Illinois Genealogy Trails - Finding ILlinois Ancestors
©Illinois Genealogy Trails History Group


Frank Cox
A prominent and successful insurance and loan broker of Mattoon, Ill., was born in Moultrie County, Ill., December 16, 1853, the son of Hiram and Susan (Turney) Cox, the former born June 26, 1826, in Kaskaskia, Ill., and the latter a native of Paris, Ky. Frank Cox's paternal grandfather, John Cox, married Hannah McCutcheon, of North Carolina, and his maternal grandfather, Thomas Turney, wedded Sarah Jones, both of Paris, Ky. Hiram Cox located in Mattoon with his family in 1867, was a farmer by occupation and one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Mattoon. His death occurred February 12, 1900, his wife having passed away in 1865. In early youth the subject of this sketch attended the public schools of Mattoon and afterwards pursued a course in the University of Illinois. Previous to engaging in his present business Mr. Cox taught school for eight years, and was for three years Principal of the West Side School in Mattoon. Mr. Cox has been identified with the insurance and loan business for twenty years, and has fully demonstrated his superior business ability. In all his transactions he has been conscientious and upright and has won the confidence and respect of those who have had dealings with him. On August 3, 1881, Mr. Cox was joined in wedlock with Jennie Hughes, who was born in Brookville, Ky., and received her mental training in the schools of Mattoon. Five children reunited from this union, namely: Irving H., Arthur H., Frank A., R. Clarence and S. Marie. The parents of Mrs. Cox moved to Coles County and located in Mattoon in 1867. Mr. Cox adheres to the faith of the Presbyterian in Church, and politically is a Republican. In fraternal circles he is identified with the A. F. & A. M. and the K of P. [Source: "History of Coles County, Illinois"; By Charles Edward Wilson, 1905]

Jean Etienne de Bore
JEAN ETIENNE DE BORE, also a creole, was born at Kaskaskia, in the Illinois territory of Louisiana, on December 27, 1741. His father, Louis de Bore, was of an old Norman family. His mother was Therese Celeste Carriere de Mont Brun. His grandfather, Robert de Bore, had been one of the counselors of Louis XIV, director-general of the postoffice department and one of the stewards of the king's household. As was the custom in the colony, Jean Etienne de Bore's parents sent him to France to be educated. He received the training of a military school, a circumstance which may account for the self-reliance and firmness of character which were to render his name forever memorable in the history of Louisiana. On leaving college, Mr. de Bore entered the celebrated corps of the Mousquetaires, or Guardsmen. As says Mr. Gayarre, no one could be a Mousquetaire who was not of well-established nobility. A private in the Mousquetaires had the rank of captain, and a captain of the Guardsmen held the rank of lieutenant-general. Mr. de Bore was a Mousquetaire up to 1768, when he came to Louisiana on a leave of absence to see about his property in the colony. He must have found Louisiana in a dreadful condition. It was the very year that Laferniere and his patriotic friends had tried to establish a republic in America, and failing in this, had been cruelly put to death by General O'Reilly. Mr. de Bore finding no inducement to stay in the colony, which was no longer French, but Spanish, returned to France in 1769. He then received from Louis XV his commission as captain of the second company of cavalry of the "Mousquetaires Noirs." He married in 1771, the daughter of Mr. Destrehan, ex-treasurer of Louisiana, and his wife having some property in the colony, he resigned his commission as captain of cavalry and returned to Louisiana, which at that time was very prosperous under the mild rule of the Spanish governors who had succeeded O'Reilly.  Mr. de Bore settled in the parish of St. Charles, on a plantation which belongs now to Mr. Norbert Louque. He exchanged it all with Mr. Piseros for a plantation situated in which was then the territory of Orleans. It became afterward a part of the parish of Jefferson, and forms now that part of the city of New Orleans which extends from the inferior limit of the City park, or Exposition ground to the upper limit of Rickerville. Mr. de Bore's plantation comprised the land where are now Burtheville, Bloomingdale and Hurstville. It is necessary to enter into these details in order to know exactly in what part of Louisiana sugar was made for the first time. In 1794 Mr. de Bore, as all the planters in the colony, had lost a great deal of money by the failure of the indigo crop. He therefore resolved to undertake the cultivation of the sugar cane, being confident that sugar could be made in Louisiana. He bought all the cane of Messrs. Mendez and Solis and planted them on his plantation, notwithstanding the opposition of his friends, of his relatives, and especially of his wife. Mr. Morime, from the Antilles, who was then in New Orleans, found Mr. de Bore in his field planting his cane, and told him that he had come to tell him that he could not succeed in manufacturing sugar in Louisiana, because the climate being so cold the cane would never be ripe enough to produce a sufficient quantity of saccharine matter. Mr. de Bore listened to him attentively and made the following characteristic reply: "I am very much obliged to you, sir, for your kindness in trying to induce me to abandon an undertaking which you believe to be rash and injudicious, but, as you see, my sugar-house is being built, my canes are almost all planted; I have incurred two-thirds of the expenses necessary for this year's crop; therefore I would lose much more by abandoning my cane than by attempting to grind them. Besides, I am convinced that I am right and that I shall succeed." Mr. Morime seeing that Mr. de Bore's decision was irrevocable, asked him to take him as his sugar maker. The offer was accepted. In 1795 Mr. de Bore ground his cane, and after a moment of anxious suspense the sugar maker, says Mr. Gayarre, cried out: "It granulates." Those two words rang throughout Louisiana, and in a short time fields green with the cane, and sugar houses in full operation were to be seen in Louisiana. Mr. de Bore made with his first crop 100 hogshead of sugar. He sold his sugar at 12½ cents a pound and his molasses at 50 cents a gallon, and made a profit of $12,000. Etienne de Bore lived twenty-four years after his great success. He died on his plantation, leaving $100,000 to each of his children. He had born to him three daughters, who had married B.F. Le Breton, Pierre Foucher and Mr. Gayarre, the father of our great historian, Charles Gayarre. Mr. de Bore was appointed mayor of New Orleans by Laussat, when Napoleon took back Louisiana from Spain. He resigned, however, when the colony became a territory of the United States. [Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]

JOHN RICE JONES, who was probably the first English-speaking lawyer in the Illinois Territory, was born in Wales in 1759. He was educated at Oxford University in medicine and law, and came to Philadelphia in 1784, where he counted among his friends Dr. Benjamin Rush, Dr. Benjamin Franklin, and Meyers Fisher. He practiced law in Philadelphia a year or so, then came over the mountains and down the Ohio. At the Falls of the Ohio he found George Rogers Clark making up an army to go against the Indians on the Wabash. He volunteered and the expedition reached Vincennes in 1786. Here Mr. Jones was stationed for the next four years in a Government capacity. In 1790 he went to Kaskaskia, where he remained eleven years. He then returned to Vincennes, where he received the appointment from Governor Harrison of attorney-general for the Indiana Territory. In 1808 he returned to Kaskaskia. At this time he is said to have been very rich. He did William Biggs, who had been captured by the Indians on the Wabash, a great favor by securing his release and helping him to return to his family at New Design. John Rice Jones was the father of several sons, all of whom were men of considerable prominence in Western affairs.(ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by KT)

Biography of Pierre Menard

Biography of John W. Menard

JAMES SHIELDS is one of the most romantic characters in the history of Illinois. He was born in Ireland in 1810, immigrated to the United States in 1826 and died at Ottumwa, Iowa, June 1, 1879. He commenced the practice of law at Kaskaskia in 1832; was elected a member of the Legislature in 1836 and state auditor in 1839, and associate judge of the Supreme Court August 16, 1843. From this record it may be easily inferred that Shields did not have much opportunity to devote him self to practice.
At the commencement of the Mexican war he was appointed brigadier-general, served throughout the war and was severely injured at Cerro Gordo and Chapultepec. He was mustered out on July 20, 1848, and the same year received the appointment of governor of Oregon Territory, which office he resigned upon his election as United States Senator from Illinois, December 3, 1849. His opponents immediately after his election as senator claimed that he had been naturalized October, 1840, and hence the nine years required by the constitution to render him eligible to a seat in the United States Senate had not elapsed. The point was good and Shields' seat was declared vacant, but on a called session of the Legislature, convened after the period of nine years had elapsed, he was again elected and served until the expiration of his term, when he removed to Minnesota and was elected United States Senator by that state, May 12, 1858. He served in this capacity until May 3, 1859, when he removed to California. At the outbreak of the Civil war be was in Mexico superintending the operation of a mine, but went immediately from there to Washington, where he was appointed brigadier-general of volunteers, August 19, 1861. He remained in active service until March 28, 1863, when he resigned and returned to California, but soon thereafter removed to Carrollton, Missouri, where he entered upon the practice of law. During his residence in Missouri he served as a railroad commissioner, and was a member of the Legislature in 1874-79, in which latter year his death occurred.(ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by KT)

HENRY SCHELLENGER, deceased; is a native of Erie Co., Penn., and was born in 1815; his parents came West to Kaskaskia, Ill., in 1819; he learned the trade of blacksmith in St. Louis; in 1835, came to Wisconsin and settled at Wiota, La Fayette Co., and in 1840, came to this county; began mining and engaged in farming. In 1840, he married Miss Martha Bigelow, a native of New York State; Mr. Schellenger died Aug. 29, 1872, leaving three sons and six daughters; Mrs. Schellenger is still living in Platteville.[Source: "History of Iowa County, Wisconsin: Containing an Account of Its Settlement, Growth, Development and Resources..."; Chicago: Western Historical Co. April, 1881. Tr. by K. Mohler]

JESSE BURGESS THOMAS was a very prominent man in early Illinois history. He is said to have been a descendant of Lord Baltimore. He came from Maryland to the West as early as 1803. In that year he settled in Indiana Territory, and in 1805 was speaker of the Territorial Legislature. In 1809 he was a delegate in Congress from the Indiana Territory, pledged to secure the separation of Illinois from the Indiana Territory. This he accomplished and while in Washington secured the appointment from President Madison to one of the judgeships of the newly organized territory. He resided first in Kaskaskia, but later joined the other territorial officials at the county seat of "Elvirade," not far from Prairie du Rocher. Later he moved to Cahokia, where he built and operated a wool-carding machine. He was a delegate to the constitutional convention that made the Constitution of 1818 and presided over that body. He was one of Illinois's United States senators from 1818 to 1829 and took an active part in the passage of the Missouri Compromise. He was reelected to the United States Senate in 1823 and served till 1829. He later moved from Illinois to Ohio and died at Mount Vernon, Ohio, in 1853. (ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933, Transcribed by KT)


©Illinois Genealogy Trails History Group