Welcome to this Illinois Genealogy Trails History Group Website


Many thanks to Gary King for allowing us to post these obituaries.

John FESLER Passes Away.
Sunday, June 30, ’95, Aged 70 Years, A Good Citizen, King Neighbor and True Friend
“Uncle” John FESLER was born in Amhurst, New York, March 27th, 1825 and died in Batavia, Illinois, June 30, 1895. He was the fifth of eleven children born to David and Elizabeth FESLER, five of whom are living. Four or fine years of the early fifties were spent in California. In 1857 he came to Batavia from New York, and has resided here ever since. He was twice married. His second companion survives to mourn his loss. Deceased obeyed the Gospel and united with the Christian Church of Batavia, May 22, 1880. Since the spring of 1887, he has been an efficient deacon in the Church. His Christian life was characterized by unwavering faith, love and loyalty to his Lord. His purity, integrity and piety were unquestioned. During his long illness, in his conscious hours, he was in almost constant communication with God. He endured all with commendable patience and fortitude; desiring however to be present with the Lord, his last audible words being: “Come Lord Jesus, and take me quickly.” Blessed is the memory of such a life in the heart of neighbors and friends. For many years he was an honored member of the I.O.O.F. and of the Masonic order. The funeral services were held from the Christian church, Tuesday, at 2:30 p.m., Rev. R. E. Thomas officiating. The I.O.O.F. order turning out in a body and having charge for the services at the grave. The remains were laid to rest in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 4 July 1895]

Suicides in Aurora by the Gas.
Miss Louise RUTISHAUSER, an Aurora girl, 28 years of age, committed suicide, Tuesday night, buy turning on the gas. Poor health is given as the cause. She had been ill for some time. [Batavia Herald, 11 July 1895]

The remains of Mrs. Jas. RISK were brought to Batavia, Wednesday from New York, and interred beside her husband in the East Side Cemetery. The RISKs were among the early settlers of this place, and formerly owned a large tract of land along the Geneva road, a part of it being the GRIDLEY and GUNZENHAUSER farms. Mrs. RISK was quite an aged lady and will be kindly remembered by the older people of our city. They were relatives of the MCKEE family. [Batavia Herald, 11 July 1895]

Death of Hon. Thos. C. MOORE
A Former Resident of Batavia.
Mr. J. R. MOORE received a telegram announcing the death of his father, Hon. Thomas C. MOORE, who died at the home of his son, in Washington, D. C., Thursday, July 11, 1895, after a brief illness.
Deceased was at one time, one of the most eloquent and popular lawyers in Kane County, and was a resident of Batavia for many years. Owing to the serious illness of Mrs. Moore, who is with her daughter at Springfield, Ill., the remains will be placed temporarily in a vault, at Washington, but will be brought here to be laid in their last resting place. A full account of his death will be given next week. [Batavia Herald, 18 July 1895 - Read

Mrs. Lucy GIFFORD, and old and highly respected resident of Kendall Co., was found dead in her bed on the morning of July 9, at the home of her son, George, near Plano. Deceased was as well as usual upon retiring, Monday evening, but death came suddenly. Mrs. G. was a former resident of Blackberry, and a sister of Dr. BURROUGHS, of this city.
[Batavia Herald, 18 July 1895]

Henry N. TITSWORTH, well known in Aurora where he lived the greater part of his life, was drowned Sunday in Lake Michigan, going to the bottom in his own steam yacht.
[Batavia Herald, 18 July 1895]

A Long Useful Life Ended. Mr. Elihu CORBIN Passes Away.
The following obituary is taken from the Plainfield Enterprise. The deceased was the father of Mrs. E. HOLBROOK, of Batavia:
“One by one they leave us. By the death of Elihu CORBIN, July 15, 1895, Plainfield lost another of her oldest and most respected citizens. For nearly half a century Mr. CORBIN was a resident here, for a greater part of which time he was prominent as a business man and in the public affairs of the community. For twenty years he filled the office of magistrate, school director and other local positions by repeated choice of his fellow citizens.
As a Christian man he also took great interest in the welfare and success of his church and its incidental work, and in maintaining by example and receipt the moral tone and higher interests of the town. In whatever position he was called upon to act, as a business man, public officer or citizen, he was always found to be actuated by the principles of honor, honesty and justice, which, with his kindly and genial disposition always commanded for him the highest respect and regard of his friends.
Elihu CORBIN was among the first to take up a permanent residence in Plainfield, coming here from Cleveland, Ohio, in 1852. He was born in Rutland county, Vermont, May 28, 1813, and married Eliza A. FISH, April 16, 1837, she being born in Connecticut. Six children were born to them, Alfred T., Edward W., Lewis D., Hannah J., Emily M. and Mary E. Mr. CORBIN lived in Vermont for twenty-two years, moving from there to Chicago, and thence to Cleveland, Ohio, the following winter.
He passed off very quietly, after an illness extended over two years, surrounded by his wife and children, of whom five survive him. The funeral took place Tuesday, Rev. Beal officiating.”
[Batavia Herald, 25 July 1895]

DIED: - The little eight month old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gust. JOHNSON, at their home on the West Side, Sunday morning, July 21, 1895. The funeral was held from the Swedish Mission Church, Monday at 3 p.m., Rev. A. G. Sporrong officiating, and the remains interred in the West Side Cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 25 July 1895]

Death of Mrs. Chas. ADDISON.
Mr. A. I. ANDERSON received word last Wednesday, that his daughter, Mrs. Charles Anderson, was very ill of brain fever, at her home in Green Bay, Wis. He left immediately and was fortunate enough to reach her bed side before her spirit took its flight; she having passed away Friday, July 19, 1895, aged 34 years. Emily ANDERSON was born in Sweden, Feb. 1, 1861, came to Batavia with her parents when a child. In the spring of 1881 she was married to Mr. Chas. ADDISON, of Green Bay, Wis., where her home has been ever since. Deceased was the mother of eight children, seven of whom are left with the father to mourn a mother’s loving care; the oldest being 13 years and the youngest nine months of age.
Mrs. ANDERSON left Saturday morning to attend the funeral, taking home two of the grandchildren who had been spending a few weeks in Batavia. [Batavia Herald, 25 July 1895]

Death of Mrs. John BRADY
Mrs. John BRADY died at her home in this city, after two years of extreme suffering, from cancer, Monday, June 3, 1895, aged 47 years. Deceased was born in Roscommon, Ireland, but had been a resident of Batavia for some time, and was much beloved by all her associates. Husband and eight children survive her.
Funeral services were held, Wednesday, at 10:30 a.m., from the Holy Cross Church, Rev. Father Rathz officiating; burial taking place in the West Side Cemetery. The bereaved family have the sympathy of their many friends in their hour of sorrow. [Batavia Herald, 6 June 1895]

Sad Death of Little Dorthy.
Only Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John MAY.
The Herald has received the sad intelligence from Stoke, Devonport, England, of the death of Dorthy, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John MAY, of Batavia, at the residence of her grandmother, at No. 6, Brunswick Terrace, Thursday, May 16, after a brief illness from measles complicated with Pneumonia, aged four and one-half years.
The sudden death of little Dorthy is indeed very sad, as Mrs. MAY left April 1, with her children for England in hopes that the change would be beneficial to the little ones, who had always been rather delicate, and their coming had been looked forward to with great pleasure by relatives and friends across the waters, but they were deeply grieved to have her sweet spirit take its departure just three weeks after her arrival. Deceased was a bright and winning child and her early death is a great blow to the parents, especially the father who is in this city and could not be present. They have the sympathy of their many friends in Batavia in their great sorrow. [Batavia Herald, 6 June 1895]

Brought to Batavia for Burial.
Mr. Will Mack, son of Rev. J. A. MACK, died, in Philadelphia, June 9, and the remains brought to Batavia and interred in the West Side Cemetery, Rev. Bissell, officiating. Mr. MACK was a cousin of Miss G. W. TOWN, teacher in No. 6, East Side School. [Batavia Herald, 13 June 1895]

Sudden Death of Mr. E. HOLBROOK
Passes Away June 14, ’95, From Heart Failure, aged 54 years.
An Old Resident and Excellent Business Man. – Very Large Funeral
“In the midst of life we are in death” was most keenly realized in the home of Mrs. E. HOLBROOK, last Friday night.
Thursday, June 13, Emanuel HOLBROOK was at his accustomed places of business. Thursday night he lay still in death, at his home, surrounded by family and friends. Friday he remained at home with illness. But he was about the house and not considered seriously ill. His son Tracy, had a date in Chicago, on this day, to compete with a large class of violinists, for a $175.00 violin. Mr. HOLBROOK and Tracy offered to cancel the engagement and remain at home, on account of the father’s illness, but Mr. Holbrook insisted he was not seriously ill, and that Tracy and Mrs. Holbrook must go and fill the date. So they did, - and also brought home the prize. Upon their arrival home that evening they related the day’s program to Mr. HOLBROOK, who expressed great delight and satisfaction over Tracy’s success.
Shortly after, about 7 o'clock, Mr. H. requested that his attending physician should be sent for, who son arrived and performed his duties rightfully as Physician. The patient soon afterwards retired for the night and everything was done for him that could be, a gentleman attendant being at his bedside.
Upon retiring, he soon dropped to sleep and a little before 10 o'clock he attendant noticed that his heart was not beating right, and shortly afterwards he passed peacefully away, without an apparent struggle, at about 10 p.m., June 14.
Mr. HOLBROOK was a man of very frail physique, his lungs being weak, and his heart had troubled him so severely, many times, that he had often expressed the fear to his family that he would not long survive, and some day be taken very suddenly. The blow is most certainly a terrible shock to the afflicted wife and family, and is for them one of the saddest realities of life.
Emanuel Holbrook was born in Manchester, England, July 5th, 1840. He sailed for America Dec. 1868, and had the misfortune of a very rough voyage, his ship being nearly lost in severe storms. Arriving in New York, Jan. 1869, he soon afterwards came to Batavia, to visit his Uncle, Mr. Joseph BURTON, and was so favorably impressed with the place and surroundings that he remained permanently and clerked in his Uncle’s store for a few years. For 20 years he was the valuable an competent assistant in Mr. E. Meredith's hardware store, which business he purchased in the fall of 1892, and conducted it very successfully, up to time of his death. He was an industrious and shrewd business man and a most competent book-keeper. Mr. H. was for several years an able Supervisor in Batavia. He was always industrious and painstaking in attending to his official duties, the same as he was in his own business. He was of a kind charitable disposition; a loyal friend, quiet, retiring and unassuming in his manner.
May 9th, 1877, Mr. HOLBROOK was united in marriage to Miss Emma CORBIN, of Plainfield. To this union was born three bright sons, Tracy, Leslie, and Meredith, all of whom are left to comfort the widowed mother. The respect and esteem in which deceased was held, was manifested Sunday, by the very large concourse of friends, who attended the funeral, which was held at the home at 3 p.m., being in charge of Rock City Lodge, No. 718, I.O.O.F. Rev. J. D. Leek conducted brief services at the house.
Deceased was not only a member, but a great admirer of the I.O.O.F. Lodge, and they very fittingly marched in a body, to the last resting place of their departed Brother, at the West Side Cemetery.
Among the beautiful floral offerings was large broken wheel, from the I.O.O.F. Lodge, with the words: “Our Brother.” The sorrow stricken wife and family have the heart-felt sympathy of their large circle of friends, in this, their hour of deep sorrow and affliction. [Batavia Herald, 20 June 1895]

Sad Death of Katie NEWTON.
A Bright Young Life Taken From a Devoted Mother, Sister and Brothers.
Katie May NEWTON, youngest child of Earl C. and Mary E. NEWTON, after a long and painful illness, died at her mother’s home on Batavia Avenue, Thursday, June 13, 1895, of Brights disease.
Katie was 13 years old March 14th. A beautiful white rose bud – only a few months ago as promising, of a full measure of fragrant life, as the fairest flower that grows. Ina home sheltered from every blast, so far as human love and fore sight could provide. Last January, however, this budding flower began to droop and wither, and it was soon evident that an insidious disease was supping the vitality of this, hitherto, supposedly, vigorous young life. Day by day the rich life blood, which had coursed through her lithe form giving energy and enthusiasm to her every act, was being vitiated by the lingering presence of an enemy whose grip had probably been tightened for a longer time than at first known.
It was soon apparent that the span of life could not much be lengthened, and all that could be, was done to make the remaining weeks and days as comfortable as possible. All the tender love of mother, brother and sister, kind friends and faithful attendance of skilled physicians could do, was done; but the promising young life was destined to blossom in another and fairer clime.
She knew from the first that her life on earth was short, and with a fortitude and courage so characteristic of her life, she resolutely faced the coming messenger, and undaunted by fear, passed through the gates of death to meet the many friends gone before. We who knew the bright, resolute personality of this dear young girl will long remember her almost unique characteristics. She was life of that beautiful home on the outskirts of our city. She loved its velvety lawns and waving trees. The young companions of her day and Sunday school, were always delighted with her presence – faithful to every duty, prompt on all occasions, she never gave mother or friends room for complaint. We all shall miss her, but most of all, that dear mother, who so faithfully ministered to her in sickness and in health.
Rev. A. N. White, of Chicago, former pastor of the Batavia M. E. Church, a long time friend of the family, assisted by her pastor, Rev. J. D. Leek, conducted the funeral services at the home. Amid the fragrant flowers of spring, the mortal part of Katie, was laid to rest beside father and sister, in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 20 June 1895]

Dies at Nearly 100 Years of Age
Miss Margaret WILLIS, died at the Alms House, Monday, April 29, at 7 p.m., of old age. Deceased was a native of Ireland, and as near as records can be found to prove, and from the facts of early history related by her, she was nearly if not quite one hundred years old.
She had been an inmate at the Alms House for over 20 years, and was a very intelligent and pleasant old lady, and had endeared herself to all at the home, where she will be greatly missed. The body was tenderly laid to rest in the East Side Cemetery, Tuesday afternoon.
[Batavia Herald, 2 May 1895, 1895]

Sylvester BARRETT, an old Kane Co. resident, died at La Fox, last week, aged 86 years. He formerly lived in Batavia. [Batavia Herald, 2 May 1895, 1895]

Clarence HUFF, formerly of Aurora, but late of Sandwich, was kicked to death by a horse, while out driving, near that place, Sunday evening.
[Batavia Herald, 2 May 1895, 1895]

Peter GANGLER, a gardener, of Sandwich, committed suicide by shooting during a fit of despondency, Sunday. [Batavia Herald, 2 May 1895, 1895]

Mrs. Hattie E. CHURCH, face bruised, right leg broken, body badly crushed (in St. Charles cyclone). Mrs. CHURCH leaves a son and about 11 years old. She was the daughter of James F. JORDAN, the well known St. Charles butcher and market man, and a lady greatly esteemed. [Batavia Herald, 9 May 1895, 1895]

Miss Teckla G. ANDERSON, terribly crushed from head to foot (in St. Charles cyclone). Miss ANDERSON was a native of Sweden and but 19 years old. She was a fine looking young lady and of estimable character.
[Batavia Herald, 9 May 1895, 1895]

Charles M. THOMPSON, known to every one as “Joe,” face bruised, neck broken, one leg broken (in St. Charles cyclone). “Joe” THOMPSON was a native of St. Charles and a carpenter by trade. His wife, a brother and his parents are left to mourn his death. Charles Johnson was also married.
[Batavia Herald, 9 May 1895, 1895]

Carl Peter JOHANNISSON, (Charles JOHNSON) skull crushed and generally bruised (in St. Charles cyclone). [Batavia Herald, 9 May 1895, 1895]

DIED: - Mrs. Robert HADLEY, at her home on the East Side, Thursday evening, May 2, 1895, after a lingering illness from consumption, aged 34 years. Funeral services were held from the home, Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock, Rev. G. H. Barry officiating. The remains were taken to Kaneville for burial.
[Batavia Herald, 9 May 1895, 1895]

A Sad Death of Charley ALVERSON.
A Young Husband and Father Taken From His Family.
For 20 Years the Faithful Employee of the Newton Wagon Co. – Large Funeral. – I.O.O.F. Lodge and Brother Workman Turn Out in a Body.
Monday morning this community was shocked and saddened to learn of the sudden death of Mr. Charles ALVERSON. He had been in poor health for two years, but was at his post of duty most of the time and passed away quite suddenly, only being confined to his bed two days before released from all earthly suffering. Charley was a quiet unassuming gentleman, yet to those with whom he came into contact, he was a pleasant and genial friend, whom all admired and respected, that were favored with his acquaintance. He was a most dutiful and devoted husband and father, and by his untimely death the home was thrown into deep mourning and sorrow.
When a young boy, he entered the Newton Wagon Co.’s Factory, where he has been a faithful and valuable employee for 20 years, - about nine years of this time he has been the capable and painstaking foreman of the paint room, and the Co. deeply feel their loss, in his death.
Mr. ALVERSON was an active and earnest member of the Rock City Lodge, I.O.O.F, where he will also be greatly missed. The Lodge, also his brother workmen, showed their high respect, by turning out in a body, and the Newton Co., closed their Factory during the funeral.
Charles Berlin ALVERSON was born in Peoria, Wyoming Co., New York, in 1859. With his parents he removed in 1862 to Batavia, where he remained up until his death, which occurred, Monday a.m., May 13, 1895, of “Acute Phthisis,” aged 35 years, 5 months and 22 days. His father died, July 20th, 1868, when he was but nine years of age. On Dec. 25, 1880, he was married Miss Hattie MCDANIEL; to this union were born one son, Harry, who is now 12 years of age. Beside his sorrow stricken wife, and son, he leaves a mother, brother and sister, to mourn his early demise.
Impressive funeral services were held, Wednesday afternoon, at the Christian church, conducted by Rev. Mr. Thomas and were largely attended by mourning friends, and the floral decorations were beautiful, extensive and appropriate, special floral offerings being made by the I.O.O.F. Lodge and Newton Wagon Co. and their employees. Appropriate music was furnished by a quartette consisting of Messrs. Geo. Burnett, E. J. Fredendall, Mrs. Irene Lord Smith, and Miss Lena Gunzenhauser. The remains were interred in the West Batavia Cemetery. The sorrow stricken wife and relatives have their heartfelt sympathies of their large circle of friends, in this hour of deep affliction and mourning. [Batavia Herald, 16 May 1895, 1895]

Death of Harry A. KNIFFIN.
Harry Anson KNIFFIN was born at Batavia, Ill., June 5, 1874, and lived here until he was 10 years of age, when he and his parents moved to Waterloo, Iowa. He lived there until last August when he went to Chicago and remained until his death, which occurred, Saturday May 11, 1895.
Deceased was a member of the First M. E. Church, of Waterloo, Iowa, and was a young man of excellent habits, and high attainments. He was a grandson of Mrs. Sevilla KIFFIN, a resident of West Batavia, who with his many friends in this city mourn his early death.
Funeral was held at the M. E. Church, in this city, Monday, Rev. J. D. Leek officiating, and the remains were interred in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 16 May 1895]

Harry PATCHIN Drowned May 18.
L. J. PATCHIN Receives the Sad News of the Death of His Brother, at DeMontreville.
M. J. J. PATCHIN received a telegram Sunday, bearing the sad news of the death of his brother, Harry, who was drowned at Lake DeMontreville, Saturday, May 18. L. J. left Sunday night, for Stillwater, to attend the funeral. The Stillwater Daily Gazette, gives the following account of the unfortunate affair:
“Harry W. PATCHIN, a former well known Stillwater young man, was drowned at Lake Montreville, Saturday, May 18. He was employed by Dr. PATTERSON, of St. Paul, and went out to look after the latter’s summer residence. After breakfast, Saturday, he started, to row across the lake, to tow back a small sail boat, that was on the other side, and that was the last time he was seen alive. A small boy, while out fishing several hours later, came across the two boats which were fast in the sand near the shore, and from the skiff, Harry’s body was hanging over the gunwale into the water. He made a rope fast from the sail boat to a thwart of the skiff and had coiled the end around his right leg. The dark bruise on the side of his head seemed to indicate that he had been struck by the bowsprit or the boom of the sloop and knocked senseless into the water, which was not over two feet deep at that place. There was no signs of foul play and Coroner Freleigh did not consider it necessary to hold an inquest, bringing in a report of accidental drowning. The body was brought to Stillwater, where the funeral was held. The remains were taken to Grand Rapids, Mich. Harry was 26 years of age, was enjoying excellent health and in the best of spirits. He leaves several relatives in Stillwater. [Batavia Herald, 23 May 1895]

Kane Co. Veteran Passes Away.
Hon. Alonzo GEORGE, Ex-Pres. Of the 2nd National Bank, and Founder of Many of the Flourishing Manufactories at Aurora, Dies in That City, May 18, 1895.
Mr. F. K. GEORGE received the sad intelligence Saturday, May 18, 1895, of the death of his brother, Hon. Alonzo GEORGE, at Aurora. He, in company with his family attended the funeral which was held Monday at 10 a.m. from the late residence. Mr. George was well and favorably known throughout Kane Co. and has many friends on Batavia who extend their sympathies to the bereaved family.
Mr. GEORGE was born in Stafford, Orange County, Vermont, April 11, 1822. He was a son of Ebenezer and Betsy (KIBLING) GEORGE. His family connections on both of his mother’s and father’s side were of good old revolutionary stock. At the age of 16 he entered the employ of Justin S. MORRILL, now a United States Senator from Vermont, who was then in a mercantile business.
In 1859 he visited Aurora and remained there a year, after which he returned to Post Mills, bought and disposed of a stock and returned to Aurora and finally made it his home engaging extensively in the wool and lumber business. For a time he associated with himself Hon. Wm. F. DICKINSON. In 1871 the Second National Bank was organized and he was elected its president, continuing as its chief executive officer during its chartered existence of 20 years, taking the same position as its successor, the Old Second National Bank, which he held January last when he was succeeded by his son, William GEORGE.
The name of this excellent citizen will ever be inseparably associated with very many of the substantial business enterprises that have built up Aurora and given the city its present industrial prominence among cities of the west. Many of its manufacturing institutions owe their existence and their great success to the valuable aid extended them by Mr. GEORGE when in the incipient stages of development. He zealous co-operation could always be counted on by the promulgators of any worthy enterprise, and he not only became a stockholder in very many of the principal industries but was quick to respond with financial aid whenever the exigencies of business conditions demanded it. He was a large stockholder in the Cotton Mills, Silver Plate M’f’g. Co., North Aurora Milling Co., and many other industries. He was a county supervisor in 1870, and was mayor in Aurora, in 1873 and was elected township treasurer at various times.
Deceased was a liberal contributor to nearly every church that was ever built in Aurora and a new church enterprise was rarely projected without a handsome contribution from his purse. He was for many years a regular attendant and a trustee of the First Baptist Church. [Batavia Herald, 23 May 1895]

DIED: Mr. Charles MILLER at his home, three miles east of this city, Monday, May 20th, at 11 p.m., after three days illness from Pneumonia, aged 72 years. Funeral services were held from the residence Wednesday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 23 May 1895]

Meets Death by Suicide
Mrs. Conrad GRAMPP committed suicide by hanging, Sunday, May 26 at her home, 174 North Fourth street, Aurora. She had been in poor health some time and had worried a great deal over the sickness of a daughter in Chicago, until it is thought her mind became unbalanced [Batavia Herald, 30 May 1895]

Death of Rev. S. F. CLARKE
Rev. S. F. CLARKE, of North Aurora, died Friday, May 24, ’95, at 7 o’clock. Funeral services were held at his home, on Monday morning, at 9:30 o'clock and from the Calvary Episcopal Church, at Batavia, at 11 o’clock. Deceased was born near Haven, Conn., August 6, 1814, and came to Illinois in 1838, living a short time in Rushville, Ill., and moving in 1843 on his farm where he has since lived.
He was senior warden of the Calvary Episcopal Church in Batavia and for years has been an active member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Aurora. He leaves six children all of whom live in Aurora except one whose home is in Nebraska. [Batavia Herald, 30 May 1895]

DIED: Mrs. Austin BURKE, at her home southeast of this city, Friday, May 24, 1895, at 5 p.m., after a lingering illness from consumption, aged about 58 years. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon from the Holy Cross Church, Rev. Father Rathz officiating; burial talking place in the East Side Cemetery. Deceased leaves a husband and a large family of children to mourn her departure. [Batavia Herald, 30 May 1895]

Dies a Horrible Death
C. P. ANDERSON Arose From His Sick Bed, While in a Fit of Despondency, Friday, Mch. 29,
Gashed His Head and Cut His Throat, Which Brought a Horrible Death. He Leaves a Wife and Six Little Children, Empty Handed.
One of the saddest cases of suicide that has occurred in Batavia in many months, was brought to the ears of our citizens, Friday, March 29. C. P. ANDERSON, a Swedish citizen, had his little home at the west of Batavia, that sheltered Father, Mother, and six little children. Friday it was thrown into deep sorrow and sore affliction, from the sudden and horrible death of the husband and father.
Mr. Anderson had been confined to his home for some time, with sickness. During some of the past trying months of business depression, he had been out of work, and shortly after he had secured employment, was stricken down with sickness. While thus lying on his bead of pain and discomfort, his mind continually dwelt on the fact that provisions in the house were getting low, some old obligations were to be met, and a wife and six little children were depending upon him for support.
He was receiving the best of medical treatment, his wife had carefully watched over him night and day, and for a few moments, she stepped out of his room to run an errand. Just as she left, it seems that the sick and despondent man arose from his bed, secured a razor and commenced the horrible work of self destruction. He hacked and cut deep gashes on his head and then drew the razor across his throat. When found, he presented a horrible sight, bleeding and dying. This is one of the most deplorable misfortunes that can overtake a poor helpless mother, left empty-handed and alone with six little children; - and the kind people of Batavia should see that she receives proper consideration and assistance.
The oldest child is but 11, and the youngest only one year old, and the woman is now in delicate health.
The family have lived in Batavia for several years; they came from Sweden, and have but few relatives here, who can help them. Depressed was 40 years of age. A Coroner’s inquest was held, - a verdict according to the facts above rendered, and the remains were interred in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 4 April, 1895]

DIED: - Miss Freida RYLANDER, of North Aurora, of consumption, April 1st, aged 16 years. Funeral was held Wednesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. J. D. Leek, and the remains were interred in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 4 April, 1895]

Dies From Too Much Morphine.
Ira W. SMITH, a well known Kane county farmer near Burlington, was found dead in his bead in a hotel in Elgin, Monday morning, having taken twenty grains of morphine. Deceased was well known in this county and was considered a man of ability. He was a member of the Maccabees and Modern Woodmen.
[Batavia Herald, 4 April, 1895]

An Aged Couple Enter Death Together.
Isaac HATCH, of Little Rock, died on Tuesday of last week, and Friday, March 29, his widow, Mrs. Adeliza HATCH, also died, aged 75 years. The funerals of both were held, at Little Rock, together.
Mr. HATCH was for many years, Supervisor, in Kane County, living just over the line, and was an honorable and upright gentleman, who had made a success of life. [Batavia Herald, 4 April, 1895]

DIED: - At his home in Warrenville, April 11, 1895, Mr. Dennis CONNELL, aged 82 years. The funeral was April 13. Deceased was the father of Mrs. Geo. WATSON and Mrs. NETZLEY, of this city. [Batavia Herald, 11 April, 1895]

Death from Blood Poison.
About five weeks ago, Mr. Herman NURNBERG was taken ill with the gripp, which settled in the back and hips, causing him much suffering. He was taken to the hospital in Chicago, but was told there was no help for him. So he was brought to his brother’s in this city where he received the best of care and medical aid, but blood poison set in and he passed peacefully away, Sunday, March 3, 1895, at 2 p.m., aged about 22 years. He was an honest and industrious young man and had many friends who mourn his early death. Funeral services were held from the German Lutheran Church, Tuesday at 2 p.m., and the remains interred in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 7 March 1895]

Wheaton’s Founder Dead.
Surrounded by his family and numerous friends, Jesse WHEATON, whom everyone fondly called “Uncle Jesse.” Died after a long and painful illness, at his home in Wheaton, Illinois, on Monday, February 25th, 1895, at 4 o'clock, a.m. His end was a peaceful and happy one and occurred at the ripe age of 82 years. Death was a complication of troubles, chief among which was kidney disease and old age.
His interest in Wheaton led him to use efforts that proved successful to secure a railroad and in 1848, when railroads were rare, he had the satisfaction of hearing the Northwestern locomotive whistle in Wheaton. He was largely instrumental in all the growth and development of his own community in particular. It was he who determined that Wheaton should have a college and his earnestness in that matter is shown in the fact that he, himself, drew the stone for its foundation from Batavia, Ill.
[Batavia Herald, 7 March 1895]

DIED: - Margaret, the three year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. FELDOTT, Thursday, Feb. 28, 1895, at 10:30 p.m., of Congestion of the lungs. Deceased was a very bright and winning child and was much beloved by all. The funeral took place Sunday, and the remains laid to rest in the East Side Cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 7 March 1895]

Wm. Smith, of the firm of Smith & Crane, received the sad news, Monday, March 4, that his brother, Capt. J. H. SMITH, of Columbus, Kansas, that morning. Deceased was a great politician; having held several offices of trust for the government; warden of the State penitentiary for 4 years; also an ex-postmaster of Columbus. Owing to business Mr. Smith was unable to attend the funeral. [Batavia Herald, 7 March 1895]

A Useful Life Ended.
Sketch of the Late Capt. John H. SMITH. He held Various Offices of Honor and Trust, Led a Useful, active Life.
The Columbus, (Kans.) Advocate of March 7, has the following to say of the late Capt. J. H. SMITH, brother of our worthy citizen, Mr. William SMITH of the firm Smith & Crane; whose death occurred very suddenly at Topeka, March 4, 1895, of Apoplexy, aged 45 years.
“The telegram announcing the death of Capt. John SMITH, at Topeka, March 4th, was the most startling news that has reached this city in a long time, and it not only conveyed sorrow to the stricken family, but all Columbus mourns the loss of a good citizen, a warm friend, and a devoted worker in every cause which he conscientiously thought was right, and no one could have been taken from our midst that would be more missed in the business of the town, in the church, the Masonic and G. A. R. fraternities than Capt. John H. SMITH.
John H. SMITH was born in LaPorte county, Indiana, January 10th, 1841. He was baptized in his infancy, by Dr. John L. SMITH then, until quite recently a presiding elder in the North-west conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
At the breaking out of the war of the rebellion, he was a student at a Methodist institute in Valparaiso, Indiana, which has since merged into one of the most noted Normal Colleges in the country. His school books were at once laid aside in response to the call of the president for soldiers to put down the rebellion. He enlisted as a private in Company G, Fifteenth Indiana infantry, one of the first three year regiments mustered into the service from that state.
He was in all the campaigns, marches and battles of his regiment, from the time of his enlistment in April 1861 to his final muster out in June 1864. He was twice wounded. First in the foot at the battle of Stone River and in the hand at one of the battles preceding the down fall of Atlanta. He rose by the usual grade, from a private, to the captaincy of the company, and was honorably discharged after three years and two months services.
He was united in marriage to Miss Mary L. MARTIN, at Westville, LaPorte county, Indiana, November 9th, 1864. Four children, three sons, and one daughter blessed their union, three of who are living, the eldest and first born dying at Paola, soon after coming to Kansas.
Capt. SMITH came to Kansas some time in the late fifties and while in the west made a journey over land to Pikes Peak, Colorado.
He located first, permanently, in Kansas, at Paola, in the fall of 1866 and was a resident of that city for about seven years and during that time was twice elected mayor and was postmaster for a term.
His first introduction to this country was in 1873 in superintending the erection of the Zinc Works at Weir City, of which he was superintendent and manager, for a time, after the works were in operation.
While a resident of Weir City, he was elected a representative district being, at that time, the north two-thirds of the county.
He removed to this city in 1876, which has since continued to be his home, though at times away a great deal in the public service of the state.
From 1878 to 1885 he was chief deputy U. S. Marshal for the District of Kansas.
In the spring of 1885, he was by Gov. John A. Martin, appointed to the responsible position of Warden of the Kansas penitentiary, a position he filled with singular credit to himself and the state.
In the spring of 1891, the legislature having created a new board, known as the State Board of Public Works, on whom devolved the responsibility of the construction of public buildings for the state.
He took an active part in political affairs and was zealous for the principals of his party and the success of its candidates. He was probably the best known to the citizens throughout the state of any man in the county. He had friends in every locality of the state who will be pained t learn of his death.”
Deceased leaves a wife, two sons, and one daughter to mourn; the eldest son, Dr. Harry, and the daughter, Miss Mona, will be pleasantly remembered in Batavia, from their visits at their uncle's in this city. [Batavia Herald, 28 March 1895]

Dies by His Own Hands.
The Aurora News says oppressed by care, haunted by gloomy forebodings, and tired of life in general, Charles T. FINK, twenty-nine years of age, ended his earthly career Sunday night by sending a bullet through his own brain while abed. He was discovered by his mother who had gone to his room to call her son for breakfast. Charles lived with his parents at No. 255 North View street and worked part of the time at the Cooperage factory. He was a quiet young fellow, associating little with others and seemed inclined to melancholy. His health was poor. [Batavia Herald, 7 March 1895]

Death of Mr. J. ROWCLIFFE.
Mr. J. ROWCLIFFE, living west of this city, after nearly a year's illness, died from dropsy, Friday morning, March 8th, 1895, aged about 50 years. Deceased was the father of six children, four sons and two daughters all of whom have grown to maturity, and are now left with the fife and mother to mourn the death of the husband and father.
Funeral services were held from the First M. E. church, Sunday at 2 p.m., Rev. J. D. Leek, officiating. Remains were interred in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 14 March 1895]

Young Mother Taken From Her Children.
Mrs. Herman WERTZ, died at her home on Wilson Street, Thursday, March 7, 1895, after a few months illness of quick consumption, aged 25 years. The death of Mrs. WERTZ seems extremely sad, as she is taken away from two young daughters who greatly need a mother’s loving care, also an aged mother, who is left to mourn with the grief stricken husband. Funeral services were held from the German Lutheran Church, Saturday at 2 p.m. and the remains laid to rest in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 14 March 1895]

An Exemplary Life Gone Out.
Mr. J. S. HAWLEY, the Veteran Merchant of Kane County, Expires March 12, ‘95. Well Known in Batavia.
Deceased was one of the Substantial Business Men Who Could Accumulate a Fortune by Honest and Square Dealing and Respected by All.
[Aurora Beacon]
After two weeks of suffering from paralysis, Mr. John S. HAWLEY, the well-known dry goods merchant surrendered his spirit to its Giver 15 2:15, Tuesday morning, March 12, 1895. The end been looked for ever since he was stricken, and the great surprise is that he should live so long.
Mr. HAWLEY was born in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in October, 1820, and in 1837 came west, locating at Chicago. In 1850, he set up in the dry goods business on West Lake St. in that city, the following year coming to Aurora, establishing a dry goods store in the building owned by L. D. Brady, corner Broadway and Main streets.
A few months later he purchased lot 114 Main street and erected the building he has since occupied, his establishment being well and favorably known throughout the country surrounding the Aurora. At various times he carried on business jointly with partners, but for the past few years had been conducting it alone.
Mr. HAWLEY was married in May, 1859, to Mary Marian MALCOLM, whose death in December was a severe blow to the companion of 45 years. They leave, besides a large circle of friends. Mrs. James H. SANDERS, of Southbridge, Mass., and Dr. William H. HAWLEY, of the American College of Dental Surgery, who remember them as kind and indulgent parents.
In his life he was a quiet, modest, kind hearted and exemplary gentleman, who never thrust himself forward for public distinction. He only accepted one office during his residence in Aurora, that of city treasurer.
Deceased was a member of one of the first fire companies in Chicago, and also served a seven years’ term, from 1857 to 1864, in the Young America Fire Company, the first in Aurora. He was one of the founders of the Aurora National Bank, and was a director and heavy stockholder at the time of his death.
Mr. HAAWLEY for many years attended the Universalist Church, but of late, has not been identified with any church; his high moral every day life has been the best evidence of his religious character.
Funeral from the late residence, 171 LaSalle St., this (Thursday) at 2 p.m.
[Batavia Herald, 14 March 1895]

Mr. and Mrs. John MICHOLSON went to St. Charles Wednesday to attend the funeral of Mrs. W’s brother-in-law, Mr. John SWANSON, who died Monday, of consumption. [Batavia Herald, 21 March 1895]

Mrs. W. E. KING was called to the death bed of her sister, Mrs. Geo. CURTIS, in Chicago, Sunday. The dread messenger took the young wife and mother from the home of her loved ones, soon after Mrs. K’s arrival. [Batavia Herald, 21 March 1895]

Mr. Eben DANFORD, one of the oldest settlers of Kane Co., died at his home in Aurora, March 13, 1895, at the age of 80 years. The funeral took place at the Cong’l. Church, at Geneva, last Friday. Mr. DANFORD was well and favorably known in Batavia, as well as throughout Kane Co. and was one of the first to manufacture Harvesters and Threshing Machines.
[Batavia Herald, 21 March 1895]

W. A. THOMS, of this city, has been called upon, to mourn the death of his aged father, Robert THOMS, who passed away at his home, in Elgin, Monday, March 18, 1895, aged 86 years. [Batavia Herald, 21 March 1895]
One of Kane County’s Veterans Gone.
Robt. THOMS Dies, in His 86th Year.
The Elgin Courier gives the following obituary. Deceased was the father of our worthy citizen, W. A. THOMS:
“Robert THOMS died at the home of his son, No. 624 South Street, Monday, evening, March 18, 1895, at 6:35 of paralysis, hastened by old age. He was born in Scotland and came to Elgin in 1850, locating on a farm east of this city, where he resided for several years, when he removed to a farm he had purchased two miles west of Elgin, living there until one year ago when he removed.
“He was aged 85 years and 6 months, and was a well known citizen whom all held in highest esteem. Mr. THOMS had amassed a competence and enjoyed a peaceful, happy old age up to eighteen months ago when his wife died. He did not rally from the shock.
“He was a lifelong member of the Methodist church and carried his religion into his daily life, being a man of strict integrity and steadfastness of purpose.
“He leaves a sister, Mrs. CRAIGIE Sharp, of California, formerly of this city, and seven children, A. P. and Miss Maria, of this city; Rev. J. P., pastor of the Ashland avenue Baptist church, Chicago; Robert, of St. Louis; Rev. C. S., of Des Moines,; Rev. J. C., pastor of the Mariner’s temple, New York City; W.A. THOMS, of Batavia; George B. and Charles M., of Rochester, New York; W. E., of California and Mrs. Rev. G. W. WITTINGTON, of Chicago”
[Batavia Herald, 28 March 1895]

Meets Death Under the Cars.
Edwin PETERSON, a Batavia Boy, Is Thrown Under the Wheels of a Moving Train, at Pontiac, and Dies From the Injuries Received, Shortly After.
A very sad accident occurred at Pontiac, Ill., on Thursday, March 21, by which Edwin Emanuel, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter PETERSON, lost his life.
Failing to find employment in Batavia, he and Johnnie, his elder brother, set out for East St. Louis, where prospects for securing positions seemed more encouraging. They left home on Thursday, at noon, journeyed to Pontiac, and about 9:15 in the evening attempted to board a moving train on the Alton Railroad, when Edwin’s left foot slipped from the step and he was drawn beneath the wheels, where both legs were badly mangled and he received internal injuries, from which he died, at 1 o'clock, Friday morning, at the youthful age of 16 years, 1 month, and 18 days.
A telegram soon after announced the sad intelligence to his parents, and Henry, the eldest son, hastened to the scene of suffering and death. He was not left to make preparations for interment alone, however, for Rev. J. Bell, pastor of the M. E. church in that city and the Epworth League tendered him much sympathy and assistance. The brothers returned with the remains of their departed loved one, at 6 o'clock, Saturday evening and the funeral services were conducted by Revs. R. E. Thomas and John D. Leek, at the home of his sorrowful parents, at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. This sad incident should remind both young and old of the necessity of being ready for death, for we know not how sudden it may come to us.
[Batavia Herald, 28 March 1895]

Mrs. S. J. HAMPTON passes away.
After a Long Illness, Aged 54 Years, A Devoted Wife and Mother and Kind Neighbor Gone.
Mrs. S. J. HAMPTON, died at her home on the East Side, Friday morning, Feb. 1, 1895, after a long illness, aged 54 years.
Martha Jane CHAMBERS, second child of Wm. H. H. and Adelia BOOTH CHAMBERS, was born near Maple Park, Nov. 23, 1840, and was married to Sylvester J. Hampton, at Aurora, Ill., March 16, 1857, by Rev. Keys.
She was the mother of seven children, four of whom are grown to manhood and womanhood; Fred, Lee, and Harry, of North LaCross, Wis., and Mrs. Fred HAZELHURST, of St. Charles, who were all present at the funeral, and with the father mourn the loss of a loving wife and mother; the other three dying in childhood and were waiting to welcome her on the other shore.
Deceased had spent most of her life in Batavia, where she had been highly esteemed for her kindness of heart, industry, and devotion to her home and its duties, by all who knew her, and although she has been ill for a long time she was ever patient and thoughtful of the comfort of those around her, and her death is a sad blow to the husband.
Mrs. HAZELHURST, who has kindly cared for her invalid mother the past six months, has decided to take up her residence in this city and keep up the old home of her father, which is a great comfort to him in this hour of sorrow. Funeral services were held at the home at 3 p.m., Sunday, conducted by Rev. R. e. Thomas of the Christian church, the music being furnished by the quartet, composed of Mrs. Alverson, Miss McDaniels, Messrs. Frydendall and Cole. The remains were interred in the East Side Cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 7 Feb. 1895]

DIED: - The little two and half year old daughter, of Mrs. And Mrs. John PIERSON, at their home on the East Side, Monday morning, Feb. 4, 1895. Funeral services were held Tuesday at 2 p.m. from the Swedish Lutheran Church, and the remains interred in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 7 Feb. 1895]

[top of paper cut off]
. . . highly respected resident of Batavia, died at his home, on the East Side, Friday morning, Dec. 21, 1894, after an illness of eight weeks, from abscess of the liver, aged 72 years and 8 months.
Deceased had a sever attack of the Gripp, in the winter of ’90, from which he never fully recovered, although being able, most of the time, to attend to his work, until this fall, when he was smitten with disease that the best of medical skill or loving care could not arrest, after eight long weeks of intense suffering he was released by death. During all the extreme pain, he was ever patient, and bore up under the ordeal with true Christian fortitude.
Mr. KELLEY was born in Galway, Ireland, March 15, 1822, came to this country and settled in Chicago during the fifties, remaining there for a short time, when he removed to Batavia, where he has lived the past 36 years, and by his honest and upright ways has won the good will and high esteem of all.
Four, two sons, Robert, of White Water, Wis., Wm. Of Centralia, Wis., and two daughters, Mrs. Margaret DONAVAN, of Turner, and Mrs. Mary DONAHUE, of this city, are left with the faithful wife to mourn his departure. The children with the exception of Mrs. Donavan, who was confined to her home with illness, were present at the funeral. Deceased served during the Mexican War, but had never received a pension as was his due, although applications had been made at various times. His death leaves but one surviving member of this war in Batavia, Mr. Hugh REILLY, who bears that honor. Funeral services were held Sunday, Dec. 23, at 10:30 a.m., from the Holy Cross church, and was largely attended; Rev. Father Rahtz officiating. Interment took place at Calvary Cemetery, Aurora. [Batavia Herald, 3 January, 1895]

Death of Mr. John LACY
John Lacy died, at his home in this city, Saturday, Jan. 12, 1895, after a long illness of chronic stomach trouble, age 52 years.
Mr. LACY came to Batavia, from DeKalb, about twelve years ago, and has resided here ever since, and followed the occupation of a teamster.
Deceased leaves a wife and seven children to mourn the loss of a kind and loving husband and father.
Funeral services were held, Monday morning, from Holy Cross church, Rev. Father Rathz officiating, and the remains were laid to rest in the West Side Cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 17 January, 1895]

The funeral of Mrs. Smith HULS, who has been a sufferer from consumption, was held at St. Charles, Wednesday, at 1 p.m. Mrs. H. was well and favorably known in Batavia, being a relative of the Van Nortwicks and the Mallorys. [Batavia Herald, 17 January, 1895]

Death of an Old Veteran
News has been received, by Batavia Post, of the death of Joseph J. KELSER, which occurred at Leavenworth, Kansas, Sept. 15, 1894. Deceased was an old resident of Batavia and Geneva, and came to Illinois in ’58. He was a carriage maker by trade and has worked in Elgin and this city. He was married to Louisa SCOTT in May, 1861; enlisted Sept. 10, 1861, as First Sergeant Co. D, 92nd Ill. In.; was promoted to First Lieutenant, in the same Co., June 13, ’63; was mustered out Dec. 18, ’64; was a charter member of Geo. Spaulding Post, at Geneva, where he resided after coming home, and where he was Post-Master for 12 years. Mr. KESLER was an honored and respected citizen.
[Batavia Herald, 24 January, 1895]

Sad Death of Carrie WINCHELL
A Promising Young Lady Cut Down in Early Womanhood.
Parents and sisters bowed in Grief.
The many friends of Miss Carrie WINCHELL were shocked Wednesday morning to hear that she, who had so recently assembled them in their skating carnivals, in the best of health and spirits had been suddenly called to that shore from whence no traveler ever returns, and that she had met with them in their festive gatherings for the last time, and at first it seemed almost impossible, but alas it proved true.
Deceased was stricken with illness, Monday, Jan. 14, but was not considered to be seriously ill until the disease developed into Pneumonia, when Death came without a moment's warning to the grief stricken household, completely prostrating them; the father being confined to his bed by the terrible shock.
It seems sad to part with our friends at any time by death, but especially so when they are in the full bloom of health and just entering womanhood, with a bright and prosperous life to look forward to, surrounded by tender home ties and many dear friends as was the deceased. Yet God works in mysterious ways, and we must submit to the inevitable.
Deceased was a bright, industrious and energetic young lady having held a responsible position as a stenographer, at the North-Western Depot, Chicago, nearly two years, where she was ever found at her post of duty until overtaken by illness.
Miss Carrie WINCHELL, oldest daughters of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. WINCHELL, was born in Batavia, July 27, 1873, where her whole life has been spent, having been educated at the West Side High School. She was taken ill with a sever cold, Jan. 14th, which developed in Pneumonia; which complicated with nervous and heart trouble caused her death, Wednesday, Jan. 30, 1895, at 10 a.m., aged 21 years, 6 months, and 3 days. She leaves a large circle of friends who mourn with the sorrowing family over her early and sad death. [Batavia Herald, 31 Jan. 1895]

Herman WILDE, an insane man, from Aurora, died last week, of Apoplexy. [Batavia Herald, 6 Dec. 1894]

Sudden Death by Heart Failure.
Mrs. B. DANFORTH Expires Sunday Morning, Dec. 2, Without Any Warning.
Mrs. Benjamin DANFORTH retired to rest, Saturday evening in her usual health, and at 5 o'clock Sunday morning, Dec. 2, 1894, her husband was awakened by heavy breathing, and immediately arose to ascertain if she was ill, but upon speaking to her received no reply., and was horror stricken to find that her spirit had taken to its flight; death having resulted from heart failure, without a struggle, or a moments warning. Deceased has been in poor health for some time, still her death was very unexpected and a great shock to family and friends.
She was born in Canton, England, May 18, 1826, was married to Mr. B. DANFORTH, July 30, 1847, came to this country in 1849, and has been a resident of Batavia for 43 years, being 68 years, 6 months, and 13 days old at the time of her death. Deceased was the mother of eleven children, four, three daughters and one son, whom are left with the father to mourn; the other seven having preceded her to the spirit world. Mrs. DANFORTH was a lady highly esteemed and greatly beloved by all who knew her; being a quiet modest disposition, her home being her kingdom.
The funeral took place from the home Tuesday afternoon; Rev. J. S. Forward officiating, and the remains laid to rest in the family lot in the East Side cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 6 Dec. 1894]

Released From Long Suffering.
Mrs. PLAUTZ, a German lady, living on the East Side, was released from a long and painful illness by the death angel, Thursday, Nov. 29, 1894, at 4 a.m., aged 66 years. Deceased leaves one son, and three daughters, Mrs. RADDANT, living South East of this city, Mrs. KOPEKE, of Mich., Mrs. SCHWER and Charles, both of Batavia, besides a large circle of friends to mourn her death; her husband having preceded her to the spirit world several years ago. The funeral took place from the German M. E. church, Saturday at 1:30 p.m., and the remains laid to rest in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 6 Dec. 1894]

Death of William Burr SMITH
Remains Brought to Batavia for Interment ,Sat. Dec. 1st.
We glean the following obituary from the Chicago Inter Ocean, which will be of interest to our many readers, as deceased was well known and highly respected by a large number of our citizens, who tender their sympathy to the bereaved wife, who was a former resident of this city. The remains were brought here for burial beside those of other loved ones:
Wm. Burr SMITH, died at his home, No. 2909 Wabash Ave., Nov. 28, 1894. He was born in Green Co., N. Y., Feb. 3, 1835; son of Nathan, the only one of five brothers – Henry, Elijah, Orson, and Hiram – who did not come to Chicago from Mich., where his father had settled, July 20, 1851, and for a time resided with his uncle, Orson at No. 181 Wabash Ave. He was a valued member of the Markley Alling & Co., from 1864 until his death.
He was married July 12, 1861, to Irene A., daughter of Rev. M. N. LORD, who survives him; their three children being dead.
Mr. SMITH was one of the substantial members of the National Guard Cadets organized in McCarthy’s Building, on northeast corner Washington and Dearborn Sts., March 19, 1856, of which he was first lieutenant. Its first captain, the late Colonel Joseph R. SCOTT, of the Nineteenth Illinois Volunteers, and he, were roommates for years. He continued with the Cadets of the Sixtieth Regiment, and later, as one of the most efficient members of the United States Zouave Cadets, commanded by the late Colonel ELLSWORTH, that made a tour of the Eastern cities in July and August, 1860. Among the members he was the most popular, always a great favorite, and was usually endearingly addressed by the sobriquet as “Powhattan,” or “Pow,” for short. His strict integrity and social qualities made him popular among his business associates, and to his friends whom he considered less successful in life he was liberal to a fault.
[Batavia Herald, 6 Dec. 1894]

Geneva’s Mayor Found Dead.
The Grim Destroyer Takes His Life Without the Slightest Warning to Wife, Relatives or Neighbors.
[Geneva Republican]
When the word was passed about Thursday morning, that Mayor Wm. CONANT was dead, the sad and startling intelligence could scarcely be realized. The evening before he was about town, and as far as was known to the public, was in usual health. He retired on Wednesday evening at the usual hour, and made no complaint to the wife of feeling unwell. It had been a custom of his to arise before the wife each morning and attend to the duties preparatory to the morning meal, and upon waking she thought it surprising that he was still in bed. Upon looking she observed his quiet appearance and changed features, and ran to call a niece who occupied an upper room. The family physician was hastily called, who said that life had been extinct an hour or more. He had been troubled of late with rheumatic pains, and some three years ago had an attack of heart trouble from which he never fully recovered.
William CONANT was a native of Vermont, born at Brandon, March 13, 1819. He was a descendent of Roger CONANT who came from the south of England in 1622 and founded the settlement at Salem, Mass.
Mr. CONANT received a common school education and remained upon the homestead until 31 years old, then (in 1850) he came to Geneva where he has since resided. During his residence here he was engaged in various enterprises, for a long time carrying on a farm just south of the city.
In political faith he was a Republican and has served in both town and city offices. In the spring of 1893 he was elected Mayor of the city, the term expiring next spring.
He was a man of sterling integrity and character, strong in his convictions, and untiring in his efforts to do what seemed best whether a private or public duty.
September 9, 1840, Mr. CONANT married Melissa WHITE, who shared his joys and sorrows until March, 1874, when she passed to her last long sleep. There are two daughters, a Mrs. ACERS, living in Kansas, Miss Jessie, in business in Batavia, and son, Luther, in business in Chicago. Mr. Conant’s second marriage occurred Nov. 3, 1886, with Mrs. Olivia CLEVELAND, widow of Thos. L. CLEVELAND, late of Batavia, Ill. Mr. CONANT was a Chapter mason. [Batavia Herald, 13 Dec. 1894]

Demise of Mrs. J. S. HAWLEY.
Wife of the Veteran Dry Goods Merchant of Aurora.
Many of the early settlers of Batavia, will remember, pleasantly, Mr. and Mrs. S. J. HAWLEY, of Aurora, who in an early day were associated with them very often.
Death has entered this home and left a bereaved and lonely husband. His estimable wife was stricken down, with paralysis, a short time ago, lingered in illness, for about two weeks, and passed to the great beyond, Saturday, Dec. 8th, 1894, surrounded by her husband, son, daughter, and friends.
Deceased was 69 years of age. She leaves one son, Mr. Will HAWLEY, who is studying dentistry in Chicago, and one daughter, Mrs. J. S. SANDERS, of Southbridge, Mass., who were permitted to be with her and kindly administered to her wants, during her last illness.
Mrs. HAWLEY was a most exemplary lady, highly esteemed by all who knew her, being kind and always considerate of others, and a noble character in her home she cherished so much.
In an early day she use to assist her husband in business. He has been one of the successful merchants of Aurora, for over 30 years, and is today, one of the solid, reliable business men of that city.
Very impressive funeral services were held, at the home, Monday afternoon, Dec. 10th, conducted by Rev. Dr. Thomas, of Chicago, who was their former and highly esteemed Pastor.
The Herald extends its heartfelt sympathies, to the bereaved husband, son and daughter, in this, their hour of sorrow.
[Batavia Herald, 13 Dec. 1894]

Found Dead in His Shop.
Geo. F. RESSEGUIE Passes Away Suddenly,
While at Work in His Blacksmith Shop, at Warrenville, Tuesday, Dec. 11.
Supposed to be Heart Disease.
A few years ago sudden deaths, from heart disease was seldom heard of outside the cities. To-day they are numerous and frequent, in this and every other section.
Tuesday, Dec. 11, 1894, at about 8:30, a.m., Mr. Geo. F. RESSEGUIE, of this city, was found cold in death, in his blacksmith shop, at Warrenville, just as he had been performing his daily labors.
Only a few days ago, O.W. RESSEGUIE visited his father, at his old home, - found him to be in his usual health, and tried to prevail upon him, to come to Batavia to make his home with him, as he was living all alone. But the aged father had been the ever faithful Village Blacksmith at Warrenville, for over 30 years. Things around there were dear to him. His associations and business relations, he could not think of parting with, - so there he preferred to remain, - at the scenes of his old home and workshop, although he was alone, - little thinking that his earthly days were so very few and the time of departure so close at hand. The Physician, after examination, pronounced his sudden death caused by heart disease.
The Coroner’s inquest was held, and a verdict returned, according to the above facts.
Funeral services were held, Thursday, at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. John D. Leek, and the remains interred in the Warrenville Cemetery. Geo. F. RESSEGUIE came to Illinois from Rutland County, Vermont, away back, in the early settlement of this state, where he has resided ever since. At the time of his death he was 78 years of age. Deceased leaves six children, O. W. and S. V. residing in Batavia.
[Batavia Herald, 13 Dec. 1894]

Released From Long Suffering.
Mrs. L. P. BARKER, Passes Away, Dec. 17th, ’94, of Paralysis, aged 83 yrs.
She was one of the Early Pioneers of Batavia, and a Lady Esteemed by all who knew her.
Mrs. Mary BARKER, wife of L. P. Barker, died at her home, on Washington Ave., Monday, Dec. 17, 1894; her life going out just as the new day began its course. She had been in her usual health up to Friday evening, Dec. 14, then there was a marked change, but as she lived on through Sunday, and seemed no worse, her death was not looked for soon. Her daughter, Mrs. SNOW, left her bedside Sunday evening, to go to her home in Aurora, for the night, and was shocked to find on her return Monday morning that her mother had passed away.
Mrs. BARKER was born in Madison Co., N.Y., March 20, 1812, and was at the time of her death, aged 82 years, 8 months, and 27 days. A little more than 33 years of her life was spent in New York state. Feb. 15, 1845, she was married to Lawrence P. BARKER. The following September, they started West to make themselves a home in Illinois. The second night of their arrival in the state. Was spent in Batavia, on the spot where the homestead now stands.
About three years ago they moved a few rods into the house where she died. Nearly half a century Mrs. BARKER lived in Batavia, and in the same neighborhood, and is not only remembered as an old inhabitant, but also as a good neighbor and a royal woman. She was the mother of four children. Three of these are well and favorable known in Batavia, Mrs. SNOW, of Aurora, Mrs. BUTTON, of Mich., and W. P. BARKER, of this city; one daughter dying at the age of 22. Her death left sorrow in her mother’s heart. About 20 years ago, while on her way to her daughters, who was ill, she fell on the icy walk and fractured her hip at the joint. For days and weeks her suffering was intense, and this strain on her system most severe, and while, after two years, was able to get around on crutches, she was an invalid the rest of her life. Added to this life, probably caused by it, about five years ago she had a paralytic stroke which left her more helpless. Kind care was given her to smooth her last day’s journey, till death released her spirit from the worn body.
She was baptized into the membership of the Baptist church Nov. 14, 1858. She was known as a faithful member, though for 20 years she was laid aside from active work. The funeral was held at the house, at 2 o'clock p.m., Dec. 19, 1894, conducted by Rev. J. S. Forward, and the remains were interred in the East Side cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 20 Dec. 1894]

Death of Mr. John LEE.
After a Brief Illness of Paralysis, Aged 68 Years.
For 34 Years he Was the Faithful Night Watch, at the VanNortwick Paper Mill.
Mr. John LEE, died at his home, on Batavia Ave., Thursday, Dec. 13, 1894, at 4:45 a.m., after a brief illness from paralysis, aged 68 years, and eight months.
Deceased was born in Moncon, Ireland, April 1825; came to America in 1845, and Feb. 11, 1849, was married at Ogdensburg, N. Y., to Miss Mary TOLE. In May of the same year he came to Ill., and settled in Batavia, his wife following in August. They immediately took up their residence on the Ave where they have made their home ever since, and during this period of over 45 years, he has by his quiet and unpretentious life, honesty and uprightness won the esteem and good will of all.
Mr. LEE had been the faithful and efficient night watch at the Van Nortwick Paper Mill, for the post 34 years, and during all this time had only been absent from duty, not to exceed one week, in all, and even after taking ill, he did not fail to be at his post of duty until compelled to take to his bed.
He was first smitten with illness Thanksgiving morning, but did not give up until the following Sunday, and from the very first seemed to realize that he could not recover, as he arranged all business matters, made his will, and attended to all minor details, advising his faithful wife, etc. At the first he was a great sufferer, but at the last became more restful. Before coming to this country he united with the Church of England, and remained true to his early religion until death.
Deceased was the father of four children, two sons, Charlie, who died, at the age of 30, in Washington Territory, in 1881, and Wm. John, that died at the age of 7, in 1860; both are sleeping in the West Side Cemetery. The daughters, Mrs. Mary MCALLISTER and Mrs. Sarah T. HOMES, both of this city, were permitted to be with him and help care for him in his last illness.
The funeral took p[lace from the Holy Cross Church, Saturday, afternoon at 2 o'clock, conduced by Rev. Father Rathz, and was largely attended. The family return their heartfelt thanks to all those who so kindly assisted them during the sickness and death of their loved one, also to the Quartette, that sang at the funeral. [Batavia Herald, 20 Dec. 1894]

Sad Demise of Mrs. J. P. JOHNSON.
A Young Wife Snatched From Her Beloved Home.
Mrs. J. P. JOHNSON, died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James STEBBINS, east of Batavia, on the Warne farm, Saturday, Dec. 15, 1894, of Diabetes, aged about 34 years.
The death of Mrs. JOHNSON seems doubly sad, as she was a young woman with every prospect of a happy life before her; having only been married a short time, and with her devoted young husband had established a pleasant home on Wilson St., where they had hoped to enjoy many years of happiness, but alas she was smitten with disease. And death cared not for human ambitions or love, and the young wife was rudely snatched from her earthly paradise, to be transplanted to another, safe from all ills.
Ida STEBBINS was born in Downers Grove, in 1870, and was the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James STEBBINS. She came to Batavia with her parents when a child, was educated as the East Side School, and had been a member of the Cong’l. church for several years. Nov. 23, 1892, she was married to N. P. Johnson, of this city, where they and a cosy home and everything to make them happy until death entered and made it desolate. Deceased has been ill for some time, but was able to be up and around, and passed away while on a visit to her parents. The funeral took place from the home of her parents, Monday at 11 a.m., Rev. Paxton, of North Aurora, conducting the service. Music being furnished by associates of the deceased. Burial took place in the West Side cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 20 Dec. 1894]

Sudden Death of Mrs. CAHILL. - At the Advanced Age of 93 Years.
Mrs. Mary CAHILL, died very suddenly, at her home, two and one-half miles southeast of this city, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 1894, at three o'clock p.m., aged 93 years. Deceased seemed in her usual health and was enjoying a cup of tea, when without any warning, she was suddenly called home.
The funeral was held Sunday morning from Holy Cross church, Rev Father Rathz conducting the services. The remains were laid to rest in Mount Olivet Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 20 Dec. 1894]

In giving report of the death of Miss Elizabeth FEATHERSTONE, the Herald was misinformed of the nature of her disease. She was afflicted with paralysis, instead of consumption. Deceased was born Merrimack Co., New Hampshire, June 30, 1858, but she has resided in this Township, for many years. Before her sickness she held a position in Chicago. [Batavia Herald, 1 Nov. 1894]

Sad Death of Mrs. G. R. KENYON.
A Beloved Wife and Mother and Valued Citizen Is Released from Long Suffering Her Loss Keenly Felt.
Impressive Funeral Services.
Mrs. G. R. KENYON passed from this life to the great beyond, Friday, Nov. 2, 1894, at 7 p.m., at her home on Prairie and Spring St., after an illness of over seven months of great suffering from cancerous tumor, aged 49 years, 10 m and 11 days.
Is Lydia Eldora MILES was born in Newport, Maine, Dec. 21, 1844, came to Batavia in April 1865 and on Sept. 12, that year, was married to Mr. G. R. KENYON, of this city. They have made their home here ever since, and during her 29 year residence of Batavia, has by her public spiritedness, energy benevolence and charity won hosts of friends, who now mourn with the bereaved family.
Deceased was stricken in March, ’94, and has been seriously ill and a great sufferer ever since, and although the best medical aid was at once called, and she heroically submitted to a surgical operation at the Presbyterian hospital, in Chicago, but money, skill, loving care of friends and constant watchfulness of a devoted husband and children, was of no avail, and she was only released from her suffering by death.
Mrs. KENYON was a great society leader, and all knew, for her to undertake any society event, as to be successful, for she did know the meaning of the word fall. She was a valued member o the Christian church; for years a faithful matron of the Eastern Star Lodge, and at her death, an honored member of the Ladies’ Auxiliary, which order attended the funeral in a body, and deposited a beautiful floral tribute on her casket in loving memory.
Many have been the remarks and wonderment at her great success, energy and capabilities, s a leader in all social or business undertakings, but when we trace back her history, we find this wonderful trait had been inherited this wonderful trait from her pilgrim fore-fathers, as she was a seventh daughter, descending from Gov. Wm. BRADFORD, second governor of Plymouth Colony, New England, who came to America in the Mayflower., and was made governor by annual election for over 31 years, and one can plainly see where she obtained her gift as a leader and ruler, as it as a natural trait handed down by her worthy ancestors.
During her illness she has been very patient, bearing all with a true Christian spirit and submission.
Deceased was the mother of three children, Martha M., who preceded mother to the promised land in Dec. ’93, Ethna, of Harvey, and Mary of this city; thence with her little three year old grand-son, Kenneth, are left, with the bereaved husband, to mourn the death of a loving wife and mother.
The funeral was held at the Christian church, Sunday afternoon, and was very largely attended. The floral decorations being profuse and beautiful. Rev. R. E. Thomas, assisted by Rev. Finkbeiner, conducted the services. The quartette, composed of Miss Lizzie McDaniels, Mrs. Alverson, Messrs. H. A. Weaver and H. Edwin Cole, rendered several beautiful and appropriate selections.
The remains were laid to rest in the East Side Cemetery, beside her loved ones, to await the resurrection morn. [Batavia Herald, 8 Nov. 1894]

Death of Jas. S. HAMPTON.
Mr. S. J. Hampton received a telegram from LaRoy, Marion Co., Florida, last Friday, bearing news of the death of his aged father, James S. HAMPTON, who died Nov. 1, 1894, aged 85 years. Deceased came to Batavia, away back in 1844, where he has resided the majority of the time since. About 2 years ago, he removed to Florida, where he has lived, up to the time of his death. He leaves a wife and two sons, S. J., of this city and another son who resides in Turner. [Batavia Herald, 8 Nov. 1894]

Sudden Death of John WAGNER
The Avenue Passes Away Suddenly, - From Heart Failure.
Many Batavia Homes have been shrouded in sorrow and death, the past week. Some have gone after a lingering illness, - others are taken away from apparent health, without a moments warning.
Saturday, Nov. 3, ’94, John WAGNER worked in his blacksmith shop, on the Ave. Monday, Nov. 5, he lay still in death, at his home, surrounded by his wife and six children, after an illness of a few hours, from heart failure. Deceased was 46 years of age. He came to Batavia, from Aurora, about 10 years ago, and has run a blacksmith shop on the Ave., ever since. He leaves six fatherless children and a sorrow stricken wife, who are certainly burdened with extreme grief. Mr. Wagner was a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge, of Aurora. Funeral was held Wednesday, at 2 p.m., and the remains were interred in the West Side cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 8 Nov. 1894]

Death of Mrs. R. A. TUBBS
An Old Settler, 87 Years Old
Ruth Almira TUBBS, was born in Lime, Middlesex Co., Connecticut, Oct. 7, 1807, and died Nov. 3d, 1894, aged 87 years and 27 days.
After her removal to Michigan she united in marriage to Benjamin TUBBS, Jr., who survives her.
Her children, Jno. C. TUBBS, resident of Sacramento, Calif., Mrs. P. E. EDGAR, in Batavia, Ill., Mrs. Olive J. HAMPTON, Turner, Ill., Mrs. Attie L. BAMBARY, Aurora, Ill.
In the great religious movement in 1828 and ’29, Mrs. TUBBS united with the Baptist church in Middlebury, Genesee county, N. Y., and after her removal to Batavia, she united with the Disciples of Christ, and remained with them until her death.
Dr. I. S., P. LORD, of S. Pasadena, Cal., now in his 90th year, and M. N. LORD, of Benton Harbor, Mich., now 76 years old, Mrs. Ella L. HOPSON, in Louisville, Ky., 70 years of age, are her surviving brothers and sister.
Having done her duty as a firm Disciple of Christ, for her Master, a citizen to her country, as a neighbor to this community wherever it was her lot to reside. She was prepared to descend into the grave satisfied with her life's history, having been guided by her best convictions as to her duty.
Mrs. TUBBS fell, last Feb., receiving severe injuries, which confined her to her bed until released from her suffering by death.
Funeral services were held at the home in the presence of many sympathizing friends, Monday at 2 p.m., and the remains interred in the East Side Cemetery.
“Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord.”
[Batavia Herald, 8 Nov. 1894]

DIED: - The little two year old son of Mr. and Mrs. W. D. WEAVER, at his home on the West Side, Wednesday, Nov. 7th, 1894, at 1 a.m. Funeral services will be held at Aurora Friday afternoon.
[Batavia Herald, 8 Nov. 1894]

Killed by Cars At Geneva.
Edward HAWKINS and Ruth EVARTS Struck by Fast Stock Train.
The Aurora News says just before 6 o'clock, Sunday evening, about a mile west of Geneva, Edwards HAWKINS and Miss Ruth EVARTS were struck by fast stock train of the Chicago & North-western road. The former was instantly killed, Miss EVARTS sustaining a broken arm and other severe bruises.
Mr. HAWKINS as a bookkeeper, employed in Chicago, and as spending Sunday at Geneva. He and Miss EVARTS had been visiting friends in the country, just west of Geneva, and were walking home on the railroad track. At this point there is a double track, east bound trains usually running on the north track, but this train, a fast stock, as on the south track on which the young people were walking.
The young people were to have been married in a few weeks. [Batavia Herald, 15 Nov. 1894]

James GILLISPIE died last week, of Consumption. [Batavia Herald, 22 Nov. 1894]

DIED: - The little two and one half year old son of Mr. and Mrs. George THRUN, at their home on Wilson St., Monday, Nov. 19, at 4 a.m. The funeral was held from the German church, Tuesday afternoon.
[Batavia Herald, 22 Nov. 1894]

Rev. HARRISON Killed by the Cars.
Rev. Henry S. HARRISON, proprietor of the well known Congregational paper, The Advance, has resided in LaGrange for the past four years, attending to his duties daily in Chicago, Wednesday having completed his day’s work in that city, he took the 5:15 suburban train for home, reaching LaGrange at 5:45. Instead of stepping off the train to the platform on the north side, he climbed over the gate to the south side, as many do every day, and alighted just in time to be struck by the east bound mail train, running 60 mails an hour. He was hurled many feet away, and when picked up a moment later was found to be dead and badly mangled. Mr. HARRISON was a native of Illinois, and a man highly esteemed. He entered the ministry in 1880, took charge of The Advance in 1882 and became its chief owner in 1884. He had acquaintances in Batavia. [Batavia Herald, 22 Nov. 1894]

A large number from here attended the funeral of Miss Florence Edna TANNER, of Aurora, Sunday. Miss TANNER was bride's amid at the Waters-Brooks wedding, recently, being a cousin of Mrs. Willis WATERS. She has many friends among the young people in this city, who mourn her death.
[Batavia Herald, 6 September 1894]

The remains of Mrs. Emma VANDEVERE arrived here Wednesday, from Marengo, Ill., for interment in the East Side Cemetery, beside her husband. Deceased was an old resident of Batavia, and was a sister of the late Judge WILSON, and also related to the Grimes family. [Batavia Herald, 6 September 1894]

DIED: - At Augustana Hospital, Chicago, Miss Augusta JOHNSON, of this city, Monday, Sept. 3d, 1894, aged 20 years. The remains were brought to Batavia Tuesday evening and the funeral held from the Swedish Lutheran church Wednesday afternoon; Rev. A. Challman. [Batavia Herald, 6 September 1894]

DIED: - Sunday, Sept. 2d, 1894, at his home, on Spring street, Mr. Lomis H. GRIMES, aged 55 years. Deceased leaves a brother in Iowa, and a sister in this city, Mrs. G. W. LACKEY. The funeral was held at the house, Monday, at 2:30 p.m. Rev. J. S. Forward, of the Baptist church officiating. The remains were interred in the East Side cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 6 September 1894]

S. T. HINCKLEY, one of the originators and founders, also ex-superintendent of the Elgin Condensing Factory, died at his home in Chicago, last week, aged nearly 80 years. At his death he was one of the oldest residents in the city. The funeral took place at Elgin. [Batavia Herald, 13 September 1894]

Mr. and Mrs. John LUNDBERG, buried their infant child, Thursday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Edbloom, of Aurora conducting the service. This is a sad blow to Mr. and Mrs. LUNDBERG as they are now childless having buried five little ones. They have the sympathy of their friends in their sad affliction. [Batavia Herald, 13 September 1894]

Miss Gunhild RYGH, a former Batavia lady, died Aug. 11, at Fergus Falls, Minn., of typhoid fever, aged 19 years. [Batavia Herald, 13 September 1894]

Mr. S. H. GAMMON, brother of the late E. H. GAMMON, of this city, died in California, Tuesday, Sept. 18. [Batavia Herald, 20 September 1894]

DIED: - At his home in Geneva, Sunday Sept. 16th, of typhoid fever, Mr. J. E. PETERSON, aged 33 years. He was in the livery business in Geneva, leaves a wife and large circle of friends to mourn his departure. He was well known in this city. [Batavia Herald, 20 September 1894]

DIED: - Mrs. David HOWARD, at her home, South-west of the city, Friday, Sept. 21, 1894, after a lingering illness, aged 46 years and 6 months. The funeral took place Saturday afternoon and the remains laid to rest in the Sugar Grove cemetery. Deceased leaves a husband and four sons, besides near relatives, and friends to mourn her departure. [Batavia Herald, 27 September 1894]

Alice SCOTT died of dropsy, Tuesday morning, at six o'clock. She was a great sufferer. The remains were taken to Elgin for burial. She had only been at the Alms House 11 days. [Batavia Herald, 20 September 1894]

We are sorry to learn of the death of Editor DEWEY’s little daughter, aged 7 months, Sept. 25th, ’94. [Batavia Herald, 27 September 1894]

Aurora. III. Aug. 28 -- John F. Dewey, circuit clerk of Kane county, died to-day. He was born in Texas. Death was due to consumption.
[29 Aug 1899; The Rockford Daily Register Gazette - Submitted by a FOFG]

Sad Death of Miss Nellie EAGER.
Passes Away after a Brief Illness of 6 Days. – A Useful Life Suddenly Thrust from Health to the Grave.
A Home Made Desolate. – Family and Friends Thrown Into Deep Sorrow.
Nellie, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James EAGER, died, at her home on Wilson St., Tuesday evening, July 24, 1894, after a brief illness of malaria fever.
Deceased was born July 31, 1870, and had she lived just one week would have been 24 years of age. She was born, reared and educated in the neighborhood in which she passed her last moments, and that whole community is, to-day, bowed in grief o’er her loss, as she was, a general favorite, not only in her own home, but in the neighborhood, being of a sunny disposition, with a kind word for all, she had won the good will and love of the community.
Wednesday, July 18, she was suddenly stricken, from her usual good health, to a bed of extreme sickness, and was a great sufferer, for six days, when death relieved her.
She bore all with a Christian fortitude and patience, and when she realized she could not get well, made arrangements for death and burial, giving away her keepsakes to her loved relatives and friends, then bid them all good-bye and bravely awaited the arrival of the dread messenger.
Deceased had been a valued member of he Holy Cross Church, since early childhood, and a great worker in that society; was an honored and much beloved member of the E. B. C. Club, always doing her part to assist and advance all that was good and noble in society.
Her death seems doubly sad, as she was just at the right age to enjoy life, and had a bright future to look forward too. In her home, the blow is a heavy one, her parents having been greatly attached to her, especially her father, whose faithful book-keeper and efficient helper she had been, in his business, for the past seven years. Besides the large circle of friends and neighbors, she leaves three brothers, a sister and parents, to mourn her sad death. Funeral will be held at the Holy Cross church, Friday, at 2 p.m. [Batavia Herald, 26 July 1894]

The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. PRINCELL, died, Sunday, July 22, 1894. [Batavia Herald, 26 July 1894]

Death Of Former Bataviaite.
The Kendall County Record says Mrs. Frank E. FOSTER, son of S. E. and E. S. FOSTER of Millington, Ill., was born in Batavia, Kane County, Ill., September 1, 1861; and died at Los Angeles, Cal., Sunday, June 24, 1894, after a prolonged illness.
Deceased, at the age of three years, moved with his parents to Geneva, Ill. In 1871, when a boy of 10 years, he moved with his parents to Millington, where he remained till the spring of 1883, when he went to Arizona. In August 21, 1889, married Ada M. TAYLOR, of this vicinity. Soon after their marriage Frank and Ada FOSTER went to Flagstaff, Arizona, where, for a time, was engaged in business. Two children were born to them at this place. In 1892 they moved to Los Angeles, Cal., where they remained till Mr. FOSTER’s death.
[Batavia Herald, 26 July 1894]

Despondency Drove Him to Death.
Henry SCHNESKER, and Inmate of the Alms House, ends his Life, by the Rope.
It is not often that any tragedy occurs at the Kane Co. Alms House, therefore it was quite a surprise to learn that Henry SCHNESKER, had taken his own life, Thursday morning, June 28. As the unfortunate was not insane, and had shown no acts of violence, during the several months of his residence there, he was allowed the liberty of walking about the surrounding grounds, as he had done many times in the past. But the recent loss of all his property which he had earned by hard labor, and being divorced from his wife, - seemed to be a heavier burden than he bear up under, and while in a fit of despondency he slid out in the adjoining orchard – placed a rope around his neck and leaped into eternity.
The coroner's jury rendered a verdict in accordance with the above facts and exonerated the superintendent and attendants from any neglect in the case of the inmate. Deceased was about 71 years of age and came here from Elgin. [Batavia Herald, 5 July 1894]
Seeks Death in the Orchard.
Miss Alice ROE, Thursday morning, about 8 o'clock, heard crows in the orchard, and thinking they were at the turkeys, went to see. She saw a man standing by a tree and as she closer, he did not move. She became frightened and went for her sister. On their return they discovered that he was hanging to the limb of an apple tree, with a new rope. As the orchard adjoins the County House, they surmised it an inmate and quickly carried the news. As Mr. Keyes had gone to Batavia, Mrs. Keyes identified him as one Henry SCHNESKER, a German 71 years of age, who became an inmate the 28 of April 1893. A messenger was dispatched for Mr. Keyes. Frank JONES and H. N. JONES accompanied him to the scene. The body was taken down and Coroner PUTNAM summoned. On the arrival of the Coroner, a jury was impaneled, consisting of Dr. AUGUSTINE, Mr. JUDD, Mr. OWENS, George BOOTH, John GIBSON and John UMBERLINSTOCK. The jury returned a verdict of Death by his own hand. Among his papers was a divorce from his wife. He had told she was a Catholic and he a Presbyterian and they could not agree. He read a great deal and took a German Tri-weekly Paper and the last time seen alive was reading, the night before. He visited Marengo, last April, to collect a $70 note he had. On his return he said he could not even get the interest. The rope with which he done the deed, was purchased by himself.
[Batavia Herald, 5 July 1894]

Oldest Citizen of Aurora Dead.
Hiram BRISTOL, died at his home, No. 235 Main Street, Aurora, Sat. June 30, aged 94 years. Mr. BRISTOL was born in Salem, N. Y., March 22, 1800. In 1842 he came west settling near Naperville, on a farm, which occupation he followed until about twenty years ago, when he removed to Aurora. [Batavia Herald, 5 July 1894]

DIED: - At his home in Batavia, Wednesday, July 4th, 1894, Mr. John HANSON, aged about 35 years - after a brief illness of one week. He leaves a wife and family of children. The funeral will be held Friday, July 6th. [Batavia Herald, 5 July 1894]

Funeral of John HANSON
The funeral of Mr. John HANSON occurred at the Swedish Methodist church, Friday, July 6, 1894, conducted by I. Anderson and Rev. J. D. Leek. Rock City Lodge, I. O. O. F., of which deceased was a member, attended in a body, and paid their respects to the departed brother.
Mr. HANSON was born in Sweden, was 40 years of age, and had made his home in Batavia for over 20 years. He leaves a wife, four children, parents, brothers and sisters to mourn his death. He carried a $1,000 insurance policy in the Independent Order of Foresters, of Batavia. Interment took place in West Side cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 12 July 1894]

DIED: - At her home in Batavia, Sunday, July 1st, 1894, aged 59 years, Mrs. Rosette HELMS. Funeral services were held, Tuesday, at the A. M. E. church conducted by the Elders Hall and Thomas and the remains were interred in the East Side cemetery. Deceased leaves three children and a circle of friends to mourn her loss. [Batavia Herald, 5 July 1894]

Richard CARL died, Monday eve., of consumption. Deceased was 53 years of age, and a resident of Elgin. [Batavia Herald, 12 July 1894]

James McGRUDER died at the Alms House, July 20th. All that was mortal of “Negro Jim” was placed in a beautiful casket and taken to Elburn. Five of Elburn’s most prominent citizens accompanied the body to its final resting place.
[Batavia Herald, 26 July 1894]

Mr. ANDERSON died at his home on the West Side, Sunday p.m. June 10, 1894, after a brief illness of pneumonia, aged 34 years. The funeral was held at the house Tuesday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 14 June 1894]

Meets Death Under the Wheels.
Freddie PLATT-BILLINGS, While on His Way Home, From Aurora, Saturday, June 9.
He Falls From A Moving Freight, At Mill Creek Bridge, - Has His Skull Crushed and Dies Instantly.
Another shocking accident occurs to a Batavia boy. Freddie PLATT-BILLINGS, adopted son of Mr. and Mrs. W. T. PLATT, is the unfortunate. While on his way home from Aurora, Saturday afternoon, June 9, Freddie fell from a moving freight, on the N. W. R. R., at Mill Creek Bridge, had his skull crushed, and died instantly. His body was found by a fishing party, taken to Aurora, where he was identified, his Foster parents notified, in this city, at 8 o'clock in the evening, and an inquest was held. His body was tenderly cared for, by Mr. PLATT, who had his remains placed in a vault in St. Charles, to await a decision to where the unfortunate shall be buried. Freddie PLATT-BILLINGS would have been 18 years of age, had he lived until August, 1894. When a child of 23 months, he was taken by his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. PLATT, of this city, who have tenderly cared for him all these many year, through a many long siege of illness, as Freddie has always been in poor health. He was much devoted to his Foster parents, being a good, kind and obedient son to them, in return. Mr. and Mrs. PLATT feel the affliction very keenly, and deeply mourn his untimely death. They have the sympathy of their friends, in this sad bereavement.
[Batavia Herald, 14 June 1894]

J. H. COLLINS takes His own Life.
The death of James H. COLLINS, which occurred Tuesday night, in Aurora, was a surprise to all. The young man was a son of Captain Collins, and a nephew of the late Judge Collins, of national reputation. James had been disappointed in securing a position as civil engineer which he had expected to occupy in British Columbia, owing to the project not materializing, and in a fit of despondency, he ended his existence. The young man was honorable and upright, and had parents and friends who would have willingly aided him and cheered him had he confided in them. [Batavia Herald, 14 June 1894]

The death of Miss Alice Urch, daughter of John Urch, of Irvington township, Ia., occurred at her home, Friday, April 20, 1894, and funeral was very largely attended from the Baptist church, Sunday afternoon, the bearers being young men of the Baptist Young People’s Union, and Rev. Dorward preaching the sermon. Miss Urch was a very highly respected young lady, and a school teacher, Deceased was born in Batavia, Ill., May 24, 1873, hence would have been 21 years of age in May. She was baptized into the Baptist church, of Batavia, in the spring of 1887, and united , by letter, with the Algona, Iowa, Baptist church, Feb. 4, 1893. Since the fall of 1892, she has been teaching school in the district surrounding her father’s home. Last January she was taken sick with tubercular consumption and died April 20, 1894.
The deceased was a quiet, but very resolute person. Her life was short, but beautiful and pure. She leaves a father and mother, two brothers and two sisters and a large number of relatives to mourn her loss. But they mourn not as those without hope. The relatives of the deceased desire to thank their neighbors and many friends for their unsparing kindness in this sad hour of life. [Batavia Herald, 3 May, 1894]

DIED: - Miss Christine ANDERSON, Wednesday, April 25, 1894, at Augustana Hospital, Chicago, where she had undergone a surgical operation, having a tumor removed from her neck, only surviving the shock for a few days. She was 26 years of age.
[Batavia Herald, 3 May, 1894]

Death of Rev. VAN ARSDALE
Rev. Martin VAN ARSDALE, of Chicago, founder of the children's Home Society, died, Thursday, May 10. Mr. VAN ARSDALE was well known in Aurora and Batavia, being a frequent visitor at the Delius orphanage, taking children to and from that institution. He delivered an address before the supervisor's convention recently in session at Aurora. He was a great worker and a big hearted and talented gentleman. [Batavia Herald, 17 May, 1894]

Death of former Batavia Resident.
Miss Nancy S. BROWN, an old-time resident of Batavia, died, at the home of Daniel HALLADAY, at Santana, Calif., May 9, 1894, aged 80 years. She was the aunt of Geo. H. SPOONER, of this city.
[Batavia Herald, 17 May, 1894]

DIED: - Fred BENSON, at his home on the West Side, Thursday, May 10th, 1894, after seven months illness from consumption, aged 27 years. Deceased was a former employee at the Paper Bag Factory. He leaves a wife and one child. The funeral took place from the home, Saturday, p.m., Rev. A. Challman officiating. [Batavia Herald, 17 May, 1894]

Wm. T. ELLIOTT, an old and highly respected citizen of Aurora, died at his home in that city, Tuesday, aged 84 years. Mr. Elliott was the second man that settled in that vicinity of Aurora, also his marriage was the first one solemnized in Kane Co. The funeral will take place Friday.
[Batavia Herald, 17 May, 1894]

Aug. NELSON Commits Suicide.
August NELSON, an employee of Mr. F. A. Crittendon, living near Geneva, committed suicide sometime Saturday night by shooting himself through the brain. He was found Sunday morning by Mr. C. stretched on the floor in the barn, wrapped in a horse blanket, and a Smith & Wesson 32 caliber revolver clasped in his hand and had evidently been dead for some time. An inquest was held, and a verdict rendered of suicide during temporary insanity. It is thought that poor health and the worry over a disappointment in a love affair cause him to commit the rash act. [Batavia Herald, 31 May, 1894]

DIED: - At the Kane Co. Alms House, Tuesday, May 29, Thressa HIDYEAR. The remains were taken to Wis. For burial. [Batavia Herald, 31 May, 1894]

Mr. and Mrs. E. W. MCCULLOUGH, went to Chicago Friday, to attend the funeral of Mr. McCullough’s father. [Batavia Herald, 31 May, 1894]

It is with sorrow and profound regret, that we learn of the sad death of Rev. Henry LEA, the able pastor of the Plano M. E. Church. A notable Christian worker has gone to his Heavenly reward, but the community, church, and his family and friends, have sustained a great loss.
[Batavia Herald, 24 May, 1894]
A Grand Noble Man Gone.
One of the Best Known and Most Able Pastors in the Big Rock Conference Dies of Blood Poisoning.
Rev. Henry LEA Is At Rest.
Many in Batavia, especially of the M. E. Society, were acquainted with Rev. Henry LEA, whose untimely death we announced in the Herald, last week..
His beautiful and exemplary life was deserving of more than a passing notice. No one who ever knew Henry LEA can soon forget him. His bright, winning ways impressed everyone he came into contact with. To know him, was to love him.
The announcement of his sad demise was a great and painful surprise to his host of outside friends. We looked upon him, as one destined to a long career as a minister of Christ and a public benefactor. He was a perfect specimen of manhood, of magnificent physique and beautiful and noble features; an educated and cultured gentleman, and in addition to many other talent, possessed a fine musical voice.
He was indeed a God-Father. Kind and thoughtful to the humble and oppressed. He was a warm-hearted and affectionate friend. As a worker, he was a phenomenal. He could turn off more work and do it with more ease and grace than any minister we ever met.
In asocial way, Harry LEA had few equals. He was of a sunny, happy disposition. Always met you with a pleasant smile and a warm cordial greeting. At any social gathering he was either conversing or singing. He never found an idle moment. In his short and active life he accomplished as much as many who live three score years and ten.
Friday, May 25, funeral services were held at Plano M. E. Church and were attended by multitudes of mourning friends, services being carried out according to the request of the departed. And all that was mortal of Henry LEA was laid at rest in Plano Cemetery.
Death was caused by blood poisoning following the grip. On Sunday, April 22, Mr. LEA , though somewhat ill, conducted morning service at his church. Returning home, he retired to his bed and after resting sent word to his church to go through the preliminary service and he would come over and preach. He essayed to preach, but after speaking a few minutes he was faint and finished his sermon sitting in a chair. He was not out again, and from that time it had been a fight for life.
Henry LEA, or Harry, as he was better known, was born at Caine, county of Wilts, England, Dec. 26, 1853. He came with his father’s family to Elgin, Ill., in June 1870.
For eleven years he worked in the train room of the Elgin watch factory. While there, during the latter years, he was engaged in studying to fit himself for the work for which he had determined he would devote his life, and he acted as local preacher for the M. E. church.
Leaving the shop in 1871, he was a probationer for three years, was admitted to full connection with the Rock River conference in 1884, and in 1886, was ordained an elder. He was assigned as preacher first to Dundee, where he remained three years; next to Palatine, three years; Woodstock two years, Rockford, two years, and had been in Plano two and one-half years.
He was an indefatigable worker, combining the qualities of a speaker with those of a singer, and his services in revivals were greatly in demand. He was engaged in such work nearly all last winter, at Plano and other places, and no doubt overtaxed his strength.
He leaves a wife and three little children; also his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin LEA, six brothers, John of Leadville, Colorado; David of Silver Creek, Neb.; Eben, Will and Sam and Arthur of Elgin, and two sisters, Fannie and Emily of Elgin.
[Batavia Herald, 31 May, 1894]

Back to the Main Index Page for Kane County

©2006 K. Torp (all formatting)