Lee County Biography

W.W. HARSHA


Bar

Dr. W. W. Harsha was the first pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Dixon, Illinois. He came to Dixon in 1855 to establish The Dixon Collegiate Institute under the auspices of the Presbytery and served the double duty of college president and as minister to the church congregation for several years.

In 1856 Prof A.M. Gow took charge to reorganize the school leaving Dr. Harsha more time for his work as pastor of the church. Sometime prior to June 1, 1863 when the second pastor was installed, Dr. Harsha accepted the pastorate of a church in Chicago.

Written by Karen Holt from various sources

Back Home