Lee County Biography

Merritt Miller
Steward, Alto Township


Bar

Merritt Miller, of the firm of Miller & Emmett, dealers in grain and agricultural implements in the village of Steward, is not only prominent as a business man, but he has a high record as one of the successful farmers of Lee County, and the proprietor of one of its finely improved farms. He is also honored as one of the brave citizen-soldiers of the late war, who devoted the opening years of his manhood to his country's service.

Our subject was born in Lackawanna Township, Luzerne County, Pa., October 4, 1842, and is the oldest son of Adam and Mary (Neyhart) Miller, of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. His early education was conducted in the public schools of Wyoming County, in his native State. He was reared to habits of industry, commencing when very young to be self-supporting, working out by tbe month on a farm, and later assisting his father in the mill. He came to Lee County with his parents in 1857, and resided with them until 1862. He watched with eager interest the course of the Rebellion, and August 14, of that year, though he had not then attained his majority, he was allowed to enlist, and he became a member of Company K, Seventy-fifth Illinois Infantry. He served faithfully until after the close of the war, and in the engagements in which he fought he showed that he had in him the stuff of which true soldiers are made. He took an active part in the battles of Perryville and Stone River, and soon after the latter was placed in detached service as head clerk to the Assistant Adjutant-General, a position for which he was peculiarly fitted by reason of his quick insight into business, despatch in the discharge of his duties, and promptness in obeying orders. He went with the command in Sherman's Atlanta campaign, and after the fall of Atlanta returned to Nashville, where he became clerk at headquarters in the Quartermaster's department. He was honorably discharged with his regiment at Chicago, in June, 1865.

After he left the army, Mr. Miller returned to this county and purchased two hundred and forty acres of prairie land on sections 16 and 21, of Alto Township. The place was but very little improved, but he wrought a great change in a few years, placing the land in a high state of cultivation, planting choice fruit and shade trees, and erecting a fine set of frame buildings; he has added to his landed estate, and his farm now contains three hundred and twenty acres of land, constituting one of the best places in this part of the county. Our subject continued to carry on general farming and stock-raising until 1886, when he formed a partnership with W. H. Emmett, and they have since engaged in the grain business together abd also in tbe sale of agricultural implements and are conducting a large and profitable trade in both lines.

In 1866 Mr. Miller married Miss Carrie Norton, a native of Conneaut, Ohio, and a daughter of Sprowell Norton. Mrs. Miller is a member of the Congregational Church, and is one of its most earnest Christian workers. She is a true homemaker, and coziness and comfort reign in the home over which she presides.

Mr. Miller is well known and popular, as he is frank, generous and manly in his intercourse with others, and always ready to do any one a kindness or to help anyone in trouble. He is a member of the following organizations; Horicon Lodge No. 244, A.F. & A.M.; Rochelle Chapter, No.158, R.A.M.; Crusader Commandery, No.17, K.T.; Steward Camp, No.294, M.W.A.; Garrison Lodge, No.16, Knights of the Globe; and of Rochelle Post No. 546, G.A.R. He joined the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Rochelle, and was demitted to Steward Lodge, of which, he remained a member until it was dissolved. In politics he is a Republican and is unswerving in his allegiance to his party.

Portraits and Biographical Lee County IL

Bar

Lee Co Bios
Home


Illinois - "Our Way"