Lee County Biography

SAMUEL MONG


Samuel Mong, an influential farmer of Bradford Township, Lee County, operates a fine estate of one hundred and ten acres on section G, and through unremitting industry has become well-to-do. He was born in Clarion County. Pa., July 26, 1829, and is the son of Henry and Sarah (Burket) Mong, natives of Maryland and Huntingdon County, Pa., respectively. The parents passed mast of their lives in the Keystone State and died in Clarion County when past the prime of life. They reared a large family of children, our subject being the sixth. In his native county our subject passed his boyhood days, attending the district schools and gleaning a common-school education from the text books then in vogue. However, he enjoyed none of the opportunities that are considered essential by the youth of today. but his habits of observation and systematic reading in a large measure made up for the defects in his schooling. As soon as old enough he began to assist his father in his farming operations and gained a practical knowledge of agriculture when he was still quite young, he was about fifteen years old when he removed to Huntingdon County, Pa., where he grew to a stalwart and vigorous manhood.

At the age of sixteen Mr. Mong commenced to learn the trade of a tanner, which he followed about seven years with success. In the spring of 1855 he came to this State, settling in Lee County and working on a farm near Dixon for about two years. He was married in China Township, this county, in February, 1857, to Miss Margaret K. Kelley, daughter of William and Mary (Jacobs) Kelley. Mr. Kelley is deceased, having passed away at his home two miles south of Dixon. Mrs. Kelley is also deceased. Mrs. Margaret Mong was born in Pennsylvania and is the mother of five living children, namely: John; Lucy, the wife of Haber Schmucker; Hattie,who is now Mrs. William Schrenner; George and Peter. After his marriage Mr. Mong engaged in farming for about two years in Dixon Township, from which place he removed to China Township, and later located on his present farm on section 6, Bradford Township. His industry has been rewarded by the possession of one hundred and ten acres,which he cultivates. His estate presents a most attractive appearance to the passer-by, with its substantial set of farm buildings, its commodious residence and well-tilled fields. In politics he is a stanch Democrat and has served to the general satisfaction as School Director, having always maintained great interest in educational matters. He is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a man whose daily life proves his earnest religious belief. While he has been in the main successful, he has met with many losses, perhaps the most severe being the destruction of his barn by lightning during the spring of 1890.

Portraits and Biographical Lee County IL 1892

Back Home