Kane County Biographies
Surnames starting with "B"
From the Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of
Kane County, Edited by John S. Wilcox, 1904
©2001 Transcribed by Kimberly Torp
Note: These obits were actually written c. 1903
The biographies are in alphabetical order - just scroll down to the name you want.
CHARLES H. BACKUS, banker, Hampshire, Ill,; born at Chaplin, Conn.. June 9, 1856; came west in March, 1879,
locating first at Marengo, Ill., and removed to Hampshire, Ill., In April, 1882, and established what is known
as the Kane County Bank, of which he has been the owner since 1885; also has an interest in the mercantile establishment
of Backus & Sisley, and in the firm of Backus & Sholes, manufacturers of brick and tile; elected member
of the State Legislature in 1900, and again in 1902; married Jan. 1, 1884, Miss Emma L. Sisley, and they have one
son, Charles S.
JAMES C. BAIRD (deceased), banker and man of affairs, St. Charles, Ill.; born in Cayuga, County, N. Y., son
of William and Annie (Brown) Baird; same with his parents to St. Charles In 1836, and became the first banker in
that village, as well as one of the leading men in the development of Kane County. Mr. Baird died August 21, 1884.
LEWIS A. BAKER, manufacturer, Elgin, Ill.; born at Ithaca, N. Y., Nov. 28, 1852, son of Joseph and Sarah (Nickerson)
Baker; in 1857 he came west with his parents, who established their home in Michigan and lived on a farm in that
State until 1866, when they re moved to Kane County. In 1887 Lewis A. Baker removed to Elgin and established a
machine shop in that city; later he purchased the Jackson Foundry and consolidated it with his former business;
organized the Elgin Manufacturing Company, of which he has since been President and general manager. He was married
in 1873 to Miss Frances Saltmarsh, of Ithaca, N. Y.
JOHN M. BALDWIN, retired farmer, St. Charles, Ill., was born at St. Charles, Dec. 13, 1858, son of James C. and
Harriet (Blanchard) Baldwin, and was reared and educated in his birth-place. He began farming in 1876 on the J.
B. Blanchard farm, belonging to the estate of his grandfather, and here he remained until 1884, when after an absence
of three years in
1887 he returned to the farm, which continued to be his home until 1891. The latter year he removed to St. Charles,
and engaged in live stock business, but two years later again returned to the old farm, which he finally bought
from his mother, and of which she had been the owner since 1873. This he now rents to tenants, living on the farm
retired from active work. His retirement dates from 1898. Mr. Baldwin is a Republican and has served as Highway
Commissioner of St. Charles Township; fraternally he belongs to the I. 0. 0. F. He was married Nov. 1, 1900, to
Miss M. A. Hendricks, daughter of Adolph Hendricks, of Elgin.
JOHN P. BARCKLEY, merchant, Batavia, Ill.; born in the city where he now resides, August 23, 1855; son of James
and Mary (Paul) Barckley; educated in the schools of Batavia and Elgin, and later learned the machinist's trade,
which he followed for twenty-five years; was one of the organizers of the Batavia Hardware Company In 1898, and
be came sole proprietor of the business In 1901. He was married in 1877 to Miss Minnie Bartholomew, of Batavia.
LAWRENCE P. BARKER (deceased), Batavia, was born in DeRuyter, N. Y., July 29, 1811, and was reared anti educated
in his native State, until 1845 being engaged in agricultural labors. That year he moved to Illinois, settling
in Batavia, where for a time he was engaged in the cooperage business. About 1852 he and J. C. Derby opened stone
quarries near Batavia, the first product of their quarries being used In the construction of what was known as
the Great Western Railway bridge at St. Charles, Ill. Mr. Barker and Mr. Derby were associated together in extensive
quarrying operations until the death of Mr. Derby in 1864. The firm of Mallory, Derby and Barker built all the
stone work for the bridges on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway between Aurora and Chicago. Mr. Barker
later became widely known as a leading railroad builder of the West. He retired from business in 1882. Meanwhile,
he had become largely interested in land in Kane County, and these interests occupied a very considerable share
of his attention. Before the Civil War he was Sheriff of Kane County, and from time to time has filled various
local offices. In 1845 he married Miss Mary Gowdy, who was born and reared in New York. She died in 1894. Mr. Barker
died June 24, 1903, aged nearly ninety-two years.
JABEZ BARKER, retired farmer, Elburn, Ill.; born in Bristol County, Mass., March 27, 1818; educated in the public
schools of the Bay State, and came to Kane County, Ill., in 1843; afterwards spent some time in California and
his native State, but located permanently in Kane County about 1850, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits
until 1898, when he retired. Mr. Barker was married May 19, 1840, to Sarah White, who died Nov. 25. 1902.
WILLIAM P. BARKER, Batavia. Ill., born in the city of his residence, July 7, 1850, a son of Lawrence P. and Mary
(Gowdy) Barker, both of whom were natives of New York. He was educated in the East Batavia public school, and when
sixteen years of age, began with his father in tile stone quarrying and contracting business, becoming a partner
in 1870. Since his father's retirement Mr. Barker has continued in business devoting his attention to the lumber
and coal trade, and the care of his extensive real-estate investments and farm property, also retaining his interest
in the quarrying business. He has served as a member of the Batavia Board of Aldermen and Board of Education. In
1875 he married Miss Helen Brown, daughter of Mrs. Sarah M. Brown, of Batavia.
HARRY D. BARNES, manufacturer, Elgin, Ill., was born in Bloomingdale. DuPage County, Ill., Nov. 29, 1863, a son
of George W. and Susan (Dudley) Barnes, received his education in the home schools and in Elgin Academy, remaining
on his father's farm until he was twenty years. In 1881 he moved to Elgin, which has since been his home. During
the summer of 1882 he worked for the Elgin Lumber Company, and the following year was in the employ of the grocery
firm of A. M. Stewart. In 1884 he entered the shop of the Elgin Packing Company, and here his Promotion was rapid.
In May, 1890, upon the resignation of Mr. F. L. McClure, he was made Assistant Manager, and when Mr. E. K. W. Cornell
resigned, in January, 1899, he was elected Manager. In 1902 he was elected Secretary of the corporation and is
now (1901) holding both positions. The Elgin Packing Company is regarded as one of the best paying concerns in
Elgin, and has about doubled its output in the last five years. Mr. Barnes owns a farm west of Elgin of 145 acres,
and now has a controlling interest in the Elgin Packing Company. He was married June 28, 1898, to Miss Ida Merrifield,
daughter of Oscar C. Merrifield , of Ottawa, Ill. He served on the Elgin School Board from 1894 to 1900.
WILLIAM B. BARNES, retired machinist, Aurora, Ill. born in Vermont, Nov. 20, 1832; grew to manhood in his native
State, and came to Aurora, Ill. in 1853; employed in the shops of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad
from 1864 to 1897, being foreman of the locomotive department most of the time. Mr. Barnes was married in 1858
to Mary E. Crance, of Aurora.
CHARLES HOPKINS BARRETT, retired farmer, La Fox, Kane County; born Oct. 16, 1849, at Lenox, Mass., son of Sylvester
and Caroline (Hicks) Barrett, and removed in infancy to Brainard, N. Y., where he began his schooling in a private
school. When seven years old he was taken by his parents to Geneva, Ill., where he completed his education in the
public schools. His first employment was found on a farm, and farming has been his life-work.
SYLVESTER BARRETT (deceased), La Fox, Kane County, mason and builder was born in Lenox, Mass., in 1800 and was
all his life a mason contractor and builder. Before coming west he served as Selectman in his native place. After
his arrival in Kane County, he furnished the stone for the County Court House; also furnished the stone for the
first school house in Geneva, and was in great demand both as a stone mason and a dealer in stone throughout this
section. Many of the abutments in the highway bridges were constructed by him, and his work was pronounced of the
most enduring character. He married Caroline Adelia Hicks, a native of New York, who died in January, 1898. His
death occurred in April, 1896.
WILLIAM H. BARRETT (deceased), Aurora, born, in London, England, Aug. 13, 1831, and when a year and a half old
was brought by his parents to this country, was reared and educated in Detroit, Mich., and became a blacksmith;
in 1863 came to Aurora from Detroit, and entered the employ of the Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad Co.,
where with brief exceptions, he remained until near his death, Jan. 30, 1903. He spent a short time in Canada,
and about a year at Atchison, Kan., in charge of the railway shops there. He was widely known as a Mason, having
taken all the degrees up to and including the thirty-second. For nearly twenty-eight years he was Tyler for Lodge
No. 254. His funeral services were attended by many hundreds, attesting their belief in his worth as a man and
a Mason. In 1859 he married Mrs. Amarett Rosier, of Aurora. Mrs. Barrett was born in Erie County, Pennsylvania,
by birth a Selby, and she survives her husband, living in Aurora. To Mr. and Mrs. Barrett were born children named
Emma W. and Sadie I. of Aurora. George A. Rosier of Cecil, Penn., Mrs. Fannie Rees and Mrs. Mary E. Wright, of
Aurora, are Mrs. Barrett's children by her first marriage.
BISHOP BARTHOLOMEW (deceased), pioneer farmer, Batavia, Ill.; born at Whitehall, Washington County, N. Y., in 1817
came to Chicago in 1837; settled at Naperville, DuPage County, and there married Elmira Jones, daughter of Z. Jones,
one of the first settlers of that county; purchased a farm three miles north of Naperville where he lived until
1881, when he retired and removed to Batavia. He died Oct. 15, 1901. His first wife died in 1848, and in 1850 he
married Miss Asenath McFerran of Vermont.
Darius BARTHOLOMEW retired farmer, Batavia, Ill., born near Naperville, Ill., Feb. 14, 1844, son of Bishop and
Emma ( Jones) Bartholomew; in 1862 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry,
and was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee. During his service he participated in the battles of Resaca, Lookout
Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, and in all the engagements of the Atlanta Campaign. After the close of the war he returned
to DuPage County, where he was engaged in farming until 1895 when he removed to Batavia. He was married in 1870
to Miss Annie E. Lehman, of DuPage County.
HENRY B. BARTHOLOMEW (deceased), merchant, Batavia, Ill.; born in Naperville, DuPage County, Ill., Dec. 6, 1852;
reared in DuPage County and educated at Warrenville Academy and Northwestern College (Naperville); began his business
career at Batavia in 1880 in the lumber trade; later embarked in the coal business, but eventually combined the
two and added a stock of agricultural implements, carriages and wagons; served as Mayor of Batavia besides holding
other local offices. He was married in 1879 to Miss Ida J. Vaughn. Mr. Bartholomew died suddenly in Batavia, Oct.
LUCIUS BARTHOLOMEW, farmer, Batavia, Kane County, Ill., was born at Whitehall, N. Y., Oct. 29, 1825, son
of Thomas Bartholomew; grew to manhood in New York State, and in 1819 came to Illinois, locating near what was
known as the Big Woods, in DuPage County, where he was engaged in farming until 1873, when he removed to Batavia,
residing at the latter place until the time of his death, which occurred Jan 26, 1896. Mr. Bartholomew was a deacon
in the Baptist church for over forty years. He was married in 1846 to Miss Mary Graves, daughter of Phineas Graves,
who settled in Will County, Ill., in 1833, removed to DuPage County three years later, and died in Kane County
ABNER R. BARTLETT (deceased), Aurora, physician, and in his earlier life a clergyman, was born in New Hartford,
N. Y., in 1812, and was reared in his native state. While a scholarly man, his education was largely self-acquired,
and he brought to the study of theology a mind trained by self-culture, to close thinking and reasoning. The celebrated
pulpit orator of the Universalist church, Dr. E. H. Chapin,. was his classmate, and he entered the Universalist
ministry under favorable auspices. Dr. Bartlett had pastorates at Poughkeepsie N. Y., Bath, Me., and at various
other points. In 1847 he made his first visit to Illinois, and three years later removed his family to Waukegan,
where he organized a church. In the meantime he had begun the study of medicine, and after attending lectures at
the Homeopathic College at Cleveland, Ohio, he removed to Aurora in 1852, and began the practice of his profession.
In medicine he proved very successful and continued in practice until his death, Dec. 26, 1880. As a pioneer practitioner
of homeopathy in the West, he did much to establish that school of medicine in the confidence of the public. He
was identified with medical education as Professor of Physiology in the Cleveland school, which he held for one
year, and later in the chair of Physiology in the Homeopathic Medical College of Missouri, at St. Louis. His wife,
born Esther Gage, was a native of Litchfield, N. Y.
DR. FREDERICK L. BARTLETT, physician, son of the preceding, was born in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., Dec. 16, 1843, and
was nine years old when the family came to Aurora, where he received the greatest part of his academic education.
At first he read law with the famous firm of Wagner & Canfield, of Aurora, and in 1866 graduated from the Law
Department of the University of Michigan, but two years later was a graduate of the Homeopathic Medical College
of Missouri, at St. Louis, very soon becoming a practitioner of medicine in Aurora in association with his father.
Rapidly attaining prominence in his profession, he was speedily recognized as a leading exponent of homeopathy
up to the time of his retirement from professional life in 1899. He was elected Mayor of Aurora in 1877, and for
many years was a member of the Board of Education, long serving as its President. In the establishment of the Aurora
Free Public Library, Dr. Bartlet played an important part. A prominent Republican he has taken an important part
in political affairs and has been intimately associated with many of the leading men of Northern Illinois. Dr.
Bartlett was married in 1879 to Miss Arvilla A. Carter, of Aurora, and their son, Frederick A. Bartlett, physician,
was born in Aurora Ill., June 26, 1876 was educated in the Aurora schools, graduating from the West Aurora high
school in 1894, and three years later from the Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago. He began practice immediately
with his father, and Dr. C. E. Colwell, who had been associated with the latter for some years. The younger Dr.
Bartlett and Dr. Colwell are still associated in the practice of their profession, Dr. Frederick L. Bartlett being
retired. Dr. F. A. Bartlett still retains the old office so long occupied by his father and his grandfather.
JOHN E. BARTLETT (deceased), farmer, Campton Township, Kane County, was born Sept. 15, 1850, in Campton Township.
and received his education from the district schools of his native town. He worked on the farm with his parents
until his marriage, March 4, 1873. He bought a farm in 1875, two miles northeast of Elburn, and died Nov. 17, 1889,
leaving a widow and five sons. Mrs. Bartlett's maiden name was Elsie Richmond, and her parents were Almon and Hannah
JOSEPH P. BARTLETT (deceased), farmer and school teacher, was born Jan. 1 6, 1810, at Campton, Grafton County,
N. H., and came to Illinois in 1843. For five years he made his home in Winnebago County, and then bought Government
land in Kane County, where he lived until his death. He was married Dec. 31, 1843, to Miss Julia Ann, daughter
of Ephraim and Mary (Robie) Elliott. By this marriage he became the father of five children - two daughters and
three sons. He died in March 1893, his wife having passed away March 22, 1876.
L. EDWIN BARTLETT, farmer, Elburn, Kane County, born Sept. 15, 1850, on the farm where he now lives, two and a
half miles northeast of Elburn, was educated in the district school, and has devoted his life to farming. He has
served his neighbors two terms as School Director.
GEORGE BARTON (deceased) pioneer settler, born in England in 1815; came to the United States in 1834, locating
first in New York State, removing to Kane County in 1836, where he purchased a tract of government land upon which
he resided until his death, August 27, 1903, dying at the age of eighty-eight years; married in 1853, Miss Sarah
N. Ferguson, who still survives and resides on the old farm in Big Rock Township.
JAMES W. BATTLE, prominent business man and ex-Mayor of Aurora, was born in Gill, Franklin County, Mass., Oct.
5, 1831, son of Ichabod and Miranda (Moore) Battle, was educated in his native town and variously employed in Massachusetts
and Vermont until 1853. The latter year he came west, and was locomotive fireman for a time in Ohio; later he returned
east, but soon came to Michigan City, Ind., where he secured employment with the New Albany & Salem Railroad,
soon after connecting himself with the Michigan Central Railroad. In 1859 he was with the Hannibal & St. Joe
Railroad, but the following year he went back to Massachusetts, where for two years he was engaged in merchandising.
Since 1862, with the exception of four years in which he was on the Northwestern as an engineer, for most of the
time until 1871 he was in the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad as engineer. For six years
thereafter he was a grocer in Aurora, was the first superintendent of the first street car line established in
Aurora, and in 1886 was appointed Superintendent of the city water works. In 1878 he was elected City Alderman
and served four years; in 1882 was chosen Mayor, and in 1892 again made Alderman, and in 1894 was a second time
elected Mayor. Although ''counted out,'' the Illinois Supreme Court confirmed his claim, and he served his term.
In 1898, he was elected to the County Board, and served a year as Superintendent of the water works, In 1903 he
was chosen on the Kane County Board of Review, a position which he still fills. He has been associated with the
various manufacturing interests of Aurora and is a director and Vice President of the Aurora Silver Plate Manufacturing
Company. In 1854 he married Miss Cordelia Lobdell, born and bred in Ohio, but who died in 1856. Three years later
Miss Isabella Gilbert, a native of Massachusetts, became his wife.
HENRY J. BAUMANN druggist, Dundee, born in Dundee, Kane County, Ill., June 27, 1859, son of John Baumann, a native
of Germany, was educated in the Dundee schools and graduated from the St. Louis College of Pharmacy in 1878. He
was employed as clerk in Dr. Cleveland's store until 1880, when he bought a half-interest in the establishment,
the following year purchasing the remaining interest and now being sole proprietor. He has been local manager for
the Chicago Telephone Company since it established a Dundee station, and also does a general fire insurance business.
For two years he served as Trustee of West Dundee, for twenty years he has been a member of the Library Board,
and for four years has filled the President's chair. Dr. Baumann was married, May 5, 1881, to Miss Elizabeth Bartels,
daughter of Charles Bartels, of West Point, Neb, but formerly of Dundee, Ill.
ABRAHAM BEAMISH, farmer, Burlington Township, Kane County, Ill.; born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1817; came to
America in 1840, locating first in Canada; removed to Kane County, Ill., In 1843, settling in Plato Township. In
1853 he purchased 180 acres of land In Burlington Township, to which he subsequently added forty acres more, and
here carried on dairy farming until his retirement in 1896. He was married in 1843, to Miss Sarah Mitchell, and
of their children, two sons and one daughter are still living - Samuel, John and Lily Beamish. Mr. Beamish died
May 29, 1901; his wife surviving him until February, 1903.
GEORGE A. BEAZIER, retired farmer, Hampshire, Ill, born in the village where he now resides, Sept. 13, 1852, and
remained under the parental roof until 1875. In 1875 and '76 he traveled extensively in Europe, and in 1883 purchased
a 120-acre farm in Hampshire Township, which he conducted until 1902, when he removed to the village, where he
has since lived retired. On January 1, 1877, he was married to Miss Mary M. Munsch, of Hampshire. (NOTE:
George's great-grandaughter Sharry Blazier would like folks to know that this is probably a typo and the name should
be spelled BLAZIER.)
ARTHUR M. BEAUPRE. son of Mathias and Sarah J. (Patrick) Beaupre, was born in 1853, at Oswego, Kendall County,
Ill., where he spent his early boyhood. In 1865 he removed with his parents to DeKalb, Ill., and when sixteen years
of age entered the office of the "DeKalb County News" in the last named city, where he learned the printer's
trade thoroughly and made him self generally useful in all departments of the office. At the age of twenty-one
years he came to Aurora, where, a few months later, he was elected Clerk of the City Court, and later elected for
a second term, but shortly after his re-election, was induced to accept the position of Deputy County Clerk at
Geneva. In 1886 he was elected County Clerk by a large majority and re-elected to the same position in 1890, thus
holding the office eight years, and left the position with the good will and esteem of all who had occasion to
transact business in his department. In October, 1897, he was appointed by President McKinley, Secretary of Legation
and Consul-General at Guatemala, Central America, where he served about three years, when he was transferred to
Bogota, Colombia, South America. In 1903 he was appointed by President Roosevelt, Minister Plenipotentiary and
Envoy-Extraordinary of the United States to Colombia, this being one of only two instances where a Consul of the
United States has been promoted to the position of Minister. In March, 1904, he was appointed Minister to the Argentine
Republic by President Roosevelt, this mission being the most important in South America. On October 20, 1880, he
was married to Mary F. Marsh, daughter of Hon. C. W. Marsh, and their only child, Beatrice, was born March 26,
1884, and is now the wife of Spencer Stuart Dickson, British Vice-Consul at Bogota.
WILLIAM S. BEAUPRE, banker, Aurora, Ill., born at Ottawa, La Salle County, Ill., Oct. 2, 1844, son of Mathias Beaupre,
who was of French descent and came to Illinois from Canada in 1838, locating first in Joliet and later in Kendall
County, where he served as Sheriff two terms. William S. Beaupre was reared in La Salle and Kendall Counties, obtained
his education in the public schools, and began his business career as clerk in a dry-goods store at Aurora. In
1869 he was appointed Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue in the Second District of Illinois, holding that position
until 1883, when he resigned to become Cashier of the Aurora National Bank, organized in the year last named, and
since 1895 has been Vice President and Manager of that institution. Mr. Beaupre is also President of the Kane County
Title & Trust Company, which he organized in 1902 by consolidating the Kane County Abstract and the People's
Abstract offices; is a Director of the Fox River Light, Heat & Power Company, a pioneer enterprise in the distribution
of gas from a central plant to surrounding towns in the Fox River Valley; is Director and Treasurer of the Home
Building & Loan Association of Aurora; has been a member of the Aurora Board of Education (East Side) for twenty-two
years, and a Director of the Aurora Free Library since its organization. He is a Knight Templar in Masonry, and
a member of other fraternal organizations. He married Miss Julia Brady, daughter of Lorenzo D. Brady, a pioneer
merchant and banker of Aurora, a sketch of whom may be found else where in this volume.
FRED. W. BELDEN (deceased), farmer, born at Batavia, N. Y., May 8, 1841, and died at his home near Kaneville, Ill.,
Sept. 3, 1903, lived in Rochester, N. Y., until 1858, when he came with his parents to Illinois and settled on
a farm near Batavia, Kane County; married in 1863 Sarah Annis. Mr. Belden was one of the most widely known farmers
in Illinois, and was noted at all county fairs and agricultural exhibitions held in Illinois for the fine cattle
he raised on his farm.
GEORGE C. BELL, cement contractor, Elgin, Ill., was born in Battle Creek, Mich., June 3, 1881, son of Edward and
Mary C. (Mitchell) Bell. When an infant he was brought by his parents to Elgin, where he received his education
in the Elgin Academy and the Ballou Business College. He spent his summers working with his father, and learning
all kinds of the cement and concrete trade, including paving. He worked six winters learning the photograph business.
August 10, 1901, he was taken into partnership with his father, who is a pioneer in Elgin in this line of business.
In the summer season they employ from fifteen to eighteen men, and at the present time have orders enough on hand
to keep the full force of men at work until snow flies. Their office is Room 5, Hubbard Block, Elgin. Mr. Bell
was married Sept. 25, 1901, to Miss Ethel Anderson, a native of Illinois.
GEORGE A. BEITH, retired farmer, Campton Township, Kane County, born .Jan. 7, 1848, in St. Charles, Ill., son of
William and Mary (Allen) Beith was educated in the public schools, the private school of Mr. McClellan, and the
Bryant & Stratton's Business College of Chicago, where he took a course. In 1892 he bought the old homestead
farm of his father, having already bought the Kenier place adjoining. For three years he was Assessor, and has
been School Director since he was twenty-one years old. He is a deacon and trustee of the Congregational Church,
of which he has been treasurer since its organization. He was married Sept. 21, 1871, to Miss Lucinda, daughter
of Almon and Hannah (Smith) Richmond.
BELLEVUE PLACE SANITARIUM, an institution for the treatment of female patients afflicted with nervous and mental
disorders, located at Batavia, Ill. It was founded in 1867, by Dr. Richard J. Patterson, who was a noted specialist
in this line and had previously had a wide experience in other institutions of like character. The institution
gained a wide celebrity under Dr. Patterson's management, which continued until his death in 1892. It is still
continued under the management of Dr. Patter son's successors, who have introduced many improvements since his
death, and many distinguished patients have received treatment within its walls.
LEONARD BENJAMIN (deceased), pioneer; born at Sangerfield, N. Y., in 1813; came to Illinois in 1837, locating on
Government land in Sugar Grove Township, Kane County, where he resided and carried on general farming and stock-raising
until his death in 1895. The old homestead is now the residence of his son, Todd Benjamin. Mr. Benjamin was also
one of the pioneer school teachers of Kane County. He was married in 1847 to Miss Lucretia Emery, who still survives
her husband and lives in Sugar Grove.
PRATT BENJAMIN, farmer and Stock-raiser, Sugar Grove Township, Kane County born in the township where he now resides,
June 5, 1855; was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools, the Sugar Grove Normal and Industrial Institute
and the Jennings Seminary, Aurora. He has been engaged in farming during his entire business career. Mr. Benjamin
was married in 1878 to Miss Jane Densmore.
ARTHUR A. BENNETT, manufacturer, St. Charles, Ill., was born in Montpelier, Vt., July 31, 1847, son of George H.
and Emeline Bennett, in his youth becoming a graduate of the Montpelier high school and a student of Dartmouth
College. Upon leaving college he became interested in farming, in which he was engaged a number of years, his next
employment being in connection with the creamery business in New York, after which going to Canada, he there built
and equipped about thirty creameries. In Burlington, Vt., he entered into the employ of a company for making sugar
from milk. This is factory was removed in 1886 to St. Charles, where it is now the National Sugar Milk Company,
with Mr. Bennett as its General Manager. He served as Mayor of St. Charles four consecutive terms - from 1891 to
1899. Mr. Bennett was married in October, 1868, to Miss Harriet French of Vermont, who died in 1881. He was again
married, May 3, 1883, to Miss Eleanor Needham, of Montpelier, Vt., One daughter, Clara E., was born of the first
marriage, and two sons, Edward E. and Sydney R., of the second union. Mr. Bennett is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
BENNIE BENSON, farmer, Kaneville Township, Kane County, was born March 31, 1858, in Sweden, and came to Kane County
in 1880. He worked on a farm many years, and in 1895 was able to buy a place for himself four and a half miles
southwest of Elburn. In politics he is a Republican, and in religion a Lutheran, being a member of the Lutheran
church of Batavia. In March, 1885, Mr. Benson was married to Miss Mary Anderson, and to them have come two daughters.
CHARLES BENTON, farmer and stock-raiser, Kaneville, Ill., was born in Blackberry Township, Kane County, May 16,
1845, the Son of Gilbert and Jemima (Shaw) Benton. After finishing his education in the public schools, he began
farming on the old homestead, which has been his business to the present time. In politics he is a Democrat and
for the past ten years has served as Road Commissioner. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity. He was married, May
16, 1876 to .Judith J. Price, and they have had five children, four sons and one daughter.
TILGHMAN H. BEREMAN (deceased), Aurora, born in Danville, Ind. , Sept. 16, 1839, son of Samuel and Eleanor (Ellis)
Bereman; in his boyhood the family removed to Iowa where he grew up on a farm; educated in the public school and
at Lombard University, Galesburg; was engaged in trade at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, until his election as Auditor of
Henry County, - a position he filled for four years; afterward connected with the Western Wheeled Scraper Company,
and when this company removed to Aurora, he followed it, and became cashier, a position he held until his death,
Dec. 6, 1899. In 1866 he married Miss Rebecca Holmes of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. The surviving members of the family
are Mrs. Bereman, James and Sherman Bereman, all of Aurora.
HERBERT Z. BERRY, printer and publisher, Aurora, Ill., born at Medina, Medina County, Ohio, Nov. 7, 1855, came
with his parents to Illinois in 1857 and grew up in Aurora, where he obtained his education in the public schools
and learned the printer's trade. In 1872 he became associated with the Aurora Beacon, and was identified with that
paper until the spring of 1897, acting as manager of the publication during the last ten years of his service.
In 1898 he associated himself with A. G. Wormwood, thus establishing the now well-known printing house of Wormwood
& Berry. Mr. Berry is a director and Vice-President of the Improvement, Building & Loan Association, with
which he has been officially identified since its organization; has been prominent in the councils of the Republican
party of Aurora for twenty years, and for sixteen years was Secretary of the Republican organization in the city.
He was married in 1880 to Miss Martha W. Hoyt, daughter of A. .J. and Caroline Hoyt of Aurora.
ALBERT BEVERLY, retired farmer, Maple Park, born in Oneida County, N. Y., March 12, 1825, son of David and Eleanor
(McMaster) Smith, received his education in the district schools of his native place, and in 1843 came to Maple
Park, Ill., where he bought a farm one mile north of Elburn. This place he sold in 1847, to purchase another farm
near Lodi (now Maple Park), where he lived until 1879. That year he built a home in Maple Park, where he is now
living a retired life. In his active years Mr. Beverly has taken a leading part In the political and business affairs
of his home community. He has been Collector, Road Commissioner, School Trustee, Mayor of Maple Park and for sixteen
years Assessor of the Town of Virgil. His marriage to Miss Mary Jenkins occurred in September, 1845. She died Dec.
27, 1846, and he married his second wife, Miss Sarah J. Smith, in October, 1849. She became the mother of six children,
only two of whom are now living. She died Jan. 30, 1863. Miss Leannah Bennett became Mr. Beverly's third wife,
and of her six children, two daughters and one son are now living.
MELVIN BEVERLY, carpenter and joiner, Maple Park, Kane County, born Sept. 24, 1842, in Chautauqua County, N. Y.,
received his education in the schools of his native State, and came to Kane County, Ill., in 1860. Here he worked
as a carpenter and joiner, and established a business as a contractor and builder, which he discontinued to enter
the Union army, in April, 1862, when he became a member of the Sixty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. At Harper's
Ferry, on Sept. 15, 1862, he was taken prisoner, was paroled, and coming to Chicago, enlisted in the Thirteenth
Regiment United Slates Regular Army. On Feb. 5, following, he received his discharge, having been permanently injured
so as to seriously affect his legs. On his return home he resumed his business as a carpenter, and was quite a
noted builder. Mr. Beverly was married, Aug. 15. 1878, to Miss Hattie Shoop, of Kane County, and they have had
four children-two sons and two daughters.
MILTON J. BEVERLY, Deputy Clerk of the Kane County Probate Court, Maple Park, Kane County, Ill., was born in Virgil
Township, Kane County, Dec. 11, 1874, son of Albert Beverly and Leannah (Bennett) Beverly; was educated in the
public schools and the Metropolitan Business College (Chicago), and trained to merchandising, being employed for
eight years in the general store of L. C. Clyne at Maple Park. In November, 1900, Mr. Beverly was appointed Deputy
Cleric of the Kane County Probate Court to succeed Capt. Ben Gould, and has since filled that position, in the
mean time becoming well known to the people of Kane County. In political views he is a Republican and served at
Tax Collector of Virgil Township tour years. He is a Thirty-second Degree Mason, and a member of many other fraternal
organizations. Mr. Beverly was married in 1893 to Miss Emma M. Kenyon, daughter of Oliver and Sarah (Farah) Kenyon
of Maple Park, Ill.
ALEXANDER BINNIE, pioneer farmer, Dundee, Township, Kane County, was born in Kirkliston, Scotland, Dec. 22, 1829,
and there lived with his parents, attending the Parish school until eighteen years of age. He is the youngest of
a family of nine children, all of whom are deceased except one brother, Henry, who at present lives in Iowa. At
eighteen years of age Mr. Binnie went out into the world to "hoe his own row," working for his brother
David until coming to the States in 1848. Two years later he met and married Miss Jane Wilson, one son (John, now
deceased) being the result of this union. His wife died in 1878. Knowing it was "not good for man to be alone,"
he married as his second wife Bethia F. Crichton, whose companionship, with their six children - four sons and
two daughters- he at present enjoys. In politics he is a stanch Republican, and has always been interested in the
welfare of his country, State anti town, taking an active part in school and town affairs, and served as Town Assessor
for twelve consecutive years. At present he is reputed one of the largest land-owners in the township, and is the
heaviest milk-shipper to the Borden Condensed Milk Company, at Carpentersville. Throughout his long residence of
more than fifty years in Dundee, he has been one of its most active citizens.
WILLIAM WARD BISHOP, pioneer manufacturer and banker, Aurora, Ill.; born in Essex County, England, April 19, 1821;
came to America when a lad and spent his youth in Massachusetts where he was engaged in a foundry for several years;
came to Illinois in 1852, establishing a foundry of considerable magnitude in Aurora which he conducted very successfully
until 1865; was President of the Aurora Cotton Mills, and also of the Bishop & Colter Bank, which later became
the First National Bank. Mr. Bishop served as director of the latter institution until the time of his death, Oct.
26, 1892. He was married in 1845 to Miss Julia Ann Shepherd, and they became the parents of two children: Frank
William, who died in 1895, and Mrs. Fanny Henderson, of Aurora. Mrs. Bishop is still living (1903).
FRANCIS H. BLACKMAN, physician and surgeon, Geneva, Ill.; born at Naperville, Ill., Aug. 28, 1846; was reared on
his father's farm and obtained his academic education at Clark's Seminary (Aurora) and Lawrence University (Appleton,
Wis.); graduated from the Department of Medicine of the Northwestern University with the class of 1870; located
in Geneva immediately after graduation and has since been engaged in medical and surgical practice in that city.
June 1, 1871, he married Miss Julia A. Cole, who is also a graduate in the science of medicine.
.JOHN M. BLACKBURN, Secretary and Treasurer EIgin Silver Plate Company, Elgin, Ill., born in Cleveland, Ohio, Jan.
29, 1858, was educated in the city schools of his native place, and entered the employ of the Meriden Britannia
Company, Meriden, Conn., in 1877 as a clerk. In 1882 he equipped and managed a branch factory at Toronto, Ont.
He spent 1889 in Meriden, and in 1890 was elected Secretary and Treasurer of the Griffin Silver Plate Company of
Chicago. The following year he located in Elgin, and in 1892 was elected Secretary and Treasurer of the Elgin Silver
Plate Company. In political matters he is a Republican, and in 1898 was chosen a member of the Board of Education,
where he served three years, two years of that time being President of the Public Library Board. He belongs to
the Modern Woodmen of America and the Century Club.
CHARLES L. BLANCHARD, undertaker and insurance agent, St. Charles, Ill., born in Chicago Nov. 27, 1852, son of
Zara A. and Elizabeth (Jordan) Blanchard, was brought to St. Charles by his parents when an infant, and was there
reared and educated, he was in Kansas from 1869 to 1873. and began his business career as a clerk in the old Kane
County National Bank in 1875. In 1879 he went to Kansas City to enter the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad, which
he served four years, and for four years following was in the real-estate business in that city. For five years
he did a railway contracting business in Kansas and Kentucky. In 1893 he returned to St Charles, and for a time
was inactive, but in February 1896, took up the undertaking business in which he is at present (1903) engaged.
Fraternally Mr. Blanchard is a Mason and belongs to Fox River Chapter, No. 14, and Unity Lodge, No. 48, and to
St. Charles Lodge, No. 14, I. 0. 0. F. Mr. Blanchard was married, Feb. 26, 1896, to Miss Florence, daughter of
Leonard and Caroline (Smith) Howard, the oldest settlers of St. Charles. They have one child, a daughter, Wilda
GUSTAVUS P. BLANCHARD (deceased), carpenter and well driller, St. Charles, Ill.; born in Cayuga County, N. Y.,
August 10, 1831; came to St. Charles with his father in 1837, and in 1849 made a trip to the California gold fields,
where he remained ten years. Returning to St. Charles in 1859, he was variously employed until the time of his
death, Feb. 15, 1900. He was married to Lucy Sunderland, of Highgate, Vt.
WILLIAM L. BLANCHARD (deceased), farmer, Aurora, Ill., was born in Newton, R. I., in 1785, was reared in his native
State, and married Hannah Hull, of Tolland, Conn. They spent their early married lives in Eaton, N. Y., and in
1839 came west to Aurora, Ill., where they lived for some years and then located on a farm near that city. There
Mr. Blanchard died in 1852. Mrs. Conant, of Batavia, is the only surviving member of the family.
ZARA A. BLANCHARD (deceased), engineer and farmer, St. Charles, Ill., was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., Sept.
29, 1829, and came to St. Charles with his parents March 2, 1838. They settled on a farm in Section 17, near the
village, and Zara received his education in the St. Charles schools. Mr. Blanchard's first business experience
was as engineer on a construction train of the Galena Division of the Illinois Central Railroad, from 1851 to 1854.
The latter year he returned to St. Charles, where for ten years he worked as a carpenter, and then removed to a
farm east of the city. He was married in 1851 to Elizabeth Jordan, who was born in England, and was a school teacher
in St. Charles at the time of her marriage. Mr. Blanchard died in the spring of 1895, leaving two children: Charles
L. Blanchard and a daughter, now Mrs. C. C. Morse, of Chicago.
JEDEDIAH H. BLISS, prominent farmer and financier of Sugar Grove Township, Kane County, was born in the town where
he is now doing business, Nov. 5, 1850, a son of P. Y. Bliss, one of the pioneers of the county. He was brought
up on the family homestead, and given his education in the public schools. As a young man he began farming, and
has continued that occupation to the present time, being also extensively interested in stock-raising. His attention
was early turned to banking enterprises, and he is a director of the old Second National Bank at Aurora. In 1888
Miss Grace Carter, of DeKalb, became his wife.
P. Y. BLISS (deceased), merchant and farmer, Aurora, Ill., was born in Strafford, Vt., in 1806, and died at Sugar
Grove, Ill., in 1888. His father having died when the son was four years of age, he grew to years of maturity in
the family of his uncle, Judge Harris, of Strafford, where he obtained his education in the old-time "select
schools," and in his early manhood taught school for a time. Later he went to Boston, Mass., where he was
trained in merchandising, and afterwards returned to Strafford, where he was connected with Judge Harris in the
mercantile business for several years. Some time in the '30s he came west, bringing with him a stock of goods and
intending to locate in St. Louis, Mo., but a dishonest Clerk having run away with a part of his goods caused him
to change his plans, and he then came to Kane County and opened a store at Sugar Grove. For years thereafter he
was well known throughout that portion of the county as the pioneer merchant. Later he purchased a farm near by,
and thereafter, until his death, was a successful farmer. His leisure hours were devoted largely to literary work,
and he became a frequent contributor to newspapers and periodicals. He was notable among the pioneers for his advocacy
of tree planting and the protection of wild birds, and he built up a beautiful country home. In 1846 he married
Miss Helen Mather (a descendant of Cotton Mather) born at Lodi, Erie County, N. Y., and came west with her parents,
who located in Kane County at a very early date. Since her husbands death Mrs. Bliss has resided at Aurora, and
her son, J. Harris Bliss, now occupies the old homestead at Sugar Grove.
CHESTER W. BOLCUM, farmer and stock raiser, Wasco, Ill., was born in the town of Fowler, Jefferson County, N. Y.,
Jan. 17, 1852, son of George F. and Bessie (Jeffers) Bolcum. His father, who was born Aug. 16 , 1819, is still
living. Chester W. Bolcum acquired his education in Oneida County, N. Y., and has earned his own way since the
age of seven years, working for his board, clothes and schooling until he was thirteen years old, when he started
lumber-jobbing, and very soon had from ten to thirty men under his charge. When he reached the age of twenty-one
he came to Plano, Ill., and, entering the employ of Lewis Steward, soon became foreman and general manager of his
extensive mills and factories. This position he held for about eight years, when he rented a farm about half a
mile from the present site of Wasco and engaged in extensive dairying operations, at the same time operating several
rented places. In 1887 he bought a farm one mile north of Wasco, and the adjoining farm In 1901, all comprising
232 acres. He has sold his dairy interests, and now devotes his attention to dealing in live stock. Several times
a year he makes extensive trips into Iowa and Wisconsin, where he purchases cattle. Mr. Bolcum was married, Feb.
19, 1879, to Miss Cassie Buckley, daughter of Joseph and Jane (Hartman) Buckley, and they have had eight daughters
and two sons-one daughter dying in infancy. Mr. Bolcum is a Republican, and has served as a member of the School
Board for about eighteen years, and has been Commissioner of Highways for many years. For five years he has been
commander of the local lodge Knights of Maccabees, and helped organize the Great Camp at Chicago. In the conventions
of the order at Peoria and Springfield he was a prominent figure. He is a member of Unity Lodge, No. 48, A. F.
& A. M., at St. Charles, one of the oldest lodges in Illinois.
CHARLES BOLZ, merchant, Dundee, Ill., was born in Dundee Township, Kane County, Oct. 19. 1867, son of Michael and
Christina (Sorn) Bolz, grew to manhood on his father's farm, and received his education in the local schools. He
was engaged in farming until the spring of 1902, when, in company with his younger brother, August, he bought out
the firm of E. M. Garrison & Co., and engaged in the sale of agricultural implements in Dundee. This business
they have since continued on an extensive scale under the firm name of Bolz Brothers, and have a trade which extends
over a good part of three counties. He served as a member of the Dundee Township School Board for twelve years.
He is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, and for six years was a correspondent
of the Agricultural Department at Washington, making out regular reports as to the condition of crops in Kane County.
GAIL BORDEN (deceased) was born at Norwich, N. Y., in 1801, and reared in Ohio and Indiana, received a good education,
and in his early manhood taught school in Mississippi, where he was also a United States Deputy Surveyor; in 1829
went to Texas, where he engaged in farming and stock-raising; was appointed Superintendent of Official Surveys
by General Austin, and compiled the first topographical map of the Texas colonies. He had charge of the land office
at San Felipe, and published the only newspaper issued in Texas during the Revolution; was Collector of the Port
of Galveston in 1837, and was afterward agent of the Galveston City Company for twelve years. Returning to the
North, he located in Elgin, Ill, where he became famous as the pioneer manufacturer of condensed milk and other
kinds of concentrated foods. He died Jan. 11, 1874. The Public Library of Elgin is named in his honor.
J. M. BORDEN, merchant, Dundee, Ill.; born at Cazenovia, N. Y., Nov. 8, 1838; came with his parents to Dundee in
1854; engaged in the coal and lumber trade in Dundee, and at the present time is a member of the firm of Borden,
Westerman & Co.; is also interested in the wholesale cigar trade in Chicago, to which he devotes most of his
FRANK S. BOSWORTH, dealer in lumber and coal, Elgin, Ill.; born at Boston, Erie County, N. Y., Dec. 17, 1832; came
west with his grandparents in 1839; began his business career in 1843 as a clerk in his uncle's store at Dundee,
with whom he became a business partner in 1852, which was continued until 1866; came to Elgin in 1871 and has since
been connected with business Interests in that city.
ALFRED BOSWORTH, banker, Elgin, Ill., born April 1, 1846, at Dundee, Ill., son of I. C. and Mary (Root) Bosworth,
received his education in the Dundee schools and from the old University of Chicago, from which he was graduated
in 1866 and is now one of its Trustees. The following year he was made a partner with his father and George M.
Peck in a large mercantile enterprise at Elgin, with which he remained connected until 1875, when he engaged in
banking as a member of the firm of Bosworth, Carpenter & Co. The year following he bought a controlling interest
in the First National Bank, became its cashier, and took active management of its affairs, a position he has since
retained. For one term he has been Treasurer of the city of Elgin, and is highly regarded by the business men and
the public generally. He was married in 1873 to Miss Eleanora M. Wheeler, of Bradsborough, Vt.
INCREASE C. BOSWORTH (deceased), merchant and banker, Elgin, Ill., born April 2, 1812, in Saratoga County, N.Y.,
came west to Chicago in 1838, but, remaining there only a short time, removed to Dundee where he started a general
store. There he was in business until 1867, when he removed to Elgin and continued in the same line until 1875,
when he turned his attention to banking interests. The following year he bought an interest in the First National
Bank of Elgin, became its President, and held that position during the remainder of his life. His investments were
extensive in and around Elgin, and he was largely interested in a number of important enterprises. As a public-spirited
citizen he was always ready to serve in any useful capacity. For years he was a member of the Board of Trustees
of the Northern Hospital for the Insane; was on the Board of Trustees of the University of Chicago; served as an
Alderman and Supervisor in Elgin, and, prior to 1875, had been Vice-President of the Home National Bank. Mr. Bosworth
was married in 1844 to Miss Mary Ann Root, of Elgin, and died Jan. 12, 1888, in his own home.
HENRY I. BOSWORTH, banker, Elgin, born in Dundee, Ill., Sept. 10, 1854, son of I. C. Bosworth, was educated in
the Elgin public schools and academy, and graduated from the old University of Chicago in 1876. For about a year
he was a clerk in the establishment of Bosworth Brothers & Peck, and in 1879 accepted a clerkship in the First
National Bank, his father being President. For several years he has been Second Vice-President of the bank, with
which he has been connected continuously since his first entrance into its service. He has been Treasurer of the
City of Elgin several terms, a member of the Board of Supervisors, and is now (1903) a member of the Library Board.
WILLIAM E. BOSWORTH (deceased), for merchant, Elgin, was born in Dundee, Ill., Oct. 5, 1848, was a student of
the Dundee local schools, and a graduate of the old University of Chicago in 1869. The same year he became a member
of the firm of Bosworth Brothers & Peck, a noted dry-goods house, which, by the retirement of Alfred Bosworth
in 1874, became Bosworth & Peck. In 1881 Mr. Peck retired, leaving the entire business in the hands of Mr.
Bosworth, who built up a large and growing trade in dry-goods and carpets. In June, 1902, he sold out to Cohen
Brothers and retired from business. Mr. Bosworth was largely interested in farm lands, and owned a number of fine
farms in association with his brothers. In the '80s he was a member of the Board of Trustees of the University
of Chicago, and at the time of his death was a member of the Board of Trustees of Elgin Academy and of the School
Board of Elgin. From his University days he maintained his connection with the Phi Kappa Psi Society. He was a
deacon in the Baptist Church for more than twenty years. He was married, May 12, 1874, to Miss Ida L. Woodruff,
daughter of Cyrus H. Woodruff, of Elgin. His death occurred 0ct. 30, 1903.
RICHARD N. BOTSFORD, attorney, Elgin, Ill., was born at Newtown, Fairfield County, Conn., Oct. 28, 1830; became
a graduate of the Connecticut State Normal School, New Britain, Conn. in 1851, when he came to St. Charles, Ill.,
in the fall of that year. For a time he was engaged in teaching and in the publication of the St. Charles "Chronicle.''
He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1857 . Beginning his practice the following year, Mr. Botsford soon
attained a good standing in his profession, and was elected County Judge in 1861, filling this position four years
In 1870 he located in Elgin. In politics a Democrat, he was nominated for Supreme Judge on the State ticket in
1897. He is attorney for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway and the First National Bank, and very actively
assisted in promoting the construction of the Chicago & Pacific Railway Company, being both a stockholder in
the company and attorney for the company before the courts.
FULLER A. BOWDISH, retired farmer. Aurora, Ill., born at Milford, Otsego County, N. Y., Sept. 7. 1833; came west
in 1849 with his parents, who settled in Blackberry Township, Kane County; began his business career as a farmer
and followed that occupation in Blackberry Township until the spring of 1900, when he retired and removed to Aurora,
where he has since resided. He was married to Miss Malinda Acres, and their children are Gordon A. and Elbridge
GEORGE S. BOWEN, retired merchant, manufacturer and capitalist, Elgin, Ill., born at Ingham's Mills, Herkimer County,
N. Y., Nov. 30, 1829; was educated in the public schools, and obtained his first business experience in the office
of the Wool-Growers' Manufacturing Company, of Little Falls, N. Y., where he was employed six years. He came to
Chicago in 1849, and soon after entered into the employment of N. H. Wood, a leading dry goods merchant of that
period. In 1853, in company with his brother, Chauncey T. Bowen, and others, he purchased the establishment of
his employer, Mr. Wood, and founded the firm of Mills, Bowen, Dillenbeck & Co., which three years later was
changed to Bowen Brothers, the latter for many years conducting one of the leading wholesale dry-goods and notion
houses of Chicago. Col .J. H. Bowen, another brother, became a member of the concern in 1857, the firm some time
before the fire of 1871 becoming Bowen, Whitman & Winslow, and still later Bowen, Hunt & Winslow. After
the fire, in which Mr. Bowen was a heavy loser, having retired from trade, he removed to Elgin, which has since
been his home, in the meantime maintaining his connection with business and financial affairs in Chicago. While
a resident of Chicago Mr. Bowen was active in the advancement of many enterprises calculated to promote the commercial,
manufacturing and educational interests of the city . Among these may be mentioned the Woolen Manufacturers' Association
of the Northwest, of which he was the President for many years, and under whose auspices a number of expositions
of woolen goods were held in Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis. St. Louis and other cities. He also inaugurated
the movement which resulted in the organization of the Chicago Manufacturers Association and the Chicago Exposition,
which was carried off successfully for a number of years, and in support of which, by his personal efforts, he
succeeded in raising $150,000 for the erection of the Exposition buildings. In 1861 he was chosen President of
the Chicago Library Board, and after the fire of 1871 organized the movement which resulted in the founding of
the present Public Library. In 1871 he took part in the organization of the Chicago & Pacific Railway Company,
serving as Treasurer, Vice-President and President, and after his removal to Elgin was an active factor in promoting
the construction of this line, now a part of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul system. His connection with
this enterprise continued during the life of the original corporation, after he negotiated the sale which resulted
in the transfer of the property to the St. Paul line. Mr. Bowen has since represented various financial interests
and railroad enterprises, and has spent much time in Europe in negotiation with capitalists and investors. He has
been largely interested in the introduction of the tower system of electric lighting, establishing plants in New
Orleans, Detroit, Evansville, Ind.; Macon and Savannah, Ga.; La Crosse, Wis.; Fargo, N. D.; the City of Mexico,
Elgin and other cities. In 1879 he conducted a manufacturers' excursion to Mexico, the results of which have been
apparent in the increase of trade with that country, and has also been active in promoting more intimate commercial
relations with South American States. He is now the President of the North Pacific Trading Company of Chicago and
Tokio, importers and exporters of Japanese and American goods. Mr. Bowen as one of the founders of the Elgin Board
of Trade, and served as Mayor of that city two years (1872-3), his administration being remembered as one of the
most business-like and progressive in the history of the city. In 1896 he was an unsuccessful candidate for Congress
in opposition to present United States Senator A. J. Hopkins. His long and active business career and his interest
in public affairs have brought him in contact with many leading men in public life, financiers and men of affairs,
and few men now living in the West have had more interesting and varied experiences. Mr. Bowen was married in 1854
to Miss Julia E. Byington at Salisbury Center, N. Y.
CAPT. FRANCIS H. BOWMAN, retired merchant and banker, St. Charles, Kane County, Ill. born in Binghamton, N. Y.,
May 9, 1816, son of Ebenezer and Sylvia (Barnaby) Bowman, of English ancestry; was educated in the schools of his
native place, and in 1831 went to Ithaca, N. Y. where he entered upon a course of training for mercantile pursuits
in the general store of his uncle, Hiram Heath; later spent some nine years as clerk in a hardware store at Auburn,
N. Y., when in 1845 he came to St. Charles, Kane County, Ill., where he had previously been interested in business
with a former fellow-employee, and soon after engaged in the hardware trade there, becoming head of the firm of
Bowman & Lloyd, in the mean time also operating an iron foundry. Having disposed of a part of his business
interests in 1861, he took part in the organization of the Fifty-second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in
which he was commissioned Captain of Company G, receiving his "baptism of fire" at the battle of Shiloh
in April, 1862. Having resigned his commission during this year, he returned to St. Charles and there resumed his
connection with the hardware and manufacturing business, and later helped to organize the Kane County National
Bank, of which he was chosen a Director, serving in this capacity during its entire existence. The Kane County
National Bank having been dissolved, he be came a stockholder in its successor, the banking house of J. C. Baird
& Co., after the death of Mr. Baird becoming manager of the latter concern, which finally took the name of
Bowman, Warne & Steward, and of which he continued to be the head until 1898, when he retired from business.
Captain Bowman has been a member of the Republican party since its organization, and has represented his party
in many State and County Conventions. He was a member of the first Kane County Board of Supervisors for St. Charles
Township, has served as Village Trustee, and is at present (1903) Township Treasurer. For sixty-three years he
has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and has frequently served as delegate to the Grand Lodge
and Grand Encampments. In addition to his banking and mercantile interests, he has been a stockholder in the St.
Charles Milk Condensing Company, the Crown Electric Manufacturing Company, and has done much to promote manufacturing
interests In Kane County. Captain Bowman was married in 1849 to Miss Helen M. Smith, who was born and reared in
Elmira, N. Y. She died in 1891.
FREEMAN H. BOWRON, retired farmer and veteran of the Civil War, was born in Champlain, Clinton County, N. Y., May
31, 1839, where he was reared on a farm and was educated in the public schools and a local academy. On March 5,
1862, he enlisted in Company H, Eleventh New York Volunteer Cavalry, being mustered into the service on Staten
Island shortly afterward. His first year of military life was spent with his command in and around Washington;
the second year the regiment was sent to New Orleans, and spent the rest of the period of the Civil War in the
Department of the Gulf. Mr. Bowron was mustered out March 5, 1865, at Memphis, Tenn., having served twenty-six
months as Orderly Sergeant and later as Second Lieutenant. After revisiting New York, he came to Aurora, Ill.,
where for twelve years he was in the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company. In 1877 he
purchased a farm on the edge of Geneva, Kane County, Ill., where he was entirely engaged in farming and dairying
until 1896, when he removed to Aurora, where he has maintained his home to the present time. Mr. Bowron is a Knight
Templar Mason and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. In 1870 he married Miss Clara A. Earle, daughter
of Charles C. Earle, whose name appears elsewhere in this work.
EDWARD A. BRADLEY, banker, Aurora, Ill., was born in Lee, Mass., Sept. 5, 1830, son of Eli Bradley, who came of
an old New England family. Reared as a farmer and given an academic education, he began his business career as
a clerk in a dry-goods store, but soon after became connected with a bank in his native town, where he received
that training that fitted him for his subsequent career. In 1857 he came to Aurora, Ill., to take a position in
the private banking house of Albert Jencks & Co. This institution was succeeded by Brady, Hawkins & Allen,
of which Mr. Bradley became Cashier and Manager. Later Mr. Bradley, in company with these gentlemen, organized
the First National Bank of Aurora, of which he became Cashier - a position which he held until the death of Mr.
Hawkins, when he succeeded to the Presidency, continuing in the latter position up to the time of his death, Oct.
4, 1899. Mr. Bradley's career as a banker in Aurora covered a period of more than forty years, in which he was
noted alike for his financial ability and his personal integrity. The only surviving member of his family in Aurora
is Mrs. Bradley, born Elizabeth Abell, in Norwich, Conn. Her marriage with Mr. Bradley occurred in 1876, she being
at that time the widow of Edward D. Griffin, to whom she was married in Ohio, removing with him to Illinois in
1858. Mr. Griffin was one of the pioneer insurance men of Illinois, and died in 1875. Mrs. Bradley has resided
in Aurora continuously since 1858.
MYRON BRACKETT, retired farmer, Sugar Grove, Ill., born at Williston, Vt., Oct. 17, 1833; came west in 1844, locating
with his parents in Aurora; removed to Big Rock Township the following year and settled on a farm, where the father
and mother spent the remainder of their days. Myron Brackett followed agricultural pursuits until 1901, when he
removed to Sugar Grove, which has since been his home. He married, in 1858, Miss Susan Hadley, and they reared
a family of twelve children, all of whom were living in 1903.
LORENZO D. BRADY (deceased), pioneer banker, Aurora, Ill., born at New Castle, West Chester County, N. Y., Jan.
19, 1810, son of John B. and Lydia (Kipp) Brady; was reared and educated principally in New York City, where he
became proprietor of a grocery store when nineteen years of age, and later engaged in the wholesale paint and oil
trade in that city; came to Kane County, Ill., in 1837, and established his home on a 700-acre tract of land in
Big Rock Township. From 1840 to 1842 he was associated with George E. Peck in the conduct of a general store at
Little Rock, Ill., and after Mr. Peck's death, in the latter year, he continued to conduct the business until 1848,
when he removed to Aurora, where he engaged in merchandising as a partner of B. R. Allen, but after a few years
conducted this enterprise alone until 1871. Mr. Brady was a Representative in the State Legislature from Kendall
County, and secured the charter for the Aurora Branch Railroad (parent of the present Burlington System), which
was built from Aurora to Turner Junction. He was the organizer of the Aurora Fire Insurance Company and served
as President of the same during its existence; was also one of the founders of the pioneer banking house of Hawkins,
Brady & Allen, and of its successor, the Old First National Bank, and was a bank director for many years. He
was President of the association that erected the Soldiers' Memorial Building, and his interest in building up
the Aurora public school system has been fittingly commemorated by the city in naming one of its principal schools
("The Brady School") in his honor. He was President of the Aurora Board of Trustees while the place was
still a village, and later served as Alderman and Mayor. A member of the Republican party from its organization,
he acted as Chairman of the first Republican Congressional Convention held in Illinois, which met at Aurora in
1854. In 1845 he was married to Miss Caroline Kennon, of Cincinnati, Ohio, who died in Aurora in 1883. Mr. Brady
died Feb. 27, 1892. The surviving members of this pioneer family in Aurora are: Mrs. Sue (Brady) Fishburn, Mrs.
Julia (Brady) Beaupre, Mrs. Lydia (Brady) Smith, Mrs. Marion (Brady) Haring and John L. Brady. The latter, the
only surviving son, is a resident of San Francisco, Cal.
BENJAMIN BRANFORD, retired, Batavia, born in Yarmouth, England, July 5, 1849, son of Richard Branford, came with
his parents to the United States in 1853. They settled at Batavia, and there the son was reared and educated. The
father was a farmer, and Benjamin Branford became the owner of the farm on which his father settled, and was engaged
in its cultivation until 1902, when he removed to a home in Batavia, and has since devoted his attention to the
care of his real estate interests. He has laid out an addition to the city of Batavia which presents promising
features. He was the first man to start the dairy business in Batavia, and for twenty-eight years supplied its
people with milk, in all that time missing only seven days. He belongs to the I. 0. 0. F. In 1896 he married Miss
Mary, daughter of James McMasters, who was postmaster of Batavia for many years. She died in 1899.
WILLIAM C. BRIDGE, M. D., physician and surgeon, Elgin, Ill., born in Cook County, Ill., Jan. 18, 1856; was educated
in public schools and in Elgin Academy; read medicine at Elgin and Dundee; graduated from the Chicago Homeopathic
Medical College in 1886; for a year and a half was an intern in the Cook County Hospital, and subsequently took
a course at the New York Post-Graduate College. In the fall of 1887 he began his private practice in Elgin, and
has there followed his profession up to the present time (1903). For two years he was Lecturer on Surgical Pathology
at the Chicago Homeopathic College. Dr. Bridge was married in January, 1888, to Miss Clara Barrows, daughter of
Martin T. Barrows, of Dundee, Ill.
CHARLES R. BRIGGS, Assistant Postmaster, Batavia, Ill., was born in Batavia, Sept. 6, 1860, son of J. H.
and Maria (Hopkins) Briggs, received his education in the home schools, and as a boy he learned the iron-molder's
trade. In 1889 he was appointed Assistant Postmaster of Batavia, and served four years under that appointment.
In 1897 he was again appointed to the same position, which he is now filling. He is a member of the Masonic Order
and is Master of Batavia Lodge, No. 404.
LEONARD R. BRIGHAM, M. D. (deceased), born in Lake County, Ohio, was educated in Farmington Institute, Ohio, and
began practice at Thompson, Ohio, in 1843. From 1847 to 1850 he practiced his Profession at Painesville, Ohio,
and in 1860 removed to Aurora, Ill., where he pursued his profession until his death, becoming widely known by
his lectures on Anatomy, Physiology, Hygiene and kindred topics.
ALBERT M. BROWN (deceased), merchant, Aurora, born in Van Etten, Chemung County, N. Y., Sept. 22, 1837, son of
Hiram and Polly (Meeker) Brown, both of New England lineage; received a public school education and a training
for the mercantile trade in a general store at Freemansburg, N. Y.; in 1856 came west and established his home
in Aurora, where he was connected with the hardware house of Titsworth & Son. Enlisting in the Union Army in
April, 1861, he was mustered into Company C, Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, for three months. Then, returning
to Aurora, he was employed as clerk for a few months by his former employer, Mr. Titsworth. In 1862 he went into
the creamery business, still later was again a clerk, but in 1871 engaged in farming, which he followed several
years. In 1879 he became a partner in the shoe store of J. H. Thompson, of Aurora, and in 1883 became sole owner
of the establishment. He soon had a large boot and shoe trade, which he retained until his retirement. In a small
way he had an interest in the grocery trade. For many years he was Secretary and Treasurer of the Edison Incandescent
Electric Light Company of Aurora, and was associated with other enterprises of a semi-public character. He was
a member of the Board of Aldermen and belonged to the G. A. R., the I. 0. 0. F. and other fraternal organizations.
Mr. Brown died May 28, 1900. The surviving members of his family are his widow (Mrs. Brown) and children - Fay
W., Anna G. and Ray A. Mrs. Brown was born at Naperville, Ill., daughter of Urbin and Octavia (Crampton) Stanley,
who were among the earliest settlers of DuPage County.
CORNELL H. BROWN, postmaster, Batavia, Ill., born in Batavia May 24, 1853, son of Rufus J. and Aurelia (McDaniels)
Brown, pioneer settlers of Kane County; was educated in the local schools, and became a clerk in the Batavia post
office when he was about fourteen years of age, a Position which he held until about 1878. He was later in the
Railway Mail Service, but retired in 1882 to accept a position with the Van Nortwick Paper Company, remaining with
that concern until 1896. As trustee of the Van Nortwick estate he spent five years in settling its affairs. For
a time he was Cashier of the Citizens' Bank of Batavia, and was one of the reorganizers of the bank prior to its
consolidation with the First National Bank of Batavia. For two terms he served as Mayor of Batavia, beginning in
1897. In 1900 President McKinley appointed him Postmaster at Batavia, and he is still (1903) holding that position.
Mr. Brown is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., the K. P., and the M. W. of A. In 1879 he married Miss Florence S. Starkey,
FREDERICK BROWN, Justice of the Peace, Aurora, Ill. born at Hudson, Ohio, Jan. 10, 1828; came to Illinois in 1855,
locating in Aurora in 1873; practiced law for a time, and was elected Justice of the Peace in 1881, having held
that office continuously since. Mr. Brown was married in 1855 to Jane M. Groat, who died in 1876. Two of their
children are still living, viz., Mrs Jennie W. Otis and Mrs. Hattie L. Lougee, both of Minneapolis, Minn.
JOHN BROWN, lawyer, Elgin, Ill., born in Genoa, DeKalb County, Ill., Jan. 1, 1849; educated in the public schools
of Sycamore, Ill., and at Hillsdale College (Hillsdale, Mich.) graduated from the Union College of Law, Chicago,
in 1877; practiced his profession in DeKalb County until 1893, when he became a member of the Elgin bar and has
since practiced in that city. He was married in 1871 to Miss Juliet Strong, who died in 1898, leaving the following
named children Sarah Juliet, John Lincoln and Agnes.
JULIUS G. BROWN, manufacturer, Batavia, Ill., born at Wysox, Bradford County, Pa., April 26, 1827; grew to manhood
in the Keystone State, where he also received his educational training; came to Illinois in 1857, locating first
at DeKalb, where he was engaged in the lumber trade and interested in the manufacture of sash, blinds and doors;
removed to Batavia in 1860, and continued the same line of manufacturing until 1862, when he suspended business
operations and enlisted in the Union Army. He enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, and served until 1865, being mustered out at Vicksburg, Miss. Returning from the war, he was interested
in the manufacture of sash, blinds and doors at North Aurora until 1901, when he retired from active business.
He married, in 1850, Mary I. Griswold, who died in 1900, and their only living child is Miss Amelia F. Brown, who
has long been connected with the public schools of Batavia.
CHARLES O. BRYANT (deceased), undertaker, Elburn, Ill., born in Wayne County, N. Y., Dec. 7, 1812, and coming to
Illinois at an early day; for five years conducted business as a carpenter and builder also bought a farm near
Elburn, on which he was engaged for ten years or more. He then moved to Elburn, where he began wagon-making, and
opened the pioneer undertaking establishment in that region, which he conducted until his death, Oct. 24, 1874.
He was married Aug. 23, 1845, to Miss Esther E., daughter of Harry C. and Hannah (Richards) Hotchkiss. He was an
active member of the Methodist Church and helped build the first church in Elgin.
ANSON J. BUCK. Carpentersville, Postmaster and noted veteran of the Civil War, was horn in Hannibal, N. Y., Feb.
17, 1832, and his parents moved to Bloomingdale, Du Page County, Ill., in 1838. From there they moved to St. Charles,
and later to Burlington Township, coming in 1857 to Dundee. Mr. Buck attended the common schools of the county,
and as a boy worked on a farm. In 1862 he enlisted in the Union Army, and after serving nearly three years in the
Fifty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was mustered out at Washington, D. C., May 1, 1865. He returned to Carpentersville
after the war, and has made that place his home to the present time. For some years he was a traveling salesman
for the Atlantic Flour Mills, and for four years was Deputy Sheriff of Kane County under Sheriff Kelcey, serving
a like period in the same position under Sheriff Robert Burke. For four years he was Post master at Carpentersville
by appointment from President Harrison, and in 1897 was appointed to the same position by President McKinley, and
is meeting its responsibilities and duties to the eminent satisfaction of the office patrons.
A. C. BUCKLIN (deceased), farmer, Dundee. Ill., born in North Adams, Mass., Oct. 20, 1823; came to Illinois when
fourteen years of age with his mother and sisters and located at Dundee. His mother purchased 200 acres of government,
land east of Dundee, which came into his possession at the time of her death. Mr. Bucklin was married to Miss Julia
S. Jencks, of Dundee, Ill., and two of their children are now living, viz.: Henry I. and Mrs. Francis Burks. Mr.
Bucklin died July 9, 1900.
ROBERT BURKE, Aurora, Sheriff of Kane County, was born Oct. 28, 1859, in Paterson, N. J., son of William
and Ellen (Donnelly) Burke, natives of County Wexford, Ireland, who came to this country in 1848. In 1869 the family
removed to Illinois, and Robert fin-ished his education in the city schools of Aurora, beginning his apprenticeship
at the machinist's trade when only thirteen years of age. In 1888 he was one of the charter members of the "Creamer
Lodge of Machinists." In 1889 and 1890 he was a member of the Aurora Board of Aldermen, and in 1891 was elected
Assistant Supervisor in the County Board, filling that office for four years. In 1894 he was chosen Sheriff of
Kane County, and during his four years term inaugurated various reforms of a character that contributed materially
to the resources of the county. In 1900 he was appointed State Food Inspector, and filled that office until the
end of 1902, when he again assumed the Sheriffs position, to which he had been elected by a flattering vote. He
is a Republican, and is one of the in influential younger members of the party in Kane County.
JAMES E. BUMSTEAD, physician, Dundee, Ill., born in Dundee Township, Kane County, in 1848; educated in the public
schools of Dundee, Elgin Academy and University of Illinois, graduating from the latter institution in 1877, and
from the medical department, Northwestern University (Chicago), in the class of 1880; has conducted a successful
medical practice at Dundee since the latter year. The Doctor is a member of the American Medical Association and
the Fox River Valley Association. He was married in 1881 to Miss Justina A. Pingree, of Evanston, Ill.
D. E. BURLINGAME, physician and surgeon, Elgin, Ill., born at Adams, Mass., June 8, 1844 educated in his native
city, and came west in 1865, locating first in LaSalle County, Ill., but removed to Elgin a few months later; graduated
from the Chicago Medical College in 1869, and immediately afterwards began practicing his profession in Elgin,
which he has continued to the present time (1903). Doctor Burlingame was married in 1870 to Miss Sarah A. Winchester,
ATWELL BURR (deceased), pioneer farmer, Campton Township, Kane County, Ill., born Oct. 6, 1796; came to Illinois
in May, 1836, locating on a farm in Campton Township, where he died April 17, 1852. Mrs. Burr died at La Fox, Ill.,
Dec. 13, 1881.
PETER BURRITT (deceased), formerly a resident of Hanover, Cook County, Ill., was born at Amsterdam, N. Y., .Jan.
17, 1816, the oldest son of Benjamin and Kate (Noonan) Burritt, and a relative of the celebrated linguist, Elihu
Burritt. Before attaining his majority he had learned the blacksmith's trade, but in early life, having caught
the Western fever, in 1836 came to Illinois by way of the Erie Canal to Buffalo, and by the lakes to Chicago, taking
passage on the "Constitution," one of the first. vessels to make the hazardous voyage to the Western
metropolis. From Chicago he journeyed westward on foot to the beautiful Fox River valley. The following year (1837)
his father, Benjamin Burritt, came to Illinois with his family, making the trip overland with team and wagon. After
their arrival here Mr. Burritt and his father bought considerable land from the Government, lo-cated about two
miles east of Elgin on the banks of Poplar Creek, and here the son built a shop and worked at his trade as a blacksmith
while improving his farm. The Burritt place was widely known among the pioneers. About 1848 the father with his
family moved to Elgin, where he long filled the office of Justice of the Peace and other public positions. Peter
Burritt continued to reside upon his farm during his life, but early began to acquire property in the city. He
was a business man rather than a farmer, and possessed a keen sense of values which seldom deceived him. He was
a man of industry, economy and conservative judgment; his Integrity was unquestioned, and his word was as good
as a bond. He was a stockholder of the Elgin National Watch Company, as well as interested in other industrial
enterprises, and was for many years a director of the Elgin Packing Company and the Home National Bank. In 1847
he married Miss Henrietta Hackerodt, daughter of a pioneer hotel-keeper whose hostelry stood by the State road,
near Salt Creek, southeast of Meacham's Grove. For many years before her death, in 1884, Mrs. Burritt was a helpless
invalid. During the fifteen years of her illness Mr. Burritt was absent from home but one night, and the nurse
who attended her for three years declared him the kindest husband in Illinois. It can be truly said that those
who knew him best loved him most. He married for his second wife Miss Rebecca McBride, daughter of Thomas Mc-Bride,
of Elgin. Mr. Burritt was an extensive traveler, and with his wife acquired an unusual fund of information regarding
many parts of the world. He died at San Francisco, Cal., June 2, 1892.
GEORGE H. BURNETT, merchant and City Clerk, Batavia, Ill., born in Batavia March 7, 1870, son of John and Frances
(Ballard) Burnett, her father being a native of England, and the mother of Batavia. Educated in the Batavia schools
and trained to mercantile life. George H. has taken an active part in city and county affairs, and up to the present
time (1903) has served ten years as City Clerk of Batavia. He is owner and manager of the undertaking establishment
of George H. Burnett & Co. In Masonry he is an advanced member, belonging to Aurora Temple, Fox River Chapter,
Royal Arch, and is Senior Warden of Batavia Lodge, No. 404, A. F. & A. M. He belongs also to Rowena Lodge,
No. 535. K.P., and to the M. W. A. He was married, Feb. 5, 1896, to Miss Charlotte Maud Spencer, of Watervliet,
JOHN BURROWS,. farmer, Batavia, Ill., born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1849, was brought to the United States
by his parents in 1853, and grew to manhood in Kane County, Ill., where he was given a public school education.
He began farming while yet a boy, and continued that occupation until 1902, when he removed to Batavia, where his
home is still located. In 1877 he married Miss Jane E., daughter of Asa B. and Amanda (McKee) Knapp, of Maple Park.
LESTER M. BURROUGHS, physician, Batavia, Ill., born in Portage County, Ohio, Sept. 25. 1820, son of Daniel Burroughs,
Jr., and grandson of Daniel Burroughs, Sr., the latter a soldier in the War of the Revolution. Lester M. obtained
his early education in the Ohio to schools, finishing in the Kane County schools, whither his parents removed in
1836. He read medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. Waldo at Kenosha. Wis., and later with Dr. Gardner at Blackberry,
Kane County, in 1846. A prominent position among the pioneer physicians of Kane County was assured him, and his
practice covered a wide territory. In 1861 he established his home in Batavia, where he continuously practiced
medicine until 1903, his practice being very large, not only in the city but throughout the adjacent country. His
active professional life covered a period of fifty four years, and he is the dean of the medical profession in
the Fox River valley. In 1849 he married Miss Elmira, daughter of David and Judith Wheeler, pioneers of Kane County.
AMOS BURTON, retired merchant, Batavia, Ill., born in Manchester, England, Aug. 7, 1849, and came with his parents
to Batavia, Ill., when about three years of age; engaged in merchandising in Batavia In early manhood, being thus
engaged until about 1888. having since devoted his attention principally to farming, making a specialty of dairy
farming and stock-raising; is also interested in manufacturing enterprises at Batavia. Mr. Burton has been twice
married, first to Miss Mary E. Van Nortwick, and after her death, Miss Maud S. Sloan, of Nebraska City, Neb. His
children are John Van Nortwick, Amy L. and Don S.
BENJAMIN BURTON, Geneva, Ill., born in Kendall County, Ill., In 1840; went to Chicago in 1842, and removed to Geneva
after the Chicago fire in 1871, and has since resided in that city; was connected with the "Charles Pope Glucose
Company" up to the time of its purchase by the Corn Products Company in 1902.
CHARLES P. BURTON, journalist and State Printer Expert, Aurora, Ill., born in Anderson, Ind., March 7, 1862; came
to Aurora In 1874; began his business career in the office of the 'Aurora Herald," a weekly paper published
by his father, and was interested In newspaper work In Aurora until February, 1903; was appointed by Governor Yates,
In June, 1901, State Printer Expert; was married in 1887 to Miss Cora Vreeland, of Michigan.
JOHN BURTON, manufacturer and inventor, Chicago, Ill., born in Kendall County, Ill., in 1838; reared and educated
in Chicago. In 1880, with other gentlemen, he founded the "Geneva Grape Sugar Company," which later became
the "Charles Pope Glucose Company." This corporation developed one of the largest industries of its kind
In the West, operating plants both at Geneva and Venice, Ill. Later Mr. Burton became interested in other lines
of manufacture, making his home in Chicago.
J. W. BUTLER wholesale merchant, 216 Monroe street, Chicago, was born in Essex, Vt., May 7, 1828, son of Zebediah
and Esther (Morris) Butler, was reared in his native State and given a good education in its schools. In the fall
of 1848 he came to St. Charles, Ill., whither his father had preceded him, and entered the store of Butler &
Hunt, the former being his brother. About a year later, in company with George Ferson, he bought out the business
and became the head of the mercantile firm of Butler & Ferson, which continued until 1854, when Mr. Butler
removed to Chicago to take charge of the salesrooms of the St. Charles Paper Company. In 1858 he became the head
of the J. W. Butler Paper Company, wholesale paper dealers. This firm was incorporated as the J. W. Butler Paper
Company In 1875; with Mr. Butler as Vice-President and Treasurer. In 1877 he was made President of the company,
a position which he still retains. Mr. Butler was married in May, 1858, to Miss Julia Ann Osgood, of St. Charles.
Return to Main Index Page