Knox County Illinois
Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group
Genealogy and History

Obituaries and Death Notices

Frank O. Johnson
Frank O. Johnson of Galesburg died at 10:30 Monday evening, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Daniels, 2911 3/4 avenue from tuberculosis, with which he had been afflicated for three years.  He was born in Sweden 51 years ago.  A widow and five children survive at Galesburg.  The body was sent to that city for burial. [Rock Island Argus (Rock Island, Ill.), June 28, 1911, Page 2]

Peter Kistler
died: April 11, 1909
Death of Peter Kistler
Aged Citizen After a Lingering Illness Died Sunday at Home of His Daughter, Mrs. Wm. Stremmel
Peter Kistler, an aged and well known citizen of Rushville, died Sunday evening at 5:10 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Wm. Stremmel. Deceased had been in ill health the past year suffering from a cancer and his death was not unexpected.
Short funeral services were held Tuesday morning at the home of Wm. Stremmel, conducted by Rev. A. P. Stover and Rev. C. S. Smith. The body was taken to Galesburg Tuesday noon for interment, accompanied by the following relatives: Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Stremmel and son Orlen, William Kistler, George Miller and George Peacock.
Peter Kistler was born the 12th day of February 1825, in Lauingen, Bavaria, Germany, where he spent his early days. He was a soldier in the army, taking part in the Hungarian war. He loved to relate his experiences telling how he and two comrades were caught as spies, imprisoned and sentenced to be shot. As they were being taken to the scene of the execution they were confronted by a general. The convicted men fell on their knees, supplementing God to deliver them from their awful death. this act touched the heart of the general who granted their pardon, thus showing the wonderful power of God when put to the test.
The decease came to America in 1852 and settled in Dubuque, Iowa. On Nov. 1, 1854, he was united in marriage to Wilhelmina Braenline, of Bavaria, Germany, and soon after became a resident of Galesburg, being one of the early settlers.
For about forty years Mr. Kistler has been a consistent member of the M. E. church. He was a mechanic in the Brown Glow? shops for many years, always faithful and energetic, living up to what he considered the highest principle, - honesty.
Two daughters and three sons were added to the home, Mrs. Anna Luikart, of Norfolk, Neb., who preceded her father to the world beyond exactly one year to the day; B. F. and John Kistler, of Galesburg, and Mrs. Sophia Stremmel and W. G. Kistler, of Rushville.
In 1904 Mr. and Mrs. Kistler celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with a host of relatives and friends, both apparently in good health and enjoying themselves. On Sept. 29, 1906, Mrs. Kistler died suddenly breaking up the home and leaving her husband to spend his last days in loneliness. Since that time he has made his home with his daughter, Mrs. Stremmel in Rushville, who has spared neither time nor effort in making his declining days pleasant and homelike.
About a year ago he was operated on for cancer which soon reappeared causing his death. For the past four months he has been confined to his bed, demanding constant attention day and night. During this time he has endured intense suffering always bearing it with fortitude and courage, ever ready and waiting, often wishing that he might be taken to meet his beloved wife and his Maker.
The end came very peacefully on Easter Sunday at 5:10 p. m. with a call from the risen Lord, "Well done good and faithful servant." [Rushville Times, April 1909 - Submitted by Robert C. Kuhmann]

Joseph F. Latimer

Joseph Franklin Latimer was born in Cedar Township, Knox Co., Illinois, April 15, 1840, the fourth son of Jonathon and Nancy West Latimer. His ancestors left England and settled in New London, Conn., in the year 1630. His great grandfather, Jonathon Latimer was Colonel of the seventh Connecticut regiment during the Revolutionary war and several of his sons served under his command. His mother, whose maiden name was West was the daughter of Jacob and Barsheba Polk West, natives of North Carolina. Jacob West was a soldier in the War of 1812, under General Jackson, and his wife was a cousin of President James K. Polk.
Jonathon Latimer, the father of Joseph F. moved from Tennessee, first to Sangamon County, Ill., in 1835 and then in Section M. in Cedar Township, where Joseph F. Latimer was born. As a boy he attended the district school and worked on his father's farm in the summer, until his entrance in Knox college in the fall of 1861.
In the spring of 1863, he enlisted in the 73rd regiment of Illinois Volunteers but was not mustered in on account of a severe attack of lung fever. In 1864, he was granted leave of absence by his college, and with two of his classmates organized a company for the 137th Reg., Ill. Volunteers in which regiment he was commissioned second lieutenant and served until October, when he was mustered out of the service. He was graduated from Knox college, in the class of 1864, returning to Cedar township after the war. He was elected in 1865 as Principal of Cherry Grove Seminary, which position he held for two years and until his election to the Professorship of National Science at Lincoln University, this state. Failing eyesight forced him to resign this position at the end of a year's work, and he then returned to Cedar Township and devoted his time to the care of his farm, and the raising of fine livestock. On November 25, 1872, he was married to Joanna Humiston. Two children were born to this union, Mrs. Latimer departed this life September 3, 1914.
In politics, Mr. Latimer was a Republican and an ardent admirer of Lincoln. But placing country above party he always voted national issues as his conscious dictated. In years 1870 to 1872 he was a member of the 27th Illinois General Assembly, and four years later was again chosen to the Legislature, serving two terms. In the 30th and 31st assemblies he filled the important chairmanship of the committee on township and county organization, discharging the duties of that position in a manner that gave him creditable and state wide recognition. Among other offices - Commander of Post 80, G.A.R., Mayor of Abingdon, school treasure of Cedar township for thirty-nine years, director and vice president of the First National Bank, President of Agriculture Society for 10 years, and for two years chairman of the board of supervisors, president of Illinois Jersey Cattle Club, president of Old Settler's Association. As a breeder of Jersey cattle he was known throughout the United States, and his herd was uniformly successful in state and national competition. Early in life he joined the Cumberland Presbyterian church and was one of the principal movers in changing that organization with the present Congregational church of Abingdon, taking an active part as an officer of the church and being Supt. of the Sunday School a member of years, and always maintaining his interest in the church and of all for which the church stood.
He was also a member of Abingdon Lodge 184, I. O. O. F and a member of Illinois society of the Sons of the American Revolution. As a man and neighbor he was loved, honored and respected for his lofty ideas of true, noble and uprightness. Very few men of this neighborhood loved books more than he did, or read as much and along such various lines as he. And with it all he was approachable by any one and of any social station in life.
At the beginning of this year he sold his beautiful country house just out of Abingdon and moved to town to be as he said - nearer to his church and to other interests of his declining years.
Since March, he was practically an invalid, but on July 3rd, had seemingly regained sufficient strength and attended commemoration of our national Natal day, with his beloved comrade of the G. A. R. in their hall in the city building and again on the 5th, he was one of a large member of friends at a picnic given on his former farm and seemed to enjoy it to the fullest. But when his pastor called on him, just a week ago, he found him in bed, not well at all. And yet although his friends had knowledge of the fact that his ailment was a heart disease, his end came as a shock, when it was said that on Wednesday afternoon, July 13, at 3:30 o'clock Uncle Joe Latimer had passed away.
With him at the time of his departure was his faithful and much beloved housekeeper, Miss Watson and his only daughter, Mrs. Lillian H. Shaufelberger of California, who with the son, Mr. Guy Latimer of Chicago, two brothers, two grandchildren and more distant relatives and a large host of friends will miss him in days to come.
Funeral services were held from the Congregational church at 2:30 o'clock, Sunday afternoon in charge of Rev. H. R. Booch, who paid a high tribute to the life of the deceased and brought a message of comfort to the family and friends. The song service was very sweetly rendered by a quartet composed of Miss Olive Harris, Mrs. Clyde Hickson, Edwin Crumbaker and Carl Johnson with Mrs. J. M. Shipplett at the organ.
The floral emblems were profuse and very beautiful, were in charge of Mrs. C. E. Downs, Mrs. A. E. Werts, Mrs. F. J. Graves and Miss Winifred Miller. The casket bearers were Glenn Dunlap, W. J. Dunlap, H. R. Crouch, R. P. Baird. W. B. Dunlap and Orion Latimer. Interment was made in the Cherry Grove Cemetery.
The members of the Post 80, G. A. R. and members of I. O. O. F. attended the funeral in a body. (Galesburg Evening Mail, July 18, 1920, Abingdon Page, submitted by Phyllis Long)

Mary Latimer

DEATH OF MRS. W. M. LATIMER -- Mother of Captain Latimer Passes Away -- For Years a Resident of Abingdon
Word was received this morning by Captain F. W. Latimer of this city that his mother had passed peacefully away at 6 o'clock Tuesday evening at Northfield, Minn. The cause of the death was a gradual decline after an illness contracted twenty-five years ago and from which she had been a sufferer ever since, being unable to walk without assistance. Mrs. Latimer was born in Binghamton, N.Y., in 1835, and would have been 70 years of age had she lived until the 22nd of February. Her name was Mary E. Humiston, and her early childhood and womanhood was spent on the home place four miles north of Abingdon, where her parents settled when coming to this country in 1844. Here she married in 1855 to William M. Latimer, who died in 1872. Before her marriage Mrs. Latimer was enrolled in the classes of Knox college, but was unable to complete her course. Since the death of her husband she has resided with her children, for the last three years being with Mrs. Gray of Northfield, Minn. She united with the Methodist church of Abingdon when a young woman and has never severed the allegiance of her early years. She is survived of her immediate family be a single sister, Mrs. Helen Little, of Chicago, mother of the famous war correspondent and press man, Richard Little, of the same city, and three children, James W. Latimer, of Chicago, Mrs. Mary E. Gray of Northfield, Minn., and Captain F. W. Latimer of this city. The funeral services will be held at the home of Mrs. Emily Chesney of Abingdon, an aunt of the children. The time will be 3 o'clock on Thursday. Interment will be in Cherry Grove Cemetery. (The Galesburg's Daily Register, Page 1, Wednesday, February 15, 1905, submitted by Phyllis Long)

William M. Latimer
William Marion died at Elgin, Illinois Insane Hospital, Saturday, December 27, 1873, aged 41 years. He spent the majority of his life in and around Abingdon. His body was brought here to Abingdon, Thursday for entombment. The service was at Methodist Episcopal church of which he was a member. Rev. S. W. Brown of Galesburg assisted by Rev. A. J. Jones of this place. (The Galesburg Republican, unknown date, submitted by Phyllis Long)
Levi F. Lawrence
died at St. Mary's hospital, March 12, 1922, at 2 p.m. of pneumonia. He was born at Montreal, Canada, Oct. 27, 1843(or 48). He was married on Oct 25, 1875, to Miss Agnes Myrtie Henderson of Ripon, Wis. Three sons survive him, Lester F. Lawrence, William S. Lawrence and Guy L. Lawrence. Four grandsons, four sisters and one brother, S. F. Lawrence of Chicago, also survive. He was a member of the M. W. A. Camp No. 667 and prominent in Local Painters' Union No. 39, being a charter member. He was president of the union for two terms and delegate to the national convention. He was a member of the First M. E. church.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the First Methodist Church with the Rev. Ralph Wakefield officiating. (Galesburg's Evening Mail, March 13, 1922, contributed by Janet Durst)

Lera Lawton

AVON — Mrs. George Lawton, 77, Avon, died today at 7:15 a.m. at her home.
The former Lera Whalen was born Feb. 3, 1894, at Mystic, Iowa. She married George Lawton on Oct. 11, 1914, at Centerville, Iowa.
Survivors include the husband; two daughters, Mrs. R. W. (Evaughn) Frakes, Peoria, and Mrs. Gerald (Rosetta) Holloway, Avon; two grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; a sister, Mrs. Ed (Doris) McCants, and a brother, Harry Whalen, both of Galesburg.
Mrs. Lawton moved in 1925 to Galesburg, where she resided for 18 years. Later she moved to Havelock, Neb., and then to Avon. Mr. and Mrs. Lawton celebrated their 57th wedding anniversary this year. Mrs. Lawton was a member of the Havelock Eastern Star lodge, Avon Rebekah Lodge and Women's Relief Corps 121 at Galesburg, and was past president of the Ladies Auxiliary of Burlington Railroad Veterans.
Funeral will be Monday at 10:30 a.m. at the Corman Memorial Home, Avon. Burial will be at Oak Lawn Memorial Gardens, Galesburg. Visitation will be Sunday from 7-9 p.m. at the funeral home. (Galesburg Register-Mail, unknown month and day, year 1971, contributed by Helen Anderson)

Lovina Light

YATES CITY- Mrs. Lovina Light passed away at her home, one mile west of Yates City, Monday morning at 4:45. The funeral was held from the house Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Young, the Presbyterian pastor of Yates City officiated. The intermant was at the Yates City cemetery. The deceased was a daughter of Jerius (sic, Darius) and Eliza "Onderkirk" (sic, Ouderkirk) Miller, and was born March 4, 1841. She was married to Joseph Light during 1858 in Elba township. The family are all living as far as they know and appear as follows: Mary Virginia Murphy, Emma, William Franklin, John Darius, Florence Rider Rufus, Gertrude Long, David Archibald and Robert Cleveland and the husband will feel her loss. Mrs. Light's death was rather sudden. She was taken with a severe attack last week but was recovering from it until Sunday evening when she became worse. (There is also a very similar obit in the Nov 1, 1901 Republican-Register) (Galesburg Weekly Mail, October 31, 1901, submitted by Todd Walter)

Gust Lindgren
FORMER RESIDENT KILLED BY TRAIN Gust Lindgren, 68, of Galesburg, Ill., Caught Between Freight Cars at Galva, Ill. (Galesburg Press)
Galva, Oct. 22. - Gust Lindgren, 68, of Galesburg, was killed last night while trying to cross the "Q" tracks between two cars, while the eastbound freight was switching. He was a former resident of Galva and had been visiting since Tuesday at the home of Oscar Gyllling. He announced that he thought he would go over to the Foursquare church for service Friday night. When he approached the railway crossing just south of the water works, the train was switching and he tried to cross the tracks between two cars, but was caught and carried some 30 to 40 feet east of the crossing where his body was found by two Mexican youths who were waiting in their car until the train was across the crossing. They immediately notified Mort Swanson, night policeman, and the body was taken to the Johnson undertaking parlors where later in the evening an inquest was held. Mr. Lindgren was born in Sweden. He was united in marriage with the daughter of the late Mrs. Anna Sundberg of Galva, residing on the Mrs. Sundberg fram about six miles west of Galva, leaving there some twenty years ago going to Winthrop, Minnesota, moving back to Galva and remaining here until about five or six years ago then moving to Galesburg where he is survived by his wife and three daughters; another daughter survives in Ottawa and a son in Winthrop, MINN. He was a brother-in-law of Joe Sundberg, and Charles Sall of Galva, of Claud Nichols residing west of Galva, of Charles Ostrom, also residing west of Galva, of Walter and August Sundberg and of Charles Johnson of Galesburg. [Winthrop News, Nov. 10, 1932, page 1 Winthrop, MN]
  Nels August Lofgren
Funeral services for the late Nels August Lofgren were held Wednesday afternoon at 2'oclock at the Swedish Lutheran Church. At 1:30 o'clock short services were held at the home at which time the paster, Rev. Frank A. Gustafson, read Psalm 121 and led in prayer, which followed by singing of "Rock of Ages" in Swedish by a male quartette composed of Messra, Victor Bloomquist, Hary Olson, H. S. Peterson, and Edward Lundeen. Those from out of town attending the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Albert Peterson and daughter Mamie; Mr. and Mrs. Emil Peterson and son LaVern, Cambridge, Oscar Bogren, Mrs. Gust Lundgren, Woodhull; Mrs. John Carlson, Alexis; Mr. and Mrs J. A. Bogren and daughter Inez, Galesburg; Mr. and Mrs. Frank E. Peterson, Woodhull; besides a large number of old neighbors from northwest of here. Nels August Lofgren was born at Tveta, Sweden, July 1, 1859. He was bapitzed and confirmed in Sweden. He came to America in 1880. April 8, 1886, he married Miss Clara Peterson of Andover, ILL. To this union were born five children, two of whom died in infancy. In 1886 they moved into this community where they have become well known. He became a member of the local Lutheran Church in 1899, where he remained a member until his death. The family moved to town shortly after Christmas to enjoy their declining years. A few weeks ago he became seriously ill with pneumonia and for some it appeared that he would recover, but suffered a relapse and passed away March 25, 1917, at 9 p.m., making his age 57 years. He leaves to mourn his departure his grief stricken wife; two daughters, Mrs. Ella Conrad, near Altona, and Dora at home; one son Edwin, near Altona; four grandchildren, and a large circle of friends.
[Unknown newspaper, 1917 - Sub. by Stephen Burke, who adds: Note: It does not say in the obit that he was buried in Oneida Cemetery, Oneida, ILL. He was married in Andover, ILL, and had many relatives in Henry County, ILL. Among them were my grandparents - Mr. and Mrs. Frank E. Peterson of Woodhull, as listed in the obit.]

Alice M. Martin
GALESBURG _ Alice M. Martin, 73, of 1268 N. Cedar St. died at 1:41 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 31, 1991, at St. Mary Medical Center. Born Jan. 21, 1918, in Galesburg to Oscar and Anna Gustafson Benson, she married Floyd R. Martin on Oct. 11, 1937, in Canton, Mo. He survives along with her mother, Anna Benson of Galesburg; four sons, Leon and Merrill, both of Monmouth, Alvin of Bushnell and Ivan of Raritan; one daughter, Mrs. Ron (Bonnie) Woodruff of Iowa City, Iowa; 13 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; eight stepgrandchildren; and five stepgreat-grandchildren. One brother and one grandchild preceded her in death. She was a member of Grace Lutheran Church in Knoxville. Services will be at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at Hurd-Hendricks Funeral Home, Knoxville, the Rev. Michel D. Clark officiating. There will be no visitation. Burial will be in Maquon Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association.
[Journal Star (Peoria, IL), November 1, 1991 - Sub. by A FoFG]

Infant of Julius Maxey
(Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, February 4, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)
GILSON - The baby of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Maxey died at their home near here last Monday night. The little one was about seven months old, and had been sick for some time. It was buried Wednesday at Haynes cemetery. The parents have the sympathy of the entire community. (There is no stone for this burial)

Edward R. McDermott
Abingdon: Edward R. McDermott, brother of John McDermott, local depotmaster at the "Q" died Friday at Chicago. Mr. McDermott was at his bedside when the end came. The funeral was held today from his residence to the Holy Family church, where requiem high mass was celebrated. The remains will arrive in Galesburg tonight and the burial will be in St. Augustine. He is survived by his father and mother and a brother, Charles and a sister Kate, of St. Augustine, and a brother Frank of California; another brother in Wisconsin and a sister, Mrs. Jerry Sullivan of Monmouth. He also leaves a wife and a child 4 years old. (Galesburg's Weekly Mail, Jan. 14, 1904, submitted by Todd Walter)

Freda McGirr
Freda E. Bearmore, a daughter of F. C. and Sarah Bearmore, of Maquon, was born November 17, 1886. She was married to Glen McGirr, a farmer now living east of Maquon, on May 14, 1904, and to this union two children were born, who survive her. They are Mrs. Paul Kelso, who is at present living on the McGirr farm, and Mrs. Homer Bruegger, of Eagle Rock, Calif. There is also a granddaughter, Freda Marie Kelso.
Other relatives who survive are her parents, four sisters, Mrs. Ralph White, of Whitesville, N.J.; Mrs. Mark Villin, Coronado, Calif.; Genevieve Bearmore, of Washington, D.C.; Marian Bearmore, who is at the home in Maquon, and a brother, William, who is located in Moline.
Funeral arrangements have not been made and will not be announced until word from all the relatives is received. (Galesburg's DAILY REGISTER MAIL Thursday, January 12, 1928, submitted by Todd Walter) Read more
Maquon Cemetery inscription:
Freda E. McGirr 1886 - 1928
Killed by Speed Fiend Jan 11, 1928

Wilda McKinty
Our people were greatly shocked and pained to hear of the death of A. Wilda D. McKinty, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John McKinty, of Elba. She has been failing in health for some time past on account of an ovarian tumor, which had impaired her health to that extent, as to become alarming. On examinationby Dr. Sutton, of Peoria, a skilled physician and surgeon, with Dr. Hensley, of this place, it was decided to remove the tumor. The operation was attended to by Dr. Sutton of Peoria, and Dr. Connelly of Farmington, and Dr. Hensley of this place, Monday. Tuesday, at 11:40 o'clock, she died. She was 27 years of age. The funeral was held from the Presbyterian church, Thursday, June 29, at 11 o'clock a.m., conducted by Rev. D.M. Ross. The interment was in the Yates City cemetery. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, June 29, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Death of Ex-Gov William McMurtry
Last Monday in the town of Henderson, the earth closed over the remains of one who had a brief quarter of a century ago wielded a power in the state affairs of Illinois equaled by few men of his time. Had Lieutenant-Governor McMurtry died twenty-five years ago the occurrence would have throbbed from corner to corner throughout the state. Today it caused only a passing notice outside of the immediate circle in which for half a century he lived and from which he has passed to the other shore.
Early Career
Lieutenant-governor William McMurtry was born in Crawford County, Indiana (My Note: He was "married" in Crawford County, Indiana but born in Mercer County, Kentucky - don't know who gave this erroneous information) where they resided about eleven years. In November, 1829 they came to Henderson Township, Knox County and settled. The family drove their stake in what was then a wilderness and there the subject of this sketch has buffeted the waves of time and fought the battles of life for forty-five years and was finally borne to his last resting place from the spot where they first settled.
Political Life
Mr. McMurtry has had a political career fraught with all the uncertainties. He was a leader in the Democratic party and has held many offices of local prominence, vaulted into the state legislature and finally reached within one step of the highest office in the state. He was first elected to the House of Representatives in 1836 and was re-elected in 1838 serving four consecutive years in that capacity. In 1841 he was elected state senator serving there for four years. In 1848 he reached his highest prominence in political preferment when elected Lieutenant-Governor under Governor French. He was also one of the state commissioners for building the penitentiary at Joliet and during the war was commissioned Colonel of the One Hundred and Second regiment of Illinois Infantry.
His Political Power
Although unostentatious in his address while at home, mixing indiscriminately with his constituency and ranking familiarly as one of the boys, Governor McMurtry would wielded a powerful influence in Springfield and his opinions were sought by the leading men of the time. Talking with some of his contemporaries in the days when he was at the zenith of his political career, we learn that either in his seat as a Representative and Senator, or outside of that body altogether, he was a power in himself and accomplished Herculean tasks in the matter of state legislation by his indomitable energy and singular influence among men.
He was not an educated man. On the contrary, it is said that the circumstances of his early frontier life had been of such a rough and wild character that he had not even learned to read when he reached man’s estate and was taught by his wife after marriage. Brought up as it were in a howling wilderness, he afterwards spent several years as a flat-boatman on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, away from all refining influences and had none of the advantages of education that favor the present generation. But he was possessed of a native eloquence that took hold upon his hearers and caused them to look up to him as one of the first and foremost men of the day and generation in which he flourished. He was a man of few words, but every word carried with it weight and meaning.
His Last Sickness
The deceased was a man of powerful physique and wonderful vitality, but ___ ____ _____ _____ (text missing off copy) to the great Leveler, Death. The immediate cause of death was Dropsy and for some time past, the deceased suffered beyond expression. He could neither recline nor stand up but was obliged to continually sit and could only sleep by resting his head upon pillows. It was relieved of earthly suffering on Sunday last.
The Funeral
The funeral took place Monday at Henderson and was very largely attended by people from the neighboring country. There were some seventy carriages in the procession besides many people on horseback and on foot. The services were solemnized with Masonic honors. G. C. Lamphere, of this city, acting as Worshipful Master. The remains were interred in Rice’s burying ground about two miles northwest of Henderson and within a quarter of a mile of the first ground cultivated in Knox County. [Galesburg, Illinois, April 17, 1875, contributed by 3rd Great Granddaughter, Janice Chastain Lund]

A young man of the name of Mead was killed in Galesburg on Thursday in attempting to couple together two cards. [Sangamo Journal / Illinois State Journal, Volume 11, Number 220, 9 March 1859]

Mazy Medill
Mrs. Mazy Medill, who died at Galesburg, was brought to this city for burial on Tuesday.  Services were held at the Congregational church and she was interred in Ottawa Avenue Cemetery.  She was the mother of Geo. Medill, the well known boot and shoe salesman.  [The Ottawa Free Trader (Ottawa, Ill.), July 20, 1889]

John Milam
London Mills - Jim Milan (sic, Milam) died at Howard Thurman's Wednesday night, and was buried at Bennington Friday. (He does not have a stone. Bennington is now known as Thurman Cemetery.) (Galesburg Weekly Mail, Thursday, February 22, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Thomas Milburn, one of the respected colored citizens of this city, died Sunday morning at the Galesburg hospital January 18, 1909, of Brights disease. He had long been a resident of Galesburg and his home was in the Fourth Ward. He was upwards of 50 years. He leaves a brother, Samuel Milburn, of Washington, D. C., Miss Fannie Milburn of Indianapolis, Ind., a half sister, Mrs. Kidd, of this city.The funeral service will be held Wednesday afternoon at the A. M. E. church. (Galesburg's newspaper, Jan. 18, 1909, contributed by Jan Durst)

Luther Moats
Hermon - Luther Moats was born at Wilmington, Clinton county, Ohio, May 14, 1842, and died at his home Friday, October 18. He moved with his parents to Knox county, Illinois in 1862. They settled on a farm one and a half miles east of Hermon. He enlisted in the Seventh Illinois Volunteer cavalry, but was taken sick while stationed at Springfield and was brought home, never being able to return again. He was married to Catharine Potts in 1863. To them were born three children, Mrs. Nettie Reece, Mrs. Nora Thurman and Gerson Moats, who with their mother, survive to mourn the loss. The funeral took place Saturday at the Christian church. J.J. Hunter officiated. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, October 25, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Betsy Moberg
The remains of Mrs. Betsy Moberg passed through here this morning from Stromburg, Neb., to her old home neighborhood in Copley township, where the funeral was held in Maxey chapel at 10:30 o’clock with Rev. R???? of the Victoria, Swedish M. F. church, officiating,
assisted by Rev. Mr. Potter, of the M. E. church of Victoria. Mrs. Moberg was injured by falling into the cellar at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Mary Burgman, near Stromburg, Polk county, Neb., Thursday, August 3. In the fall she sustained injuries on her head and broke three ribs in the region of her heart. She did not rally from the effects but died on Saturday, August 5.
Mr. Moberg was one of the old settlers of the county. With her husband and some children, she came to this country in 1849, going direct to Victoria. It is said that they were the first to come direct to Victoria from the old country, although there were settlers there from the Bishop Hill colony. She has since lived on a farm in Copley township until February 17, when she went to Nebraska to visit her son and daughter in Stromburg, and a sister in Lincoln. Mrs. Moberg was married in the old country. Her husband, Peter Moberg, died twenty eight years ago. At the time of her death she was 87 years, 7 months and 22 days old.
She was one of the first members of the Swedish M. E. church of Victoria and always maintained an active interest in the affairs of the church. She was a good woman, of sturdy character.
There survives her three children -- Betsey Westergren, of Copley township; Mary Burgman and Henry Moberg, of Polk county, Nebraska and a sister Mrs. Peter Burgman of Lincoln, Neb.. There are five children dead. The Polk county relatives accompanied the remains.
When they arrived here, the remains were taken to Horton’s undertaking establishment and the remainder of the trip was made in carriages. (Galesburg's Register Mail, August 8, 1899, contributed by Mike Osler)

Robert Montague
WATAGA - Robert Montague, Saturday, December 31, aged 82 years. He was born in Virginia in 1816, came to this county in the 50's. The funeral services were held at the M.E. church Monday, January 2, at 1 pm. The church was filled with those who wished to pay respects to their old neighbor. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his death. He was buried in the Barefoot Cemetery. (Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, January 7, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Florence Moulton
Moulton, Florence, Infant, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Moulton, died Thursday at the home of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Moulton, West South Street. Services by Reverend J. B. Worrell. The remains were brought here from Riverside, California.(Galesburg's Republican-Register, June 4, 1887, contributed by Pat Thomas)

Harriet E. Moulton
Moulton, Mrs. H. C., widow of Billings Moulton, died at the home of her son, Earnest S. Moulton at Riverside, California, 25 August 1904. She went to California last October and since made her home with the son. She had been ill with ailments peculiar to old age. Her sons, Arthur and Earnest have started for Galesburg with the remains and the funeral service will be held in this city. Harriet E. Smith married Mr. Moulton in Springfield, Massachusetts where he accepted a position with C. B. & Q. He was for five years yardmaster. He was on the Galesburg City Council. They were members of the First Baptist church and were earnest workers. They had four children, Frank L. prominent citizen of Chicago, Eugene W., Earnest S. for so long CBQ ticket agent, now of Riverside, California, Arthur B. of Denver. She was the daughter of J. F. and Erpercia C. Smith of Granville, Massachusetts. She was born 20 April 1825. (Galesburg's Republican-Register, August 27, 1904, contributed by Pat Thomas)

Mrs. Billings Moulton
Moulton, Mrs. Billings, married at Springfield, Massachusetts, 23 December 1847. In 1855 they moved to Galesburg where she lived until a year ago. On leaving here moved to Princeton, Illinois where Mr. Moulton was at the time the terminus of CBQ and at the end of the year returned to Galesburg where he died. She was an untiring worker for the church and she assisted in the building of the Baptist churches of this city. The first one on the corner of Cherry & South, then on Cherry & Tompkins. After the church was destroyed by fire, ten years ago and was much interested in building the new edifice. Before marriage she taught school in Massachusetts. She was a member of the Cleo Club of Galesburg. She had 5 sisters, 6 brothers. There survive two brothers, George A. of New Bedford, Massachusetts, Fred Smith of St. Louis, sisters, Mrs. A. E. S. Picket of Cleveland, Ohio. Mrs. Maria L. Bancroft died in this city, 26 June 1904. She leaves four sons, A. B. of Denver, E.W. of Elbert, Colorado, E. S. of Riverside, California and numerous other relatives. Funeral service was this afternoon with Reverend J. Y. Atchison, the pastor of the Baptist church, in charge. The burial was in Hope Cemetery. (Galesburg's Republican-Register, August 31, 1904, contributed by Pat Thomas)

Nellie Murphy
Maquon - Miss Nellie Murphy died at her home northeast of Maquon Sunday morning, October 14, of consumption. Miss Murphy was a highly respected lady and will be sadly missed. The funeral occured Tuesday in Galesburg and the remains were interred in the Catholic cemetery. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, October 25, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

A.P. Newberg
Galesburg, Ill - Body of A.P. Newberg, prominent farmer, who had just sold his property, found hanging to rafter in his barn.  Suicide. [The Day book. (Chicago, Ill.), 17 May 1913

Isaac A. Parker
Class of 1853 - ISAAC AUGUSTUS PARKER. A.M.; Ph.D. Buchtel Coll., 1892. D. 31 Dec., 1825, So. Woodstock, Vt. Prof. Anc. Lang. Lombard Univ., 1858-69; also Prof. Greek Lang. and Lit., 1869-1908. D. 7 Oct., 1912, Galesburg, Ill. [Source: Dartmouth College Necrology, 1911-1912, Hanover, N.H. - tr. by K. Mohler]

Composed on the death of the two eldest daughters and a son of Zimri and Betsey Pond, who died at Chicago, on their journey from Cornwall, VT to Henderson, IL [very long poem omitted] [The Voice of Freedom., December 05, 1844]

Mary Caris Price
Mary Caris PRICE was born in Rootstown, Portage County, Ohio September 2, 1808.
She married Dr. George PRICE, a native of Somerset County, Pennsylvania, March 9,
1826, at Rootstown, Ohio. Dr. PRICE was the son of William PRICE and Catherine BUSSINGER. Mary Caris PRICE died Sunday, January 22, 1899 in New Albany, Indiana.
Eleven children were born to Dr. and Mrs. PRICE: Mrs. Dorleska S. MITCHELL, d. 4 September 1890 Vallonia N. PRICE, d. 27 October 1818 Marshall Elliott PRICE, d. 10 October 1832 Marshall Frederick PRICE, d. 2 July 1883
Oscar Fitzalen PRICE, d. in Galesburg, 7 August, 1897
Curtis E. PRICE, d. 9 November 1896 Aldula G. THOMSON, New Albany, Indiana Angela R. PRICE, d. 8 February 1843 Hershel Caris PRICE, d. 7 October 1877 George Koster PRICE, d. 13 April 1855 Mary Bell PRICE, d. 13 December 1855
The only surviving child is Mrs. THOMSON. The family moved to Illinois and Abingdon in 1848.
[Daily Republican Register, Galesburg, Illinois, Wednesday, January 25, 1899, Pg. 8, Col. 3]

The family burial plot in the Abingdon, Illinois cemetery lists the following on the gravestones:
PRICE, George, b. Dec. 22, 1803, Penn; d. Abingdon July 6, 1881
Mary Caris, wf of George, b. Sept. 2, 1808; d. 22 Jan. 1899
Herschel C., b. Dec. 26, 1843 Ohio; d. Abingdon Oct. 7, 1877
Minnie Clevenger, wife of H. C., b. Feb. 4, 1844; d. Oct. 26, 1907 in Kansas Mary B., dau. of Geo. & M.; d. Dec. 13, 1855, age 11 mos, 13 days George K., son of G. & M., d. April 13, 1855, age 2 y, 8 mos, 13 ds.
[Republished in ISGS Quarterly XVI: 2; Summer, 1984 transcribed by K. Torp]

Theophilus O. Redman
DOUGLAS - Theophilus O. Redman passed away in Elmwood April 17, and was laid away in the Douglas cemetery Wednesday afternoon. He was 76 years old. His wife, Mary, was buried here November 29, 1874, and he has also two daughters and two sons in the cemetery. (Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, April 22, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Anna Richardson
Oldest Colored Resident Dies Sunday Evening
Mrs. Anna Richardson, the widow of B. E. Richardson, and the oldest negro resident of Galesburg, died at 7:25 Sunday evening in her home, 778 West Knox street, at the age of 91. Mrs. Richardson was the oldest member of Allen chapel, A. M. E. church, of which she was an ordained stewardess, and the oldest member of Patron chapter No. 18, O. E. S.
Anna Shamburgh was born April 18, 1845, in St. Louis, Mo., where she grew to womanhood. Later the family moved to Hannibal. Mo., where she was married to Brose Elbert Richardson of Galesburg on November 25, 1870. To this union eight children were born. Of these three sons, Samuel, Elbert and James and one daughter Mary, preceded her in death. Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Laura Beckler, Bessie Richardson and Mrs. Adah Freese, and one son, Elmer, all of this city. There are a number of nephews and nieces.
Funeral services will be held at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon from Allen chapel, A. M. E. church. Friends may call at the home, 778 West Knox street, Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. (Galesburg's Register Mail, July 6, 1936, contributed by Janet Durst)

Mariah Emily Richardson
Negro Woman, 99, Dies Today
Mrs. Mariah Emily Richardson, colored, over 99 years old and said to be the oldest resident of Galesburg, died at 7:50 this morning in St. Mary's hospital of complications due to old age. Her home was at 1217 Mulberry, where she and her husband settled when they came to Galesburg around 1875.
Mariah Emily Murray was born in slavery in Ralls county, Missouri, on December 17, 1835, almost a century ago, She was married here in 1859 to Ralph Richardson, and two children were born to them in slavery before the Civil War. Mr. Richardson served in the Union army, and the family was freed from slavery issued by the Emancipation proclamation issued by President Abraham Lincoln.
After the war the family moved to an Illinois farm, and later came to Galesburg, Mr. Richardson working as a teamster. He died in 1895, and since then her daughter, Mrs. Ellen Waters, and grand-daughter, G. Juanita Brown, have kept house. Mrs. Richardson has belonged to Allen chapel, A. M. E. church, for years. In former years she wa a member of other organizations and of the D. A. R.
Three children were born to the couple, Mrs. Mary Ellen Waters, who died in 1933, Elijah P. Richardson of Peoria and A. L. Richardson, named after President Lincoln. There were six grandchildren, Thomas R. Waters, Ray Richardson, Edward Richardson, deceased, Jefferson Richardson, and G. Juanita Brown, all of Galesburg, and Fuller Richardson of Peoria. The grandson deceased was killed in an auto accident last summer, but the news of his death was never conveyed to his grandmother, as it was felt the shock would impair her health. None of the grandchildren has children. Mrs. Richardson also leaves two nephews, Charles and Herman Murray of Omaha, Nebraska, several grandnieces and grandnephews, and a great-grandniece.
The funeral will probably be held at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon from Allen chapel, A. M. E. church with the pastor, the Rev. P. S. Dick, officiating. Burial will be in the Linwood cemetery. Definite announcement will be made tomorrow (Galesburg's newspaper, April 22, 1935, contributed by Janet Durst)

Mary Ann Searles Richardson
Mary Ann Searles Richardson, colored, died Saturday afternoon, March 11, at 5:36 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. E. J. Skinner, 710 West Knox street, of old age and a complication of diseases.
She was the daughter of Frances and Polly Searles and was born in Middleville, Ga., Nov. 18, 1831. She came to Galesburg in 1846, making her residence at Galesburg for 76 years. When she came here, Galesburg was just a small hamlet and she often recalled the time when the first steam cars passed through the city.
She was married to Samuel Richardson in 1850. At that time there were only three colored families in Galesburg. Nine children were born to this union. Her husband and five children have preceded her in death. She had been a widow for 46 years.
The surviving children are: Mrs. E. J. Skinner, Mrs. Josephine Mason, B. E. Richardson and Frank Richardson. Eleven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, and one sister, Miss Charlotte Searles also survive. She was converted many years ago in the state of Alabama. She united with the Second Baptist church under the pastorate of Rev. Mr. Murff.
Funeral services will be held at the Second Baptist church, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock and burial will be in the Linwood cemetery. (Galesburg's Evening Mail, March 13, 1922, contributed by Janet Durst)

Nancy L. Godfrey Richardson
Died at her home in Knoxville, Illinois, Thursday morning, January 23, 1885, Nancy L. Godfrey Richardson.  Mrs. Richardson was born in Knox County, May 4, 1831, and was united in marriage to James L (typo). Richardson, July 11th, 1851.  She has been a consistent member of the M.E. church for 16 years.  She leaves a husband, two children, two brothers and one sister.  Her children are in Arkansas, and were not permitted to attend the funeral of their mother. The service was held at the church with Rev. J. Rugh.   ["The Republican Register" of Galesburg, February 4, 1885 - Submitted by Janette Richardson Perryman who adds  "The death certificate says burial at Knoxville, Illinois with Paluquisl(hard to read) of Knoxville"]

Mrs. Walter Richmond
Abingdon ? - Mrs. Walter Richmond died at 4 o'clock Wednesday morning. She was quite old. Stomach trouble was the cause of death. No arrangements as yet have been made for the funeral. A daughter, Mrs. Agnes Richmond Sullivan, lives in Galesburg. She leaves a husband and Mrs. John Young, another daughter, who live in Abingdon. She was widely known. (Galesburg Weekly Mail, January 25, 1900, submitted by Todd Walter)

Mary Rine
Mary Ann Rine was born in Pennsylvania, and died Nov. 19 [1903] at 9 a.m. at the home of Eli Baer [Eli is the son of Susannah and Rev. David F. Baer and brother to Dr. P. W. O. Baer], three miles north of Henderson. She had been in poor health for several weeks, but not bedfast. The end came quickly while sitting in her chair.
She came to this State with her parents in the early twenties, settling near Henderson on what is now known as the "Blue farm" [The house and land are on the road just north of the cemetery. The house is a little west on that road. The original house is gone. New house built, but foundation looks old.] Here, she resided until the death of her parents, when she went to live with her sister, Mrs. D. F. Baer, where she has resided over 40 years until her death. Next to father and mother, Aunt Mary was revered in this home, and no home gathering was ever complete without her.
She was a devoted friend to the family, sharing their sorrow as well as their joys. As it has often been said no task was too hard, or she too weary to do for those she loved so well.
Aunt Mary was a passionate lover of flowers, devoting many hours to their care. It was always a pleasure for her to share her flowers with her friends and many a sick room has been brightened by her flowers.
She was converted when but a young girl and joined the U. B. church, and has lived a consistent Christian life all these humble way for the cause she loved so well.
Two sisters, Mrs. Nancy Hammond of Viola, Mrs. Ellen Brown of Knoxville, and a host of nephews and nieces are left to mourn her loss.
The funeral services were held from the home Saturday at 1:00 p. m., conducted by Revs. Mr. Essex and Shinn of Cuba, Ill., taking for a text Psalm ___90, "So teach us to number [article crumbled here] (Unknown newspaper and date, submitted by Brenda Patterson)

Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Robertson
RIO - The funeral services of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Robertson were held Saturday, Jan. 28, at the Baptist church. Services were conducted by Rev. S. H. Humphrey of Galesburg, of the Church of the Presbyterians. The remains were laid to rest side be side in the Baptist cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Robertson were loved by their family, loved by their neighbors and all whoever came in contact with them. (Galesburg Weekly Republican Register, February 4, 1899, submitted by Todd Walter)

Martin Robertson
Horse's Kick Kills Martin Robertson
Aged Man Killed Last Friday---Killed But A Few Moments After The Accident.
Martin Robertson, aged 67 years, feeble from many years suffering from consumption, was almost instantly killed at 11:30 this afternoon at this residence, 341 South Academy Street, dying a few moments after being arrived into the house.
Mr. Robertson had started to lead the horse across the front yard to the junction of Monmouth Boulevard and South Academy streets, which land is employed for pasturage purposes. The animal was blind and when the walk was reached the horse stumbled Mr. Robertson was holding the rope near the bit and when the horse fell, it is thought that the man was struck by the fore forefeet of the animal.
Mrs. A. O. Short, who resides across the street, saw the aged man fall. She rushed out of the house and by that time Messers. McClinock, Allen and E. F. Green had reached the scene. By this time Mr. Robertson was breathing with difficulty. In a few seconds after he was removed into the house he breathed his last. Dr. Franing was called and responded hurriedly but was of no avail. Life had been extinct for some time.
Mr. Robertson resided at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Webber. He has a son who is in partnership with Mr. Webber in the rug manufacturing business on the public square. [Galesburg Weekly Mail, July 30, 1908 - Sub. by FoFG]

H. Rowles
Sudden Death Of County Pioneer--- H. Rawles, Recently Celebrated Wedding Of 62 Years
DE LONG---JULY 29, 1908—Special to the Mail—H. Rowles, one of the oldest residents of this part of the county, died here early this morning the end coming unexpectedly. Mr. and Mrs. Rowles celebrated the 62d anniversary of their marriage on the second of this month, the event being the most happily honored by their many relatives and friends. [unknown newspaper, July 29, 1908 - Sub by Foxie Hagerty]

Death of C. N. Russell
C. N. [Charles Neptune] Russell, for forty years a resident in or near Knoxville, died this morning early at his home on East Main street in Knoxville. Mr. Russell was an old settler highly respected in Knoxville and vicinity, Having a wide circle of friends. Two months ago he fell in the postoffice and almost expired there. A physician chanced to be on hand and by heroic measures, saved his life. Mr. Russell has been an invalid for many years, though he was able to be up and around. He is a retired farmer. He leaves a wife and four children. (Galesburg's Register-Mail, Saturday, Sep. 21, 1901, contributed by Mike Osler)

Russell-Nepton [Neptune] funeral was held in Knoxville Sunday morning from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Phillips on East Main, Rev. Mason, pastor of the Presbyterian church in the city officiated. Burial in the Russell cemetery 4 miles east of Knoxville. (Galesburg's Republican, Sep. 23, 1901, contributed by Mike Osler)

David Russell
HERMON- David Russell came to Fulton Co. in 1837, settling near Canton and later living at Hermon. The later years of his life he spent with his daughter, Mrs. E.D. Sherwood of London Mills and his son Clay Russell of Hopkins Mo. At the latter place he died Oct. 17, 1905. Had he lived until Jan. 1 he would have been 100 years old. His wife preceded him to the other world about twenty-five years ago. He leaves one son, one daughter and several grandchildren. Mr. Russell was an exempliary man, living a quiet life but always ready and pleased to converse on all the topics of the present and past, having a remarkable memory and retaining all his faculties until the last. The funeral was held from the M.E. church in Hermon Thursday by Rev. Essex. The interment was in the west side cemetery. (Galesburg Daily Republican-Register, Friday, Oct 27, 1905, submitted by Todd Walter)

G.W. Russell
Passes Away at His Home on the Avenue.
Was a Pioneers of the Pioneers, Having Come to the Far West in 1852---Fine Qualities That Won for Him the Esteem of a Large Circle of Friends
Died at his residence on Warm Springs Avenue, at 12:35 p.m. yesterday after a long and painful illness, George Whitfield Russell, aged 71 years, 10 months and 5 days. Deceased was one of Idaho's oldest and best beloved pioneers. He was born January 21, 1830, at Galiopolis, Galia County, Ohio. In 1837 he removed with his parents to the state to the state of Illinois, Where he remained until 1852, when he crossed the plains to western Oregon. He was in Oregon and California four years, and returned to Illinois in 1856, where he was married to Miss Mary S. Baird on the 2nd of December of that year. In 1862 he again crossed the plains with his wife and three children and settled near Salem Or., where he resided with his family until 1864, when he removed with his family to Boise.
For a short time he kept the Idaho Hotel in Boise, when he purchased a place known as the halfway house, midway between Boise and Idaho City, where he was well and widely known and highly esteemed as a genial and accommodating host and one of the truest and best of pioneers. From the halfway house he returned to Boise and settled in his present home on the avenue, where he has resided continuously since 1869.
Mr. Russell was a man of mose (sic) active temperament, and throughout his long life was always industriously engaged in one or another of the many occupations and enterprises that fill up the busy life of the pioneer. He was everywhere known as a man of the strictest integrity, one whose simple pledged word was stronger than any bond that could be drawn. He was esteemed and beloved by all who knew him as one of the most loyal of friends and kindest of neighbors. In every relation of life he was a bright and edifying example and in all good deeds left a record of which the greatest of earth might be proud.
For more than a year he had been in failing health, and during the four months preceding his demise had been a close prisoner to his house most of that time being confined to his bed, his last illness being neuralgia or muscular rheumatism. But slight hopes were entertained of his recovery from the start and day by day that hope grew fainter. Throughout his long illness which he bore with Christian resignation and great patience, no word of complaint or murmering escaped him. He was patient and ever cheerful till the last, always glad to receive the visits of his long time friends and neighbors and talked interestingly of the past.
He was a faithful, useful and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the consolations of which communion he passed to his final reward.
Mr. Russell's Christianity and piety were of the practical humanity-saving kind, while his life and his last moments showed that he was in no way lacking in the highest spiritual requirements of the religion he professed.
Deceased leaves a wife and five children to mourn his loss. His children, all of whom are living and married, are Henry (Harry-J. M.) Russell, William Russell, Mrs. R. A. Sidebotham, Mrs. G. W. Lewis, Mrs. H. S. Dorman.
Thus has passed away another of the bright golden links that bound the present with the past. The brave pioneer, the affectionate husband and father, the honest and useful citizen, the kind neighbor and the faithful and earnest Christian has left the scenes of earth. Our sorrow is great, but we sorrow not as those who have no hope.
The chamber where the good man meets his fate is previleged beyond the walk of virtuous life, quite on the verge of Heaven?
The funeral will be held Saturday at 1 o'clock, from the family residence on Warm Springs avenue. Interment being at Morris hill. (Idaho Daily Statesman, Dec. 06, 1901, transcribed by Bryce Butler, submitted by Jeani Mills)

James H. Russell - Pioneer Scout Passes Away
James H. Russell, one of the early pioneer settlers of the northwest and a member of the Rube Robbins scouts during the Idaho Indian wars passed away at 5 o’clock last evening at his home in this city at the age of 51 years.
In the state of Illinois, near the town of Knoxville, James Harrison Russell was born September 9, 1857. When 6 years of age, he in company with his parents, crossed the plains, going to Salem, Oregon, where they made their home until 1864, when they removed to Boise. Mr. Russell was married to Jennie (sic) Adams on August 12, 1877. He removed with his family to Julesburg, Colo., in that year 1885.While a resident of that state, Mr. Russell organized the first Odd Fellows Lodge in Julesburg. After a residence of two months in Colorado, he was appointed deputy sheriff of Weild County, holding that position until the county was divided, when he was appointed sheriff of the new county of Sedgewich (sic) by governor Cooper. He held this office during the remainder of his residence in that state. In 1892 the family returned to Boise, where they have since resided. During the years 1877-8 Mr. Russell was with Colonel Orlando Robins as one of a body of scouts during the Indian wars. A widow and seven children survive the deceased. The children are Mrs. Jessie Gamble of Boise, Mrs. Lulu Roberts of Portland, Mrs. Mary Williams of Goldendale, Wash., George E. Russell of Boise, Harry and Jennie Russell, of Boise. Besides these, there four grand children. The funeral will take place from the old home, 1035 Warm Springs avenue, tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock. The funeral will be under the auspices of Ada lodge No. 3 of the Odd Fellows of which the deceased was a member. (The Boise Pioneer, August 25, 1908, contributed by Jeani Mills)

Genealogy Trails History Group

Copyright ©Genealogy Trails