Lee County Biography

HENRY DIXON


Henry S. Dixon is practicing law in the city of Dixon under the firm style of Dixon & Dixon. He is a son of Sherwood and Melissa G. (Mead) Dixon, the fomrer a son of James P. Dixon and the grandson of John Dixon. Henry S. Dixon Was born in the city which is still his home, August 28, 1870, and was educated in the south side public schools, being graduated therefrom in June, 1888. Immediately after his graduation he was employed in the factory of C.M. Henderson & Company as a shoe cutter for more than a year. Subsequently he attended the Northwestern University and the Kent College of Law at Chicago, being graduated from the latter with the class of 1893. In 1894 and a part of 1895 he was employed in the United States attorney's office at Chicago. He returned to Dixon in the latter year to become a partner of S.H. Bethea, with whom he retained this connection until 1898. He then engaged in practice alone until 1899, when he became a partner of George C. Dixon under the firm style of Dixon & Dixon.

On the 24th of July, 1895, in Chicago, Mr. Dixon was united in marriage to Miss Margaret C. Casey, of that city, and they are the parents of four children: Sherwood, Marion E., Jerome F. and Robert A. Mr. Dixon has held the following positions: alderman of the first ward in 1898-99; mayor of Dixon in 1903-04; and referee in bankruptcy for the northern district of Illinois from 1899 to the present. He was a member of the North Dixon board of education for two terms of three years each and in politics he has always been a democrat.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Back Home