HISTORY OF HAMPSHIRE
WRITTEN IN 1893 BY GERTRUDE HAWLEY
Transcribed and contributed to Illinois Genealogy Trails by Laurie Selpien, ©2005
In 1893, the Hampshire Register ran a contest on who could write the best History of Hampshire. Miss Gertrude Hawley, was the winner of the $10 prize offered by the Register for the best history of the township.
[Transcriber's Note: "I found the original articles in the Hampshire library and transcribed them. There are places where I could not read and I had to leave blank. I also found mistakes in her genealogical history, but they are a wonderful glimpse into life in Hampshire before 1893." Laurie Selpien]
Topics on Page 1:
Topics on Page 2:
HAMPSHIRE HAUNTED HOUSE
THE EVANGELICAL CHURCH
C. W. A. Y. M.
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
THE SOLDIERS AID SOCIETY
HAMPSHIRE MILITARY HISTORY
VILLAGE OF HAMPSHIRE
HAMPSHIRE HAUNTED HOUSE
The history of Hampshire would not be complete without a haunted house, and as there has been one here I will give an account of it. Sam Hawley Sr., built a log house in 1837. This he replaced in 1849 with a frame building of a large dimensions for the time. In the spring of 1859, the youngest son, Ichabod, and his mother were the only members of the family living there. Mr. Hawley was dead and the older sons had gone west. Owing to his failing health, Ichabod went to California and Mrs. Hawley went to Iowa to live with her son Nelson. The house and farm were rented to McClellan. He occupied the house until the spring of 1861, then James Dickson bought it. During the time Mr. McClellan lived there he discovered that the house was haunted. Noises were heard in the cellar, such as sawing boards nailing up coffins and other light work. A man was seen to come from the cellar to the cupboard. If anyone ventured to approach him, he vanished away. The doors would fly open and could not be kept shut. If a knife was placed over the door latch it would fly across the room while the door opened in it's usual mysterious manner. This set the neighborhood gossips at work. They said ghost must be the reason for all this. It was decided that a murder had been committed there for all well-regulated haunted houses have been the scenes of murders. ------- said it could not be McClellan because ghost never haunt the ones who commit the deed but always innocent parties. Others said it must have been the Hawley family. It had been decided that the house was haunted and that the Hawley's had committed murder there, a suitable victim was necessary. Several consultations of the leading men and women were held and it was decided that a peddler named Fisher had been the victim. It was so currently reported that a murder had been committed in the Hawley house that everyone speculated about it. Mothers had no need to hunt for the little ones at night, for they were too afraid of seeing the ghost to venture out after dark. Men who were little boys at the time inform me that when they went to bed, they pulled the quilts over their heads and never looked out until morning. When another family moved into the haunted house, the scene was changed. They could hear the ghost dragging lumber from the garret to the cellar. Lights would appear and disappear mysteriously. As matters were going from bad to worse, another consultation of the braves was held. It was decided that the matter must be investigated at once. Some said they probably buried the peddler under the well. But the older ones said no. The murder happened in the winter and the well was frozen down so solidly that they couldn't pry it up the curb to put him under. They must have buried him in the cellar. This theory was finally accepted. After the body was located in the cellar, the counsel adjourned to meet the next evening and appointed a committee to dig up the corpse. The committee met with picks, shovels and lanterns. After a prayer by the chief grave-robber, for grave-robbers always pray before commencing their ghoulish acts, the digging began. Some held the lanterns, while others held their breath. After digging for hours they found a button. At this writing I am unable to state who has this relic, but it is undoubtedly the cherished possession of one of the party. I have already said that it is decided that the Hawley's had murdered the peddler, but some evidence was needed to convict them of the crime.
Other searching parties visited the scene of the murder to search for the corpse. More digging in the cellar followed and the earth around the house was tramped upon in the hope of finding the hidden corpse. Many people believed that the house was haunted while others ridiculed the idea. I will relate an incident to show the feeling about the matter. A stranger bought a farm in the township and then bought an unoccupied house on the Terwiller place which joined the Hawley farm. He secured help and moved the house to his farm. Those who helped him told of the haunted house and wondered if that was the one. He did not want to live in a haunted house, so that very night he walked several miles to see some of the older settlers and find out what house it was. If it had been the haunted house, he would have moved it back at once.
I suppose my readers are wondering who the peddler, Fisher, was and how the story of his having been murdered at the Hawley house originated. I shall have to go back to the history of the township to give an account of the peddler. In the fall of 1849 two men appeared in Hampshire with a newfangled threshing machine. They had traveled through the west and south with a peddler's wagon which they exchanged for the machine. The grain was put on stacks onto the machine. Then four or five teams attached to it drove around the field. This set the machine in motion and the straw was separated from the grain and fell to the ground while men standing on the machine filled the bags. The driving was in a circuit so that when one load was threshed the machine might be at the stack ready to begin again. These men Mathews and Fisher sold the machine to Bassett in the fall but were not to receive their money until January. They boarded during the winter at Samuel Hawley, Sr., and sold goods, which they had left from their peddler's wagon. Gold had been discovered in California and many people had the gold fever. Mathews wanted to go to the gold mines, but Fisher thought he was as far west as he wished to be. In January they dissolved partnership and Mathews went to Dubuque, Iowa, and staid with friends until spring when he went to California.
Fisher remained here until March, Henry Hawley took him to Elgin, where he took a train for Chicago and was never seen here after. Fisher opened a small grocery store on Lake street, but afterward went into wholesale business. He is now a member of the firm Murdock & Fisher. Now isn't it strange that they didn't find Fisher corpse at the haunted house? And isn't it stranger to note what ignorance and superstitions will do in what is suppose to be an enlightened community? When Jacob Rinn bought the Hawley farm there were two houses on it, so the haunted hose was moved to another part of the farm and converted into a granary. This must have laid the ghost as he has not been seen or heard from since.
The first thought on the early settlers was the education of their children. During the first few years there were no schools but the people taught their children the rudiments of knowledge at home. February 12, 1842, Zenas Allen, Samuel Hawley and Thomas Whittemore were elected school trustees. They held a meeting at E. O. Garland's and appointed E. J. Allen treasurer. March 5, 1842, the vote to incorporate was carried. The township was divided into districts and directors were elected as follows;
District No. -, E. O. Garland, Bevi Willard and N. Penniman.
No. 2 - Isaac Paddock, Benjamin DeWitt and Wm. Pierce.
No. 3 - A. G. Allen, Hilda Coon and Norman Hawley
The next thing to be done was to build schoolhouses. The first one was in district 2 on the site of our present village school building. The men of the district built a one-room log house with a sod roof. Planks with holes bored through them to hold the wooden legs in place, served as seats. Every scholar furnished the back for his own seat, those who had the strongest backs had the best backing. There were no desks for these seats, but one long desk at the side of the room was used for a writing desk. Not having county superintendents in those times, the school trustees examined those who wished to teach. They were examined in reading, spelling, writing and arithmetic, as those were the only studies taught at first. Brawn as well as brain was necessary and some of the lightweight teachers of the present time, would have -----no show then. Miss. Jane Marvin, ---- St. Charles, was the first teacher.
It was about this time that the older girls started moral crusade. They drew up a pledge and asked the boys to sign it. It was to abstain from use of liquor and tobacco. Quite a number of the boys signed it, until they heard another pledge the girls were signing. The girls pledge was that they would not accept the company of any young man refusing to sign the other pledge. The "bad" boys, who refused to sign, persuaded others not to. The girls could then keep their pledge and go without beaus or, they could break it. It is needless to say that they broke it. There was only one girl who would not take the pledge. The others accused her of being desirous of enjoy the company of the other sex but they …….win her to look at the matter from their own point of view. It is remarkable fact that she is almost the only girl who went to school at that time whose husband neither used tobacco or liquor.
The principals since 1876 were George Gardner, Ralph Hollembeak, R. T. Wilcox, Harry Eaton, Frank Wantland, Mrs. S. N. Baird, the present principal, has filled the position since September 1890. The other teachers are Miss Lucy Pease, Grammar room; Miss Rosa Schulz, Second Intermediate; Miss Lucy Ream, First Intermediate; and Miss Winnifred Downs, Primary.
There are now about 214 scholars all but 15 of whom live in the district. The first class to graduate was in 1886. It had two members a boy and a girl. In 1887 a class consisting of three boys and four girls, was graduated. There were no graduates that next two years but in 1890 a class of two boys and eight girls graduated. The class of 1891 was six boys and three girls. Four girls received diplomas in 1892. Two boys and four girls are now in the senior year. The present board of education is C. W. Werthwein, C. A. Fassett, and C. H. Backus, there are seven other school districts in the township, containing about 375 scholars.
THE EVANGELICAL CHURCH
In 1845 several families moved from Ohio to Hampshire and in 1844? Rev. S. Baumgardner, who was then presiding elder of the Illinois district, visited them. Rev. C. Lintner also paid them a visit in and preached to them. In 1845, Rev. G. A. Blank was sent to these people as their regular pastor. He organized them into a class and brother John Aurand Sr., was elected class leader. The class consisted of only seven members. They organized a Sunday school in 1847. Having no church in which to hold the meetings they met in private homes. In 1850 John Aurand Sr. gave the ground, which has always been the cemetery for the Evangelical church people. In 1853 the built their parsonage, which cost about $300. The society increased and there were continually added of those that believed and were saved, so they determined to build a church. They built this church in 1858, in size 32 by 40, at a cost of $1200. It was about three miles northeast of this village. The society was now divided into three classes, which shows the prosperous condition in which it stood at the time. In 1885, they built a church in the village of Hampshire and sold their old church in the country. The new church is 34 by 56 feet and cost $3,097. The year following they also built a suitable parsonage. Rev. J. Koeller collected the money for building the new church. He resigned his pastorate in the fall of 1885, Rev. G. Lechler filled the vacancy until the spring conference. Rev. Fred Schwartz was the pastor from 1886 to 1889. Rev. Wm. Forkel was pastor from 1889 to 1891. Rev. C. Dissemier was here one year and now Rev. Peter Himmel is the beloved pastor of a large congregation.
The women's work does not stop with these societies which are locally beneficial. The ladies of the Evangelical Church have had a Women's Foreign Missionary Society since Feb. 34, 1887. It numbers seventeen members and the meetings are held the first Thursday afternoon in each month. It was under the society that the steeple of the Evangelical Church was raised and the bell put in. The president is Mrs. P. Himmel; vice president Mrs. E. Werthwein; secretary, Mrs. Carl Schaan; corresponding secretary, Mrs. Levi Ream; treasurer, Mrs. Wm. Widmayer. The women's Foreign Missionary of the M. E. has been organized since January, 1892, meetings are held the first Saturday of each month. There is a membership of fifty-five.
The office holders are:
President, Mrs. C. A. Fassett
Vice-President Mrs. Cass Davis
Rec. Sec., Mrs. W. H. Keys
Cor. Sec. Miss Stella McDonough
Treasurer, Mrs. Titus
C. W. A. Y. M.
The Christian Workers Among Young Men organized Sept. 14, 1890. Their object was the spiritual, intellectual, social and physical welfare of young men. The association has since held weekly Sunday afternoon meetings for Bible study and business and social meetings, etc. as often as deemed advisable. The standing committees of the association are the look out social, devotional and finance committees.
The present officers are;
President G. M. Ream
Vice Pres., H. N. Carlisle
Secretary, W. E. Doty
Treasurer, H. E. Rich
Librarian, Albert Ream
There are now twenty-one members, several of the most active members having withdrawn and moved to other places. The rooms of the association are in Rich building over the harness shop. No pleasanter place for a young man to pass his spare time could be found. There are two book cases full of books, the daily and weekly papers and magazines on file, games, an organ, a writing table etc., in the parlors. A bathroom is a late addition to the conveniences of the place. The moral worth and Christian character of the members of the association demonstrate its uplifting influence among the young men of the town.
A chapter of the Epworth League was organized in the Methodist Church Dec. 16, 1890. There are fifty-one members
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
Prior to the year 1878 the Catholic people who lived scattered in a radius of five or six miles from Hampshire had no place of worship nearer than Huntley, Gilberts or Sycamore. It was not only inconvenient for them to attend church so far a distance, but at certain times during the year it cost them many hardships and sacrifices to travel a distance of nine or ten miles for the purpose of assisting in divine worship on Sunday and other days of obligation. In the year 1878 the number of Catholic families had increased to such an extent that it was deemed opportune and even a matter of necessity to erect a church in Hampshire, to which project Bishop Foley of Chicago, readily gave his consent. But as every society must have a leader to obtain success in reaching the object or purpose desired, so the embryo congregation of all things needed a pastor for its guide. The Bishop authorized Rev. Chas. Rosenbauer of Chicago to visit the Catholic people of Hampshire every other Sunday, to organize a congregation, to conduct religious services and to assist in erecting a suitable building for a church. A more zealous man than Fr. Rosenbauer could hardly have been commissioned for the amount of work to accomplish; a man of superior energy and gifted with an indomitable willpower. He succeeded well in the erection of the church-building and after the expiration of the first year of his pastorate, he enjoyed the merited satisfaction of seeing himself surrounded by a fair sized flock. It is proper and right to state that Wm. Shatters Sr. and John Hammond, both residents of Hampshire took an active part in the building of the church and collecting the necessary funds and they deserve much credit for their noble and unselfish work done in the interest of the church and the laudable motives by which they were actuated in their enterprise.
When Rev. Rosenbauer had ministered to the spiritual wants of the congregation about a year, it was the opinion of himself and the people that the church was sufficiently strong to have its own resident pastor. In order to accomplish this object the erection of a pastoral residence became a necessity, which (this) obstacle however, was easily overcome, for all the members taking a lively interest in the matter of securing a steady pastor, the fine parsonage facing the church was soon built. The first permanent pastor was Rev. Andrew Michals. He served and administered the affairs of the church for two years, when he died on the 17th day of January 1883. During the time of Father Michals' administration, a plot of two acres of land about a mile south of the village, was purchased and laid out for a cemetery, while several other improvements of minor importance were also made by him.
Father Michals' successor was Rev. W. Revis. But as he was a man already far advanced in years, he resigned his charge March 17, 1885, having administered the duties of his pastoral office just two years. A short time after, April 10, 1885, the Rev. C. J. Huth was sent here by the Arch Bishop Feehan to assume charge of the church. He has been the pastor ever since and it can be truly said that his pastorate has been marked with much success, both the spiritual and material point of view, from beginning until the present. His congregation has more than doubled under his fostering care and executive management and the attentive observer cannot but draw the conclusion that the Catholic congregation is in a healthful and prosperous condition . After father Huth's first year of labor it became apparent that the church was not by any means large enough to accommodate the people who flocked thither on Sundays and other days of obligation. Preparation was therefore at once made to build an addition to the church which is now in dimensions 36 feet wide and …feet long. It has a seating capacity of _00 persons. It contains three beautiful alters, all made of hardwood; its Interior is tastefully decorated and new stained glass windows of a very pretty design add to its interior beautiful appearance. Not only has the church has been enlarged and improved, but also the pastor's residence received its share of improvements, both inside and out and the church and parsonage are a credit to Hampshire and an honor to the people whose generosity has built them. The Catholic church at present numbers 100 families or about 500 souls, children included, and 350 actual commun-nts.
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The Methodist circuit rider early visited this section of country, on horseback with Bible and hymolin saddle-bags, to all frontier settlements, and Bancroft says saved -------at northwest from barbarism. They preached to small congregations that gathered in the cabin homes of the pioneers. Sometimes the early circuits covered a wide territory, requiring six or eight weeks to make the rounds of the preaching appointments. Sometimes a preacher appointed to a distant charge in Wisconsin, Iowa or the mission at Galena lead mission, would stop and preach at the larger settlements. Though they did not get acquainted with the people, they scattered seed by the way. The early settlers were from the south largely and these circuit riders came from Virginia, Indiana and Kentucky and introduced here the southern form of Methodism. The first Methodist appointed for this section was made in 1803 and was called "Illinois" as it embraced the state and the west. In 1825 Jessie Walker was appointed Missionary to the Pottawatomie Indians in this section and the celebrated Peter Cartwright was presiding elder. The report of Rev. Jessie Walker in 1829 was made from the Fox River mission, as he followed that stream upriver. In 1835 Rev. William Royal was appointed to the Fox River Mission one of the preaching places being somewhere near Pigeon Woods. In 1836 all this section included in the Sycamore circuit, which made up "of all the appointments established by William Royal that summer between the Fox and Rock Rivers." In 1837 Rev. Stephen Arnold the preacher-in-charge organized a Methodist class at the home of Elias Crary (afterward Chicken Grove) appointment a few miles south east of Hampshire.
The first quarterly meeting was held ---- 1839 by Rev. T. W. Whipple, who preached in the homes of the people in this precinct. Among these early preachers was Rev. Robert Williams, a local preacher, who rendered valuable assistance in establishing the early preaching places. The years 1839 to 1841 inclusive were seasons of prosperity here and many large revivals were held at various points. These were succeeded by great encampments held in June, 1841, on Stephen Archer's farm near the Chicken Grove appointment. There has never been in the bounds of the Rock River Conference another such camp meeting. It was held by Rev. J. T. Mitchell, the presiding elder, assisted by Rev. S. H.? Stocking. O.A. Walker, M. Bourne, and others. People came from all settlements round about, and up and down Fox River, and sinners were stricken down in that strange abnormal way so common in the early days. The favorite song, which was revived in the Sunday schools twenty years later, was "I have a father in the promised land."
In 1845 the Crystal Lake circuit included nine preaching appointments, one of which was at "Morris" (Harmony) and another at Pigeon Woods (Old Hampshire) and Rev. Henry Minard was preacher-in-charge. About this time the first move in the Sunday school line was introduced by Rev. James Mitchell, the presiding elder, who held conventions for that purpose. The class at "Morris" reported a Sunday school of forty members.
In 1852 the Crystal Lake circuit and the Pleasant Grove (Marengo) circuit was organized, one of the preaching places being Hampshire. Another appointment was Shapley school house (Harmony). Rev. Lewis Anderson was preacher-in-charge and Rev. Luke Hitchcock was presiding elder. The Circuit remained the same for four years.
In 1855 Rev. W. D. Skelton was pastor and a church was built that year in at Harmony. At a quarterly conference held at Harmony in July, 1856, it was voted to divide the growing circuit, and a new charge was organized, composed of the following preaching appointments: Harmony, Huntley, Hampshire, East Prairie, and Coon Creek. The circuit remained practically the same for some years with no further conference changes, although several preaching appointments were from time to time established in the township. One was at Browntown, one at Holstein, another at the Bell School House, another at Reid School House. None of these, however, appear to have become a regular appointment. It was not discontinued until 1870.
In July, 1873, a Sunday school was organized at Hampshire Center, by Rev. R. H. Wilkinson, the preacher-in-charge, and the next year his successor, Rev. O. E. Burch, reports Hampshire Center as an appointment. The services were held in the Whelpley School House. At the quarterly conference held February 22, 1875, a committee was appointed to secure the site for the church at Hampshire Center, but there is no record of a final report of this committee. The matter was given to another committee by the quarterly conference held in Hampshire June 10, 1876, and the Burlington charge was requested to appoint a similar committee to co-operate in forming a new society. The committee was B. J. Hawkins, Lucian Baldwin, J.W. Bean, and A. D. McFaul. The next quarterly conference appointed the preacher-in-charge, Rev. T.W.P. Jordan and J.W. Bean a committee to represent the new charge at the annual conference, and from this time Hampshire appears as an appointment in the conference minutes.
The first quarterly conference was held in Hampshire, November 26, 1877, by Rev. B. H. Cartwright, was pastor. B. J. Hawkins was class leader and E. J. Wagner was Sunday School superintendent. C. A. Fassett was elected recording steward, a position which either he or his wife has filled ever since. The church was built at a cost of $2400. The report to the next session of the annual conference shows there were seventy members and $3500 worth of church and parsonage property. There have been but few changes since the appointment was organized.
Before the building of the church at Hampshire Center, the charge had a parsonage in Harmony, but in 1874 the pastor removed to Huntley for better accommodations. After the change to Hampshire and Harmony there was no parsonage at the principal preaching place on the circuit. In 1893 the present parsonage was built, Rev. Myron L. Norris being preacher-in-charge. The church was also remodeled and new additions built on in 1890 when Rev. W. H. Locke was pastor.
The charge retained many of the old circuit system of pastoral supply until a late date, and during the pastorate of Rev. H? Locke several new preaching places were established. But a change was made in the appointment at the conference of 1891, when it was made Hampshire and Burlington. The conference of 1892 dropped the out appointment and Hampshire changed from circuit to a station. The present membership numbers 10 probationers, 105 members in full connection, 164 Sunday school scholars, and is prosperous.
League Officers are:
President, Stella McDonough,
First Vice Pres., Calla Fassett,
2nd " " May Rich
3rd " " Gertrude Hawley
4th " " George Watts
Secretary, May Reid,
Treasurer, Chas. Farrell
The devotional meetings are held each Tuesday evening and social, literary and business meetings are also carried on. A junior League has since been organized and is now successfully carried on with Miss May Rich as president and other efficient officers.
Miller Post # 453 of the Grand Army of the Republic was organized in May1884. The Post meets the first and third Saturday evening of each month. The meetings are now being held in the village hall, which was built in 1883.
The officers are:
S.A. Ream, Commander
Wm. Buzzell, Senior Vice.
John Haines, Junior Vice
C. A. Fassett, Quartermaster
E.E. Rich, Adjutant
Tobias Miller, Surgeon
George Baker, Chaplain
H.S. Dewitt, Officer of the Guard.
Another organization to which we can point with pride is the band which was organized last year. Professor Hecker, of Elgin, teaches the band boys one evening each week.
President and leader, G. H. York
Manager, C. H. Steinwart
Secretary, John Weaver
Treasurer, J. F. Janecke
The women of Hampshire are helping to bind the world with a white ribbon. Sixty-three of them, with nine men as honorary members, are in the Women's Christian Temperance Union which was organized here May 10, 1886. They meet each Wednesday. The officers are:
President, Mrs. Wm. Buzzell
Vice Presidents Mrs. Cass Davis and Miss Lydia Dettmer
Recording Secretary Mrs. M. G. Ball
Corresponding Sec. Miss Calla Fassett
Treasurer, Mrs. Homer Gleason
Besides temperance work they do at home, they help the cause in other places and are raising $100 for the Temperance Temple in Chicago. Mrs. C. A. Fassett is the efficient leader of the Loyal Legion, which meets every other Sunday afternoon.
THE SOLDIERS AID SOCIETY
WHAT HAMPSHIRE'S LOYAL WOMEN DID TO HELP THEIR LOVED ONES ON THE BATTLE FIELD
In the history of what part the people of any locality took in the war, honorable mention should be made, not only to the soldiers in the field, but of the women at home who sent the products of time and labor to cheer the soldiers in camp and hospital.
April 7, 1863, Lieutenant Winslow delivered an address at the Whelpley School House. After the address, the ladies organized themselves into a Soldiers Aid Society. The following officers were elected:
President, Mrs. Lucian Baldwin
Vice President, Mrs. John Parker
Secretary, Mrs. Henry Doty
Treasurer, Mrs. James Isbell.
A collection of $10.55 was taken and the society adjourned to meet April 15th with Mrs. James Isbell. At this meeting it was decided that ten cents should be the admittance fee and that the president use the $10.55 to purchase cloth to make hospital garments of. Also decided that a day r two before shipment, some one should collect eggs so that they would be fresh, but fruit, vegetables, etc. should be brought in when the donors saw fit. Mrs. Henry Doty, the secretary, was appointed to write the constitution and bt-laws for the society. This Mrs. Doty did and I give preamble as written by her:
"We, the loyal women of Hampshire, Kane County, Illinois, do believe, without a shadow of a doubt, that the present terrible calamity of civil war was brought upon our beloved country by the unprovoked encroachment of the slave-power for the purpose of either deluging or submerging our whole land in the terrible miasma of sin known as American slavery or failing this, to dismember and thereby mutilate the fair proportions of our inheritance; an inheritance cemented and made sacred by the blood, the wisdom and the treasures of our ancestors, either of these alternatives would entail to us and to our posterity the most degrading dishonor and perhaps the loss of our nationality. And who so lost to that God given faculty of the mind and love of country, that she could for a moment contemplate so direful a calamity, one so fraught with woe, without her cheek paling, her eye dimming, her voice failing and the whole faculties of mind reeling? To prevent the accomplishment of these woes the cohorts of treason must be met on sanguinary battlefield. The blood of our fathers, our husbands, our sons, our brothers, our lovers, too, must flow. Now what is our duty, as mothers, as wives, as sisters, as daughters and as sweethearts? Is it to abandon ourselves to unavailing tears and to write of weeping and wailing epistles to the absent that would do more towards unmanning and unnerving the brave defenders of our rights than a whole phalanx of rebel bayonets could? No, we should and we will emulate the self-sacrificing spirit of our mothers of the Revolution. Furthermore, be it resolved, that we the loyal women of Hampshire, Kane County, Illinois, do unite and form ourselves into an organized society for the purpose of producing more co-operation. Society to be known as the Hampshire Soldiers Aid Society: the society to act in conjunction with the Northwestern Sanitary Commission, Chicago. Also be it resolved, that in consideration of the foregoing facts and resolutions we adopt the following as our constitution."
The main provisions of the constitution were as follows: "The president shall preside, nominate committees and perform the usual duties of that officer. The vice president shall act as president when she is absent and if society thinks best, canvass the town for supplies. The secretary shall keep a record of each meeting, conduct correspondents and keep the records and books of the society. She shall record the names of members present at each meeting this to be done at 2:30 p.m., those coming later to give excuse if they wish to be marked present. The treasure shall keep an account and shall be responsible for moneys received by her and pay any orders marked correct and signed by the president. She must also state the condition of the treasury when called upon by the society to do so. Directresses shall assist in cutting out work and endeavor to have a sufficient quantity prepared for the meeting. They shall distribute the work to ladies of the society and see that it is properly done. Officers may form a committee of the whole on ways and means of strengthening and increasing the efficiency of the society."
The president of the society purchased thread, shirting, prints, cotton cloth, tin cans, kegs etc., for the use of the society. At the meetings the ladies made shirts, handkerchiefs, towels, bandages, dressing gowns, Pillowcases, sheets, pads, underclothing and also pieced quilts. They also packed the articles brought for shipment. Butter, eggs, vegetables, herbs, treats and Bibles, as well as money, were donated. I give the program of their meetings, which were held once a week.
Society called to order.
Reading of the minutes by secretary and their approval.
Report of the board of directresses.
July 8, 1863, twenty one members pledged themselves to pay not less than five cents a week from date until the Aid Society should no longer be needed. The society held two meetings 4th of July celebrations one in 1863 and in 1864. These were held in Isbell's wood near where M. C. Getzelman's residence now is. At the first picnic the proceeds were $96.70 and the proceeds of the second were $2??.75. The expenditure of the first year was $112. 18 and the receipts $135.78, leaving a balance of $23.60.
April 7, 1864, twenty three members were present -- Mrs. Robert Burns' and the elected the following officers. President Mrs. Henry Doty; vice president, Mrs. Aaron Buzzel; secretary, Miss Sarah Doty; treasurer, Mrs. Robert Burns. During the second year the ladies pieced three quilts. The quilting was held at Mrs. Lucian Baldwin's and about one hundred people including the men were present. The quilts were afterward sold by lottery and brought $70.90
Barns' history says that the Christian and Sanitary commissions provided for every want and soul and body. I am sure that the women of this township did their share in furnishing the commission with the means of carrying on their noble work. In December of 1865 the society met at the school house and was called to order by Mrs. Henry Doty, President. The secretary being absent, Mrs. J. C. Brown was elected secretary protem.
The object of the meeting was to dispose of the money and articles of clothing on hand. There was $327.74 a few articles of clothing and a few yards of cotton cloth. It was decided that the clothing be sent to Freedman's Aid Society and that the cloth be given to Mrs. Betsy Allen, a soldiers widow. Mrs. James Isbell moved that the money be kept in town for the purpose of building or furnishing a church, the money to be put on interest and so remain until called for by the ladies. This motion was carried, as was another by Mrs. Henry Doty be assistant secretary to assist in loaning this money. The money was afterward divided and $163.87 given to the Methodist society and $163.87 to the Congregational society. The Methodist used their money when the church was built, but the Congregational society never built a church. Their share was divided and $103.87 given to the Centre and $60 to the Doty Cemetery.
HAMPSHIRE MILITARY HISTORY
There is no fairer gage in the history of Hampshire than her military record. The first Hampshireite to lay his life on the alter of his country was John Ream, brother of our townsmen, Levi, Samuel and Thomas Ream. John Ream went to the Mexican War in 1846. He was in Taylor's command and died in Mexico of yellow fever. When the Civil War began the Hampshire boys responded to the first call. Among the first to volunteer was S. M. Harney, brother-in-law of Capt. Wm. H. Warner. His parents had been dead many years. While in camp at Alton Il., he was taken sick and admitted to the hospital, May 5th , where he died two weeks later. Capt. Joslyn obtained leave of absence and accompanied the remains to Elgin. A large number of citizens escorted the body from the depot to the Davison building. After the Hampshire friends arrived the next morning short religious services were held. A military guard of Old Continentals accompanied the body to Hampshire where it was buried with military honor.
I have carefully scanned the Kane County War History and Record for the names of Hampshire soldiers. As over thirty years since the first enlistment it has been a rather hard matter to get the list. I have consulted several old soldiers and with their aid, compiled the following list, which is as nearly complete as could be made:
The Seventh Illinois Infantry Volunteers mustered into the United States service at Camp Yates, Illinois April 25, 1861. It is claimed to be the first regiment organized in the state, under the first call of the President for three months troops. The Eighth Illinois claims the same honor. It was forwarded to Alton, St. Louis, Cairo and Mound City where it remained during the three months.
D.A. Allen, C.W. Allen, H.S. Doty, S. M. Harney and J.L. Haines were in Company A. of the Seventh Illinois. C. L. Dickson was also a member of the 7th.
The Eighth Calvary was organized at St. Charles, Illinois in September 1861. The regiment was first sent to Washington City. It was mustered out at Benton Barracks, Mo., July 17, 1865 and ordered to Chicago for final payment and discharge. This regiment was in battles at Antietam and Gettysburg and over twenty other engagements.
T.J. Brown was in Co. A. He was mustered out as a Sergeant.
Co. B - G. H. Bell m. o. as Serg't ; C.A. Fassett; H.S. DeWitt; m. o. as Serg't; Jas. Maynard, m. o. as Serg't.; E. Bassett; J. C. Brown; John Weed, promoted to first Sergeant; commissioned as Second Lieutenant but not mustered; D. H. Remington; Frank Brown; C. H. Cronk, m. o. as Serg't. Wm. Weed, m. o. as Corporal.
Company I. - John Cool, Second Lieutenant; Roswell Humphrey; George Kimball; T. S. Rich.
The Hampshire people watched the movements of the Fifty Second Infantry with great interest for Company K of this regiment was largely composed of Hampshire boys.
The fifty-second was organized at Geneva in November 1861. November 28th it moved to St. Louis and went into quarters at Benton Barracks. It took a prominent part in the battles of Shiloh and Corinth. Jan. 9 1864, three-fourths of the regiment having reinlisted it was mustered a veteran organization. Jan. 20th it was furloughed, in February it moved to Palaski, Tenn. And thence to Chattanooga. From here the regiment with Gen. Sherman to Atlanta and then on his celebrated march to the sea. Jan. 29 1865, it started on the Carolinas Campaign. The regiment was in the grand review at Washington, may 24 1865. June 2nd it moved to Louisville, Ky. And July 5th, was mustered out. Moved to Camp Douglas and received payment and discharge July 12, 1865.
Company K. contained the following Hampshireites: S.N. Patchin enlisted as Corporal promoted to First Sergeant and then to Captain; First Lieutenant E. J. Allen, promoted to Adjutant. This was Ethan Allen, the first Kane County Sheriff from Hampshire. H. S. Doty enlisted as Second and was promoted to First Lieutenant; J. M. Vote promoted to Corporal Sergeant, and then to Lieutenant; Chas Isbell mustered out as First Sergeant, commissioned as Second Lieutenant but not mustered; Thomas Lawrence; Sheridan Dickson; Wm. Lietner; Wm. Barrett; Ned Kaler; George Vail; Corporal Robert Burns; D. A. Allen; Chas. Baldwin, m. o. as Corporal; C. M. Coon; J. A. DeWitt; Sherman Althorp; Edward….? ; Frank Garner; John Haines; Leroy Morgan; A. J. Pitcher; E. F. Parker; Ed Patchin, m. o. as Sergeant; F. B. Reams; S.A. Reams; S.P. Tyler, who died at Shiloh; W. Tyler; Cummings Tyler; George Whitcomb, Jr.; Wm. Widmayer; Abram Aurand; John Eaton; M. C. Getzleman; Will Ward; Levi Ream; Jonathon Klick; Philip Munch; Antone Mooth, who died in the service; Peter Tyson; H. H. Tyler; Wm. Vote, who died at Marietta Georgia in 1864; Wm. Whitcomb; Ernest Tyler; John VanVleet; Earnest Widmayer; Chauncey E. Doty, who died at Corinth.
Three Hampshire boys enlisted in the Eighty-eighth Infantry in 1862: Oscar Humphrey enlisted as Corporal and died of wounds in 1864; B. S. Cool, killed at Perrysville, Kentucky in 1862; Wm. Buzzell.
The One hundred and twenty-seventh Infantry was organized in Camp Douglas and mustered in service Sept. 6, 1862. During its term of service it marched over three thousand miles and took part in over a hundred battles. Among these battles were Vicksburg, Dallas, Kennesaw Mountain, Jonesville, Fayetteville and Bentonville. It mustered out in Chicago June 10, 1865.
We find the following ones in Company : L.B. Patchen entered as First Sergeant, promoted to Second Lieutenant; Corporal Cullen Allen, m. o. as First Sergeant; ? L. Haines, Sergeant detached; John Keller; Nicholas Miller died of wounds in January 1863; Henry Whelpley; Oscar Thompson enlisted as Second Lieutenant. His regiment remained at Camp Douglas three months and was then sent to Memphis. It engaged in the Tallahatchie campaign. During the winter of 1862-63 it remained at Young's Point opposite Vicksburg. It crossed at Hard Times Landing in the spring and engaged in four battles after which Mr. Warner was commissioned Captain. In this capacity he lead the skirmished line in two assaults on Vicksburg and as his company was the color company, was actively engaged during the siege. The next battle the regiment was in Missionary Ridge. May 1864 started on the Atlanta Campaign. After the capture of Atlanta, Captain Warner was appointed on General Sherman's staff and ordered to Nashville, Tenn., to take charge of the engineering department. Some French scientific engineers had failed to build a pontoon bridge across the Cumberland and Captain Warner constructed it at the request of General Thomas. Captain Warner then joined General Sherman at Suvannah and accompanied him on his campaign through the Carolinas. Captain Warner was present at the Grand Review of the troops at Washington in May 1865. He was then sent to St. Louis to establish General Sherman's headquarters there. He remained here until March 1866, when he resigned and returned home. Captain Warner was commissioned in the regular army but refused to muster. He was in twenty-five battles and many skirmishes but he was never wounded, taken prisoner or in the hospital.
The fifteenth Cavalry was organized Dec. 25, 1862 by order of the Governor Yates, assigning independent battalions and companies. Four companies were from Kane County. The regiment served in Mississippi and Alabama and along the Mississippi River, fighting the guerillas until Jan. 26, 1865, when it consolidated with the tenth Cavalry and went to Texas. November 22, 1865 it was mustered out. Company H. contained the following Hampshire men; W. B. Allen; D.A. Allen; H. J. Allen; Wm. Coon; John Haines; C. Maude.
J. H. Norton enlisted August 27 1862 in an independent organization known as the Kane County Calvary. He was promoted to a captaincy and transferred to the Fourth Arkansas Cavalry, August 1864 and in December, same year, was appointed Assistant Inspector General of the Post Cavalry Brigade at Little Rock, Arkansas and remained in that office until May, 1865. He was mustered out of service June 25, 1865. During Mr. Norton's term of service he was in thirty-five pitched battles.
Quit a number from here enlisted in the Seventh Calvary in the latter part of 1863.
We find in Company B.: Corporal L.D. Morgan, mustered out as Sergeant; Corporal George Baker; John Burns; James Fields; Jasper Garner; John Patchen m. o. as Corporal; John H. Ream; J.G. Vote.
Company C: George Maynard.
Company : Thomas Barnard who died May 4, 1865.
The One Hundred and Forty-first Infantry was organized at Camp Kane, Elgin and was mustered into the service June 16, 1864. Soon after it moved to Columbus, Ky. , and assisted in garrisoning that point. The regiment, with three others, was sent to drive guerillas out of the interior of western Kentucky. The men enlisted for one hundred days but when their time expired, voluntarily, at request of the government, staid some weeks longer before receiving orders to muster out. It mustered out at Camp Fry, Chicago, October 10, 1864.
Dennis Dickson enlisted in Company A. and was transferred to Company H; M. Howe enlisted in Company D, and E. E. Rich in K.
R.R. DeWitt enlisted in October 1864, at 16 years of age, in the 11th Illinois Infantry; was transferred to the 46th and discharged in November 1864.
Hampshire never had a draft. When a call was made her sons responded so loyally that more than made her quota was always in the service. If another call had been issued there were enough soldiers in the field to make the required quota and still have excess.
A council of America was organized in Hampshire in 1863. D. Carlisle was elected President and E.W. Whelpley Vice President for the first quarter. E. W. Whelpley was elected President and James Isbell Vice President during the succeeding eight quarters it remained organized. Elisha Weed served as Marshall a number of times. The order was a patriotic secret organization of counteracting influence of the Knights of the Golden Circle, a secret order that favored the Rebellion. Also for the purpose of aiding in suppression the Rebellion and preserving the Union. Also for collecting hospital supplies, bandages, lint, dried fruits etc., upon requision of the Grand Council, to be distributed in army hospitals where most needed. If a special meeting of the council was to be held, two riders went through the township, each carrying slips of paper. There was a hole in each slip, but no writing. This signified that the special meeting of the council would be held on the evening of the day in which the papers were received. All members of the Union League were sworn to take up arms and repel the enemy invading the state in which they severally resided and to do all their power to preserve the Union. The Hampshire council numbered 170 members. There was a membership of 70,000 in the state.
VILLAGE OF HAMPSHIRE
The village of Hampshire is located in the central part of the township. It was surveyed by W. H. Pease in October 1874, for C. A. Fassett and Dr. A.J. Willing, who owned north of S.A. Keys.
Lot number 1 was bought by Mrs. Walter Scott and lot number 2 by Walter Scott. Mr. and Mrs. Scott were living at Old Hampshire where he had kept a store since 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Scott were born in England but came to America and settled in this section of country in childhood. They were married in Oak Park, then Harlem, in 1850, and after living in several different places settled in this township. This branch of the Scott family have made twenty-two trips across the ocean. Their family consists of one daughter and four sons. Anna and Webster of the lock factory, Lincoln and Henry, who have been associated with their father in the store a number of years; and Thomas who is a news agent on the milk train. Henry recently sold his interest in the store and has rented the Commercial Hotel. Mr. and Mrs. Scott bought their lots in the summer of 1874, of S. A. Keys and at once erected a dwelling house and store on lot 1. This is a fine large building and the first depot and express ….were in it. That store was kept there a number of years but is now located in the Schulz block.
The Chicago and Pacific Railroad was built through the site on the village in 1874 and since then the village has grown rapidly.
The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company purchased the road in 1880 and built the present depot in 1882. S. N. Baird, the present efficient agent, came here in 1881. Hampshire is the second largest milk shipping station in the state, four hundred cans of milk being shipped to Chicago daily. Thomas Farrell shipped the first milk from Hampshire in August 1876. There was no depot then and Mr. Farrell loaded his cans on the slough below the stockyards.
In the later part of 1875 Hampshire had four general stores, bonnet and dressmaker rooms, a restaurant, boot and shoe shops, a wagon-shop, a drug store, jewelry shop, harness shop, hardware store, agricultural store, hotel, saloon, two halls, blacksmith shop, lumber yard, cheese factory and a gristmill.
In 1873 Messrs Hathaway & Co. built their cheese factory and store adjoining it. About seven years later Mr. Uathaway removed the store which he now occupies. In January 1886, he bought Chas. Terwilliger's drug business and sold his drygoods and groceries to Getzelman & Schmidt. March 15th 1887 Mr. Hathaway disposed of his stock to Edwin Hall and went to Elgin to engage in the drug business there. About three years ago he returned here and bought Ball's interest in the firm Sholes & Ball, afterwards buying Mr. Sholes' interest. Hathaway's hall is always used for theatrical entertainments.
The cheese factory is used as a butter factory by Fraley & Dow, who have owned it since 1887.
S.C. Rowell moved his stock of general goods from the old town to the village in 1875. Since 1880 the firm name has been Rowell & Son.
In 1875, S. W. L. Cook owned the store building now occupied by W. Hathaway. He built this building and several other stores, the cheese factory, the school and quite a number of dwellings.
At this time Rinn & Rippe had the gristmill which has been owned by John Brill since 1883. The Holland windmill then used, has been taken down and the work is now done by steam.
In spring of 1875 Daniel Barry built a hotel here. He also kept a livery stable. In 1878 Charles Parks bought him out. Mr. Parks was succeeded in 1884 by Rineck Bros. John Rineck Jr. has been sole proprietor since 1889.
The livery stable is now owned by Ream Bros., who bought it from Fox & Treman in 1889.
"The Smith House" has been a familiar name here for years. Mrs. Amos Smith was the landlady. It is now the Dibler & Fox Hotel.
In 1875 Reeves & Bean received the first carload of lumber ever shipped west of Elgin on the C&PR.R. During the year Messrs Reeves & Bean sold over half a million feet of lumber. Mr. Reeves is now engaged in the coal business.
A. Gleason has had a lumberyard since 1880.
B.T. Watrous opened a store here in 1880. He located in the building first owned by Willing & Fassett and in which they kept their drugstore in 1875 and until the summer of 1876. Mr. Watrous carried on his business here until the fire August 18, 1891, which destroyed his building and the Whelpley and Moulton buildings adjoining it. He then moved into the Haug building which he now occupies. For some time W. H. Norton was a member of the firm.
Chas. Lovell opened a general store in 1883 which he now carries on. His hall in another building is the finest dancing hall in town.
There are two hardware firms, Sauer Bros., and Chapman & Janecke. In 1881 Chapman & Smith of Burlington bought out Simons & Co. and began handling farm machinery and a general stock hardware. David Reid, Jr., bought Smith out in 1886. Oct. 1 1891, J. F. Jenecke, of Elgin succeeded Mr. Reid in the firm. Their store is a fine brick building 28 by 60 feet. Mr. Chapman has been our supervisor for over six years and has one more year to serve. Chas. Holtgren opened his tailor shop and clothing store here in March 1878. For about a year and a half C. J. Brill was in the business, first as partner and then as sole owner but Dec 27, 1887 Mr. Holtgren again took control of the business. Marten Nelson opened a tailor shop in the basement of the Rineck Hotel early in 1892 and is now located there.
In 1881 Alex Reid bought in with Chas. Terwilliger in the drug and furniture business. About two years and a half later they dissolved the partnership. Mr. Reid keeping the furniture and Mr. Terwilliger moving his drug stock to the Miller building. Mr. Reid then bought L. J. Carlisle's stock of goods. In 1887 he purchased the building he occupies, of Dr. Reid. Mr. Reid was our only furniture dealer until 1890, when A. W. Hetrick went into business in the Miller building.
April 1, 1889 Miss Ella Farrell opened her millinery store in the Moulton building. After the fire she moved to her present location in the Blazier building. The other part of the Blazier building is occupied by E. J. Locke, the jeweler, who came from Elgin, April, 1891.
The first floor of the Rich building is occupied by Jacob High succeeded by H. N. Carlisle in 1892.
Nov. 1 1892 the drug firm, Hall & Doty became Doty & Norton. This is the store opened by Fassett & Willing and has changed hands about ten times. The drug firm O. S. McAllister & Co. has sold out to Thos. H. Poage, of Chicago, who will carry on the business at the same place.
C. W. Werthwein bought out Amos Smith in the meat market in 1881. The firm became Werthwein & Zimmer in 1883. Werthwein & Lietner & Co. bought the Elevator in 1887 and dealt in grain, feed, flour and seed.
by GERTRUDE HAWLEY, 1893
Return to the Main Index Page for Kane County