Biography

Lee County Illinois

Bar

CARL MARTIN EWALD

No history of Lee county would be complete without extended mention of the Ewald family. Its members are known throughout this part of the state as progressive farmers and stock-raisers and each of the sons has displayed sterling characteristics of industry and determination in the conduct of his business affairs, thereby attaining success and winning a place among the self-made men of the county. Carl Martin Ewald was born in Germany, April 18, 1872, and is a son of Henry and Anna Martha Ewald, who in 1873 bade adieu to friends and native land and with their family sailed for the new world. Coming to Illinois, they established their home in Ogle county and in 1879 removed to Lee county. Carl M. Ewald continued with his parents until thirty one years of age, at which time he was united in marriage to Miss Ida Wendt, who was born in Bradford township, September 27, 1883. and is a daughter of William and Amelia (Engal) Wendt, both of whom were natives of Germany but in early life came to the new world and were married in this country. They established their home in Lee county, where they lived for a long period. The father passed away in 1887, but the mother survives and is now a resident of Ashton. They had a family of seven children: Frank, who is a resident of Nebraska; Grace, the wife of Conrad Smith, of Ashton; Fred, living in Lee county; Emma, the wife of John Schaffer, of Cook county, Illinois; William, who makes his home in Rochelle, this state; Mrs. Ewald; and Matilda, who is the wife of William Rankie, of Ashton.

Following his marriage Carl M. Ewald established his home upon a rented farm, where he lived for some years. During that period he carefully saved his earnings until he was able to purchase property. In 1910 he became the owner of the farm of two hundred acres on section 24, Reynolds township, on which he now makes his home. He has always been interested in stock-raising, handling not only cattle but also horses and hogs, which he raises and feeds, preparing them for the market. He keeps on hand high-grade stock and is one of the leading live-stock dealers in his part of the county.

Mr. and Mrs. Ewald have a family of three children: Earl H., born January 30, 1904; Clarence C., February 7, 1906; and Lucile Grace, May 18, 1909. Mrs. Ewald is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Ewald contributes to its support. He votes with the republican party but has not sought nor desired political preferment. He has served, however, as school director and recognizes the value of education as a preparation for life's practical and responsible duties. Industry has been the keynote of his character and it is because he has worked hard, directing his labor by sound judgment, that he has reached a place among the substantial farmers and stock-raisers of Reynolds township.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens

Bar

CHARLES EWALD

A well known resident of Reynolds township is Charles Ewald, who, starting out in life on his own account upon a rented farm, is now the owner of a valuable property of three hundred and twenty acres, splendidly improved with good buildings and all the accessories and conveniences of the model farm of the twentieth century. He was born in Germany, February 5, 1865, and is a son of Henry and Anna Martha (Beck) Ewald, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father was born in Hesse-Cassel, August 5, 1837, and was a son of Martin and Christina (Bogel) Ewald. He was married in Germany in 1864 to Miss Martha Beck and in the year 1873 they crossed the Atlantic with their family, making their way to Ogle county, Illinois, where the father worked at the stonemason's trade, which he had learned and followed in his native land. In 1879 he removed to Lee county, settling in Reynolds township upon a farm of one hundred and sixty acres. His place was located on section 27 and his time thereafter was devoted to general agricultural pursuits until his life's labors were ended in death, on the 10th of March, 1913. He had for a third of a century been a resident of this county and was widely known as a worthy and representative citizen. His widow survives and is now living with her son John on the old homestead, at the age of seventy-six years. Although now well advanced in age she yet enjoys good health, being a well preserved woman. In their family were seven children: Charles; William A.; Anna E., the wife of William Christian, now of Iowa; C. M.; John; Henry; and Katherine, who died at the age of three years.

Charles Ewald was a lad of eight summers when brought by his parents to the United States, and for six years thereafter he lived in Ogle county. At the end of that time the family came to Lee county, and he has since been a resident of Reynolds township. He continued under the parental roof until twenty-six years of age, after which he started out in life on his own account by renting land. He carefully saved his earnings until his economy and industry had brought him sufficient capital to enable him to purchase a farm and in 1899 he invested in three hundred and twenty acres on sections 22 and 23, Reynolds township. With characteristic energy he began the further development of the property. He has here a comfortable residence, in the rear of which stand good barns and outbuildings, giving ample shelter for grain and stock. He uses the latest improved machinery in carrying on the work of the fields and makes a specialty of raising and breeding Hereford cattle, so that his farm has become known as the Reynolds Stock Farm. He handles only registered stock and has been the owner of some of the finest Herefords seen in this part of the state. His annual sales of stock bring him a very substantial income and, moreover, his labors have been of immense value in advancing the standards among stock-raisers in this part of Illinois.

On the 12th of March, 1891, Mr. Ewald was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Wagner, who was born in Reynolds township, a daughter of Martin and Martha (Henert) Wagner. Mr. and Mrs. Ewald have become the parents of five children: Ralph M., born January 25, 1892; Harry J., June 12, 1894; Rosa Anna, July 24, 1897; Hilda K., May 21, 1903; and Esther E., September 23, 1909. The children have been given good school privileges, and the second son is a college graduate. The parents are members of the Evangelical church and are much interested in the moral as well as the material progress of the community. Mr, Ewald is serving as supervisor of his township, has been township collector and for several years was a school director. His political allegiance is now given to the progressive party. He does not believe in the blind following of any party leader, but gives intelligent support to the measures in which he believes, keeping at all times well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He has many of the sterling traits of his Teutonic ancestry which, coupled with western enterprise, have made him one of the substantial citizens and representative farmers of Lee county.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Bar

HENRY EWALD

The name of Ewald is well known to all who are familiar with the history of agricultural development and progress in Reynolds township and Lee county, for through more than a third of a century the family has been represented here and its members have taken an active and helpful part in promoting farming interests in this section of the state. Henry Ewald, Jr., now living on section 22, Reynolds township, was born in Ogle county, Illinois, February 6, 1877, and is a son of Henry and Anna Martha Ewald, of whom further mention is made on another page of this volume in connection with the sketch of Charles Ewald. The family removed from Ogle to Lee county in 1879, and Henry Ewald, Jr., spent his boyhood and youth in the usual manner of farm lads, working in the fields through the summer months, attending the district schools during the winter seasons and finding time and opportunity for play when more serious tasks did not engage him. He continued to assist his father in the cultivation of the home farm until twenty-eight years of age, when he was united in marriage on the 20th of June. 1905, to Miss Marie Kaecker, who was born in Bradford township, January 7, 1880, a daughter of William and Minnie (Aschenbrenner) Kaecker. The father was born in Germany and came to America when twenty-one years of age. The mother is a native of Lee county, Illinois, where she still makes her home, being now a resident of Bradford township. In their family were twelve children, ten of whom survive.

Following his marriage Mr. Ewald began his domestic life upon a rented farm, which he continued to till for seven years. He then purchased one hundred and sixty acres on section 22, Reynolds township, a tract which was then partially improved. He has continued its further development along progressive lines of farming and annually the fields bring forth rich crops owing to the care and labor which he bestows upon them. His methods are at once practical and progressive and in addition to raising grain he makes a specialty of raising and feeding stock, which constitutes an important source of his income.

As the years have gone by Mr. and Mrs. Ewald have become the parents of three children: Fern Anna M., born April 4, 1906, Mark William, August 17, 1910, and Lloyd Andrew William, January 28, 1912. The parents hold membership in the Evangelical church, and Mr. Ewald gives his political support to the republican party but has never sought nor desired office as a reward for party fealty, preferring to give his undivided attention to his farming interests, which, capably managed, are bringing to him a good return.

Bar

JOHN EWALD

One of the excellent stock farms of Reynolds township is that owned by John Ewald, who is a member of a family that has been very prominent in advancing the farming and stock breeding and raising interests of Lee county. He was born in Scott township, Ogle county, Illinois, November 15, 1874, and is a son of Henry and Anna Martha Ewald, of whom mention is made in connection with the sketch of Charles Ewald, elsewhere in this volume.

John Ewald spent the first five years of his life in his native county and in 1879 was brought by his parents to Lee county, where he has since lived. His experiences were those which usually fall to the lot of the farm lad and his early training brought him practical knowledge of the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. He acquired a common-school education and when not busy with his text-books his time and attention were given to various parts of the farm work. He continued at home until ho attained his majority and eventually through purchase became the owner of one hundred and sixty acres on section 27, Reynolds township. This is the old homestead property and is one of the good farms of the county. The fields produce good crops, for the soil is naturally rich and productive and his methods of crop production are practical and progressive. However, he makes a specialty of raising and breeding Duroc Jersey hogs and shorthorn cattle and is successful with both, having at all times upon his place many head of high-grade stock. He is an excellent judge of both hogs and cattle and seldom makes a mistake in purchasing an animal. He is recognized as a thoroughly reliable business man, straightforward in all his dealings and enterprising in all that he undertakes.

On the 2d of October, 1911, Mr. Ewald was united in marriage to Miss Rose May Hampton, who was born in Lee county, Illinois, April 1, 1879, and is a daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Lambert) Hampton, the former a native of Canada and the latter of Missouri. In moving to this state, they settled in Lee county and are now residents of Paw Paw, Illinois, where Mr. Hampton is living retired, having put aside all business cares. They had a family of nine children, seven of whom survive. Mr. and Mrs. Ewald are the parents of one son, Arthur Adrian, who was born July 3, 1912, and is the light and life of the household. The parents belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Ewald is a progressive in politics. He has served as township clerk and as school director and is interested in all those measures and movements which have to do with the upbuilding and benefit of township and county. His has been a useful and well spent life and the success which has crowned his efforts is the merited Reward of earnest, persistent and honorable labor.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Bar

WILLIAM A. EWALD

William A. Ewald is the owner of the Willow Corner farm of one hundred and fifty-nine acres on section 29, Reynolds township. In addition he has other property in this county and has come to be ranked among the substantial farmers of his part of the state. Germany is his native land, and the date of his birth was November 23, 1866. He is a son of Henry and Anna Martha (Bock) Ewald. Both were natives of Germany, the former born August 5, 1837. They remained residents of the fatherland until 1873, when they bade adieu to friends and native country and sailed for the United States, their destination being Whiterock, Ogle county, Illinois. Subsequently they came to Lee county, taking up their abode in Reynolds township, where Henry Ewald bought a farm on section 27. With characteristic energy he began its development and continued its cultivation until his life's labors were ended in death on the l0th of March, 1913, when he was in his seventy-sixth year. His widow survives and resides on the old homestead with her son John. By her marriage she became the mother of the following children: Charles; William A.; Mrs. William Christian; C.M.; John, and Henry. The daughter is a resident of Dysart, Iowa, but the sons all live in Reynolds township, this county. There are thirteen grandchildren.

William A. Ewald was a little lad of seven years when his parents crossed the Atlantic with their family and came to Illinois. He has since lived in this state and the public-school system of Illinois afforded him his educational privileges. His training at farm labor was received under his father's direction, for he remained at home until twenty-seven years of age. He then started out in life on his own account, by renting eighty acres of his father's land. This he cultivated tor two years and in the success which attended his efforts proved his capability and resourcefulness. At the end of that time he was united in marriage to Miss Martha A. Wagner, who was born in Reynolds township, January 3, 1874, and is a daughter of Martin and Martha (Henert) Wagner, both of whom were natives of Germany, whence they came to the new world, establishing their home in Bradford township, Lee county, Illinois.

Following his marriage Mr. Ewald leuted land belonging to his wife's uncle, Henry Henert, in Reynolds township and lived upon that place for six years. In 1902 he purchased the farm on section 29, Reynolds township, now known as the Willow Corner farm and comprising one hundred and fifty-nine acres of rich and productive land, from which he annually gathers good harvests. He has since added to his possessions and is now the owner of another excellent farm of two hundred acres on sections 9 and 10, Viola township. Here he makes a specialty of raising and feeding stock and annually sells a large number, this branch of his business proving a profitable one. Beginning at the early age of sixteen and continuing until five years ago our subject, with his brother. Charles, operated a threshing, corn-shelling and clover-hulling outfit. At first they used the old horse-power machinery, but later they owned two steam outfits. He neglects no branch of his farm work, and his care and supervision have made his valuable properties.

Mr. and Mrs. Ewald have become parents of two children: Adrian J., who was born June 29, 1902, and died in 1903, and Ilia M., born June 24, 1905. The parents attend the Evangelical church. Mr. Ewald votes with the republican party, but has no aspiration for public office. He finds that his business affairs make ample claim upon his time and energies, and he has two excellent farms in the county', the neat and thrifty appearance of which indicate his careful supervision and practical, progressive methods.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Lee Co Bios Home