Charles H.Card

Bar

Charles H. Card has been identified with the practical farmers of Northem Illinois for many years, and has contributed his quota towards the development of its marvelous agricultual resources, For nearly a quarter of a century, he has carried on his operations in De Kalb County, IL where he had a good farm. A native of Cazenovia, Madison County, N. Y., he was born April 28, 1822, His father, Richard Card, a native of Rhode lsland, was an early settler of Madison County, where he bought a tract of land, which is included wholly in the town of Cazenovin. He was a blacksmith, and while doing a thriving business at his trade, he at the same time superintended the improvement of his farm and resided thereon until his untimely death in 1830 deprived his community of a very useful citizen. The maiden name of his wife was Annie Palmer, and she was a daughter of John Palmer. She was born near Hoosick, N. Y., and died in Corning, N.Y. in 1853. She was the mother of nine children that grew to maturity.

He of whom these lines are written passed his early life in his native town and was educated in the public schools. He lived with his mother until he attained his majority. He inherited a part of the old homestead and farmed it for three years. In 1848 he paid his first visit to Illinois, coming hither by the way of canal and lakes to Chcago and then proceeding on foot to De Kalb County, where he invested in a tract of Government land in Shabbona Township. After entering his land, he returned to New York and erected a building at Corning, which he devoted to the grocery business the ensuing two years. His store and stock were then burned and he accepted a position as baggage master on the Erie Railway, which since he occupied two years and then turned his attention to carpentering.

In the meantime our subject had not forgotten the impression made upon him on his visit to Illinois, as to the many superior advantages its rich, virgin soil gave to a wide-awake, progressive farmer over the older settled portions of the country, and in 1854 he came back to locate on his land in Shabbona Township. He at once erected suitable buildings, began to cultivate his land, and in the twelve years that he lived upon it brougbt it into a fine condition. He then sold and bought the place where he now resides in East Paw Paw, where he is living in a cozy home, surrounded by every evidence of comfort.

March 14, 1843, Mr. Card and Miss Julia Green­man were united in marriage, and for nearly half a century they have traveled life's road together, sharing each other's joys and lightening each oth­ers sorrows,and securing to themselves the univer­sal respect of the community, where they have passed so many years, by lives of unselfish devotion to duty, wherein they have tried to do as they would be done by. Mrs Card is exemplary member of the Presbyterian Church. She is a native of the same town in which her hushand was born, and is a daughter of Gardner Greenman, who was also a native of New York, his birthplace being in Rensselaer County. He moved from there to Madison County when a young man, and was there married to Betsy Savage, a native of Vermont and a daughter of John Savage. Her father is thought to have been, born in Connecticut and to have removed from there to Vermont, of which State he was a resident for some time. He subsequently went to New York and bought n farm in Cazeno­via Township, upon which he spent his remaining days. His wife spent her last years with her children, and died at the home of her daughter, wife of our subject, in DeKalb County. Mr. and Mrs. Card have three children living; Lewis, Etta, and Edwin. Lewis married Emma Colgreaves, and they have two children; Albert and Charlie. Etta married Dr. Joseph Atherton and they have two children; Body C. and card Leslie. Addie, the elder daughter, married N.R. Wheat and died April 17, 1889, leaving two children; Elsie and Julia.

Portraits & Biographical

Bar

Lee Co Bios
Home


Illinois - "Our Way"