Illinois Genealogy Trails

Kane County, IL Cemeteries

View Cemetery Map

Feature Name

Latitude

Longitude

Location 1

Abandoned Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Virgil Township - Section 26
Formerly located on the SE corner of Beith and Francis Roads. It was several hundred feet from the roads, perhaps where the hill peaks. The area is now cleared for agriculture. This cemetery may have been moved. A Charles Reed owned the property in 1872.

Anderson Cemetery
(no longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Campton Township - Section 18
Formerly located about 500 feet north of I.C. Trail east of Lily Lake. The township line between Campton and Virgil townships is marked by a fence row. The cemetery was formerly located on the east side of the fence row, and there remains a few bushes (in 1986) about the general area where it once was . The interments were removed and taken to Lily Lake Cemetery before 1934. A stone fragment from the old site was discovered by a farmer who owned the property on the Virgil Township side, and he buried it behind his barn.

Aurand Cemetery
aka Old German
aka Pigeon Woods

Unknown Unknown Hampshire Township - Section 14
Located north of Kelley Road .5 mile west of Ketchum Road. To get to it follow a farm lane north from Kelley Road through some abandoned farm buildings and an old silo, and continue on into the area of the cemetery. This was a cemetery formerly next to an old road and a German Evangelical Church whose membership had come to the area from Ohio. By 1975 the cemetery was reduced to two piles of stones. In the spring of 1976 John Hermann set the old stones in cement into two neat rows to serve as a memorial for the old German settlers. The grounds are much more expansive than the area the memorial sits on, and depressions where old graves were remain in evidence. The earliest noted interment is 1850.

Aurora Township Cemetery
aka Potter's Field

Unknown Unknown Aurora Township
Located on the east side of St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery. Earliest Interment is 1904.

Baldwin Family Cemetery
(no longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Campton Township - Section 18
Formerly on what are now the premises of the Kane County Garage, located on the corner of Burlington and Empire Roads. The Baldwin family had their own burying place, and after the family died out the later occupants removed the fence around the cemetery and later the stones. The site is said to be under a cinder pile.

Blackberry Cemetery

415259N 0882818W Blackberry Township - Section 5
On south edge of Elburn at Northeast corner of Route 47 & Keslinger Road. Presently (1986) the only active cemetery in the township. Earliest interment is 1832.

Broadway and Clark Cemetery
(no longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Aurora Township
Known to have once existed at this intersection. Was probably moved to accommodate the Burlington R.R.

Buena Vista Cemetery

420901N 0882208W Rutland Cemetery - Section 1
Located on the east side of Schumacher Road .2 mile north of Huntley Road. It is a small, abandoned cemetery, and the stones have experienced some vandalism. It has quite a variety of weeds and wildflowers. The earliest noted interment is 1838.

Burlington Cemetery

420250N 0883218W Burlington Township - Section 10
Located in town, at the intersection of Water and South Streets (Peplow Road). Earliest Interment is 1842.

Calvary Cemetery

414649N 0881858W Aurora Township
Located on east side of Route 31 (Lake St.) south of intersection of Indian Trail Road. Primarily Irish Catholic cemetery with the earliest interment in 1852.

Campton Cemetery

415437N 0882403W ? [GNIS]

Campton Hills Farm Cemetery

aka Beatty Family
(no longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Campton Township - Section 21
Located formerly on the NW corner of the original Campton Hills farm west of Town Hall Road about half way between Rout 64 and Campton Hills Road. The old site is presently (1986) a barren area awaiting subdivision. The cemetery seems to have been moved. Residents remember the last readable stone as being Hannah (Hackett) Beatty, wife of John (before the stone was carried off by a tenant who took a liking to it). Hannah can now be found at the Garfield Cemetery.

Channing Street Cemetery
(no longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Elgin Township Section 13
Formerly located in Elgin on the SE corner of DuPage and Channing Streets. This was formerly the cemetery for the city of Elgin. Commencing in 1889, the premises went through a series of upheavals as movements to make the Bluff City Cemetery (in Cook County) the cemetery for the city took shape and went into action. That year the land for Bluff City was purchased. Shortly afterwards lot owners were contacted and told that they were to have their family remains moved out of Channing, yet new interments continued there until about 1906 when they were terminated completely. By about 1910 the cemetery had deteriorated into a weed-infested field, and many of the stones had fallen to the ground and were barely visible. In 1920 the monument commemorating those who served during the wars was removed to Bluff City. The Armistice Day services were switched to Bluff City, and the fate of Channing was sealed. Construction equipment had been moved in to re-landscape the area in 1915 well before the bodies had been completely removed (they were moved out of Channing as late as 1947). We know that many bodies were left to be moved from their places by the bulldozers. Elgin residents who were children then living in the neighborhood testify to seeing the heavy equipment break up the old boxes scattering the remains everywhere. The remains were evidenced by the children playing on the mounds of dirt.
Those interments which were removed were mostly taken to Bluff Street Cemetery, and lesser numbers to Mt. Hope Cemetery, and a very few to Lakewood Memorial Park. The Channing Grade School now occupies the former cemetery site on its NW corner. To the east are tennis courts and a ball diamond cut out of the hills. There are a few broken stones, monument supports, and stone supports in evidence. Also there are areas where mounds and depressions exist which resemble old gravesites. Two stones remain around the perimeters of the old site. In the SE corner there is a single stone surrounded by four black metal posts and only the date (28 Feb. 1895 age 28) is readable. Another stone marked only "Darling Billie" also exists. It is said that a house in the neighborhood has a patio made up of discarded stones from Channing.

Cholera Victim

Unknown Unknown Campton Township - Section 10
Located on the property belonging to the Kane County Garage not far from the site of the old Baldwin Family Cemetery. There is buried a young girl who had died of cholera and whose family was westward bound on a wagon train. It was located on the lot line of the earliest property the county had purchased. The grave had been marked only by a field stone, and the farmer who owned the property where the grave was located used to plow around it. In the 1950's a man from the Northwest visited the area looking for the grave and failed to locate it because he didn't find a person who knew where it was.

Diphtheria Victims
(No longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Virgil Township - Section 13
Located on the south side of I.C. Trail west of the Virgil-Camptan town line formerly stood a farmhouse. In 1871 it was owned by a J. Wilson. Out in the field in back of it was said to be buried three children who died of "black diphtheria". The house no longer remains. The former site is now marked by some large cottonwood trees.

Doty Cemetery

420624N 0882926W Hampshire Township - Section 24
Located on the NE corner of Allen and Ketchum Roads. Many members of the Allen and Doty families are buried here along with others living in the area. The earliest noted interment is 1845.

Dundee Township East Cemetery

420543N 0881522W Dundee Township - Section 25
Located in East Dundee on the NE corner of Illinois Route 25 and Illinois Route 72. Although it is more ethnically variable than the West cemetery, it is still predominately German-speakers; some of the older stones being in that language. The earliest noted interment is 1879.

Dundee Township West Cemetery

420609N 0881716W Dundee Township - Section 22
Located in West Dundee on the NW side of Western Avenue (Illinois Route 31) between Kane Ave. in West Dundee and Hillside Street in Carpentersville. Ethnically most interments are of German-speakers, many of the older stones are in German. The earliest noted interment is 1818(?).

E B Wright Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Plato Township - Section 30
Located .5 mile south of Ellithorpe Road and .1 mile east of Burlington Road and .25 mile west of Pease Road. There is one stone here in a clump of trees with associated scattered trees.

East Aurora Cemetery
aka Root Street

414525N 0881813W Aurora Township - Section 22
Located on the south edge of the Central Catholic High School. Accessed by a path from Flagg St. Mass burial site of Irish workers who had come to Aurora to work on the railroad. Earliest Interment is 1843

Eastside Cemetery

415141N 0881821W Batavia Township - Section 15
Located on the north-end of Batavia on the east side of Route 25. Bound on the north by Douglas Road. Earliest interment: 1835

Elgin State Hospital Cemetery

420106N 0881755W Elgin Township - Section 23
Located on the grounds of the Elgin State Hospital west of the buildings. Enter the grounds from Route 31, find Middle Drive and follow it toward the water tower, then tkae the dirt road which leads to the north of the tower westward. Beyond the tower the fourth road on the right leads to the cemetery. This is a private cemetery for the use of the hospital. The graves are arranged in long, neat rows with uniform markers. They revea the name of the deceased, thE date of death and the number of interment, which start in 1933.

Evans Stone
aka Elijah Evans Cemetery

Unknown Unknown St. Charles Township - Section 19
Located west of Burr Oak Road well away from the road is the grave of Elijah Evans. It is marked with an engraved boulder.

Ford Baker Cemetery
- no longer exists -

Unknown Unknown Blackberry Township - Section 13
Formerly located on the NW corner of Bartlet and Kaneville Roads, on one of two peaks on the hill. It was in the memory of one who grew up in the area, but the stones have long since disappeared. J.R. Baker and H.L. Ford were early landowners living adjacent to the cemetery.

Fowler('s) Grove Cemetery

414358N 0883310W Big Rock Township - Section 33
Located on the SE side of Granart Road between Jericho and Base Line Roads. Much vandalized. Earliest Interment is 1842.

French Cemetery
aka Sacred Heart

414353N 0882003W Aurora Township
Located in Montgomery on west side of Route 25, south of intersection with Sherman Ave. It's a small cemetery of mostly French burials. Earliest interment 1870

Gardner Cemetery

415338N 0883430W Kaneville Township - Section 5
Located on the south side of Illinois Route 38 between Schrader and Watson Roads and a short distance west of Howard Road. The researcher can suspect that many persons who resided in Virgil Township were buried here. The earliest noted interment is 1843.

Garfield Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Campton Township - Section 35
Located east of Wasco across from the old Garfield Tavern historical site on the east side of Garfield Road which is between Beith Road and Rout e38. The earliest noted interment is 1848

Girls' School Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Section 11 - Located on the east side of Illinois Route 25. - This is a private cemetery located on the grounds of the Illinois State Training School for Girls which was closed
several years ago. At this writing (1986) there is no access to the cemetery.

Hampshire Center Cemetery

420637N 0883212W Hampshire Township - Sections 16 and 21
Located north of Hampshire on the west side of Harmony Road between Allen and Kelley Roads. This is the township's largest cemetery and is ethnically mostly German speakers. The earliest noted interment is 1846.

Hormann Stone Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Dundee Township - Section 23
In East Dundee on the 24th of September of 1977, a stone was unearthed by workmen who were preparing to lay sidewalk "down the street from the Anvil Club", a probable allusion to the sidewalk which runs the full length of the west side of the 300 block of N. 3rd Street. The stone seems to predate the organization of the East Dundee Cemetery. It is inscribed "Wilhelmina, daughter of A.F. Hormann, d 19 Dec. 1874, age 5 days"

Indian Cemetery
aka Mann Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Burlington Township - Section 10
Located on the southwest side of Burlington Road, .35 mile south of the railroad tracks. As one is leaving Burlington there is a triangular patch of dense trees and undergrowth approximately across the road from an artificial pond. A single stone lies ont he ground along the fence. The date of the interment is 1844.

Indian Mounds

Unknown Unknown Blackberry Township - Sections 9 and 10
The mounds are on the grounds of the Seventh Day Adventist camp and the Brookview School located in the southeast corner, north of their garbage dumpa nd are barely discernible from the deep grass and small trees.

Jericho Cemetery

414323N 0882815W Sugar Grove Township - Section 32
Located on the east side of Mighel Road a short distance north of Base Line Road. It formerly was next to an old church. The earliest noted interment is 1837.

Kaneville Cemetery

415014N 0883103W Kaneville Township - Section 23
Located on the east edge of Kaneville on the north side of Main Street (Batavia) This is the largest cemetery in the township. The earliest noted interment is 1840.

Knight Stone Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Kaneville Township - Section 26
Located on the east side of Corron Road just north of Sturbridge Way. There is a hill which is next to a pit from which sand and gravel has been removed. NE of the pit is the remnants of the cemetery. Only one stone remains with an inscription. Part of a top of yet another stone remains suggesting that there were other interments there, also numerous fragments of rough limestone markers. In 1980 at the bottom of the pit was found a human female femur. The date of the remaining stone is 1872.

Lance - Souders Family Cemetery

415005N 0882713W Blackberry Township - Section 28 (or 29)
Located on the east side of Green Road, approx. midway between Main Street Road (Batavia) and Route 47. Difficult to see from the road, and one must cross a small field to get to it. Most of the interments are of the Lance and Souders families, plus a few other persons. It is remembered that a cholera victim from North Aurora was buried there one midnight, the identity of the person has been lost. Earliest Interment is 1836

Lily Lake Cemetery

415712N 0882838W Campton Township - Section 7
Located on the north end of Lily Lake on the east side of Route 47. The earliest noted interment is 1845.

Little Woods Cemetery

415829N 0881557W St. Charles Township - Section 1
Located on the east side of Dunham Road a short distance south of Stearns Road and the railroad tracks. This would be one of the county's nicest cemeteries. The earliest noted interment is 1838.

L. R. Baker Cemetery

415916N 0882830W Plato Township - Section 31 - Located on the NW side of the bend on Illinois Route 47 .25 mile SW of Burlington Road. It is probable that this cemetery was created by the moving of other local cemeteries and grave sites, for the old maps of the county do
not show it. It is very orderly and well-kept, the stones are in unusually good condition. The earliest noted interment is 1842.

Logan Stone

Unknown Unknown Elgin Township - Section 14
Located in the city of Elgin on the premises of 270 Vincent Place. The date of the interment is 1882.

Marmion Academy

414851N 0881756W Batavia Township - Section 35
Located on the grounds of Marmion Academy on the west end off of Route 56. There are 23 stones (as of 1986) of Catholic clergy. Earliest interment: 1955

Marywood
aka Annunciation Cemetery

414737N 0881730W Aurora Township - Section 11
Located in unincorporated Big Woods at the intersection of Church and Molitor Roads. Catholic cemetery, with older stones in German. Earliest Interment is 1874

McKellar Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Plato Township - Section 35
Located on the east side of Crawford Road .2 mile north of McDonald Road. It is located on top of a pronounced mound with a mature burr oak facing the road. The stones are down, broken up, and stepped upon by cattle. The earliest noted interment is 1850.

Milnamow Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Kaneville Township - Section 9
Located on the SE corner of Keslinger and Watson Roads. This cemetery may be a forerunner to St. Mary's Cemetery located in DeKalb County. The stones that remain have been moved from their original positions to a small area. The earliest noted interment is 1850.

Mooseheart Cemetery

unknown unknown Batavia Township - Section 33
Private cemetery on the grounds of mooseheart at intersection of 5th and D St.

Mt. Olivet Cemetery

414424N 0881925W Aurora Township - Section 28
Across from Spring Lake Memorial Gardens, bound by Lincoln and Ashland ave. Largest Catholic cemetery, with many German and Irish burials, with some French, Italian, Slavs and Hispanics. Earliest Interment is 1854

New Hampshire Settlement
aka Stewart Cemetery

415547N 0882848W Campton Township - Seciton 30
Located between Lily Lake and Elburn on the west side of Route 47 between Beith Road and Route 38. Infrequently used and subject to vandalism. The earliest noted interment is 1848.

North Cemetery

415542N 0881839W St. Charles Township - Section 27
Located in St. Charles on the west side of Fifth Avenue (Route 25). This is one of the two larger cemeteries for the city of St. Charles. The earliest noted interment is probably 1838, though a Jones monument shows persons dying as early as 1817.

North Plato Cemetery

420318N 0882733W Plato Township - Section 8
Located east of North Plato on the NW side of Plank Road .5 mile east of Illinois Route 47. The earliest interments are Yankees, but as German settlers replaced the Yankee population over the years it has become primarily a Lutheran cemetery. The older stones have been badly defaced from vandalism. The earliest noted interment is 1846.

Norton Mausoleum

unknown unknown Campton Township - Section 24
Located east of Wasco on the NE corner of Route 64 and Burlington road, on private property. The earliest noted interment is 1844.

Oak Hill Cemetery

415347N 0881750W Geneva Township - Section 2
In Geneva on the east side of Bennett Street (Route 25) generally between Division Street and Woodward Avenue. This cemetery is much larger than Stevens and is used by Geneva's large Swedish population. The earliest noted interment is 1846.

Old Saint Mary's Cemetery

415246N 0883340W Kaneville Township - (GNIS)

Old Stark's Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Rutland Township - Section 30
Located on the west edge of Stark. It is a triangular area on the west side of Thurnau Road (which (in 1986) is in reality a dirt trail), south of the railroad tracks and a short distance north of Illinois Route 72. The earliest noted interment is 1838.

Patrick Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Virgil Township - Section 8
Formerly located on the south side of Illinois Route 64 near its intersection with Snyder Road. The sight is presently occupied by some small and very new farm buildings The four stones were found to be moved across the road to the farmhouse, being used for a step-up to the back porch and to help landscape the strawberry patch. The earliest noted interment is 1851.

Plain Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Campton Township - Section 5
Located on the NE side of Burlington Road .5 mile SE of Route 47. Hidden from view from the road, it is situated on the SE side of a house on the uppermost point of a sloping hill. The stones which remain are broken and mostly illegible. It is said that the servicemen who were buried there were later moved to nearby Baker Cemetery in Plato township. The earliest noted interment is 1846

Plato Center Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Plato Township - Section 22
Located east of Plato Center on the SE corner of Russell and Muirhead Roads. There are no large cemeteries in Plato Township yet if one was designated to be the largest, this would be the one. The earliest noted interment is 1846.

Poor Farm Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Geneva Township - Section 11
Located south of Geneva on Fabyan Parkway north and away from the road presently found to be on the east end of the parking lot for the Kane County Jail and bound on the east by the Settler's Park. It is a rectangular section of waste area with small trees, sumac, tiger lilies, and deep grass. Only numbered markers have been noted with no identifiable stones. The ground and underfooting is very uneven. After extensive searching no written records for the cemetery have been found.

Prairie Cemetery
aka Foley Cemetery

415755N 0882056W St. Charles Township - Section 8
Located east of Crane Road .3 mile south of Silver Glen Road. It is small, highly vandalized, and infrequently used in this century. The earliest noted interment is 1849.

Reed Cemetery
(No longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Virgil Township - Section 11 - Formerly located east of Virgil on the south side of I. C. Trail, just east of the bend in the road and the drainage ditch. It was moved about 1960 to the Blackberry Cemetery. The original site has been cleared for agriculture. Sections of the old fence and bases of the old stones are in evidence along the side of the road (as of 1986)

Resurrection Catholic Cemetery

415157N 0882043W Geneva Township - Section 17
Located on the north side of Fabyan Parkway .25 mile west of Randall Road. This is a very new Catholic cemetery used by people from many ethnic groups. The earliest noted interment is 1941

River Hill Memorial Park

414947N 0881831W Batavia Township - Section 27
Located on the east side of Route 25 by Banbury Road. Earliest interment: 1941

River Valley Memorial Gardens

420435N 0881719W Dundee Township - Section 34
Located between West Dundee and Elgin on the east side of Illinois Route 31 about .5 mile north of the 1-90 tollway. A cemetery of the new memorial garden concept and only a small part of the grounds is presently utilized. It is ethnically variable but German-speakers predominate. The earliest noted interment is 1949.

Riverside Cemetery

414400N 0882012W Aurora Township - Section 33
Located in Montgomery. Bound by Riverside Drive, the Fox River, Washington adn Main Streets. Expanded in 1900 to include German and Scandinavian burials. Earliest Interment is 1847

Round Grove Cemetery

Unknown Unknown St. Charles Township - Section 24
Located on the north side of Moseley Lane .4 mile east of Dunham Road. The remains of this cemetery are approximately fifty feet from the north end of the wood lot in the center of the area. The earliest noted interment is 1850.

Saint Charles Borromeo Catholic Cemetery

420448N 0883144W Hampshire Township - Section 34
Located south of Hampshire on the east side of Getzelman Road .5 mile south of Illinois Route 72. This is a Catholic cemetery ethnically divided rather equally between German-speakers and Irish. The earliest noted interment is 1877.

Saint Gall Catholic Cemetery

415358N 0882819W Campton Township - Section 32
Located on the north edge of Elburn on the east side of Route 47, .5 mile south of Route 38. Mostly Irish interments. The earliest noted interment is 1873

Saint Joseph Catholic Cemetery

414711N 0881843W Aurora Township - Section 10
Located in unincorporated Aurora twp on east side of Route 25 (Aurora Rd) between E. Sullivan and E. Indian Trails Roads. German and some Slavic burials, with earliest interment 1890

Saint Mary's Catholic Cemetery

420519N 0882139W Rutland Township - Section 25
Located on the west side of Tyrrell Road .1 mile south of Interstate 90. This Irish Catholic cemetery has fallen victim to much vandalism, especially to the stones away from the road. The earliest noted interment is 1849.

Saint Michael Cemetery

414645N 0881825W Aurora Township - Section 15
Located at southeast intersection of Route 25 and Mitchell Road. Romanian cemetery with many stones in that language. Earliest interment is 1916

Saint Nicholas Catholic Cemetery

414527N 0881725W Aurora Township - Section 23
Bound by Ohio, Fenton and Kane Streets. Catholic cemetery with German burials. Earliest Interment is 1863

Saint Paul's Catholic Cemetery

414340N 0881904W Aurora Township? (GNIS)

Saint Paul's Lutheran

    Aurora Township - Section 34
on border of Montgomery on southeast intersection of Montgomery Road and Douglas St. Many German burials. Earliest interment 1888.

Schroeder Cemetery
(no longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Dundee Township - Section 19
Located on the north side of Illinois Route 72 on the west end of the property belonging to the Dundee Middle School. It is a rectangular area of deep grass and scattered large trees. No stones have been noted there from 1951. The property was owned by F. Schroeder in 1871 and by J. Fierke in 1890.

"Soldier Boy" Stone

Unknown Unknown Plato Township - Section 9
Located on a hill in a clump of trees on the 5W side of a house located on the SW corner of Plank and Barr Roads. The name of the deceased is gone from the stone, but the surviving inscriptions indicate he was a soldier. In 1871 the farm where
the house stands was owned by a John S. Durand.

Solfisburg Memorial Park

414600N 0881733W North Aurora Area? (GNIS)

South Burlington Cemetery

415857N 0883435W Burlington Cemetery - Section 32
Located on the north side of Ramm Road near its intersection with Snyder Road. The earliest noted interment is 1849

South Cemetery

415432N 0881807W St. Charles Township - Section 34
Located in St. Charles on the east side of 7th Avenue and north of Langum Park. Being old and relatively secluded it has suffered from neglect and vandalism. The earliest noted interment is 1815(?).

South Elgin Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Elgin Township - Section 36
Located east of South Elgin south of Middle Street and away from the road. The access road entry lies just east of Gordon Lane. The earliest noted interment is 1831.

Spring Lake Memorial Gardens

414430N 0881928W Aurora Township - Section 28
Located on the south end of Aurora, bound by Route 25, Ashland, Lincoln and Hazel Ave. THis is the largest cemetery in Aurora, with about half of the interments, German. Earliest Interment is 1838

St. Peter and Paul's Cemetery

415603N 0883212W Virgil Township - Section 22
Located south of Virgil on the east side of Meredith Road between Winters and Beith Roads. This is a German Catholic cemetery; some of the older stones are in German. The earliest noted interment is 1881.

Sugar Grove Cemetery

414741N 0882612W Sugar Grove Township - Section 9
Located on the north side of Merrill Road a short distance west of Bliss Road. This is one of two township cemeteries. The earliest noted interment is 1829.

Thatcher Cemetery

415508N 0883335W Virgil Township - (GNIS)

Tucker Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Campton Township - Section 11
Located on the west side of Corron Road, .5 mile south of Silver Glen Road, following a farmer's lane west to two patches of woods on a knoll, the most northerly patch containing the cemetery. (Note: This area is being rapidly developed) What remains of the site (in 1986) are several stones lying with their backs down set in cemeter surrounded by a metal pipe and post fence. There are also several large unmarked stones lying within the borders. It is said that formerly there were more interments, with some being moved to other cemeteries. An "early war veteran" is buried there. The earliest noted interment is 1844.

Udina Cemetery

420235N 0882239W Plato Township - Section 12
Located in Udina in the fork in the road between US Route 20 and Plank Road. The earliest noted interment is 1838.

Union Cemetery

420215N 0883257W Burlington Cemetery - Section 16
Located on the NW corner of Peplow and McGough Roads. The earliest noted interment is 1907.

Union Cemetery

415541N 0881832W St. Charles Township - Section 27
Located across the road from the North Cemetery. It is a newer cemetery and much more ethnically variable than its neighbor. The earliest noted interment is 1891.

Unknown Soldiers

Unknown Unknown St. Charles Township - Section 2
Located within the confines of the Blackhawk. Acquisition Project. An inscribed boulder marks the sight of two graves of unknown soldiers who accompanied General Scott during the Blackhawk War in July of 1832. The site is near the roadway at its nearest approach to the river.

Van Vlack Cemetery

Unknown Unknown Virgil Township - Section 28
Located east of Maple Park on the east side of Thatcher Road between Beith and McNulty Roads. This cemetery is small, has been infrequently used, and has suffered from vandalism. The earliest noted interment is 1846.

Ward Cemetery
(No longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Campton Township - Section 27
Formerly located on the east side of Town Hall Road and across from the communications towers. It was on the peak of the hill which is the second highest point in the state of Illinois. It is now part of someone's yard. In 1871 the property was owned by a J.L. Ward.

Ward Family Cemetery

420044N 0883407W Burlington Township - Section 20
Located north and away from Ellithorpe Road, .7 mile east of McGough Road. Surrounded by a metal fence and tall pine trees, viewable from the road. The earliest noted interment is 1851.

Washington Memorial Cemetery
aka McQueens Cemetery

420400N 0882339W Plato Township - Section 1
Though many old maps show it as being in section 35 Rutland Township, the Kane County Recorder's Office places all of it in Plato Township. It is located on the NE side of Highland Avenue a short distance south of McCornack. Road. The earliest noted interment is 1831.

Welch (Welsh) Cemetery

414453N 0883233W Big Rock Township - Section 27
Located south of Big Rock on the west side of Rhodes Avenue, a short distance north of Granart Road. The original site of the Welsh church was here, and most interments are Welsh, with some of the older stones in that language. Earliest Interment is 1845.

West Aurora Cemetery

414609N 0881852W Aurora Township - Section 15
Location on west side of Route 31 between Illinois Avenue adn Plum St. and bound on the west by Wilder Ave. "City Cemetery" for Aurora's west side. The earliest interment is 1827(?)

West Batavia Cemetery
aka Westside Cemetery
aka Brandon Cemetery

415025N 0881843W Batavia Township - Section 27
Located on south end of Batavia on the east side of Route 31. Some German burials, many Swedes. Earliest Interment: 1836

West Big Rock Cemetery

414613N 0883525W Big Rock Township - Section 18
Located on the west side of Shaw Road a short distance north of Route 30. A fair number of Welsh are buried here, the remainder are Yankees with some Germans and Scandinavians. Earliest Interment is 1840.

Westside Cemetery
aka Stevens Cemetery

415333N 0881822W Geneva Township - Section 3
Located in Geneva on the NW corner of Stevens and 2nd Street on the south end of Wheeler Park and one block west of Illinois Route 31. This cemetery is about one city block in size, quite old, and had experienced much vandalism. The earliest noted interment in 1830.

Whitney Cemetery

415650N 0882412W Campton Township - Section 14
Located NE of Wasco on the NE side of Burlington Road between Corron and Bolcum Roads. Small, well-kept cemetery named for the Whitney brothers who owned farms in the vicinity. The earliest noted interment is 1823(?).

Yeoman Cemetery
(No longer exists)

Unknown Unknown Virgil Township - Section 15
Formerly located on the north side of Welter Road a quarter of a mile west of Meredith Road. At the jog in the road begins a fence row which the cemetery was formerly located. A few illegible stones were once found at the site and were buried out in the field. The interments were never removed. The present fence row was also a lot line in 1871. On the west side was the farm of Mark Yeoman while on the east side was H. Waters and M. Derry.

1Information on the cemetery locations was included in the "Surname Guide to Kane County, IL Cemeteries" by Dean McMakin, 1986
Longitude/Latitude info can be found on GNIS


Return to the Cemetery Index