Kane County, Illinois
BURTON China Wedding
Mr. and Mrs. William Burton, living on Walnut Avenue, celebrated their china wedding July 18th. The residence of the hospitable couple was well filled, mostly by relatives and former neighbors, many of whom were from the country. Mr. Leach, in behave of those assembled, presented the gifts, to which Mr. Burton responded in brief but feeling words. After a tempting supper was served, which received ample justice at the hands of all, the guests departed, wishing Mr. and Mrs. Burton many additional years in the matrimonial pilgrimage. The following is a list of the presents:
Chamber set, Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Allanson and mother, one dozen goblets, Mr. & Mrs. R. Stringer; majolica bread plate, Mr. & Mrs. G. Marshall; Majolica fruit dish, Mr. & Mrs. H. E. Perkins, majolica cake dish, Misses Edith and Anna Perkins; china water pitcher, Mr. & Mrs. E. Stringer; majolica water pitcher, Mrs. George Marshall and son; silver and cut glass pickle castor, Mr. & Mrs. Francis Burton; majolica water pitcher, Mrs. T. Bishop and son; glass fruit dish, Mr. & Mrs. Potts; pair vases and china whistle, Mr. & Mrs. McDonald; lamp, Mr. & Mrs. L. Brown; cake stand, Mr. & Mrs. L. Wood; silver and glass fruit dish, Mr. & Mrs. J. Stringer; glass water pitcher, Mr. & Mrs. F. Marshall; china cup and saucer, Mr. & Mrs. George Wright; silver pickle castor, Mrs. Joseph Stringer; glass set, Mr. & Mrs. C. M. Wheeler; and last but not least, marble top center table from groom to bride, and an easy chair from Mr. & Mrs. Peter Youngs. Mr. & Mrs. Sam Buckley, Messrs, Earnest and John Burton, and the Misses Maggie and Sarah Burton, sons and daughters of Mr. & Mrs. Burton ["Advocate" Sat. July 28, 1883 - Tr. by Suzan Stern]
Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Elliott, of Aurora, who celebrated their golden wedding in that city Aug. 3, 50 years ago, are said to have been the first couple ever married in Kane County. Mr. Elliott walked from Aurora to this city, a distance of nearly 50 miles, to procure his marriage license. How is that for devotion, ye bow-legged gallants! [The Ottawa free trader.(Ottawa, Ill.) , August 29, 1885]
LEVY Golden Wedding Celebration Announcement - 1855-1905; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Levy Celebrate Golden Wedding
Charles Levy and Ann Frydendall were united in marriage Oct. 10th, 1855, on what is now known as the Weaver farm, four miles west of Batavia, by the late Rev. E. H. Gammon, of our city, who is still kindly remebered by many of our citizens. The wedding arrangements in those days were somEwhat different than now, and this one in particular. When the minister arrived at the home to perform the ceremony, he found the bride to be busily engaged in making cheese, and when he said with surprise: "Why I thought I came out here to marry you? Isn't there to be a wedding." She replied, "I must finish the cheese first, you step in and wait." So after finishing her task, she was soon dressed in her wedding gown and the ceremony performed.
Mr. and Mrs. Levy, like the young people today, took a bridal trip, driving to Kaneville, a distance of 12 miles and for the first time seeing the place, which at that time was considered quite a town. After one month spent at home, they began house keeping two miles east of Batavia, and after eight years they purchased a farm in the Township of Blackberry, and later on another one. In 1888, they retired and came to Batavia, locating in their pleasant home, on North Batavia Avenue, where they enjoyed life in a manner few people do. Always active and industrious, yet taking many pleasure trips and seeing the world and thereby making the best of life. To them were born eight children, six of whom are living and all but one in Kane County. They are people who have never aspired ? ? ? ? in their quiet way have done much good the world. An aged uncle was an inmate of their home for 43 years and received every care. Mrs. Nellie Griffin, was also given the care and love of an own daughter, from the age of four years, by these loving relatives.
Mr. and Mrs. Levy were both born in Schnectdy, N. Y. Mr. Levy Aug 4th, 1829, Ann Frydendall, Nov. 14th, 1835, the latter coming west with her parents in 1842, it taking them 21 days to make the journey to Chicago. From there the men of the party walked to Batavia, where they rented the farm, secured teams and went back after the women and children, reaching Batavia on July 4th. Mr. Levy followed 10 years later, hunted up his old friends from the east, and the marriage of this worthy couple followed.
The home was beautifully decorated for the occasion. Green and Gold being the predominating colors. The rooms were festooned in White and Gold, with dots of green foliage, while huge boquets of cut flowers were to be seen at every hand. The dining room was artistically decorated with smilax and yellow. The center of each long table contained a pyramid boquet, one of yellow Narsturtions and the other of golden Dahlias. A huge brides cake, decorated in gold, with the dates 1855 and 1905, was one of the pretty features of the table decorations. The guests from outside the city, were entertained from 10 a. m. to 5 p. m. numbering 74, and were all served a hot four course dinner. After the guests were seated at the tables, the rooms and occupants were photographed and each guest registered in a neat little book, for future reference. A number of persons who attended the marriage ceremony 50 years ago being present. Neat Souvenir cards, with good cuts of the bride and groom were a novel and surprising feature that was highly appreciated by all. A large list of valuable presents, among which was a Gold Headed cane and Umbrella, handsomely engraved Gold Clock, Candesticks, Eye Glasses, Spoons, Forks, handpainted China, Landscape Scenery, Point Lace work, etc.; were presented to Mr. and Mrs. Levy, by Mrs. F. E. Marley, in behalf of the friends present. Guests from abroad:
Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Levy, California; Mr. Peter Levy, Schenectady, N. Y.; Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Levy, Woodstock; Mrs. G. Catlin, Creston, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. Lanson Miller, Atlantic, Iowa; Mrs. J. R. Cole and son, Geneva; Mrs. Seymour Perry and two daughters, of Kaneville; Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Griffin, Chicago; Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Smith; Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Hardy; Mr. and Mrs. Seufert; Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Levy and family; Mr. and Mrs. Krumlauf and family, all of Aurora
The children, with the exception of one daughter-in-law, were all present and assisted in entertaining the guests. The friends from Batavia were entertained from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and enjoyed a pleasant and social evening with the bride and groom of 50 years, who looked many years younger than father time has recorded against them. Mr. and Mrs. Levy are a genial couple, one that the many cares and trials of life have not soured or discouraged, and therefore one always enjoys being in their company. Light refreshments were served during the evening. The HERALD joins with their large company of friends in wishing them many years of health and happiness. [Unknown paper probably from Batavia, IL Oct 1905 - Contributed by Source #8]
Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Thompson
Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Thompson, 702 Galena Boulevard will entertain eighteen guests at dinner this evening in honor of their fiftieth wedding anniversary. Mrs. Thompson who was born in New Jersey and Mr. Thompson who was born in Sugar Grove have both passed their seventieth birthday. They were married at Ball Mound, the temperature on the wedding day having been twenty five degrees below zero. They lived on a farm at Grouse Corners between Kaneville and Aurora, the birthplace of Mr. Thompson for twenty-one years and later moved to Aurora where they have resided for twenty nine years. Mr. Thompson is a brother of the late Edwin W. Thompson. The two brothers were in the Thompson Transfer business for a number of years, having sold their business ten years ago to the Valentine Company.
Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have three children, Miss Elsie Thompson who makes her home with her parents, Mrs. Fa Suiter (Mable Thompson) of Tulare, California and John Thompson of Chicago. There are two grandchildren. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson attend the New England Congregational Church and the former is a member of the Odd Fellows.
Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Thompson
The Thompson Golden Wedding
"Their golden wedding day" in the celebration of the fiftieth milestone of married life of Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Thompson Saturday meant all that the charming phrase indicates. Thru the entire afternoon and evening their many friends and relatives thronged their home, 250 South LaSalle street, while a sheaf of telegrams and piles of letters denoted the congratulatory thought of those from out of town. Among the messages were those from Congressman I. C. Copley and Judge Samuel Alschuler.
Seldom have more beautiful flowers been seen in Aurora than were sent to the Thompson home,not only by individuals, but by the various organizations, fraternal and patriotic to which both Mr. and Mrs. Thompson belong and in which both have held practically all offices. Of these flowers naturally the spring flowers in yellow, including daffodils, occupied the greater place, but, as well, there were quantities of roses, enormous bouquet of the American Beauty rose, violets, tulips and many others, with the orange blossoms sent from California by the faithful maid employed by the Thompsons during their residence on the farm near Sugar Grove.
Mrs. Thompson received in a gown which attracted much attention, a heavy silver brocade with silver tulle, with slippers and hose to match. She wore a lovely corsage bouquet of violets and the diamond ring which was presented to her that morning by the groom of 50 years ago, that and the slender little engagement ring which has lain in the safe for years because of having grown too thin for daily wearing. There was, too, the brooch and attached chain and the belt pin, given to Mrs. Thompson by her father, the late Stephen Paull, on her wedding day and worn at that time, both having many associations.
The guests were ushered from the entrance hall to the parlor, by John Thompson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Thompson of this city, the hall and the parlor being carried out in yellow. Passing to the living room, which was charming in pink, with quantities of magnificent flowers, the guests were ushered by the Misses Hazel Thompson and Helen Pierpont to the dining room in which a buffet luncheon was served, those assisting being the Misses Mabel Pierpont and Elsie Thompson. The dining room was attractive with a bower of flowers, the handsome table in lace over yellow having as a center decoration a large basket of roses and pussy willows, tied with cold and silver tulle. During the afternoon coffee was poured from the silver service by Mrs. W. S. Mack and Mrs. A. H. McLaughlin; while during the evening those who poured were Mrs. John M. Raymond and Mrs. C. B. Moore. The luncheon included little cakes which were unusually attractive in yellow, in heart form, the napkins and all accessories including the gold and white china carrying out the color scheme. Later favors of yellow satin tipped with gold hearts were distributed during the afternoon by Mrs. Isadore Gold smith and in the evening by Miss Mary Raymond. In the library where the gifts were displayed, Mrs. Bert Thompson presided over the prettily bound and lettered guests' book, in which each registered. The guests, practically all of whom knew each other so well, stayed for an informal visit, enjoying the pretty home, not forgetting the blue room on the second floor in which were to be seen the handsome blue coverlid, spun and woven so many years ago in the family of Mr. Thompson, the chair in which he was laid upon his appearance in the world and many other souvenirs of former days. Many other reminders of former days were to be seen in the pink room including the furniture which pretty Mary Paull received from her father on her wedding day.
It is quite impossible to do justice to the gifts received, which included many gold coins, many pieces of flat silver, among other things a charming gift book, containing an original poem from Mrs. Laura Blythe, the painting having been the handiwork of Miss Hazel Dieterich. There was a quaint song book, containing old time songs, charmingly bound, given by Mrs. Sarah Belden and F. M. Annis, old neighbors years ago in the country.
The Woman's alliance sent handsome flowers, as did the Roy Thompsons of Minneapolis. Beautiful blossoms were sent by Sugar Grove friends. The House and Garden club was represented by wonderful azalias, the Odd Fellows association of which E. W. Thompson is president, sent roses. John W. Gates, a cousin, sent an unusually handsome gold bon bon spoon, engraved. The R. B. Thompsons and the George Bretts of Chicago and Minneapolis sent a gorgeous set of gold nut cups, the past presidents of the Woman's Relief corps sent a lovely silver cream pitcher and sugar bowl. A fine poem, tied in yellow satin, "The golden wedding day" was sent by M. C. Sawyer. A fine umbrella was sent by Mr. and Mrs. Elmer P. Thompson of Keswick, Iowa. Lovely daffodils in a pot were sent by the Tirzah lodge of Rebekahs, while Minnehaha Rebekah Sewing society sent a handsome spoon. The Minnehaha Rebekah lodge sent a gold clock of great beauty. One of the finest of the gifts was the gold tea set sent by the Thompson Transfer & Storage company. Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Benton of LaGrange, old neighbors when out at Grouse Corners, sent a beautiful vase. Mrs. Lizzie Petty Snow of Los Angeles, formerly the Sugar Grove teacher, sent a handsome pin. Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Jamieson of Saginaw sent some fine silver, as did the William Thompsons of Iowa, cousins, the latter in the form of spoons. The Rey Freymans of Copley, Ohio, sent spoons, as did D. W. Crawford. One of the most attractive of the gifts was the book "History of Rockingham Church, Vermont," associated with the Thompson family, sent by H. A. Thompson. A record "The Old Grey Bonnet" was a gift, with its story of the golden wedding day. These are but a few of the magnificent gifts Mr. and Mrs. Thompson on Sunday, receiving a fine box of oranges from Mr. and Mrs. H. B. Douglas who are wintering in Florida.
BACK -- HOME
©K. Torp and Genealogy Trails