Rev. Abraham Tremper (Trimper)


Sketch of his own life given by A. A. Trimper to his son Henry Stever, in 1883

I was born at Claverack, Columbia County, N.Y. Feb. 17th 1816. My parents were born in Duchess Co. of German parentage. My Mother was of direct Holland descent. My Father was a descendant of a French Huguenot driven into Germany. My Father was a farmer, but was also an excellent mechanic; however, he depended mainly for a living upon the farm. He was well educated in German language and acquired a knowledge of the English language, after he was married, by attending night-school. He was a great reader as well as thinker, and had the faculty of acquiring knowledge very readily. His perceptive faculties were especially prominent. He was at the time of my birth, and before, a Lutheran, although his ancestors were principally Presbyterians. My Mother and her ancestors were Lutherans. Both of my parents were decidedly pious. In those times, family worship was not usual, but my Father always asked a blessing at the Table, and, in German. One morning, I happened to get up earlier than usual, and found my father engaged in prayer, which surprised me very much, and made a lasting impression on my mind. I shall never forget that prayer. This seemed to have been a regular custom with him. There were 9 children of us, one of which died in infancy, before I was born.

The oldest of the family was Catherine Van Duesen by name. She is still living. She had two children, both of whom are yet living. She was a woman of very strong, active mind, and a natural mechanic. She invented a cooking-stove, that was very popular in its day. Her daughter married John Salmon, with whom she now lives in Dakota Ter.

The next child is Maria, commonly called Polly, who married a Mr. Miller, with whom she lived a short time, when he died. Her second husband was Peter Van Dyck, with whom she had four or five children

The third daughter is Delany, who was a woman of superior mind. She married Abram Stever, with whom she had two daughters. One died in early life. The other one grew up to be a very accomplished young lady, being a graduate of the “Poughkeepsie Female Seminary.”

The fourth child was John, who died when he was forty-four years old. He was a hardware merchant, and was a man of more than ordinary intelligence. He left a large family of children, some of whom are prominent members of society in the vicinity of Valatie, at the present. He was a good man, a prominent and leading member of the Presbyterian Church.

The fifth child was a daughter Margaret by name. She married a Mr. Shufeldt. They are both dead. She was a good woman.

The next was a son, Jacob by name, who became a man of great energy, and succeeded well in active business life. His first wife, was Miss Dorcas Whitbeck, by whom, he had four children, three daughters, and a son who died in boy-hood. His fourth wife also was a Whitbeck, a Cousin of his first wife. He survived her and died in Battle Creek, Mich. in the year 1878, and was buried in Louisville, Kan, by the side of his fourth wife.

The next child was Elizabeth, who married a Mr. Miller, and with whom she had two children; both of them have gone to the Better Land. She is still living with her husband, in the vicinity of Kinderhook {Columbia Co, NY}.

Between Elizabeth and myself, was Lavinia, who died in childhood, aged 6 years

In the spring of 1824, when I was 8 years old, my father bought a piece of land, two miles west of Kinderhook, {Columbia Co, NY} on which he built a comfortable house, and a substantial barn. Here we lived ten or twelve year, and here my father died, when he was sixty-seven years old. Here my boyhood was spent, working during the summer, and attending common school during the winter. When I was about seventeen years of age, I left home to live with my brother John, and learn the hardware, tin, and stove business. He was carrying on this business, in the town of Valatie {Columbia Co, NY}, where his widow, and most of his family still reside.

When I was about eighteen years of age, I became deeply impressed with the subject of religion, and frequently, after closing the store at night, I would walk several miles to see some friend, for the purpose of conversing on the subject of religion; particularly my widowed sister Delany Stever. My convictions continued to increase and, becoming acquainted with a young Methodist friend, I opened to him, the state of my heart. He asked me one night, if I would go with him to class meeting. I hardly knew what a class-meeting was, but told him I would go with him any-where if I could find relief of mind. Accordingly; I went with him to the meeting, which was held at a private house, in an obscure part of the village. The Methodists were not much known in those days, and were not much respected, but at this class-meeting, I saw a number of persons whom I had met before, several at my father’s house, visiting my older brother and my sisters. Among others, a Mr. Starkweather, who was a teacher of one of the schools of the village, and a man of intelligence, who afterward became a prominent – Methodist minister. The old class-leader, Mr. Penoyer, after opening the meeting with song and prayer, made a short statement of his own experience and then propounded the question, to the other persons there in regular order, as to their progress in the devine life. The answers received from different ones interested me, for it was a novel scene to me. The substance of Mr. Starkweather’s remarks, was, he would rather march to the martyr’s stake, than to deny my Lord and Master. The remarks of the others were of such a character that I was deeply impressed that they possessed the religion of the Bible. When the old class-leader came to me, he supposed that I was a member of the Presbyterian ch., as my brother was, and supposing that I was such, he asked me what progress I was making in the religious life. I told him I was not a christian. He asked me if I wanted to be. I could only reply by saying “yes.” He then quoted several passages of scripture to encourage me, such as “The angels of God rejoice over one sinner that repentith, more than over ninety and nine just persons that need no repentance.” At the close of the meeting, some one led in prayer in my special behalf. The young friend who invited me to the meeting, accompanied me to the store where I slept. He did not go in, but I, as soon as I had entered the room, retired to the back part of the building, and kneeled down in prayer for my burden was heavier than ever, and I was determined to seek relief, if possible at the Mercy Seat. After praying some time, I arose with a view of going to bed, but feeling that my burdens still were pressing me to the earth. I kneeled down again in prayer, and made a full surrender to God, for time and for eternity. I had been, more or less, under the influence of that baneful teaching, that those who were elected to be saved, would be saved, and those who were not, would not, do what they would. This doctrine brought to my mind very deeply the thought that I was a reprobate, that I was dammed, and that I would be lost. This sentiment of fatality I was obliged to comfort, and I then and there resolved, whether a reprobate or not, I would consecrate myself to God. I arouse from my knees with a light heart, laid down in my bunk, and began to experience beautiful emotions, such as I had never had before, and which I did not understand, and I began to ask myself the question “Is this religion?” “Is this what the Methodists call religion?” I woke up in the morning with this same delightful feeling, very new with me – new and beautiful, and my Bible was a new book to me. My young Methodist friend called to see how I was. I gave him a simple statement of the facts. He went away and reported that I was converted. This came to my brother John’s ears, and he in a very grave manner addressed me saying “Abram, take care. There was a young man down the river that thought he was converted, but he soon became as bad as ever.” This filled my mind with gloom. I began to feel that I had deceived myself and others, until one day, I resolved that if there was such a thing as religion, I would seek until I found it. I had not prayed long before my former confidence was restored. I then said to myself “Brother John, you cannot rob me again of my peace of mind”. I seemed to be a new man in more respects than one. I became eager to acquire knowledge. I resolved to cultivate myself which was an entirely new idea with me, for I had never cared about knowledge before this. On one occasion, taking up a missionary paper, my eye fell upon this sentence “Come over and help us.”

This seemed to impress me as a personal call to become a missionary. After considering the matter for a night or two, my mind was more and more impressed that I ought to be a missionary; and, that for this purpose, I must quit the business I was in, and seek an education. My brother’s partner, to whom I was bound as an apprentice, refused to give me my freedom, and it was a year, or more, when, (probably through the solicitations of my friends), he yielded. I then commenced going to school, having nothing but a very limited common-school education. I commenced the study of the Latin and Greek languages. I boarded wherever I could, sometimes at a distance of three miles from Kinderhook, where I commenced my classical studies, and worked mornings, evenings and Saturdays for my board. After studying and teaching school to pay my way two or three years, and having united with the Lutheran church at Valatie, Rev. Jacob Berger, my pastor sent me to Hartwick Seminary, Otsego, N.Y. Here I graduated in the Literary department, which prepared me for the junior class in Union College or Theological Seminary at Hartwick. But the institution at Hartwick, now was temporarily suspended, for the purpose of repairing the building. My pastor, therefore sent me to Gettysburg. Here I commenced my theological course. I pursued the usual course of theological studies under the tuition of Rev. Dr. S. S. Schmucker, C. P. Krauth, and H. J. Schmidt, paying all my expenses by my own exertions.

In the spring of 1840, on the first day of March, I married (Catherine Miller) the oldest daughter of Daniel Miller, Esq. Who was then steward of the Seminary at Gettysburg. We immediately left for the west, like Abraham of old, not knowing whither we went. Our first objective point was the state of Ohio, but not finding any opening as teacher or minister, through the advice of a stranger we met, we went on to the state of Illinois. We traveled by water from Pittsburg to St. Louis. While on this part of the journey we had for a fellow-passenger, Phinias Young, brother to Brigham, the great figure-head of Mormonism. He tried to convert us to his doctrines, but could make no impression on myself or my wife. From St. Louis we went by boat up the Illinois river as far as Fisher’s Ferry. Thence we were taken to Griggsville, by an ox-team. Not finding a school in Griggsville, I was recommended to _ first _ Pittsfield, Ills the county seat of Pike Co. Here I obtained a very good school, and taught until fall. Here I found Rev. M. Carter, a graduate of Yale College, who proved himself to be not only a true christian, but a champion of the truth. In the fall of 1841, I attended the Lutheran Synod of the West, which met at the city of Indianapolis, Ind. I traveled the distance (over two hundred miles) on horseback. By this synod I was licensed to preach the Gospel, and, subsequently I was called, in the same fall, as pastor of the Lutheran church of Indianapolis. Here I became the successor of Rev. Abraham Rick, a prominent minister of the Gospel in the Luth. Ch. And a pioneer in the west. I remained with this church until I found myself in debt, although my family was small and my expenses were comparatively nothing. I went into the country and taught school to pay my indebtedness. Feeling that teaching, for the present, must be my main support, I accepted an invitation, to take charge of the school, in Knightstown, Ind. In the fall of 1843, the Ev. Luth. Synod of the West, met in Boone County, Kentucky; and here, I was ordained a minister of the Gospel. In the spring of 1844, I received a call from the Luth. Ch. At Hillsboro, Ills. This was, in all probability, the oldest Lutheran church in the state and in the west, with one exception. I was here the successor of Rev. Daniel Sherer, also a pioneer minister of the west. The salary promised me, was three hundred dollars, half, money, and half produce. The produce I usually got but only a small portion of the money. After three years of pastoral work, we were very much reduced, pecuniarily so, that one winter my wife was laid up with inflamatory rheumatism, for the want of proper underclothing.

About this time, Mr. John S. Hayward, one of the original settlers from Boston, Mass., and also one of the founders of the Hillsboro academy, came to me, and asked me whether I would take charge of the Academy for a short time, until the president, (who had gone south on account of an affection of his lungs) returned. This president never returned. Consequently, I was retained as president of the academy, and held the position for a number of years. In connection with the labors of the academy, I still continued to fill my regular pastoral appointments, which were usually two or three each Sabbath, and the riding from ten to twenty miles. In the course of a few years, the Luth. Churches of Ills., began to feel the need of an institution of learning, where they might educate young men for the ministry. A “Board of Trustees” was organized, arrangement made, and a committee appointed, to select a location. There were but two places that offered any inducements for the location of such an institution of learning. These were Springfield and Hillsboro. When the Board met for the final selection of the place, the unaminous vote, with one exception, was for Hillsboro. Rev. Francis Springer was chosen president. The citizens of Hillsboro, not willing that I should leave the school, petitioned the Board, that I should be made second professor. This offended Mr. Springer, and he declined to come and take charge of the school as agreed, and I was compelled to carry on the school in his name. When I became tired of that arrangement, I removed with my family into the country compelling Mr. Springer either to come and take charge of the school, or to resign his position. He, however, came, moved his family from Springfield, and entered upon his work as “President of Hillsboro Literary Institute”. The arrangements of the Board of Trustees and Mr. Springer, excluded all females from this school, and I was solicited by the citizens of Hillsboro, to establish a female institution of learning. This school proved a success, and was sustained for several years.

As the students in the “Institute” increased, especially the Theological Students, it was deemed necessary that a professor of Theology be connected with the school. Rev. S. W. Harkey, of Frederick, Md., was invited to become that professor. He visited Hillsboro, Springfield, Peoria, and other places, with a view of ascertaining what these towns would do for an institution of learning, provided one should be located in their midst. Springfield was selected. The Institute moved there, by reason of which the Luth. Church forfeited the property at Hillsboro; which had been dedicated to her, on the condition that she would maintain a classical school for a term of twenty years. The institution was taken to Springfield, the Capital of the state, because the citizens pledged themselves between $35000.00 and $45000.00 in Scholarships, to be secured by mortgage on real-estate,. Only a very small portion of this amount was so secured. The scholarships proved a disadvantage to the institution, for many students from a distance, would be intercepted by those holding certificates and persuaded to purchase them at half price. The institution was not successful. Mr. Springer’s successor, was, through the influence of the Harkey’s, Rev. Dr. Reynolds, formerly a professor in Pennsylvania College. He was a very good classical scholar, and a good teacher, but, like many learned men, was very deficient in managing finances. The institution had accumulated a very heavy debt, in the erection of the building, as very little or nothing was contributed to its erection by the citizens of Springfield, while it had forfeited a building worth $8000.00 or $10000 at Hillsboro. My connection with the institution ceased when it was removed from Hillsboro to Springfield. The debt of which I have just spoken, was the cause of the final dissolution of the College. Rev. Dr. Reynolds united with the Episcopal church, and became principal of a female seminary in the city of Chicago. Rev. Dr. Harkey returned to the pastoral work. Prof. Edmund Miller returned to Hillsboro, and took charge of the Academy, which had now reverted to the original trustees. I removed from Hillsboro to the northern part of the state, but, before settling down, I with my wife and two children then living, visited friends in the state of N. Y. This was the first opportunity my wife had ever had in visiting any of my relations. My aged mother was then still living, but in a few years, died, at the age of eighty-three. We stayed several months with my relations at Kinderhook, Valatia, and in western N.Y. where my brother Jacob lived. We then returned to the west. On my return to Ills., I became the successor of Rev. Ephraim Miller, who had been pastor of the Luth. Ch. at Oregon, Ogle Co, Ills. I said that two of my children went with us to the State of N.Y. Three were sleeping in the cemetery at Hillsboro. Maria, our oldest child, when about eight years of age, was taken sick at school at one o’clock, one day and at five, the same afternoon, was a corpse, being the first victim of Asiatic Cholera, in Hillsboro. Helen Gertrude was born April 3rd 1849 and died, Dec. 15th of the same year. She was a sweet, lovely child. Alfred, was born Dec. 14th 1850 and died when a year and 8 months old, a bright promising boy. The remains of these three are still at Hillsboro. At their graves I have erected suitable tombstones. Maria was a pretty child, fair, with large, expressive blue eyes, very active and loving, got along well in her studies, and, for her age, a remarkably good reader.

At Oregon, we buried a pair of twins, on the west bank of Rock River. They died within a few days of each other. Their names were William Abraham and Mary Elizabeth.

From Oregon we moved to the city of Peru, where I took charge of the Peru Academy, and held it about one year. Here our son Henry was born. This was in 1854. Thence we moved to Peoria Co. My health, owing to close confinement in the school-room had broken down so badly I was obliged to resort to outdoor employment, in order to build up. I bought a little farm at a place called Pennsylvania Ridge, a little settlement, where I took charge of a church and ran my 20 acre farm. On the way from Peoria city out to the farm Henry took off one of his shoes, and we lost it on the road. Thence we removed to the state of Iowa, to a place called Eddyville. Here I took charge of the public school, having three teachers under me and was pastor of the Luth. Ch. a “house mission.” From here we went to Knoxville, the county seat of Marion County. Here I was pastor of the Luth. Ch. and opened a select school, as the public school was not giving satisfaction, and the ch. was weak and poor. Here Lucy was born in 1857, in a beautiful grove (adjoining the town), in which our little home was almost hid. At the time of her birth I was away from home attending a meeting of the General Synod of the Ev. Luth. Ch. of U.S. which convened that year at Reading, Pa. This was my first attendance on that body, though I have since been a delegate to the same a number of times.

Then I was elected President of Mendota Female College, and moved there and took charge in 1858, but, becoming dissatisfied with the management of the trustees of that institution, I moved to Canton, Ills. Though the influence of Dr. Harkey, then a professor of Illinois State University, I was appointed financial agent of that institution. I travelled mostly in Pa., and was very successful until the election of Abraham Lincoln, when war was declared, and financial matters were in such confusion, I was obliged to return home. I omitted to state, that, at Canton, Ill, our son Edward Payson was born. After I returned from the College agency, we lived at Cedarville, Ills, where I was pastor of a large church of several congregations. From here we removed to Lena, about 14 miles northwest of Freeport. It was while we lived here our son John was killed in the battle of Fort Donelson. He had volunteered seven months before for three years or the war, while we lived in Cedarville. In Lena our youngest child was born Mary Lyon.

Having received a call from the Luth. Ch, in Muncy, Pa, I resigned my pastoral charge of the Lena church. I did not however, go to Muncy, Pa., but, instead, accepted a call to the church at Dixon, Lee Co, Ills. Here I served for five years until my health failed, when, for that cause, I was obliged to resign. I now became the financial agent of “Carthage College”, a new institution, organized by the Luth. Ch., in consequence, of the failure of “Illinois State Univesity”, and “Mendota College”. I traveled in the interest of this new institution, three years, and secured an endowment of between thirty-four and thirty-five thousand dollars. But then, in consequence of the failing health of my wife, we sought a milder climate and located in Lawrence, Kan, in the spring of 1873. Here I became pastor of the English Luth. Ch. Here it was that our son Henry graduated at the “Kansas State University”, and then from the law department of the “University of Mich.” At Ann Arbor. Here Edward Payson attended the University and lacked but one year of graduation when, because of my broken health, it was deemed better, that he should learn some trade. He went into the office of the Western Union Telegraph Co here and soon became a very successful operator. Here Lucy Ellen married W. O. Fricker and removed to Clayton, Mo. Here in Oct 1881 my good wife was taken away by death, and one month afterward, Mrs. Trimper’s mother, Mrs. Elisabeth Miller, died. Here, in the spring of 1883, my health having failed to that degree, I was obliged to resign my pastoral charge of the church. Our daughter Mary L. supplied the place of her mother to the utmost of her ability in taking charge of the family affairs and her father.


This sketch was given, simply as a pastime and practice in Stenography for bro. Henry and was never copied, till after my father’s death. Hence, if it contain mistakes they are scarcely my father’s. K. T. U.

In the fall of 1879, our father had a very severe and protracted attack of typhoid fever, which left him in very feeble health. It was, indeed, as a sequence of this that his final disease resulted. The first year after our mothers death, he continued a great sufferer, so feeble as to require the almost constant attention of some one or other. Mary was his right hand, and nurse. Sept. 13th 1883 he was married to Mrs. Susan R. Rand. His health at this time was somewhat improved, and became better, and so continued till a few months before his death.

The day before Pa’s second marriage Henry Stever was married to Miss Emma Poehler at the residence of the bride’s father Mr. Theodore Poehler. (Henry, Edward and Mary were all married by our father).

On Feb. 7th 1884, Mary L. was married at Pa’s home to Albert C. Hamilton, (photographer), and Mar 6th 1884 Edward P. was married to Miss Hattie Arnold. E. P. was the last of the children to marry, the eldest living, Katie (the, writer here) having been married at Dixon, Ills, Nov 11th 1866 to Mr. Jonathan Uhl. (flour miller)

On Sunday, Oct. 19th, 1884, Pa was taken very ill while at church, but afterward seemed to mend for a time, then grew worse, other better, till early in Dec. we found he was gradually but steadily failing. On Sunday Dec. 21st he baptized the infant daughter of his son Henry, I stood sponsor and the baby was named Helen Catharine in honor of its grandmother Catherine Tremper.

On Monday his physician told him he was “bound for Glory.” This statement he received as quietly, as calmly, as if some friend he had looked for, had called for him. When he saw us all weeping he wept at the thought of parting but tried to make us realize how much better he would be. Said he “I have no ecstacies but a firm hope”. This was in answer to one who asked him “What is your prospect for Trimper?” During the last week he repeated many passages of scripture indicative of his calm reliance upon the Divine Arm. On Wednesday night at his urgent request Mary and I Sang “Rock of Ages,” “Nearer my god to Thee”, and several other hymns. Thursday night he asked to have the whole family sing. This, though a severe task to the singers, was done, he nodding his head frequently in approval of the sentiments of the hymns.

His most intimate friend, Rev. A. M. Richardson, had promised several years before to conduct his funeral (if he survived him.) and he was a frequent caller. It was like hearing a poem read, to hear them quote passage after passage of scripture, really conversing in scriptural language. When about to take his leave on Friday afternoon Pa said “Brother Richardson, if I am not here when you come again, remember, it will all be right. I have fought a good fight – I have finished my course. I have kept the faith”. Here strength failed, his head dropped on his bosom but Mr. R. took up the broken thread, and as he said, “Hence forth, there is laid up for me a crown, which the Lord my righteous Judge shall give me at that day.” Pa raised his head and, a beautiful smile illuminating his blue eyes, he nodded his head and said “yes, yes.”

Saturday night, near midnight, as his children all stood sadly around his bed, he said in a distinct voice “Goodnight” then signified he wished to kiss each one. We all complied, receiving what each considers the most precious kiss of all their lives. This done, he raised his weak and trembling hands to heaven and slowly and distinctly blessed his children in these words, “The Lord, our God, bless thee and keep thee, Amen.” About half an hour later he said “I want you all to unite” then his voice failed him for a moment. “with you in prayer, Pa?” I said. He nodded his head and we all knelt. He led us, himself in a short but earnest prayer for Divine support during the final struggle. This night also we sang for him. It soothed, and comforted him to hear “Rock of Ages,” “Nearer my god” & “How firm a Foundation”. His sufferings, which were terrible to witness, ended at 8 o’clock Sunday Morning, yet never, for a moment, was there a look or sign of a disturbed mind. The future gave him no trouble and he said “I know in whom I have believed and by God will not desert me now.” During the last week his pain had been unremitting and extreme, and at dissolution his dear face showed a degree of agony that wrung our hearts.

His remains were placed in a beautiful casket of cypress wood, and on Wednesday, the last day of the year, we carried him from his earthly home and laid him to rest beside our dear mother between the graves of our mother and our Grandmother, there to rest till the great day of reunion. May his children live as he lived and die as calmly.

His character was that of a christian gentleman. His heart so large he found room there for all. The rich, the poor, the scholar, the unlearned, - all. Said one who was speaking of him as a man of broad views and liberal mind and loving heart, “Why, sin, although one of the most outspoken and strongest temperance men, he is such a gentleman and so kind that the lowest saloon man in town, will take off his hat quicker to Mr. Trimper than to any one else.”

Without intending it so, the selection of pall bearers was an illustration of his hold on all classes. There were two ministers, one a D. D. one college professor, one wholesale grocer, one miller and one superintendent of city street car and omnibus lines. At the funeral an old man threw himself on the casket and wept aloud exclaiming “My friend, my friend”. Afterward I asked who he was. “Mr. Pollock”. “Who is Mr. Pollock?” He was a man whose hand is against every man and every man’s hand against him” And yet he wept aloud over my father’s lifeless form. The old colored washer woman, weeping said “He was just an angel for years.” And this man, loved so dearly by the poor and ignorant, was a scholar and a saint, and the associate of the best intellectially, socially, and religiously wherever he lived. K. T. U. (Katie {Trimper} Uhl - wife of Jonathan Uhl)

Notes from Margarat:
Souvenir Programme of the Semi-Centennial Jubilee and Re-dedication of St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Dixon, Illinois. The second church was erected on the present location in 1868, under pastor Rev. A. A. Trimper, and dedicated in January, 1869. Cost of building $14,664.81

Family records: Married, in the old Luth. church at Dixon, Ills, on Sunday evening, Nov 11th 1866, by Rev. Ephraim Miller, Jonathan Uhl, and Sarah C. Tremper. Rev. A. A. Trimper and Rev. Wm. Uhl also assisted in the ceremony. The bridesmaids were Josie E. Uhl, sister of the groom and Mary Catharine Addams, of Cedarville, Ills. The groomsmen were Emanuel C. Uhl, (brother) and Albert Ferguson. (Rev. Ephraim Miller is the brother of Catherine {Miller} Tremper, and the uncle of Sarah C. Tremper)

The Rev. Trimper died in Lawrence, Douglas Co KS on 28 December 1884 and is buried beside his wife Catherine (Miller) Trimper who was born 14 September 1820 and died 14 October 1881.

Their children were Mary Louisa 11 June 1841 Cumberland Co PA; John 27 June 1843 Henry Co IN; Sarah Catharine 28 April 1845 Montgomery Co IL; Helen Gertrude 03 April 1849 Montgomery IL; Charles Alfred 14 December 1850 Montgomery IL; William Abraham 7 February 1853 Ogle Co IL; Mary Elizabeth 7 February 1853 Ogle Co IL; Henry Stever 10 August 1854 LaSalle Co IL; Lucy Ellen 21 May 1857 Marian Co IA; Edward Payson 16 February 1860 Fulton Co IL; Mary Lyon 31 July 1862 Stephenson Co IL.


Copyright 2004 © Margaret Gagliardi
Please do not copy this story without the permission of Margaret Gagliardi


Lee Co Featured Families Home

Illinois - "Our Way"