Lee County Biography

JAMES BUCKLEY


James Buckley, a representative and esteemed citizen of Lee county, devotes his attention to general agricultural pursuits with gratifying success and is the owner of an excellent farm of two hundred and forty acres on section 21, May township. His birth occurred in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1854, his parents being Michael and Rosanna (McGreer) Buckley. In 1861 the family came to Lee county, Illinois, and here the parents spent their remaining days. Michael Buckley passed away in 1878 and his wife, surviving him for almost a quarter of a century, died in 1902. Their remains were interred in St. Patrick's cemetery of May township.

James Buckley was a little lad of seven when he came to this county with his parents and here attended school until twenty-two years of age. He assisted his father in the operation of the home farm until the latter's demise and subsequently went west, spending about two years in that part of the country in railroad work. On returning home he took possession of the farm of two hundred and forty acres which he now owns and in the operation of which he has won a gratifying annual income. He engages in mixed farming and keeps about eighteen horses, thirty head of cattle, sixty hogs and several hundred head of poultry. He erected the residence and other buildings which adorn his property, has ever followed the most modern and resultant methods in the conduct of his agricultural interests and has long been numbered among the substantial and leading citizens of the community.

In 1884, in May township, Mr. Buckley was joined in wedlock to Miss Margaret Dougherty, a daughter of Charles and Catherine Dougherty, who are deceased and he buried in the Dixon cemetery. Our subject and his wife have seven children, as follows: John, Charles, William, Harry, Edward, James and Frank, all at home.

Mr. Buckley gives his political allegiance to the republican party and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to several positions of public trust. He has ably served in the capacity of supervisor since 1905, also acted as collector for about two years, as town clerk for four years and as a school director for six years, ever discharging his public duties in a prompt and capable manner. He belongs to the Knights of Columbus and is also a devout communicant of the Catholic church. That his life has been well spent is indicated by the fact that many of his warmest friends are those who have known him from his boyhood to the present.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Bar



Lee Co Bios Home