Lee County Biography

MOSES DUDLEY HUBBARD


Bar

Moses D. Hubbard has the distinction of being the oldest living citizen that was born and now resides in Palmyra Township. His home is on sections 33 and 34, where he has a fine farm embracing one hundred and forty acres. It has been his place of residence since the 21st of April, 1865, and in the years that have since followed he has met with excellent success in his business dealings.

The birth of Mr. Hubbard occurred on the old homestead at Gap Grove, November 18, 1837, and he is the only child of Oliver A. and Eliza (Martin) Hubbard. His father was born in New Hampshire in 1804, and after his marriage emigrated Westward. With the early settlers of Lee County, IL. He cast his lot, locating at Gap Grove in Palmyra Township, where he purchased a claim and later entered land. For a short time only did he enjoy his new home, his death occurring in 1840. Some eight years later Mrs. Hubbard became the wife of W. W. Tilton, one of the pioneer settlers of Lee County, and he now resides at Gap Grove, where although he is now seventy-five years of age, he follows farming. Mrs. Tilton died the 11th of January 1892 in her eighty-second year. She was a member of the Congregational Church. By her second marriage she had two children Mrs. Hortense Gilbert, now deceased; and Frank who operates the farm.

Our subject has spent almost his entire life in this community. His primary education, acquired in the common schools, was supplemented by a course of study in Hopkinton, N. H. At the first call for troops to put down the Rebellion he enlisted on May 24th, 1861, as a member of Company B Thirteenth Illinois Infantry, the first volunteer regiment that was sworn into the United States service. Its Colonel was John B. Wyman, and the first commander of Company B, was Capt D.R. Bushnell, who was killed at the battle of Ringgold his successor being Capt. George B. Brown, now of Sterling, Illinois. The regiment was organized in Dixon and assigned to the Fifteenth Army Corp. of the Army of the West For nearly a year was quartered in Rolla, Mo., and did some important service in that locality. The troops participated in the battle at Wilson's Creek, later met the enemy at Lookout Mountain and at Ringgold where Col. Wyman fell. Again they were under fire at Chattanooga and Vicksburg and in other engagements. During a considerable portion of the time Mr. Hubbard was on detached duty and was in active service for about twenty-one months. During the first year he had an attack of measles which resulted in the loss of his voice for about eighteen months. This prevented his re-enlistment after the expiration of his first term but nevertheless he remained with his regiment for some time longer. He was a faithful soldier ever found at his post of duty and received an honorable discharge,on account of physical disability.

Since his return to the North Mr. Hubbard has given his attention to the cultivation of his farm and by his industrious and enterprising efforts has become one of the well-to-do citizens of the community. He was first married in his native township to Miss Blanche A. Coe, who was born in Palmyra Township, April 1, 1852, and was a daughter of Henry A. and Elmina (Moon) Coe. Her father was a native of the Empire State, and became one of the early settlers of Palmyra Township, where he spent an active and useful life as a farmer. His wife passed away some years previous to his death. The death of Mrs. Hubbard occurred July 15, 1884. She was a faithful and loving wife and mother, a kind neighbor and at her death many friends mourned her loss. She left six children; Nona, now the wife of Frank Byder, of Ashland, Wis.; Alonzo, Bert, Olive, Clinton and Edna.

Mr. Hubbard has since been again married, his second union being with Miss Julia Brauer, who was born in Nelson Township in 1864. Her father, Louis Brauer, a native of Germany, left the Fatherland for America when a young man and took up his residence in Lee County, IL, where he married Louisa Toel. Their domestic life began on a farm, where Mr. Brauer made his home until his death in 1872. His widow yet resides in Palmyra Township. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard are well known throughout this community and by their many friends are held in high esteem. He is a Democrat in politics and socially is a Mason, belonging to Friendship Lodge, No. 7, A. F. & A. M.; Nachusa Chapter, No. 56; R. A. M.; and Dixon Commandery, No. 21, K. T.,all of Dixon. He also holds membership with Post No. 221, G. A. R. The cause of education finds in him a warm friend and his children were provided with good advantages in that direction. He takes a commendable interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community in which he has so long made his home and with whose history he has been prominently identified for many years. Genial by nature and kindly in disposition he easily wins friends and his hospitable home is ever open for their reception.

Portraits and Biographical Lee County IL 1892 pg 564-65

Lee Co Bios Home