AGNES ABELL , 87, mother of Mrs. John Sieling Rt. 3 Dixon died at her home in Rock Falls at 6:55 a.m. today (2 April 1952). She was married to Daniel L. Abell in 1881 in Dixon. He died in 1938. Survivors include two daughters, Miss Nettie Abell, Rock Falls and Mrs. Sieling in Dixon. Four sons - Orlin, Clinton IA; Lloyd and Glenn, Rock Falls and Otto in Paw Paw. 10 Grandchildren and 8 Great-grandchildren. Burial in West Brooklyn, Union Cem.

FUNERAL NOTICE:Services for Mrs. Agnes Abell were held at 2 p.m. Friday at the Wheelock funeral home, Rev. Harry E. Shiffer, pastor of the Rock Falls Christian church, officiating. Interment was in West Brooklyn cemetery. During the service two hymns "The Old Rugged Cross" and "Going Down The Valley," were sung by Wayne Larson, accompanied by Mrs. Wayne Larson, organist. Pallbearers were Dave Sieling, Jack Wilkinson, William Weed, Junior Ryan, Charles Lindsey and Howard Garman. In charge of the flowers were Mrs. Clarence Wallace, Mrs, Lowell Williams, Mrs. Jay Baker and Mrs. Walter Stigall
Contributed by Melva Taylor from the The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois April 5, 1952 - Saturday, pg 2 col 2 / Also found one in the Dixon Evening Telegraph 2 Apr 1952

ROLLIE E. ABBOTT , passed away at his home, 405 Chicago avenue, Sunday afternoon at 2:45 He was born in Nachusa April 29, 1888 and had been a resident of Dixon for the past 37 years and was a retired insurance salesman. He is survived by his wife; one son Kenneth, three brothers, John of Beloit Wis., Wilson of Colchester Ill, and Harry of Omaha Neb; and two sisters, Mrs. Grace Jenssen and Mrs. Mary Jenssen both of Nelson; several nieces, nephews and cousins. Funeral services will be conducted Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 from the Preston funeral home, Rev. george J. Curran pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church officiating. Interment will be in Chapel Hill cemetery.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 21 Oct 1946

JOHN ABSHER - Services for John Absher, 73, retired school teacher who died Tuesday (Nov. 4, 1952) in his home, will be held at 2 p.m. Friday in Cluts funeral home. The Rev. Merle Hall will officiate. Burial in Ashton Cemetery. Mr. Absher had taught school in Ashton, Steward, Creston and in the rural areass. He was graduated from Dixon College in 1902. A son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Absher, he was born 28 Feb 1879 in White County IL. After the death of his first wife, the former Gertrude Fell, he married the former Alice Gehant who also preceded him in death. Mr. Absher was a member of the Methodist Church. Surviving is a brother Chester.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 6 Nov. 1952

MARTHA J. ACKERMAN , 72, of Lee Center , died Saturday, Sept. 8, 2007, at Amboy Rehabilitation and Nursing Center . She was employed by Raynor Garage Doors, Dixon , for 27 years, retiring in 2000. Miss Ackerman was born Jan. 23, 1935, in Highland , the daughter of Lawrence and Irma (Powell) Ackerman. Survivors include two sisters, Darlene (Robert) Madden of Sterling and Bonnie (Francis) Fisher of Lee Center; two brothers, Arthur Ackerman of Caldwell , Idaho , and Larry (Joan) Ackerman of Oakley, Calif. ; 18 nieces and nephews; and many grandnieces and grandnephews.. She was preceded in death by a brother, Ronald Ackerman. Mass of Christian Burial is at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Patrick Catholic Church, Amboy, with the Rev. Carl Beekman officiating. Burial of cremains is at Woodside Cemetery , Lee Center . Visitation is from 6 to 8 p.m., with a 7:30 p.m. Scripture service, Friday at Mihm-Jones Funeral Home, Amboy. A memorial has been established to the St. Vincent DePaul Society.
Contributed by Pat Esterday - Taken from: The Dixon Telegraph, Monday, September 10, 2007, Page A2 _ Col. 3 – 4

CARL ACKERT , 68, a farmer on Rt. 2, Dixon, for most of his life, died at his home about 1:45 a.m. Wednesday following a long illness. He was born in Marion Twp. Nov. 28, 1883. He is survived by his widow Theresa Garland Ackert, two sons, Alden, Sterling; Edward, Marion Twp; two daughters, Edith, Chicago and Mrs. Walter Fassler, Brookville; three brothers, Hal, Dixon; Earl Ellendale N.D.; James Edward, Manhattan KS; and a sister Alice Daisy, Webster Grove MO. His parents, two sisters and a son preceded him in death. Services are to be at 9 am Friday at the home and at 9:30 am at St. Marys Catholic Church, Walton, the Rev. Robert Donavan officiating. Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 12 Mar 1952

ANNA ACKLAND , 70, who died at her home, 711 Grace Ave. (12 June 1944) after an extended illness will be held Wednesday at Wheelock Funeral home, the Rev. Harry E. Shiffer, pastor of the Rock Falls Christian Church will officiate. After the service the body will be taken to the Mihm Funeral home in Amboy where services will be held. Burial will be in Prairie Repose Cemetery. She was born in 1874 in Amboy and had lived in Rock Falls since 1923. She is survived by her husband George, three daughters, Mrs.Edna Nelson, and Mrs. Florence Huntley both of Rock Falls and Mrs. Ida Corres on the West coast, three sons, Clarence, Wilbur and Mortimor all of Rock Falls, two sisters, Mrs.Minnie Clapper and Mrs. Nell Powell of Amboy.
Dixon Telegraph 13 Jun 1944

EVINS ADRIAN : About 1 o'clock in the afternoon of Saturday, Oct. the 10th, a sorrowing family stood around the death bed of Evins Adrian, and with weeping eyes witnessed the last scene in life's fitful play. Mr. Adrian had been ill only two weeks but his ailment was of such a serious nature that his family had little cause for hope. Forty or more years ago, he met with an accident by which one of his feet was cut or smashed; he had suffered more of less from this injury, but recently the trouble increased to such an extent that it was a constant annoyance. A few weeks ago during one of the hot days, the old gentleman became over heated while driving some stock, and a violent fever ensued. His brain was affected from the first, and he was unable to transact any business. The injured foot and leg became inflamed and gangrene set in, and became the direct cause of death. The funeral was held at the house, Monday, October 12, and the remains was buried in the Cemetery at Malugins Grove. Rev. B. A. Dickens of Paw Paw officiated at the funeral which was one of the largest ever held in this vicinity, people coming for miles around to pay the last tribute of respect to an old and esteemed friend. In the death of Mr. Adrian another old settler who braved the hardships incident to pioneer life in this section, has left the scene of his early struggles and subsequent success. His success was won by industry, economy and honesty, coupled with a mind of great activity, and extraordinary sagacity. Of simple taste and common habit, he brought the entire vigor of his intellect to bear upon the work before him, and enjoyed the satisfaction in later years of seeing the full fruition of his hopes in the sunshine of fortune's smile, with all his prosperity he did not become exalted, he was not purse proud; vanity as generally understood, had no place in his heart; he was the same simple, humble, honest man, that fifty-four years ago, alone, among strangers, with no capital but his sturdy muscle and determined will, commenced the battle of life at Little Malugin. His history illustrates the fact that ____________of this great Nation, the poor boy has an equal chance with the rich, in the race for wealth, honor and fame. The subject of this sketch was born in the county of Autrim, Ireland, on the 15 day of Oct., 1815. At about the age of 18 chafing under the oppression of his native land, filled with an ambition to make a success of life, he looked about for a land where the energies of man are not dwarfed by the exactions of royalty, and turned his steps toward the new world. He reached Quebec, Canada, where he remained but a year or two, and then went to New York: there he worked on a farm about two years and came to Illinois in the autumn of 1837, and settled at Malugins Grove, where he built up a home and lived until his death. Three years after his arrival at Malugins he was married to Marilla, daughter of deacon Goodle, and a widow of Rev. Smith. The wedding occurred Oct. 13, 1840, in his 25th year. On January 28, 1857, his wife died, leaving six children who survive their father. He was married the second time to Mary Ann Agler July 22, 1857. To this marriage there were born four children, but two of whom are living. His second wife died March 12, 1891. The surviving children, eight, in number, are living in this vicinity, and were present at the illness, death and funeral of their father. Mr. Adrian died possessed of 1280 acres of fertile land, under a high state of cultivation, and a large amount of personal property. As he left no will, the property will be equally divided among the heirs, or as they may agree.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler

MARY ANN (AGLER) ADRIAN , daughter of John and Mary Agler, was the oldest of twelve children. She was born at Danville, Columbia county, Penn., Feb. 3rd, 1828, and died at her home north of Compton, Ill., on the morning of March 12th, 1891. Aged 63 years, 1 month, and 9 days. She resided with her parents until 1851, when she moved to the state of Michigan. In 1854 she became a resident of Paw Paw Grove, Ill. She was married to Evins Adrian, one of our oldest and most respected citizens, on July 22, 1857, and through all these years has been a devoted wife and in the fullest sense a help-meet. Four children were born into this home—two of which are living in this community and two are buried near the old home. The deceased united with the M. E. church in the early history of East Paw Paw class. The Rev. Andrew S. W. McCausland was then stationed upon this circuit. The funeral services were held at the residence Saturday afternoon and largely attended by old friends and neighbors who came to unite in expressing their sympathy for the bereaved husband and children, and also to express a tribute of respect to the memory of one so long and favorably known. The sermon was preached by Rev. B. A. Dickens, of Paw Paw, and the body was interred at Malugins Grove.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler

SARAH ADRIAN , youngest daughter of Evins Adrian, of Little Malugins Grove, died Monday morning at 10 o’clock, after a lingering illness. She was twenty-six years old. All that loving friends and medical assistance could do, was unavailing to prolong her life. The funeral was held at the house Wednesday, and a large number of friends gathered to pay the last tribute of respect. Rev. Shaftoe, of Paw Paw, preached the sermon.

Another Memorial: The writer of this was called upon to officiate at the funeral of Miss Sarah Adrian, who died August 19th, 1888, and was buried from her father’s residence, Wednesday the 22nd. Leaving others who knew her to speak of her life, I will only speak of the funeral service. A large number of people from all parts of the surrounding country, gathered to pay their last respects to the departed. The subject of the discourse was, “The Transient and the Enduring,” from Matt. 24:35. A number of singers from Paw Paw assisted in the service. The flowers that covered and surrounded the coffin at the home were plentiful and lovely, but the decoration of the grave was the finest I ever saw. The sides and ends were covered from top to bottom with evergreens, dotted here and there with white flowers. The lid of the box was also covered in the same way, so that when it was placed over the coffin, it all formed a cave of green and white. It was a beautiful thought to thus rob the grave of its gloam.
R. H. Shaftoe, Pastor Baptist Church
Contributed by Marilyn Widler

FLORENCE (ACKERSON) ALBRECHT , 98, of Ashton passed away Friday, Aug. 31, 2007, in home surrounded by family. Florence was born Sept. 18, 1908, in Ashton, the daughter of Charles and Margaret (Witzel) Ackerson. She married Earl W. Albrecht on Feb. 15, 1928, in Ashton. Survivors include son, Alan “Bud” (Barbara) Albrecht of Ashton; daughters, Arlene (Al) Thibodeau of Stillman Valley, Carol (Harold) Parsley of Concord, CA., Betsy (John) Roinas of Rochelle and Audrey (Robert) Onken of Leesburg, Fla. ; 18 grandchildren; 18 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren. Preceded in death by her husband; son, Denny; and brothers, Donald, Russell and Raymond. Service at 10 a.m. Wednesday Sept. 5, at St. John’s Lutheran Church , 803 Paddock, with Pastor Jonathan Black officiating. Interment in Trinity Memory Gardens . Visitation from 3 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 4, in Coulon-Lyons Family Funeral Home, 601 Richardson . Also, one hour visitation before service time Wednesday in the church. Memorials may be made to Ogle County Hospice or St. John’s Lutheran Church of Ashton.
Contributed by Pat Esterday - Taken from: Rockford Register Star – Monday, September 3, 2007 – Page 4C – Col. 1

DONNA J. (DONOHO) ALEXANDER , 65, of Oregon died Thursday, July 31, 2003, at KSB Hospital. Memorial services will be at 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 4, 2003, at Chapel Hill Funeral Home, Dixon, with the Rev. Thomas Lamb of St. Bride's Episcopal Church, Oregon, officiating. Cremation rites have been accorded. Burial will be at Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens, Dixon. A memorial has been established. Ms. Alexander was born Nov. 26, 1937, in Dixon, the daughter of Archie E. and Louise (Howell) Donoho. She was self-employed as a tax preparer. She also worked at Yellow Bird Senior Citizen Center, Oregon, for many years. The main focus in her life were her two sons, her grandchildren and caring for others, Survivors include two sons, Robert Paul Rees and Spencer (Denise) Rees of Pecatonica; one brother, Jerry (Lynn) Donoho of Madison, Wis.; two sisters, Betty (Wayne) Albrecht of DeKaib and Kaye (Joe) Gari of Schaumburg; and six grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her parents; one son, Paul Robert; and one brother, Sonny.
Daily Gazette

ARANDA FRANKLIN ALLEN - was born August 22, 1868, at Allen's Grove, and died September 24, 1919, at the old home where he was living. He leaves his mother, Mrs. Emaline Allen of Dixon; two sisters, Mrs. Ed Davis of Glen Ferry, Idaho, and Mrs. James Bend of this place; and two brothers, Clarendon and Adelbert, besides many other relatives and friends to mourn their loss. Services were held at the home, Rev. P. R. McMahan of the Methodist Church officiating. Appropriate music was furnished by Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Nangle, and the interment was in Ellsworth cemetery.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler

BLANCHE L. (WITHEY) ALLEN , 42, rural Amboy, died Wednesday in KSB Hospital, Dixon, after a long illness. She wsa born Nov. 11, 1912 in Franklin Grove, the daughter of Leo and Hazel (March) Withey. Funeral services will be Saturday in Hickes Funeral Home, Franklin Grove. Burial in Franklin Grove Cemetery.

EMELINE (JOHNSON) ALLEN was born at Big Rock, Illinois on the fourteenth day of August 1844. In 1861 when the storm cloud of Civil War was threatening, she was married to Nathaniel C. Allen. She went through the hardships of those terrible days. Her husband was called to the Army to help save the Union. Mr. and Mrs. Allen settled in this community in those early days and were living here August 15, 1887 when Nathaniel C. Allen answered his summons to appear before God. Fifteen years ago, Mrs. Allen moved to Dixon, Illinois, where she has since made her home. At the time of her death she was visiting at Boise, Idaho. She passed from this life July 18, 1920, being 75 years, 11 months and 4 days upon this earth. Mrs. Nathaniel C. Allen was a member of the United Brethren Church from her girlhood days. Upon moving to Dixon she joined the Evangelical denomination. She was a member of the Relief Corps, Paw Paw. We hear of her kindly deeds and of friendships made tender through the stress of many years of association. Besides a host of friends, she leaves a sister, a brother, four children and fourteen granchildren to mourn their loss. The funeral service was held at the Paw Paw Methodist Church, Sunday afternoon, July 25. Three selections were rendered by members of the choir. The Relief Corps attended the service in a body. The Pastor, Rev. P. R. McMahan, spoke a few words of comfort to the relatives and friends. Interment took place at Ellsworth Cemetery at three-thirty. Mr. Amos Smith was in charge of the funeral.
--Submitted by Marilyn Widler

MILFORD W. ALLEN - 55, of Rt 2, Dixon, died Saturday (11 Feb 1967) . He was born May 9 1911 in Tampico, the son of Albert and Louella (Whipple) Allen. Survived by his mother, sister Alberta Allen, brother Arthur Allen of Ashton. He was preceded by his father, one sister and one brother. Burial was at Chapel Hill Cemetery.
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor - The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois February 13, 1967 - Monday, pg 2

RUFUS CHANDLER ALLEN - Over a year ago Rufus Allen died in the Philippines while in the service of the U. S. government. His mother, Mrs. Emeline Allen of this place was duly informed by the agents of the government of his death, and was given to understand that his body would be returned to her. After waiting for over a year the body reached here on Thursday, of last week, encased in a metallic coffin. The funeral was held in the Methodist church on Sunday afternoon and the church was filled by friends and relatives. Rev. Breaw, a friend of the family, who is located at Compton, preached the sermon and was assisted by Rev. Dingle, of the Methodist church. The obsequies were under the auspices of the Spanish-American veterans; the G. A. R. and W. R. C. were present and also the home members of Co. K., 6th Ill. Vol. Rev. Breaw spoke for about three-quarters of an hour and told of his acquaintance with the deceased. Rufus was 35 years old at the time of his death and had been a young man respected by the people in this vicinity. He thought a great deal of his home and his mother was the first in his thoughts. The body came from the Philippines on the transport Summer and arrived in port week before last. As soon as the large number of caskets could be sorted, the body was forwarded here. Of the 163 bodies returned 69 were buried in Arlington cemetery one of the National cemeteries, owing to there being no one to claim the bodies. Rufus Chandler Allen was born on the 16th of September, 1866, at Allen's Grove, in Willow Creek, Illinois, and died July 29th, 1902, at Batangas, Batangas Province, and Philippines. He went to Florida, in 1896 and either purchased or located some land which he farmed for two years. When the Spanish-American War broke out, he enlisted at Jacksonville, Fla., July 9, 1898. He was kept in that city for one month and from there was transferred to Key West, ready for sailing to the seat of hostilities. He went from there to Cuba and was discharged from the navy Sept. 18th, 1898, at Norfolk, Va. He afterwards enlisted at Camp Mead, Penn., in July 1899. His regiment was ordered from there one month after he enlisted to San Francisco, where he spent a few days and then sailed for the Philippines, and landed at Manila. From that time on he was in active service of the government until the time of his death. His regiment was the 27th Reg. Vol. Inf. and his company was G. The Captain of the Company who wrote home to Mrs. Allen informing her of Rufus' death spoke very highly of him as a soldier and as a man having been with him for two years. He leaves a mother, two sisters and three brothers, all of whom were here to attend the funeral with the exception of Mrs. Davis and Aranda. He was of a sunny disposition, always ready to contribute to the happiness of those around him with a word of cheer or any little kindness which was in his power.
* * * * *

Mrs. Allen and the children feel very grateful to the Spanish-American War veterans, the Grand Army, the Relief Corps, and the members of the Militia company for their kindnesses to them and for the flowers contributed.
Submitted by Marilyn Widler

FANNIE (BYRD) AMBLER was born in Hampshire Co, West Virginia, Feb. 12, 1825. She was married to Wm. Ambler in 1857. She moved with her husband to Lee co., Ill., in 1859, where she lived until her death. To this union were born two daughters, Mrs. Will Durin and Mrs. Florence Smith. She had five brothers and one sister; her brother Jacob alone survives her. She united with the Brethren Church about twenty-five years ago and lived a faithful life until her death, which occurred at her home June 25, 1904. Aged 79 years, 4 months and 13 days. She leaves a husband, two daughters, seven grandchildren and one brother to mourn their loss. The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the church, conducted by Rev. Suter, assisted by Rev. Senger of Franklin Grove. The burial was held in the Twin Grove cemetery.
--Submitted by Marilyn Widler

WILLIAM AMBLER was born in Hampshire County, West Virginia, on June 2, 1828. He was married to Fannie Byrd on April 7, 1857, and they moved to Illinois in January 1859 and settled on the farm where the remainder of his life was spent. He passed away on Sunday morning, February 27, after a long illness. Two daughters came to bless this family, Mrs. Florence Smith and Mrs. Julia Durin. The friends who knew him best will think of him as one with a kindly disposition, and one who was always quiet and unassuming in his manners. His taste for good reading was a source of great comfort to him during all the years of his life, especially through the latter part when he was much confined on account of poor health. Besides the two daughters there are left eight grandchildren, three great grandchildren, and other relatives, who with the many friends will greatly miss him. Mrs. Ambler departed this life in June 1904. Both were members of the Church of the Brethren. Funeral services were held on Tuesday forenoon in the Scarboro church, Rev. Suters of Franklin Grove preaching the sermon. Those from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. Milton Smith, Aurora; Ben Ambler, Mrs. Constable and son, Paw Paw; Mrs. Ella Smith and Mrs. McGinnis, Rochelle; Mr. and Mrs. George Ambler, Shabbona.
--Submitted by Marilyn Widler

JAMES ANDERSON , 63, formerly of New Bedford, died at 4 a.m. Monday at the Veteran's Hospital, Tucson, following a short illness. A family memorial service is being held in Phoenix. Cremation rites were accorded in Phoenix. Burial will be at a later date at the Greenville-Fairfield Township Cemetery, New Bedford. Mr. Anderson was born Nov. 23, 1926, the son of Arthur and Katie (Young) Anderson, New Bedford. He is survived by three sons, Richard, Tucson; Michael and Tom, Phoenix; two daughters, Nancy, Phoenix, Susan, New York; five grandsons; two brothers, a twin William R., Pekin; and Gail, Torrance, Calif. He was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers, Ronald and Richard.
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor The Daily Gazette, Sterling, Illinois June 26, 1990 - Tuesday, pg A2

JOHN E.C. ANDERSON , 72, of Dixon , died Sunday, Aug. 26, 2007, at KSB Hospital . He was employed by the Santa Fe Railroad for 29 years, retiring in 1987. John was born Aug. 1, 1935, in Chicago, the son of Harry and Anna ( Anderson ) Anderson. He married Carla Durnberger on Jan. 27, 1962, in Chicago . John was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church, Dixon, King Oscar Lodge 855 AF & AM, Medinah Shrine Temple, AAONMS, Addison, American Legion Post 166, Glenview, and Lost Lake Fishing Club. Survivors include his wife; a son, James Anderson of Dixon ; a daughter, Anna McCuen of Lombard; two brothers, Harry (Ruth) Anderson of Mesa, Ariz., and Norman Anderson of Lake-in-the-Hills; a sister-in-law, Alice Anderson of Chicago ; and three grandchildren, Joseph, Andrew and Steven McCuen. He was preceded in death by a brother, Walter Anderson. Memorial service is at 11 a.m. Saturday at Immanuel Lutheran Church , Dixon , with the Rev. Carol Soderholm, interim pastor, officiating. Cremation rites have been accorded. There is no visitation. Arrangements were completed by Preston-Schilling Funeral Home, Dixon .
Contributed by Pat Esterday - Taken from: The Dixon Telegraph, Wednesday, September 5, 2007, Page A2 – Col. 1 – 2

JUANITA (CARTON) ANDERSON , age 83, of Dixon, died Sunday, Jan. 11, 2004, at Amboy Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Amboy. Funeral Services will be Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2004, beginning with a Prayer Service at 10 a.m. in the Jones Funeral Home in Dixon, followed by a 10:30 a.m. Mass of Christian Burial in St. Patrick Catholic Church in Dixon, with the Rev. Michael Morrissey officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery in Dixon. Visitation was on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2004, from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. with a Rosary service at 7:30 p.m. in the funeral home. Ms. Anderson was born Dec. 14, 1919, in Mt. Carmel, the daughter of Alonzo and Della (Catron) Furlong. Survivors include one daughter, Karen (Bill) Willett of Dixon; four grandchildren, Leanne Hall, Carmen Reuter, Wendy Willett and Susan (Kent) Hohlen, all of Dixon; six great-grandchildren; brothers and sisters, Levi Furlong of Creal Springs, Alonzo Furlong of Vienna, Naomi (Leslie) Moore of Goreville, and Betty Hannah of Rosiclare. She was preceded in death by a daughter, Nancy Lee in 1992; one grandson, David James Schertner; a brother, Franklin Furlong; half-brothers, Loren, Aldo and Haskell Furlong; and a half-sister, Gladys Cox. She had been employed as an LPN at the Dixon Developmental Center and was Supervisor of Property Control at the Center when she retired. She was a member of St. Patrick Catholic Church, was a member of Wa-Tan-Ye serving as National President in 1981. She was also a member of the KSB Auxiliary and past board member of both the Lee County Council on Aging and the Lee County Senior Citizen Center. She wrote “Juanita’s Notes” in the Golden Notes News which appeared in the Dixon Telegraph. She had modeled clothing for Lewis Department store in Champaign in 1951.
Amboy News

MARGARET (McDERMOTT) ANDERSON , 69, of Route One, Harmon, died early Wednesday (5 September 1973) in the Dixon Public Hospital after a long illness. There will be visitation after 2 p.m. Thursday in the Jones Funeral home and a rosary recited there at 8 p.m. Thursday. Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 9:15 in the Jones Funeral Home and 10 o'clock in St. Flannen's Catholic Church, Harmon, with the Rev. James Laffery officiating. Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery, Harmon. Mrs. Anderson was born Oct. 9, 1903 in Harmon, the daughter of Martin and Mary Considine McDermott. She had been a resident of Harmon her entire lifetime and was united in marriage Feb. 20, 1935 to Donald Anderson in Harmon. Mrs. Anderson was a member of St. Anne's Altar and Rosary Society of St. Flannen's Catholic Church in Harmon and the Homemakers Extension. Surviving with her husband are three sisters, Mrs. John (Henrietta) McDonnell and Mrs. Leo (Veronica) Potts of Sterling and Mrs. Rebecca Egler of Rockford. She was preceded in death by her parents, two brothers and one sister.
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor - The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois September 5, 1973 - Wednesday, pg 2

MILDRED (WILSON) ANDERSON , 72, Amboy, died Thursday (6 Sep 1973) at Perry Memorial Hospital, Princeton. Funeral services will be held at the United Methodist Church at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. The Rev. Henry Holverson will officiate and burial will be in Prairie Repose Cemetery, Amboy. Friends may visit the Mihm-Jones Funeral Home, at Amboy Friday after 2 p.m. The family will be present from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Friday. The body will be taken to the church at noon Saturday. A memorial has been established in her name. Mrs. Anderson was born in Alma on Aug. 5, 1901, the daughter of Theodore and Nora Appleman Wilson. She lived in Amboy most of her life. She married Roscoe Anderson in Dixon. Survivors include fours sons, William, Rock Falls; Robert, Amboy; John, Henry, and Bruce, Dixon; two daughters, Betty and Nancy, Amboy; 11 grandchildren and one brother, George, Sandstone, Minn. She was preceded in death by her husband, one son, two brothers and one grandchild.
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor - The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois September 7, 1973 - Friday, pg 2

ROGENNA ANDERSON 64, of Dixon , completed her Heavenly transition on Monday, Aug. 13, 2007, with her loving family by her side at Kindred Hospital , Sycamore, after a long and courageous battle with renal failure and diabetes. Rogenna M. Anderson was born in Columbia , Mo. , on Mar. 1, 1943, to Thomas and Lucille (Collins) Anderson. Rogenna was born into a large and extended family, becoming the matriarchal big “Sister” of four brothers and three sisters. Rogenna accepted Christ at an early age, being baptized and joining Second Baptist Church , Dixon . Rogenna graduated from Sauk Valley Community College , Dixon , earning an Associate of Science degree in nursing. Rogenna shared her life with special friend, Thomas Coleman, for 15 years prior to his death. Rogenna is the mother of two devoted daughters, Cecilia (Alphonso) Duncan and Andrea L. Rodriguez, both of Dixon ; and one devoted son, Willis (Bersabeh) Victory-Victum of San Diego . Rogenna has five grandchildren from her loving children, Andria, Alexis and Arron Duncan of Dixon and Prince Amari and Kyah Rae Victum of San Diego and one special “Peabodi” due Oct. 2, 2007. Rogenna is survived by three loving brothers, Willie Victum of Dixon , Thomas-Delroy (Pamela) Anderson of Kansas City, Kan., and Roger Anderson of Columbia , Mo. ; ToiYon (C.B. Anderson) of Edwardsville , Kan. ; and two loving sisters, Helen (Jacob) Seward of Jonesboro, Ga., and Sondra Victum of Dixon . Rogenna retired from The Neighbors Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center , Byron, after 25 years of a successful career as a registered nurse. Rogenna served faithfully as church treasurer and Sunday school teacher for many years while a member of Second Baptist Church . Rogenna enjoyed life as a mother, grandmother, friend and confidante to all who needed a listening ear. Rogenna lived her life as a living sacrifice; she gave her all to her family and friends. Rogenna was preceded in death by her parents; special friend, Thomas Coleman; one daughter, Helena Rodriguez; one brother, C.B.Anderson; and one sister, Rose Thompson. Funeral services will be a 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, 2007, at Second Baptist Church , Dixon , with the Rev. Galon Darby, pastor, officiating. Burial will be at Oakwood Cemetery , Dixon .
Contributed by Pat Esterday - Taken from: The Dixon Telegraph, Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2007, Page A2 – Col. 1-2

WILLIAM ALLEN ANDERSON , 69, beloved husband, father, "grandpa" passed away peacefully on September 3, 2004 after a 7 month courageous battle with lung cancer. Through the battle he never lost his sense of humor. Bill is survived by his wife of 47 years Rosemarie and his sons, Jeff (Carol) from Phoenix, Mike (Dottie) from Chino, Brian (Lisa) of Santa Barbara and grandchildren, Allen, Nicole, Christine and Danielle; oldest brother Jim (Lucy) of Bradenton, Florida; brother Joe (Sharon) of Morro Bay; sister Carol (Victor) of Loves Park, Illinois; sister-in-law Joyce of Dixon, Illinois; nephews Doug and Jamie, and nieces Debbie, Amy, Kristen, Jan and Lori from Illinois and niece Shannon from Los Angeles. Bill was born in Dixon, Illinois on November 30, 1934. He attended St. Mary's Elementary School and Dixon High School. He moved to Santa Barbara in 1956. He was a Ceramic Tile Contractor. Bill was active at St. Raphael's Catholic Church for many years and Boy Scout Troop 105. He was preceded in death by his parents, James and Mary, and brother Richard. Bill was known as Grandpa Bill in the neighborhood. Working for weeks every year after Thanksgiving to set up his Christmas display for his grandchildren and children in the neighborhood. A very "Special" thank you to Dr. Greg Newman, M.D. and his staff of "Angels" at Sansum Oncology and Dr. David Phreaner, M.D. for the compassionate care they gave to Bill and his family. Your kindness will never be forgotten. A Memorial Service to celebrate Bill's life will be held Thursday, September 9th at 10am, St. Raphael's Catholic Church, 5444 Hollister Ave., Santa Barbara.
Santa Barbara News Press

EMIL ANDRES - The funeral of Emil Andres, 71, former Dixonite, who passed away Friday (December 21, 1945) in Chicago, after a years illness, will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Preston Funeral Home, the Rev. George Curran officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood. Mr. Andres who has been in the asbestos manufacturing business in Chicago for half a century was born in Dixon the son of Frederick and Mary Andres. A sister, Mrs. Frank Alworth, Evanston and a brother Louis of Dixon survive. His parents and five brothers preceded him.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 24 December 1945

JOSEPH PETER ANDRES , 78, retired Alto township farmer passed away at 12:30 this morning (03 February 1945) at the Rochelle hospital to which he had been admitted Friday. Services will be held at the Steward Methodist Church Monday afternoon, the Rev. Townsend officiating. Burial will be in Steward Cemetery. Dixon Evening Telegraph 3 Feb. 1945

LUCY (BAER) ANKENY , the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Benford, was born May 2, 1861 in Somerset county, Pa., and passed away July 20 at the age of 83 years, two months and 18 days in the Linton nursery home. She spent her childhood days with her parents in Pennsylvania, having been the youngest of 15. She was united in holy matrimony to Nelson A. Ankeny, Oct. 13th, 1880. To this union nine children were born: Mary, Rosie, Charles, Carrie, Bessie, Fern, Mark, Myrtle and Emma. Her husband, a son and daughter preceeded her in death. After the death of her husband she spent a year and a half in her home on North Dixon avenue. She then went to live with her daughter, Mrs. George Pitzer of South Dixon. She lived there until March 14 of this year. She was then moved to the Linton nursery home for medical care until the time of her departure. Surviving to mourn her loss her children: Mrs. Mary Drew of St. Louis, MO., Mrs. Glen Burket of Dixon, Mrs. Harold Huff of Indiana, Mrs. Joe Karl of Minnesota, Mrs. Myrtle Quilter of Buffalo, NY., and Mrs. George Pitzer of Dixon, also 23 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren and a large circle of friends and neighbors who cherish her memories and emulate her virtues. She was a good christian and a devoted mother. She attended church as long as her health permitted and was a faithful follower of God. Funeral services were conducted Saturday, July 22 at St. Paul's Lutheran church by the Rev. Lloyd W. Walter. Songs, "Jesus Lover of my Soul," and "The Old Rugged Cross" were sung by Mrs.----- Rosbrook and Mrs. Edna Weyant. Flowers were taken care of by Mrs. Earl Senneff and Mrs. Clyde Emmert. Pall bearers were: George Prescott, Earl Giese, Will Morris, Ernest Stewart, Leon Burket and Mathias Levan. Entombment was in Oakwood Memorial mausoleum.
Contributed by Diann Romesberg - July 26, 1944, Dixon Telegraph

JOHN KASPAR ANTHES , died at his home in Bradford Township, Ashton, Lee Co., IL on Monday, December 11, 1876. Brother Anthes was born on June 9, 1826 in Zwingenberg, Hessendarmstadt. He came to American at the age of 21 years. Brother Anthes was formerly a minister and member of the Illinois Conference of the Evangelical Church. Soon after his arrival in America, through the services of an Evangelical Minister, he became interested and was converted to the Christian faith. He served many years as a class leader. In 1851 he received permission from the Illinois Conference to serve as a minister on probation and was immediately assigned as a circuit rider. He served eight years as a traveling minister, and later a number of years as a local minister, but some years ago withdrew from the church and remained thus until his death. In spite of this, unheeded, he sought to serve God and was busy again and again in the service of the Lord. Brother Anthes had been ailing for a year but the ailment that caused his death was dropsy from which he suffered severely the last four weeks. He death occurred on Monday, December 11, 1876. I often visited him during his illness and questioned him in regards to his religious beliefs; and so I asked him shortly before his death in regard to his own religious faith. He replied he had made his peace with God and could die happily. His end was peace. At the time of his death he was 50 years, six months and two days old. He leaves behind a deeply bereaved wife and nine children (4 sons and 5 daughters), two loving brothers and many other kinsmen. Three children preceded him in death. On Wednesday, Dec 13, his remains were laid to rest. A large assembly of friends attended the services at which the author of this obituary preached in German, and Reverend Laschell of the Ashton Mission preached in English. ---- signed A. S. Heilman
(Burial in the Old German Cemetery) - Contributed by Dave Anthes

ARTHUR ANTOINE : Word has been received here of the death yesterday of Arthur Antoine of Boulder Colo. A former resident of Amboy and Dixon, he was a son of the late Joseph Antoine. Surviving are the wife, a daughter Josephine, who is well known opera singer; four brothers, Henry and Frank of Amboy; Edward, Ottawa and Albert, Maple Park; and one sister Mrs. Robert Lytle, Camby Minn.
Dixon Evening Telegraph December 14, 1948

EARL J. ANTOINE , 83, 302 W. Division St., Amboy, died Tuesday in Mendota Community Hospital following a brief illness. Funeral services will be on Friday at 10:30 a.m. in the Mihm-Jones Funeral Home, Amboy, with an 11 a.m. Mass of the Resurrection in the St. Patrick's Church with Raymond Wahl, officiating. Burial will be in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Amboy. Visitation will be on Thursday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. with a prayer service at 8 p.m. Earl Antoine was born on Oct. 18, 1899 in Amboy, the son of Henry and Jennie O'Toole Antoine. He operated Antoine Motor Sales until retiring in 1953. On June 21, 1927 he married Margaret Klise in Stuart, Iowa. She preceded him in death. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Patricia Brady, Sterling and Mrs. Joe (Kathleen) McInerney, Amboy; four grandchildren; and three great grandchildren.
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor - Sterling Gazette February 23, 1983 - Wednesday, pg A4

EDWARD ANTOINE - Services for Edward Antoine, 83, who died at 11 o'clock Monday night in Ottawa will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Mihm funeral home, the Rev. D.G. Smith of the First Baptist Church officiating. Burial will be in Prairie Repose Cemetery. He was born June 9, 1866 in Lee county and spent most of his life in the county. He was the son of Edward and Caroline Hazelmann Antoine and married Miss Emma Ross July 10, 1889. She did June 15, 1938. He had been in ill health the past five and a half years and for the past five years had lived in Ottawa with his daughter Miss Nina Antoine. The body was brought to Amboy this afternoon where it will lie in the Mihm funeral home. Surviving are the daughter Nina, two brothers Albert, Maple Park, and Frank,Amboy; one sister Mrs. Robert Lytle, Camby Minn., and one great grandson Gene Kellor, Dixon. Six half brothers and three brothers are deceased. One, Henry Antoine died a week ago. A daughter Mrs. Stella Burrows of Janesville Wis., also is deceased as is a grandaughter.
Dixon Evening Telegraph July 6,1949

HENRY F. ANTOINE , 78, Amboy a native of Lee County died at 11 p.m. Saturday (June 25 1949) in his East Main street home after suffering a stroke early Tuesday. He had been in ill health for several months. Mr. Antoine was born in Lee county Sept. 19, 1870 the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Antoine, and was married to Jenny O'Toole, Amboy, Oct. 25, 1898. The couple celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last October. The decedent employed for a number of years at the Sanitary Creamery had also been custodian of the First National Bank for 20 years. Surviving are his widow, a son Earl, Amboy, two grandchildren, three brothers; Albert, Maple Park, Frank, Amboy, and Ed, Ottawa and a sister Mrs. Robert Lytle, Cambry Minn. Preceding him in death were his parents, six half brothers and six full brothers. The body will be taken from the Mihm funeral home to the residence this afternoon. Services will held at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday from the home to St. Patricks church where final rites are scheduled for 9 a.m. Internment will be in St. Patricks Cemetery.
Dixon Evening Telegraph June 27, 1949

MARTHA (MILLER) ARGRAVES was born in the little town of Vaughn in the northern part of the state of New York, March 20, 1831 and died in Des Moines, Iowa, February 7, 1917, aged 85 years, 10 months and 18 days. From New York she removed at an early age to West Canada near Hamilton and Dundas situated on Lake Ontario. Losing her mother at a tender age of four years, her girlhood was spent with an aunt until spring of 1864 when her father and family moved west to Lee County, Ill., making the trip by covered wagon. This trip she often looked backed upon as more in the nature of a picnic, full of new sights and scenery, along the way. The family settled at Malugin's Grove where on October 4, 1847, she was united in marriage to Samuel Argraves, who preceded her in death, dying January 7, 1899. Together they took up the struggle of early pioneer life. In 1850 Mr. Argraves went to California braving the dangers of desert starvation and Indians leaving behind him the young wife with two little ones, to make her way alone. But with a spirit born of high courage, she succeeded in caring for herself and them, and in two years he returned with enough to make a fair start and pay for the little home. Mrs. Argraves early united with the Methodist church, of which she remained a true and constant Christian. Hers was one of those beautiful cheerful lives always willing to help others in time of need, and with a kind word for all, young and old alike. She is survived by four children: W. S. of Sterling; Angelina Avery of Des Moines, Iowa; Martha Hutchinson of Dixon; and S. O. Argraves of Compton. Also twenty grandchildren and four great grandchildren, all of whom loved her and honored her. The funeral was held Saturday afternoon from Methodist Church at Compton. Interment was made in Fisk Cemetery.
--Submitted by Marilyn Widler

SAMUEL ARGRAVES died at his home in Compton, Saturday morning January 7th. He had been ill for some time and his death was not unexpected. Samuel Argraves was a native of Lancashire England, where he was born May 4, 1825. When he was but four years old, his parents removed to this country and settled in Essex County, N. Y., and subsequently removed to Canada, where they died and where Samuel lived until the winter of 1845. Then a young man of twenty, he came to Lee County, making the journey with a horse and cutter, arriving at Malugins' grove with only $1.50 cash in his possession. He soon found work and by industrious frugality saved money and the following year entered a government claim, built him a cabin and commenced the battle of life alone, constructing his household furniture with his own hands. In 1847, however, he had pursuaded Miss Martha Miller to unite her destiny with his, and on October 14th of that year they were married and to them was born a family of two sons and two daughters. In 1850 he was smitten with the gold fever, and in company with James H. Thompson visited that Eldorado of the gold seeker--California. Here he remained two years. An interesting story could we tell of his experiences on the overland trip out, his work in the mines and his return by way of the Isthmus of Panama and New Orleans, had we the time. With the results of this trip, he paid for his land and entered upon a successful career of farming, investing his capital from time to time in additional landed possessions until he was at one time proprietor of 1,500 acres of as fine farming land as could be found in this part of the state. In 1865 Mr. Argraves enlisted in Co. I, 15th Ill. Inf., in which he served an honorable but brief war record of eight months, until the close of the Civil War. On the close of the war, Mr. Argraves resumed his business as a farmer, which he continued as long as his strength permitted, putting his whole energy into is work, which was systematically carried on. Cautious, but enterprising, good fortune attended his efforts, and while accumulating a competence, he secured what was of perhaps still higher value to him, the respect and good will of all with whom he was associated. The funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in Compton Monday at 10:30 a.m. and the burial took place north of the village in the Little Malugin cemetery (Fisk Cemetery).
--Submitted by Marilyn Widler

JOHN J. ARMSTRONG : Attorney John J. Armstrong who had been in ill health for the past six months passed away at his home 611 Peoria Avenue 1:30 Sunday morning. Several months ago he was forced to suspend his activities because of failing health and he had been confined to his home since. He was born at Apple River, Jo Daviess county May 14, 1872 and when a young man came to Lee county where he taught school in Maytown and at the Webber district for for a few years before becoming principal of the Compton high school. He then entered the law department of the Dixon college where as an honor student, he graduated with the class of 1912 and shortly after began the practice of law. Elected a member of the city council of Dixon her served for several terms as commissioner of the department of public health and safety and later was appointed commissioner for several of the outstanding local improvements made in Dixon in recent years. He was a member of Dixon Council Knights of Columbus and Dixon Lodge No. 79 B.P.O. Elks Surviving him are three sisters Mrs. Daniel Holland of Apple River, Ill., the Misses Elizabeth and Anna at home and one brother Dr. H.F. Armstrong of Decatur. Funeral services will be held at the Staples Funeral Home Tuesday at 10:30 and at St. Patricks Catholic Church at 11:00, the Rev. Fr. T.L. Walsh officiating. Burial at Apple River
Dixon Evening Herald 13 Aug 1945

EDWARD BLAISSE ARNOULD a long time resident of this city, died Monday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Harry Coe of Springfield, where in company with Mrs. Arnould he had gone early in May. Funeral services were held yesterday morning at the Presbyterian church with Rev. Young, pastor of the Dixon Presbyterian church, officiating. Burial was made in the Ashton cemetery. Edward Blaisse Arnould was born in Alsace Lorainne, France, on November 22, 1863. At the age of 7 he came with his parents to the US, settling in Bradford Twp. Later moving to Ashton. On October 19, 1886 he was united in marriage with Caroline Gilbert. Their entire married life has been spent in Ashton. Here their two children were born, Eva A. and Charles E., who preceded him in death on November 17, 1932. He was a member of the Ashton Presbyterian church and attended services whenever his health permitted. He leaves to mourn his death, his widow, a daughter, two grandchildren and one brother, Vincent of Dixon.
Submitted by Pat France

MARY L. ARNOULD , 711 Hennepin avenue, Dixon, passed away at the KSB hospital Monday morning at 11 o'clock, following a long illness. She was born in China township, Feb. 26, 1865. She is survived by two daughters Mrs. Lawrence Daily of Dixon and Mrs. Ray M. Tubbs of Amboy; two sons, Ray A. Arnould and Vincent E. Arnould of Dixon. Three brothers and two sisters survive; John Kelley of Franklin Grove, Charles of Rockford, Peter of Ashton, Mrs. Katherine Utz, Dixon and Mrs. Anna Russell, Oakland, Calif. Funeral services will be held Wednesday morning at 9 o'clock at the Jones funeral home and at 9:30 at St. Patrick's Catholic church, the Rev. Walter Roberts officiating, and interment will be in Oakwood cemetery.
Dixon Evening Telegraph Jan. 6, 1948

MALINDA SHAW (FROST) ASCHENBRENNER , older daughter of Captain William S. and Sophia (Shaw) Frost, was born at Lee Center, February 11, 1868 and passed away at the home of her son Andrew in Bradford township, August 16, 1944, after a brief illness at the age of 76 years, 6 months and 5 days. Her father's family moved to a farm in Bradford township when she was a child and there she spent her childhood days. SHe obtained her education in the district and Lee Center Schools, afterward attending Dixon college where she graduated in music. She always loved the old church hymns and would play and sing them by the hours. February 22, 1890 she was united in marriage with Andrew Aschenbrenner and to this union three children were born, Della E. Olmstead, Marion E. Martz, Andrew R.F. Aschenbrenner. They settled on a farm in Bradford township where Mr. Aschenbrenner passed away in February, 1923. She was also precededin death by her parents, two brothers, Frank E. and S.D. Frost, and her sister, Mrs. Della Warnick. Mrs. Aschenbrenner was a member of the Lee Center Congregational Church and Sunday school, always attending when her health permitted. She was also affiliated with Garnet chapter Order of the Eastern Star of Franklin Grove; a charter member of Abigail Rebekah Lodge of Lee Center and was a memberof the Amboy Woman's club. Bradford Home Bureau and Lee Center Ladies Circle. Possessed of an optimistic and cheerful nature she could always see the good in people and never said an uncharitable word about anyone. While devoted to herhome and family, she was a kind friend and neighbor and took a deep interest in the current affairs of her country, listening eagerly to the news broadcast by the radio. The memory of her radiant personality will always be cherished by her family and friends. Survivors include the three children, six grandchildren, one great grandchild, one brother, W. S. Frost, a number of nieces andnephews. Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at the Lee Center Congregational church, preceded by prayer at the Hicks funeral home in Franklin Grove. The Rev. Dennis Bennett, pastor of the church, officiated and three of her favorite sons, "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere,", Sweet Bye and Bye'. and "Near the Cross," were sung by Mrs. Raymond Degner and Mrs. Esther Kalstead, accompanied by Mrs. C.A. Ullrich. Lester Aschenbrenner, Earl Carlson, Lyle Frost, Raymond Degner, Lane Clapsaddele and Vernon Pomeroy served as casket bearers. Abigail Rebekah lodge 759 formed an honorary escort at the church.
Dixon Telegraph August 23, 1944

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN ATHERTON - The many friends of B. F. Atherton were very much surprised and shocked Saturday morning to hear of his sudden death the evening before. It was not generally known that he had been ill. He had been confined to the house only a few days with the grip, not even bed fast. On Friday evening while walking across the room he fell to the floor and was assisted to a couch and died instantly. Following is the obituary: Benjamin Franklin Atherton, was born near Scranton, Lackawanna Co., PA, October 24, 1828 and died at his late residence, about four miles northeast of Paw Paw, IL, on the eve of January 3, 1908 at the age of 79 years, 2 months and 10 days. He came to Illinois in the fall of 1854 and together with his brother Charles Atherton, purchased the farm where they lived in harmony and brotherly love until the death of the brother some nineteen years ago. This place has been his home for over fifty years. He and the brother made all the improvements, it being open prairie when they first took possession of it. Mr Atherton was united in marriage to Miss Almira C. Maynard of Factoryville, Wyoming Co., PA on October 26, 1858. She has been his willing and efficient help-mate as well as a loving and faithful companion for over forty-nine years. To this union were born four children, two sons and two daughters. The elder son, Thomas M, and an infant daughter passed into the spirit land long since. He is survived by his faithful wife, elder daughter Ella A, wife of F. H. Chichester, of LaCrosse, WI and his younger son Joseph E. Atherton who has spent all his life with his father and mother, caring for them in declining years. Besides his family there are left to morn his loss, four sisters, one of whom is Mrs. Ellen Vosburgh of Lee, IL. The other three sisters reside in his native state Pennsylvania. Mr. Atherton was not a member of any church, but was in accord with the church workers and was willing to aid their work or any other good cause. He was an obliging citizen and a most kind and loving husband and father. He was always a lover of peace and justice, ever trying to be at peace with his fellow men. Not long since he remarked that he believed he had not an enemy in the world. His favorite motto was that of Abraham Lincoln: "With malice toward none, with charity for all." He will be missed in the community, being one of the oldest settlers and his place in the hearts of his relatives and friends can never be filled. The funeral was held Monday afternoon at the home and the burial was made at the Ellsworth Cemetery, Rev. W. C. Scott officiating. Mr. and Mrs George H. Hicks, accompanied by Mrs. Teal Swarthout rendered three beautiful selections of music.
Contributed by Anne Butcher from the Lee County Times Jan. 9, 1908

ELEANOR (STONE) ATHERTON , was born in New York on December 10, 1844. She came West with her father, William Stone, who was one of the pioneers of DeKalb County. In Lee County, Illinois on December 10, 1865, she married Mr. William M. Atherton. After marriage they located on a 40 acre tract in Dekalb County where Mr. Atherton engaged in farming. In 1869 they moved to California where Mr. Atherton engaged in raising grain. In 1872, they returned to DeKalb County and purchased 130 acres of the Atherton family place. Mr. and Mrs. Atherton raised five children: Adaline L. (Benjamin Valentine), Ralph L. (Bertha Hoag), Benjamin F. (Olive Prentice), Wilbur Angus (Mary Kirby) and Jonathan W. (Mary Stern). Mrs. Atherton died on June 1, 1883 and was buried in the South Paw Paw Cemetery.
Contributed by Karen Holt - Burial: South Paw Paw Cemetery, Paw Paw, Lee County, Illinois
Birth: Dec. 10, 1844 New York // Death: Jun. 1, 1883 South Paw Paw, Lee County, Illinois

RALPH ATHERTON was a native of Massachusetts, born April 1, 1804. Ralph went to Pennsylvania in 1828, locating in Luzerne County, where he married Maria Sine, a native of New Jersey. Ralph Atherton was a shoemaker by trade and served an apprenticeship of seven years. He opened up a store and engaged in the boot and shoe business for several years in Scranton, Pennsylvania. In 1843 he came to DeKalb County, Illinois and entered a tract of two hundred acres. Locating on his claim he built a log house, in which he lived for eight years while improving the farm. During the winter he worked at his trade, and carried on quite an extensive business, making boots and shoes for the people in the surrounding country. The old log house gave place to a more modern frame building after eight years, and there he reared his family. After the death of his wife, he went to Kansas and resided with a son two or three years, then returned to Illinois and spent his last years, dying at the residence of a daughter in Lee County, September 6, 1890, at the age of eighty-six years.
Contributed by Karen Holt - Burial: South Paw Paw Cemetery, Paw Paw, Lee County, Illinois
Birth: Apr. 1, 1803 Greenfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts
Death: Sep. 6, 1890 Lee County, Illinois

WILLIAM M. ATHERTON , was born in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania on March 21, 1841 and was the son of Ralph Atherton, a native of Massachusetts. William Atherton came to DeKalb County, Illinois when a child. He attended the common schools and spent several terms in the Union Academy at Paw Paw. He was married in Sycamore, February 2, 1861, to Miss Ellen Burch, a native of Ohio. In August 1862 he enlisted in Company K, 75th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, a company raised at West Paw Paw and in which his two brothers, Benjamin F. and Zora, also enlisted. The regiment was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, and participated in many engagements during its term of service. In the battle of Perryville, Kentucky, October 8, 1862, it lost two hundred and forty-five men, and among the killed was Zora Atherton, and among the wounded was Benjamin F. Atherton. Among the other engagements in which the regiment participated, were Stone River, Liberty Gap, Tullahoma, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge. At Lookout Mountain the company of our subject was on the wagon road skirmish line. Later the regiment was in the siege and surrender of Atlanta. He was discharged at Chicago July 4, 1865, and returned to his home and resumed his place upon the farm. While still in the service, December 19, 1864, his wife died, leaving one son, Harry Lincoln. In Lee County, Illinois, December 10, 1865, Mr. Atherton married Miss Eleanor Stone, a native of New York. After marriage he located on a 40 acre tract where he engaged in farming. In 1869 he rented the place and moved to California where he purchased 160 acres of land and engaged in raising grain. In 1872, he returned to DeKalb County and purchased 130 acres of his father's old place. Some years later purchased the remainder and remained actively engaged in farming until his death. In the fifty-five years of his residence in DeKalb County he made many warm friends and few enemies.
Contributed to Karen Holt Burial: South Paw Paw Cemetery, Paw Paw, Lee County, Illinois
Birth: Mar. 22, 1841 Luzerne County, Pennsylvania / Death: Jun. 29, 1925 Waterman, DeKalb County, Illinois

WILLIAM ATKINSON died at his home in Oakdale, Nebraska, being aged 79 years, 5 months and 20 days. He grew to manhood in (Lee County) Illinois and it was there he married Mrs Rebecca Lee. To this union was born one child, a son, Levi E Atkinson, of Oakdale. The Atkinsons left Illinois in 1886 and came to Antelope County, Nebraska settling on a farm northeast of Oakdale. Here they lived until about six years ago, when the toll of years made it necessary for them to give up the strenuous labor of farm life. For three years they lived with their son in Holt and Rock counties, finally coming back to Oakdale to spend the remainder of their days. "Uncle Billie", as he was known to the residents of Oakdale, was cheerful and despite the advancing years was always alert and keen of wit. He passed the time of day with whomever he met as he went between his home and town several times a day. During the past few weeks he has been missed.

Lee County Obituaries