HISTORY OF HAMPSHIRE
WRITTEN IN 1893 BY GERTRUDE HAWLEY
Transcribed and contributed to Illinois Genealogy Trails by Laurie Selpien, ©2005
In 1893, the Hampshire Register ran a contest on who could write the best History of Hampshire. Miss Gertrude Hawley, was the winner of the $10 prize offered by the Register for the best history of the township.
[Transcriber's Note: "I found the original articles in the Hampshire library and transcribed them. There are places where I could not read and I had to leave blank. I also found mistakes in her genealogical history, but they are a wonderful glimpse into life in Hampshire before 1893." Laurie Selpien]
Topics on Page 1:
THE FIRST SETTLEMENT
THE FIRST MARRIAGE
THE FIRST WHITE BOY
THE FIRST STAGE HOUSE
THE FIRST TAVERN IN HENPECK
HAMPSHIRE'S FIRST BLACKSMITH
THE TERRIBLE FIRE OF 1839
THE TOWNSHIP NAMED
THE FIRST STORE IN THE TOWNSHIP
Topics on Page 2:
HAMPSHIRE HAUNTED HOUSE
THE EVANGELICAL CHURCH
C. W. A. Y. M.
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
THE SOLDIERS AID SOCIETY
HAMPSHIRE MILITARY HISTORY
VILLAGE OF HAMPSHIRE
THE FIRST SETTLEMENT
Hampshire was made in 1835. In early times Hampshire was not so called, but, with the west part of Rutland formed the precinct of Deerfield. In giving a record of the precinct I will naturally have to write of people who settled in Rutland as well as those who settled in Hampshire.
Elijah Rich and son, Thomas and Eviline Starks came to Deerfield to locate claims but left Mr. Riche's family in DuPage County until the following year. These men located farms now owned by E. E. Rich and E. Starks. Forty Indians camped on Webster's hill while they were building. They were harmless Pottawottimies and did not offer to molest the whites. Elijah Rich and Eviline Starks came from Vermont on horseback. Mr. Rich's family came to Chicago by way of the canal and the Great Lakes. They made the rest of the journey by teams. In those times it was a great undertaking for the men to move their families from the settled country like Vermont to such a wilderness as these men found with no neighbors within ten miles and no town nearer than Chicago. It was rather a long trip from the East to Chicago. When they arrived there they didn't register at the Auditorium but took lodgings in a log tavern in the mud on the Lakeshore. The pleasures of travel were not as great in 1836 as in 1892. But these early pioneers were not men to be discouraged by hardships of travel as only persons of energy, courage and preservation would have attempted to seek homes in what was then known as the far West.
The first thought of the settlers was the building of homes. Every.......was his own master-builder and d____(did rely) upon the oak woods for his supply of lumber. The logs were cut and hauled to the spot and all the men that could be got were secured to help in the raising. The logs were laid in a square, notches being cut in each to hold the one above. The cracks between them filled with oak chinks Mud was used to plaster the outside walls. The gable-ends were of logs and a log stretched across as a ridge pole. These logs were kept in place by wooden pins. When the logs which served as roof boards had been fastened in place about two courses of shakes (man made shingles) were laid. Nails were too luxurious an article in those days so logs were used to keep the shakes in place. The shakes were good protection from the rain but allowed the snow to sift between them. The floor was of split logs. The door was made of planks, split out of logs, with a wooden latch. The leather latch string always hung out and gave evidence of hospitality.
There was no glass in the country when the first homes were built. A hole was cut out of the logs on the opposite side of the house. When the weather was warm these openings admitted the light and air, and in the cold weather planks served as protection from the cold. A description would not be complete without the mention of the fireplace. The fireplace and hearth was made of clay and dried by a slow fire. The chimney was built of oak sticks and plastered with clay. This room served as the kitchen, dinning room and parlor. The sleeping rooms were above. The house being completed the next thing to receive attention was a well. The well was dug and stoned up with hardheads. There were no pumps and water was drawn by means of a bucket and well sweep. Log stables were built for the animals. Having provided shelter for themselves and their beast they next turned their attention to farming.
After breaking up the beautiful prairie they sowed the grain and planted the corn and potatoes. When the grain was ready for harvest there were no binders, harvesters or threshing machines. The men cut the grain with a cradle and racked and bound it by hand. A space was cleared and the grain was laid upon it ready for threshing. Now came fun for the boys who rode the horses and oxen over it. The grain was thus separated from the straw but the chaff was with it yet. But shoveling the grain blew the chaff away. There was plenty of wind then even if it wasn't the year of a political campaign.
Mr. Rich's family consisted of a wife and seven children.
THE FIRST MARRIAGE
In Deerfield Precinct was that of Mr. Rich's oldest daughter, Melissa, to Charles Bradford, which occurred in the winter of 1838. As there were no minister or justice here, a justice from DuPage County performed the ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. Bradford lived in Kane County about twenty-five years and then removed to Iowa where Mr. Bradford died. Mrs. Bradford lives with a daughter in South Dakota.
When they came here Thomas, one of our townsmen, was a boy of thirteen. He spent much time at the Indian camp, riding the ponies and enjoying the pleasures of Indian life. He became enamored with their way of living, and, I am creditably informed, had it not been for the vigilance of his father he would have gone with them and became noted as the great chief of the Pottawottimies. Instead of going with the Indians he went as a sailor on Lake Michigan, and afterwards went into the lead mines at Genoa where he spent a year or two. On his return to Hampshire, he settled on the farm where he until he came to the village with his wife and daughter. Sarah Rich now lives in Rutland. Milton went to North Dakota years ago and lived there until his death. Am_s became the wife of L. Sandford. She died at Aurora several years ago. Clara married Albert Shurtcliff. They lived for sometime at New Lebanon and then moved to Richland, South Dakota, where he is now a wealthy farmer. Venelie is now Mrs. E. B. Arnold, of Blunt, South Dakota. Della was the first white child born in Deerfield Precinct. She was born in 1837 and died at the age of fourteen. The youngest children were twins, Evelyn and Eviline. Evelyn now lives in Hampshire. Eveline became the wife of John Gage. Her death occurred several years ago.
Evilie Starks was married to Salome Gage in 1846. Their oldest son, Eviline lives on the home farm. Milton is a farmer in Missouri. Frank and John died when young men. "Billy" was formerly a Hampshireite but now has a barbershop in Elgin. Other families came in 1836.
Of New York, was one of the most prominent men of his time. He settled in the southwest corner of the township, on the state road leading from St. Charles to Belvedere and entertained many travelers. He was one of the first justices of the peace serving three terms. Mr. Paddock was a man for the times, a jolly fiddler and hunter, fond of hunting bees and shooting deer. He had a large family of boys and girls. Most of his sons went to California in an early day. When deer and bees became scarce, Mr. Paddock and the rest of the family moved to the lumber region of Wisconsin. So we see that in those times some were not satisfied with Hampshire.
Benjamin DeWitt and his young wife came from Michigan with teams Mr. and Mrs. Henry G. Bell accompanied them. They first took up claims in Plato, but liking this part of the country better, afterward came to Hampshire. Mr. DeWitt lived on what is now know as the Lyons farm until his death, caused by smallpox, in 1852. Mrs. DeWitt afterwards married David Lyons. Her death occurred in Michigan in 1889.
THE DEWITT FAMILY
Consisted of four sons and two daughters. The daughters are Mrs. Webster, of Michigan, and Mrs. Piper who also lived in Michigan, but is now dead. The sons Frank, of Iowa, Hiram, of this place, "Bird" of Elgin and Ralph, our genial and successful physician.
Henry Bell had four sons and five daughters. Charles and Frank live in Hampshire, George in Elgin and John in Wyoming. The daughters married and are living in Western Iowa and Kansas. Mrs. Bell is dead but Mr. Bell is still living in Dekalb county.
And family of Vermont, arrived here in the spring of 1837 and settled where his son, John A. Allen now lives. Mr. Allen was the first constable here and his sons and grandsons figure prominently in Kane county politics. Aaron married Miss. Lanfear and they lived for many years on the farm now owned by Fred Elnecke. When they sold the farm they moved to Elgin, where they now live. They have five children, one of whom, Darwin, is a lawyer in California. Ethan Allen married Harriet Smith, of Charter Grove, and located the farm where his son Henry Allen, lived until his death in 1890. Henry Allen born in 1841, was THE FIRST WHITE BOY
Born in Hampshire. His wife, who was Mary Coon, was born two days later than he, is the oldest person born in Hampshire and now living here. Ethan Allen's son, David, was married to Caroline Coon and they now live on their farm here. Their daughter, Marion married George McClellan and lived in Elgin. Ethan Allen and wife are dead.
Henry Allen Sr. took up the land now owned by Fred Berner. His wife was Lois Brown. He is now dead, but she lives in California. Their daughters are Mrs. George Simons, of California and Mrs. Maggie Werthwein, who's husband, William Werthwein, died in 1888. Willard Allen married Betsy Brown and settled on the farm where their son, Eugene, now lives. He died in the war, but she now lives in Elgin. One daughter, Victoria, is married and now lives in Elgin. James and Cora also live in Elgin. Kate Allen married Captain Barnes and lived in Sycamore. They are both dead.
John......son of Zenas Allen now lives in Hampshire . His .....was Patience Brown. They had one son and three daughters. One ...daughters is dead. Theson Harvey, married and lives with his parents. Neither of the daughters live here. Mr. Allen has always taken a prominent part in affairs here. He served eight years as assessor. Edison Allen married a Miss. McClellan. They live in Chicago and their children in Elgin. Adaline Allen died when young. Cullen, Zenas Allen's youngest son, went to war and on his return married in Michigan. He has lived there until recently when he moved with his family to California, where his wife died.
The above is a portrait of Mrs. Hawley, mother of our townsman Samuel Hawley
Wife and eight children, of Connecticut, arrived the same year and settled in what is now the village of Hampshire. When Mr. Hawley came here he bought stock of Rodney McDole, of Sugar Grove. A yoke of oxen cost $40 and a good cow $10 a piece. "Father" Hawley died at the age of sixty-six and was buried in the Hampshire Center Cemetery. Mrs. Hawley lived to the advanced age of eighty-four years and was buried in Iowa. Norman, their oldest son, married Eleanor Randall in 1839, and lived some time on what is now the Burns farm. They moved to Iowa in 1849 and two years ago went to Barron Wisconsin. Emily became the wife of Julius A. Starks. Lyman died of consumption at the age of twenty-eight. Henry married Elizabeth Thompson, she died when yet a young woman and husband and baby soon followed. The second daughter, Margaret, died at the age of seventeen, of consumption. Nelson married Rowena Thompson. They lived for some time on the Wilke farm and then moved to Iowa, where they live now. Samuel went to the gold mines in 1852 and again in 1859. He was in California when the war broke out and enlisted there and served in Texas and Mexico. When the war closed he returned to Hampshire and in 1866 married Betsy Keyes. They lived in Iowa ten years and then returned to Hampshire. Ichabod went to California in 1859. He went to Iowa in 1867 and married Minerva Dagget, and lived there until his death in 1880.
Wm. H. SEYMOUR
Wife and son, of New York, came to Deerfield in the fall of 1837. He worked at his trade as a shoemaker. Their daughter Jane, born in 1840, was the first white child born in what is now the township of Hampshire. Mr. Seymour, better known in later days as "Governor" Seymour, received his first commission as the first postmaster of Hampshire in 1844. This was during Tyler's administration, when Charles A. Wickliffe was Postmaster General, Mr. Seymour held this office until 1848, and still preserved his first commission which is an interesting relic of those early days. He was Hampshire's first town clerk and held the office a long time. His wife died several years ago, but he still lives at old Hampshire.
THE FIRST STAGE HOUSE
In Hampshire was kept by Steutenberg Brothers in 1837, a mile northwest of Henpeck an the Chicago Genoa road. The only public means of conveyance was then the stagecoach. Flint and Walker owned the stage and mail routes all over the northwest. The story was that when a passenger bought a ticket at Chicago he was obliged to walk and carry a fence rail to help pry the coach out of the mud.
And three children and Daniel Hall and wife came here from New York in 1838. Mr. Whittemore settled on the land now owned by Michael Getzelman. Mr. Whittemore was prominent among the early settlers. He held the offices of county commissioner, justice of the peace and school trustee. He and his wife died in Elgin. Their daughter, Adelaide, married Wilson Dobney and lived in northern Iowa. Sophronia became the wife of James Bogardus, who afterward became a wagon-maker in Burlington. Thomas married and went to Michigan, where he is a conductor.
In speaking of justices of the peace, I am reminded of a reminiscence related to me an old settler. Squire Whittemore was holding court in the barroom of the tavern on the state road. the lawyers were A. B. Coon and Mr. Pulver, of Marengo. During the trial the discussion was hot and the lawyers finally came to blows. The Squire favored Coon and so called on the people of the state of New York "To take these men apart" After he repeated this call, a by-stander reminded the court that this is not New York, but Illinois. By this time Coon had his man whipped, so the Squire called on the people of the state of Illinois to separate them. This was done. They were taken to the pump and washed and the trial resumed.
A. B. COON
Came to Hampshire in 1838 and for ten years figured prominently in local history. He surveyed much of the township, laying out Hawley farm and the road known as Main Street. He practiced law in suits before the justices and was generally successful that the other lawyers who came from St. Charles and Geneva said that they believed " He owned the courts". After a years study of law in St. Charles, Mr. Coon went to Marengo to locate permanently, and he married. Before his death he became one of the most prominent layers in the state.
(A description of one of the first log cabins built in Hampshire and of an old fashion well-sweep was given in the first part of the history. The sketches of these old land marks drawn by Mrs. Kate Bates, given in this issue are very good representations -Ed)
Mr. and Mrs. John Burns and family drove from Ashtabula County, Ohio and arrived here in the summer of 1843. Mr. Burns two sons, by his first wife, and their daughter constituted their family when they arrived here. Mr. and Mrs. Burns settled on the farm which T. Kelley afterward made his home. After living in several different farms they bought the farm in Rutland where their son David now lives. Here Mr. Burns died in 1885.
Mrs. Burns has just left the old homestead and come to this village to live. Robert Burns lives on a ranch in Nebraska. John is in South Dakota. Oscar is a street car driver in Chicago. George is unmarried and lives with his mother here. I have already written of David, one of Rutland's most prosperous farmers. Miranda is Mrs. Cloud Parsons of Old Hampshire. Helen is married Frank Thair ? and their home is in Chicago. Ida is the wife of George Schmiting a farmer in Rutland .
Another Ohio family that came here in 1843 was Chas. Patchin. They settled on the farm now owned by John Hurd. Mrs. Patchin died several years ago and Mr. Patchin afterward married Mrs. Hilda Coon. Their daughter is Mrs. John Hurd. Mr. Patchin's death occurred in 1883. James Patchin is in Montana. Newton lives on his farm in ........Lucien died in Nebraska, and John lives in Iowa. One daughter married Andrew Pingree; they are both dead. The other daughter married Mr. Taswell and lives in Elgin.
REV. ROBERT WILLIAMS
Came here from New Hampshire in 1843. Mr. and Mrs. Williams had six sons, all of whom have lived for some period of their lives. None of them are now living. Horace, the oldest, was a wealthy farmer living near Chicago. Sylvester was a Methodist minister who preached in New York state until 1864, when he came to Hampshire. John and Velorice were both Hampshire farmers. Cyprus, Mrs. O. S. McAllister's father was at the time a large landowner in Hampshire. Our readers remember his tragic death on McAllister's farm several years ago. Issac became a Baptist minister and went to Mississippi. Here he married and lived the remainder of his life.
JOHN AURAND SR.
And family, of Pennsylvania, settled in 1813 on the farm that John Aurand Jr. now lives. Mr. and Mrs. Aurand were very prominent in the German Evangelical Society. He was at one time justice of the peace. Their sons John and Abraham are among our most prosperous and substantial farmers.
History would not be complete without the mention of
SAMUEL C. ROWELL
Who was for years been one of our most prominent citizens. His death which occurred recently caused a vacancy which will be hard to fill. Mr. Rowell was a native of New Hampshire. He went to Kentucky when he was young man and taught school three years. In 1843 he came to Hampshire and located a claim. He returned to Kentucky and married. He and his wife came here then went to farming on what is today called the Whiting place............a store in old Hampshire .......came through Hampshire he saw better opportunities for trade in the village and accordingly moved here in 1875. He built the store and residence now occupied by the business and family, in a few years his trade had so increased that he enlarged his store. .........Fremont has been associated with him in the ...for several years. Mr. Rowell acted for many years as postmaster and justice of the peace. Mr. and Mrs. Rowell's family consisted of one son and three daughters, the oldest, Mary is Mrs. C. L. Dickson, Jessie is Mrs. C. E. Buzzell, of Leaf River, and Olivia is the wife of our genial friend, Geo. H. York.
Came from Pennsylvania with his wife and family, in 1843. Their house was about forty rods north of where F. B. Ream now lives. Mr. Ream died in 1871 and his wife followed him two years later. Their family consisted of five sons and four daughters. Enoch died in 1857 and Abraham in 1859. Epbraim is a farmer in Iowa and John is a doctor in Kansas. Frank is a resident of this township. The daughters are Mrs. Charles Shirley, of Rockford; Mrs. Catherine Tyson, of Kansas; and Mrs. William Klick, of this place.
The following year, BENJAMIN REAM and family, also from Pennsylvania, settled on the farm now owned by Lowry. Mr. Ream died in 1847, his wife lived to the advanced age of seventy three years. She died in ........daughter is Raine, in Elroy, Wisconsin. Their son Eli died years ago when he was a clerking in Sherben's tavern. Levi, Samuel and Thomas are residents of Hampshire. Elizabeth in Mrs. Pearson, of Elroy, Wisconsin. Susan is Mrs. Patchin, living in Crawford county, Iowa. Mrs. Lucy Dickson lives in Oregon, Leah, wife of Louis Shirley, died at Cherry Valley in 1878.
After people began farming they put rail fencing around their farms--the old fashion kind that we see occasionally now. The young men used to work the farm in the summer and cut down trees for fence rails in the winter. In the winter of 1843/44, Henry Hawley was cutting trees alone in the woods. he felled one tree and as it fell it lodged upon another. He then began to cutting another tree and the first one slipped back and caught his foot under it. His toes were horribly crushed and parts of several were left in the boot when he drew his foot out. He limped home through the deep snow and found his mother alone, the younger children had gone to school and his father and older brother at "Yankee Settlement". She helped him into the house and to bed, and, as she could not send for help until after four o'clock began to make bandages and scrap lint. When the children came from school she sent one for Hilda Coon and one for C. M. Daniels. They came at once, but seeing how serious the wound was, refused to dress it. But Mrs. Hawley said it must be done in order to stop the bleeding, so she dressed it herself. Believing there was a doctor at Marengo, Mr. Coon went there on horseback, but, the doctor had moved to Belvedere. The snow was so deep. The next day he drove to Belvedere and returned thirty-six hours later accompanied by two doctors. It took them over three hours to dress the wound and he nearly bled to death. For six months he went on crutches and was always lame after. The incident was given to show some of the hardships of pioneer life. The waiting for thirty-six hours for a doctor is striking contrast to having two good doctors and plenty of medical aid within easy reach.
Wife, four sons and one daughter, came from Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1843. he bought the Mike Kelley farm of Dr. Daniels. Mr. Haines owned and lived upon several farms during the time that he lived here. In 1866 they moved to Genoa and two years later to Nebraska, where Mr. and Mrs. Haines died. Their oldest son, Isaac, went to California in 1854 and was never heard from until recently. The daughter married David Young and lives in California. The youngest son lives in Nebraska, John and Lockwood are both residents of Hampshire.
Wife and four children came from New York State in 1843 and settled southwest of the village, on the baseline. George Cook was born on the old homestead, Lucy married W. H. Pease, who is our county surveyor and has been for fifteen or sixteen years. Timothy went to California in 1852. When last heard of he was in New Mexico, Maria married S. Beckwith and lived in Whiteside county until her death, S. W. L. was married in Philadelphia in 1867 to Miss. Clara Bieker. George married Adelphia Gage. Both the later sons are living here. Mrs. Cook died on the old homestead in 1865, and Burnham Cook died in 1871 at his home in Udina.
Was another old settler, who came from France in the 1840's. He settled south of the present village, and kept bachelor's hall for a number of years. He then married Miss. Mary Ward, of Burlington. His death occurred several years ago and Mrs. Johnnin now carries on the farm. Their family consisted of six daughters and three sons. One daughter and two sons are dead. The other daughters are; Mrs. C. Bell and Mrs. N. T. Nelson of this place; Mrs. Butler King, of Elgin; Mary, who married and living in Chicago; Alice, who is teaching school and Daisy who lives at home. The son John lives with his mother.
MR. AND MRS. PETER BAKER
Of Ohio, came here in 1814. They settled on the farm where she now lives, he having died many years ago. Jacob is a farmer on his farm, which he bought from Peter Healy several years ago. William runs a steam thresher. George lives in the village and is engaged in selling his patent fence. John raises fruit for the market. Lydia Baker married Chris Baumann. They are now building a nice residence in the eastern part of the village.
SOLOMON GAGE SR.
Of New York, settled on what is now M. Somer's farm, in 1844. Mr. and Mrs. Gage have both been dead for some years. One daughter, Salome, married Eviline Starks Sr. and the other became the wife of Caleb Truax, who came here from New York in 1843. Cyril Gage married in 1850. He was taken with gold fever two years later and went to California, leaving his wife here. On his return they bought the farm now owned by Chas. Holtgren. Some years ago he exchanged his farm for the property in the village where they now reside. Mr. and Mrs. Gage have five daughters and two sons. Solomon and John Gage went to California in the 1850'sand remained a number of years. They returned here and married John settled on the farm where he now lives. Solomon, who died some years ago, lived on the farm now owned by his son Ernest. Aaron now lives in Missouri.
Came to Hampshire, from Ohio, in the 1845, with a wife and seven children. They lived some time on the Calvin Coon farm, but in 1846 bought and moved onto the farm they now owned by E. Werthwein. They afterward lived on the Wilke farm where Mrs. Fields died. "Grandpa" Fields lived to the advanced age of eighty-seven. Their daughters are Mrs. April Gage; Mrs. Robert Wyricke, of Dakota; Mrs. A. Potter of Riley; Mrs. John Keller, of Chicago; Mrs. Osborne, of Riley; and Mrs. John Page, who died in Kansas City several years ago. James lives in California.
And family, of New York state, settled in Hampshire in 1845, they erected the first frame house in the township. Mr. and Mrs. Terwilliger's children were born before they came here. It is a remarkable circumstances that they are all still living. The oldest, Mrs. L. V. Doty is seventy-six and the youngest, Mrs. S. D. Mann, of Burlington, is fifty-three. Mr. Terwilliger died in 1859 and Mrs. Terwilliger died in 1880. Orilla Terwilliger was married to J. V. Doty in 1855. They have always lived on the farm which is now their home. Hannah was married in 1849 to Samuel Bates, who died of cholera in 1852. There son, Frank, lives in Kansas and Charles is in Southern Illinois. She married again in 1857 to Stephan Maynard. They had two children, a son Highland, living in Kansas, and a daughter, Ellen, who is the wife of John Meyers, of Effingham. James Terwilliger has for years been a successful farmer in Wisconsin. Sidney married Phoebe Hogeboom and went to California in 1854, where he engaged in stock raising. William married Betsy Bales and lived on his farm here until a few years ago, when they removed to California where they now live on a fruit farm. Elsie married Alfred man of Burlington; they now live in Elgin. Charity is Mrs. Sherman of Burlington.
Mrs. Abraham Maynard and sons came here with her father in 1845. Mr. Maynard .....New York ....a year later in ......disposed of their property there and had tired of his small farm of the east and chose a home on Coon Creek prairie. Here he built a log cabin and afterward a frame house......... where a fine farmhouse now stands. They resided there until about eight years ago, when they built a residence in the village where they now living. Mr. and Mrs. Maynard have five sons and one daughter. One daughter is dead. Henry and James are successful Iowa farmers. George has a livery stable and is a dealer in stock in Nebraska. Ed is running the homestead. Charles lives in the village and deals in coal and hay. Etta is the wife of Soton Dow, who has the butter factory here.
Wife and daughter came by teams from Indiana to Hampshire in 1845. They took up the land, which is now their farm. Their first house was a log one and they enjoyed pioneer life with the rest of the early settlers. Three sons were born here. Frank and George are farmers in Iowa. Fred carries on the home place. Helen Weed married E. Starks. Her death occurred four years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Weed have worked hard to secure their fine property and they are now enjoying the fruits of their labors
Was another Pioneer he married soon after coming here and his wife and two sons live on the old homestead. Their daughter married Dr. Reid, of Old Hampshire, and is now a widow in Michigan.
Other arrivals in 1838 were A. s. McApes, Stephen Haviland and Joseph Dalby.
DEERFIELD PRECINCT ORGANIZED
By the summer of 1838 so many people were living here that the necessity of organization was felt. A meeting was held June 6, 1838, at the stage house kept by Enoch O. Garland. Hampshire and the west part of Rutland were organized into the precinct of Deerfield.
There was no supervisors in those days, but each precinct elected a commissioner who attended the meetings at Genoa and performed the duties of that office. Thomas Whittemore was elected commissioner; Isaac Paddock and Elijah Rich , justices of the peace; Wm. H. Seymour, town clerk; Zenas Allen and Enoch O. Garland , constables.
Was much different from the elections today. There were no ballots or Ballot boxes and men voted by word of mouth. The poll books were opened and the names of candidates set down. Each voter as his name was called announced his choice. If that system was in use now I fear it would keep some away from the polls.
Julius A. brother of Eviline Starks, came from Vermont in 1839. He took up land which is now the east part of the village and the next year married Emily Hawley. They had two sons, one who died in infancy and the other Lyman, now living in Iowa. His wife died of consumption and he afterward married Martha Jepson. Mr. Starks was the first supervisor elected in 1850 and serving two terms. Mr. Starks left here and went to California in 1851 where he remained a year and a half. Upon return he studied law at Geneva and was admitted to the bar. Taking his family with him he moved to Minnesota, where he became a probate judge. After living there several years he went to California again. In a short time he sent for his family. His wife, son and daughter joined him but his oldest daughter Mary remained with her grandfather and grandmother, Jepson. She became the wife of Calvin Coon and died in Chicago in 1888.
Nat Penniman kept THE FIRST TAVERN IN HENPECK, which he opened in 1839, he kept it for a short time and sold it to William Humphrey, Sr. No doubt many of our younger readers often wonder how this name "Henpeck" originated. There was once a worthy lady living there, who had such pronounced ideas as to women's rights and asserted them so forcibly, that the neighbors, seeing the henpecked condition of her husband, called the place "Henpeck". This name has remained as a monument to this martyred man.
Timothy Kelly, Sr. was HAMPSHIRE'S FIRST BLACKSMITH. He had a shop at the stage house and did the company's Smithing. He afterwards married and located on the farm now carried on by his sons, John and Timothy. He had a shop on his farm and worked as a trader for some years. Mr. Kelley's other son Michael, learned the blacksmith trade and opened a shop in Hampshire. He sold out here and now has a business in Chicago. Another son, James, lives in Burlington. The two daughters are Mrs. Lawrence Somers and Mrs. Mrs. Michael Burns. Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Kelley, Sr. died a few years ago at the old homestead.
John and Albert Parker, of Ohio, came here in 1839. Albert married Maria Whitcomb and settled on what is now Jas. Brown farm. His death occurred in Denver. John married Eliza Fields and owned Getzelman farm, where Fred Schroeder now lives. He is living in Kansas and his wife is in Elgin.
Mr. and Mrs. Isabell came about the same time and settled on what is now the Warner farm. Their daughter married William Weed, brother of our townsman, Elisha Weed. The oldest son, James, went to California in 1852 but came back here and married Phoebe Watson. They owned the Huber farm for some years but now live at west side Iowa. Another son Crawford was murdered for his money in Oregon. Danford lives in South Dakota. Chancey is living somewhere out west.
Mr. and Mrs. LOUIS PRENTICE
Wife and two children came in 1838, from New York. After living here for some years Mr. Prentice went further west and has never been heard from since. Mrs. Prentice and the boys carried on the place which she succeeded in paying for. The older of the Prentice boys also went away and kept his whereabouts a secret. "Rat" married and lived on the farm with his mother until her death, when he sold it and moved to Chicago.
Mr. and Mrs. LEVI WILLARD - six sons and two daughters came here from Michigan. After taking up several claims Mr. Willard settled on what is known as the Thos. Farrell farm. Mr. and Mrs. Willard died. Only three of their sons are living, one in Dundee, one in Belvedere and "Bony" one of our townsmen.
MR. AND MRS. HILDA COONS
Came from Chicago in 1838 and settled on the I. V. Doty farm. Mr. Coon died there and Mrs. Coon afterward married Charles Patchin. She is now dead. Mr. and Mrs. Coon had one daughter, Caroline, when they came here. She is now Mrs. David Allen. One daughter was born here, now Mrs. H. J. Allen. Their sons are William of New Lebanon, and Calvin, of Chicago.
Mr. and Mrs. Widmayer and family came from Germany to New York in 1853. Mr. Widmayer died in New York and Mrs. Widmayer married Antone Mooth. They came to Hampshire to live in 1856 and lived the first year on land now owned by Mr. Werthein. They afterward bought the E. Tamms farm. Mr. Mooth died in the army. Mrs. Mooth died at the home of Mrs. George Leitner, in 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Widmayer had five sons and four daughters. Gottieb died when a boy. William is one of our prosperous farmers. Charles Ernest and Robert are prosperous farmers. Charles, Ernest and Robert are prosperous business men. Charles in Jacksonville, and Ernest and Robert are in Virginia IL. The daughters are Mrs. George Leitner, Mrs. E. Werthwein, now dead; Mrs. Minnie Carlton, of California; and Mrs. August Meyer of Barrington.
Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Bean of New Hampshire, came to this township in 1854. They have always been active workers in the Methodist society here. Mrs. Bean died years ago and Mr. Bean lives with his son. George Byron Bean is married and lives in Elgin. Cyrus is married and lives in Zearing, Iowa. Lizzie is the wife of Lawyer Hopson of Elgin. George married Caroline Maderer and they live on the old homestead. Ernest married Miss Weaver, of Browntown, and is farming here.
Smith Carlisle, wife and family of Massachusetts, settled on Julius Starks place in 1854. After living here several years they moved to Burlington and then to Iowa. where Mrs. Carlisle died. "Uncle" Smith at the age of seventy-nine, is hale and hearty. His house is now in Union. Their family consisted of six sons and two daughters. Hiram died in the war. Smith's death occurred several years ago in Alaona, Iowa. The rest of the family is still living.
In the spring of 1855, Noah Hayden and Joel Bradbura with their wives and families came here from Massachusetts. Mr. Hayden settled on the Jepson place. He afterward moved to Indiana where they lived for seven years. On their return they bought the place where they now live. Their children are Marcellus Hayden, of Batavia, and Mrs. Lysander Hurd, of Union.
Mr. Bradburn settled on the farm now owned by James Brown they went to Indiana and Michigan and eleven years later returned and bought the place where they are living. Their daughters are Mrs. Wallace Martin, of Chicago; and Mrs. A. D. Marks, of this place. Leslie Bradburn is a butter and cheese maker. He and his wife are now visiting here. In the winter of 1855, Mr. and Mrs. Dennison Carlisle of Mass. settled in Hampshire. Mr. Carlisle was familiarly known as an auctioneer and lecturer throughout the country. Mrs. Carlisle died in 1887. Mr. Carlisle has since sold his residence here to D. Balwin and went with his daughter Mrs. Smith, to Wyoming, Iowa. He sold out there and then came to Genoa. The other daughter, Jeanette, married Wm. T Smith who died here in 1880. She is now Mrs. Russell Gilbert, of Iowa, Nathan S. Carlisle has for many years been prominent in Kane county politics. He served a number of years as supervisor of Hampshire. He was elected sheriff to the county in 1880. In 1882 the length of the term was changed from two to four years. He was re-elected and held the office until 1886. During this time he managed his large farms here and was in the stock business. Since 1886 Mr. and Mrs. Carlisle have lived in their handsome St. Charles residence. He is engaged in buying stock and selling it through the southern part of the country.
Luman J. Carlisle was the Hampshire postmaster from 1870 until the village was started. As there was another post office at Old Hampshire the office kept by Mr. Carlisle was called Lennox. He also held the office of town clerk and justice of the peace. He held the later once until failing health caused his to resign it. He kept a furniture store for some time. His death occurred in 1885.
October 20, 1865, E. Werthwein of Chicago, bought 40 acres of land of Havillah Fields. He rented this for two years and then with wife and son, Charles, moved out of Chicago. He made additions to the original forty until he had a large farm. They lived on the farm until 1882 when they built their handsome residence in the Werthwein addition. Here Mrs. Werthwein died in 1889. On Thanksgiving Day, 1891, Mr. Werthein again married to Miss. Hase, in Elgin. Charles Werthwein went to Jacksonville and was married. He returned here and is now a member of the meat market firm of Werthwein & Zimmer. His residence is probably the nicest in town. Emma Werthein married Rev. Wm. B. Leach, former pastor of the Methodist church here. They now live in Chicago. He preached in the Pauline street church. William Werthwein carried on his father's farm a number of years and then went into the meat market business. Consumption caused his death in 1891. Lydia Werthwein married Frank Channing, the popular milk conductor on the C. M. & St. P. railroad.
Mr. and Mrs. Gleason and family settled in 1855 on the Warner farm. After living here for some time they left Hampshire but returned in 1861 and lived on the Hawley farm. They moved away but returned in 1880 and built their residence here. Mr. Gleason then started his lumber yard which he has carried on ever since. Their daughter, Mrs. Isaac Dolph, lives in Elgin. The oldest son, Homer, is married and lives here. Irwin went to California and married . The youngest son, Edward, went to California for a year.
Mr. and Mrs. Aaron D. Buzzell and family of Vermont, made their home here, March 26, 1856. They settled on the farm now owned by Daniel D. Buzzell. Aaron Buzzell's death occurred in 1884. They had three sons and three daughters. One of the daughters never came to Hampshire. The others are Mrs. Chatfield, of Colorado, and Mrs. A. Fraley, of this place. James lives at Weatland, N. D. Daniel went to California. He returned in 1862 and bought the old homestead, where he has lived ever since. His wife was Mary Dow. He has since added more to his farm and is one of our wealthy farmers. He is widely known for his good qualities. William went to the war as a mere boy. In 1886 he married Susie Dow. They have since lived in Iowa and Chicago. He is now carrying on his brother's farm here.
John Waidman, Sr. of Germany came to this township in 1859 and bought a farm joining Old Hampshire on the south. Mr. Waidman sold the farm and came to the village. He lived to a good old age, dying in 1892. Their oldest son, John, married Sarah McKee, also of this place. Aleck was never married; he died in 1891. Their daughters are Mrs. E. Hines, of Huntley; Mrs. Charles McKee, of Aurora; and Mrs. Isaac Smith, of this place.
Mr. and Mrs. Abner Reeves, came to this township, from New York, in 1856. They lived on their farm on the line between Kane and McHenry for many years. They then moved to the village. Mr. Reeves has since been in the coal business and built several houses to rent or sell. One son William, lives in Minnesota. The other, James, is living here. Their daughter, Mrs. John Eldridge, lives in Orehard, Iowa.
A large number of the people who came here in the 1850's were from New Jersey. We have not been able to learn exact date of the coming of some.
Martin Frederick settled in the north-east part of the township. He died in the village several years ago. His sons are farmers here.
Charles Hubber settled on the Henry Blazier place. He is dead; his wife lives here with their son. Their daughter is Wm. Widmeyer; she is now dead.
Conrad Ebert, settled in 1855 on a part of the Werthwein farm. He is now living in Old Hampshire.
George Maderer and wife, who came here early in the 1850's are still living here.
John Reborn and wife, now live in Elgin. Their son, John, lives on the old homestead.
Mr. and Mrs. John Blazier, Sr. settled on "the island", which is part of his present farm. Mrs. Blazier died, but Mr. Blazier and his second wife now live in the village. Mr. Blazier's daughters are widows. One lives with Henry Blazier on the farm north of town and the other with John Blazier Jr., on the farm he bought of Silas Baldwin. George married Miss. Munch, daughter of another early settler. He owns the Munch farm but he and his family are now living in Elgin.
George Bittle and wife settled on the place where he now lives. Mrs. Bittle died in 1892. One of their daughters is married and lives in Chicago. Two are Mrs. Henry Maderer and Mrs. Chas. Getzelman, of this place. One daughter and one son live at home.
George Lietner took a farm here in 1856. He afterward married Louisa Widmayer. Their oldest daughter is Mrs. Fred Schwartz. Their sons, Ed and Henry, are a meat market firm in Elgin, and Robert is with them. Several of their children are dead and seven are at home.
In the early days, two men of a rather unsavory records, were living in a log house on what is now the Brown farm south of the village. They were out of provisions and needed grain for their horses. As they had no wagon they called on Uncle Phillip Terwilliger one evening and borrowed a wagon, saying they would return it the next day. They took the wagon and proceeded to forage for the necessary supplies. They drove to Mr. Brown's south of Genoa, and appropriated a barrel of pork and several bags of oats. They did this in the night and returned the wagon the next morning as they had agreed. Mr. Brown discovered his loss and accompanied by his neighbors set out to find the thieves. Unfortunately for the latter, one of the hind wheels did not track with the front one, as there was little travel then, the track was easily followed. When Mr. Brown and his party reached the place where these men lived they saw the wagon had driven into the yard. But the track went further so they followed it until it ended at Mr. Terwillier's. They found the wagon there and so accused him of the theft. He explained the matter and told them how he had lent his wagon the night before to the men on the Brown's place. Mr. Terwilliger was known as an honorable man, they accepted his explanation and drove back to the other place. They searched the premises and found the barrel of pork. The men had put the oats in other bags, so of coarse, they could not be identified. Mr. Brown had these men arrested. Both gave bail but, before the case came to trial, skipped the country. Mr. Terwilliger's friends had many a laugh at his expense and often asked him the price of pork.
J. M. Whelpley and wife, two sons and a daughter came here from DuPage county, in 1857. They bought the J. A. Starks farm north of the village. Their daughter married Nicholas Miller, who enlisted in the 127 regiment and was killed in the battle of Arkansas Post, 1863. She married the second time to E. B. Ketchum. She died in Hampshire in 1884. Henry also enlisted in the 127th and served until the end of the war, going with Sherman through the south to join Grant in Virginia. He married Lillie Carpenter, who died in the Washington, Ty., where they settled. Edwin W. married Elizabeth Terwilliger and lives on the old farm north of the village. Maria wife of John M. died on a farm he bought near Elgin, in 1885.
In the early days when horses were not so plenty as now J. W. Bean was superintendent of a Sunday school held in a Bean district log school house. He trimmed up his ox cart with oak branches, put a number of pieces of board across the top of the box and seated his whole school in it. A flag was put in the yoke of the oxen and ------- in the center of the box they started for the picnic grounds where several schools had met to celebrate the 4th of July. This made a very pretty picture and when they arrived at the grounds the air rang with cheers.
Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Gift came here from Pennsylvania in 1860. Mrs. Gift died and he afterwards married Miss. Frederick. He went to Chicago after the big fire and his wife died there. He returned and married Caroline Klick. They are now living on the farm which he first bought. Mr. Gift has a family of four sons and two daughters.
C. M. DANIELS
Came here in 1839 and settled upon what is now M. Kelley's farm. After living here for four or five years they sold out and moved to Southern Illinois. He then studied medicine, and his patent medicine "Tantamiraculous" was for many years sold all over the United States. They afterward lived in Elgin but their home is now at Baxter Springs, Kansas. Their son, G. H. is a general passenger agent of the New York Central and Hudson River railroad, known as "as the greatest railroad of two continents" He is one of the most prominent railroad men in the United States. G. H. Daniels' son Bert, is secretary of the C. H. Woodruff Manufacturing Co., of Elgin. Our readers will remember the romantic story connected with his marriage to Gertrude Potter. C. H. Daniels daughter married Mr. Moseley, the first superintendent of the Elgin Watch Factory. She is a women of marked literary ability, and is the author of a well-known child's story "Little Zee".
And wife came to Illinois from New York in 1835, settling at or near what is now Marengo. Soon after he removed with his family, consisting of a wife and two sons Delos and Carlos to the old farm on the state road now owned and occupied by Richard Laue. While there, to them where born Alonzo, Edgar, Malcomb, Schuyler and James. Five of the sons are still living; Carlos, of Holt county, Neb.; Alonzo, of Marrinett, Wis.; Schuyler, and James, of California, and Malcomb, of this place. Phineas Howe died in May, 1853, his wife following him in September, 1865.
As is usual in all newly settled communities, the people were very hospital and neighborly. People living four and five miles apart were neighbors. The men would hitch up their ox teams, take their families and go visiting. Often three of four families would meet at one house to have a social time. Strangers looking over the land were always welcome. Though the houses were small there was always room for one more.
The people were busy with temporal things but they did not neglect the spiritual side of life. Prayer meetings were held at different houses and in 1839, Elder Whipple, a Methodist preacher, made his appearance. He was a circuit rider, who traveled over northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. He came occasionally and staid a week. He visited around among the people and would exhort at some house at which all the neighbors had gathered.
The first settlers took up claims before the government survey was made. They felt anxious in regard to it, as no matter what land a man might improve and cultivate, the quarter section on which his house stood was his legal homestead. In the summer of 1839 Squire Paddock brought the news that the surveyors were coming from the west. Mr. Starks, Mr. Allen, Mr. Hawley and other men and boys went out on the Coon Creek prairie, met the surveyors and accompanied them back. The section line in through what is now the village and is the road in front of I. V. Doty's farm.
In many cases bitter law suits and often bloodshed were caused by disputes over land, but in Hampshire these matters were settled peaceably. The land came into market in 1842 and after this those who pre-empted land had a year to raise the $1.25 per acre which was the price of it. The early farmers were raising livestock and corn and grain when...
THE TERRIBLE FIRE OF 1839
Swept through the country bringing destruction. One October morning people remarked that it was very hazy, soon burnt grass was borne along by the wind and hardly did they realize that a fire was coming until it was upon them. This fire swept from the Kishwaukee to the Fox. It was miles in width and fleeter than a horse. Deer and rabbits were afterward seen with their scorched hair, bearing witness to the fact that the fire's having passed over them. Prairie chickens were roasted in the long grass. Many flew up but the smoke suffocated them and they fell to the earth where they were afterward picked up.
An incident of the fire was told to me by John A. Allen. His father and older sons were working on the prairie farm now owned by Mrs. Henry Allen and only his mother and the children were home. They protected the house and then turned their attention to the stacks and stables when they discovered their hog pen was afire. They started to tear down the pen but it was covered with grass the flames were so hot that their efforts were ineffectual. The pigs were roasted in the pen, which was a great loss as hogs were very scarce at the time. For some reason the cinders almost as hard as stones and Mr. Allen finds some every year when plowing.
This section of the country early received the name "Pigeon Woods" by which it is known throughout the state. During the last twenty years this name has fallen in disuse, the name "Pigeon Woods" was given because one year the pigeons were so thick they broke the branches of the trees.
THE TOWNSHIP NAMED
March 3, 1840, Deerfield Precinct was made to include Township No. 41 and 42. Soon after this the people of the Township No. 42 met at Enoch O. Garland's to choose a name for the township. A lengthy discussion took place but no name could be agreed upon. Finally Mr. Garland rose and suggested that the township be named after his wife. She came from New Hampshire and so he had nick named her "Hampshire". This name was favorably received and unanimously agreed upon.
Enough people were living in Hampshire in 1840 to take an active interest in national politics. Old timers say there was more excitement over the presidential election of 1840, here, than the campaign of 1892. "Long John" Wentworth was the Democratic candidate for the congress from this district. He visited Hampshire and was driven to all the houses that he might shake hands with the people. It was a long time before the results of the election was known here. The stage went through Hampshire every other day and after about two weeks the boys were sent to the stage house each time the coach arrived to learn if the election news had come. In about six weeks news came that Harrison and Tyler were elected. The Democrats were the majority here, so the news did not cause the universal rejoicing. The invention of the telegraph has changed all this. Instead of waiting six weeks for election returns, the men can go down town election night and return at three o'clock in the morning to tell their wives the news- providing that their wives are not asleep or too angry to listen.
The people living here in 1840 all believed in slavery, or, if they did not, were not brave enough to voice their convictions. About that time David Shurtcliff, while looking over the land, drove onto the township and camped. It was nos'ed abroad that he was an abolitionist and much was said about it by the Wings and Democrats. Mr. Shurtcliff drove up to a house one morning to buy some wheat. The farmer looked out and said "There comes the Abolitionist" That was enough for the children who believed he must have horns, or at least, cloven feet. They got under the bed and remained there while he staid. They peeped out and saw only a pleasant man, kindly faced gentleman without any of the adjuncts popularly supposed to belong to satanic majesty. When he drove away they came out of their hiding place with their views regarding abolitionist somewhat modified. What a change half a century makes. Then this solitary abolitionist was looked upon with dislike, now we are all abolitionists. Mr. Shurtcliff settled in New Lebanon and was well known there.
Hezekiah Doty came here from Ohio in 1842. He owned several places here but sold out and went to California in 1851 where he now lives in San Jose. The next year Henry Doty and family arrived from Ohio. Mr. Doty took up the land, which is now his farm. He has always been an influential citizen and served two terms as supervisor. Mr. Doty says that when he hauled his grain to Chicago with a team the roads were so bad that he unloaded his bags five times during one trip. The farmer of today, with graveled roads and a comparatively short distance to the railroads, ought never grumble when he thinks of the hardships these "Old timers" experienced. Mrs. Doty died of the small-pox in 1851 having two sons and two daughters. Henry now lives in St. Clon--- Minn. Helen is Mrs. E. E. Rich. -------married Frank Camel. She is widowed living at Grand Summit, Kansas. Chauncey served in the army and died on the way home. Mr. Doty married Maria Page in 1854. They had three sons, Zeno died when seven years old. Will is now living with his parents here. Ward died died when a young man at Sioux City, Iowa.
Andrew Doty also settled in Hampshire in 1843. He was never married. His death occurred in 1890.
The next of the family to arrive were Phillip Doty and wife who settled on what is now the John Allen farm. This was in 1848. He afterward owned and lived on two other farms. Some years ago he sold his farm to Mike Kelley and has since lived in the village, Mr. and Mrs. Doty's family consists of six daughters and one son. Four daughters are married and not living here. Miss Addie teaches school in Elgin. Francis is Mrs. E. G. Ball of this place. Vernon is a member of the drug firm Doty & Norton. Mr. and Mrs. Elijah Doty, of Penn. settled in 1849 on the farm where Edward Doty now lives. Mr. Doty died at the age of seventy- seven but Mrs. Doty lived until the advanced age of ninety-seven years and eight months. Mr. and Mrs. Doty's family consisted of seven sons and five daughters. Ira lives in California and Aaron in Minnesota. The oldest daughter, Mary never married. She died at the old home. Lucinda married and lives in California. Ann married and returned to Pennsylvania, where she died. Lousia became the wife of John DeWolf. She is now dead. Sarah is Mrs. "Jack" Patchin, of Floyd Co. Iowa.
Wife and daughter came from Vermont in 1839 and spent several years at Rockford. They came to Hampshire in 1842 and kept a hotel on the state road several years. They then bought the place known as Calvin Coon farm. The daughter I have already mentioned as the wife of Julius A. Stark. Mr. Jepson was one of the first Justices of the Peace. He died in 1853 of consumption. Mrs. Jepson died in 1884 at the advanced age of seventy-five years.
Mr. and Mrs. Lucien Baldwin came here from Remington, Vermont in 1843. They bought the farm where she now lives. He died five years ago. Mr. Baldwin held the office of Supervisor two terms. He was also school trustee and Justice of the Peace. Their children are all living. One son, Duane, is our assessor, Charles lives in Pingree Grove, Ellen is Mrs. Scott Phillips, of Elgin, Annie lives at home.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Brown, of Pennsylvania, took up land in 1843, which is now owned by Mrs. Kirk. Mrs. Brown died a few years later and was buried in Doty Cemetery. Mr. Brown then married again and moved to the southern part of the state. He afterward went to California and died there. Henry Brown had five children by his first wife. Lois married Henry Allen Sr. and Betsy married Willard Allen, James Brown married Tressa Harney, and is owner of a large farm south of the village where they lived quite a number of years. Their home is now in Elgin. Mr. Brown is prominent in Kane county politics, and has been Supervisor of Hampshire. He was elected and served two terms as Sheriff of Kane county, from 1870 to 1873. Thomas Brown married Phoebe Page and moved to Kansas, where he died. Henry Brown went to California and now lives in Nevada.
In the time of the excitement of all going to California to mine, one of the early families had two children, their ages four and seven. Their grandmother told them if they wanted to go, they must be very brave and learn to sleep out doors. So hand and hand they went out and made a bed on an old sled and in a few minutes were fast asleep. To this day the survivor can remember how bright the stars shone that night. Henpeck was always headquarters for the early settlers, a place for sport and a lively spot generally. In 1847, William Humphrey Sr. bought the Penniman House. He made the hotel larger and built a fine ballroom. New barns went also put up.
The year following Moses Freightine built...
THE FIRST STORE IN THE TOWNSHIP
Gold was discovered in California in 1848 and in 1849 there was a great rush to the gold mines. Often poor young men wanted to go to the mines, who were not able to buy a team and outfit. They would get some well-to-do person to furnish them and agree to give half they made in a certain time to the ones sending them out. Mr. Humphrey fitted out one young man named Amos Root. He went to California in 1849 and agreed to send Mr. Humphrey half he made at the end of two years. He kept his word, and in 1851 Mr. Humphrey received $800 which more than covered the cost of sending Root out. Mr. Root afterwards visited Hampshire, but again returned to California. Root was the first man who went to California from this township. I will say for the benefit of my younger readers who consider going to California as a trip of four to six days, that in 1849 it took a man with a team from four to six months to make the trip overland.
As soon as Mr. Humphrey's hall was built, dancing parties were held in it. These were attended by old and young alike married and single. Men took their families and had a social time. In the winter of 1850 the first and only dancing school in Hampshire was taught by Professor Teft in Humphrey's hall. This school was held one evening each week and every other week a social dance was indulged in after the school closed, which was at 10:30 o'clock. The Irish fiddler who furnished the music was a great character. Those who used to go to the dancing schools say that when the school closed at 10:30 P. M. he was always drunk. But it was noticed that if the dance lasted all night he never was drunk until the close. The last night of the school a grand ball was held which was attended by the general public.
Mr. Humphrey died of consumption in 1855 and the same disease caused his wife's death six years later. Caroline Humphrey married and moved to Milwaukee, where she died. Addie married and went to Vermont to live. She is also dead. William Humphrey Jr. went to Iowa in 1854 and was a stage driver and a stage agent for Flint and Walker for a number of years. In 1859 he went to the mines of Colorado and also spent time in Montana and Nevada. He returned here about twenty years and was married to Miss. Mate Plummer of Rutland. They went to Nevada to live but came to Hampshire again and are now living here. "Wat" married Emiline Johnson and moved to Iowa in an early day, where he now lives. "Con" went to California in 1859 with Samuel Hawley. He married and lived there a few years, when he died of consumption. Roswell and Oscar both fought in the Rebellion. Oscar received a wound which caused his death. Roswell went to Nevada and is mining in the silver mines there.
The death of John Klick Sr. some weeks ago was the passing away of one of Hampshire's early settlers. Mr. Klick and family came here from Pennsylvania in 1847. Mrs. Klick died about nine years ago and Mr. Klick has since lived with his oldest daughter, Mrs. Moses Reams. His other children are Mrs. Samuel Gift, John and William of this place; Mrs. H. Schumaker, of Elgin; Mrs. E. Ream, Henry and Jonathon of Iowa. He will be greatly miss in the Evangelical society, of which he was a member for over forty years.
Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Barnard and family came from Canada in 1847 and settled on the farm now owned by C. A. Fassett. Mr. Barnard went to California in 1852. About two years later he told a friend that he was going home on the "Yankee Blade". The "Yankee Blade" was wrecked and a number of the passengers drowned. As Mr. Barnard was never heard of after, he is supposed to have been one of the lost. Mrs. Barnard died in Elgin in 1887. Her son,
S. G. BATES
Of Kingston, Canada, settled in May 1850, on the Coon Creek Prairie. He at once began to work at his trade shoemaking, which he -------- followed ever since. In 1860 he was married to Mrs. Antoinette Wood. They have one daughter Miss. Kate, who lives at home. In 1881, Mr. Bates built his store and residence in the village. He is our only boot and shoe merchant and has a large trade.
Mr. and Mrs. Getzelman, with their five children, arrived here from Germany, October 12, 1848. They settled on section 11 and lived in a log house without a floor, for six months. Mr. and Mrs. Getzelman died years ago at their home here. Their daughter, Margaret, married Mr. Hiply and lives in Elgin. Menry was unmarried and died in California about ten years ago. Michael, Jacob and Malichor married and settled in this township. They are among the wealthiest farmers. Malichor, is also a banker and a merchant in Elgin, but he and his wife live in their fine residence here.
Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Boyes and Ethan Boyes, of New York, came here in 1848. About four years later, Samuel Boyes went to Oregon. In 1861, his wife and children went to California, where he joined them. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Boyes are now dead. Ethan Boyes married Elizabeth Root, of Burlington. They moved to California, and are now keeping a hotel in Shasta county. Their son, Elmer and wife have lately come from California to this place. Ethan Boyes Sr., wife and their other children, of New York, settled here in 1851. Mr. and Mrs. Boyes died here. Ellen Boyes married Frank Garner. He went to California and died there and she afterwards married Israel Witcomb, but died soon after. John Boyes was never married. He died on his farm southeast of the village, in 1890.
Mr. and Mrs. Ball and family moved here from Kentucky in 1847. They sold their farm to Aaron Buzzell in 1856 and moved to Harmony. Mr. Ball died in Harmony and Mrs. Ball afterward went to Kansas where she died in 1890. Elizabeth Ball married S. C. Rowell. Sarah married Mr. Shallabacher. They went to California where they now live. The other daughters, Angeline and Caroline went to Missouri and married there. William married and settled in Maple Park. E. G. Ball is his son. Newton and Elbridge went to California. Edward died years ago.
As more settlers came into the township, mechanics were needed. Harrison Kimball and wife, came here in 1849. He built a blacksmith shop in Henpeck and worked at his trade. Two years later, the first and only ones to go from Hampshire to California by water started on their voyage. They were Harrison and Lafayette Kimball, Hezikiah Doty, Julius A. Starks and Levi Fowler. Harrison Kimball died soon after reaching Sacramento of small pox. His widow married Hugh Logue and they now live in Rutland. Henrietta Kimball is the wife of George Plummer, now of this village. Kate is Mrs. William Leavy, of Rutland.
S. C. Rowell succeeded Moses Freightine in the store and in 1851 John Wales also opened a store in Henpeck. Mr. Wales moved to Huntley and lived there for several years and finally went to Montana where he died. Mrs. John Klick is his daughter.
About 1849, John Coole came to Hampshire from Canada and soon opened a blacksmith shop, keeping it for many years. He was an auctioneer and also served several terms as constable. He is now living in Iowa and this fall paid a visit to his daughter, Mrs. M. E. Howe and renewed many old time acquaintances.
Mr. and Mrs. Seymour A. Keyes, three daughters and a son arrived here from Massachusetts in 1850. They first lived in a log house where John Baker's house now stands. Four years later they bought the Tullock farm which is now the eastern part of the village. Their first house stood where E. E. Rich's residence now is. In 1877 they built the house now occupied by Mrs. S. E. Keyes and W. H. Keys and family. Mr. Keyes held the offices of assessor and tax collector. Their eight children are Mrs. N. S. Carlisle, of St. Charles; Mrs. Enoch Hedger, of West Side, Iowa; Mrs. W. H. Divide, of Burlington; Mrs. Carlisle, Mrs. S. Hawley, Mrs. Chas. Holtgren and W. H. Keyes, of this place. S. E. Keyes is superintendent of the county poor farm at Batavia.
Mr. and Mrs. David Reid, Sr., of Toronto, Canada, came to Hampshire in 1850 and settled on the farm where Mr. Reid and A. Walker now live. Mrs. Reid has been dead for many years. Three of their children are living. One son and one daughter are dead. Martha is Mrs. A. Walker; Dr. Chas. P. was a successful physician here for some years and is now practicing medicine in Kansas City; John Reid is a lawyer and banker, also in Kansas City. D. Reid Sr., was at one time a justice of the peace. "Uncle David" as he is familiarly known, is one of our most respected citizens. He always takes an active part in the church and temperance work.
June 8, 1847, all the precincts were arranged to contain a single congressional township each. Hampshire precinct was Township No. 42, Range 6. The new state constitution was adopted in 1848. Under this constitution the question of township organization was submitted to the vote of the county. It was adopted by a vote of 1786 to 34. The county commissioners' court ended in 1849. In its place was a county consisting of a judge and two associates. The first supervisors were elected in 1850.
April 2, 1850, the election in Hampshire was held in Garland stage house and the following officers were elected:
Supervisor, J. A. Starks
Town Clerk, W. H. Seymour
Collector, Henry Doty
Assessor, Chris. Cleaves
Commissioners of Highways, Thomas Tullock and Charles Patchin
Justice of the Peace, Francis Jepson and Isaac Paddock
Constables, John Coole and Henry Hawley
Overseer of the Poor, Dr. Thomas Fowler
Mr. and Mrs. James Dickson and children, of New York, settled in 1850 on the old homestead now owned by Ed. Dickson. Here James Dickson died in 1875 and Mrs. Dickson died in 1890. Their daughter is Mrs. A. Gleason. Lafayette married Lucy Ream and they are now living in Wyoming. Solon married Carla Skinner. His death occurred in 1865. Sheridan married a Miss. Smith. After her death he married Abbie Brown and they live in Elgin. C. L. now lives on his farm in Plato. Dennis died in Kansas several years ago. Ed Dickson married Miss Maggie Smith. They have lately moved to the village.
George Tullock, wife and family and Thomas Tullock were early settlers from Ohio, George Tullock's house was were E. E. Rich's now is. He sold the place to S. E. Keyes in 1854 and moved to Batavia. He dropped dead in the street in that city. Mrs. Tullock died suddenly in Aurora in 1890. They had a large family, most of whom are now dead. Thomas Tullock was a carpenter and built the frame schoolhouse in the township. He married and lived in Old Hampshire several years and then moved to Minnesota.
Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Lane and daughters, of New York, arrived here in July, 1851, from New York State. They lived on their farm until 1882, when they came to the village to live. Mr. Lane died in 1882. One daughter Nora, died at twelve years of age. Mary married C. A. Fassett and they are one of our first families; active in church and benevolent work.
Early in the 1850's, Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Treman, of New York, came here and settled on the farm now owned by August Japp. They afterwards sold their farm and came to the village to live. Several years ago they moved to Sycamore and then to Zearing, Iowa, where they now live on their farm. Their three daughters are Mrs. Clark Wilson, of Chicago; Mrs. John Graft, of Zearing Iowa; and Mrs. George Flemming, of Elgin. Their son, Frank, married Miss. Maggie Powers, of Burlington. His death occurred in 1891. Mrs. Treman and their three children are living here.
In December, 1853, Silas Baldwin, with his wife and daughter arrived from Bennington county, Vermont. The daughter became the wife B. DeWitt and lives in Elgin. Their two children born here died of scarlet fever in 1859. Mrs. Baldwin's death occurred in 1878, and in 1889 Mr. Baldwin was married in Michigan to Mrs. Louisa Norton, of Poultney, Vermont. The many offices which he has held are evidence of the respect and esteem with which he has always been regarded. He was Supervisor in 1868, '69 and '70. He was school director twenty years, school trustee fifteen years and road commissioner twelve years. He was Superintendent of the Methodist Sunday School several years when the school was held in the village school house. A year before the civil war, District No. 3 bought a school library. Ichabod Hawley was librarian a short time but Mr. Baldwin held the office and kept the library at his house until he sold his farm a few years ago, when he turned the books over to the directors and they now a part of the high school library.
Captain Wm. H. Warner and family came here from Ohio in May 1854, and bought the S. B. West place. In November of the same year his father and mother, also of Ohio, came here to live. They spent the remainder of their lives here, Jacob Warner dying in 1887, at the age of eighty years, and Elizabeth Warner dying in 1889 at age eighty-one. Captain Warner's wife died in 1855, leaving a son and daughter. George is married and carries on the Warner farm, Mary is Mrs. Geo. Sloan of this place. Mr. Warner again married in 1857 to Miss. Sadie Dickson. Mr. Warner carried on his farm here until war time. Mention will be made of his war record later on. After the war he came home and began farming again. He then bought a ranch in Texas and went there to live. Here one daughter by his second wife died in 1882 and his wife followed her. Chapman who lives with his father at the Commercial hotel.
Mr. and Mrs. John Rineck, Sr., arrived here from Germany in 1854. They settled on the farm now owned by their son George. They are both yet living. Their oldest son, Lawrence, lives at Lowville, Minn. George married Emma Maushak and carries on the family farm. John married Caroline Maushak and is a proprietor of the Commercial hotel here. Michael was in the hotel with his brother several years but is now in the livery business in Chicago. His wife was Miss. Kate Schutz. Mary married Henry Leitner and they now live in Elgin.
DR. THOS. FOWLER
of Ashtabula county, Ohio, came here in 1846. He had a wife and three children. Dr. Fowler was the first resident physician here. He had a long and successful practice here but moved to Iowa in 1869 where he and his wife died. Their oldest son Levi started, in 1851, to go to California by water. He was taken sick with fever at the Isthmus and was advised to return to his home. He started back but never returned, dying in Ohio. The other son, Frank married Mary Seymour, his death occurred in Iowa. The daughter Margaret, is Mrs. John Coole, Iowa.
Dr. Gilman, also of Ohio, came here and went into partnership with Dr. Fowler in 1850. After practicing some time in Hampshire he removed to Canada Corners, where he now lives.
About ten years after the first settlement here improvements on farm machinery and the invention of labor saving machines began. In 1846 a reaper, to be used instead of a cradle was bought. They were so expensive that every farmer could not afford to buy one and so some still used cradles, while three or four would often club together and buy a reaper. Four horses drew the reaper and a man stood on the ----and raked the grain off in bundles. A threshing machine was then first used, which threshed the grain, but not separate it from the chaff. The men raked the straw out and another invention delivered them from the old way of shoveling the grain up to blow the chaff away; fanning mills were made at Batavia, Illinois men drove around the country with long wagons on which were the fanning mills that ----- ready sale. Now the farmers were happy; they thought that no further improvements could possibly be made. But three years later a reaper which raked the grain off itself and saved the labor of one man, was put on the market. New threshing machines which separate chaff and grain were also used. After the war, the Mash Harvester which was supposed to be perfection itself, was invented. Two men stood on the table, bound the grain and threw it off. But, in 1880 a self binding harvester, the one now used, replaced the Masher Harvester. The threshing machines have been constantly improved upon and now no one threshes without one.
More of the history.....
Return to the Main Index Page for Kane County