La Salle County IL Biographies
Rev. HELMER T. HAAGENSON is a gifted educator and minister of the Lutheran Church, and well known in the Illinois River Valley, where he has been pastor and is now the president and executive head of the Pleasant View Luther College at Ottawa.
Rev. Mr. Haagenson was born at McIntosh, Minnesota, September 8, 1887. His parents were Norwegian pioneers of Minnesota, Lauritz and Kjersten (Rudshaugen) Haagenson, both natives of Norway. His father was a sailor and fisherman and in 1881 came to America, locating in Ottertail County, Minnesota, where he took up a homestead and improved a good farm and made himself one of the sturdy and trusted citizens of that state. He died June 9, 1900, and the mother died in November, 1929. They are both buried at Haagenson. Besides Helmer T. there are two other children, Martin, of McIntosh, and Mrs. Lena Berg, of McIntosh.
Helmer T. Haagenson spent his early life in rural localities in Minnesota, was educated in a country school near McIntosh and in 1909 graduated from high school. All through his school course he worked on a farm, made a good record as a student and participated in athletics and literary affairs in high school, playing basketball. After high school he entered St. Olaf College at Northfield, Minnesota. During 1911 he was on a farm, and then resumed his studies, taking his A. B. degree at St. Olaf in 1914. He was a member of the Sigma Tau fraternity. During summers he made money for his college expenses by work in a real estate office with his brother at McIntosh. Following his literary education he entered the United Church Seminary, now the Luther Seminary at St. Paul, and was graduated with his degree in theology in 1917. For one or two summers he taught in a vacation Bible school, and was pastor of a church at Bainville, Montana, until 1921.
[Biographies from "ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV,1933, Transcribed
and Donated by Kim Torp ]
Bemus Hall, Mrs. Wesley Batcheller's father, arrived here a few days before his daughter's family, and died
Chester B. Hall
Chester B. Hall came from Canada in 1832, settled in Ottawa in 1834. He married Jemima Hess; his second wife
was Mary Foster; he was a carpenter by trade; he lived in Ottawa twenty-two years; is now living in the town of
Dr. Josiah Hall, and wife, Elizabeth Arnold; blacksmith by trade; came from New York, 1840; resided here ten
years; he died in Ottawa, 1874; his widow is now living in Ottawa.
Philip Hall, from New York, in 1838; here five years, clerk to Kinney & Townsend ; went to Aurora, and was
Superintendent of Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad ; since dead.
William Hall, born in Georgia, was married to Mary J. R.Wilburs, in Kentucky ; moved to Illinois ; from there
to near Springfield, Illinois, in 1825; made a farm at Mackinaw, and then went to the lead mines, near Galena;
followed mining three years, then moved to Bureau Creek, and to near Lamoille, Bureau County. In the spring of
1832, sold his claim to Aaron Gunn, and moved to Indian Creek, where he, with his wife, and one child, were killed
by Indians, May 20, 1832. His eldest daughter, Temperance, married Peter Cartwright, nephew of Dr. Cartwright.
For the others, see narrative of the massacre.
Halvar K. Halvarson
Halvar K. Halvarson and family, came from Norway in 1838, lived in Rutland first, and removed to Adams in 1840.
Abijah Haman and wife. Bought claim of Dubois in 1836, and sold to Bernard; removed to Newark, and died there.
Had two sons: John, removed to Kendall County in 1845; Clark.
Anthony Haman came in 1835, and moved to De Kalb County.
Joseph Hamar, of Massachusetts, came to Illinois in 1835, in company with Dr. J. S. Bullock; left Massachusetts
in October, and came by the way of Albany, Erie canal and steamer to Cleveland, and by canal to Portsmouth, Ohio,
and by steamer to St. Louis; took passage for the Illinois river; was detained by ice near Alton. Nov. 30th left
the boat, and Mr. Hamar and Edw'd Knapp, also from Massachusetts, started on foot through a deep snow and over
an uninhabited prairie for his destination in La Salle County. They reached Springfield Dec. 4, Tremont, on the7th,
and Bailey's Grove on the 11th. Dr. Bullock arrived by boat Jan. 2, 1836. In January, Mr. Hamar went to Dixon on
foot to enter land, and was gone ten days. In the spring he was joined by his family and found quarters at the
hospitable house of Lewis Bailey. He settled on S. 32, where he built a log cabin the following summer, the first
in that locality that ventured to settle away from timber on the open prairie. Mr. and Mrs. Hamar, in common with
their neighbors from New England, brought with them a high regard for the church and school-house, which they learned
among their native hills. Mr. Hamar died Aug., 1846, aged 51. Mrs. Hamar died May, 1876, aged 78, leaving seven
children: Elizabeth, now the widow of Samuel Wauchope, of Farm Ridge; Mary Ann, widow of George Kingsbury, living
near Tonica; Minerva O., wife of Nathan L. Eaton, living three miles east of Tonica; Joseph E., living in Santa
Barbara, Cal.; Geo. E., is in Dodge County, Nebraska; Therestal, died in 1846; Eugene lives in Tonica.
Mrs. Sarah Hamilton
Mrs. Sarah Hamilton, from Ohio to Putnam County in 1846, and here in 1856.
Hans O. Hanson
Hans O. Hanson and family, came from Norway in 1839 and settled on Section 15 in 1840 ; the father and mother
are both dead. The oldest son, Ole H., lives on the old place ; another son, Alexander, lives near, on Section
20 ; the oldest daughter, Bertha, married Thomas Mosey, and lives in Freedom ; Lovina, married P. H. Peterson ;
Helen, is married and lives in Iowa.
Rev. Charles Harding, from Lucas County, Pa., came in 1840. He was a Baptist clergyman, and organized the church
at Harding, and preached, alternately, there and at Paw Paw. He died in 1843. His widow married Hiram Olmstead.
He left one child, Almira, who married Ashbel Fuller.
Hiram Harding, and wife, from Wyoming, Pa., came in 1838, and settled on Sec. 14. He and his wife are both dead.
His children are : Mary, who married Mr. Rice, is now dead ; Charles, died single : Ruth, married H. Worcester
; Park, died ; John. lives at Paw Paw ; Christine, married Mr. Goble, and was killed by the fall of the Dixon bridge.
Goodman Hargus, came from Norway, to New York in 1828; one that came over in the famous sloop ; he married in
New York and settled in Rutland in 1834. He died in 1850, leaving five children.
Patrick Harrigan, from Ireland to Boston, and came here in 1836 ; died 1872 ; widow, and oldest daughter, live
in South Ottawa.
John Harrington, from New York, 1834, on S. W.1/4S. 34, T. 34, R. 4 ; sold to J. F. Keyes, and moved to western
part of the State.
John Harrington, from England to New York in 1836; bachelor; grain dealer in Marseilles.
Thos. Harrington, brother of above, was drowned at the time of the flood in 1838. The ice gorged on the island
below Marseilles, and flooded nearly the whole town.
Henry F. Hartenbower
The gentleman whose name appears above is a leading business man of Tonica, dealing in agricultural implements,
threshers and engines. He was born in Magnolia township, Putnam County, Illinois, April 11, 1849, a son of Christian
and Jerusha (Hiltabrand) Hartenbower. His father was a native of Wittenberg, Germany and his mother was born in
Tennessee. They had seven children, six of whom are living, namely: Henry F., George F., Emily, wife of G. J. Williams,
of Eagle Grove, Iowa; William F., John E., of Tonica, Illinois and Catherine, the wife of Albert Grant. The father
of these children, a farmer by occupation, emigrated to America in 1836, locating in Putnam County, where he followed
agricultural pursuits until 1852, and then moved to Hope township, LaSalle County, settling upon a quarter section
which he had purchased. To this he subsequently added by further purchases until he had at one time five hundred
and seventy acres. It was here that he reared his children and lived until 1886, when he moved to Tonica, where
he now lives retired, his son William cultivating the old farm. In his political sympathies he has always been
a Democrat, and in public position he has been road commissioner for many years. In religion he and his wife are
John E. Hartenbower
LaSalle County is to be congratulated on the possession of business men and financiers whose enterprise, ability
and integrity have contributed in a large measure to the prosperity which this section of the state enjoys. Of
this class John E. Hartenbower is a prominent representative. He is one of the leading citizens of Tonica, who
not only stands high in the financial world here, but is equally esteemed in the social, political and official
circles of the town and locality.
Ira Hartshorn, and wife, Joanna Burnham, came from Lisbon, Ct., to Madison County, N. Y., and from there here
in 1836; moved his family in 1837, and settled on Section 6. He died in September, 1859; his widow died in 1875.
Joshua P., married Jane Simon, now in Iowa; Erasmus D., married Marietta Meserve; Alfred I. married Terrena Culver,
now in La Salle; Pliny, married Sarah Simonton, second wife, Amelia Dean-lives in Waltham; Culvert, married Anna
Niles ; Mary, married Frank Dean-her second husband, Eli Strawn, now of Buckley ; Lucy, married Mosely Niles, of
Buckley ; Lydia, married Robert V. Dunnary, of Livingston County; Charles B., died in the army, at Pittsburg Landing.
Heman Harwood, brother of Sanford, from the same place; married Melissa Ide, and settled on S. 1. Died in 1857
in Deer Park. His widow married a Mr. Lathrop, and moved to Iowa. He had three children: Sarah, married, and is
living in Iowa; Charles was killed by the accidental discharge of a gun; the younger daughter is with her mother.
Sanford Harwood, from Saratoga County, New York, came in 1837; married Keziah Dryer, and moved to Iowa.
William Haskell, from Boston, Massachusetts,1836, a merchant; died recently in Streator.
Camp Hatch, and wife, Miss Ambler, from New Preston, Ct., in the spring of 1831. settled on S. 9, T. 32, R.
2. He died in the fall ot 1835. His widow married Jabez Whiting.
Harvey Hatch (deaf and dumb), came from New Preston, Conn., a brother of Dr. Jethro Hatch and of Mrs. Bradish
Cummings, settled on S. 10; married, and removed to Galesburg, where he is now living.
Dr. Jethro Hatch, and wife, Ruth Cogswell, cam& from New Preston, Ct., in 1834; was a physician of good
practice. Had two daughters: Mary Ann. and Elizabeth. Mrs. Hatch died about 1845; the Doctor died about 1850.
Dr. Johnson Hatch, and wife, came from New Preston, Ct., in 1837, and bought the farm of Kirjeth A. Hunt. An
old experienced physician, his services were in demand during the sickly seasons of 1838 and '39, and the release
from labor which he sought by coming West was hardly found ; he returned to Connecticut in 1841.
Fielding Havenhill, son of George, came with his father, and settled on Section 12. in 1834 ; was married in
George Havenhill came from Nelson County, Ky,. to Tazewell County in 1830; in 1832 raised a crop near Holderman'
s Grove, which was destroyed by the Indians ; was County Commissioner in 1835; died about 1842.
Marshall Havenhill, son of George, came with his father, and settled on S. 12, T. 34, R. 5, in 1834; married
Ezra Hawley, and wife, Rhoda M. Buck, came from Bennington County, Vermont, to Sangamon County, and to Bailey's
Grove, in June, 1835; settled on S. 20, where he is still living. His living children, are: Anson at home ; Myron,
who married Emeline Hall, in Vermillion ; Hiram, married Mary Goodwin, lives near the old place.
Nathan Hawley, brother of Ezra, came from Vermont, July, 1836, and died the next October; his widow, Chloe Ann
Whiteside, lives near Peoria.
Gaylord Hayes, and wife, came from Barkhamstead, Litchfield County, Ct, to Hennepin in 1833, and moved on to
S. 4, T. 31, R. 3, in the spring of 1834. He died in 1837; his widow died several years after. He left five children
: Humphrey, married Miss Ellsworth and removed to California, now dead; Mary, married Sargeant Cummings, they live
in Iowa; Samuel J., married Sophia Cummings, live in Farm Ridge ; Philip C., married Miss Johnson, of Ohio, they
live in Morris; he is now Congressman elect from the Seventh Illinois District: E. Timothy, lives in Marseilles;
James H., of Cornell, Livingston County.
John Hays, and wife, came from Tennessee in 1830; built a cabin on the Illinois bottom, just above the present
location of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad depot; kept the Ferry across the Illinois river till
1840; sold to Hendricks; went to Hennepin, and died there. Hays was from the class at the South that was crushed
and kept in ignorance by the institution of slavery. He was a rough and fearless frontiersman. His children were:
one daughter, married Mr. Davis, and with her husband, was killed at Indian Creek, in 1832; Harrison is in Bureau
County; James, and two other sons.
Charles Hayward, from Lebanon, Connecticut, to. Cleveland, in 1818 ; from Ohio here, 1835 or 1836 ; was School
Commissioner of the county. Died July 20, 1849. His widow married Henry J. Reid. Mr. Hayward left two children
: George, married Nettie Strickland ; Estella J., at home.
Rev. Mr. Hazard
Rev. Mr. Hazard, from Clinton County, New York. in 1834; was a minister and missionary; died when returning
Samuel H. Heidler
In September 1895, the new superintendent of the public schools of Ottawa, Professor Samuel H. Heidler, entered upon his duties. He has made a most painstaking, efficient, judicious official, and has won the highest praise from our citizens and those interested in the progress of education. His whole mature life has been devoted to study and work along the lines of education, and both by nature and training he is eminently qualified for the responsible position which he occupies. Under his wise management of our local schools great improvement is to be noticed in many directions, and advanced methods, well tried and valuable, are being introduced as rapidly as is practicable.
A young man in the prime of life, Professor Heidler was born September 6, 1861, in the vicinity of Columbia, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, on the old homestead which has been handed down from one generation to the next, and was originally purchased by the paternal ancestor of our subject, of William Penn, the Quaker. There were five sons and five daughters in the Heidler family, the parents being Levi and Martha Heidler.
Subsequent to leaving the common schools Samuel Heidler spent three years in the training school at Millersville, the first state normal in the state of Pennsylvania. Then he taught for two years in his native county, after which he went to Springfield, Illinois and there pursued special lines of study for a year. At the expiration of that period he accepted a position in the schools of Cantrall, a town situated some ten miles from the state capital of Illinois and there he remained two years. His next position was in Pleasant Plains, where he taught until 1889, at that time being offered the principalship of the Stuart school in Springfield, at a salary of twelve hundred dollars a year. This amount was later increased to fourteen hundred dollars a year, the highest salary that had ever been paid to any ward-school principal in the city. In 1893 the Professor went to California, and for two years devoted himself to special study in the State university. Returning he at once entered upon his work as superintendent of the public schools of Ottawa. Keen in intellect, quick to grasp and deal with the difficulties of any situation, thoroughly posted in his chosen profession, he is just the man for the responsible position he holds. Fraternally he stands high in the Masonic order, and politically he is independent in his attitude.
In 1893 Professor Heidler was married in Springfield, Illinois to Miss Delia Bunn, a daughter of Henry and Mary Bunn of that city. Mrs. Heidler is a lady of superior educational and social attainments, and enjoys the friendship of a large circle of acquaintances. She is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, and in company with her husband, is a regular attendant at the services of the Lutheran church.
The Ottawa board of education was organized under a special law passed in the winter of 1845-5, and in the spring of the year last mentioned the people empowered the board to levy a special tax of one per cent for the purpose of building school-houses and paying needed expenses. After much discussion two large buildings were erected, at a cost of twenty-five thousand dollars. One of these, now known as the Columbus school, is in the third ward, and the other, now the Lincoln school, is in the fifth ward. Up to that time only one hundred and twenty-five children had been enrolled as public school pupils, but from the day that the new, well equipped buildings were opened a marked charge was observed and in a short time additional accommodations were required. The intervening years have witnessed many great and notable improvements in our school facilities and educational methods and each year rapid strides are made toward perfection.
[Source: Biographical and genealogical record of La Salle County, Illinois. Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1900. Page
20-21 - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
John H. Henderson
John H. Henderson, and wife, Elizabeth Powell, came from Tennessee in 1830, he located on Section 11. He was
in the field on the south side of Indian creek, planting corn, when the massacre took place by the Sauk Indians,
May 20, 1832; he, with others, escaped to Ottawa. He was an active, enterprising citizen, and a leading abolitionist.
He died June 17, 1848, much regretted. His widow still survives, living with her children. Her children are : Mary,
married A. P. Devereau, of Freedom ; George, in Iowa; Frances, married Richard Scott, in California ; Martha, married
James Clark, of Sycamore; Sarah, married George Martin ; Erastus T., married Miss Norton; Annetta, married Charles
Martin, of Vermont.
John Hendricks, from Virginia, to Indiana, and came here in 1831. His mother was a daughter of a respectable
Virginia planter, who eloped with and married her father's coachman, one of his African chattels. Under the laws
of Illinois then, he could neither vote nor testify against a white man; yet he was an honest man and a good citizen.
He bought the Peru ferry of Hays in 1840, and run it several years; he removed to West Missouri or Kansas, and
Thomas W. Hennesey
Dr. Thomas W. Hennesey, from Ireland, 1837, was a practicing physician in La Salle for twenty years, then moved
on to a farm, in the town of Dimmick, where he now lives ; he married Charlotte Cadwell, daughter of Sheldon Cadwell,
of Deer Park.
Benjamin Hess, and wife, Barbara Ann Simeon, came to Illinois in 1833, and settled on the bluff north of Utica
village. Mrs. Hess died in 1848, aged 75 ; Mr. Hess died in August, 1850, aged 77. Jeremiah, married Laura Sevins,
and lives on the old farm; Benjamin, died in 1846 ; Susan, married Mr. Mulford, she is now deceased; Abram, married
Mary E. Wallrod, and lives at Utica ; Eva, married Edward Holland, and had eleven children-second husband, Henry
Gorbet; Elizabeth, married Mr. Wallace, and lives at Bureau Junction ; Jemima, married Chester Hall, then of Ottawa-she
is now deceased.