Lee County Illinois Biography

JOHN LORD


John L. Lord (deceased), Palmyra, Lee County, Ill.; born in Hopkinton, N.H., June 10, 1829, son of John and Achsah (Gary) Lord; in 1838 came to Lee County with his parents, who first settled in Dixon, but in 1841 located on a farm in Palmyra Township, whence John L. was accustomed to walk to Dixon to attend school; besides working on the farm learned the trade of blacksmith with his father, who had established a wagon-factory; in 1850 purchased his father's interest in the wagon-factory, which some years before his death, he transferred to his son, Paul G. Mr. Lord's mother died about a year after the family removed to Dixon, and his father in 1873. June 17, 1851, he was united in marriage with Mary L. Warner, daughter of Moses M. and Orrel (Smith) Warner, who came to Lee County in 1838, and they had six children: August W. and Paul G. Lord, of Dixon, Ill.; Dr. John P. Lord, of Omaha, Neb.; Mary B., Fred and Grace, who reside with their widowed mother on the farm. Mr. Lord died March 15, 1901, as the result of a stroke of apoplexy four days previous. An ardent Republican and a man of pronounced views and thorough conviction, he was of too modest and retiring a disposition to be a prominent factor in political affairs, but served his township as a member of the Board of Supervisors, and was active in connection with agricultural and horticultural institutes in his section of the State; was one of the founders and President of the Palmyra Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and for several years President of the Lee County Old Settlers' Association. Mr. Lord was a member and liberal supporter of the Universalist church.

Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1904 History of Lee County Illinois edited by Mr. A.C. Bardwell

Back Home