Lee County Biography

R.G. JACOBS


R. G. Jacobs, prominently connected with business interests of Franklin Grove as the proprietor of a first-class livery, was born in Pennsylvania, August 22, 1868. He is a son of A. S. and Louise N. (Newcumber) Jacobs, also natives of the Keystone state. The parents moved to Lee county, Illinois, in 1869, and settled in Franklin Grove, where the father engaged in the blacksmith business until his death. He was also well known in public affairs and served as postmaster of the town for several years.

One of a family of five sons, R. G. Jacobs remained at home until 1891 and then went east to Massachusetts, where he maintained his residence until 1909. In that year he returned to Franklin Grove in order to care for his mother in her old age and he established himself in the livery business, with which he has since been connected. He has a number of excellent vehicles, including a fine line of automobiles, and in connection with this operates also a feed and sale barn. His business methods have been at all times straightforward and honorable and in consequence his patronage has increased rapidly, being of extensive proportions at the present time. Mr. Jacobs owns his business building and also a comfortable and attractive home in Franklin Grove. He gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and is interested and active in public affairs, cooperating heartily in all progressive public movements. His integrity in business and his public-spirited citizenship have made him widely known in this locality and have gained him the esteem and confidence of all who are in any way associated with him.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens.

Back Home