Welcome to this Illinois Genealogy Trails History Group Website


Many thanks to Gary King for allowing us to post these obituaries.

Death of Mrs. E. B. WURTZ
Elizabeth Barbara WURTZ was born March 5, 1834, in Hohenhaszlach, Wurtenburg, Germany, and died near Turner, Ill., April 1, 1894, aged 60 years.
March 27, 1857 she was married to Mr. Chris. WURTZ, which union was blessed with 9 children, 3 of whom have preceded the mother. She leaves a husband, 6 children, 5 grandchildren and many relatives and friends, to mourn her loss. The funeral took place Wednesday, at the house, from whence they proceeded to the Batavia Evangelical Church, where services were conducted in English and German language, by the Pastor Rev. Tinkbeiner, assisted by Rev. Pinckert. [Batavia Herald, 5 April, 1894]

Mr. and Mrs. John QUINN mourn the death of their infant twin boys. The interment took place Sunday, April 1st. [Batavia Herald, 5 April, 1894]

DIED: - Wednesday, April 11, at 2:30 p.m., at his home on Franklin St,. Mr. Samuel S. SCOTT, aged 79 years. The funeral will be held at the house Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, April 13. Obituary next week. [Batavia Herald, 12 April, 1894]
Death of Samuel S. SCOTT.
An Old and Respected Citizen Passes Away.
Samuel S. SCOTT departed from this life, Wednesday, April 11th, 1894, aged 79 years. He was born in Brookfield, Madison Co., New York, 1815; came to Illinois 29 years ago, and has been a resident of Batavia for 26 years, in which city he united with the Christian Church in 1877. Deceased was a sincere Christian, a kind and loving father and a good neighbor. He leaves a wife and six daughters, (four of this city, one in Denver and one in Elburn,) to mourn his loss. Funeral was held at the house, at 2 o'clock, Friday; Rev. R. E. Thomas, of the Christian church, officiating. A large number of friends and relatives, from out of the city, attended the funeral services. The remains were interred in the West Side cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 19 April, 1894]

Death of Captain J. GRIMES
An old and highly respected citizen
Capt. Jacob GRIMES died, Sunday morning, April 8th, 1894, aged 75 years. He was born Jan. 25th, 1819, at Linden, Genessee Co., N. Y. Came west to McHenry, Ill., in 1840, went from there to Naperville, Ill., and settled in Batavia in 1845, where he has since resided. His wife, who was Miss Lucy HOYT, of Buffalo, N. Y., preceded him to the better land sixteen years ago.
For a number of years deceased was engaged in the mercantile business, and at the opening of the rebellion, he raised a company in the 52nd Regt. Ill. Vol., and was elected Captain of the same. In 1871 he was stricken with paralysis and since that time has been an invalid. He was held in high esteem by his fellow men, and has held several important offices. At the time of his death was one of the oldest members of the Baptist church of this city.
Although formerly a Republican in politics, since 1876 he has been an uncompromising Democrat. He sold his old Homestead to his Nephew, Willis L. GRIMES, about eleven years ago when he went to live with his daughter, Mrs. G. W. LACKEY, where his death occurred.
Deceased leaves three children, a daughter and two sons, Mary G. LACKEY and Loomis H. GRIMES of this city and Wm. R. GRIMES, of Astor, Crawford Co., Iowa. The funeral took place from the residence of his daughter, Monday afternoon, Rev. Forward of the Baptist Church officiating.
[Batavia Herald, 12 April, 1894]

Mr. and Mrs. Antone BENSON mourn the death of their little son, Arthur BENSON, aged 8 years, who died April 6th, and was buried in the West Side Cemetery, Sunday, April 8th. [Batavia Herald, 12 April, 1894]

Death of Mrs. Phoebe A. YATES.
Mrs. Phoebe Ann YATES was born in Chemung Co., N.Y., Dec. 31st, 1818, and died in Batavia, Ill., April 16th, 1894, of cancer of the throat.
She was the mother of six children, only one of whom survives, Mrs. Louisa COOK, of Wenona, Ill., who tenderly cared for her during her last illness.
Mrs. YATES has been a resident of Batavia for about 40 years, and a member of the Christian church more than 20 years. Her suffering was intense, but she bore it patiently in the hope of a blessed immortality. The funeral was held at the Christian church, Wednesday, at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. R. E. Thomas. The remains were laid to rest in the East Side cemetery.
Mrs. COOK desires to thank the neighbors and friends for their sympathy and assistance during her mother's illness.
[Batavia Herald, 19 April, 1894]

The remains of Ida NORCROSS, the Negress who created a sensation at the Hotel Bishop, in Aurora, recently, by shooting at the colored porter and missing him, and then firing a bullet into her own breast, were buried in the East Side Cemetery, Tuesday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 26 April, 1894]

The little son of John ELF, was burned to death, at St. Charles, by playing in a bon-fire. [Batavia Herald, 26 April, 1894]

Rev. Father Rathz was called to Elburn last week to conduct the funeral services of Patrick SEELLEY, who died Tuesday, April 24. The interment took place April 26, at Elburn Catholic Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 26 April, 1894]

Death of an Old Resident.
Mr. Thomas GARRITY, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John LALLEY, on the East side, Thursday morning, Feb. 22d, 1894, of Brights disease, aged 70 years. Deceased had been in poor health for the past two years, but was only confined to his bead about two weeks when death released him from his suffering.
Mr. GARRITY came from Ireland and settled in Batavia when quite a young man; being one of the early residents of this city and was a kind and gentle man who had many friends in our city who, with his two daughters, Mrs. J. LALLEY, of Batavia, and Miss Mamie GARRITY, of Chicago, are left to mourn his death. Deceased had been a faithful member of the Catholic society for a great many years. The funeral took place Friday at 1 p.m. at the Catholic church, conducted by Rev. Father Rathz. The remains were laid to rest in the Aurora cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 1 March, 1894]

Death of Mrs. S. M. MORRILL.
Mrs. S. M. MORRILL, a former resident of this vicinity, died at her home in Elburn, Monday evening, Feb. 5, 1894, after a ten day illness of stomach trouble. Miss Emily S. STEARNS was born in Ellisburg, Jefferson Co., N.Y., in March 1827, and came to Ill., with her parents and settled on a farm near Batavia where her girlhood days were spent, and after finishing her education she was a successful teacher in this vicinity for a number of years.
About 40 years ago she married S. M. MORRILL, and to this union were born five children, three sons and two daughters, all of whom were present at her death but for one daughter, who lives in Calif. Deceased was a sister of Miss F. V. STEARNS and Mrs. E. C. HYDE, of this city, and was a highly respected lady, and a great church worker. The funeral was held at the Baptist church, of which she was a valued member, Wednesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Brush, of Iowa, an old friend of the deceased. The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful. Several from Batavia attended the funeral.
[Batavia Herald, 15 March, 1894]

Died, Tuesday, March 13, the little infant child of Mr. and Mrs. O. WILLIAMS. [Batavia Herald, 15 March, 1894]

Peter HANNON Kills Himself
Peter HANNON, an old resident of St. Charles, took paris green early Saturday morning, and died just before noon, at his home. [Batavia Herald, 15 March, 1894]

DIED: - Thursday morning, Mch. 22d, 1894, Lewis, little son of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. CROTTY, aged 2 years and 4 months. The little child had been a great sufferer from birth. Burial will take place in the East side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 22 March, 1894]

Death of a Former Resident.
John LONERGAN, one of the pioneers of Chicago, who was identified with several of the earliest improvements of the West, died last week, at the home of his son-in-law, Joseph HOGAN, 519 West Monroe St., Chicago. His death, while directly attributed to a light stroke of paralysis sustained recently, came as the result of a long and active life reaching beyond the years usually allotted to man.
Deceased was a native of County Tipperary, Ireland, and was born April 1st, 1807. At the age of 16 he came to this country with his parents. A brief stay was made in N. Y. city, and the family then moved to Pittsburg, and Mr. LONERGAN, with three of his brothers, engaged as contractors in the construction of the Erie Canal. They were among the most successful of the contractors thus engaged, and upon the completion of their work they turned their attention to railroad building, a business in its infancy. Extensive contracts were secured by them on the first railroad extending west of the Alleghany Mountains, a branch of the Pennsylvania system, and in connection with this they constructed the Grant Street tunnel in Pittsburg.
In 1838, he married Miss Agnes MURPHY, in Pittsburg, and then came to Chicago, at that period the state had in contemplation the Ill. and Mich. Canal, and Mr. LONERGAN was one of the first to file a bid for it construction. He was awarded two sections of the work between Lemont and Lockport, but before he completed his work the state abandoned the improvement for lack of funds. In 1847 he moved to Batavia, where he engaged in farming, and after a residence of 27 years here he returned to Chicago. His wife died in 1886. [Batavia Herald, 29 March, 1894]

Fred NEWCOMB was called to Hamilton, Iowa, Sunday, by telegram, announcing the death of his father. [Batavia Herald, 29 March, 1894]

DIED: - At the residence of her brother, Mr. A. A. WILMARTH, in Aurora, Friday, Jan. 26, 1894, Mrs. Emma WILMARTH WELLS, after a lingering illness, of consumption. Mrs. WELLS was formerly a resident of this city, and much beloved by all who knew her. She leaves a little daughter ten years of age to mourn a mothers loss. The funeral took place from the home of her brother, at 275 Spring street, Aurora, Sunday, at 12:30 and the remains were brought to Batavia and interred in the West Sid Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 1 February, 1894]

Death of Mrs. Harvey MCNAIR.
Just as we go to press, Thursday morning, we learn the death of Mrs. Harvey MCNAIR, who has been suffering for some time, with lung trouble. She passed away Thursday morning. Obituary next week.
[Batavia Herald, 1 February, 1894]
At her home, just east of Batavia, after a lingering illness, Thursday morning, Feb. 1st, 1894, the spirit of Mrs. Harvey MCNAIR, wife of the West Side druggist, left its earthly abode for a home with its maker.
Deceased was a Christian lady of sterling qualities, whose Christianity was ever a part of her daily life. In all the years of her illness, her faith never faltered., and when the “Bridegroom” came, he found her with her lamp trimmed and burning. She ever had a kind encouraging word for all.
She had long been a suffered from that dread foe of humanity, consumption, but had only been confined to her bed about three weeks; having had two previous attacks of hemorrhage of the lungs.
She passed quietly and peacefully away.
Mary Acres was born in Mina, New York, in November 1836, and came to Ill. when about three years of age, and at her death had reached the 58 milestone in the journey of life. The funeral took place at the first M.E. Church, Saturday at 10:30 a.m., Rev. J. D. Leek conducting the services, and gave a beautiful sermon from the following text: “And ye now therefore have sorrow, but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice and your joy no man taketh from you.” After the sermon the friends accompanied the remains to the beautiful cemetery south of the village of Elburn. Deceased leaves a husband, son and many relatives and friends to mourn her loss. [Batavia Herald, 8 February, 1894]

Mrs. Chas. ANNING, wife of one of the veteran merchants of Aurora, died, at her home, Sunday, Feb. 11th, 1894, aged 60 years. She had resided in Aurora since 1870 and was an estimable lady. [Batavia Herald, 15 February, 1894]

Death of Z. SQUIRES.
Mr. Zachariah SQUIRES died Feb. 8 at his home in Aurora, after a lingering illness, aged 86 years and 8 months. He was an uncle of Lawyer C. H. MORE, of this city, who attended the funeral, Saturday.
Mr. SQUIRES was born in Virgil, Cortland Co., N. Y., and was brought up at farming in his eastern home. He came west in 1847 locating on a farm in Big Rock, this county. In 1855 he located in Aurora, entering the lumber firm of Hackney & Gardner and has lived there ever since. Funeral was held at the house, No. 365 Lincoln Avenue, Saturday afternoon, at 1:30 o'clock. [Batavia Herald, 15 February, 1894]

Peter DAVIDSON, a former resident of this city, died at his home, near Sycamore, Friday, Feb. 9, 1894, aged 67 years. He leaves a wife and three children. [Batavia Herald, 15 February, 1894]

Andrew LIND, who was a former resident of this city, and was an expert horse-shoer, died at his home in Geneva, Wednesday, from injuries received whole shoeing a horse. [Batavia Herald, 22 February, 1894]

DIED: - Thursday morning, Feb. 22, at his home on the West Side, of scarlet fever, L. Gotfrid EKLUND, aged 4 years. Deceased is a son of Rev. Alfred EKLUND, the Swedish Baptist minister.
[Batavia Herald, 22 February, 1894]

Leo MANN, aged 17 years, died at Elgin, Thursday, Dec. 28. The remains were brought to Batavia, for burial, Saturday. He was a relative of Eugene MANN, of this city. [Batavia Herald, 4 January, 1894]

Died: - The 3-year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. KUGN, living three miles east of Batavia, died of diphtheria, Monday, Dec. 25, 1893. The funeral took place Tuesday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 4 January, 1894]

DIED: - Mrs. P. L. HANSCOM, at her home in Oak Park, Sunday, Jan. 14, from serious injuries received in a street car accident. Deceased was a cousin of Mrs. W. J. HOLLISTER, of this city.
[Batavia Herald, 18 January, 1894]

Mrs. B. KINDBLADE Passes Away.
One of Kane Co’s. Early Settlers.
One by one the early settlers of Batavia, are passing away. On Wednesday morning, at 2:17, Jan. 17th, 1894, the spirit of Mrs. Bennett KINDBLADE, departed from this life, after extreme suffering for 16 days, with heart difficulty, - aged 78 years and eight months.
Sharlet HOLMBERG was born in the city of Sonn, Sweden, May 21, 1815. She was married to Bennett KINDBLADE in 1846. To this union was born one son, John, who resides in this city.
Mr. and Mrs. KINDBLADE were among our early settlers, - sailing across the deep waters and coming to Kane Co. and settling on the Fox River in Oct. 8th, 1853, and have been residents of Geneva for 20 years and Batavia 21 years. Deceased was of a quiet, retired disposition and a good, kind wife and mother. The funeral is private, and will be held Friday afternoon. The remains will be interred in West side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 18 January, 1894]

Death of Miss Almira KNAPP.
Miss Almira F. KNAPP, sister of Mrs. James A. ALLEN, died at the home of Mrs. Allen, on the West Side, Wednesday morning, Jan. 17, 1894, after a brief illness with rheumatism of the heart. Deceased had been a resident of Batavia for about twenty years, and her life been spared until the 31st of this month, would have been 63 years of age. She had been a sufferer of rheumatism, for many years, but her demise was sudden. A large circle of friends, besides relatives mourn her death. Funeral 3:30, Friday. Interment West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 18 January, 1894]

DIED: - Mrs. James H. SMALL, died, at her home on the John Griffith farm, two miles southeast of Batavia, Thursday, Jan. 11th, 1894, at 3 o'clock a.m., after two days illness with pneumonia. Mrs. SMALL was formerly Miss Ella GLOVER, and was highly respected and much beloved by her many fiends both in this city and Aurora; besides her husband she leaves four young children to mourn the loss of a mothers love and watchful care. The funeral was held in Aurora, Saturday morning and the remains were laid to rest beside her parents in Aurora Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 18 January, 1894]

Death Releases Chas. CLAPP, From A Crazed and Shattered Brain
At last, death released a poor victim from a crazed and shattered condition.
A few months ago, Chas. CLAPP, while in a fit of despondency, brought on by continuous dissipation, fired a bullet in his own head. For days he lay between life and death, but finally gained strength and was upon his feet again, but with a bullet in his head a clouded brain, which necessitated him being placed in the Insane Asylum. Afterwards he was transferred to the Kane Co. Alms House, where he remained up to his death, which occurred Tuesday, Jan. 16, 1894. Deceased was about 35 years of age. In youth he was a bright, promising boy. After maturity, he became a skillful mechanic, but dissipation pulled him down and brought him to this deplorable ending. He leaves a widowed mother, who has been a good kind parent to him, and is deserving of much sympathy for the extreme grief and trials that have been brought upon her. Private funeral was held Thursday afternoon, and the remains were interred in the West Side cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 18 January, 1894]

Fish Warden SICKLER Dead.
O. D. SICKLER, of Geneva, died at Jacksonville, Florida, Jan. 11th, of Consumption of the stomach. The remains were brought to Geneva, and the funeral was held Sunday, Jan. 14, and the remains with those of his son, who had passed away a year ago, were sent to Wis. for burial; Smith & Crane having charge. [Batavia Herald, 18 January, 1894]

Allen W. STOLP, died at his home in Aurora, Jan. 19, 1894, of pneumonia, aged 52 years. He was born in the city of Aurora, and was well known in the vicinity. [Batavia Herald, 25 January, 1894]

Another Old Resident Gone.
J. E. DORR Passes Away After An Illness of Seven Months.
Mr. J. E. DORR, died at his home in this city, Sunday, January 21st, 1894, at 9 o'clock a.m., after an illness of seven months, aged 63 years. Deceased was born in New York City, Jan. 17th, 1831, and married Miss Uretta WEBB of that city, Nov. 23d, 1852. In 1857 they came west and settled at Blackberry, and from there moved to St. Charles, after which he spent several years in Kentucky, coming to Batavia in 1861, where he has made his home for the past 33 years.
He was an Ornamental painter and House decorator by trade; having followed this business from some years in the East with his father, and since his residence here has continued in his chosen profession, and it was while completing some work last June, that he fell from a ladder and sustained injuries which eventually caused his death; having been confined to his home ever since, and a greater part of it to his bed.
Deceased was a very intelligent gentleman and a great reader, and has many warm friends with whom he has associated these many years; was a follower of the Swedish Borgian faith, and lived an honest and upright life. Besides the wife, five children are left to mourn a father's death. The funeral took place from the home Wednesday afternoon, the services being conducted by Rev. J. E. Bissell.
[Batavia Herald, 25 January, 1894]

DIED: - Little son of Mr. and Mrs. PIERCESON, Saturday, Jan. 20th, 1894, aged 3 years. The funeral was held, Tuesday, at the residence of Mrs. E. C. Newton, conducted by Rev. J. D. Leek. Remains were interred in West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 25 January, 1894]

DIED: - Jan. 15th, 1894, at her home in Hubbard, Iowa, Mrs. Francis C. GIBBS, after a long and painful illness. Mrs. GIBBS was a former resident of Batavia, and leaves one son, two brothers and four sisters; being the second to go of a family of eight. [Batavia Herald, 25 January, 1894]

DIED: - At Elgin, Nov. 29, 1893, Horace ROSENKRANS, aged 83. He has been a resident of Kane Co. for 58 years. [Batavia Herald, 7 Dec. 1893

DIED: - Mrs. Pat MONAHON, died at her home on the East Side, Monday, Dec. 4th, 1893, at 5 p.m., after an illness of nearly six months, from heart disease, aged about 50 years. Deceased has been a resident of Batavia for a number of years, was a faithful member of the Catholic church and leaves many friends besides her husband and six children to mourn her death. The funeral took place from the church Wednesday at 2 p.m., Rev. Father Rathz officiating. The remains were interred in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 7 Dec. 1893

DIED: - At her home in this city, Tuesday, Dec. 12, 1893, of consumption, Mrs. J. O. JOHNSON, aged 31 years. The funeral was held Wednesday. [Batavia Herald, 14 Dec. 1893

Death of Mrs. A. B. SWANSON.
Died, Mrs. Anna B. SWANSON, at her home, Union Street, West Batavia, Friday, Dec. 8th, after a brief illness of pneumonia. On June 30th, 1883 she was united in marriage to Mr. Nels SWANSON. To this union was born 4 children, one of whom has preceded the mother in death.
The funeral was held at the house, Sunday, and the congregation afterwards repaired to the Swedish Lutheran church, where the sermon was delivered by Rev. A. Challman. The church was well filled, and the beautiful floral emblems testified to the love and esteem held for the departed. The remains were interred in the west side cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 14 Dec. 1893

Demise of Mrs. J. JOSLYN, Jr.
A Young Wife and Mother Taken from he Earthly Home, - which is Thrown in Deep Sorrow.
Martha M. KENYON was born in Batavia, Ill., Dec. 8th, 1866, where she lived, excepting about 3 years, until her decease, Dec. 6th, 1893. She graduated from the East Batavia public school at the age of 16, in which she taught acceptably for two years, after her graduation. Sept. 23, 1885, she was united in marriage with John JOSLYN, Jr. Their union was blest with a bright boy, now 2½ years old. On Jan. 3, 1890, they obeyed their Lord in Baptism.
After many months of suffering, she quietly passed away, at the home of her parents, having been confined to her bed only a few days. She retained consciousness to the last, and being aware that the end was at hand, she yielded to death in the full assurance of the gospel of Christ. Her care for her loved ones was touching and her Christ-like spirit was noticeable by all who ministered to her wants.
The funeral services were held at the Christian church, conducted by Rev. R. E. Thomas, Friday, Dec. 8th, in the presence of a large and sympathizing audience. Relatives and friends were present from Aurora and Harvey. The Alumni Association attended in a body and gave appropriate and beautiful floral offerings. After the services the remains were laid to rest in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 14 Dec. 1893

Death of Edward MCFARREN. -- Husband and Father Released From Long Suffering.
Died, at his home, four miles east of Batavia, Sunday, Dec. 10, 1893, Edward MCFARREN, aged 44 years, of consumption. For over a year Mr. MCFARREN has been in very poor health, although he has kept around most of the time, and was a frequent and welcome visitor to Batavia. Inch by inch that dreaded disease kept creeping up on him, and about 10 days ago he was confined to his bed, and death released him from his suffering, Sunday night. Deceased was born, in New York, in 1849. He came to Batavia in 1876, and has resided in this vicinity ever since and followed the occupation of farming. In 1871 he was untied to Miss Sarah Warne. To this union were born three sons, who are left with the widowed mother, to mourn the loss of a good kind husband and father.
Edward MCFARREN was an honorable, kind-hearted and genial gentleman, and was esteemed by all who knew him. He was a good neighbor and true friend; made a brave fight with the battles of the world, but had been overtaken with many hardships and misfortunes, in his life. The funeral was held, Monday, at the Big Woods church, of which he was a faithful member, and was largely attended; the services being conducted by Rev. Paxton. The remains were interred in the Big Woods Cemetery. The sorrow stricken family have the heartfelt sympathy of their neighbors and friends in this, their hour of sore affliction. [Batavia Herald, 14 Dec. 1893

Sad Death of Caro. MCCLELLAN.
A Bright School Girl of 16 is Taken Away, after a Brief Illness with Pneumonia.
Only a few days ago, Miss Caroline McClellan, was among the bright and happy school girls of the West Side High School. To-day she sleeps in the silent tomb, where she was gently laid by trembling hands and sorrowing hearts. Friday, Dec. 1, Miss Caro. was taken down with that fatal disease, pneumonia, of both lungs. She was permitted to suffer but a few days, as God releases her from all earthly pain, after 7 days illness, Friday, Dec. 8th.
The departed was fully reconciled to death, and laid all her plans for her funeral, electing the hymns, “Lead Kindly Light,” (which was sang by Mr. Edward Burton.) The second hymn was “Abide With Me.”
Very impressive services were held at Calvary Church, Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. G. H. Barry, and was well attended by mourning friends. Many and beautiful were the floral offerings, from school-mates, and other friends. Deceased made a special request that the following named school mates should be the pall-bearers, and they acted as honorary pall-bearers. Richard Wolcott, Chas. Morris, Rob’t Shumway, Victor Peterson, Warren CarSkaden, Arthur Vandervolgen.
The remains were interred in the West Side Cemetery. Miss Caroline was daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. O. MCCLELLAN, was born July 4th, 1878. She was a bright and pleasant girl, and favorite among her young associates and much beloved by her family and friends. The deepest sympathy is expressed for the bereaved family. [Batavia Herald, 14 Dec. 1893

Demise of Mrs. Nelson WOLCOTT
An Aged and Highly Respected Citizen Passes Away at the Age of 83 Years.
Monday morning, Dec. 18, 1893, at 6 o'clock, the spirit of Mrs. Nelson WOLCOTT took to flight to the great beyond, after a long and useful life. Alvina WRIGHT was born in Midlebury, Wyoming Co., N. Y., March 27, 1809 and descended from English ancestry; was married to Nelson Wolcott, September 2, 1835, came to Illinois in 1856 with her husband, where the rest of her life has been spent. Soon after her arrival here, she united with the Congregational church, and has been a devoted and faithful member for over 30 years, doing the duties that lay in her path with a true Christian spirit and heroism; and was a very quiet and unassuming lady, was very devoted to her home, and family of eight children, six sons and two daughters, who are all grown to maturity, highly educated, refined and worthy citizens, which speaks volumes of the mother's home life and early training.
Sept. 2, 1893, their children and grandchildren gathered at the old home on Batavia Ave. and celebrated the 58th wedding anniversary of the aged parents and grand-parents, little thinking that their next reunion would take place in the world beyond.
Deceased has been in very good health for one of her years, up to about two weeks ago, when she, as well as her companion was taken ill, medical skill was at once obtained and all did for her that human power could furnish, but to no avail, after having been confined to her bed for eight days with pneumonia, she quietly passed away, aged 83 years and 9 months. She was not a great sufferer during her illness and remained conscious up to the last, and knew the children, four of whom were permitted to be with and care for her during her last sickness.
Her death seems doubly hard to her aged husband, who is now confined to his bed with illness, and is feared will be unable to overcome the blow, caused by the separation of one with whom he has spent nearly 59 years of his life.
The funeral was held from the home Tuesday at 2 p.m., Rev. J. E. Bissell officiating. The following children were permitted to be present at the funeral: Mrs. E. H. BAKER, Mr. H. K. WOLCOTT, Mr. S. A. WOLCOTT, and Mr. W. A. WOLCOTT, all of this city, Mrs. T. R. WILLARD, of Galesburg, and Mr. R. N. WOLCOTT, of Grand Rapids, Mich. The aged husband and children have the sympathy of their many friends in the hour of their sorrow.
[Batavia Herald, 21 Dec. 1893]

DIED: - Mr. Peter TURBLUM, at his home on the West Side, Friday evening, Dec. 15, 1893, after a brief illness from pneumonia, aged 44 years. The funeral took place Monday afternoon, at 2 o'clock, at the Swedish Lutheran Church, Rev. A. Challman officiating. Deceased leaves a wife and several children to mourn his departure. [Batavia Herald, 21 Dec. 1893]

Little Walter BEEBE goes to an Early Grave.
The Post says an inquest on little Walter BEEBE, of Aurora, was held. Deceased was ten years old. From the evidence before the Coroner’s Jury the cause of his death was shown to be accidental, but peculiar. He and another ten-year-old boy, a son of Harry BLACKMORE, were playing together in the street, near the house. The Beebe boy had a piece of an old crutch, which the BLACKMORE boy wanted to play with. They had a little scuffle, during which the former was struck on the arm with the crutch by the latter. It so happened that the BEEBE boy had been recently vaccinated and the blow in this particular case, so the doctor who attended him stated, that he continued to grow worse until death came to his relief. It is a remarkable case, but a very sad one. The inquest was held by the request of the father of the deceased. The verdict of the Coroner’s Jury was that the boy died from “blood poisoning, resulting from a blow on the arm, struck Oct 16, by a playmate, in a childish squabble, without any malicious intent.” [Batavia Herald, 2 November, 1893]

Wm. PATTERSON, well known in Batavia and Aurora, died at the hospital for the insane, at Elgin, Tuesday. He had been connected with the hospital for 11 years, and has always discharged his duties toward the patients faithfully and much beloved. [Batavia Herald, 2 Nov. 1893]

Lillie EICKSMAN Is Killed On Her 14th Birthday, by A Bullet Fired by Her Brother
The Fatal Results from Boys Being Allowed to Handle Fire Arms, and Read Dime Novels.
Another shocking accident clouds home of Batavia citizens. A bright little girl is shot down dead, by her own brother, while celebrating her 14th birthday. The extreme carelessness with fire arms, by a thoughtless brother, was the cause. After listening to the testimony of the Coroner’s jury, we glean the following facts:
Fred EICKSMAN, son of F. E. EICKSMAN, shipping clerk at the U. S. Factory, who lives on the East end of Wilson street, was out hunting, Monday, in company with a number of other boys. On their return, they all repaired to the EICKSMAN house. The parents were both gone and no one but the boys and girls at home. Young EICKSMAN had evidently been reading Dime Novels, felt romantic and smart, wanted to play “Buffalo Bill” and show of in general, so he commenced to search the house for revolvers, of which he found four. Then he flourished them around the house, pointing at various objects, and finally at his sister, Lillie, who warned him not to do so or she would tell her father, on his return. But the reckless boy continued in his carelessness, supposing, as he said, that the revolvers were not loaded, and as one was pointed directly at his sister's head, he pulled the trigger, and with a terrific sound, the fatal revolver sent a 38 ball piercing into the head of Lillie EICKSMAN. With a scream, she fell to the floor, never to rise again. The ball had lodged in the base of the brain and death soon followed. The brother leaped to his sister's side and seemed very much affected. He was afterwards taken into custody and held by the proper officers, until the inquest brought out the facts that looked as though the shooting was accidental.
The boy is 16 years of age, and certainly old enough to realize the great danger of pointing firearms at any one, and this horrible accident should be a lasting , as it is a most terrible lesson, and all parents, who have fire arms about their homes, should see that they are securely locked from the children.
Lillie EICKSMAN was a bright and pleasant little girl, admired by all who knew her, and her untimely and tragic death is mourned by many, who deeply sympathize with the afflicted family.
Coroner Putnam came up from Aurora, Tuesday afternoon, the inquest was held, and the jury returned a verdict, according to the above facts. The father, in giving his testimony, said that the brother Fred had saved his sister's life, about seven year's ago. While fishing near the dam, at Geneva, Lillie fell into the deep waters, and would have drowned had it not been for the timely assistance of her brother Fred, and yet she went to an early grave by his hands. It is a sad and peculiar case.
The funeral of the unfortunate girl was held at the German Lutheran church, Wednesday, at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. C. J. Frickl. The remains were interred in the East Side cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 9 Nov. 1893]

DIED: - Just as we go to press, we learn of the death of Rev. Geo. C. PARTRIDGE, after a brief illness. He was a former pastor of the Cong’l. church, of this city. [Batavia Herald, 2 Nov. 1893]

DIED: - The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Otto MOBERG, at their home on the East side, after a brief illness, Friday, Nov. 10, 1893. The funeral took place Saturday a.m., and the remains interred in the West Side cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 16 Nov. 1893]

The Elgin Advocate says Samuel BIDDLE, who resided on North State St., Elgin was taken to the county house in Batavia, a few days ago, died at the latter place Monday evening. He had been an invalid for several years – the result of internal injuries sustained from entering a hot furnace to clean it out. He left no children of his own, but his wife, who is at the county house has several. The funeral was held at Batavia. [Batavia Herald, 16 Nov. 1893]

An Aged Mother of Kane Co. Passes Away
Mrs. Robert THOMS, one of the veteran ladies of Kane Co. and mother of W. A. THOMS, of this city, died at her home in Elgin, Sunday evening. Nov. 19, 1893, aged 72 years. She leaves a husband and 11 children; among them being Rev. J. P. THOMS, pastor of Ashland Ave. Baptist church, Chicago, Rev. J. C. THOMS, of N. Y., Rev. C. S. THOMS, of Morris, Mrs. Rev. WHITTINGTON, of Chicago, and W. A. THOMS, of Batavia. Deceased has been a loving, kind and thoughtful mother; having been greatly blessed by being permitted to live to a ripe old age, and see her large family of children all grown, and honorable and upright citizens, among them are 3 ministers, and one the wife of a minister, thus proving the influence of a Christian and God loving mother. Her death is the first to break the home circle, and all are deeply grieved. Mr. and Mrs. W. A. THOMS were with her during her last illness. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

Many Homes in Mourning. -- Death of Miss Rosa Bell Massee A Promising Young Lady.
Rosa Bell MASSEE, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Russell L. MASSEE, died at her home near this city. Thursday, Nov. 16, 1893, at 5:20 p.m., aged 17 years, 8 months and 10 days. Deceased was born in the town of Blackberry, Kane County, March 6, 1876, and had spent her whole life in this vicinity. During her illness she was ever patient, and although young and with a promising life before her realized that God’s summons could not be turned aside and that she must go, and cheerfully gave up her hold on life and made preparations for her departure, and about 1 week before her death took her ring from her finger and placing it on her mother's, bade her wear it as long as she lived. The funeral took pace from the home Saturday afternoon, Rev. J. D. Leek conducting the services. The music being furnished by the M. E. Choir. The remains were interred in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

Death of Mrs. Isaac STODDARD.
After a lingering illness of several months, Mrs. Isaac STODDARD, died at her home, in West Batavia, Nov. 16th, aged 75 years.
Dinah, wife of Isaac STODDARD, was born, in England, in 1818. When a young lady, she came to this country, settling in Syracuse, N. Y., where she married Mr. Isaac STODDARD, in 1838, and they were permitted to enjoy the bonds of matrimony for 56 years, when the wife was taken away, and leaves the sorrow stricken husband entirely alone, as they have no children or near relatives. The aged and inform husband is to be pitied, to thus be left in sorrow and loneliness.
The funeral was held Friday, at the house, conducted by Rev. J. D. Leek, and the remains buried in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

DIED- - Asentha, the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel WARNE, died, at their home, three miles east of this city, Saturday, Nov. 18, 1893, of that dread disease, diphtheria, aged nearly five years. Owing to the nature of the disease, and the severe illness of their oldest daughter, Grace, no funeral services were held. The little one was tenderly laid away, Monday afternoon, after prayer and a few remarks at the grave. Mr. and Mrs. WARNE have recently moved into their beautiful new home, and now this terrible calamity has o’er taken them, to darken their happy home. As we go to press we learn that Gracie passed away about ten o'clock, Wed., and will be buried this (Thursday) afternoon. It is a very sad upon to part with both daughters in one short week. Gracie was a loving, bright, and interesting girl, aged nine years. The parents have our sympathy in the sorrow. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

DIED: - Cora M., the little six year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. KUHN, four miles east of Batavia, died Saturday, Nov. 18, 1893, after a brief illness of diphtheria. Interment took place Sunday afternoon; no funeral services being held, only at the grave, as every precaution was taken to prevent the spread of the disease. Ellen, another daughter, who has been seriously ill, is now improving. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

DIED: - Mr. H. DRESSELHANS, a retired and wealthy merchant, father of Mrs. L. C. ALBERDING, of this city, died, very suddenly, last Sunday morning, after a brief illness of ten days of enlargement of the heart, at his residence in Chicago. Funeral services were held Wednesday, Nov. 22. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

DIED: - In Chicago, Sunday, Nov. 19, 1893, Mr. Franklin SATTERLY, aged 72 years. He was a resident of Batavia about 20 years ago, and is well and favorably known by many of the old residents. Deceased was buried in the West Batavia Cemetery, Tuesday. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

DIED: - Infant son of Mr. and Mrs. John CARLSON, Sat., Nov. 18, 1893, at their home on the east side. The funeral took place Monday at 2 p.m., Rev. A. Challman officiating. The remains were interred in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

Mr. PROSSER, of San Francisco, who visited Mr. and Mrs. J. E. LUDLOW, and was seriously ill while here, was taken with a relapse, while stopping with friends in Ohio, recently, and died before reaching his home. [Batavia Herald, 23 Nov. 1893]

Mrs. Jane WHYTE, a resident of Kane Co for the past 53 years, died in Elgin, Sunday, Nov. 26, in her 100 year. She came to America from Scotland, in 1843, and has made her home in this county ever since. [Batavia Herald, 30 Nov. 1893]

DIED: - J. F. AVERILL, of DeKalb, Friday last, of the LaGrippe, aged 84 years. His remains were brought to Batavia and interred in the East Side Cemetery. He leaves five sons to mourn his loss, 3 in Nebraska, George of Waterman, and W. F. of this city. [Batavia Herald, 30 Nov. 1893]

DIED: - The little two year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gus TOLF, died at their home, in this city, Tuesday, Nov. 27, 893, of Scarlet fever. The remains were interred in the West Side Cemetery, Wednesday afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. TOLF have two other little ones very ill with the same disease, and it is sincerely hoped they may be spared. [Batavia Herald, 30 Nov. 1893]

An Elgin Man Murders his Wife.
Fred L. BUCK is Confined in the Jail at Geneva for the Horrible Crime
Fred L. BUCK, of Elgin, shot and killed his wife, at their home in that city, Saturday the 25th instant, while in a fit of jealous rage. A revolver was the weapon used to commit the deed, and three bullets pierces his victim; casing instant death. The murderer is the son of Isaac N. BUCK, who was Quartermaster of the 36th Illinois Volunteers, composed of Kane County soldiers, and the murderer has held the positions of State Game and Fish Warden for the last four years, also had charge of the government aquariums in the Fisheries Building at the World’s Fair. They had only been married three years; she being his second wife, he having a divorced one living. The murdered lady was a daughter of Mrs. Hannah SWAN, and was 34 years of age. BUCK is the first murderer confined in the Kane Co. jail for a number of years. States Attorney J. A. Russell has been engaged to defend him, and will probably plead insanity, but the real cause is said to be jealousy, as he had threatened his victim several times before. In 1854 John COLLINS was hung in Kane Co. for killing his wife; it being the first and only execution of the kind in this Co., and now we may witness another if this man gets his just deserts. [Batavia Herald, 30 Nov. 1893]

John B. DONOVAN, a former resident of Batavia, and stenographer at the U.S. Factory, died, in Chicago, Thursday, of complication of diseases. Mr. DONOVAN lived in this city about two years, and his many friends grieve to hear of his sad demise. [Batavia Herald, 5 Oct. 1893]

Mrs. F. E. MARLEY received the sad intelligence of the death of her uncle, Mr. S. C. LINCOLN, of Beloit, Wis., who was formerly postmaster in that city. Mr. R. O. Lincoln, of Plano and Mr. John Lincoln, of Corfu, N.Y., brothers of the deceased, attended the funeral Monday, and on their return, stopped off at Batavia and visited the Herald family. [Batavia Herald, 5 Oct. 1893]

He Formerly Published the Rock City Record, in Batavia
The Beacon says Samuel K. SHERMAN, editor of the Daily Republican of Ottumwa, Iowa, was fatally injured by being run over by an electric car Monday. He was riding a bicycle when a slip sent him under the wheels. SHERMAN formerly ran the Rock City Record, in Batavia and also published a paper, at Elburn, but as neither proved a paying venture Sherman went to Aurora and was employed in the Beacon and other offices. A little over a year ago SHERMAN bought the Ottumwa Republican, then a weekly paper, which he has since developed into a thriving daily. Sherman had many friends who deeply regret his sudden and tragic end. [Batavia Herald, 19 Oct. 1893]

Mr. H. S. Wells, one of the old and highly esteemed residents of Aurora, died, at his home in that city, Monday, Oct. 16, aged 78 years. For a number of years he has been a successful grocer and was known by many in Batavia.
[Batavia Herald, 19 Oct. 1893]

DIED – Of Typhoid Malaria, Thursday evening, Oct. 12th, at 6 o'clock, John JORDAN, son of Mrs. Mary JORDAN, aged 22 years. Funeral was held Saturday, in Colored Church, conducted by the Rev. A. T. Hall. Remains were interred in East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 19 Oct. 1893]

L. C. Crane and family returned Saturday evening from LaPorte, Ind., where they were called by the serious illness of Mr. C’s father, who passed away soon after their arrival. He was a gentleman of over 70 years of age and died of paralysis. [Batavia Herald, 19 Oct. 1893]

Mrs. H. F. Freeman, one of the older residents of Aurora, died, in that city, Thursday, Oct. 19, after a long illness. [Batavia Herald, 26 Oct. 1893]

DIED – Tuesday morning at 3 o'clock, Wm. HALEY, aged 65 years. Funeral was held at his home, East Batavia, this (Thursday) morning, conducted by the Rev. Father Spellman. Remains are to be interred in the Catholic Cemetery, Aurora. [Batavia Herald, 26 Oct. 1893]

Death of CAPT. L. T. HOWARD
Capt. L. T. HOWARD, one of Aurora’s oldest and best known citizens, died at his home in this city on Friday, Oct. 20th. He was about 70 years old, and a prominent and well known Odd Fellow. Just before his death a very costly and beautiful badge consisting of a gold star set with diamonds, with the figures “25” in the center came to his address, sent by the Sovereign Grand Lodge of Illinois in commemoration of his 25 years membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. – Beacon
[Batavia Herald, 26 Oct. 1893]

James H. WHITE, of Aurora, Manager of the Creamery of that city, and brother of the late F. O. WHITE, died, at his home, in that city, Thursday, Oct. 19, after a brief illness, aged 56 years. He was known and esteemed by many of Batavia. [Batavia Herald, 26 Oct. 1893]

The east bound passenger train, No. 6, on the C. & I. branch collided with a freight at Big Rock, Saturday morning. The front ends of the engines being reduced to scrap iron, and instantly killing Andrew FARR, Engineer of the passenger train, and although badly shaken up, none of the passengers were seriously injured. It is thought that accident was due to an open switch, but it has not yet been determined who is responsible for it. [Batavia Herald, 14 Sept. 1893]

Dr. M. M. MILES, and old and esteemed citizen of Aurora, died, at his home, Thursday, Sept. 7.
[Batavia Herald, 14 Sept. 1893]

John MICHOLSON and family attended the funeral of Mr. LINDHOME, Mrs. Micholson’s father, at Geneva. [Batavia Herald, 21 Sept. 1893]

Mr. John SATERFIELD, one of the best known and highly respected citizens of Kane County, died at his home near St. Charles, Sat., Sept. 23, from cancer of the liver, aged 65 years. He was at one time conductor on the C.B.&Q.R.R. The funeral took place Monday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 28 Sept. 1893]

Miss Maggie MCKEOWN, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. MCKEOWN, of this city, died at the Elgin Asylum, Saturday, Sept. 23, 1893, aged 38 years. Deceased was born in England, but had spent most of her life in Batavia, one year ago she became afflicted with the dread disease and was taken to Elgin for treatment. The remains were interred in DeKalb. [Batavia Herald, 28 Sept. 1893]

The 3-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Bela WARD, who resides on a far, a few miles northwest of Batavia , was drowned in a cistern, last Monday. [Batavia Herald, 3 August 1893]

Dr. L. R. BRIGHAM, one of the veteran physicians of Aurora, died, July 31, at Lake Geneva, where he had gone for the benefit of his health. Deceased was born in Madison, Lake County, Ohio, in 1819, and had practiced in Kane County since, since 1860, and was well and favorably known throughout this entire section. [Batavia Herald, 3 August 1893]

Death of Dr. Fred HUSE
Monday, Mr. J. P. PRINDLE received a telegram from Chicago, bearing the news of the death of Dr. Fred J. HUSE. His death occurred at one of the hospitals of the city, from typhoid fever, and the remains were placed in a vault, at Rose Hill Cemetery, where his parents are buried.
Deceased was 45 years of age, a former resident of Batavia, and son-in-law of the late E. H. GAMMON. He leaves one son, Charles Gammon HUSE, a young man of about 18 years of age, and his second wife survives him, who is at present in California. [Batavia Herald, 10 August 1893] [Many thanks to George Scheetz for his corrections of Dr. Huse's age and the date of the newspaper!!!]

The remains of Mr. Harvey RAWSON were brought from Yorkville by carriage, Monday, and interred in the East Side Cemetery. Deceased was a brother of Mrs. Wm. H. PRATT, and died at his home in Yorkville, of paralysis, aged over 80 years. [Batavia Herald, 27 July 1893]

Alfred WALKER, a colored man, 75 or 80 years of age, died suddenly, Saturday evening. He had been in his usual health during the day; being downtown until after 9 o'clock in the evening. Shortly after he returned home, he died, presumably of heart disease. The funeral was held from the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. H. SMITH, Sunday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 27 July 1893]

Mr. Alexander PARCE was born at Manlins, N. Y., Dec. 12, 1825, died at Batavia Ill., May 27, 1893. In 1850 he was united in marriage to Anna SUTTON, who died Nov. 18, 1862. Nov., 1864, he and Lucinda BROWN were united in marriage. His second companion was laid to rest July 18, 1882. Deceased was the father of two children. One is still living and was his fathers support during his last illness, which began last Sept. Previous to this he had been a sufferer from rheumatism for 12 years. He obeyed the Gospel May 4, 1891. The funeral services were held at the Christian Church May 29, at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. R. E. Thomas, after which the remains were laid to rest in the East Side cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 1 June 1893]

Willard SMITH, son of Mrs. W. H. ORMSBEE, died at the home of his mother in this city, Sunday evening, May 28, aged 31 years. About the middle of February he came home from N.Y., where he held a fine position, to be with his mother, as consumption had marked him for its own. The funeral was held from the home, Tuesday, afternoon, Rev. Dr. Rollins officiating. [Batavia Herald, 1 June 1893]

Mrs. Clarissa JENKS, a resident of Winnebago county since 1836, and the oldest Chautauquan graduate in the world, died, in Rockford, Saturday afternoon, at the age of 90 years. She was the mother of J. H. JENKS, of Aurora and Dr. Jenks who has been one of the successful physicians of Plano, for over 30 years. [Batavia Herald, 8 June 1893]

Mrs. TARBLES, an inmate of the house for several years, died, Monday, June 3, from paralysis. She was a great ____ and a great care, and never able to help herself while at the Alms House. Remains were taken to Aurora by her son for burial. [Batavia Herald, 8 June 1893]

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. SANDELL, was buried, Monday. [Batavia Herald, 8 June 1893]

A 15 month old son of Mr. and Mrs. Dan ZOLLER, died last Thursday, and was taken to Mount Carrol, Friday for burial. [Batavia Herald, 8 June 1893]

Eddie SWANSON, aged 14 years, died suddenly, Tuesday morning, of enlargement of the heart.
[Batavia Herald, 15 June 1893]

Stephen HOWELL, a highly respected citizen, died suddenly, last week, of apoplexy, aged 60 years. The funeral was held from the home, Friday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 15 June 1893]

DIED: Zotto E., infant son of Eugene and Malcha OTIS, died in this city, Thursday, June 8, 1893, of whooping cough, aged 10 months. The funeral services were held from the house Saturday at 2 p.m., Rev. R. E. Thomas officiating. The quartette furnished some appropriate music. A number of relatives and friends were present from other cities to extend their sympathy to the bereaved parents, among them being, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. OTIS, and Geo. OTIS, of Chicago, and Mrs. S. KENYON and family of Aurora. [Batavia Herald, 15 June 1893]

DIED: Wednesday, June 14, of consumption, Chas. Johnson, aged 21 years. Buried on the farm.
[Batavia Herald, 15 June 1893]

Died, Sunday, June 11, of dropsy of the brain, John BENSON, aged 30 years. Remains were buried on the farm. [Batavia Herald, 15 June 1893]

While performing his duties at the U. S. Factory, Saturday, June 17, Charles NURNBERG had a piece of steel thrust in his left hand, which embedded itself into the flesh so deep that the assistance of a physician was necessary. Dr. Bucher was called to perform the operation. The patient demanded that he should be put under the influence of chloroform while the operation was performed. After being questioned as to his abilities to stand the effects of the drug, and stating that he was, and still insisting on taking the same, Dr. Whitehorne was called to administer the chloroform and a small quantity was given and the operation commenced, but the patient at the first cutting of the knife tried to pull away his hand and a few moments afterwards showed signs of sinking, and in a short time breathed his last. The physicians and others worked faithfully over the body, to restore life, but without success. Coroner Putnam was notified, and brought with him, Dr. Patterson, of Aurora, who, in company with Dr. Bothwell, held a post mortem examination, which developed the fact that the patient had heart disease, and was liable to death under any excitement. After an inquest was held, the jury rendered a verdict that Chas. NURNBERG came to his death from paralysis of the heart, and exhorted the physicians from all blame.
For the family and friends, this untimely death, is one of the saddest realities of life. The young husband and father left his happy little home in the morning apparently in his usual health, where a devoted and hopeful wife and a bright little infant were his sunshine. In the afternoon, that home was thrown into darkness and extreme grief. The once happy husband and father had departed from them forever in the lapse of a few hours. The sorely afflicted family have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.

May 24, 1893, Chas. NURNBERG was 24 years of age. He was the son of William NURNBERG, who resides a short distance east of Batavia. Deceased has resided in or near Batavia for 20 years; had been a faithful employee of the U. S. Factory for several years. By those who knew him, he was pronounced as being a young man, who was honorable, industrious and esteemed by his neighbors and associates. Shortly after his marriage, about two years ago, he purchased a little home, which he was laboring hard to pay for, and used every cent he could possibly spare for this purpose and death overtook him without financial preparation, as he did not even have a life insurance which leaves his grief stricken wife and little four week's old babe empty handed, and their home only partially cleared of debt.
Monday afternoon, June 19, 1893, funeral services were held at the German Lutheran Church, conducted by Rev. G. Traub, of Aurora. As a mark of respect for a faithful employee, the U. S. Factory closed down and the funeral services were largely attended. The remains were interred in the East Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 22 June 1893]

Mrs. Henry SEARLS died Thursday, June 15, at the home of her daughter. Mrs. Geo. SEARLS, after an illness of six weeks, aged 82 years. The funeral was held from the house Sunday afternoon.

DIED: Infant daughter of A. BENSON, at 8:30 Wednesday morning. Funeral will be held at the house Thursday afternoon at 2o’clock. Remains will be interred in the West Side Cemetery. [Batavia Herald, 22 June 1893]

DIED: Mr. George MINIUM, a brother of J. J. MINIUM of this city, died at his home in Maple Park, Thursday, April 27, 1893, after a lingering illness, aged 60 years. He leaves a wife and two children to mourn his loss. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at one o'clock [Batavia Herald, 5 May 1893]

DIED: Rev. Charles WHITING, for many years pastor of the Baptist Church at Canton, Ill., died at his home after a brief illness, Wednesday, April 26, 1893, aged 63 years. Deceased was the father of a large family of children, one son, Charles A. WHITING being a resident of this city, who left at once when he heard of his father’s illness, but he did not reach his father’s bedside until he had breathed his last. Mrs. C. A. WHITING and Miss Essie left Thursday, to attend to the funeral, and expect to remain two weeks. [Batavia Herald, 5 May 1893]

Mr. John GILLMAN, a resident of this vicinity for eight years, and well and favorably known among our older citizens, died at his home in Plano, Sunday, April 30, 1893, at 8 o'clock, a.m., aged 77 years. Deceased was born in Coburg, Canada, June 1, 1816, and went from there to N. Y., when eleven years of age, where he remained until 1837, when he came to ill., and settled near Long Grove, from thence he came to Elburn, where he remained eight years, and then moved to near Plano. Oct. 1, 1842, he married Miss Margaret JOBES, with whom he lived to celebrate their Golden Wedding, which occurred Oct. 2, 1892. About eight years ago he was injured in a runaway accident which resulted in the loss of his eye sight, and since that time has been entirely blind. A few years ago they retired from active farming and went to Plano, where the rest of his life has been spent. Since his blindness his faithful wife has been his greatest comfort, as her whole time was devoted to reading to him, and helping to pleasantly pass away the time. His health has been gradually failing ever since his blindness, and for a few months just past has been nearly helpless, but was only confined to his bed a few days before his death. He was the father of three children, one son, Charles, who lives on the old homestead, and two daughters, one having died in infancy, the other, Mrs. Post, living at Post Falls, Oregon. Deceased was honest, upright and highly respected by all who knew him. The funeral was held in the Plano Baptist church, Tuesday, May 2d, at 2 p.m., Rev. G. M. Daniels officiating. The remains were taken to Griswold cemetery for burial. His faithful and aged companion has our heartfelt sympathy in her hour of sorrow.
[Batavia Herald, 5 May 1893]

Rev. Swanson BECKMAN, a former Geneva boy, died in California, Thursday, April 28. The body was brought to Geneva and the funeral services held in the Lutheran Church Thursday. [Batavia Herald, 5 May 1893]

William Christian, son of Christian and Frederica MILLER, was born near Batavia, Ill., May 12, 1878, and died at the home of his parents, May 11th, 1893, at the youthful age, ? years, 11 months and 29 days. The funeral services took place at the German Evangelical Church Sunday afternoon, the Rev’s. Alberding and Tinkbeiner officiating. J. H. Alberding, of Aurora, assisted by the Misses Edith and Mamie Bartlett and Geo. T. Alberding, furnished the singing, which was very appropriate. The funeral was largely attended, as Willie was a great favorite with all whom he knew. [Batavia Herald, 19 May 1893]

Mrs. Elizabeth STUART, mother of James STUART, the barber on Wilson St., died, Saturday, May 13, 1893. Deceased was born in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1816. She went from there with her parents to Mt. Carmel, Ill., where she was married to Mr. William STUART (deceased) Jan. 2, 1845, from there they moved to Chicago, and she was converted during her residence in that city, in a revival held in the African M. E. church, in Feb. 1852, and united with said church. She came to Batavia in 1853 and was one of the organizers of the A. M. E. church of this city, and has lived a consistent Christian. The funeral took place at the A.M.E. church, Rev. A. T. Hall officiating. [Batavia Herald, 19 May 1893]

Last week the Herald chronicled the sad death of William C. MILLER, a promising young son of F. and C. MILLER, aged 14 years, and now they are so soon called upon to mourn the death of their daughter, Emma, aged 11 years, 9 months and 22 days. The funeral was held at the German M.E. Church, Monday, May 22, conducted by Revs. Alberding and Tinkbein. The remains were interred in the East Side cemetery. Other members of the family are also very sick, but it is hoped that they will recover. They have been sorely afflicted, and have the sympathy of their neighbors and friends. [Batavia Herald, 25 May 1893]

Death of Mrs. Julia A. KEMP, An Old And Highly Esteemed Resident.
The funeral of Mrs. KEMP was held at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harriet MEREDITH, Saturday, May 20, conducted by Rev. C. C. Lovejoy, President of the Jennings Seminary, Aurora. Her remains were interred in the East Side Cemetery.
Mrs. Julia A. KEMP (widow of the late Milo M. KEMP) died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harriet MEREDITH, Thursday, p.m., May 18, in the 77th year of her age. She was a loving, forgiving and affectionate mother and friend and as she was nearing the shore, her mind went back the day her dear mother was laid away and the song of “Mother thou art gone to rest” was sung that day, she said to her dear ones, “I want my own grandchildren to sing that song” and received a promise that they would. Always brave and unflinching where duty bade her go and when she heard the call that she must walk the unknown shore, she longed to lift deaths veil to meet her dear ones and sing Gods praises forever. She leaves to mourn her loss, her two daughters, Mrs. H. MEREDITH and Mrs. A. H. ARNOLD and many dear friends. She was one of the few that are left that came to our town in its infancy and one by one they are passing away. [Batavia herald, 25 May 1893]

Mrs. Ellen DONOVAN, died at her home in Batavia, Thursday, May 18, 1893, at 12 m. aged 87 years. Deceased was born in Clonokelty, Cork Co., Ireland, in 1806, and emigrated to this country in early life, having been a resident of this city for 34 years. The funeral was held Saturday at 2 p.m., in the Catholic Church, Rev. Father Spellman conducting the services, and the remains were laid in the West Side Cemetery. She leaves three children, Thos. D. and Anna DONOVAN, and Mrs. Eliza D. MURRY, besides a large circle of friends to mourn her death. [Batavia Herald, 25 May 1893]

Mrs. Samuel NELSON one of Geneva’s oldest inhabitants died Wednesday of last week, aged 72 years. The funeral was held from the home Thursday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 25 May 1893]

An Old and Highly Esteemed Citizen of Batavia, Who Lived a Long and Useful Life; Accumulated Great Wealth and Expended it for a Good Cause
The late Elijah H. GAMMON, who was Vice-President of the Plano Manufacturing Co., was born in Lexington, Maine, Dec. 23, 1819, and at an early age began to lean upon his own resources for support, as his parents were farmers, of small means, and unable to even furnish him the education he so much desired and which he acquired by studying nights and working days for the necessaries of life. At the age of nineteen years he began teaching school, but still continued his studies, as he had decided to become a Methodist preacher. In the year 1843 he married Sarah J. CUTTER, and the same year was stationed at Wilton, Maine, with a salary of $100 per year. He continued preaching in this section until 1851, when, on account of the sever climate, he contracted a bronchial trouble that necessitated his removal to a more congenial clime. After careful investigation, and correspondence with friends who had moved to Ill., he with his wife and two daughters, Abbie K. and Sarah M., came west and settled in Ross Grove, DeKalb Co. The country then being new, he opened a select school. In 1852 he united with the Rock River Conference of the M. E. Church, and was stationed at St. Charles. From there he was sent to the Jefferson street church in Chicago, and in 1854 came to Batavia, where he remained pastor one year, of the M. E. church, when he was appointed Presiding Elder of the St. Charles district, which duties he discharged until his health failed him in 1858., when he was confined to his bed for a long time. After his recovery, he was unable to continue in the ministerial work, was placed upon the superanuated list, which relation he maintained until the day of his death. During the year of 1855 occurred the death of his wife, who is buried at this place. In May, 1856, he married Mrs. Jane COLTON, who followed him to their future home, Dec. 23, 1892. His only son Charles Wesley GAMMON was born Sept., 1857, and died at the age of 19 years, of typhoid fever, while attending school at Worchester, Mass. In the year 1859 Mr. Gammon bought an interest in, and became a member of the firm Newton & Co., with home he continued until 1861, when his attention was called to the great demand for harvesting machinery, and he conceived the idea of a large house for distributing them at Chicago. From this thought, came the great distributing firm of Easter and Gammon. In 1864 this firm took hold of the Marsh Harvester and became its general agents for six of the western states. This was the foundation of then great fortune which he accumulated - upwards of two millions. A few years later, Mr. GAMMON acquired an interest in the Plano Manufactory with the Marshes and Stewards and early in 1870 he associated with him, Wm. DEERING, under the firm name of Gammon & Deering. In 1878 he withdrew from active connection with it and spent considerable time traveling in Europe as well as his own country. In 1881 he became associated with W. H. JONES, now President of the Plano Mfg. Co., who with others immediately placed a harvester, the “Light Running Plano,” on the market, which was a most marvelous success, and to-day the factory ranks among the best. The establishing of the Gammon Theological Seminary at Atlanta, Georgia, and the beautiful and spacious M. E. Church, of Batavia, will stand as fitting monuments to the memory of the Christian gentleman. He departed this life at his home in Batavia, July 3, 1891. [Batavia Herald, 7 April 1893]

The remains of Mr. DOWNER were brought here from Downer’s Grove, Sunday, and interred in the West Side cemetery. He was a resident of Batavia for 13 years and his wife was buried here in 1864. Deceased was 80 years of age. [Batavia Herald, 14 April 1893]

Sad Death of Little Elsie HAYDEN
The suffering of little Elsie HAYDEN, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. N. HAYDEN, came to a terminus, Friday evening, April 14, 1893, at 7 o'clock, after a brief illness, aged 10 years. Elsie was a bright child of sunny disposition, and a kind hearted little girl, and will be sincerely mourned by all who knew her. The funeral was held at the residence of her parents, Sunday morning at 8:30, Rev. R. E. Thomas officiating. The many beautiful floral offerings from her Sabbath School class, were very fitting and appropriate, showing the esteem in which she was held by her young friends. The remains were interred in Hampshire. [Batavia Herald, 21 April 1893]

Carl JOHNSON, died, at his home, on the East Side of the river, Sunday, April 16, 1893, aged 30 years. For over a year he had been a sufferer from consumption, and went to Sweden, last summer for his health, but to no avail. The funeral took place from the home, Tuesday afternoon. [Batavia herald, 21 April 1893]

DIED: Mr. John ANDERSON Tuesday, April 18, 1893, at 11 p.m. He was among the early settlers of Batavia, having resided here about thirty-five years. [Batavia Herald, 21 April, 1893]

Andrew REDBORG received the sad news, Saturday, of the death of his brother, John, who died at home in Neb., April 22, of lung trouble. He was a former resident of this city. [Batavia Herald, 28 April, 1893]

Mr. V. HICKS, senior editor of the Sycamore City Weekly, died, at his home, Thursday, April 20, after a few days illness of rheumatism. [Batavia Herald, 28 April 1893]

August JOHNSON, and aged Swede man, unmarried, died at his home, on the East Side, Friday. The burial was Sunday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 28 April 1893]

Michael GAFFNEY Meets his Death Under the Wheels
Last Saturday Mr. James GAFFNEY, the courteous and obliging operator, at the N.W. Depot, in Batavia, received the sad intelligence by wire that his father, Michael GAFFNEY, had been killed by the cars, at Elburn. He at once departed for the scene, and found that the sad news was all too true. Mr. GAFFNEY was section foreman of the N. W., at Elburn, and was a trusted and valued employee of the Co., and his untimely death is regretted by all who knew him. When the accident occurred Mr. Gaffney and his crew were working on the section a short distance from the Station, and the unfortunate man was stooping over the track, driving a nail, when a wild train came along and struck him. Deceased was about 53 years of age. Mr. James GAFFNEY has the sympathy of his Batavia friends in this his hour of sorrow and affliction. [Batavia Herald, 10 March 1893]

DIED - Mr. John ANDERSON, a former employee of the U. S. Co., died at his home in this city Wednesday, March 8th, 1893, at 4 o'clock a.m., aged 39 years, after a brief illness of pneumonia. He was a native of Sweden, and was a hardworking, industrious man, and his death is a sad blow to his wife and three small children. The funeral took place from his plate home on the west side, Thursday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 10 March 1893]

Many of the older residents and pioneers of Batavia have been passing away of late years, in the death of Mrs. Dr. H. W. WILLIAMS, on Sunday evening, March 5th, one more is gone. Mrs. WILLIAMS was born in Hanover, N. H., December 14, 1816, being one of ten children in the family of rev. Josiah TOWNE. Mr. Towne was for a long time pastor of the Congregational Church in that city and assisted in the founding of the Geneva, Ill., church. He appeared frequently also in the Batavia pulpit, and his wife lies now in the family lot of the West Side cemetery. At the age of 18, Miss Eunice Penfield TOWNE removed to Ohio, where she taught school in Milan and other places. She was married at Hudson in 1842, Mr. WILLIAMS and herself then teaching together. Subsequently, Mr. W. studied medicine, and in 1848, when their youngest child, the late William WILLIAMS, was but a few months old, came direct to Batavia. The 45 years here filled with industries and privations, the duties and joys incident to so many lives, were not especially uneventful. But she brought some superior powers into her home where she was thoughtful and unselfish, loving and beloved, where she found time for music, painting, and flowers, and also books, including the “Book of all Books.” Mrs. W. became a Christian early in life and was a member of the Batavia Congregational church 44 years. She was for a long time a singer in the choir, and was active in church life until her health began to give way. Increasing disease and years, and recent bereavement have had their effect, and now that she has passed considerably beyond the three score and ten limit, and rounded the golden milestone of wedded life, we shall trust that she is in that world whose hopes and consolations had found their way to earth.
Besides the son, daughter and husband surviving, two brothers and two sisters, Josiah, Joseph and Abigail TOWNE and Mrs. CLAPP still live in Batavia.
The funeral services were held at the home, Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Bissell, officiating.
[Batavia Herald, 10 March, 1893]

A Most Lovable Woman, Whose Life Was Sweetened By the Impulses of Christian Charity and Benevolence. Beloved By All That Knew Her.
Batavia Ill., Dec 23rd, 1892 - Batavia is thrown into deep mourning and many a heart was saddened when the news was spread of the sad and sudden death of Mrs. E. H. GAMMON, wife of the late E. H. GAMMON who was one of the generous hearted millionaires of Batavia, and only preceded his wife in death 17 months.
While on her way to Chicago, in company with Rev. Mr. Fleming, at the Northwestern depot, Mrs. GAMMON was stricken down with apoplexy. She was at once removed to her spacious home on Batavia avenue, and everything done for her that mortal hands could do, but all in vain, as she passed to the great beyond at 11:30.
Deceased was a pleasant, generous hearted woman, who was beloved by all who knew her, and , being endowed with wealth, she expended thousands of dollars every year for the benefit of benevolent societies ad the needy and unfortunate in Batavia and other places. Every week she used to visit the county alms house, and by her sunny face and genial ways and liberal purse, made glad the hearts of many unfortunates. She was a talented and gifted lady, and a leader __ all societies where she assembled. At the time of her death, being president of the Ladies Columbian Club, of Batavia, and a great worker in the M. E. Church, of which she was a valued member. Her husband was a two-thirds owner of the Plano Harvester Works, which is the third largest in the United States; he was also the founder of the Gammon Theological Seminary, at Atlanta, Ga., which he endowed with $250,000, and it is now one of the leading institutions in the state.
Mrs. GAMMON was snatched from this world while in the best of health, happy and very appreciative of her lot in life, aged 59 years. We are not surprised that there is deep sorrow in this city, as her demise is an irreparable loss to Batavia which it may not regain in many years. Deceased leaves no children, but has sisters and brothers, namely, J. P. PRINDLE. Of Batavia, vice-president of the Plano Mfg. Co.; J. R. PRINDLE, of Evanston; Mrs. D. C. NEWTON, of Batavia, and Mrs. L. P. FOOTE, of Batavia.
Very impressive funeral services were held, Monday, in the First M. E. Church, the beautiful edifice which was erected by the lamented E. H. GAMMON, and Capt. D. C. NEWTON.
A special train was run out from Chicago over the Northwestern railroad, and well filled with mourning friends, who took this opportunity of paying their last tribute of respect to this noble and much beloved lady. The spacious church was filled to its utmost capacity and the services, conducted by Rev. Mr. Fleming, who was ably assisted by Presiding Elder CADY, were most beautiful and appropriate - Mr. Fleming paying a very fine eulogy to the memory of the departed, and so effective and realistic were his eloquent words, that an impression of deep sorrow was manifested throughout the entire audience. As he said, none can eulogize her too highly. She was among the most noble and purest of this world. The large choir, of which the departed was a leader for some many years, sang very sweetly, for the opening hymn, “Rock o Ages,” and gave as a closing song, “Lead Kindly Light,” this being the same hymn that was sung at the funeral of Mrs. HARRISON. Mr. H., N. WADE very ably rendered a beautiful and appropriate solo.
The floral offerings were most beautiful and appropriate, and among them we noted the following list: Large “Harp,” from the Plano Mfg. Co.; elegant “Lyre,” Ladies Columbian Club, of Batavia; beautiful “wreath,” Choir; Large bunch of choice roses, he Sunday School Class; bouquet of lilies from friends.
During the funeral services a telegram of condolence was received from the Gammon Theological Seminary, of Atlanta, Ga., which stated that the memorial services were held there at the same hour of the funeral in Batavia.
The pall-bearers were: Mr. W. H. JONES, pres. Plano Mfg. Co.; L. B. WOOD, Treasurer, Plano Mfg. Co.; James MAIR; G. W. CHAMBERLAIN, of Chicago; F. P. CRANDON, tax Commissioner C. & N. W. Ry,; and Mr. CUMNOCK, the great Reader of Evanston.
The remains were conveyed by special car and followed by a large concourse of mourning friends to their last resting place, beside her husband, in the beautiful cemetery, Graceland, Chicago.

“For of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.”
My words today will be brief, simple and sincere. There is no need for a eulogy even if there were time for it. The character that has gone from us was its own eulogy. The psalm of her life is already sung.
The data that form the background of this life and character of beauty are few and simple: Jane C. Gammon was born in Bennington, N. Y., March 2nd, 1833. She grew to womanhood in the East where she taught school for several years. At 20 she was married to Mr. Norman J. COLTON whose death occurred in less than a year afterwards. In 1855 Mrs. COLTON came west with her infant son and settled in Batavia, Ill. Here in May of the following year she was married to Rev. E. H. GAMMON, then Pres. Elder of the Rock River Conference. In 1863 the family moved to Chicago where Mr. Gammon entered into business. It was here that Mrs. Gammon’s son, Norman COLTON, was hurt by the street cars and from which injuries he died at the age of twelve. The family moved from Chicago to Detroit, where they lived for a short time. Afterward they went to Plano, Ill., but in 1880 returned to Batavia, which continued to be their residence until Gad called them to another home. The son, Charles Wesley, born to Mr., and Mrs. GAMMON lived to be nineteen, when he died of Typhoid Fever while attending school in the East.
Bereft of Husband and children Mrs. GAMMON devoted her life until the last hour to the happiness of others. There are some people whom death seems to transfigure. As they recede from us they seem to grow in proportions of symmetry and beauty. Death brings out all the graces we had never seen before. This was not so with Mrs. Gammon. Life transfigured her. Every day she went up into the mountain and came back aglow with the life of God. These are strong words to speak of anyone. But it is the truth in them that makes them strong.
Mrs. Gammon’s life may be summed up in her relation. 1st.: To the Community. 2nd.: To Her Home. 3rd.: To the Church and to Christ.
And First: Her relation to the Community. There are some people whose personalities are so merged into their own home life that they are never known beyond their own firesides. Of necessity it may be that they are confined in their duty and influence to the four walls of the home. They are good and it may be grand souls. Others confine their attentions to their particular church. They fill out their church life with their presence and good deeds. There are others who rise through home and church and touch the community at large and are a part of it and belong to it. They belong to us all. Mrs. Gammon was one of these. She held a relation to the community. And the beauty of that relation was in this, that she took hold of the best element of our village life. She fostered and encouraged only the good. Was there a good lecture to be brought here? She aided its coming. Was there good music? She was enthusiastic for it. Was there a course of art lectures? She lent her influence and presence. Was there a man called to help bring men out of darkness to the knowledge of the living Christ? She sent for him and wept and prayed for souls astray from the truth. Was there a club formed for historical study, to prepare the ladies of the village for a just appreciation of the art and history of the great Columbian Exposition? She entered it with enthusiasm and being made its local president, her place and influence are attested by the beautiful floral tribute by which the members have adorned the occasion. There was nothing enobling that came to this community but she was the supporter and friend. She touched our village life at many points and always touched to bless. Every good cause has lost a friend. ____ _____ _____ struggling upward to a better life has lost an inspiring example. Every poor home is poorer because the heart that beats there is stiller and those hands of loving ministry are folded forever.
Her relation to the home:
Mrs. Gammon’s character, touched by such a test, rise into beauteous proportion. From the day she went as a bride to Mr. Gammon’s home to care for his two motherless girls, until she went down the steps of her home on Thursday afternoon for the last time, she gave herself with womanly self sacrifice to every interest of the household. Under her touch, the house became a home. When that home was a cottage, she was happy in it. When it grew to larger proportions, she still filled it with the radiance of her nature. And when it assumed proportions approaching the palatial, she rose to its requirements and filled it with a grace and courtesy the fragration of a broad and cultured womanhood. I asked a thoughtful young man what traits in Mrs. Gammon’s character specially impressed him. He said “I think it was her universal kindness.” The answer was discriminating and true. That kindness was a part of herself. There was nothing affected about her. She was genuinely kind. She belonged to a high order of womanhood. She was mightier than any sphere of life into which God led her. She glorified the life into which she came, and as she from one sphere to another she left behind her a trail of gracious influence like light from the robe of Christ.
A week ago I said to a gentleman what I never expected to say on such an occasion as this, namely, that I thought Mrs. Gammon’s relation to the wealth that she possessed was simply ideal. She held it in her hand and said “I want to use it for God.” No one ever saw her do a deed for ostentation or display. She said she wanted to use this trust sacredly as God would have, and her heart was full of large purposes for the Kingdom. She was a worthy steward of her Lord’s treasure.
3rd. Her relation to the Church and to Christ.
Mrs. Gammon’s heart was with the Church. When she was about sixteen she united with the Church, but her life had always been one of prayer and piety. She grew up into Christ. There are people who touch Church life on one side, social, intellectual, spiritual, financial. She touched it on all sides. Here was a complete Christian character. There was no department of Church life but felt her helpful touch. In Chicago, at the Centenary Church she was an enthusiastic member of the choir, but active in all other departments of work. Here in Batavia she has been the leader and inspiration of the choir. Whatever else was not attended to the pastor felt the music would go rightly. She was happy in that responsibility. In the Sunday School there was to say the least, no more prompt, faithful and efficient teacher. Her class of young men will miss her. She was specially interested in them. To lead them to Christ was her single aim. In the social work of the Church she was among the first. At prayer meeting no one gave more humble testimony. Her words were humility itself as she expressed her dependence upon the mercy and grace of God. She was timid and distrustful of herself. She believed in the goodness of others and of God. She has passed in her holy influence into the history of the Church. I say it deliberately and as a matter of conviction that the standard of a gracious Christian womanhood has been set in this Church for all the years to come. “Others have done excellently but thou excellest them all.”
To me this is the saddest day of my ministry. It is not alone in the loss of a noble parishioner but of a personal friend, whose Christian worth and character have commanded my undisguised admiration. Her home was a place of inspiration and delight, a point from which radiated influences only the best.
Her death occurred when she was just starting for Chicago to hear the Messiah. It was a typical fact of her whole life. She was fond of music, the best music. And it is consoling to remember that she was on her way to hear “The Messiah,” when God spoke to her and said, “Come and see the Messiah.” She was on her way to that great and massive Auditorium in the city when God said “Come to me to the building of God, the house not made with hands!” And it is blessed to remember the morning, that about the time that the great choir was rising to sing the “Hallelujah Chorus,” about that time the soul of our sister fluttered through the gates” to hear the “Hallelujah” Chorus of the skies.
She is gone. But the music of her life lingers with us. And I can think of nothing so expressive of herself and the words of the Savior, “For such is the Kingdom of Heaven.” R. I. Fleming
[Batavia Herald, 10 March 1893]

Ed WALLACE, the young man who was so badly scalded, at the Alms House last Saturday, died Thursday night, and was buried, Friday afternoon. [Batavia Herald, 17 March 1893]

Mrs. George WELLS, formerly of Batavia, died Sunday, with Rheumatism of the heart. Mr. Wells buried his mother the previous Sunday. [Batavia Herald, 17 March 1893]

Two Men Drowned in Little Rock Creek, at Hinckley.
Last Thursday two young men, of Hinckley were amusing themselves by jumping on cakes of ice, in Little Rock Creek near the place and riding down stream, when they saw a man driving along and called to him in sport to come and save them; he thinking they were in danger started to their rescue, when his vehicle was upset and himself and team drowned. When the young men saw the accident, one of them went to his rescue but was taken down with cramps and went down. The bodies floated under the large cakes of ice and were not rescued until night. The drowned men were Mr. BINDER and Mr. CARLSON. Carlson was soon to have married a daughter of Mr. Binder. This should be a lesson to all who are inclined to do this hazardous trick. Only last week we saw some of our Batavia boys riding the “raging Fox” in the same way, and it is a wonder we have not had more accidents of this nature to record, and in our own city. [Batavia Herald, 17 March 1893]

Monday's Aurora Daily News says the body of a man was found Sunday, in a well on the farm of N. M. WICKS, just south of Plano. It was identified as that of Andrew ELLERTON, who mysteriously disappeared Dec. 16th, and has not been seen since. The body was in a perfect state of preservation. The verdict of the jury was to the effect that “he came to his death by drowning, with suicidal intent.” [Batavia Herald, 24 March 1893]

Death of Mrs. M. J. BRADLEY.
Mrs. Mary Jane BRADLEY, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. ABBOTT, in this city, Wednesday, February 15, 1893, aged 73 years. Deceased was born in the state of N. Y. in 1830. She was married to John COOLIDGE in 1835. They came west in 1835 and settled in Maringo [sic]. Mr. C. passed away in .... and in 1870 she was married to Mr. Henry BRADLEY, who died in .... Under the ministry of Monroe .... she was converted over 30 years ... After her marriage to Mr. B. her.... was on the West Side in this .... She had been afflicted with rheum... for some time, and death came ... very suddenly. She leaves one son, ... and one daughter. The funeral took .... Friday at 10 A.M. from the .... Rev. R. E. Thomas officiating ... remains were laid to rest in the ... Side cemetery.
[Batavia Herald, 24 Feb. 1893, a tape mark partially obscures the column causing the .... above to represent missing words.]

Frank Preston
The Elgin Daily Courier
August 9, 1904, p. 1.

After a long illness of paralysis Frank Preston, one of the most highly respected citizens of Elgin, died last Sunday at the National Soldiers' Home, Milwaukee. Popular among all and beloved to hosts of friends, his death brings much sorrow to those who knew him.

Mr. Preston was born at Auburn, N.H., in 1833 and his boyhood days were spent in the east. In 1869, Mr. Preston came to Elgin. A few years after arriving here he obtained a position in the screw department of the watch factory. In 1880 he was made foreman of the screw department, resigning his position in 1896. For a short time he was employed in the machine shop at the Illinois Watch Case company. Mr. Preston was one of the well-known musicians of this city, having been at one time director of one of the most popular orchestras in this vicinity. He was also a prominent member of the famous Watch Factory band and for many years he was the leader of the Bluff City band.

At the beginning of the civil war Mr. Preston enlisted in the 3d Massachusetts regiment and served in that command throughout the war. He was beloved and honored by his comrades, who know him as a brave soldier. For many years Mr. Preston had taken a great interest in the G.A.R. movements of Illinois and for this work he gained much popularity among the veterans. Last year he was elected town collector but owing to ill health was unable to attend to his duties. Later he went to the Soldiers' home at Milwaukee and since then has lived there.

A widow, Mrs. Ella Preston, is left to mourn the loss. The funeral will be held Wednesday at 2 o'clock at the home, No. 353 Division street.
[Submitted by DonnaMStefani@hotmail.com ]

Elgin, Illinois
Monday, 21 Sept 1885.
Death of
Mrs. Preston

Fanny M., wife of Frank Preston, died at her home, 271 Division street at 9 a.m., on Sunday, of cerebral apoplexy, after an illness of about nine hours’ duration.

Fanny M. Dockum was born in Durham, N. H., fifty three years and two months ago, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Dockum. At Springfield, Mass, in 1856, she was wedded to Mr. Preston, then employed in a machine manufactory at Indian Orchard, a suburb of Springfield. Here they resided for seven years, when Frank entered the army and served his country until ’65, when he returned to Springfield and remained until ’68. With his wife he came west and settled in Elgin, in 1868. He accepted a position in the watch factory where as foreman of the screw department, he is yet a valued employe [sic]. Mrs. Preston leaves four sisters and a brother, all residents of the eastern states.

The two children that blessed the union are dead—Udell, their daughter, an accomplished beautiful young lady, dying of spinal meningitis, and Frank D., a promising young man, being brought home dead one evening nine years ago—drowned in the river while bathing.

Mrs. Preston enjoyed her usual health until about 11 o’clock on Saturday night. She had written a long letter to her friend, Mrs. Page, of Manchester, N. H., her guest a few weeks ago. In it she complained of neuralgic pains in the face, but thought that with the application of medicine and a good night’s rest she would be all right again. At 11 o’clock she seemed to lose her reasoning powers. She retired. At midnight her husband fearing something serious, summoned a doctor, and all that lay in human power was done. But she did not regain consciousness, and at 9 o’clock on the Sabbath morning, after feeble lifting her hand, her spirit went out forever.
[Submitted by DonnaMStefani@hotmail.com ]

Miss. Gertie Preston
November 08 1884, page 8, col. 5

--At the home of Mrs. George Preston, yesterday morning, Miss. Gertie Preston, age 15 years, of consumption. She worked in the watch factory until taken sick last winter. She was a niece of Frank Preston, foreman of the screw department. The funeral occurs at the Congregation church to-morrow afternoon.
"Every Saturday" (Elgin, Illinois), ed. of November 8, 1884 (p. 8, col. 5); viewed as digital image from film at Gail Borden Public Library, Elgin, IL [Submitted by DonnaMStefani@hotmail.com ]

Mrs. Hazen Webster
Elgin, Illinois
Saturday, June 8, 1889

Mrs. Hazen Webster, formerly of Elgin, died at Waukegan on Thursday, and was buried yesterday from the First Baptist Church here.
"Every Saturday" (Elgin, Illinois) [Submitted by DonnaMStefani@hotmail.com ]

Mabel R. Petersen
September 26, 1946, p. 3, col. 1

The death of Mrs. Mabel R. Petersen, 85, Tuesday morning in Dundee, marks the passing of one of the two last surviving grandchildren of James T. Gifford, founder of the city of Elgin. Her sister, Miss Ruth Preston of Rockford, survives her, the last of the third generation of this well known Elgin family. Their other was Sarah Gifford, wife of Gorge Preston, a Civil war veteran and watch company foreman.
Mabel Raymond Preston Petersen was a longtime and well known resident of Dundee. She was born in Elgin March 25, 1861 and lived here until her marriage to Dr. H. F. Petersen in 1889 and their establishment of their home in Dundee. They lived for 57 years in the historic homestead at Oregon avenue and Second streets, Doctor Petersen’s death occurring there in 1939.

Mrs. Petersen was a musician of accomplishment and for 30 years taught music privately to score of Dundee children and adults. She was a member of the Dundee Congregational guild and of Elgin chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, a beloved member of the community in which she pursued her profession and reared her family of five children to engage in professional life in their turn. Doctor Petersen was a physician and scholar of unusual attainments. For the last five years, Mrs. Petersen has made her home with Mrs. Edith Thies in East Dundee where she died Tuesday. Funeral services will be held tomorrow at 2 p. m. from the Dundee Congregational church, with cremation at Acacia park and burial in Bluff City cemetery, Elgin. Her sister, Miss Preston, and four children survive Mrs. Petersen. These latter include Dr. Max Petersen, a research physicist of Cambridge, Mass., former member of the faculty of Lehigh University; Elsa, wife of Prof. John Klein of the department of German, University of Maine, who resides at Orono; Mr. Waldemar, of Chicago, and Miss Doris Petersen,
teacher of languages at Elmhurst High School. One son, Dr. Moritz Petersen, died in 1941. There are five surviving grandsons, and a granddaughter. A brother, Starr King Preston, preceded her in death.
Src: "Daily Courier News" (Elgin, Illinois), ed. of September 26, 1946, p. 3, col. 1, viewed as digital image file (from Gail Borden Library film, image by Donna Stefani in “Re: Family Tree/Frank Preston – Fanny M. (Dockum)….,” to compiler 14 April 2007, subsequently transcribed.

Back to the Main Index Page for Kane County

©2006 K. Torp (all formatting)