The town of Eden embraces Township 32, of Range 1. It joins the Illinois timber on the north, and Bailey's Grove on the east. It is drained by Bailey's and Cedar creeks, which run to the Illinois and Vermillion rivers. The southwest part of the town is high land, forming the divide separating the waters that run north to the Illinois and those that run to Sandy creek, and southwest to the same stream. It is a fine farming region, and its beauty and fertility suggested the name it so well bears.
It was settled at an early day along the north and east sides, adjoining the timber, then considered indispensable. The Illinois Central Railroad passed through it, near its eastern boundary, in 1853, and the prairie portion of the town was soon converted into farms. Tonica station, on the Central Railroad, sprang up immediately after the road was built, and has had a steady and .healthful growth, and does a large business.
[Source: History of LaSalle County, Illinois by Elmer Baldwin, Chicago, Rand, McNally & Co., Printers, 1877, SKETCH OF THE PIONEER SETTLERS OF EACH TOWN IN THE COUNTY, Eden, Page 347 - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]