The town of South Ottawa embraces that part of T. 33, R. 3, which lies south of the Illinois river, being about half the township. Except a narrow strip of bottom-land along the Illinois river, it is on the bluff, and the village which constitutes one ward of the city of Ottawa, looks down upon that part of the city which lies in the valley.
The view is a very fine and commanding one. It was settled before North Ottawa, and the fort built for protection in the Black Hawk war, was just east of where the road going south cuts the bluff. The timber land which skirts the bluff of the Illinois river and along Covell creek, which runs northwesterly through the town, covers a large proportion of its surface.
A peculiar feature is the existence of a fountain of water which lies a few feet below the surface between the Illinois River and Covell creek; there is a bed of coarse gravel several feet in thickness, which contains a fountain of pure water. It supplies North Ottawa by pipes running under the river, and the fountain is inexhaustible. The town is favorably located, and will be as valuable as any portion of the county.
[Source: History of LaSalle County, Illinois by Elmer Baldwin, Chicago, Rand, McNally & Co., Printers, 1877, SKETCH OF THE PIONEER SETTLERS OF EACH TOWN IN THE COUNTY, Page 255 - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]