Members of the Theiss family built the first Catholic church in Sublette, now known as St. Marys church. Both the church and the adjoining cemetery are kept beautiful to this very day by the descendant sof the original Theiss family.
Paul Lindstrom, another old settler of Sublette, came here with Bartholomai Theiss. He was a splendid carpenter. He built the Bartholomai Theiss home which gave him a tremendous reputation.
It was he who built the Catholic church, the interior finish of which always has been made so interesting. All the beautiful carving about the finish, particularly the altar, was done by him with an ordinary pocket knife.
Dixon Evening Telegarph May 1951 - Centennial Issue