(Index Not linked)
WILLIAM HARRISON WARD
|WILLIAM HARRISON WARD
WILLIAM HARRISON WARD, police judge of the city of Snohomish, is one of the pioneers of the county and is a man whose influence has been felt from the time that he took up a soldier's homestead a short distance south of the present city, in the days when the embryo settlement was known by the name of Cadyville. Mr. Ward is a native of New York, born the 28th day of November, of 1840, the second of four children of Chauncey H. and Margaret (Hufstater) Ward. The elder Ward was born in Massachusetts, but after becoming a mechanic he moved to the Empire state, coming still further west to Chicago in 1853. Mrs. Ward was born in New York of German parentage and received her education in that state. She died in Illinois. William H. Ward received his early education in New York schools and after the removal of his parents to Ottawa, Illinois, attended the high school in that city. He says, however, that the best part of his education was gained in a printing office, which he entered when seventeen years of age and where he served three years. This was at Ottawa, Illinois, where he also became noted as a vocal and instrumental musician. It is among Mr. Ward's pleasant recollections that he was a member of a band which played at the debates between Douglas and Lincoln in the great campaign of 1858 and listened to the forensic duel of the "Little Giant" and "Old Abe." At a later time Mr. Ward traveled extensively throughout the middle west with a concert band. At Beloit, Wisconsin, he enlisted as a member of a regimental band for a three-year term in the Civil War, but fifteen months later by act of congress was mustered out and discharged at Harrison's Landing, Virginia, in 1862. Mr. Ward returned to his Illinois home for a short time when he went to Watertown, New York, and learned the trade of carriage ironer. He remained there for a year and a half, when he engaged as member of a circus band, with which organization he played for one season. He passed the following winter in Albany, New York, and then returned to Illinois, where he worked at blacksmithing. In 1871 Mr. Ward came to Snohomish, then but a hamlet under the name of Cadyville. He took up a soldier's homestead two miles south of the settlement and at the same time rented an adjoining piece of land, which he worked for two years. In the spring of 1874 Mr. Ward opened the first blacksmith shop in the town and remained at his forge until 1899, having sold his homestead after proving up.
In 1866 in Chicago Mr. Ward married Miss Mary A. Carroll, daughter of Peter Carroll, a native of Ireland who came to the United States and became a mechanic in New York state. Mrs. Ward was born in Rome, Oneida county, in the central part of the Empire state, in 1844. To Mr. and Mrs. Ward has been born two children: Frank C. who died when an infant, and Mrs. Lillian C. James, who is now a resident of Everett. In fraternal circles Mr. Ward is a member of the Odd Fellows, being a Past Grand, Master of the State, and was the first Noble Grand of the Snohomish, and also one of the Rebekahs, as is also Mrs. Ward, who is Past Noble Grand and also Past Grand President. Mr. Ward is also a Mason, a past master and member of the blue lodge, and of the Order of the Eastern Star. In politics Mr. Ward is a Republican, having served out an unexpired term as county auditor, having been a justice of the peace and now police judge since 1902. In the summer of 1903 Judge Ward took a trip to Alaska for the purpose of a pleasure trip and, incidentally, to satisfy his curiosity about that country of the North.
Mr. Ward has ever been interested in the betterment of his community and his influence on the musical tastes of the people of Snohomish has been very marked. His early training in this line has made him of great value to the community and he has always been ready to lend his knowledge for any occasion. Mr. Ward is a popular citizen of Snohomish, a sterling character and one whose influence is always in the direction of liberality and broadness of view.
An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman.
Daniel and Lucy Ann (Skeel) Warren
Lucy Ann was married in 1832 to Daniel Warren of New York, who made a claim on Big Indian creek in La Salle county and there died. She later became the wife of Peter H. Dick, who also lived in that county and is again a widow, making her home in Ottawa. In May, 1832, with her first husband, she located twelve miles north of Ottawa and was living there when Black Hawk started on his campaign. The old chief, Shabbona, who was friendly with the family, notified them that some Sac and Fox Indians were on their way to that timber. When Shabbona arrived at the house Mrs. Warren was alone, but she called her husband and his brother, who were at work at the mill and they at once started for Ottawa, while Shabbona went on to warn others. Two weeks later Mr. Warren and his brother went back to see what damage had been done and a captain and young soldier volunteered to go with them. On reaching the cabin they found that the Indians had disturbed nothing and after resting they started back to Ottawa. When half way on reaching Buck creek, they stopped to gather wild strawberries, which were plentiful at that point and let their horses graze. Mr. Warren suggested that they start on, as they might be attacked by Indians, but the captain scouted the idea and Mr. Warren and his brother started on ahead. Hearing the report of guns they looked back and saw that the young man had been shot and his horse had escaped. The captain was also shot, the ball passing through his leg into the horse, which stood quite still for some time and then started on a run until it reached the Warrens, when it fell dead.
[Source: Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois by John Spencer Burt and William E. Hawthorne, 1907 Page 216]
Gen. Charles S. Warren
Gen. Charles S. Warren is one of the few survivors of the group of pioneers who made the heroic and constructive period of Montana's early history. For over half a century he has lived on terms of intimacy with miner and prospector, mine operator, capitalist, statesman, has had his share in big constructive movements, and perhaps no one in Montana today is better informed and could describe from his own experience and knowledge the real forces that have shaped and formed the political and industrial fabric of the state.
Charles S. Warren was born in sight of the historic Starved Rock near Utica, LaSalle County, Illinois, November 20, 1846, and is of colonial American stock. His mother, Hannah Brown, was born at Germantown, near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and she was a member of the Keyser family of Philadelphia of nearly a hundred years ago, and at that time her ancestor, Charles Keyser, was the president of Girard College. Her ancestors came over with William Penn among the early settlers of Philadelphia. She was member of a prominent Quaker family of Pennsylvania.
General Warren's father was Sylvanus B. Warren, who was born in Philipstown, a suburb of Peekskill, New York, November 27, 1813. The Warrens were well known throughout New England and New York before the Revolution, and took a prominent part in that struggle for independence. General Warren's ancestors built the first house in the vicinity of Cold Springs, opposite West Point, New York, prior to the Revolution.
The Warrens were early settlers in central Illinois, in the Illinois Valley, and Charles S. Warren was reared in practically a pioneer home, but one of substantial New England and Quaker ideals. He was a farmer boy when the Civil war broke out, and served through the war for the Union and had two honorable discharges from the United States army. In 1866 he drove a bull team across the plains to Virginia City, Montana, where he graduated as a bull whacker on August 20, 1866. During the winter of 1867-68 he taught school in Deer Lodge Valley at Hartley's Ranch near the mouth of Dry Cottonwood, about fifteen miles south of Deer Lodge. During the summer he followed placer mining, and for seven years operated in the placer diggings of Alder Gulch, Last Chance, French Gulch, German Gulch, Silver Bow, Butte and elsewhere in Montana. In fact for over half a century he has been more or less closely identified with the mining industry as well as with every other industry that has helped develop the resources and build up the territory and state. General Warren reached Butte November 24, 1866, and spent the following winter at Silver Bow, then the largest town in this part of Montana. In a business way his name has become associated with a number of groups comprising men of power and leadership in the development of the resources of the Northwest. He was one of the incorporators of the Inter Mountain
Publishing Company, of the Comanche Mining Company, the Charles S. Warren Realty and Mining Company and numerous other corporations.
General Warren has been a republican since he cast his first vote, and while he has never made politics a profession, few politicians have been more frequently honored with the responsibilities and duties of public office. He served as deputy sheriff, under sheriff and sheriff of Deer Lodge County from 1869 to 1875. That county then comprised everything from the Big Hole River on the south to the British possessions on the north, there being only two counties in Montana west of the Rocky Mountains, Deer Lodge and Missoula. He was the first police magistrate of Butte when the city was organized in 1880, and twenty-six years later was again elected police judge of the city. In territorial days he served for five years as clerk of the United States District Court of Silver Bow County, under Hon. William J. Galbraith, presiding judge. General Warren was elected a member of the State Constitutional Convention which met at Helena July 4, 1889, and framed the constitution of the state. Upon roll call he voted aye for woman suffrage, and has never failed to give his support and influence to the political emancipation of women.
He was a member of the National Republican Committee four years when Mathew S. Quay was chairman, resulting in the election of Benjamin Harrison to the presidency in 1888. He served as a member of most of the territorial and state conventions for forty-five years, and as presidential elector was appointed to the duty of carrying the Montana vote to Washington and casting it for William H. Taft in 1908.
With rank from major to brigadier general, he served on the staffs of J. Schuyler Crosby, Samuel T. Hauser, Preston H. Leslie and B. F. White as territorial governors. He was adjutant of the Montana Battalion during the Nez Perce Indian war of 1877, and raised a company and tendered its services to Governor Potts early in July, 1876, upon receiving news of the Custer massacre, this service being
declined by the governor. He was also instrumental in organizing the militia of the Territory of Montana.
General Warren helped organize and is past commander of Lincoln Post No. 2, Grand Army of the Republic. The first department commander of the Grand Army of the Republic in Montana was Capt.
Thomas P. Fuller, who was succeeded in that office in 1886 by General Warren. The death of Captain Fuller leaves General Warren as the ranking department commander of the Grand Army of the Republic of Montana. He is also a member of the board of managers of the State Soldiers Home at Columbia Falls.
General Warren served as president of the Society of Montana Pioneers in 1907-08. He helped organize
the Silver Bow Club as a charter member and was president of the club in 1888, being succeeded in that office by F. E. Sargent. Some years ago General Warren was made a life member of the club.
He is a past master of Butte Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, a Knight Templar Mason, belongs to the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and Bagdad Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is a charter member of Butte Lodge of Masons, and served as its secretary for the first six years. He was a charter member and first secretary of Fidelity Lodge No. 8, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a charter member of Damon Lodge No. 2, Knights of Pythias, a charter member of Silverbow Lodge No. 240, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, but has since severed his active connection with the Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Elks.
November 15, 1871, General Warren married Mittie Avery. They were married at what was then known as Silver Valley Station, now known as the "Hump," about six miles below Silver Bow and on the road between Butte and Gregson Springs. Mrs. Warren was born at Saco, Maine, September 1, 1854. Their two living children are: Wesley W. Warren, a resident of Sacramento, California; and Mary Warren Murphey, wife of John Milton Murphey, living at 221 North Excelsior Avenue, in Butte. [Progressive Men of Montana Volume 1, transcribed by Vicki Bryan]
WILLIAM G. WILSON
William Grundy Wilson, one of the respected citizens of Lostant, Illinois, is a native of this state and dates his birth in Putnam county, May 31, 1846.
Mr. Wilson is a son of Garrison and Ann (Dugan) Wilson, natives of Kentucky and Pennsylvania, respectively. In their family were nine children, five sons and four daughters, and of this number seven are now living: Elizabeth D., wife of D. C. Hull, of Canton, South Dakota; Matilda A., wife of H. L. Hammitt, also of Canton; William G., of Lostant. Illinois: Mary A., widow of Daniel Kemp, of Streator, Illinois; Thomas M., of Chicago; Robert T., of Granville, Illinois; and Edward H., of Lostant. Garrison Wilson, the father, was a farmer. He came to Illinois in 1829 and located in Putnam county, being a boy at that time and accompanying his parents hither. Their settlement was in Magnolia township. There he grew to manhood and married and reared his family, and there also the evening of his life was passed. He died at the age of seventy-two years. His widow still survives and lives in Lostant with her sons. She is a Presbyterian, while he was a Methodist. In politics he was in early life a Whig and later a Republican. He was a soldier in the Black Hawk war, serving under Captain Hawes.
The Wilsons are of Scotch origin. Thornton Wilson, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, came from Kentucky to Illinois in 1829, and as already recorded made a settlement in Putnam county. His life was spent in agricultural pursuits, and he lived to a venerable age. In his family were five sons and two daughters. He is buried at Princeton, Illinois. The maternal grandfather of our subject was Robert Dugan, a native of Ireland, who came to America and settled in Pennsylvania; later moved to Ohio, and about 1833 came to Putnam county, Illinois, and settled on a farm. He was nearly eighty years old at the time of his death. His family comprised six members, three sons and three daughters.
William G. Wilson was reared on his father's farm in Magnolia township, Putnam county, and that was his home for forty-four years, he having traveled considerably, however, in the meantime. In 1893 he moved to Lostant, LaSalle county, and he and his brother Edward H. and their mother live together in Lostant. He owns eighty acres of improved land in Putnam county, and his mother owns one hundred and ninety-five acres.
Mr. Wilson is a member of Magnolia Lodge, No. 103, F. & A. M. Politically he is a Democrat.
(Source: Biographical and genealogical record of La Salle County, Illinois: Volume 2 - Page 690, Lewis Publishing Company - 1900)