Lee County Biography
In his boyhood days Edward Vaile was a pupil in the public schools of his native city and later had the advantage of a course in Dixon college. He entered upon his present business in March, 1901, organizing the firm of Vaile & O'Malley, his partner in the enterprise being George F. O'Malley. This connection has since continued. They deal in clothing, shoes and men's furnishing goods. Their store was originally located at 204 West First street, but since then their growing trade has necessitated two removals and in 1909 they came to their present place of business where they occupy a large building with a frontage of fifty feet and a depth of ninety feet. They carry a large and attractive line of goods and employ five people to take care of their trade. Mr. Vaile is also owner of two other stores, one at Sterling. Illinois, which was established in 1907 and another at De Kalb, established in 1913. Thus he is gradually extending his business connections and already ranks with the leading merchants of this part of the state. His judgment is sound, his discrimination keen and his close conformity to high business standards has also been one of the strong elements of his success.
Mr. Vaile was married to Miss Anna Hennessey, a native of Dixon and they occupy an attractive home which is the abode of warm-hearted hospitality. They hold membership in the Catholic church and Mr. Vaile belongs to the Knights of Columbus. He is also a member of the Elks and he gives his political support to the democratic party. The terms progress and patriotism might be considered the keynote of his character, for throughout his career he has labored for the improvement of every line of business or public interest with which he has been identified and at all times has been actuated by fidelity to his city and her welfare.
Transcribed by Karen Holt - 1914 History of Lee County Illinois Vol 2 by Frank E. Stevens