Lake County Residents
Ephraim H. Baker
EPHRAIM HUDSON BAKER, born Leon, N. Y., Nov. 17, 1830. Entered the preparatory department 1852; graduated from the classical course in college 1858, and from the seminary 1861. In 1861-2 2d lieutenant, 1st lieutenant and captain in U. S. army, but was honorably discharged in July, 1862, on account of disability; Sept. 1, 1862, married Ann J. Whitney, of Oberlin and preached from 1862-63 at West Mill Grove, O.; 1863-67, at Marseilles, Ill.; 1868-71, at Wyanet; 1871-75, Mendota; 1876-78 at Waukegan; 1878-79, at Henry; 1879-83, at Altona and Victoria; 1883-86 at Sutton, Neb.; 1886-88, at Syracuse, Neb.; and from 1888 until his death he lived at York, preaching for several years at Clay Center and Grafton. Died at York, March 18, 1898. [Class of 1858] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Leonard Loomis Bennett
BENNETT, Leonard Loomis, Owatonna. Banker. Born Oct 7, 1839 in Plainfield Ill, son of Robert and Sallie Loomis (Kent) Bennett. Married 1863 to Arabella Fidelia Brown. Educated in dist schools Lake county Ill; Wauconda Ill Academy; graduated Rush Medical College Chicago 1862. Practiced medicine until 1873; established Nat Farmers Bank Owatonna and has been pres to date; senior member L L Bennett & Sons. Member Masonic fraternity and Knights Templar. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Mary I. Dye
Mrs. Mary Irene Clark DYE, reformer, born in North Hadley, Mass., 22nd March, 1837. Her parents were Philo Clark and Irene Hibbard. Her father moved his family to Wisconsin in Mary's infancy. When she was ten years of age, the family removed to Waukegan, Ill. After removal to Illinois, she was under private tutors for two years, when she entered an academy. When she was sixteen years old, there came severe financial reverses, forcing her to abandon a plan far a full course in Mount Holyoke, Mass. At that time, persuaded by a brother in charge of the village telegraph office, Mary learned telegraphy and assumed his place, having full care of the office for two years. There were but few women operators at that early day. Mrs. Dye is the only woman member of the Old Time Telegraphers' Association. She became the wife of Byron E. Dye in 1855. Of three children born to them, two survive, a daughter, and a son recently admitted to the bar. Mrs. Dye has been a widow many years and has lived in Chicago, Ill., entering into the various lines of work which the conditions of a large city present to a benevolent and public-spirited woman. Since her children have outgrown her immediate care and concern, she has devoted her time almost exclusively to philanthropic and reformatory work. She was among the first to perceive the need of the Protective Agency for Women and Children, assisting in its establishment in 1886 and serving as secretary for the first three years, and is still an active member of its board of managers. As a charter member of the Illinois Woman's Press Association, she has great satisfaction in the work accomplished for pen-women through its efforts. She is a member of the Chicago Women's Club. With the Margaret Fuller Society, established for the study of political problems, Mrs. Dye did good work. Since the formation of the Moral Educational Society, in 1882, she has been its secretary. She was among the first of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union women to see and teach that the ballot power is an essential factor in the furtherance of temperance work. When the free kindergarten system was inaugurated, Mrs. Dye's pen did good service in the interest of that charity. The placing of matrons in police stations enlisted her sympathy, and her efforts contributed much to the granting of the demand. Her persistent work toward the establishment of the summer Saturday half-holiday is known to only two or three persons, and the same is true of that labor of love, extending over many months, creating a public sentiment that demanded seats for the shop-girls when not busy with customers. Mrs. Dye believes in individual work so far as practicable. In impromptu speeches she is fluent and forcible, and on topics connected with social purity, the obligations of marriage and parenthood she is impressively eloquent. As a speaker and writer on reform subjects she is dauntless in demanding a settlement of all questions on the platform of right and justice, manifesting the "no surrender" spirit of her ancestral relative, Ethan Allen. Religious as she is reformatory in her nature, Mrs. Dye seeks the highest estimate given to spiritual things. ("American Women", Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.)
William James Elsbury
Mr William James Elsbury, 47, was born in 1865 in Stanmoor, near Burrow Bridge, Somerset. He was the son of James and Mary Ann Elsbury. He was the brother of Sarah, Mary Jane and John. He emigrated to Gurnee, Lake County, Illinois in 1884 where he subsequently acquired a 105 acre farm. He married an American woman called Eliza and had a family of 4 children, 3 boys (one of which was Lloyd) and a girl, Bernice. The 2 eldest boys worked with him on the farm.
On 20 November 1911 he returned to Somerset on his own, to assist his younger brother, John in the winding up of his recently deceased father's financial affairs. He was due to return to Gurnee in the March of 1912, but on hearing of the maiden voyage of Titanic he decided on the new ship as his means of returning to America. He boarded the Titanic at Southampton, travelling 3rd class. He was lost in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
There is a memorial to James on a gravestone in the Taunton area. [Source: http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/799/]
Hon. Elijah M. Haines, deceased. By the life of this worthy citizen has the county been advanced, the State honored and society blessed. Without educational advantages, or wealth or influential friends, he arose by native genius and persistent application to a place among the strong men of Illinois. He sprang from the noted Haines family, the progenitor of which was John Haines who emigrated with the Rev. Edward Hooker from Essex, England, in 1633, and became Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Three years later, he went to Connecticut, was chosen the first Governor of that Colony and served each alternate year until his Icath in IGG4. Inheriting the ability and application characteristic of the family, Elijah Middlebrook Haines added a name that has made it even more glorious. He was born April 21, 1822, in Oneida County N. Y., and in his boyhood became inured to the hardship of farm life. When he was but a child, his father died and subsequently his mother again married. In 1835, the family emigrated to Illinois and after spending about a year in Chicago and Joliet, arrived in Lake County in May, 1836. A claim was taken where Hainesville is now located and the task of making a farm begun. The death of the stepfather left young Elijah the main dependence of the family. With a manliness seldom found in one so young, he faithfully performed his part. His education had been meagre but in connection with his labors he found time for reading and private study. Thus he prepared himself for teaching, and in the winter of 1841-42, became master of the first school in Little Fort. Subsequently he turned his attention to land surveying, and in this capacity his services proved of great value in opening roads, establishing lines, etc In 1846 he platted the village of Hainesville, which still bears his name. Soon after attaining his majority, Mr. Haines was elected School Commissioner for the county and a few years later was chosen Justice of the Peace. This gave him experience in a new field. His mind, with a natural legal aptitude, grasped readily all questions of law and after reading such text books as he could obtain he was admitted to the bar in 1851. The following year he removed to Waukegan. His experience as a Justice of the Peace led him to prepare a treatise on the law and practice of these tribunals which has become standard through-out the State. His "Township Organization," a compilation of the law with practical forms and instructions for putting it in working operation, has been the guide in the administration of town affairs, not only in Illinois but in many of the surrounding states. His consummate ability as an advocate soon brought him to the first rank in his profession. A man well posted in public affairs and an active spirit in caucus and convention, Mr. Haines was soon called by the popular voice to represent the people in the State Legislature. He was first sent to the lower house of that body in 1859 and for eight terms filled the position with credit to himself and with satisfaction to his constituency. During two terms, he was honored with the position of Speaker of the House of Representatives and his intimate knowledge and skillful application of parliamentary law gave him a prominence and influence that few speakers have enjoyed. His extensive knowledge, perfected by experience, was embodied in a work on parliamentary law that is recognized as among the highest authorities. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1869 and 1870, and had much to do with shaping our present organic law.
Mr. Haines' literary labors were quite extensive. The indigenous races of North America presented a wide field of research in which he took great interest. Studying the character, language and traditions of the principal tribes, he acquired by personal research a fund of ethnological and archeological information that furnished materials for an elaborate work on '"The American Indian" that condenses in a single volume of eight hundred pages a library of valuable knowledge on this interesting subject. He founded the Lake County Patriot, a weekly newspaper that has attained the respectable age of almost half a century, and the Legal Adviser, published in Chicago, the oldest law newspaper, with a single exception, that now sees the light in the republic in the village that bears his name. Mr. Haines was married August 18, 1845, to Melinda Griswold, daughter of Amos Wright, a branch of the family that gave to the commonwealth of New York her most eminent Senator, Silas Wright. She was born in Herkimer County, February 18, 1827, and died in Waukegan June 28, 1881, leaving two children, John Charles Haines, a lawyer of Seattle, Wash., and Frances, now the wife of Andre Matteson, who continues the publishing business left by her father. On April 25, 1889, the Hon. Elijah M. Haines passed to his rest. His death was a calamity to Waukegan and to the commonwealth in whose legislative council he has served so ably and so long. Few men have left upon the record of their time a more enduring stamp of a strong individuality. Though in political opinions classed with the Dempcratic party school, Mr. Haines was more noted for personal independence than for party fealty. So great was his influence among men of all party rulors that in a strong Republican legislative district no adverse candidate of any party name was ever able to overcome his majority. A man of strong, positive and aggressive character, such was his astuteness and knowledge of men that be made himself the parliamentary commander of a legislative assembly without a party majority behind him. His phenomenal genius for parliamentary contest was equaled by few and transcended by none. In the practice of his profession he was not only just and honorable, but noble. He look more delight in seeing men settle, their difficulties without wasting their substance, in lawsuits than in securing a large fee. The cause of the poor and oppressed, he often espoused without the hope of pecuniary reward. His name will emblazon the pages of history and his memory will be enshrined in the hearts of future generations. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Album of Lake County, IL", pub. 1891 - Transcribed by K. T.]
Frank A. Little
FRANK A. LITTLE, a leading farmer of Centre township, Richland county, North Dakota, has his home on section 15. He evidences by the manner in which he carries on his business that he thoroughly understands the vocation in which he is engaged, and that success is attending his efforts towards acquiring a competence. Neatness and order prevail upon his place, which is managed, with regard to its cultivation, in a manner which reflects great credit upon the owner.
Mr. Little was born in Lake county, Illinois, November 11, 1855, and is the fourth in order of birth in a family of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters, whose parents were Asa and Deborah Ann (Palmer) Little. The father, who was a native of New York, died in Lake county, Illinois, when nearly seventy years of age, and the mother died in the same place when over sixty.
In the county of his nativity our subject grew to manhood, and there he was married, November 6, 1876, to Miss Jennie Colls. She was also born in Lake county, Illinois, August 23, 1856, and was a daughter of Professor R.K. and Delia (Gage) Colls, who died in that county, the former at the age of sixty-seven years, the latter at the age of forty-two. In their family were nine children, of whom Mrs. Little is the sixth in order of birth. Our subject and his wife continued their residence in Lake county until the spring of 1885, when they came to North Dakota and settled in Centre township, Richland county, where he has since carried on operations as a general farmer with the exception of three years spent in his native county. He now owns one hundred and seventy acres of well improved and highly cultivated land. [Source: "Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota", Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
John D. Pope
Pope, John Dudley, educator, lawyer and statesman of Lincoln, Neb., was born Dec. 28, 1856, near Waukegan, Ill. He has been a member of the Nebraska state senate. [Source: "Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography" by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914 -- TK - Transcribed by FOFG]
H. W. Shufeldt
H. W. Shufeldt is the owner of a fine farming estate near Friend in Saline county (Nebraska). He is one of the old settlers of this part of the state, for he cast in his lot with the primitive conditions of Saline county as long ago as 1870, and during the subsequent third of a century has been an efficient, honored and successful citizen in all departments of his activity. He has had a broad experience with the world, was from the first blessed with industry and energy, and has not been found wanting when the varied responsibilities of life have come to him. Farming has been his life’s work, and despite the many hardships and struggles through which the early Nebraska farmers had to pass he persevered to a successful culmination of his labors and is now one of the most prosperous and substantial men of Saline county.
He was born in Albany county, New York, March 10, 1849, of one of the good old families of the state. His father, Harmon Shufeldt, settled in Lake county, Illinois, in 1854. The Shufeldt family was represented in the wars of the country from the time of the Revolution to the Civil war, and in the latter conflict there were thirty soldiers of the name. Harmon Shufeldt married Mary E. Jones, a native of Philadelphia and of Welsh descent. Harmon Shufeldt died in Kansas, but his widow is still living, making her home at Barrington, Cook county, Illinois. There were nine children, six sons and three daughters, in their family, and the following three sons were soldiers in the Civil war: Henry, of the Fifteenth Illinois Cavalry; H. W., and Theodore, of the One Hundredth and Thirteenth Illinois Infantry, and who sleeps in a soldier’s grave at Vicksburg, Mississippi. The father of the family was a strong Republican, and by occupation was a farmer, and his widow is a member of the Baptist church.
Mr. H. W. Shufeldt, was reared on the Illinois farm, where he was taught the value of work, and his schooling was received in the country schools. In November,1863, he enlisted at Marengo, Illinois, in the Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry, under Captain Chapley and Colonel Hines. He was at Benton Barracks in St. Louis for a time, and was then all over southern Missouri, Arkansas, among the Iron mountains engaged in fighting Price’s, Marmaduke’s and Joe Shelby’s Confederate troopers, and this was among the most perilous and trying service of the entire war. From Fort Leavenworth he was ordered to Fort Dodge, Kansas, and then was on duty which took him within sight of Pike’s Peak, remaining in the west until December 1865. He received his honorable discharge at Springfield, Illinois. After his soldier life was ended he spent some time in northern Wisconsin, and in 1870 came out to south-eastern Nebraska. He took up a homestead in Saline county, and his first home here was built of lumber brought from Lincoln. Among the trials which he had to endure before reaching his present prosperity were the grasshoppers, hot winds, winter blizzards, droughts, and many others, but he never gave in to discouragement, and the victory has been on his side, as anyone can witness who passes by his fine estate of three hundred and twenty acres, situated a mile and a half from Friend. Here he has a nice modern residence, a commodious barn, a windmill to supply water for all purposes, a grove and orchard which form a beautiful background for his home, and everything in the best possible condition and evidencing the highest degree of progressiveness and thrift.
Mr. Shufeldt was married in Saline county, February 20, 1872, to Miss Margaret E. Love, who has been a devoted and inspiring helpmate to him for more than thirty-two years. She was born in Pennsylvania, being a daughter of Alexander U. and Lydia (Sherman) Love, who were early settlers of this part of Nebraska, and who are not both deceased, having been the parents of four sons and one daughter. Two children born to Mr. and Mrs. Shufeldt are deceased, and they have three sons living: Harmon and Alexander W., who are both residents of Saline county; and H. W., Jr., at home. Mr. Shufeldt is a Republican in politics, and is affiliated with the W. T. Sherman Post No. 130, G. A. R., at Friend, and has held office in the post. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. [Source: "A Biographical and Genealogical History Of Southeastern Nebraska", Vol. II. Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
Millard F. Washburn
MILLARD F. WASHBURN, one of the earliest pioneer settlers of Griggs county, has resided in the township which bears his name for the past twenty years, and has been intimately connected with the history and development of that region. He has a fine farm in section 20, in which section he first settled, and is now enjoying the fruits of his labors in North Dakota. Our subject was born on a farm in Lake county, Illinois, April 25, 1848, and was the youngest in a family of nine children, born to Seth and Ora (Warren) Washburn. His father was a native of Vermont, and settled in Illinois in the early 40s. Millard F. Washburn, at the age of seven years, went with his parents to Red Wing, Minnesota, where he finished his education and grew to manhood. He was engaged with the American Express Company five years, and with the Red Wing Milling Company three years, and in the spring of 1881 went to Griggs county, North Dakota. He filed claim to land with the government surveyors, who were then working in the county, and he has lived on the original claim continuously since. He has met with success as a farmer and now enjoys a good income. Our subject was married, near Cooperstown, in 1883, to Miss Maria Hussel, a native of St. Clair county, Michigan. Mrs. Washburn was born November 10, 1855, and was a daughter of Andrew and Maria (Klingler) Hussel, who followed farming in Michigan. Her father was a soldier in a Michigan regiment during the Civil war, and served two years. Mrs. Washburn was one of the seven children born to this worthy couple. Her father was a successful farmer, and is now living in retirement in St. Clair county, Michigan. Mr. Washburn is chairman of the board of supervisors of Washburn township, and has always taken an active part in local affairs, and the township of Washburn was named in honor of his services. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. [History and Biography of North Dakota. Transcribed by R. Hill]