Reynolds Evangelical Church
|The Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUB) was an American Protestant church which was formed in 1946 by the merger of the Evangelical Church with the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. The United Brethren and the Evangelical Association had considered merging since the early nineteenth century because of their common emphasis on holiness and evangelism and German heritage.|
Contributed by Karen Holt
The Evangelical Church a group of mostly German descent had its beginning in Bradford township as early as 1849 but interest spread to people living Reynolds township and a Sunday school began in 1866 eventually meeting at the Weiner school. Construction of a church building began in 1871 and dedicated October 13, 1872 with the name Emanuel church. It was built free of debt at a cost of $4,000. It was located at the southeast corner of Section 19 at the corner of Reynolds and Brooklyn Roads. In 1881, $900 was expended in improvements and repairs. The building committee consisted of John Kersten, George Sandrock, George Bolei, Martin Wagner and Ernst Weiner. In the early years, the pulpit was filled by the Lee Center preaching circuit with services in German lasting two to three hours.
A parsonage was first built in 1885 and then rebuilt in 1922. Between 1864 and 1999, forty six pastors and four assistants have filled the pulpit.
In 1909 construction began on a new church to meet the growing congregation and dedicated January 23, 1910.
In 1946 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, the Evangelical Church and the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (not to be confused with the current Church of the United Brethren in Christ -Old Constitution) merged to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUB).
At a national convention in Dallas , Texas on 23rd of April 1968, the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist Church were merged to form the United Methodist Church . This churches name was changed on July 6, 1969 to The Reynolds United Methodist Church.
The Reynolds Church has an active congregation drawing from the many families living near the church located in this rural farming area. In 1990 a new addition was added with kitchen, Sunday school rooms and fellowship hall.
The address is: 2496 Reynolds Road, Ashton , IL 61006