketch. Born at Unionville, Lake county, Ohio, February 27, 1850, he is the son of George and Adaline S. (Torrey) Pratt, the former a native of Ohio, the latter of New York. They were the parents of five children, of whom three are now living: Howard Lewis, our subject; Mary E., wife of F. E. Miller, of Chicago; and Edith, wife of Frank McAllister, of Chicago.
George Pratt, the father, grew to manhood in his native state, and in youth learned the trade of a blacksmith, which trade he followed until his removal to Illinois in 1855. While yet residing in Ohio he married Adaline S. Torrey, a daughter of Ira Allen Torrey, a native of Vermont, and a hotel keeper for many years, who later emigrated to Neenah, Wisconsin, where his death occurred at the age of sixty-nine years. His wife traced her ancestry back to Tabitha Goodenough, her great-grandmother. Mrs. Torrey's father, who bore the name of Wallis, was a soldier of the war of 1812, and died while held a prisoner by the British in Canada.
On coming to Illinois with his family, in 1855, George Pratt located at Woodstock, McHenry county, where he followed his trade and engaged in farming for some years, besides being interested in the lumber business. He later removed to Chicago, where his wife died in January, 1895. She was a conscientious Christian woman, a member of the Baptist church for many years, and died in the faith of a resurrection beyond the grave and a re-union of loved ones. After her death her husband returned to Woodstock, where he is now working at his trade, although seventy-five years of age. He is yet hale and hearty.
Lewis Pratt, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Vermont, and was numbered among the pioneers of the "Western Reserve," settling in Ashtabula county, Ohio. His death occurred after a short illness while he was on a business trip to western Ohio, before he was forty years of age. His brother, Charles, built by contract the first government harbor at Ashtabula. His family consisted of three sons and four daughters who grew to mature years. By occupation he was a farmer, following that vocation during his entire life. His father, the great-grandfather of Dr. Pratt, was a Baptist minister in Vermont, and lived to the age of ninety-nine years and six months. He was a man of remarkable mental and physical activity. At the age of ninety he invited his grandson, Charles, Jr., who was visiting him, to go with him to the barn to see a favorite colt. On reaching the farmyard gate he placed his hands on the top bar and cleared it with a leap, saying, "Charles, you can't do that."
Howard Lewis Pratt was but five years old when he was brought by his parents to Illinois. His literary education was obtained in the public schools of Woodstock, McHenry county, and in Todd's Academy, now conducted as a seminary at that place. In 1874 he commenced reading medicine and the following year entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, an institution noted for the better class of its graduates, from which he received a diploma in 1878. Returning to Woodstock, he at once commenced practice with his preceptor in the city in which he was reared and where his manner of life was well known. Kansas, the great Sunflower state, was now having a boom and a large number of people were attracted there. Dr. Pratt was among the number, and in April, 1879, he took up his residence in Wellington, that state, where he resumed practice.
While in Wellington, on the 21st of October, 1880, Dr. Pratt married Miss Edith A. Smith, a daughter of Joel and Emaline L. (Brown) Smith, of Marengo, Illinois, the latter a native of Cortland, New York, and one of the early teachers in the public schools of Dundee, Illinois, and the former of Rutland, Vermont. Her father was a pioneer of DuPage county, Illinois, where he located in 1857. To Dr. and Mrs. Pratt two children were born-Ada A. and Alice M., who yet remain at home.
In October, 1883, Dr. Pratt removed with his family to Elgin and in the fifteen years that have since passed he has built up an extensive practice. His office is in his own home at No. 266 Chicago street. He is engaged in general practice. He was elected in 1897 president of the Fox River Valley Medical Association.
Dr. and Mrs. Pratt are members of the First Baptist church of Elgin. In the work of the church they both take a lively interest. Politically he is a Republican. Socially the family move in the best circles and are universally esteemed for their many excellent qualities of head and heart.
JOHN A. RUSSELL, a representative of the legal fraternity, with office in Cook block, Elgin, is a native of Kane county, Illinois, born in St. Charles, October 4, 1854. He is the son of John and Jeanette (Beith) Russell, natives of Scotland, and the parents of three children, the others being Wm. B., of Newhall, Iowa, and Hannah M., of Elgin. John Russell, the father, was a stone mason by trade, and on coming to America located at St. Charles, where he died in 1857, while still a young man. His wife died the previous year. Both were members of the Congregational church.
Both the paternal and maternal grandfathers of our subject were of Scotch birth. The former, the father of four sons, died in his native land at an advanced age. The latter, Robert Beith, came to America with his wife, Barbara, in company with Mr. and Mrs. Russell, and also located at St. Charles, where he died at the age of about seventy years: His wife lived to be ninety. Robert Beith was in comfortable circumstances financially and lived a retired life in St. Charles.
John A. Russell was but two years of age when his mother died, and only three years old when his father passed away, so that he never knew the great love of father or mother. When five years old he was taken from his native town and for five or six years was in Minnesota and Iowa. Returning to Kane county, he attended Elgin Academy for a time, and then read law in the office of Botsford & Barry. After completing his studies he passed a successful examination at Springfield and was admitted to the bar January 3, 1879. Opening an office in Elgin he has since continued to practice there with good success.
Mr. Russell was married December 24, 1888, to Miss Clara Mair, of Batavia, Illinois, daughter of James Mair, a well-known resident of that place. Two children have come to bless this union: Marion and Marjorie. In her religious views Mrs. Russell is a Methodist, holding membership in the church of that denomination in Elgin.
Fraternally Mr. Russell is a member of Monitor lodge, No. 522 A. F. & A. M.; Loyal L. Munn chapter, No. 96, R. A. M.; Bethel commandery, No. 36, K. T., all of Elgin, and Medina Temple of the Scottish Rite, Chicago. Politically he is an enthusiastic Republican, and in the welfare of his party takes great interest. He has been a member of the county central committee four years; chairman of the senatorial committee of the fourteenth senatorial district two years; and was also secretary of the State League of Republican clubs two years, preceding the campaign of 1896. For some years he has done more or less campaign work, taking the stump in Kane and adjoining counties. A fluent speaker, he has done much to keep his native county in line with the Republican party.
It is as an attorney, however, that Mr. Russell is best known, the one profession in which he takes great delight. His ability in this calling is unquestioned and success has crowned his efforts. In addition to his private practice he served three years as city attorney of Elgin, and four years as state's attorney of Kane county. Law breakers had reason to fear him as a prosecutor.
While confining himself principally to his legal business Mr. Russell has always felt an interest in the manufacturing institutions and other industries of the county. He is now serving as secretary of the W. H. Howell Company, of Geneva, that manufactures six tons of sad irons per day in connection with a machine shop where many other articles of usefulness are manufactured.
An almost life-long resident of the county, Mr. Russell has an extended acquaintance in all parts, and this acquaintance is not confined to Kane county, but extends throughout the state, his position as secretary of the Republican League bringing him in contact with many of the oldest and best men in the state. His pleasant manners and good conversational powers make him friends wherever he goes.
WILLIAM HENRY GOETTING, proprietor of the Elgin Steam Laundry at 115-117 Division street, has for fifteen years been a resident of Elgin. Throughout his career of continued and far-reaching usefulness his duties have been performed with the greatest care, and his business interests have been so managed as to win him the confidence of the public and the prosperity which should always attend honorable effort.
Mr. Goetting was born in Schaumberg, Cook county, Illinois, October 9, 1859, and is a son of Charles and Dorothea (Kraegel) Goetting, in whose family were five children, but only two are now living, the other being Matilda, widow of Jacob Theobold. The father, who was a brick and stone mason and a plasterer by trade, came to America, from Germany in 1863 and first located in Addison township, Du Page county, Illinois, but later took up his residence in Cook county, where he died in 1888, at the age of eighty-two years. His wife had passed away some years previous, dying in 1873, at the age of fifty. Both held membership in the Lutheran Church, and were widely and favorably known. The paternal grandfather of our subject was a laboring man and while serving in the German army was killed by a French soldier. He had only one son. Dietrich Kraegel, the maternal grandfather, also served for some time in the German army, but later came to America, and his death occurred in Du Page county, Illinois, when in his eightieth year. By trade he was a tailor. In his family were six children.
The subject of this sketch was reared in much the usual manner of farmer boys and in the public schools of Cook county obtained his education. During his youth he first worked on a farm, then he learned the carpenter's trade and also learned to operate a stationary engine. On coming to Elgin in 1882 he worked at his trade of carpenter for three years, and for the same length of time was employed in the Elgin Steam Laundry. At the end of that time he purchased the plant and business, which he has since successfully conducted. He gives employment to from twenty to twenty-five persons, and the work turned out is exceptionally fine.
On the 26th of June, 1886, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Goetting and Miss Mary Borchert, a daughter of Gottlieb and Elizabeth (Springer) Borchert. Three children were born to them - Charles G., Bertha A., and Ida E., but the first two named are now deceased. The parents are prominent members of the St. Paul's Evangelical Church, and Mr. Goetting is now serving as church treasurer. He belongs to St. Paul's Benefit Society, and the Columbian Knights, and politically is identified with the Republican party. He resides at 216 Dexter avenue, where he has a pleasant home, and there the many friends of the family are always sure of a hearty welcome. As a business man he is enterprising and progressive, and as a citizen he meets every requirement.
JACOB PHILIP LONG, deceased, was born in Hamburg, Germany, in the valley of the Rhine, March 6, 1825, and died at his home in Elgin, on the 20th of September, 1896. His life span therefore covered the Psalmist's span of three score years and ten, and the record which he made during that period was one characterized by business ability and well-merited successes, by honorable dealing and by the regard which is ever accorded genuine worth.
Mr. Long was a son of Jacob and Katharine (Younge) Lange, also natives of Germany, and it is only by the American representatives of the family that the name is spelled "Long." The father of our subject was a wagon-maker and spent his entire life in the country of his nativity. His wife was a daughter of a wealthy distiller of the province of Hessen, who was the owner of a large farm and much real estate, and who was also a soldier under Napoleon.
Mr. Long, of this review, learned the trade of wagon making under the direction of his father, and that of distilling with his maternal grandfather. After his mother's death he entered the German army in which he served for four years. Upon his return home he found that his father had married again and being much displeased with this state of affairs he resolved to come to America. Accordingly he made all preparations to leave his native land and sailed from Havre to New York, whence he made his way to Chicago and then to Elgin. Here he worked at the wagon-maker's trade as a journeyman for a time, and then embarked in business on his own account. His first factory, established on Milwaukee and River streets, was destroyed by fire, and he then removed to a temporary shop on River street, in which he carried on business until the completion of a fine two-story brick shop and factory, which was erected at No. 112 Division street, in 1879. There he carried on business until his death. He did a large repairing trade and built up an extensive business in the manufacture of all kinds of vehicles, which on account of the excellence of the workmanship found a ready sale on the market. The enterprise which he conducted therefore proved a profitable one and enabled him to surround his family not only with the necessities, but also many of the luxuries, of life.
Mr. Long was married in Cook county, Illinois, about ten miles east of Elgin, to Miss Caroline Wilhausen, who was born in Kur Hessen, Germany, and came to America when fourteen years of age with her parents, Frederick and Caroline Wilhausen. Her father owned a small farm in Kur Hessen, but disposed of that property in 1847, and with his family sailed from Bremen to New York. He then made his way to Chicago, where he resided for two months, while seeking a desirable farm. Finally he purchased land near Schaumberg, Cook county, where he continued to make his home until his death, about 1853. To Mr. and Mrs. Long were born six children, but three died in infancy. Those still living are Julia, wife of August Schwemin, a machinist of Chicago; Anna, who is residing with her mother; and Herman Frederick, who carries on the business left by his father. He learned the blacksmith's trade in his father's shop, also wagon making and carriage painting, and now displays marked ability in his conduct of the industry. He was born in Elgin, May 16, 1872, was educated in the public schools and Drew's Business College, and when twenty years of age put aside his text books to take up the practical duties of business life. Like his father, he is a Democrat, and is a progressive, wide-awake young business man, and a popular citizen.
Jacob P. Long was a valued member of the Independent Order of Odd. Fellows, and a consistent member of St. John's Evangelical church. He found his greatest enjoyment in his home amid his family, but was not without a large circle of warm friends. He was large-hearted, generous and kindly, possessed a jovial disposition, was true to every trust reposed in him, and possessed such sterling characteristics that the highest regard was ever his.
EDGAR E. HOXIE, a locomotive engineer on the Chicago & Northwestern railroad, now residing at No. 320 Center street, Elgin, is one of the valued citizens of that place, and is a representative of one of the old and respected families of Kane county. He was born in Dundee, October 18, 1845, a son of George W. and Fidelia (Aldrich) Hoxie, who were natives of Massachusetts, and were married just across the line
in Pownall, Vermont. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, came to Illinois in 1836 and purchased land in Kane county, after which he returned to the east and was married in that year or the year following. He then brought his bride to his new home in the wilderness, erecting a log house, in which they began their domestic life. The farm, comprising one hundred and sixty acres of wild land, purchased of Mr. Dewesse, was soon placed under a high state of cultivation, but in the meantime the family endured all the hardships and privations incident to life on the frontier. At that time Chicago was a mere hamlet, and the land on which the court house is now located could be bought for ten shillings per acre. The father took no active part in public affairs aside from serving as school director in his district, which office was very important in those pioneer days. He died in 1889 at the age of seventy-six years, his wife a year later at the age of eighty-one. Both were earnest members of the Baptist church, with which he was officially connected. Reared to habits of industry and economy, they were always hard working people, and were thus well equipped for frontier life.
In the family of this worthy couple were five children, namely: Emily, who died of cerebro-spinal meningitis when past the age of thirty years; Homer, a resident of Dundee, and foreman of the condensing factory in Carpentersville; Jane, wife of Jerome Irick, of Dundee; Edgar E., of this sketch; and Charles A., station agent at Dundee for the Chicago & Northwestern railroad.
Upon the home farm at Dundee Edward E. Hoxie was reared until fifteen years of age, and then learned the trade of sash and blind making, which he followed at that place, in Elgin and in Chicago for sixteen years. He then entered the service of the Chicago & Northwestern railroad as fireman, and after being thus employed for four years, he was promoted engineer in 1881, completing his seventeenth year in that capacity in July, 1898. During the twenty-one years he has been with the company, he has never been reprimanded or had any unpleasant relations with them, which fact speaks volumes as to the faithful manner in which he has labored for their interests. He has never met with any serious accident, never had but one collision, which was not his fault, but the fault of the pay car, which ran into him; twice his engine has left the tracks, but no serious accident has happened to himself.
During the early part of the Civil war Mr. Hoxie enlisted for three months, in a call to guard prisoners from Fort Donelson and Shiloh, and after serving for four months, he returned home. In 1863 he enlisted in Company B, Sixty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as corporal, and afterward re-enlisted in Company I, Fifty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the Atlanta campaign, when the Union troops were almost constantly under fire for ninety days, and he was with Sherman on his celebrated march to the sea, walking the entire distance. He was under the command of General Corse, who, after General Sherman signaled him to hold the fort at Altoona Pass, sent back the reply: "I am short a cheek bone and an ear, but able to whip the Rebs and all hell yet." It will be remembered that Altoona Pass is in the vicinity of the town of Altoona, in northwestern Georgia. Here, on the 5th of October, 1864, occurred the battle made memorable by the gallant defense of Altoona by General John M. Corse, of the Federal army. General Sherman was occupying Atlanta, having garrisoned Altoona as his second base; this point the Confederates determined to capture, and General S. G. French, under General Hood, was commissioned to accomplish the work. Sherman being informed of these designs, signaled from Kenesaw Mountain to General Corse, stationed at Rome, to move with the utmost speed to Altoona and "hold the fort" against all opposition until he himself could arrive with aid. Here General Corse, with scarcely two thousand men, maintained the defense from nine in the morning until three in the afternoon against a large force of Confederate soldiers. At three General French sounded a retreat, and Altoona was saved. The proudest day of Mr. Hoxie's life was when he participated in the grand review at Washington, District of Columbia, at the close of the war. Fortunately, during the entire service he was never wounded or taken prisoner, and when the war was over he was honorably discharged in Chicago, in July, 1865.
On the 3d of February, 1869, Mr. Hoxie was united in marriage with Miss Lucy Lown, daughter of George and Fanny Lown, who were from Dutchess county, New York, her father's farm bordering on the Hudson river in the town of Rhinebeck. Two children blessed this union: Maud, who was born December 18, 1870, and died March 20, 1883; and Mabel, who is attending school in Elgin.
Fraternally, Mr. Hoxie is an honored member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, the Masonic order, and the Grand Army of the Republic. His political support is always given the men and measures of the Republican party, and he takes quite an active interest in local affairs. As a citizen he commands the respect and esteem of all who know him, and has a host of friends throughout his native county.
JOHN A. LOGAN, whose name is inseparably connected with the political history of Elgin, served his fellow citizens as United States deputy marshal for four years and as alderman from the seventh ward of Elgin. He was born in that city August 9, 1861, a son of John and Julia (Murphy) Logan, who were born, reared and married in County Cork, Ireland. On coming to the United States during the '50s they located in Elgin, Illinois, where the father died about the close of the Civil war. On his emigration to America he was accompanied by his father, Owen Logan, who, with his family settled in Elgin. In politics the father of our subject was a Democrat, and in religious belief was a Catholic, to which church his wife also belonged. She is now deceased. Their children were Mary, Nellie, Julia, Margaret, Thomas, John A. (1st), John A. (our subject), and Margaret (2d), all deceased with the exception of Thomas, a resident of Elgin, and our subject.
Reared in Elgin, John A. Logan, of this review, acquired his education in the public schools. On starting out in life for himself he first worked in a brickyard, later was employed in a butter factory for two years, and in a cheese box factory for about four years. He then entered the service of the Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, remaining with that company for about ten years, or until 1889, when he established a saloon in Elgin and successfully conducted the same for two years. In 1888 he was appointed deputy sheriff of Kane county under William H. Reed, and served in that capacity for four years. Since 1894 he served as United States deputy marshal, and most ably and satisfactorily discharged the duties of that office.
Mr. Logan was married in 1881, to Miss Mary A. Althen, a native of Sycamore, DeKalb county, Illinois, and a daughter of Casper and Louise (Miller) Althen, natives of Germany. Two children bless this union, namely: Margaret and John.
The Democratic party has always found in Mr. Logan a stanch supporter of its principles, and he is a recognized leader in local political affairs, being the present chairman of the Democratic committee of Elgin and a member of the senatorial committee. He has also been a delegate to many county, senatorial, congressional and state conventions, and is active and influential in the councils of his party. In 1886 he was first elected alderman from his ward for the, short term, and at the two succeeding elections was re-elected, serving continuously until 1891. In 1894 was again elected to the same position, and two years later was re-elected, being the present incumbent, chairman of the railroad committee, and a member of the street lighting, fire and health committees. Socially he is a member of Lochiel lodge, K. P., of Elgin, and is also a Mason, belonging to the blue lodge of Elgin, and the Medina Temple and Oriential Consistory of Chicago.
John B. Moore
JOHN B. MOORE
Among the many who came to the grand prairie state in pioneer days, and who have been instrumental in making it take the highest rank among its sister states of the Union, is the man whose name heads this sketch, who dates his residence in Illinois since September 27, 1844. A native of New York, he was born at College Hill, Oneida county, July 26, 1815, and is the son of Shubel and Betsy (Watson) Moore, natives of New England, but who were among the pioneers of Oneida county, New York. The Moores are of Scottish descent. The family on leaving that country located for a time in Ireland and then came to the United States, first settling in Connecticut. Thomas Moore was a drover and furnished beef to the army during the Revolutionary war.
Shubel Moore grew to manhood in Connecticut, and was twice married, having five children by his first union. His second wife was Betsy Watson, the mother of our subject. She was born in Massachusetts, and was the daughter of Alexander Watson, a native of Middlesex county, that state, and a soldier of the Revolutionary war, who entered the service in July, 1776, when a lad of sixteen years. He participated in many important engagements during the struggle for independence. In 1793, he removed with his family to Herkimer county, New York, cleared off the timber, opened up a farm, and there spent the remainder of his life, dying April 6, 1840. His wife, Persis Watson, survived him some months, dying June 2, 1841.
Shubel Moore moved to Oneida county, New York, at a very early day, locating on College Hill, where he purchased a partially improved place, which he converted into one of the best farms in that locality. He there died in 1820, when but forty-nine years old. His widow survived him many years, dying on the old homestead December 18, 1859. After her husband's death, she managed the farm and reared her family, doing by them as well as her means and opportunities afforded. She was a woman of good business ability, and it can be said of her as of one of old "she did what she could." On the death of her husband, there was quite an indebtedness on the place, which, with the aid of her sons, she in due time paid off, and later built a good, substantial residence. By his first wife Shubel Moore had four sons, Hiram, Miles, Ira and Frederick, and one daughter, Matilda. By his second wife he had ten children: Persis, Caroline, Keziah, Maria, Thomas, John B., Bright Alexander, Shubel, and two, Cornelia and Eliza, who died in infancy. Of this number, John B. and Shubel are the only survivors, Shubel residing in Utica, New York.
Mrs. John Moore
John B. Moore was but five years of age when his father died. He remained under the parental roof until attaining his seventeenth year, assisting in the cultivation of the home farm. He then commenced to learn the carpenter's trade, which occupation he followed for a number of years. While yet residing in New York, on the 12th of March, 1839, he was united in marriage with Miss Sophia Todd, born at College Hill, May 6, 1819. By this union were one son, and one daughter. Albert B., the son enlisted in 1862 in the Ninety-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was taken prisoner by the raider, Morgan, and was afterwards exchanged. He is now a farmer, residing in Jackson county, Kansas: The daughter, Adelaide, is now the wife of Andrew Schofield, of Los Angeles, California.
In 1844, Mr. Moore came to Illinois, by way of the Erie canal to Buffalo, and by the great lakes to Chicago. Moving on west, he settled in Grundy county and there entered one hundred and forty acres of land, which he commenced to improve. Being without capital, for a time he engaged in contracting and building to pay for the land, and make other necessary improvements. He continued to do more or less contracting and building for several years. As his means increased he bought more land, and at one time owned one thousand acres, comprising the farm on which he lived. In the early days he hauled his wheat and other grain to Chicago, the trip requiring two days each way. At night he slept under the wagon when the weather was not too severe. His wheat brought at different times from forty-eight cents to ninety-five cents per bushel. His trips to Chicago were with a wagon and two yoke of oxen, and he usually hauled fifty-two bushels at a time.
While residing in Grundy county, Mrs. Sophia Moore died November 25, 1851. She had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church since reaching the age of thirteen years. On the 25th of April, 1852, Mr. Moore .was united in marriage with Miss Lucy Sterling, a native of Michigan, born May 31, 1831. She is the daughter of Samuel and Cornelia (Lathrop) Sterling, natives of Connecticut, but who were married in New York, removed from thence to Michigan, and in 1834, to Kane county, Illinois. They located at Geneva, where Mr. Sterling bought a farm, and built the first hotel in the place. He also built the first dam and erected the first mill in Geneva. Mrs. Sterling was the first teacher in the place. After residing in the village for some years, Mr. Sterling removed to his farm, which is now owned and occupied by our subject, and there built a substantial stone residence.
The last years of his life were spent on that farm, although his death occurred in Grundy county, at the residence of Mr. Moore, August 30, 1871, at the age of seventy-nine years.
To Mr. and Mrs. Moore, nine children have been born, as follows: Sterling, who died in infancy; George, who died at the age of twelve years; Shubel, a stockman, married, and residing in Jackson county, Kansas: Arabella, wife of Heiko Felkamp, of Great Bend, Kansas; Frederick, a farmer residing near Great Bend, Kansas; Mrs. Maria Fellows, residing in Jackson county, Kansas; Delia, wife of John Strader, a druggist of Geneva, Illinois; Emery T., a farmer of St. Charles township; and John, who resides on the old homestead.
After the death of Mr. Sterling, his homestead was put up at auction, and was purchased by Mr. Moore. It then comprised one hundred and eighty-seven acres, to which Mr. Moore subsequently added three adjoining farms, making one of about seven hundred acres. For some years he engaged in its active management, but is now practically retired. He was one of the prime movers in the establishment of the factory at Geneva, and also the one at St. Charles. He later purchased the Geneva factory, but soon made it co-operative. It is now controlled by a stock company. In every enterprise calculated to advance the material interest of his adopted city and county, Mr. Moore has ever done his part.
Politically, Mr. Moore is a life-long Democrat, being reared in the faith. He cast his first presidential ballot for Martin Van Buren, and has never since missed a presidential election and has always voted for the Democratic nominee. While residing in Grundy county he served for a time as chairman of the Democratic central committee. By his fellow citizens he was there elected to various local offices, including that of county commissioner. Since coming to Kane county he has steadily refused official position, preferring to give his undivided time and attention to his extensive business interests. While not a member, he and his wife attend the Baptist church and contribute to its support. Mr. Moore is well-known throughout Kane and adjoining counties, and by all who know him he is held in the highest esteem.
BACK TO BIOGRAPHY INDEX
Return to the Main Index Page for Kane County