Lee County Military


Mr. and Mrs. LeRoy Beers entertained with a family dinner Sunday in honor of their son Pfc. Kenneth BEERS who has recently returned to the US after being wounded in action on Morotai Island on Nov. 11. He is enjoying a 21 day furlough with relatives and friends before reporting to Winters hospital in Topeka KS. Those present for the dinner besides the hosts were their son Maurice Allen Beers, Mrs. Mary Beers and daughter Edna, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Albright, Mr. and Mrs. Adon Albright, Mr. and Mrs. John Ortgiesen, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Tyler and son Larry, Mr. and Mrs. James Ruth, Miss Anna Korter and Frances Cotter.
Dixon Evening Telegraph February 7, 1945

BONNELL, Darwin Army - missing in action since October 18, 1944

BUCHMAN, Rodney Vail

20,601,612 82nd AB. 504 PIF, Service Co
Enlisted in the US Regular Army March 1941,Service #20601612.
A paratrooper of Company C,1st Battalion the 504th Inf.,82nd Div. All American Airborne.
He was in the invasions of Sicily, Salerno, Anzio, Holland, Belgium and Germany
and was killed in action in Belgium Dec 26, 1944 while loading supplies on a truck near the front lines.
Highest rate held SSGT. Read Book by a member of the same unit "Those Devils In Baggy Pants",
a story about Company C's exploits during WWII.
Found on "Find-A-Grave" by "ATV Nut" - Photo "anonymous".

BURDETTE, Sgt. Eldon - Stationed at Salinas Ca., spent a 15 day furlough at home with Mrs. Burdettes mother Mrs. Letha Hoskins June 1944

BUTLER, Glenn Elwood

Born Dec. 9, 1922
Died May 31, 1958
Buried at Woodside Cemetery Lee Co IL
Buried at Woodside Cemetery Lee Co IL


Corp. Wm. C. CECCHETTI son of Mr. and Mrs. Milo Cecchetti, 914 College Ave. is spending a 10 day furlough in Dixon. Bill recently completed a Diesel Mechanic Course at Aberdeen MD. is a recruit instructor at Camp Crowder MO. (May 20, 1944)

Denzel G. CLARK enlisted in the army Nov. 11, 1942 and is a former employee of Clark's Service Station. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Clark, now stationed overseas. (May 20,1944)

CONSIDINE, Hubert D., born 1 July 1919 - Died 23 Sep 1974 buried in Holy Cross Cemetery Harmon IL. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Considine.

COSS, Lt. Wesley G, Recently returned from service outside the continental US is being processed through Army Air Force Redistribution Station in Miami Beach Fl. 1st Lt. Coss B-17 Pilot, flew 21 missions during 7 months in the European theater of war. He is the son of Mr. Arthur Coss of Paw Paw

CROMBIE, Ensign Ruth - (WAVE) - Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Crombie, near Nelson

After serving 30 months in the southwest Pacific Pfc. Allen E. CROUSE, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Crouse of Eldena has left the 32nd Infantry Division in New Guinea for a rotational furlough in the US. Pfc. Crouse is a veteran of two campaigns, including the fight for Burma. He holds the combat Infanctryman Badge for exemplary behavior in action, the Good Conduct Medal and the Distinguished Unit Badge. Entering the Army October 22, 1941, Crouse was assigned to Camp Roberts Calif. where he received basic training. He was later sent to Ft. Ord Calif. and in April 1942 began his overseas service.

Cpl. Elwood CRUSE of the Eng. Bn. Camp Polk LA has been spending a 15 day furlough with his wife in Dixon and his parents Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Cruse in Inlet. (Dixon Evening Telegraph - 24 November 1944)

DENISON, Neale Russell, graduated from the Electrical School at Purdue University, May 11. After receiving a rating of third-class petty officer, electricians mate, he spent a 24 hour leave at the home of his mother Mrs. Helen Denison 718 Chicago Ave. After returning to Purdue he was transferred to the Norfolk Naval Base. Neale expects to be assigned to the U S Fleet immediately.
Dixon Evening Telegraph May 20, 1944.

DENISON, William, has been reassigned to a naval base in Florida. He was formerly stationed at Norfolk VA. Bills brother Paul SC-2/c recently enjoyed a 5 day leave in Scotland. William and Paul are sons of Mrs Helen Denison of 718 Chicago Ave.

Supply Sgt. Lawrence DOUGHERTY, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.L. Dougherty of 817 S. Hennepin has recently been cited for "mertiorous and efficient performance of duties in the supply service". The citation referred to his action as descreet and reliable besides showing his initiative in compiling logistical information. His conduct throughout wasin keeping with the highest standards of the U.S. Navy.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 15 August 1945

Urban Henry EAKLE - WW II Draft Registration 1942. Born 10 Oct 1877 Harmon IL, Lee County. Farmer, Medium Brown Eyes, Dark brown hair.

Robert EMMERT is enjoying a ten day leave in Dixon at the home of his parents the Howard Emmerts of 611 College Ave. (May 20, 1944)

FALEY, Francis B & John M - Two sons of Mr. and Mrs. John Faley of Amboy are in the service. Francis B. Faley is now stationed at Phoenix AZ., after serving in the infantry in Germany. John M. Faley who received his basic training at the Great Lakes Naval training station is at Tokyo Bay aboard the USS Cecil J. Doyle
Dixon Evening Telegraph 04 January 1946

FENWICK, Pvt. Estelle E. - The remains of Pvt. Estelle E. Fenwick will arrive in Dixon Monday evening,h is father John Fenwick, Amboy, has been notified. The remains will be taken to Jones funeral home upon arrival here. Private Fenwick, 24, was killed in France, July 30, 1944. He is survived by his three daughters, Mary Ellen, Carroll and Jo Anne; his father, a sister, Mrs. Joseph McCoy, three brothers, Lullus, WIlliam and Rapheal all of Walnut. Military funeral services will be held from the Jones Funeral home at 9 a.m. and at St. Mary's church, Walton, 9:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. Burial will be in St. Patrick's cemetery, Amboy.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 30 Oct 1948

FOWLER, Corp. William, stationed at Columbia S.C. April 1945

Dwight E. FULMER has returned to the army air base at Tonopah Nev. after spending a 15 day furlough with relatives and friends at Dixon. (May 20, 1944)

First Lt. Elizabeth DURKES who is home visiting her mother Mrs. Elizabeth Durkes of Franklin Grove was honored Saturday evening when Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Morris entertained at a dinner party for her. Lt. Durkes is home on a 15 day leave. (Dixon Evening Telegraph 17 July 1944)

GARLAND, Joseph A. - Enlisted in the armed service in 1941. He served as a 1st Lt. with the 8th Air Force in the E.T.O. Joseph married Avis Harvey October 19, 1946.

Pfc. Leroy O. GENZ has been enjoying a furlough with his parents Mr. and Mrs. Max Genz in Nelson. He was an MP at a camp in Texas volunteering for the infantry before leaving for home. Pvt. Genz has two brothers in service. Glen who is in the medical corps in Italy and Earl who is a Bluejacket in the Navy. Earl is reported to have been in the thick of the French invasion.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 12 August 1944

GRAFTON, Capt. Louis - Friends have received word from Mrs. Esther Grafton, she is now at Topeka Kansas where her husband Capt. Louis Grafton is resting in the Army General Hospital. He is very nervous and tired but otherwise unhurt. Mrs. Grafton is staying in the home of a Presbyterian minister and family there.
Dixon Daily Telegraph January 6, 1945

HEINRICH, Kenneth, a former resident of Sublette, has completed his training at Kessler Field, Miss. and is now an aviation student at Spring Hill College, AL.

HENRY, Clarence A., Tech. Sgt. Clarence A Henry, 1021 Palmyra Ave. Dixon is one of 1743 veterans aboard the USS President Adams which left Yokohama Japan December 21st and is expected to arrive in Seattle Wash. today.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 04 January 1946

HEPFER, Joe B. - Son of Mr. & Mr. Paul Hepfer, Jackson Ave. Dixon, has been promoted from 2nd LT. . to First Lt. by Brig. Gen. Jesse Auton, commanding general of the 65th Fighter Wing of the 8th Air Force stationed in England. Lt. Hepfer is the assistant abjutant of the wing. He was graduated from Dixon High School and was employed by Murray E. Wentling at the time of his entry into the Army in March 1941. He was graduated from officer candidate school at Ft. Benning GA in October 1942 and transferred to the Air Corps in Febuary 1943. He completed flying training in FL and went overseas in April 1941. He participated in fighter plane support of the invasion on D-day. (Dixon Evening Telegraph 7 April 1945)

HERRIETY, Lt. Austin - German prisoner of war since August 3, 1944 when his plane went down over Fruderichafen. His wife received a letter 27 October in which he said that he was fine.

Robert L. HESS, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Hess, a 1943 graduate of Dixon High School has been in service for 8 months (May 20, 1944)

Pvt. Robert E. HINTZ, route 3 Dixon and Corp. Verlis W. Tadd of Ashton are members of the 57th Signal Battalion of the Sixth Army group now serving in Germany. Upon this unit rests a large share of responsibility for maintenance of communications for the U.S. Seventh Army in General Jacob L. Devers Sixth Army group. Veterans of D Day landings at Salerno and Anzio in Italy, in Southern France, these communications experts know what it means to work hard and move fast. Men of the batallion have met every demand on skill and energy said Lt. Col. Arthur C. Hill, Auburndale, Mass. commanding officer. In a recent 6 weeks period when troop movements called for extra effort our companies laid 554 miles of field wire and took over and rehabiliated 2,145 miles of French Wire. The 57th Signal battalion began overseas service in February, 1943 at Oran, North Africa. Its members, under shelling and bombing at Anzio improvished plows to bury their wire and thus improved communications. The battalion was awarded the 5th Army Plaque and clasp in the Italin Campaigns. Courage of its personnel is attested by two silver stars, six bronze stars medals and 13 soldiers awards medals.

JEANBLANC, Lt. Keith, received his commission and silver wings as a navigator on an airplane at Ellington Airfield Texas, Saturday morning. He and his fiancee Miss Adele Goddel of Waterloo, Ill., are expected here (Lee Center) on a furlough the fore part of this week.

JONES, Carroll Joseph - volunteered for the Army in April 1941. He served with the infantry at Camp Forrest, Tenn., until October 1941, when he was released due to the death of his father, which occurred in June of that year. He then was employed at the Green River Ordinance Plant until August 1942 when he was called back to the colors. He received his training and served with military police in various camps in the United States and arrived overseas in July 1944. At the time of his death he was serving in the infantry in the 90th Division of General Pattons 3rd Army. He was posthoumously awarded the purple heart for meritorious service and for wound received in action resulting in his death
Dixon Daily Telegraph 10 April 1945

JOYNT, Raymond Eugene - Enlisted in the U.S. marines and was killed by a sniper on Guam. Raymond is buried in Honolulu, Hawaii

M.M. 3/c Irvin KNAUER of Great Lakes Naval Station arrived home last Wednesday to spend a 10 day furlough with his wife, daughter and other relatives.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 02 June 1944

Irvin "Lefty" Knauer, West Brooklyns stellar port hurler in the Pre War days, who is now a machinest mate in the U.S. Navy is enjoying a short furlough at home.
2 August 1944

Sgt. Bernard KOEHNE & S 1/C Bruce KOEHNE fighting sons of Mr. and Mrs. Harold H. Noland of Eldena IL. are both serving overseas. Beranrd of the Marine Air Corps was on duty in the South Pacific as a navigator before conducting a class for navigators in the states. He is now returned to overseas duty and is again serving as a navigator covering an area from the tip of Russia to Indo China. His brother Bruce entered the service June 1944, and took his training at Williamsburg Va. He then spent some time in New Guinea and is now stationed in the Philipine Islands.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 26 May 1945

LEDINE, Clifford, son of Mrs. Anna Humphrey, 208 Lincoln Way is now stationed at Portland Oregon (May 20, 1944)

LEPPERD Jr., Lt. Thomas Edwin - Enlisted in MacArthur's 8th Air Force, 139th Division Dec 12, 1941, discharged March, 1946. Thomas was born 20 April 1915. He married Regina Cecco after the war on December 28, 1949 in Rockford IL.

Edward D. LEVAN, son of Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Levan, route 1, has been promoted from private first class to T/5 grade at Kelly Field, San Antonio TX. He is assigned to the 885th Signal Company Depot and serving as a radio repairman. He entered the army on Aug. 27, 1943.

Pfc. George Henry LITTS, Pfc. - Liberated from a German prison Camp, April 1945.

MMM 1/C Kenneth L MARSHALL, Eldena Coast Guardsman (Picture Not Available) making a routine checkup in the engine room aboard a Coast Guard manned LST engaged in amphibious operations agains Jap position in the Pacific. Marshall's ship is charged with the landing of troops, supplies and heavy fighting equipment for invasion forces and is an important unit helping to crush the axis. A veteran of two years coast duty, Marshall is married to the former Helen Lyle of Eldena. They have a month old son whom the Coast Guardsman has never seen. Marshall's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Marshall live in Dixon.

Earnest M. MASON, 524 S. Dixon Ave., is among the cadets receiving pre flight courses at the San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center.(May 20, 1944)

Corp. Robert MATTERN returned from Chicago Thursday, after spending a few days visiting his sister Cadet Marion Mattern, on duty at St. Vincent hospital. Corp. Mattern leaves for Camp Bowie Texas the first of the week after a two week furlough at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Foster Mattern.
Dixon Evening Telegraph January 6, 1945

Corp. Raymond Wilbur MCBRIDE - The navy department today announed that Corp. Raymond Wilbur McBride of the United States Marine Corp., son of Mrs. Mary McBride, Lee Center, was wounded in action in the South Pacific Theatre of operations.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 13 August 1945

First Sgt. Reuben McBRIDE
An interesting letter has been received from First Sgt. Reuben McBride of the 77th Med. Bn., "somewhere in Belgium". He says from all reports we have suffered a terrible winter and they had plenty of it there but now it is springlike and beautiful. He saw S/Sgt. Roland Ullrich twice before he left for the U.S. and also Leroy Hannerman. He also met a first Lt. from Walnut who knows many people that he does. So far as the outcome of hostilities ending he says the only thing he looks forward to is the South Pacific. He will be glad to hear from friends here.

From the Dixon Evening Telegraph 13 March 1945

McCULLOUGH, W.H. - An open house and scramble supper will be the features of the evening at Eldena Church Monday Oct. 29 when at 6:30 o'clock a group of friends will honor Mr. and Mrs. W.H. McCullough. Mr. McCullough has recently been discharged from the Navy after having served over four years. Mrs. McCullough is the daughter of the former Doris Shippert, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Shippert of Dixon.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 26 October 1945

McKUNE, Peter, received his rating May 1st and is now a petty officer 2nd class. His wife and son Michael and his mother Mrs. M.J. McKune, 1222 W.7th St. recently visited Peter in Bost Mass.
Dixon Evening Telegraph May 20, 1944

McMILLIAN, Eugene D, is now a member of Uncle Sam's Navy stationed at Great Lakes. (1944)

METZEN, Corp. Theodore - Stationed at Camp Grubber, OK in April 1945. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Metzen.

MILLER, Lieut. Celeste (ANC), Daughter of Mrs. Bessie M. Miller of Nelson

MULKINS, Pfc. Louis, was seriously wounded in France Jan. 20 a telegram received by his wife, who resides at 79 Van Buren avenue revealed yesterday. He is recovering in a French hospital, the message stated. A letter, advising of the soldier's exact condition is to follow. (Dixon Evening Telegraph 16 February 1945).

NORTH, Pfc. Gerald, was discharged from Ft. Sheridan under the Armys new point system. Pfc. North over three years in the army, 31 months of which he was overseas. He saw action in the North Africian campaign and also in Sicily, Italy, France, Belgium, and Germany. He arrived home from Duren, Germany Mary 17 (1945).

Pfc North is entitled to wear five bronze stars, for five major battles on his service ribbon. His light artillery unit was awared a Presidential Citation. He also wears the Good Conduct Ribbon.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 19 May 1945

ORTGEISEN, T/5 Lloyd V, of Dixon has received the Bronze Star for Meritorious achievement and service from June 14 to November 1, 1944 in France, Belgium, Holland, and Germany with the 119th Inf. Reg.

The citation reads: "As a radio operator, T/5 Ortgiesens performance of duty has been exceptionally meritorious. Despite the many problems presented by combat operations his service has been outstanding and his duties have been discharged in a manner which reflects credit on T/5 Ortgiesen and his unit."

"Realizing the vital importantance of radio communication to the effecting functioning of his unit T/5 Ortgiesen has always taken great pains to protect his equipment from harm. His effiency and devotion to duty have been an inspiring example to his associates and have been contributing factors in the combat achievements of his organization".
Dixon Evening Telegraph 10 Mar 1945

ORTGEISEN, Pfc. Raymond, 620 Douglas Ave. has been in service since October 1944. He has been stationed in Porto Rico for about 3 months.
Dixon Evening Telegraph August 4, 1945

ORTGEISEN, Pvt. William - The 727th Railway Operating Battalion of which Pvt. Wm. Ortgiesen, Nelson, is a member which covered itself with glory in the Tunisian, Sicilian, and Italian Campaigns is now doing an "encore" in France helping to rush supplies to the U.S. 7th and French 1st Armies. The outfit, oldest unit in the entire military railway service, was organized in 1929 as a reserve unit of the Southern Railroad. It was activated March 15, 1942, trained at Camp Shelby Miss and sailed for north Africa in December 1942.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 10 Feb 1945

PARKER, Capt. Roy - Capt. and Mrs. Roy Parker arrived at the home of his parents Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Parker route 2 Sunday Dec. 30th from Camp McCall N.C. where Capt. Parker has been on duty for the past four years.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 04 January 1946

PARKER, T5 Walter J., 301 Spruce St. Dixon is among the 2058 veterans aboard the USS Sanborn which left Yokosuka Japan Nov. 24th and is expected to arrive in Seattle Wash. Wednesday. Jan 9th.

PARKS, Joseph Franklin - Enlisted in the 7th Regiment, Co. E, of the Illinois Calvary on 29 Mar 1865 in Dixon, Illinois. He was mustered out in Nashville, Tennesse on 04 Nov 1865. Joseph was born 1 November 1839 in Virginia Twp., Coshocton Co., Ohio. He was first married to Mary Elizabeth Procunier 01 January 1865 in Stone Ridge, Ogle Co., Ohio. Mary was the born 24 April 1849 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada the daughter of Isaac Procunier and Amy McCleish. Joseph and his family moved to Illinois, settling in Lee Center, Lee Co., Illinois, by March 1867, then to Danbury, Woodbury Co., Iowa before December 1874, and finally to Rodney, Monona Co., Iowa. Mary died on 13 Dec 1882 and is buried in the Danbury Cemetery, Danbury, Woodbury Co., Iowa. Joseph's second marriage was to Irene Julia Whitney on 21 Jan 1883 in Danbury, Woodbury Co., Iowa. Irene was born on 08 April 1860 in Michigan, the daughter of George Whitney and Sarah Woods. Joseph died at his son William's house on 18 May 1909 and is buried in the Logan Park Cemetery, Sioux City, Woodbury Co., Iowa. Irene died on 02 Sept 1907 in Brookings, Brookings Co., South Dakota.
Source: Randall Scott Treadway

PETRI, Pvt. Harold A. son of Mrs. Theresa Petri of Harmon

RAPP, S/Sgt. Donald - Son of Mr. & Mrs. Edward Rapp Sr.. age 23, killed in action in Belgium Jan. 8, 1945. The information was sent to his wife Mrs. Peggy Pendleton Rapp of Salt Lake City Utah who in turn notified the parents. Sgt. Rapp enlisted Aug. 21, 1940 and received his basic training at Ft. Ord CA. Later transfered to the Presidio of Monterey CA. From here he was moved to Ft. Douglas Utah where he was appointed a military police. He was stationed there for 3 years and then assigned to the infantry and sent to Ft. Jackson SC. In Aug. 1944 he was home on a brief furlough and in Oct. was sent overseas. He was first stationed in England and then moved to France and Belgium. A native of Sublette he was born March 22, 1921. He received his early education at St. Mary's School. After graduating from A.T. H.S. He enlisted in the army. He was married to Peggy Pendleton at Salt Lake City on Nov. 14, 1941. He is the father of two children, Donna Lee age 2 and Peggy Ann born Jan. 1, 1945, the latter of which was still unknown to him. Surviving also are his parents, three brothers, E.W. Rapp, somewhere in the South Pacific; John Rapp of Sublette and Corp. Vernon Rapp of Camp Wheeler GA; three sisters, Mrs. Bernice Mueller of Ashton; Mrs. Mildred Manning of Mendota and Ellen Rapp of Dixon. Three brothers, Theodore, Clarence and Leroy preceded him in death. Military services for the young soldier were conducted in Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Sublette Thursday Feb. 8, 1945 at 9 a.m. by Fr. Edward J. Lehman. The S.O.S. mothers club marched in a body, Legionnaires of Poth-Lavelle-post #453 of Amboy attended and provided the military escort. Co. A.I.R.M. of Dixon with Sublette members provided the firing squad. (From the Dixon Telegraph 5 March 1945)

RAPP, Lt. Larry, of Sublette, serving in the U.S. Air Corps. has been interned in Switzerland after his bomber was forced down, according to a cablegram received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Rapp, Sublette. Lt. Rapp, a graduate of Amboy high class of 36' was a co-pilot of a B-24 bomber and had completed 12 missions over Berlin, Norway, France, Holland & Belgium. When their plane developed engine trouble on a mission over southwest Germany they were able to reach Switzerland with the protection of several allied pursuit fighter planes. Larry, a member of the Army for 3 years has been overseas since December and wears the Air Medal.
Dixon Evening Telegraph May 20, 1944

REED, Robert - Killed in Action

REINBOTH, Cpl. Kermit -Son of Bruno F. Reinboth

REYNOLDS, John & James, sons of Mr. and Mrs. James M. Reynolds, 1037 Highland Ave. have returned to Dixon on leave from the U S Armed forces after many months overseas.

Hubert RICCI son of Mr. and Mrs. Noah E. Ricci of 820 W. 6th St. is a member of the newest class of cadets to be assigned to the Midland Army Air Field, Midland TX. (May 20, 1944)

SCHIER, Gerald - Seaman 2/c - Mr. and Mrs. Warner Schier and little daughter, Norma returned last Sunday from a trip to Boston, Mass., where they visited with their son Seaman 2/c Gerald Schier over the holidays. They reported a pleasant trip, a nice visit with Gerald who is well and working hard. A trip to New York City for News Years. Gerald has been transfered now to Belville, R.I., where he is completing training for service on the Navy P.T. boats.
Dixon Daily Telegraph January 6, 1945

SCHULTE, Frank Orville - enlisted in the regular Army August 30, 1940, he was sent to Ft. Bragg N.C. for field artillery training. About 1 1/2 years later he was transferred to Camp Gruber, Oklahoma. His next assignment took him to Camp Mackell N.C. One his training for glider troop service was completed, he applied for training with the paratroopers. May 1, 1944 he was graduated a paratrooper at Camp Polk, La., and was made a member of the 11th Airborne Division. That same month he went overseas with his outfit, serving first in New Guinea, then in the Philippines. Frank died the evening of February 11, 1945 in the vicinity of Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands as the result of wounds received in action. He was buried with full military honors in the beautiful United States Cemetery at Nasugbu, Batangus Island of Luzon, P.I. The testimonial of his commanding officer read in part; "He was an excellent soldier who no matter what the task, did it and did it well". Frank was the son of Fred & Lola Opal (Scykes) Schulte born 8 February 1922.

SCHULTHEIS, Morris - With the 14th Antiaircraft Command on Mindanao - Morris Schultheis, son of Mr.a nd Mrs. George A. Schultheis, 812 Fifth street, Dixon, Ill, was recently promoted to Technician 3rd grade. A fire control electrician, Schulthis is a member of a veteran antiaircraft artillery unit now serving in the Philippines. He has been overseas 22 months, 16 of which have been spent in combat. Sergeant Schultheis enlisted in the Coast Artillery Corps in January 1943. Assigned to the antiaircraft branch, he trained at Ft. Bliss, TX and Camp Polk, LA. In the summer of the same year he participated in the Louisiana maneuvers. Arriving overseas in the fall of 43, Schultheis's unit prepared for combat in Townsville, Australia. Early in 1944 his outfit moved to Finschafen New Guinea where they staged for the Aitape-Hollandia operation. The landing on "D" Day at Aitape brought the sergeant the first of two battle stars on his Asiatic-Pacific ribbon. Several months later, the organization made its second beachhead, this time "somewhere in the Mollucas". In the spring of this year his unit deployed with infantry during the Mindanao campaign, entitling the sergeant to wear the Philippine Liberation medal. Prior to enlistment, Sgt. Schulthis was employed as a truck driver in Dixon.
Dixon Evenign Telegraph 2 October 1945

SEARLS, George W. - For meritorious performance of duty in military operations against the Japs, Technician fourth grade George W. Searls, son of Mr. and Mrs. Levi H. Searls, RFD Amboy IL, received the Bronze Star Medal from Maj. Gen. P. W.Clarkson commanding general of the 33rd Division, veterans of 3 campaigns and liberators of Baguio in Northern Luzon. Sgt. Searls is with the 108th Medical detachment of the 33rd Division.

SELGESTAD, John W., a graduate of Dixon High School (43'or48') is now stationed at the University of AL
Dixon Evening Telegraph May 20, 1944

Pvt. Harry F. SEYBERT, serving in the infantry in Gen. Simpsons 9th Army writes home and thanks the service mothers organization, Mr. Nicols and Mr. Barlow of Amboy for the gift from them. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Wynn Seybert 612 Highland ave. and husband of Eula Mae Seybert, Forrest Ave. His brother Robert Seybert is serving in the artillery in the 9th Army.

Radio operator on the B-24 Liberator "My Achin Back" has been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for extradordinary achievement in aerial combat. Formal presentation of the award was made by Maj. Martin R. Walsh Jr., Youngstown Ohio squadron comander in the 453rd Bomber group, which is a unit of Maj. Gen. William Kepners 2nd Bombardment Division. As a member of a lead crew operating from an Eighth Air Force station in England, he has made 30 bombing missions over Germany and enemy occupied Europe, including high altitude precision attacks on Hamburg, Hanover, Berlin, Hamm, and Brunswick targets. Besides the Distinguished Flying Cross, S.Sgt. Elbert L. SHOEMAKER, son of Mrs. Olive Bothe of Eldena holds the Air Medal and Three Oak Leaf Clusters. In civilian life he was a student of Amboy High School graduating in 1942. He enteredthe Army in Feb. 1943 and has been overseas in East Angla since June of this year.

Dixon Telegraph 3 February 1945 - Staff Sergeant Elbert Shoemaker has returned to his home in Eldena from the European Theater of operations after completing 35 missions over German occupied territory. He is the son of Mrs. Earl Bothe.

Dixon Telegraph 30 June 1945 - Staff Sgt. Elbert L Shoemaker, son of Mrs. Olive Bothe, has been awarded the Bronze Star at William Field, Chandler Az. He will leave soon for Independence KS., for a new assignment.

SPOTTS, Robert C - 106th Infantry Div. US Army - The body of Robert C. Spotts who was killed in action in the vicinity of St.Lo, France July 28, 1944 will arrive at the Trouth funeral home in Sterling Tuesday morning and funeral services will be held at St.Mary's Catholic Church in that city at 9 o'clock Wednesday morning, with burial in Calvary East of that city. Robert, son of Mr. and Mrs. R.D. Spotts of West Brooklyn and brother of Leo Spotts, Fourth avenue, Dixon, entered the service in March 1943 and received his basic training at Fort Jackson S.C. He left for overseas from Ft. Meade MD. and spent six months in Ireland and England before going to France with Co. E 23rd Infantry, July 6, 1944. After his death his body was buried at St.Laurent Sur Mur, France, Military Cemetery. His journey home aboard an army funeral ship ended in December.
Dixon Evening Telegraph January 5, 1948

SUTTON, John Steven, born 17 November 1927 died 16 September 1978, buried Holy Cross Cemetery, Harmon IL

Ellwyn Laverne SWEGLE
Joined the Army Air Corps Cadet School on January 30, 1943. Following Basic Training at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri, Ellwyn completed the student cadet program at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. Then he was sent to California: at Santa Ana, he passed tests to qualify for pilot training; at Visalia, he received Primary Pilot Training; and at Chico and Victorville, he received Basic Training. He received his Pilot’s Wings and commission as Second Lieutenant after completing Advanced Training at Douglas, Arizona. While stationed at Carlsbad, New Mexico, Ellwyn was a Pilot Instructor and flew Bombardier and Navigator cadets on training missions until WW II ended.
Contributed by Karen Holt

Ivan Charles SWEGLE
Enlisted in the Army Air Corps in June 1941 and became an Air Corps mechanic, serving with a fighter squadron. He was stationed at Selfridge Field, Michigan; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; and Oakland, California. After this, he was shipped to the Pacific Theater for 3 years 2 months and 19 days. He served in Australia, New Caledonia, Tongatapu, Guadalcanal (Solomon) Island (the longest single land battle in U.S. history), Fiji, New Guinea, Bouganville, Middleburg, Moriti, and Palawan Island, Philippines. While in Guadalcanal, a U.S. plane shot down a Japanese plane carrying Admiral Yamamoto. This man was the Commander in Chief of the Japanese Navy and had directed the attack on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. Ivan, a Master Sergeant when discharged, was glad to leave the service and return home in June 1945.
Contributed by Karen Holt

Mary Ellen SWEGLE
She joined the Air Woman's Army Corps on October 20, 1944. She received her Basic Training at Ft. Des Moines, Iowa and training in clerical work. She was stationed at Shepherd Field, Wichita Falls, Texas; Keesler Field, Biloxi, Mississippi; and Scott Field, St. Louis, Missouri before returning to Dixon in 1946.

Contributed by Karen Holt

Stanley Chandler SWEGLE
November 27, 1941, Stan was inducted into the Army. He took his Basic Training at Camp Croft, South Carolina. He served with the Red Bull Division. When the U.S. entered the war, his division was sent to Ireland. Stan saw his life spared when during a voyage to Africa, the troop-carrying destroyer he was not on was sunk. From Africa, they traveled through Sicily to Italy, landing on the Anzio Beach head just south of Rome. During that battle, a shell landed close to him. He rolled into the hole it had made and, where he had been, another shell exploded. Stan was awarded the Silver Star for conspicuous bravery in action and the Bronze Star for outstanding service against the enemy.

Contributed by Karen Holt

William Sidney SWEGLE
April 12, 1942, he joined the Army Air Corps with Basic Training at Camp Grant, Rockford, Illinois. He received his diploma at the Las Vegas machine gunnery school. He was then attached to the 420th Bombardment Squadron, Davis Monthan Field, Tucson, Arizona. Sid served as gunner on a B-17 plane, which the crew flew across the North Atlantic to England. A news clipping reported of the crew, “All have won the coveted Air Medal with cluster . . . Among them were Staff Sergeant William ‘Bill’ Swegle . . . The ‘Wolf Pack’ crew look after their own guns after every mission. As a Cow Boy’s first thought was ever for his horse—because his life line might depend upon its condition—so the air gunnery of today regard their machine guns.” His plane was shot down on June 13, 1943. According to another news clip, the family “received notification from the War Department on Thursday, June 24th, reporting that their son, Staff Sgt. William S., is missing in action . . . [he] has been missing since Sunday, June 13.” The Germans allowed prisoners of war to broadcast a message home via short wave radio. On July 20, Sid's broadcast aired at 9:15 in the evening. Although the Swegle family didn't hear it, they received cards from 45 people in 11 states telling them of the message sent from their son saying that he was well and safe. They received a card written by him on July 26, that repeated the same message. Advancing allied troops released Sid from the Kelfherde prison camp on April 29, 1945. He returned to the States aboard the U.S.S. Gordon arriving at his parent’s home in Dixon on June 8 for a 60-day furlough. A newspaper clipping, recounting those 22 months, appeared in the Dixon Telegraph after his return. On June 13, 1943, an American bomber on a mission over Kiehl [Kiel] was shot down while battling its way through flak and fighter planes. Tail gunner Swegle, who had nine missions under his belt and was credited with knocking down two German fighter planes, was a member of the crew. When the crippled plane finally landed, the crew were all intact and unhurt [the crew bailed out]. However, they were soon picked up by some German soldiers and hurried off to prison camps. Sergeant Swegle was taken to the Luft 3 Salga [Stalag Luft] camp, and was later transferred to three others, being last in Kelfherde. In commenting upon conditions, the sergeant mentioned that they were not too bad and that the food was about the same as the living conditions. “Staff Sergeant Swegle . . . is the wearer of the Air Medal with two clusters, the good conduct ribbon, the European Theater ribbon, with a Bronze Star and the Presidential Citation.”

Contributed by Karen Holt

Verlis W. TADD of Ashton and Pvt. Robert E. Hintz route 3 Dixon, are members of the 57th Signal Battalion of the Sixth Army group now serving in Germany. Upon this unit rests a large share of responsibility for maintenance of communications for the U.S. Seventh Army in General Jacob L. Devers Sixth Army group. Veterans of D Day landings at Salerno and Anzio in Italy, in Southern France, these communications experts know what it means to work hard and move fast. Men of the batallion have met every demand on skill and energy said Lt. Col. Arthur C. Hill, Auburndale, Mass. commanding officer. In a recent 6 weeks period when troop movements called for extra effort our companies laid 554 miles of field wire and took over and rehabiliated 2,145 miles of French Wire. The 57th Signal battalion began overseas service in February, 1943 at Oran, North Africa. Its members, under shelling and bombing at Anzio improvished plows to bury their wire and thus improved communications. The battalion was awarded the 5th Army Plaque and clasp in the Italin Campaigns. Courage of its personnel is attested by two silver stars, six bronze stars medals and 13 soldiers awards medals.

Donald TADD Ph.M. recently returned from overseas and will receive his discharge soon.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 27 October 1945

Pvt. Clyde E. TAYLOR former carrier supervisor at the Dixon Evening Telegraph is stationed at Camp Butner N.C. His wife Marion Taylor and two daughters reside at 1006 W. 1st St. (May 20, 1944)

Robert "Bob" Foster THRASHER
Enlisted in the army on September 4, 1944 and was sent to Ft. Knox, Kentucky with the Infantry Armored Division. He was transferred to the Air Force, who sent him to Keesler Field in Biloxi, Mississippi for training as an airplane mechanic. He received special training in California in the mechanics of the C-54. He worked on these 4-engine propeller planes until his discharge and return to Dixon in 1946.
Contributed by Karen Holt

Clare WEYBRIGHT - - The body of S/Sgt Clare Weybright, son of Mr. & Mrs. Charles E. Weybright of Franklin Grove, was among those of 3,028 men who died in WW II aboard the transport Honda Knot which slipped through the mists of the Golden Gate at San Francisco today. The first to fall and the first to come home. Clare Weybright met his death in the crash of an airplane in China October 29, 1944.

Clarence Robert "Bud" WILSON

On March 14, 1941, Bud entered the U.S. Army. He was sent to Camp Roberts, California for Basic Training. He served with the 184th Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division stateside guarding against sabotage. While guarding Consolidated Aircraft Corporation one Sunday, he greeted a man entering the plant. He later learned that the man was Colonel Charles Lindbergh. When Bud was sent overseas to the Pacific Theater, he eventually served with the 7th Infantry Division in the battles of the Aleutians, Kwajashein (Marshall Islands), Leyte (Philippines), and Okinawa. He returned to Dixon in October 1945.

Contributed by Karen Holt

WINKEL, Louis E. - Born 1897 died 1975 - buried in Holy Cross Cemetery, Harmon IL, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Winkel

WOODYATT, John - (1944) Mr. and Mrs. Howard Woodyatt, 1608 Second St., yesterday received word from the war department tha their son Pfc. John G. Woodyatt was wounded in action at Saipan on June 27. Today they received a letter from their son in which he stated that he was right and left buttock and the back of the head during a battle with the Japs. The letter further stated that the Jap dead were lying thick over the island and that they would be quickly exterminated. Pvt. Woodyatt added that he has recovered from his wounds and that in the several engagements he had made quite a collection of Jap souveniors.

T/sgt Leonard WOODYATT - 701 Institute Blvd. Dixon is being returned to the states aboard the the Fairmont Victory which left Japan Feb. 9 and was scheduled to arrive in Seattle yesterday, where he is to be discharged. Norman B. Pierce will also be discharged.

Lee Co - WW II Casualties

Back Home