Lee County Biography

CHRISTIAN FABER


Christian C. Faber is one of the progressive and successful business men of Paw Paw, where he has been established in business since twenty-two years of age, having now conducted a meat market on Main street for twenty-eight years with such marked success that he has come to be recognized as one of the most substantial men of his city. A native of Illinois, he was born in Clarion township, Bureau county, on December 26, 1863, his parents being Peter and Margaret (Miller) Faber. The father was one of the early settlers in Bureau county, being highly respected and esteemed by all who knew him, and there passed away in 1884, his wife surviving him for more than a quarter of a century, passing away in 1912. Both are buried in Rest Land cemetery, Mendota, Illinois. The Faber family is of German extraction.

Christian C. Faber attended district school in Clarion township, discontinuing his lessons at the age of sixteen years. He then assisted his father with the work on the farm, giving the benefit of his labors to his parents until twenty-two years of age. His father having passed away in the meantime, he in 1885 made a removal to Lee county and upon coming to Paw Paw associated himself with his brother George in the meat business, which he has ever since conducted with most gratifying financial results. George Faber has retired from the business and our subject is now sole proprietor, conducting business in a handsome building on Main street. His progressive methods, his watchfulness as to most sanitary conditions, the quality of the goods which he handles and his universal politeness have all combined to build up a trade which is representative and gratifying in proportions. It is, therefore, but natural that as the years have passed financial independence has come to him and that he is today one of the foremost business men in the city.

At Paw Paw, November 20, 1889, Mr. Faber married Miss Myrtle I. Smith, a daughter of Henry and Louisa (Adams) Smith, numbered among the early pioneer farming people of Lee couuty. The father passed away October 8, 1907. and is buried at Cottage Hill cemetery, but his wife survives and makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Faber. The latter is the mother of one son now living, Leon A., who is at present attending school. Clifton S., another son, died in October, 1898, at the age of five years, and was laid to rest in Wyoming township cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Faber occupy a commodious residence, which was erected by our subject and where both he and his wife extend a hearty welcome to their many friends.

In his political views Mr. Faber is a democrat, upholding the candidates and measures of that party at the polls, although he has never cared to enter the political arena in the role of office seeker. Yet, he is public-spirited in the best meaning of American citizenship and gives his support to all measures which will make for the betterment of conditions for the general public or promote advancement and growth in his city and county. In religious faith he is a member of the German Lutheran church and fraternally belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, carrying the brotherly principles promulgated by these organizations into his everyday life. He is highly respected by all who know him as a shrewd, able business man and a valued and public-spirited citizen, who is as considerate of the interests of others and the general welfare as he is concerned in his own success.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Bar
WILLIAM C FABER


William C. Faber owns a fine farm of two hundred and seventy-five acres in Wyoming township one-half mile south of Paw Paw and is ranked among the progressive and successful agriculturists of that locality. He was born in Bureau county, this state, February 21, 1867, and is a son of Peter and Margaret (Miller) Faber. The father was one of the early settlers in Bureau county and was connected with agricultural interests there for a number of years. He died in 1885 and was survived by his wife for more than a quarter of a century, her death occurring in 1912. Both are buried in Rest Land cemetery, Mendota, Illinois.

William C. Faber acquired Ms education in the public schools of Clarion township, Bureau county, attending until he was eighteen years of age. He afterward assisted with the work of the farm and after the father's death operated the homestead in the interest of his mother, at the same time raising blooded stock. In 1890 he went to Europe and after visiting various countries upon the continent returned to America, where he continued his travels for some time. Upon his return he settled in Illinois, engaging in the meat business in partnership with his brothers Christian and George. At this time he also invested extensively in land, buying farms in Iowa and Nebraska. Eventually, however, he disposed of all of these interests and purchased the farm in Wyoming township which he has since operated. He raises grain and stock and gives practically all of his attention to the conduct of the place, which reflects his careful and constant supervision.

At Paw Paw, Illinois, in 1896, Mr. Faber was united in marriage to Miss Eva Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edmund Smith. Mrs. Faber died in 1907 and is buried in Paw Paw cemetery. She left four children: Helen M., a student in high school; Marlow L. C, also attending high school; Henry Clay; and Edmund E. On the 4th of December, 1912, Mr. Faber was again married, his second wife being Miss Emma Siegel, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Siegel, of Mitchell, Ontario. Mr. Faber is a member of the Yeomen and is independent in his political views, voting for men and measures rather than for parties. His success is the natural result of his well directed ambition, sound business judgment and practical methods and it places him in the front ranks of substantial and representative citizens of his community.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Back Home