Place Names and their Meanings
TOWN OF ANTIOCH.
This Town is composed of Township 46 north, Range 10 east, and that part of Township 40, north, Range 9, lying on the west, belonging to Lake County, being four miles in width, making the whole length of the Town 10 miles by 6 in width. It is bounded on the north by Wisconsin,on the east by Newport, on the south by Avon, and on the west by McHenry County.
This Town has within its borders. 18 Lakes, as follows: Dunn Lake, Stevens Lake, Grass Lake, Lake Maria, Channel Lake, lake Catharine, Silver Lake, Loon Lake, Deer Lake, Crapo Lake, Crooked Lake, Deep Lake, Sun Lake, Cedar Lake, Petite Lake, Handkerchief Lake, Bluff Luke, and Hastings Lake. There are also 4 other Lakes, which lie partly in other Towns, as follows: Overton Lake, Cross Lake, Fox Lake, and Hurlburt Lake ; most of the Lakes in this Town are equally beautiful with those of the other Towns in the County, and their average size is about the same. In addition to the foregoing Lakes, this Town is watered by Fox river, Otter creek, Sequoit creek, North branch of Mill creek, Hastings creek, and Petite creek. Upon Sequoit creek, there is an excellent saw mill, situated in the Village of Antioch, which was built by Mr. Hiram Butrick in 1839.
The first permanent claims of Government Lands made in this Town, were made in the month of December 1830, by D. B. Gage, Thomas Q. Gage, and Thomas Warner. The first house built within the limits of the Town, was built in April 1837, by D.B. and Thomas Q. Gage, near Sequoit creek, on the present site of the Village of Antioch. The second was built by Thomas Warner, near Loon Lake, in the month of June of the same year. These gentlemen had located themselves temporarily at Walker's bridge, on the Des Plains river, in Cook County. In December 1837 they followed up the river upon an Indian trail, to Mill creek, from whence they proceeded westward to Loon Lake, where they made them a claim and put up a log cabin, from whence, after a few days they proceeded on their return, by way of the Maquonago trail, which was a trail diverging from the great Milwaukee trail at a point near the mouth of Indian creek, where formerly had been an Indian Village, and running from thence north-westerly to an Indian Village in Wisconsin, called Maquonago.
They found the trail much obstructed by fallen trees, and being unacquainted with the route, their progress was slow, in consequence of which they came near freezing to death, but finally succeeded in reaching the house of Willard Jones, at Jones' point, which was about 13 miles from Loon Lake. The Village of Antioch—a thriving place-is situated in the northern part of this Town, on Sequoit creek. It was commenced in 1840, and contains at the present time about 300 inhabitants. It affords two good stores, a tavern and such mechanics as are needed in an agricultural country. It has also two lawyers, E. S. Ingalls and Wm. L. Stevens, as well as two excellent physicians, Doctors L. D. Gage and Daniel Lewis. In 1840 the writer was present and participated at the first fourth of July celebration held at this place, and it was such on occasion as he will ever delight to hold in pleasing remembrance, and no less can probably be said by all who participated. A good band of martial music was in attendance to give life and spirit to the occasion. Freeman Bridge acted as Martial of the day, and acquitted himself nobly. The Declaration of Independence was read by Hiram Butrick, and an excellent oration was delivered by Harrison P. Nelson, Esq. The original proprietors of this place were D. B. Gage, F. F.& P. Munson. and E. S. Ingalls. The first stock of goods opened at this place, we believe, was by F. F. Munson. The first tavern or house of entertainment was by D. B. Gage, and the first blacksmith shop was by E. F. Ingalls.
The early settlers of this Town were D. B. Cage, Thomas Warner, Thomas Q. Gage, Henry Rector, William Fagher, Robert Stalker, E. F. Ingalls, Loami Piersons, E. S. Ingalls, H.P.Nelson, H. Nichols, Charles O. McClellen, F. F. Munson, Parnell Munson, Leland Cook and Hiram Butrick.
The Gages, Warner and Rector, were from the State of New York; Fagher and Stalker, we believe, were natives from the Isle of Man; the Ingalls, Pearsons, Nelson and Mc-Clellen, were from New Hampshire. The first election held within the present limits of this Town, was in October 1839, under the old Precinct arrangement, which was for the purpose of electing officers for Bristol Precinct. This election was held at the house of Thomas Warner at Loon Lake, at which there were 16 voles cast—all told.
The following is a list of the voters. Thos. Q. Gage, D. B. Gage. E. F. Ingalls, Henry Rector; H. P. Nelson, Miles Shepard, Laomi Pearson, Chas. O. McClellen, Thos. McClellen, Oren Parker, George Rae,Thos. Warner, Hiram Butrick, J. B. Rice, F. F. Munson and Horace Butrick. —Laomi Pearsons & Oren Parker were elected Justices of the Peace, and John B.Rice and George Rae were elected Constables.
The first Town meeting, in this Town, under the present Township organization was held at the tavern of D. B. Gage, in the Village of Antioch. Dr. L. D. Gage was chosen moderator, and Eli S. Derby, clerk. The following is a list of the Town officers elected at this meeting: Harrison P. Nelson, Supervisor ; Eli Gage, Town clerk ; Thomas Webb, Assessor; John H. Elliott, Collector; Chas. Webb and Robert K. Colts, Justices of the Peace; Ira Webb, A. B. Paddock and E. C. Stephens, Commissioners of Highways; Robert Pollock, Overseer of Poor; John H. Elliott and Albert Webb, Constables. The number of votes cast at this Town meeting was 145.
The present Town officers of the Town, are as follows: Supervisors, Charles Webb ; Assessor, Geo. Hale; Town clerk, Delos S. Cook, Collector, S. S. Drum ; Commissioners of Highways, Myron Emmons, H Lincoln and Chester Ames ;Overseer of the Poor, John R. Arnold ; Justices of the Peace, Chas, Webb, L. D. Gage, and E. S. Ingalls, (Associate Justice of the County Court); Constables, John H. Elliott and S. S. Drum. The present County Surveyor, George Hale, resides in this Town. The number of votes cast at the last Town meeting was 169.
This Town is divided, into 11 school districts. The amount of township school fund, for Town 46, Range 10, is $1,400.
The post offices in this Town are Antioch, Hickory and Milburn. The office at Antioch was established in 1846, and Dr. L. D. Gage, appointed Postmaster. The office at Hickory was established, February 3d, 1848, and Chester Ames appointed Postmaster, who still continues in office. The office at Milburn was established, February 10th, 1848, and Robert Strong appointed Postmaster, who still continues in office.
The inhabitants of this Town are mostly from the states of New York and New Hampshire and are characterized for their industrious and temperate habits. This Town, for the rearing of stock probably possesses advantages over any other Township in the County—being so remarkably well watered, and at the same time possessing an unsurpassed quality of soil. The size of farms ranges from 40 to 320 acres. The assessment value of property in this Town for 1850, including both real and person was $88,904.00. The amount of tax --- the same was $1,744.51. [Source: "Historical and Statistical Sketches of Lake County, State of Illinois, by Elijah M. Haines, pub. in 1852" Transcribed by K. Torp]
TOWN OF AVON
This, as a Congressional Township is known as Township 45, north, Range 10, east of the 3rd P. M. It has within its limits 9 Lakes, as follows: Gray's Lake, Cranberry Lake, Taylor's Lake, Round Lake, Sand Lake, Slough Lake, the 3d and 4th of Gage's Lakes, and part of the 2d and a small portion of Long Lake.
Gray's Lake takes its name from William Gray, who lived for several years upon its borders, and was one of the early settlers of this Township. This Lake is about one half mile in length and one fourth of a mile in width, and lies in section 27 and 34.
Cranberry Lake is but a small pond upon the north-east quarter of section 28, which is nearly surrounded by a marsh, affording yearly an abundance of cranberries.
While this marsh was in possession of Mr. Samuel Gunwood, it is said that he usually gathered from it, annually about 200 bushels of cranberries.
Taylor's Lake takes its name from an individual of this name, who was the first settler in its vicinity, and we believe, the first in the Township. In 1835 he made a claim of land upon the north side of this Lake, where he built a log house, and continued in possession till 1837, when the premises passed into the hands of Leonard Gage, where he continues to reside at the present time. This Lake is about half a mile long and about one hundred rods in width, in section 21 and 22.
Round Lake, the third of this chain, is so named from its round and regular form. This Lake is about three-fourths of a mile across it, and is one of the most beautiful Lakes in the County.
Sand Lake lies near the north line of the Township, mostly in section two. It is nearly one half mile in length, and about one-fourth of a mile in width. It is so named from its sandy shores.
Slough Lake is but a small pond, lying in the south-east quarter of section three, and is so named from its being mostly surrounded by a marsh or slough. [Source: "Historical and Statistical Sketches of Lake County, State of Illinois, by Elijah M. Haines, pub. in 1852" Transcribed by K. Torp]
Highland Park - An incorporated city of Lake County, on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, 23 miles north-northwest of Chicago. It has a salubrious site on a bluff 100 feet above Lake Michigan, and is a favorite residence and health resort. It has a large hotel, several churches, a military academy, and a weekly paper. Two Waukegan papers issue editions here. Population in 1890 was 2,163; in 1900 it was 2,806 [Source: "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois", 1901 - Submitted by K. Torp]
Lake Forest - A city in Lake County, on Lake Michigan and Chicago & Northwestern Railway, 28 miles north by west from Chicago. It is the seat of Lake Forest University; has four schools, five churches, one bank, gas and electric light system, electric car line, water system, fire department and hospital. Population in 1890 was 1,203; in 1900 it was 2,215; est. 1904 - 2,800. [Source: "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois", 1901 - Submitted by K. Torp]
Lake Forest University, an institution of learning comprising six distinct schools, viz.: Lake Forest Academy, Ferry Hall Seminary, Lake Forest College, Rush Medical College, Chicago College of Dental Surgery and the Chicago College of Law. The three first named are located at Lake Forest, while the three professional schools are in the city of Chicago. The college charter was granted in 1857, but the institution was not opened until 19 years later, and the professional schools, which were originally independent, were not associated until 1887. In 1894 there were 316 undergraduates at Lake Forest, in charge of 40 instructors. During the same year there were in attendance at the professional schools, 1,557 students, making a total enrollment in the University of 1,873. While the institution is affiliated with the Presbyterian denomination, the Board of Trustees is self-perpetuating. The Academy and Seminary are preparatory schools for the two sexes, respectively. Lake Forest College is co-educational and organized upon the elective plan, having 17 departments, a certain number of studies being required for graduation, and work upon a major subject being required for three years. The schools at Lake Forest occupy 15 buildings, standing within a campus of 65 acres.
[Source: "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois", 1901 - Submitted by K. Torp]
Libertyville - A village of Lake County, on the main line of the Chicago & Madison Division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, 35 miles north-northwest of Chicago. The region is agricultural. The town has some manufactures, two banks and a weekly paper. Population in 1890 was 550; in 1900 it was 1,415. [Source: "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois", 1901 - Submitted by K. Torp]
Waukegan - the county-seat and principal city of Lake County, situated on the shore of Lake Michigan and on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, about 36 miles north by west from Chicago, and 50 miles south of Milwaukee; is also the northern terminus of the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railroad and connected by electric lines with Chicago and Fox Lake. Lake Michigan is about 80 miles wide opposite this point. Waukegan was first known as "Little Fort." from the remains of an old fort that stood on its site. The principal part of the city is built on a bluff, which rises abruptly to the height of about 50 feet. Between the bluff and the shore is a flat tract about 400 yards wide which is occupied by gardens, dwellings, warehouses and manufactories. The manufactures include steel-wire, refined sugar, scales, agricultural implements, brass and iron products, sash, doors and blinds, leather, beer, etc.; the city has paved streets, gas and electric light plants, three banks, eight or ten churches, graded and high schools and two newspapers. A large trade in grain, lumber, coal and dairy products is carried on. Population in 1890 was 4.915; in 1900 it was 9,426. [Source: "Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois", 1901 - Submitted by K. Torp]