HORACE HACKMAN , 69, died Tuesday night at the Rochelle Hospital following a long illness. He had been hospitalized since Friday. He was born Oct. 3, 1900, the son of William and Ella Hackman at Louisville KY. They moved to the Compton area, and on Jan. 3, 1922 he was united in marriage with Zeta Howarth at Mendota. They farmed in the Ashton area for a number of years and six years ago moved to Ashton. Mr. Hackman was a member of the Bradford Community Club. Surviving are his wife, and a daughter Dorothy, Mrs. Kenneth Scaggs of rural Polo. He was preceded in death by his parents and brother. Serviced will be Friday at 2 p.m. at the Cluts Funeral home with Rev. Robert T. Prater pastor of the United Methodist Church officiating.Burial will be in the Ashton Cemetery.
Contributed by Pat France

RUTH (CRIPE) HAENITSCH , 89, of Dixon, formerly of Mount Carroll, died Monday, March 26, at her residence. Born Oct. 12, 1911 in Mt. Carroll, she was the daughter of Israel and Delilah (Sweitzer) Cripe. She married Claude Haenitsch Feb. 23, 1939, in Lanark, he died May 8, 1984. She received her education in the Mt. Carroll schools and at Browns' Business College in Freeport. She was employed at the Carroll County State Bank and the Mirror-Democrat newspaper office for six years. She and her husband farmed near Ashton for 35 years. She also helped in the Menu department at KSB Hosptial in Dixon for several years. She was a member of the Franklin Grove Church of the Brethren, attended the Assembly of God Church in Dixon and was a member of the KSB Auxiliary. She and her husband were involved for several months in volunteer work at the Brethren Volunteer Service in Phoenix, Ariz. and spent a month in the tornado disaster area in Wichita Falls TX. Surviving are one son, David (Kathy) Haenitsch of Lee Center; two daughters, Carmen (Ronald) Gratsch of Fairfield Ohio and Susan (Bill McCoy) Summers of Dixon; 12 grandchildren; 32 great grandchildren and seven great great grandchildren. In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by one half-brother, Robert Johnson and on half sister, Olive McGrath. Funeral services were held Saturday, March 31 at the Preston-Schilling Funeral home of DIxon with the Rev. William Christiansen of the Franklin Grove Church of the Brethren and the Rev. Garry McCaw of the Assembly of God Church in Dixon officiating. Burial was in Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens in Dixon.

WILLIAM HAENITSCH , 77, a life long resident of the community died Tuesday in the KSB hospital. Mr. Haenitsch ws born Aug. 26, 1888 in Ashton Twp., the son of August and Margaret Glinem Haenitsch. He was married to Ruth Cruse, who died in 1917. He married Lucie Beaber Oct. 11, 1928. A veteran of WW I, Mr. Haenitsch was a member of World War I Barracks, Rochelle. He was also a member of the Franklin Grove Lions Club and Presbyterian Church. Mr. Haenitsch was preced in death in addition to his first wife by a son, five grandchildren, a brother and two sisters. SUrvivors are his widow; five sons, Albert of Rockford, Melvin of Ashton, Ronald and Gary of Dixon, Stanley of Franklin Grove and Mrs. Raymond (Rosemary) Beaird of Hazelcrest; 23 grandchildren and a sister, Miss Lillian Haenitsch of Ashton. Service will be held 2 p.m. Thursday in the Presbyterian Church in Franklin Grove iwth Rev. H.C. Montanus of Ottawa, a former pastor, officiating. Burial will be in the Ashton Cemetery. Military honors will be conducted by Ashton Post 345, American Legion and the Rochelle WW I Barracks.
Contributed by Pat France

CHARLES E. HANSON 52, of Amboy died Oct.19, 2004. Mass of Christian Burial was held at St. Mary's Catholic Church in West Brooklyn at 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 23. Burial was at Binghampton Cemetery in Amboy. Visitation was held from 2-4 p.m. and from 6-8 p.m. on Oct. 23 at the Mihm-Jones Funeral Home, Amboy with the rosary recited at 2 p.m. and on Saturday from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the church. Mr. Hanson was born Aug. 23,1952, the seventh child of Wilbur and Jean (Gittens) Hanson of Compton. He married Cynthia Ail on Dec. 18, 1993 in Las Vegas, Nev. Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Kimberly Gascoigne of Amboy; a son, Nathan (Anita) Gascoigne of Rock Falls; three grandchildren, Linnea, Chanse and Curtis of Rock Falls; brothers and sisters, Ed (Kate) Hanson and Jerry (Sally) Hanson, both of Compton, Willie (Sandy) Hanson, Sue (Chuck) Schoenholz and Kathy (Charlie) Mackin, all of Mendota, Steve (Virginia) Hanson of Union, Don (Carla) Hanson of DeKalb, Dave Hanson of Utica and Joe (Laura) Hanson of Kentwood, Mich.; and many nieces and nephews and friends. He was preceded in death by his parents. Mr. Hanson worked as a transportation engineer for Hoffman Enterprises of Morris for several years. He partnered with his wife, Cynthia, over the road, enjoying precious time together and was accompanied by his faithful companion and friend, Pudge. Memorials may be directed to the family until later established.

MARY CATHERINE (GOY) HARMON - With impressive ritual and chant of the Requiem High Mass in the presence of many sympathetic friends who had gathered to pay a last tribute of love and esteem to the deceased, the funeral of Mary Harmon was held from St. Mary's church on Thursday, Jan. 26, at nine o'clock. The celebrant of the Mass was her pastor, Rev. Father Halbemaier, and in his sermon spoke words of consolation and hope to the bereaved family. Mary Harmon, nee Goy, was born in Maytown on January 28, 1911, and grew to young womanhood in this vicinity. With the exception of the last four years spent at Mt. St. Clair's Academy at Clinton, Iowa, her entire life was spent in our midst. The strong Christian training she received from the Sisters and so splendidly supplemented by her devout parents was very manifest. She was free from vanity, self love and self complacency. On February 9, 1932, she was united in marriage with Hugh D. Harmon of Dixon. Their wedded life though short, was a singularly happy one. On January 15, a little son, Charles Donald, was born to them and their happiness seemed complete. But this happiness was short lived for on Jan. 24 the young mother was called by death. All that could possibly be done for her by loving family, doctor and nurse, was of no avail and she peacefully and resignedly passed away on Tuesday morning, fully conscious to the last and feebly joining in response to the prayers of those kneeling around her bed. Besides her heart-broken husband and infant son, she is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Goy and one brother, Harold, and many relatives and a host of friends. The entire country side bowed in deep sorrow and extend to this young husband, parents and brother their deepest sympathy. There is but one consolation and only one thought can sustain them now and that is the realization that her life though short in years, was rich in virtue. The large crowd which attended the final services at the church, the numerous kind expressions of sympathy, the continuous stream of visitors to the home of the deceased during the days of illness and death, the sermon of the pastor, Rev. Fr. Halbemaier, beautiful in spiritual meaning and consoling in reference to the deceased, were all a touching final tribute to a genuine Christian young lady. Interment was made in the family lot adjoining the church.
Website of Fred Lager (Rootsweb)

MELVINA (BRITTIAN) HARRINGTON , who has been in very feeble health all summer, died at the home of her son, E. A. Harrington, in Thornton, Monday morning, Oct. 19, 1908, at 5 o'clock. Melvina Brittian was born in Munsey, Lycoming county, Pa., August 6, 1835 and died Oct. 19, 1908 at the age of 73 years, 2 months and 13 days. She moved with her parents to Grand Rapids, Mich., in 1838; from there to Grafton, Ill. about 1840; and about 1846 took up a residence at Paw Paw, Ill. Here she was married to Abel J. Harrington Oct. 3, 1856. They made their new home in Paw Paw, where they continued to reside until 1895, when they removed to Thornton, Ia. Their stay in Thornton was short, as they removed to Peru, Ill., the next year, 1896, at which place she made her home until March of this year, when she came to live here with her son, E. A. Harrington. She was the mother of five children, only two of whom survive her, E. A. Harrington, of this place, and Dr. W. B. Harrington of Harmon, Illinois. Mrs. Harrington had been an invalid for many years and her death was the culmination of many months of suffering. Thus is the burden of life laid down for the crown of eternity. The funeral was held at the family residence Tuesday afternoon, services being conducted by Rev. Sands, and the remains accompanied by the sorrowing sons were taken to Paw Paw, Ill. for burial beside her deceased husband and children.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler - Thornton (Ia.) Enterprize

BARBARA GAYLE (COOPER) HARTZELL , Barbara Gayle Hartzell, 76, of Sterling died Monday Dec. 23, 2002 at the Neighbor's Nursing Home, Byron. She worked for Rockford Life Insurance Co., for 20 years and H & R Block for 20 years prior to her retirement in 1995. Barbara was born June 25, 1926, in Holbart, Okla., the daughter of Winiford Garland and Sarah Marie (Oehlert) Cooper. She married Lawrence Eugene Hartzell on Dec. 11, 1945, in Wichita, Kas. Barbara's greatest joy ws her family and she was an avid reader. Survivors inclue two sons, Lary (Laurice) Hartzell of Rockford and Eugene (Gail) Hartzell of Dixon; three daughters, Linda Marie Kopecky, Pamela (Gilbert) Easton and Connie (Walter) Pope, all of Loves Park; one sister, Ina Lee Kerns of WIchita, Kan.; seven grandchildren and three great grandchildren. Services will be at 11 am Dec 27 at Preston Schilling Funeral Home in Dixon with the Rev. Walter F. Pope of Rockford officiating. Burial will be in Emmert Cemetery, Nachusa.
Daily Gazette December 24, 2002

MARGARET A. (FAY) HAWKINS , 85, of Dixon, IL died Monday, April 21, 2003 at Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital, Dixon. She was a secretary at Lawton Diary in Dixon for 17 years and worked as a stenographer for Klinger Addressing Company in Highland Park, IL for six years prior to her retirement in 1979. Margaret was born June 19, 1917 in Elgin, IL, the daughter of Clarence W. and Elsie (Martins) Fay. She married Howard F. Hawkins on November 24, 1938 in Elgin. She was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Dixon, The Catholic Women's Club and the Mother's Study Club. Survivors include her husband of Dixon; two sons, James (Joy) Hawkins of Golden, CO and Thomas Hawkins of Aurora, IL; three grandchildren; three great grandchildren; and a sister-in-law, Maxine Cotter of Dixon. A Prayer service will be held at 10 AM Friday, April 25, 2003 at the Preston-Schilling Funeral Home in Dixon followed by a 10:30 AM Mass of Christian Burial at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Dixon with Father Thomas E. Bales, Pastor of Holy Family Catholic Church, Rockford, officiating. Burial will be at Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens, Dixon. Visitation will be from 2 to 8 PM Thursday at the funeral home, with family present from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 PM with an 8 PM Prayer Service. A memorial has been established to the American Lung Association
Contributed by James Seidelman

LILLIAN (BOYENGA) HAWLEY , 29, former Ashton resident died last night in a Grand Rapids Mich. hospital, following brain surgery. Mrs. Hawley is the former Miss Lillian Boyenga, Ashton. She graduated as a registered nurse from KSB hospital in 1943. Mrs. Hawley is survived by her husband. Arrangements are incomplete but burial will probably be in Ashton.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 18 Aug 1951

CHARLES HAY , 43, Moore’s Mobile Home Park, Dixon, died early Sunday morning (01 April 1973) in Dixon Public Hospital. Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. at the Wheelock-Allen funeral Home with the Rev. Dr. H. C. Hatton, pastor of the First Nazarene Church of Sterling, officiating. Burial will be in Riverside Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home Monday from 3-5 and 7-9 p.m. Charles Hay was born Feb. 26, 1930, at Big Stone City, S.D., the son of Fred W. and Nina Mae Adams Hay. He was a veteran of the Korean War stationed with the Army in B Battery of the 41st Field Artillery Battalion. He had worked in construction for many years and was a city policeman at Geneseo, before his illness caused him to retire. On August 14, 1959, he was united in marriage to Lois E. Gazier. Survivors include his widow, two daughters, Pamela Sue and Teri, both at home; two sons, Bob Allen and Barlow, both of Minneapolis, Minn.; four brothers, Walter R., James and Larry, all of Rock Falls and Russell of East Moline. He was preceded in death by his parents, two sisters and one brother.
Contributed by Barbara Nugent - The Sterling Gazette, Monday, April 2, 1973, 2;2

SOPHIA G. (SCHULTZ) HAYEN , 84, of Franklin Grove died Monday, Aug. 4, 2003, at Franklin Grove Nursing Center. She was employed by Rockford Products for 25 years, retiring in 1981. Mrs. Hayen was born Nov. 13 1918, in Sterling, the daughter of Werner and Helene Louis (Cassens) Schultz, She married William Henry Hayen on April 11, 1936, in Sterling. He died July 11 2001. She was a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Franklin Grove. Survivors include a daughter Joyce (LeRoy) Kreger of Dixon; two grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by a granddaughter; and a sister, BerniceBoysen. Memorial service is at 10:30 am Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church, Franklin Grove, with the Rev. Armond Simone officiating. Private entombment of cremains is at a later date at Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens, Dixon. There is no visitation. Arrangements were completed by Preston-Schilling Funeral Home, Dixon. In lieu of flowers, memorials have been established to St. Paul Lutheran Church, Franklin Grove and KSB Hospice.
Sterling Gazette 5 August 2003

FERN (ROBINSON) HAYS , daughter of Eva and William Howard Robinson was born in Lee Center on April 10, 1910. In 1917 she moved with her parents to a farm in Bradford township. She attended the local schools and graduated from Ashton high school in 1929. On March 4, 1933 she was united in marriage to Earl Sanders who preceded her in death December 16, 1939. To this union were born two children, Bernice and Wayne. On June 8, 1940 she was married to George Hays. For the past year she has been a patient sufferer with the diseas which finally proved too severe to be conquered by medical care and her own none too robust strength. Surviving are her parents, Mr. and mrs. W.H. Robinson,the daughter and son, her husband, a brother, George and a sister, Mrs. Ernest Morris. Servicew were held Tuesday at the Cluts funeral home and at the Presbyterian church, Rev. H.C. Montanus officiating. Favorite hymns were sung by Mrs. Dorothy Eich, accompanied by Mrs. Montanus. Pallbearers were Max Smart, Everett Williams,Eugene Sword, Walter Spratt, Elmer Turner and Clarence Hicks.
Contributed by Pat France

BETTY J. (CLAYTON) HAZELWONDER , age 75, of Amboy, died Friday, Jan. 9, 2004, in her home. Funeral services were Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2004, at 10 a.m. in the Mihm-Jones Funeral Home in Amboy, with the Rev. Frank Daleiden, officiating. Burial followed in St. Patrick Cemetery in Amboy. Visitation was on Monday, from 5 to 8 p.m. in the Funeral Home. Mrs. Hazelwonder was born Nov. 14, 1928, in Peoria, the daughter of Earl and Fannie (Robbins) Clayton. She married Frank Hazelwonder on Nov. 2, 1972, in Dixon. Survivors include her husband of Amboy; four daughters, Kathy (Ed) Blake of Las Vegas, Linda (Bill) Oester, Rita Whelchel and Janice McAnally, all of Amboy; two step-sons, Ed Zimmerly of Dixon and Daryl “Chuck” Zimmerly of Amboy; special friend June Penhollow Heaton of Dixon; grandchildren, Anisa Blake Kierczynski, Jeffery Blake, Melissa Blake Simpson, Thomas Oester, Christopher Oester, Tina Whelchel Howell, Chad Whelchel, Cory Zimmerly, Angie Zimmerly Mills, Dwayne Zimmerly and Nicole Zimmerly Landrus; and 18 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her parents, and one brother, Robert Clayton. She had been employed as a secretary at the State Farm Insurance office in Amboy for 21‘ years prior to her retirement in 1993. She was a member of St. Patrick Catholic Church in Amboy. She served on the board of directors of Pankhurst Memorial Library for 15 years, eight as board secretary. She spent three years with the Grandparents Program at Amboy Central School.
Amboy News Janaury 2004

DAVID LOUIS HEAGY ,59, 317 Galena passed away at 7:35 p.m. Saturday evening at the KSB Hospital where he was taken Thursday afternoon suffering a stroke while working on a road project near Amboy. He was the contractor. Funeral services conducted by the Rev. Joseph C. Mason rector of St. Lukes Episcopal church will be held at the Staples funeral home at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. Burial will be at Oakwood Cemetery. He was born Sept 12, 1884 at Fairfield, Adams Co PA. the son of William & Loretta Heagy. He came to Illinois 43 years ago and had lived in Dixon most of that time. He was married Sep 6, 1901 to Olive Grimes of Dixon. He was a bridge and road contractor. Survivors include the widow, a son Sidney of Dixon, four brothers, two sisters and a grandchild.
Dixon Telegraph 22 May 1944

RICHARD LOUIS HEAGY - Funeral services for Ellis Hazelwood, 41, 217 Eels Ave., who passed away Wednesday night (16 January 1964) in Hines Veteran's Hospital, will be conducted at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Chapel Hill Funeral Home. Burial will be in Chapel Hill Cemetery, and friends may call after 7 p.m. in the funeral home. Included among his survivors are his widow, Hope; a daughter, Becky; and a son, Curtis, both at home; two sisters, Mrs. Jennie Nehring, Dixon, and Mrs. Ella Snoke, Coleta; and four brothers, Charles, Harley, Robert and Edward, and his father, Harry Hazelwood, all of Dixon.
Contributed by Melva L. Taylor - The Daily Gazette, Sterling-Rock Falls, Illinois January 17, 1964 - Friday, pg 6

MARY (LONERGRAN) HEEG 73, died at 10 a.m. Friday (9 July 1948) at St. Francis Hospital, Freeport following an illness of 2 years duration. Services will be Monday at the Jones Funeral Home 9 a.m. and at 9;30 a.m. at the St. Patricks Catholic Church, Rev. T.L. Walsh officiating, burial in Oakwood Cemetery. Mrs. Heeg was born in Polo Oct. 31, 1874. She is survived by one daughter, Rosemary, one sister Margaret Lynch, Chicago and a number of neices and nephews.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 10 July 1948

CARL FRANCIS HEGERT , 78, passed away at 11:30 o'clock Saturday morning (November 24, 1945) at the Amboy public hospital, where he had been a patient for a week. Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at the Mihm funeral home and at 9 am at St. Patricks Catholic church with burial in St. Patricks Cemetery. Mr. Hegert was born in Amboy Feb. 28, 1867 the son of Charles and Hannah Hegert and is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Helen Johnson of Amboy, with who he made his home, and Mrs. Elizabeth Stanley of Milwaukee Wisc., four grandchildren, neices and nephes, a brother Rudolph of Hardington Neb., and five sisters, Mrs. Hattie Hulbert of Stanley Colo., Mrs. Sarah Hulbert of Oakland Nebr., Mrs. Ida Myers of Florida, and twin sisters, Mrs. Florence MacGregor of Denver and Mrs. Francis Tichnor of Clay City. His wife and two brothers preceded him in death.
Dixon Evening Telegraph November 26, 1945

EMMA (ORTGIESEN) HEID , 74, passed away at her home, 321 Hennepin avenue Sunday at 12:15 p.m. following a long illness. She was born in South Dixon Township and had been a resident of this city vicinity her entire life. Surviving are five sisters, Mrs. Charles Barton and Miss Katherine Ortgiesen of Dixon, Mrs. Margaret Agnew of Agnew Ill., Miss Tina Ortgiesen of Oak Park, Mrs. Val Will of Chicago and five brothers, Frank Ortgiesen of Dixon, Edward Ortgiesen of Nelson, Charles and George Ortgiesen of Milwaukee Wisc., and Harry Ortgiesen of Long Beach Calif. Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Jones Funeral Home, 2:30 at St. John's Lutheran Church, the pastor J.W. Curran Officiating. Interment in Oakwood Cemetery.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 13 August 1945

Police Find Body of Ira Heldt, 41, Vanished Tuesday
Dixon police dragging Rock River today found the body of Ira Heldt who had resided with his mother and two brothers on a farm near Harmon. An identification card in a wallet found on the mans body bore the name of the deceased. Heldt apparently jumped into the river from the Galena avenue bridge sometime yesterday morning. He was found at about noon today when he came to the surface during dragging operations. Dixon police officers A.R. Wilson and G.D. Camery found the body near the bridge north of the river's midpoint. It apparently came to the surface when the searchers cut various "outlines" which had become entangled with the dragging equipment. Searchers included members of the police department and rural and city fire departments. Dixon police chief Frank Tyne had been conducting a search for Heldt since he had been reported missing at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday by his brother Frank. Dragging operations were started at 9:30 a.m. today when a note written by the deceased was found by Greyhound depot bus agent Jack Liston at 9:15 a.m. Liston found the note in the left pocket of a jacket discovered yesterday morning on the Galena avenue bridge by a Rockford bus passenger who turned it into the depot. George Kaufman, bus agent, accepted the jacket yesterday without paying any attention to the note which wsa written on the inside of an envelope addressed to Frank Heldt. It was not known to be a suicide note until Dixon police inquired at the depot whether or not a man of Heldts discription was seen there. Liston recalled a note at the mention of Heldts name. Dixon police found the note to be the last known message of the deceased. "Whoever finds this please notify my mother and brothers. My name is Ira Heldt, Harmon, Ill. I can't stand the pain any longer. Notify police that I jumped." According to Chief Tyne the victim was reported missing after he failed to return from a visit to the Physician. Heldt had been suffering during the last 12 years from a stomach ailment and lately from rheumatism. He hadn't been able to work since April. The victim, his brother and mother, Mrs. Nelle Heldt, 82, came to Dixon at approximately 10 a.m. Tuesday Frank and his mother parked at First Street and Galena Ave to await Ira.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 22 July 1953

Funeral services for Ira Heldt 41, were held Friday at Harmon Methodist church with the Rev. J. Frank Anderson officiating. Burial in Nelson Cemetery. Heldt drowned in the Rock River Tuesday. He was born in Harmon July 30, 1911. Survivors are his mother Nellie, three brothers, Edward, Frank and Albert all of Harmon. He was preceded by his father, three sisters and two brothers.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 23 July 1953

HARRISON HELMERSHAUSEN - Early Resident of County Dead at Franklin Grove - Harrison Hausen, who has been a resident of Lee County since the fall of 1838, died at his home in Franklin Grove at an early hour Tuesday morning. His last illness dates only from Sunday, but his advanced age of 87 years made recovery impossible. Mr. Hausen was born in Bremen, Maine, April 13, 1818. He grew to manhood in his native county of Lincoln and in Penobscott county, Maine, and with his brother William H., he set out for Lee county, Illinois, September 4,1838. He made the trip from the Eastside of Michigan to the Rock River on foot, arriving here in October and settling in China Township. He was twice married, the last being in Dixon to Miss Nancy Wilder, who survives him. He also leaves three children, Fred H of Franklin Grove, Hal and Mrs. Thos. J Wertman in Iowa. Three brothers and one sister also survive, he being the second child in a family of eleven children. The funeral services will be conducted Thursday afternoon
Contributed by Georgea Clinton (04-26-1905 Dixon Republican p4:5)

HENRY C. HELMERSHAUSEN , died March 20, 1869. The principal features we glean from his funeral sermon, preached in Franklin Grove on Sunday last by Rev T J Carney, to the largest concourse of people ever assembled in that place. Mr. Helmershausen was born in the town of Bremen in the State of Maine, August 12, 1779, and died in his eightieth year early in the morning on March 20, 1869. Mr. Helmershausen came to this state in 1840, and for nearly thirty years he had been a resident of Franklin Grove. At the age of 23 he served a short time in the war in defense of his native state. During the greater part of his life, however, he was a decided anti-war man, firmly believing that war was opposed to the spirit and teachings of Christianity. He was not only a temperance man but an ultra prohibitionist. His example in regard to this monstrous evil is a noble exhibition of firmness to a deep conviction, reared as he was at a time and among a people who used the intoxicating cup as a social treat, and church-members, deacons and ministers were addicted to its use. The deceased was a religious man. Not perhaps, as some understand that term, but in its true and proper sense, for he loved God and ever adored Him for His goodness and mercy. He loved the bible, the word of God and read it much; for it was his guide to all moral and religious truth. When asked how he felt in regard to his approaching dissolution, his reply was "like one going home. I am going to my Heavenly Father."
Contributed by Georgea Clinton

HENRY CHARLES FREDERICK HELMERSHAUSEN - Death Claimed aged Franklin Grove Man at His Home Friday - Masonic Funeral Sunday P.M. - He Came to Lee County in 1840 and Has Voted 73 Times - Charles Helmershausen, or as he was better known, Charles Hausen, a pioneer settler of Franklin Grove, passed away at his home there Friday evening, May 5th at 9:30 o'clock, aged over ninety four years. Henry Charles Frederick Helmershausen was born April 19th, 1822 in Bristol, Maine. He came to Lee County in 1840, voting 73 times in Franklin Grove. He leaves six children, a widow, and six grandchildren. The children are Frank of Arkansas; Chase and Floyd of Idaho; Henry, a teacher in Chicago; Miss Adella, who teaches in Chicago; and Miss Alice who teaches near Franklin Grove.
Contributed by Georgea Clinton (05-06-1916 Dixon Telegraph p1:4)

JANE MARY (HILTON) HELMERSHAUSEN - On Wednesday of this week Grandmother Helmershausen closed her journey of life. She would have entered her ninetieth year had she lived until the 21st of next March. Her death was not the result of a convulsion of nature, but like the old clock, worn out by the hand of time, the pinions worn from the wheels and the weight run down, the propelling power exhausted the pendulum ceases to vibrate and all is over. She died sitting in her old arm chair in her cottage near the creek, in the same locality where she with her husband settled nearly forty years ago. Her husband, died some ten years ago, and yesterday her remains were conveyed to the cemetery and laid by his side, followed by her children, grand, and great-grandchildren and a large concourse of sympathizing friends. Fifty-three years elapsed from her marriage to her husband's death, during which time she became the mother of eleven children., eight of them still living and all of them in this immediate vicinity. A very impressive funeral discourse was preached by Rev. Tabor from Isaiah 64th chapter, 4th verse.
Contributed by Georgea Clinton (Franklin Grove Reporter, Dec. 1878. Lee county, Illinois)

MARY JANE HELMERSHAUSEN a twin sister of Charles Hausen, of Franklin Grove, was killed Saturday afternoon by being struck with the engine of the two-thirty afternoon passenger train going east. She was returning to her own home from the house of her brother, Harrison, and when crossing the railroad tracks about twenty rods from her home, she was struck and instantly killed. The crossing where she was killed is about one mile west of the Franklin depot and a few rods west of the Franklin creek. She was carrying a basket and several bundles at the time and it is presumed that the train came so suddenly upon her that she was frightened and bewildered and did not understand which of the two tracks the cars were coming on until too late to save herself. The lady was aged about sixty-eight years and had resided in Franklin Grove since childhood. She was killed instantly and then thrown from the track and therefore not much mangled.
Contributed by Georgea Clinton (04-18-1892 Dixon Telegraph p1:2)

NORMAN M. HELMERSHAUSEN - A Well Known Resident of Franklin Grove - Dies, Ages 77 Years - Pioneer of China Township Came Here in 1840 - And Grew up With the Country - Died Early Today Norman Hausen, one of the aged and highly esteemed citizens of Franklin Grove, died (11-21-1908) about 6 o'clock this morning. He had been ill for a long time with creeping paralysis and his death was not unexpected. His brothers and sisters are all over 80 years of age and he comes from a long-lived family.
Contributed by Georgea Clinton (12-14-1908 Dixon Telegraph Saturday p1:3)

SYLVANUS COBB HELMERSHAUSEN - Another Lee County Pioneer Died - S C Hausen, Franklin Grove, came here in the year 1840. He was one of the wealthy and respected pioneer residents of China Township whose farm is close to Franklin Grove. He died Wednesday afternoon at 5 o'clock, aged 86 years. His death was the outcome of an accident which occurred September 1 of last year, when he fell and broke his hip and has been confined to his bed ever since. He is survived by a brother, Charles Hausen, who is 89 years of age. It is expected that the funeral will be conducted Friday afternoon from the home. Mr Hausen married in 1859 to Miss Sabina Fellows in Belvidere, who with one son and four daugters survive him - C V Hausen, Mrs Ida Moulton, Mrs S D Remley, Mrs G W Brown of Franklin Grove, Mrs L J Townsend of Charles City, Ia. Funeral services were held from the home late Saturday afternoon at 1 o'clock and from the Presbyterian church at 2. Interment was made in the local cemetery.
Contributed by Georgea Clinton (01-18-1912 Dixon Republican Thursday)

WILLIAM HENRY HELMERSHAUSEN , an old and much respected resident of Lee County died very suddenly Thursday night at his home a mile west of Franklin Grove. He was 83 years old at the time of his death and was born in Bremen, Lincoln County, Maine. In 1840 he came west with his parents and their family and settled in China township, this county, which has always been his home. By his industry and good management he became one of the substantial farmers of the county and leaves a comfortable estate. In his later years he devoted a good deal of his attention to his fruit raising and fine poultry, of which he was quite a rancher. Mr. Hausen was married twice. His second wife survives him. He leaves no children but three brothers; Sylvanus C., Harrison, and Charles Hausen, and a sister Mrs. Townsend, all of Franklin Grove. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Mr. Hausen was a Mason and the Masonic order of Dixon and other lodges of the county will attend the service.
Contributed by Georgea Clinton (12-07-1901 - Dixon Republican p4:4)

LAWRENCE W. HENDRICKS , was born Feb 22, 1899 at Milledgeville, and passed away suddenly, Aug. 17, 1944 at his late home in Dixon. Funeral services were held Saturday, August 20, at his late home, 807 College avenue, conducted by the Rev. C. L ym. Wagner, pastor of Immanuel Lutheran church. Burial was in Oakwood cemetery. Mr. Hendricks came to Dixon 25 years ago where he was in business as a mechanic and later a welder, in which he made many friends. In 1924 he was united in marriage to Mary Blackburn. To this union three chilren were born. He is survived by his widow, Margaret, and the three children; Mildred, William and Darlene at home, his father, Hugo Hendricks of Dixon, his mother, Mrs Charles Hagerman of Sterling, two brothers, Elmer of Chicago, Wilfred of Sterling and a sister, Louise of Villa Park, IL.

***Card of Thanks:
We wish to thank relatives, friends and neighbors for beautiful flowers, and use of cars, and other kind expressions of sympathy , after the death of our beloved husband and father. Mrs. Margaret Hendricks and children..
Dixon Telegraph 28 Aug 1944

REUBEN E. HERBERT well known local businessman, died suddenly Saturday afternoon, the victim of a heart attack. He dropped dead in a Rochelle store shortly after finishing work at the California Packing company. Mr. Herbert had been previously ill, but had recovered sufficiently to return to his work. Reuben E. Herbert, the son of the Rev. Valentine and barbara White Herbert was born at Ophir, Illinois January 31, 1880, He was reared in Mendota and educated in the public school in that city. On February 7, 1901 he was united in marriage to Florence Taylor of Mendota. To them was born three children, Harold, Viola and Raymond. For the past 16 years he has been in business in Ashton, where he operated a restaurant. He was a member of the Ashton Methodist Episcopal church. He was preceded in death several years ago by his father and mother and one brother, three years old. He is survived by his widow and three children; Harold of Ashton, Raymond of Dixon and Mrs. Wraye Farver of Ashton; three grandsons, Earl, Robert and Donald farver; two aunts, Mrs. Henry Felk and Mrs. Charles Becket of Mendota; two uncles, Andrew Herbert and Theodore Herbet also ofMendota, besides several distant relatives and a host of friends. Services were held Tuesday at the home with Rev. Louis E. Winter, pastor of the Ashton Methodist church officiating. Burial in Ashton Cemetery. The business houses were closed during the hour of the funeral service.
Contributed by Pat France

SHIRLEY (BUTLER) HERRON , 48, 713 12th Ave., Sterling died Monday morning in Rockford. Friends may call at the Grennan Funeral Home from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday with the Rev. J. Randall Brown of the Broadway Methodist Church officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery in Dixon. Mrs. Herron was born Sept. 11, 1926 in Dixon, the daughter of Wilbur and Gladys Anderson Butler. Survivors include her parents; one daughter, Wendy of Johnstown, Pa.; two sons, Chris and Tom at home; and one sister, Mrs. John McCormick of Indianapolis, Ind. She was preceded by her husband John on Dec. 5, 1970
Gazette 23 Jun 1975

HERMAN HERWIG , 74, retired Ashton farmer died at 1 a.m. Thursday (December 30, 1948) at KSB hospital in Dixon. Born Oct. 12, 1874 in Franklin Grove, the son on Mathias & Elizabeth (Schinzer) Herwig. He was married to Miss Anna Ventler of Bradford Twp. Dec 12, 1895. Surviving are the widow, two sons; Roy, Ashton and Lee C. Herwig, Texas and a sister Mrs. Emma Colby of Dysart Iowa. Services are incomplete, but will be held at St. John's Lutheran Church, Ashton with the Rev. F.W. Henke pastor, officiating. Burial will be in the Ashton Cemetery. The body is now at Cluts funeral home.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 30 December 1948

ALEXANDER HESS - Yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock, as briefly mentioned yesterday in The Telegraph, occurred the death of Alexander Hess at the home of his parents on Cedar street. His sister Florence, passed away just one and one-half years ago to the day. He was 18 years old, his birthday being January 29th, and the place of his nativity, Palmyra. He came to Dixon with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Emanuel Hess about four years ago. The young man was an employee at the Watson-Plummer shoe factory and was liked by all that knew him. He was a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, and also of the Y.M.C.A., and of Boot and Shoe Workers Union No. 265. He was industrious and kind-hearted and leaves many friends to regret his untimely death. The illness which carried him away was typhoid pneumonia, his sickness lasting but ten days. He was the eldest of five children, the surviving ones being in order of their ages, Sylvester, Annie, Minnie, Harry and Carrie. The funeral services will be held at the house at No. 30, Cedar street Thursday at 1 p.m. and St. Paul's Lutheran Church at 1:30 o'clock, conducted by his pastor, Rev. T.F. Dornblaser. The body will be taken to the Palmyra cemetery for interment.
Contributed by Tom Hess

CAROLINE (TROUTH) HESS ,died at the Dixon hospital this morning at 6 o'clock, death resulting from an operation which was performed two weeks ago and which was followed by complications. The funeral services will be held at her home in Loveland Place on Monday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, and at 2:30 o'clock at the Palmyra church. She was a member of the Lutheran church. Rev. T. F. Dornblaser of Chicago will officiate. Interment will be made in the Palmyra cemetery. The deceased had always been a resident of this vicinity, having been born in Jordan township, Whiteside County, March 29, 1856, (Headstone says 1859) and is well known to many friends who will mourn her death. She leaves five children, Anna, Minnie, Carrie, Sylvester and Harry, all at home, and four brothers and two sisters, Geo. Trouth of Dixon, John Trouth of Perry, Ia., Jacob and Fred Trouth of Dixon and Mrs. Dan Shuck and Dan Knapp of DIxon.
Contributed by Tom Hess from the Dixon Telegraph Monday, July 9, 1907..
**Death Certificate and Headstone give the date of death as July 6th, 1907 - she was buried on Monday July 8th.

EPHRAIM P. HESS ,son of Michael and Mary Magdalena Hess, was born in Lancaster, Pa., June 8, 1861 and passed away in his home in Dixon, Ill., Friday morning, February 24th, 1928, aged 66 years, 8 months and 16 days. For about a year he had suffered from a complication of diseases which eventually caused his death. Forty-four years ago last Friday, the day of his death, Mr. Hess was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Warfel, at Lancaster, Pa. To that union eight children were born, two daughters having preceded the father in death. The following survive; his widow, two daughters, Mrs. Arthur Freeman of Chicago, Mrs. Myrtle Howe of Aurora; four sons, Charles of Aurora, Ephraim Jr. of Omaha, Neb., Carl and Lee of Dixon; five brothers and two sisters. The funeral services was conducted at the home, 236 W. Everett St. Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock, with Pastor S.B. Quincer of the Bethel church in charge. Burial was made in Oakwood cemetery.
Contributed by Tom Hess

HARRY L. HESS ,76, 500 Third Avenue, died at 7:40 p.m. Tuesday, at KSB Hospital following a short illness. He was born August 17, 1894 in Penrose, Illinios, the son of Emanuel and Carrie Trouth Hess. He was married December 23, 1916 to Vernie Habernick in Rockford, Illinios. Mr. Hess was a custodian of the Lee County Courthouse 20 years before his retirement. Survivors include his widow, two daughters, Mrs. Harold (Dorothy) Huyett and Mrs. Lester (Evelyn) Farster, both of Dixon, two sisters, Mrs. Ann Scott, Dixon and Mrs. Stacey King, Newhall, California, one brother, Wes, Beloit, Wisconsin, three grandchildren and three great-grandhildren. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m., Thursday in the Preston Funeral Home with the Rev. LeRoy Weibe, visiting pastor at St. Paul's Lutheran Church officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery. There will be no visitation.
Contributed by Tom Hess

HENRY HOAK HESS - was born in Lancaster county, Pa., on January 14, 1860 and passed away Friday evening, March 11, 1932, at the age of 72 years, one moth and 26 days. Although he had been in failing health for some time his passing was a sudden shock to his many friends. He leaves to mourn his passing his widow, two daughters, Mrs. Clara Vickery at home and Mrs. Mary Hank of South Dixon, one brother, John of Sterling, two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Watson of Milledgeville, Pa., and Mrs. Fannie Benge of Hockenssen, Del., and one granddaughter, Lois Lucille Hank. He was a Spanish War veteran belonging to Captain Phillip McGrath's Company G of the Sixth regiment of Infantry, Illinois volunteers. He was of a quiet disposition, but a kind father and a good homemaker. There is a vacant place at the table now, That will never again be filled. For gone is he with his bright smile, And his pulse is forever stilled. There's a new made grave where flowers grow, And the grass waves in the spring. The winds will play on his silent tomb, While the birds will warble and sing. Let us not regret that he's gone to rest, That his sorrow's now are over. That he joined the loved and the blessed, And those dear to us who have gone before. Dear friend, we all loved you, but could not keep. Death's icy cold hand from the door, It has taken you from us to peacefully sleep. Your children, cease weeping, he is not dead, But only gone on before. The day will come when we shall meet, My Great White Throne on the other shore.
Contributed by Tom Hess

Milton R. HESS , was born in Lancaster Co., Pa., Aug. 17, 1881; passed away at the Dixon, Ill., Hospital after a short illness, March 7, 1948; aged 66y 6m 20d. Death resulted from a heart ailment. In 1903 he united with the Science Ridge Mennonite Church, Sterling, Ill., where he remained a member until death. He took a deep interest in spiritual things and was much concerned for the welfare of the church. He was a student of the Word and an able Sunday-school teacher. In 1907 he was united in marriage to Katherine Nunemaker, of the Science congregation. Surviving are his wife, 12 children; Grace - Mrs.William Mundt, Esther, Orville, Mildred - Mrs. Robert Hoak, Velma - Mrs. Ralph Schafer, Raymond, Mary - Mrs. C. B. Moran, Harold, Gladys - Mrs. Rex Lindsay, Wayne, Glen, and Mervin, 13 grandchildren, and one sister; Mrs. Ed Barton, Columbia, Pa. His parents and one sister predeceased. Funeral services were held March 10 at the Science Ridge Church, in charge of A. C. Good, assisted by Romaine Tunney. Text: Matt. 25:21. His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Matthew25:22
Contributed by Fred Hess Gospel Herald - Volume XLI, Number 15 - April 13, 1948, page359

ROBERT L. HESS , 56, well-known Dixon businessman, 696 East Morgan St. died Tuesday morning in Rockford Memorial Hospital. At the time of his death he was employed by the Illinois State Liquor Control Board. He was an owner and partner in Hess Distributing Co., in Dixon for over 25 years with his late father and two brothers. He was born August 11, 1925 in Dixon, the son of Lee Walter and Wilma (Stainbrook) Hess. He was united in marriage to Bobbie N. Bicknell on Feb 9, 1946, in Dixon, where they spent their entire life. He attended local schools and served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force during World War II and also flew a full tour of combat in the Korean conflict. He was a member of St. Anne's Catholic Church, a former member of of Dixon Elks Club, Dixon Gyro Club, Dixon American Legion Post 42, Dixon Amvets, VFW Post 540 and the Civil Air Patrol Board until his recent illness. He was preceded in death by his father, Lee W. Hess on April 22, 1963. He is survived by his widow, Bobbie, his mother Mrs. Wilma Hess of Dixon, two daughters, Mrs. Mark (Connie) Spangler of Rock Falls, Miss Lee Ann Hess at home, two sons, Alan L. Hess of Cincinnati,Ohio, and Michael R. Hess of Dixon, one grandson, Thomas Lee Hess of Dixon, two brothers, Richard and Donald Hess, both of Dixon; and several nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, and cousins. The funeral will be Saturday morning with a prayer service at 9:30 a.m. at Allen-Buckley-Shank Funeral Home followed by 10 a.m. Mass of the Resurrection at St. Anne's Catholic Church with the Rev. Michael McKinstra, pastro, officiating. Burial will be in the Oakwood Cemetery. Visitation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Friday at the Funeral Home with a scripture service at 8 p.m. Military rites will be conducted at the graveside and a memorial fund has been established.
Contributed by Tom Hess

JOHN PHILIP HEY - The funeral of John Hey, 88, who passed away at 4 p.m. Friday at the home of his daughter Mrs. Mary Harshman 1402 1st ave. after an illness of 4 months will be held at 2:30 Monday at the Melvin Funeral home. The Rev. John Bouldin pastor of Trinity Evangelical church will officiate and burial will be in Prairieville Cemetery with members of the Sterling I O O F in charge of the grave service. Mr. Hey was born Feb. 11, 1856 at Poughkeepsie NY. His parents Jacob and Clementine Hey brought him to Sterling when he was less than one year old. He became a farmer and then was engaged in manufacturing and later still in contracting in this city and vicinity. In Feb. 1878 Mr. Hey married Mary Baer who preceded him in February 1921. Later he married Mrs. Laura Kagay Judkins at Effingham. She died in California in 1928. Since 1929 Mr. Hey made his home with a daughter Mrs. Mary Harshman, 1402 1st Ave. He is also survived by another daughter Mrs. Gerna Harshman who lives in Sterling and Henry of Dixon. A son Ira preceded him in death in 1922.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 3 February 1945

EDWARD HIKE , 83, passed away at his home in Amboy Wednesday morning November 17,1937 after an illness of three weeks. He is survived by four sons, Henry of Rockford, Otto of Nebraska. William of Rutland, and George of Amboy, Mr Hike was born May 2, 1854 in Possen, Germany, Arrangements for funeral services are incomplete, pending the arrival of relatives but will be held Friday or Saturday at Vaughan's Chapel, Burial will be in the Prairie Repose Cemetery.

2nd Notice: Funeral services were held Friday afternoon at the Vaughan chapel for the late Edward Hike who Passed away Wednesday morning of last week. Reverend C.L. Wagner, pastor of Immanuel Lutheran church officiated.Casket bearers were Matt Liston, Jack Harris, Marvin Hubbel, Joe Wittenauer, Bert Eddy. Jack Woods. Interment was in the Prairie Repose cemetery.
Contributed by JoAnn Kroeger

MINNIE (REINKE) HIKE , was born in Germany Dec. 14, 1860, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs Elbert Reinke, and passed away at Amboy hospital Thursday morning, July 22, 1943. at the age of 82 years. She came to America with her parents at the age of 18, the family settling in the vicinity of Flanagan, Illinois she was married to Edward Hike in 1880. she is survived by four sons, Henry of Rockford, Otto of Omaha,Nebraska William of Denison Iowa, and George of Amboy. Her Parents, husband and one brother, Otto preceded her in death.

2nd Notice: Final rites for Mrs. Minnie Hike of Amboy were conducted Sunday afternoon at the Mihm funeral Home, Rev Adam Baum, pastor of the Baptist Church officiating. Vocal selections were sun by Miss Ruth Demarest, accompanied by Miss Dorothy Flessner. Interment was in Prairie Repose cemetery and the casket bearers were James Morrissey, Joe Wittenauer, Jack Harris, Roy Seloover, Robert Thresher and Lloyd Johnson.
Contributed by JoAnn Kroeger

DOUGLAS C. HOBBS , 59, of Amboy died Nov. 8, 2004 at Mendota Community Hospital. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 12 at the Mihm-Jones Funeral Home, Amboy with Rev. Frank Brozenec, pastor of the East Grove Union Church, officiating. Burial will follow at Prairie Repose Cemetery in Amboy with military graveside rites by the Amboy American Legion. Visitation will be held from 2-4 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 11 at the funeral home. Mr. Hobbs was born June 9, 1945 in Amboy to Wilford and Pauline (Reynolds) Hobbs. He married Connie Clark in Sublette on Aug. 10, 1968.
Survivors include his wife of Amboy; a son, Dee (Vinetta) Hobbs of Yorkville; a daughter, Linda Dunne of Amboy; six grandchildren; two brothers, Walter Hobbs of Princeton and Roy Dean (Shirley) Hobbs of Sublette; and a sister, Mary "Rosie" Stevens of Amboy. He was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers, Ronald and William Hobbs. Mr. Hobbs was employed by Motor Wheel in Mendota for 27 years. He was a member of the Green River Saddle Club and the Amboy Clipper Backers.

ELLA F. HOBBS - Services for Mrs. Ella F. Hobbs, 67, Dixon, who died Friday, (26 March 1954) will be Monday at 2 p.m. in Chapel Hill Funeral Home with the Rev. Sidney Bloomquist officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood cemetery. Mrs. Hobbs was born June 10, 1887 in Linderwood. She married Harry Hobbs in Ashton on June 20, 1906. Serviving are her husband, three sons, Frank, George and Wilbur all of Dixon; two brothers, Fred Schumaker, Sterling, and two sisters, Mrs. Annie Ever, and Mrs. Emma Baker, both of Dixon.
Contributed by Margaret Mangers from the Mar 27, 1954 Sterling Gazette

WILLIAM F. HOBBS , 61, of Amboy died April 5, 2004 at Swedish American Hospital in Rockford. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Thursday, April 8 at the Mihm-Jones Funeral Home, Amboy with Rev. Frank Brozenec, pastor of the East Grove Union Church officiating. Burial will be at Prairie Repose Cemetery, Amboy. Visitation will be from 2-4 p.m. and from 6-8 p.m. on Wednesday, April 7 at the funeral home. Mr. Hobbs was born Sept. 19, 1942 in Amboy to Wilfred and Pauline (Reynolds) Hobbs. He married Judy Groth on June 12, 1965 at the Amboy United Methodist Church. Survivors include his wife; one son, Todd (Krista) Hobbs of Amboy; one granddaughter; three brothers, Walter and Douglas (Connie), both of Amboy and Roy Dean (Shirley) of Sublette; and one sister, Mary "Rosy" Stevens of Amboy. He was preceded in death by one brother, Ronald Hobbs. Mr. Hobbs had been employed as a formulator at Amboy Specialty Foods in Dixon for 27 years.

DAVID HOLDREN , died Wednesday (7 August 1889) about 5:30 p.m. Mr. Holdren has been in poor health for several years, the result of exposure in the army. During the past year his trouble assumed a more alarming character, and he has been gradually sinking for the past three or six months, though he has been confined to his bed but a small portion of that time. The funeral will be held at the church in Malugin Saturday, today; friends will meet at the house at 10 a.m. Rev. R. H. Shaftoe will preach the funeral sermon and the remains will be buried in the Malugin Cemetery. Mr. Holdren was born in Pennsylvania sixty-two years ago. He learned the carpenter trade and moved to Illinois before the war. He lived in Rockford a short time and then returned to his native state. During the early years of the war, he came to Malugins Grove, where he enlisted in the Union Army, and remained till the end of the war. While in the service he was attacked with erysipelas which left a poison in is blood which finally destroyed his life. He was a worthy member of Brooklyn Lodge 280 A. F. and A. M., who will bury him with their rites. He was a first-class farmer, a good citizen, an indulgent father, and his loss will be deeply felt, not only by a large circle of relatives but by the whole community. The family have the sympathy of all in their affliction.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler
Lucretia McCoy Holdren wife of David Holdren is listed as being buried in the Brooklyn Lutheran Cemetery

ELMER HOLTON , died at his home in Ottawa, on the evening of October 18, 1900, after an illness lasting about two weeks. His complaint was dysentery and the physicians in charge of his case were unable to ward off the disease. He was a great sufferer during his short sickness and when death came, he had fallen away to almost a skeleton. He was born on the 10th of August, 1864, in Willow Creek township, Illinois and for the greater part of his boyhood lived on the farm in that town. His parents were Edward and Mrs. Holton. The father died about five years ago in Ottawa and was buried here. Mrs. Holton is still living and resides in the town where Elmer died. Elmer was united in marriage to Miss Ida Morris, of this place, on the 4th of January, 1888, and afterwards lived here in Paw Paw for a year or two where he and his father conducted a store. They moved to Ottawa in 1889 and since then have been residents of that city. The deceased leaves besides his wife, two boys aged 9 and 7 years, his mother and a large number of other relatives to mourn his death. The body arrived here from Ottawa Saturday evening in charge of Mr. Wm. Tossick, a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, who had been appointed for that duty by the lodge at Ottawa, of which the deceased was a member. Mr. Holton became a Woodman some eight years ago and at his death held a policy for $2,000. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon in the Methodist church, Rev. W. B. Slaughter officiating. The local lodge of Woodmen had charge of the services at the grave in the Frantz Grove cemetery. The funeral was attended by members of the order from here and from Compton to the number of 86.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler

Funeral services for Edward Hooker the former chief of the Dixon Fire Department, who passed away at noon yesterday at the KSB Hospital, will be held from the Jones Funeral Home Friday morning at 10:30. Rev. Fr. Walter Roberts of St. Patricks Catholic Church officiating. Interment will be at Oakwood. The deceased was born in Malta IL. April 24, 1877 the son of James C. & Julia Hooker. He is survived by his wife and two daughters; Mrs. Donald Rosencrans and Mrs. William Cooper all of Dixon.
Dixon Telegraph October 17, 1946

OLIVER S. HOOVER , a resident of this vicinity for a number of years was found dead at his home, 124 W. Graham street Sunday afternoon when Sheriff L.E. Bates was summoned and broke into the house. Hoover apparently had fallen down a flight of stairs sustaining injuries which caused his death. The body was taken to the Melvin funeral home where an inquest was conducted at 10 o'clock this morning, the jury finding that death resulted from injuries sustained in the fall. The victim of the accident was born in Franklin county, Pa. August 24, 1882. He is survived by two sons Joe of Dixon and Herbert of Portland Ore; four grandchildren; three brothers, Frank of North Hollywood Calif,. Ben of Polo, and Rush of Pennsylvania; and one sister Mrs. Clarence Lindsey of Milledgeville. Funeral services will be conducted from the Melvin funeral home Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 Rev. George J. Curran pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran church officiating and interment will be in Chapel Hill Memorial Park.
Dixon Evening Telegraph Oct 21, 1946

EDGAR L. HOPPS , who had been at the Watertown State Hospital for some time died there Monday morning of epilepsy. The body was shipped home for burial. The funeral was held yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon at 2:30 at the late home, Rev. Wimmer officiating and burial was in Ellsworth cemetery. Following is the obituary: EDGAR L. HOPPS was born March 7, 1857 and died July 31, 1916, age 58 years, 4 months, 24 days. He was born in this County and lived with his uncle, David Smith, who resides two and one-half miles north of Paw Paw. On the twenty-fourth day of December 1870 he was united in marriage to Eunice Elizabeth Nelson, who died April 20, 1915. To this union were born eleven children, eight girls and three boys. Two of the boys have passed away. The rest of the children survive their parents. Four of the girls are married. Mrs. T. L. Manion lives in Texarkana, Texas; Mrs. A. L. Hackman lives in Genoa, Ill.; Mrs. Cover lives near the old home and Mrs. Cook lives with her uncle, Mr. David Smith. The other girls are living with their brother on the old home farm.
--Submitted by Marilyn Widler

EUNICE (NELSON) HOPPS , was born in Sandusky county, Ohio, Dec. 24, 1862. She was the sixth child of a large family. When but a young girl the family came West settling in Kansas, but afterward came to this community when Eunice was about thirteen, locating at Twin Grove. On her seventeenth birthday, being Dec. 24, 1879, she was married to Edgar Hopps and began married life on the farm two miles north of Paw Paw, where she lived and labored until about two years ago when she with part of her family came to live with and keep house for Mr. Hopps' uncle, David Smith. Mrs. Hopps was mother to eleven children, nine of whom survive her, two having preceded her in death. She was one who knew the full meaning of toil. From the birth of her first child until the day of her death she always had the care of children on her mind, she being a mother to so large a family, and that taxed her strength to its full capacity. She was energetic and ambitious to succeed financially and to bring up her children aright. No one but a mother can know the anxiety that the care of children has upon the soul. And no one but the mother of a large family knows the terrible wear of that anxiety upon one's strength. The illness of her husband, the loss of a boy by an accident, the toils of body and of mind, together with her own ever weakening strength made her pathway anything but a pleasant one. And yet withal she was a woman of a cheerful and buoyant disposition a sunny and an intelligent conversationalist. Her severely taxed health broke about a year ago and until the day of her demise all that medical and surgical skill could do for her was done. She fought bravely to regain strength but the battle was against her; and when the end came, it came very fast. She passed into her well-earned eternal rest on Tuesday morning, April 20, 1915 being 52 years, 3 months and 26 days of age. She leaves in sorrow her husband, Edgar Hopps. Nine also mourn the loss of a good mother: Mrs. Thos. Manion of Texarkana, Tex., Mrs. Arthur Hackman, Mrs. Whit Cover, Mrs. Mont Cook, Mildred, Eulala, Ruth and Maxine of Paw Paw; and one son, Bernard, also of this place. Four brothers survive her, Cyrus Nelson of Nelson, Mont., Henry of Floyd, Iowa; Hiram of Aurora, Ill., and Will of Aurora. She was grandmother to six surviving grandchildren. In the home of Uncle David Smith she spent the remnant of her strength to make him comfortable and happy. In the care of her household she was a faithful mother and wife, and the children will ever bless her sacred memory. And now let the recording angel write it down--"She hath done what she could." The funeral was held Thursday afternoon at the David Smith home, Rev. O. T. Canfield officiating; burial was in Ellsworth cemetery.
--Submitted by Marilyn Widler

MARY HOPPS , the daughter of Martha Smith and Wm. Hopps, was born March 17th, 1844 in Wheeling, Cook county, Ill. where she lived until 1864 when she came to make her home at her uncle David Smith's near Paw Paw, Ill. Here she continued to reside and keep house for her uncle until her death, which occurred September 28, 1901. She was one of thirteen children all of whom, except three who were present at the funeral, have passed into the great beyond; those who survive being Mr. Robert Hopps, Mr. Edward Hopps and Mrs. Ada Barringer. Miss Hopps early became a Christian and united with the Presbyterian church of Paw Paw by letter from the Presbyterian church of Dunton, Ill., Feb. 6th 1876 during the ministry of the Rev. Alex Peck. She was a noble, Christian woman who exemplified the Christian life and character in her daily walk. She was genial and affable in her intercourse with others and as opportunity offered sought to do good to all. She seemed not to think of self but to be always planning to help others. Like her Master, she went about doing good. She was liberal and many were her benefactions. Every good cause and needy object appealed to her generous nature and appealed not in vain. She was faithful to the church and all its work. She taught in the S. S., worked in the missionary society, helped generously in the Aid Society and did what she could to encourage and promote every good word and work. She was in no sense narrow or sectarian in her views or work but generously aided every good cause which appealed to her. Jesus Christ was her model and she sought to follow in His steps. Walking with God she is not, for He has taken her to be with himself. She has entered into the joy of her Divine Lord. She rests from her labors and her works do follow her. The funeral services were held at the family residence, her pastor, Rev. J. W. Mann, preaching the sermon from Mark 14:8. "She hath done what She Could." He was assisted in the services by the pastors Slaughter and Matthews of the M. E. and Baptist churches. Sweet and consoling music was discoursed by a choir composed of Mr. and Mrs. Hicks, Mrs. Epla and Mr. Mitchell, with Mr. Max Swarthout presiding at the organ. The very large congregation present attested the high esteem in which she was held by the community. The interment was at the Ellsworth cemetery.

RESOLUTIONS: Resolutions passed by the W. C. T. U. of Paw Paw, Wednesday, Oct. 2, 1901, on the death of their honored member Miss Mary Hopps. WHEREAS, Our Heavenly Father, in His infinite wisdom, has seen fit to call our dear sister Miss Mary Hopps from her labors of love to the reward of the faithful, therefore, Resolved, That we, the W. C. T. U. of Paw Paw, recognize that by her removal we sustain the loss of a true and devoted member. Like Frances Willard, with whom her sisters were intimately associated as classmates, her life was given to the uplifting of humanity and the cause of temperance. Her labors along charitable lines were almost without a parallel, and very many have been the recipients of her generous gifts of love. She possessed the choice virtues of Christian character, refined and purefied in the furnace of affliction, such as the world cannot rightly estimate. Her resignation in the most trying ordeals, and her unshaken confidence in her Savior shown brightly in days of severe suffering. Frances Willard's earthly career began, and to Aunt Mary came the dawning of the life eternal, on Sept. 28. Resolved, That we, as a society, extend to the bereaved sister, brothers and kindred our tenderest sympathy, praying that within the gates of life eternal each find entrance to join our beloved sister.
Mrs. Mary Brownlie, Mrs. Ellen Oderkirk, Mrs. Mary Larabee.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler


Born December 23, 1853 - Died May 14, 1906
The people of this community were shocked and grieved to learn of the sudden death of R. A. Hopps, which occurred at his home in this city Monday afternoon at about 3 o'clock. He had been ill since his return home from Lake Geneva, but none dreamed the end was so near. He was one of the best known men in this vicinity, having conducted a general merchandise store here for twenty-one years--disposing of the business to Edwards & Chaffee about one year ago. During the past three weeks he had been confined to his bed with pleurisy, which was the cause of his death. He was born in Wheeling, Cook County, Illinois, December 23, 1853 and was the son of Wm. and Martha (Smith) Hopps. He came to Lee County in 1864 and for sixteen years made his home with his uncle, David Smith, in Willow Creek township, after which he conducted a farm for three years. In the fall of 1883 he moved to Paw Paw and purchased the general store at that time conducted by Henry Potter. He remained in the Potter building until 1895 when he erected what is known as the Hopps block--which gave him a double store room, the upper part of the building being fitted up and since used as an opera house. In 1890 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Stauffer of Compton. To this union three children were born--R. Smith, Gladys and Howard--who with the widow are left to mourn his death. The funeral was held from his late home yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. J. N. Dingle officiating, and the remains were laid to rest in Wyoming cemetery. As a mark of respect all the business houses were closed yesterday between the hours of two and three o'clock.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler

WILLIAM HOPPS , met with a sudden and awful death Monday forenoon and the community received the news with feelings of awe inspired by the shock encountered as one hears of the violent death of a friend or neighbor. Mr. Hopps has always made his home with his uncle, David Smith, and he has been an industrious worker, though handicapped by the loss of one leg. Mr. Hopps, his brother Ed, and a farm hand were hauling hay from a stack a half mile south of Mr. Smith's residence. The wagons were loaded, and Ed had driven away a few rods on the way to the house, when he heard the hired man cry out. Upon looking back, he saw that the other wagon had upset. Wm. Hopps was driving the team and when the load turned over, he fell off, striking the ground directly on his head, it is supposed. At any rate, he was unconscious when the slight covering of hay was removed and never gave any sign of life, other than a slight respiration which continued for a few minutes. Dr. Stetler, who was called, found his neck had been broken and the skull fractured. It can be believed that had Mr. Hopps not been retarded by his crippled condition, in his efforts to save himself in the fall, this accident would not have been recorded.

OBITUARY: William Hopps was born in Wheeling, Cook Co., Illinois, May 25, 1849, and died January 9, 1859[has to be a misprint he was alive in 1880]. After the death of his mother, he came to Paw Paw, in February 1864, since which time he has lived with his uncle, David Smith. Some ten years or more ago he lost a limb and was thus rendered a cripple for the remainder of his life. But notwithstanding his misfortune his independence of spirit was such that he was unwilling to be a charge to his friends, but still worked and did what he was able to do about the farm. It was while about his labor with the team, on the wagon loaded with hay, that he met with the accident which so suddenly precipitated him from the scenes of time into the Eternal world. He was fond of good reading, had a good memory and was well informed on many subjects which he was able to discuss with no little intelligence and ability with his friends. On the evening previous to his sudden demise, he read a sermon by Dr. Talmage on The law of self-sacrifice in which the preacher sets forth the gospel doctrine of salvation through the sacrifice of the Son of God, from the text without shedding of blood is no remission. We trust he is saved through the atoning blood which cleanses from all sin those who trust in Him who gave himself for us that whosoever believe in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. The funeral services were conducted at the house by Rev. J. W. Mann of the Presbyterian church with the assistance of Rev. R. H. Dolliver of the M. E. church. Text-- Be ye therefore ready also; for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. The quartette composed of Mr. and Mrs. Hicks, Mr. E. E. Mitchell and Miss Ella Mitchell sang several beautiful and comforting hymns. The remains were interred in the Elsworth cemetery.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler

ROBERT W. HOUGH - Funeral services for Robert W. Hough, 80, Mt. Morris, were held today in the M ethodist Church with the Rev. Wilbur Hopkins, pastor, and the Rev. Wm. Manny, Lansing, Ill., former pator, officiating. Burial was in Oakwood Cemetery, Mt. Morris. Mr. Hough, the senior patrner of Hough Hardware Company died Saturday (August 20, 1955) at 3 p.m. in his home, 10 W. Hitt St., of a heart ailment, after a five-month illness. He was born in Compton, Dec. 15, 1874, the son of Wm. and Maria Hough. He married May Yetter, Steward, in 1898. He entered the hardware business in Mt. Morris in 1910, and his son, Gerald, later became a partner in the business. Survivors are his widow, son and three grandchildren.
Dixon Evening Telegraph August 22, 1955

DAVID HOWARD , 87, died at the Lee County nursing home at 8:25 a.m. Tuesday after a lingering illness. He is survived by a son Earl of Polo, one daughter Mrs. Pearl Crouse, Eldena; a half sister Mrs. Belle Hoyle, Dixon; one stepson, Ellsworth Shoemaker, Eldena; 11 grandchildren, 13 great grandchildren and 2 great great grandchildren. Services will be held at Preston Funeral home at 2 p.m. Thursday with the Rev. R.R. Heindenrich officiating. Burial in Temperance Hill Cemetery.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 19 April 1950

ETHEL ERMINA (NOBLE) HOWARD passed away suddenly at her home three miles northeast of Amboy at 6 p.m. Wednesday on her 58th birthday. Funeral services will be announced later and are being made at the Vaughn funeral chapel. Ethel Ermina Noble was born in May township, Lee county, Jan. 3, 1887 a daughter of the late James and Eulla Noble and was married to Ralph Howard in Dixon April 28, 1906. She is survived by her husband; two sons, Vernon of Dixon and ALbert of Amboy, four grandchildren; two brothers Elmer Noble of Borger Tex., and Stanley Noble of Dixon; a half brother Ernest Copeland of Amboy and a half sister, Mrs. Elsie Fish of Dixon. One child preceded her in death.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 4 January 1945

RALPH H. HOWARD , 63, a lifelong resident of Lee County, who for several years has resided in Amboy and vicinity, died this morning at the KSB hospital. He had been suffering from a heart ailment for the past few years. He was born Feb. 28, 1886 in Lee County. His wife preceded him in January 1945. Surviving are two sons, Vernon R. Howard of Dixon, Alert R. of Franklin Grove; one sister, Mrs. Fred Joynt of Eldena; one brother, Perry Howard of Rock Falls and four grandchildren. The body was removed to the Tomlinson uneral parlor in Amboy. Services will be Sunday by Rev. J.H. Hughes pastor of the Dixon Baptist church assisted by Rev. Donald SMith of the Amboy church and internment will be in the Burket cemetery east of Dixon.
Dixon Evening Telegrpah 3 March 1949

DANIEL HOWE , 46, Rochelle, passed away on Tuesday, Sept. 20,m 2011 at St. Anthony Medical Center in Rockford. He was born on Nov, 23, 1964 in Belvidere to George w. and Julie A. (Horton) Howe. Dan was previously a manager for Bill Doran Flowers and was currently a driver for Schneider Trucking. He was active in youth activities, coached minor league and little league baseball in Rochelle and bowling. He was a member of Calvary Lighthouse Church. Survivors include his parents, George and Julie Howe of Rochelle; four brothers, George (Darcey) Howe of Rochelle, Peter (Cathy) Howe of Dixon, Kevin (Lori) Miller of Rochelle and Joe (Tonia) Howe of Rochelle; special friend, Cheri McGee of Rochelle; and several nieces and nephews. Services will be held at Unger-Horner Funeral Home in Rochelle on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 10 a.m. with Rev. Cory Baker of Cape Coral, Fla., officiating. A visitation will be held Friday, Sept. 23 fro 4-8 p.m. Burial will be at Franklin Grove Cemetery.
From Pat Esterday - Rochelle News-Leader

LINDA SUE (HARDEN) HOWE , 44, of Jupiter, Fla., formerly of Dixon, died Friday April 30, 2004 at St. Mary's Hospital, West Palm Beach Fla. She was employed by Young and Rubicam in the marketing department. Mrs. Howe was born July 3, 1959, in Rockford, the daughter of William and Helen (Coss) Harden. She was confirmed at First United Methodist Church, Dixon. She was a 1977 graduate of Dixon High School and a graduate of Drake University, DesMoines, Iowa, where she was a member of Chi Omega Sorority. She married James Howe on March 26, 1983 in Dixon. Survivors include here husband; a son, William Howe at home; and her parents of Dixon. The funeral is at 10:30 Wednesday with the Rev. Tony Hawkins officiating at the Methodist Church. Burial is a Oakwood.
Contributed by Jan Roggy - from the Sterling Gazette

GEORGE DONALD HOWES , 66, of Mabley Development Center, Dixon, died Tuesday July 8,2003, at the center. Mr. Howes was born Jan. 7, 1937, in New Bedford, the son of George E and Emma (Hardy) Howes. Survivors include three sisters, Betty (Larry) Shuler of Walnut, Joyce (Lawrence) Long of Oregon and Marjorie (George) Homer of Kewanee, and numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, and a brother, Junior David Howes. Private burial was at Walnut Cemetery Arrangements were completed by Garland Funeral Home, Walnut. Daily Gazette 12 Jul 2003

JAMES C. HOWLETT , was the son of Horatio G. and Amanda M. Howlett. He was born in Onondago county, in the State of New York, on the 22nd day of March 1837. When he was about six moths old, his parents came to Illinois. They lived in Dixon for a time and in 1839 came to Allens Grove, to the place which was destined to be his home for nearly 65 years. At the breaking point of the Rebellion Mr. Howlett was among the first to offer his services to the Government; he was in Missouri at the time and enlisted in a company which was being formed there in June 1861, but the company not being mustered in he returned home and on the 6th day of August 1862 enlisted in Company K, 75th Illinois infantry. He was mustered in September 2nd, 1862, and the regiment soon after went to the front and in about 4 weeks from the time they were mustered in were engaged in the battle of Perryville, on October 8th, 1862. Among other engagements in which his regiment participated was Stone River, Chickamauga, Rocky Face Ridge, Resaca, Franklin and Nashville. Mr. Howlett had an enviable war record, and was mustered out after the close of the war on the 12th day of June 1865. After his return from the service, he engaged in teaching during the winters and taught some 16 winters in the district schools in his vicinity, and there are many who will remember him as their teacher. April 13th, 1867, he was married to Sarah Jane Fowler and to them five children were born, Mary, George G., Amanda B., Wilbur and Florence, the latter the wife of Louis Pitcher of Dixon, Illinois. The living children were present at the funeral with the exception of George, who, with his wife, lives at Seattle. The family circle remained unbroken until March 25, 1895, when the daughter, Amanda B., was summoned to the spirit land. A brother, George M. Howlett, of Minneapolis, Minn., and two sisters, Harriet LeMoin of Dunningville, Mich., and Cornelia Vosburg of Louisville, Neb., survive him. Mr. Howlett possessed the esteem and confidence of his neighbors and friends to a very large extent and their confidence in him was shown by the fact that he was many times called upon by them to fill various township offices and act in other positions of trust and responsibility; he was Supervisor of his township several years, town clerk for several terms, collector and filled various other positions with credit to himself and honor to his friends. He was a devoted member of Wm. H. Thompson, Post, No. 308, G.A.R., and has been Commander of the Post. He took great interest in all matters pertaining to the old veterans and was always ready to aid any thing looking to their benefit. Socially he was a member of Corinthian Lodge No. 205, A. F. & A. M. of Paw Paw, and of Foster Chapter No.331, order of the Eastern Star of Paw Paw, and always took great interest and pleasure in attending the meetings of these orders. A kind, loving and indulgent husband and father, he leaves besides his widow and children and brother and sisters a wide circle of friends and acquaintances to mourn his loss. The funeral was held at the Methodist Episcopal church on Tuesday afternoon and was conducted by Rev. W. B. Slaughter, of Princeton, and the J. N. Dingle of the local pastorate. Wm. H. Thompson, Post G.A.R., was the escort of honor and was at the funeral in a body, as were the members of the W.R.C. The Masonic brethren and sisters of the Eastern Star were also present in large numbers. The floral offerings consisted of a shield from the Grand Army Post, a piece from the Masons--square and compasses, a star from the Eastern Star and numerous small pieces. The music was by a quartette, Messrs. Geo. Hicks and Ben Roberts and Mrs. Hicks and Miss Frances Preston. Appropriate to the occasion was the rendering by the quartette of "Tenting on the Old Campground." After the funeral the cortege proceeded to the Ellsworth cemetery, north of town, where the remains were laid at rest in the family lot.

We desire to express our sincere thanks to the friends and neighbors who have so kindly assisted us during the illness and death of our husband, father and brother. The G. A. R. and W. R. C. for their loving ministrations. The Masonic fraternity and O. E. S. for their sympathy and kindness. The Paw Paw and Dixon friends and societies for the beautiful flowers, and the quartette for the sweet impressive music. -- Sara J. Howlett and family, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Pitcher, G. M. Howlett.
Contributed by Marilyn Widler

EMILY (DEETER) HOYLE , wife of John Hoyle, passed away Saturday evening at 9:40 o'clock at her home, 509 East Chamberlin street, aged 75 years. For the past five weeks she had been confined to her bed by her infirmities and paralysis was the direct cause of her death. Mrs. Hoyle, whose maiden name was Emily Deeter, was born Aug. 1827 in Somerset county, Penn., and while still living there was married to John Hoyle. they cam to Illinois in 1861 and settled on a farm near Eldena, where they remained until 1887, at which time they moved to the village of Eldena. For the past eight years they have lived in Dixon. Besides her husband, Mrs. Hoyle leaves a sister, Mrs. William Keller of Broken Bend, Neb., and a brother Henry Deeter of Dixon. She also leaves a large family of descendants. 12 children were born to them, three of whom died in infancy The nine children living are: Mrs. Ellen Hartman, Spring View, Neb., Mrs. Joshua Hoyle, Dixon, Mrs. H. Ringler, South Dixon, Mrs. Wm. Bechtelheimer, Oto, Ia, Mrs. E.G Howard, John W. Hoyle, and Peter Hoyle, South Dixon, Mrs. J.A. Glessner, Chicago, Mrs. C.H. Shoemaker, Beatirce, Neb. Of the younger generation there are 41 grandchildren and 10 g-grandchildren. Mrs. Hoyle united with the Evangelical church when a girl of 18 years and has continued a true and devoted Christian all the days of her life and was loved by all who knew her. Funeral services will occur Tuesday morning. A prayer will be made at the house at 10 o'clock by Rev. E.O. Rife, who will also preach the funeral sermon at Grace Evangelical church at 10:30 Saturday. Burial will be at the Burket cemetery on the Franklin Grove road.

JOHN HOYLE , died this morning. Was aged 77 years. After being confined to his bed for two weeks with neuralgia of the heart John Hoyle, of 509 East Chamberlain street, died at 7 o'clock this, Friday, morning, aged 77 years and one months. Mr. Hoyle was a native of Somerset county, Pa. While still living there he married Miss Emily Deeter. They came to Illinois in 1861 and settled on a farm near Eldena, where they remained until 1887, at which time they moved to the village of Eldena. For the past eight years he has lived ;in Dixon and early last February his wife died, aged 75 years. Nine children survive him, being Mrs. Ellen Hartman, Spring View, Neb., Mrs. Joshua Hoyle, Dixon, Mrs. H. Ringler, South Dixon, Mrs. Wm. Bechtelheimer, Oto, Ia, Mrs. E.G Howard, John W. Hoyle, and Peter Hoyle, South Dixon, Mrs. J.A. Glessner, Chicago, Mrs. C.H. Shoemaker, Beatirce, Neb. Of the younger generation there are 41 grandchildren and 10 g-grandchildren. The funeral will probably be held Sunday morning but the announcement will be made definitely tomorrow.
Dixon Telegraph August 14, 1903 Biography

JOHN WESLEY HOYLE , son of John Hoyle and Emeline Deeter Hoyle, was born in Somerset Co., Penn. on May 6, 1863. At about thc age of six months; his parents came to Lee Co. Illinois. Mr. Hoyles early years were spent near Eldena, Lee Co.. and his entire lifetime was spent in Lee Co. He was married to Belle Fritz. Feb. 1, 1887, who at the time lived in Eldena. They went to live on the homestead farm of Mr. Hoyle's father. Six of their seven children were born on this homestead farm. After twenty-eight years of successful farming, the family moved to Dixon, having lived almost thirty years in their present home at 203 Grant avenue, where he passed away Friday evening, July 7th. Besides his wife Belle, he leaves the following children: Ray V. Hoyle, of Mt. Pleasant, Mich: Mrs. Earl Pelton. Dixon, Ill.; Frank W. Hoyle, Plum Hollow Rd. Dixon. Ill.; Russell J. Hoyle. Oakland, Calif.; Mrs. Harold Martin. Beloit. Wis.; Two daughters preceded him in death, Florence as an infant and Hazel, wife of S. C. Forney. One brother, Peter Hoyle of Eldena, and one sister Mrs. Chas. Shoemaker of Beardon, Arkansas survive also. In February 1937 these loving and always kind parents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with their children and grandchildren around them. February this year made fifty-seven years of wonderful companship. Sixteen grandchildren and twelve great grandchildren also felt the loss of his never failing interest in everything they undertook. God was good to us all to have given us such a loving father for such a long time. His wisdom and love made us all better for it.
Dixon Telegraph 15 July 1944 --- Biography

KATHRYN (ULRICH) HOYLE , RFD 4 passed away at the KSB Hospital Sunday (July 2, 1944) evening following a long illness. Mrs. Hoyle was born in Sandwich IL June 6, 1866 and came to Lee County as a child residing in Marion and South Dixon Twps. practically her entire lifetime. She is survived by her husband, one daughter Mrs. Mary Jackson of Harmon; seven sons, John Lloyd and William of Dixon, Edward of Harmon, Robert of Amboy, and George & Charles of Chicago. Three sisters; Mrs. Jules Brechon of South Dixon, Mrs. Lena Morrisey of Walton and Mrs. Addie Blackburn of Dixon; two brother, Henry & Edward Ulrich of Walton; 15 grandchildren and one great grandchild. Services will be held at Jones Funeral Home and St. Pats Catholic Church on Wednesday (July 5, 1944). Burial at Oakwood.
Dixon Evening Telegraph 03 July 1944

RICHARD L. HOYLE , 80, died Jan. 28, 2005 at his son's home after an extended illness. He was a lifetime self-employed carpenter in Dixon. He was born Dec. 1, 1924 in Dixon, the son of walter & Nellie (Missman) Hoyle. He married Lolita M. Horton on Dec. 1, 1946 in Dixon. She died July 15, 1995. He was a past president of Dixon Tuesday Morning Kiwanis Club and a former deacon at Dixon Church of the Brethren. Survivors include three sons, Roger, Vincent and Michael; nine grandchildren adn 13 great-grandchildren. Burial is at Chapel Hill Memorial.

EDWARD FRANKLIN HUMPHREY , son of Charles and Martha Humphrey was born December 1, 1895 on a farm in Woodford Co. near Eureka, Ill. In 1913 he moved with the family to a farm 2 1/2 miles northwest of Ashton and later into Franklin Grove. He served in World War 1 with the 131st Inf. 33 Division. He saw battle service in France and was discharged in June 1919. He was a member of Altenbury Post No. 497 of Franklin Grove. He made his home with his mother until the time of his death. He was a member of the Christian church of Washington, Ill. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Martha Humphrey, 4 brothers, Chris from Dixon, Henry from Desplains, Ill., Nelson from Ashton and Harold, one sister Luella at home. He passed away Dec. 31, 1944 at the age of 49 years 1 month. The Rev. Carl Montonus, who also blew taps over the grave. Firing squad, Medrech Hussey, William Herbst, Roy Shoemaker, Henry Fruit, Wilbur Brecunier, Casket Bearers were George Krehl, Bob Miller, Charles Baker, Carl Kness, Roy Warrenfeltz, Wayne Dunseth.
Dixon Telegraph January 6, 1945

HILDA E. (HOFER) HUMPHREY , 54, loving wife of Roger Humphrey of Dixon, passed away peacefully, Thursday, November 27, 2003 after a courageous battle with cancer. Her loving family was by her side at Kindred Hospital in Sycamore, IL. She was an avid antique dealer for many years, most recently working at E and M Antiques in Dixon. Hilda was born on October 4, 1949 in Clinton, Iowa, the daughter of Eric and Naomi (Clark) Hofer. She married Roger Humphrey on June 22, 1968 in Camanche, Iowa. Hilda enjoyed spending time with her family, antiquing, breeding chow dogs and feeding the ducks and geese by the river. Everyone who crossed her path was touched by her profound giving and lovingness. Survivors include her husband of Dixon; three daughters, Tina (Brian) Gonnerman, Spencer, WI, Tracy (Joey) Lovgren, Rockford, IL., Rogene (Chad) Maxon, Aurora, IL.; two step-daughters, Dani White and Leslie Humphrey, both of Carlsbad, CA; one brother, Robert Hofer, Alaska; two sisters, Judy (Bud) Martin, Centerville, IA. and Joan (Cecil) Young, Rock Falls; five grandchildren, Avery, Faith, Gracey Lovgren, Dylan Gonnerman and Wesley White; and several nieces and nephews. Hilda was preceded in death by her parents. Visitation will be 2:00-8:00 PM on Sunday, November 30, 2003 at Preston-Schilling Funeral Home, Dixon, IL. with the family present from 6:00-8:00 PM. Private Funeral Services will be on Monday, December 1, 2003 at the Preston-Schilling Funeral Home, Dixon, with the Rev. Dick Wisdom, Pastor of Christ United Methodist Church, Rockford and the Rev. Dan Qualls, Pastor of Rockford First Assembly co-officiating. Entombment will be in Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens, Dixon.

NANCY V. (SMITH) HUMPHREY , 60, of Dixon died Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2004 at her home after a long illnes. She was employed by Cathy's Breakfast Nook, Town and Country Restaurant and Miller's Pantry Castle, as a waitress fo 30 years. She was born Oct. 27, 1944 in Dixon, the daughter of William and Evelyn (Schumacher) Smith. She enjoyed spending time with her grandchildrena nd gardening. Survivors are four sons, Rick (Brenda) Humphrey of Dixon, Kevin (Paula) Humphrey of Polo, Thomas (Candy) Humphrey of Amoby, John (Serrell) Ankney of Dixon; a daughter Tammy (Ed) Dewey of Stafford, Va; her mother of Dixon and 12 grandchildren. She wsa preceded in death by a daughter Jennifer and her father. Services are Monday at Immanuel Lutheran in Dixon with the Rev. Ronald Ferrell officiating. Burial is a Oakwood.
Sterling Gazette December 30, 2004 contributed by Jan Roggy

FRANKLYN N. HURD , 68, 605 S. Prospect St. Park Ridge, died Wednesday afternoon July 15 (1970) in his home. He was a former Franklin Grove area resident. He was born Jan. 9, 1902 in Ashton, the son of Joseph and mary Chambers Hurd. Mr. Hurd was married to Jeanne Edward on Nov. 15, 1945. He was an active real estate and insurance broker and WWII veteran. He was a member of the American Legion and VFW. Survivors include his widow; two sisters, Mrs. Hazel Johnson, Deerfield and Mrs. Ruth Drain, Dixon. Funeral services were Saturday in the Cluts Funeral Home, Ashton with Rev. Robert T. Prater pastor of the United Methodist Church, Ashton officiating.Burial was in the Ashton Cemetery.
Contributed by Pat France

Lee County Obituaries