Genealogy and History
This enterprising town is in the northeast corner of Logan County, at the intersection of the Chicago, Alton & St. Louis and Illinois Midland Railroads. The State survey shows few places higher than the site of this city. It is about midway between the cities of Chicago and St. Louis, and is only ten miles from the geographical center of the state.
Among the earliest settlers in this part of the county were the Hoblits, Turners, Druleys, Bevans and Downeys. These were located in the immediate vicinity of the present city, while to the east were the Foggs and Tuttles; to the north the McFarlands and Kenyons; to the west the Haweses, and to the south the Larisons, Barrs and others. These pioneers generally settled near the timber, the majority of them being in the county at the time of the "deep snow." But few prairie farms in this vicinity were cultivated before 1835; but it was not long after, until a comfortable farm-house began to appear here and there, and the rich prairie soil began to yield to the cultivation of the more adventurous settlers, who were beginning to discover its fertility and ease of cultivation, compared to the timber lands. It is a curious fact, and seems wonderful to the present generation that all early settlers preferred the timber to the prairie. For purposes of shelter and fuel this was a wise step, and can be readily accounted for, but for cultivation the purpose is not so apparent. However, these brave old pioneers, coming from a timbered country, and being accustomed from their infancy to see "clearings," adopted the same plan here for a home, and for several years hardly thought of the prairies, save as a pasture. One by one ventured upon them, however, and no sooner was their productiveness a fact, and their cultivation feasible, than they were rapidly occupied, and are now the finest farms in the county.
The early settlers of this part of the county, well remember the days of Abraham Lincoln, David Davis, and others of like prominence, when on their horseback journeys to and from the various courts in the interior part of the state. When going from Springfield to Bloomington, these two named almost always stopped at the house of Samuel Hoblit, one of the earliest residents in this part of the county, which at that time and until 1845 was a portion of DeWitt County. At this date, Pekin was the chief market. Springfield was the first post-office for this locality; afterward, Bloomington or Pekin, and almost cotemporary the small town of Waynesville in DeWitt County, one of the oldest in this part of the state. A demand for a nearer market and better shipping facilities was being felt, and to aid in the hope for the fulfillment of these wants, the survey of the Chicago & Alton Railroad was made. This road gave activity to these desires, and no sooner was the survey fixed than the location of a town in this section of the country was agitated. The town of Mt. Hope, a few miles northeast of the site of Atlanta, was staked out, but being off the railroad was abandoned. It is now the farm of Marion McCormick. New Castle, to the southeast, had become quite a village, but, for the same reason, was abandoned on the survey of Atlanta, and became incorporated therein, the majority of its residents moving to the new town. The Baptists had built a house of worship there, and some trade was established at this, date -1853. Early in this year, R. T. Gill, then a resident of Pekin, entered the land on which the city of Atlanta now stands, at one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre. It was then assessed at twelve hundred dollars. The assessed value now is nearly a half million. On the 23d of June, he offered the lots at public auction, and by a liberal policy secured a large sale, and before the close of the season, fifteen or twenty buildings were ready for occupancy. The first of these was built by R. T. Gill, and occupied the present site of a meat market, near the corner of Vine and Railroad streets. The freight house was erected by the railroad company about the same time, and shortly after a passenger depot.
When the town was surveyed, it received the name of Xenia. This name was suggested by Mrs. James Downey, in remembrance of her former home in Xenia, Ohio. On application for a post-office, it was ascertained that an office by that name already existed in the state, and the founders of the town changed it to Hamilton, in honor of Col. L. D. Hamilton. Applying the second time for a post-office, they met with the same difficulty, and to avoid having a town and post-office of different names, a third name was chosen. Mr. R. T. Gill had some time previously spent a portion of a year in Atlanta, Georgia, and remembering the beauty of that city, suggested that name. As no post-office of that name existed in Illinois, that appellation was adopted. Several persons yet hold deeds of lots in the town of Xenia.
For several years following, the history of Atlanta is one of unprecedented growth and prosperity. Stores, shops and dwellings were rapidly erected; schools and churches were established, and the highest hopes of the founders were being speedily realized. By the close of 1854, the town contained about five hundred people, and nearly a hundred houses. The grain trade was assuming vast proportions, and, indeed, within a few years Atlanta was the largest grain market on this railroad between the two cities at either extremity.
By an act of the legislature, approved February 14, 1855, the town was incorporated. Its boundaries then embraced, by that charter, the east half of the northwest quarter, and west half of the northeast quarter of section twenty, in all one hundred and sixty acres. The same charter provided for the election of a board of five trustees. Before the incorporation act, and when there were no village officers to execute the law, a number of the citizens organized a company known as the "Big Grove Rangers," whose object was to secure and bring to justice all violators of the law. The organization did effective work, and kept this part of the county comparatively free of outlaws.
During the year 1855, no western town eclipsed Atlanta in its growth. Until this date, the buildings, though of wood, were commodious and ample for the wants of trade; but a necessity for a more substantial class was becoming apparent, and early in the year the first brick building in town was erected. It stood on the corner of Vine and Railroad streets, and is yet used and known as the Atlanta House. It was opened on July, 4, 1855. During the early summer, one hundred houses were "raised" in two weeks, and before the close of the season one hundred and fifty-Jive buildings were added to the already conspicuous town. In August, the Logan County Forum, an enterprising and well-edited weekly newspaper, was established by Mr. S. B. Dugger. About the same time the town was visited by the editor of the Springfield Register, who thus wrote of Atlanta to his paper:
"Two years ago there was not a building in the place or within a mile of it. Now the village numbers two hundred and sixty houses, and one thousand inhabitants. The buildings are all good, many of them large and splendid, and all painted. The men appeared energetic, self-confident and intelligent."
This same summer, the Atlanta Seminary was established. The old seminary building was built in 1853, when there were not more than twenty buildings in town. The Illinois Cross Railroad was also incorporated; but the failure to act promptly in this matter caused its construction to be defeated at the time.
During the next summer, the important buildings erected were H. Armington's brick block, the Logan House, by G. A. Colton, Dills & Howser's warehouse, and the large frame building, on what is now the Post-office block. None of these remain save the Logan (Grant) House, each succumbing to the ravages of the fire-fiend. In the spring of this year, T. N. Gill & Co. opened a bank, which they conducted some time, and retiring from the business, were succeeded by David Kern & Co., who were in turn succeeded by Dills, Kern &'Co., who conducted the business until 1866, when it passed into the hands of Frank Hoblit and his brothers. In 1875, they changed the bank into a National Bank, and have since been managing it as such. It has a capital of $50,000, and a surplus of over $10,000. The Hoblit family has been largely identified with the moneyed institutions of Atlanta, and as the reader will observe in the biography of the family, is among the oldest settlers in this part of the county.
A steady advancement marked the next year, which continued uninterrupted several years. In 1861, an act relating to the advancement of agricultural societies passed the State Legislature, which gave aid to the Atlanta Union Central Agricultural Society, which held its first meeting in the fall of 1860. It is one of the best agricultural societies in this portion of Illinois, and since its incorporation has held annually an excellent fair.
Not long after this date the war of the rebellion broke out, and a call for troops was the result. The Seventh and Eighth Regiments of Illinois Infantry were each mustered into service the same day, the 25th of April, 1861. In the former of these two regiments, Atlanta was well represented. Company E, the first in the state to report for duty at Camp Butler, contained eighty-five men from Atlanta, and Company D had twenty-nine privates, while two companies contained four others. Of the officers in this regiment, seven were from Atlanta. The Thirty-eighth Infantry had sixty men in Company E, three in Company B, and seven commissioned officers. In the One hundred and sixth there were sixty-eight men in Company E, seven scattering, and six officers. The Second Cavalry was furnished with nineteen privates and three officers from Atlanta, and in the Forty-fourth and Sixty-sixth were found quite a number. As the war progressed, these officers were promoted, while their places were filled from the rank of the privates. Of those who enlisted from this town, all but one or two honorably acquitted themselves, and all those who survived the conflict came home with an untarnished record, while in many a southern field, and in many an unknown grave, there sleep in quiet rest the remains of many of these brave men who were willing to lay their lives on their country's altar in her defense.
The city has at different times suffered disastrously from fire. In 1857, a fire destroyed the Atlanta House, and in 1865, laid in ashes all the buildings between Armington's block and Arch street. This same year another equally disastrous fire destroyed other buildings in the central part of town, at which time the town records were wholly destroyed. At later dates Armington's block, Beath & Hoose's manufactory and planing mill, Dills & Howser's warehouse were destroyed; and on July 7, 1867, Mix & Co.'s hardware store, and other adjacent buildings, suffered a like fate. These losses have taught the citizens a severe lesson. The buildings burned were almost all wooden structures, which have been replaced by commodious brick houses, which of themselves will serve as an excellent safeguard against this element.
Until 1866, Mr. Harvey Turner was almost the only person who maintained that good brick could be made from prairie soil. That year, however, a company representing a capital stock of $2,000 began operations, and continued the manufacture of brick two years. Among the more prominent buildings erected in that time as monuments of this industry, was the Union Hall block, it being the first of their work. The manufacture is yet carried on in several places, generally along the creek, or in the edge of the timber.
In 1867, a company was formed for the purpose of sinking a coal shaft. The boring for coal began November 26, and after several attempts reached a good vein of coal, at a depth of two hundred and forty-five feet. This is the same vein of coal now mined by the Lincoln Coal Company, and underlies several counties, at a very uniform depth. Had the company continued their operations, a good article of coal would have rewarded their efforts. The company received its charter in 1869, and is yet in existence, but has sunk no shaft. 1
All these years the town had been under the control of the village trustees, five in number. The population had increased to more than a thousand persons, and the advisability of a city government was considered by the citizens. The incorporation act, as a town, was passed by the legislature, February 24, 1855, and on April 2, the first board of trustees was elected. It consisted of the following persons: A. N. Dills, A. K. Martin, William P. Hunt, William S. Leonard, and Cornelius Lambert. R. T. Gill was chosen president of the board, which met on the 7th, and appointed J. Henry Ball, clerk; E. H. Dunagan, constable, and H. Armington, street commissioner. This form of government was used until 1869, when a city charter was obtained, on March 8, of that year, and on the 16th the question was submitted to a vote of the people. One hundred and seventy-three votes were cast in favor of a city organization, nineteen against; seven votes were cast against the city charter. This still left a majority of one hundred and forty-seven votes in favor of the move. On the 23d of the same month, the election for city officers was held, at which time a Mayor, a City Clerk, a City Marshal, a Treasurer, an Attorney, an Assessor and Collector, one Justice, a Street Commissioner, and a City Surveyor were elected. As many readers of these pages will desire to see a complete list of the city's officers from that date to this, the list is here given, with each year of servitude.
1869-Mayor, Samuel H. Fields; clerk, J. Henry Ball; marshal, J. B. Ransel; treasurer, L. James; assessor and collector, S. D. Fisher; attorney, W. E. Dir, also elected surveyor; street commissioner, J. Frinfrock. Aldermen: First ward, W. P. Hunt; second, George Esterbrook; third, E. Stuart.
1870-Mayor, G. I. Harry; clerk, Arthur Paullin; assessor and collector, C. T. Rock; treasurer, L. James; street commissioner, Dietrich Martin; marshal, Charles Blessing. Aldermen: First ward, Andrew Turner; second, R. A. Super; third, E. Stuart.
1871-Mayor, Benjamin Bean; clerk, Arthur Paullin; assessor and collector, G. L. Parker; street commissioner, Hiram Lawrence; magistrate, J. Henry Ball; marshal, Charles Blessing. Aldermen: First ward, Seth Turner; second, Thomas Camerer; third, S. D. Fisher.
1872-Mayor, William P. Hunt; clerk, Andrew P. West: marshal, L. C. Lambert; street commissioner, Hiram Lawrence; assessor and collector, S. S. Keigwin. Aldermen: First ward, Seth Turner; second, John M. Gallon; third, Edward E. Beath.
1873-Mayor, E. Stuart; clerk, Andrew P. West; justice, J. Henry Ball; assessor rind collector, S. S. Keigwin; marshal, L. C. Lambert; street commissioner, Hiram Lawrence. Aldermen: First ward, Seth Turner; second, Solomon Morris; third, F. J. Fields.
1874-Mayor, James Shores; clerk, William H. Mason; marshal, C. Hoblit; assessor and collector, S. S. Keigwin; street commissioner, Hiram Lawrence. Aldermen: First ward, Seth Turner; second, Frank Hoblit; third, E. E. Beath.
1875-Mayor, Andrew P. West; clerk, B. A. Field ; marshal, L. C. Lambert; street commissioner, H. Lawrence. Aldermen: First ward, J. G. Reise; second, Thomas Worthington; third, R. D. Kesler, elected at a second election, the vote at the first being a tie.
1876-Mayor, Benjamin Bean; clerk, M. H. C. Young; marshal, L. C. Lambert; street commissioner, Scott Martin. Aldermen: First ward, J. Q. McKinon; second, H. C. Hawes; third, E. E. Beath.
1877-Mayor, P. R. Marquart; clerk, M. H. C. Young; magistrate, Edmund Hill; marshal, John Becker; street commissioner, Hiram Lawrence. Aldermen: First ward, J. S. Perriton; second, Thomas Camerer; third, Elias Harness.
At the same time the city charter was granted, the school, which had been in the hands of the town authorities, was organized under the state school law, and a board of directors, or inspectors, was elected to take charge of the affairs of the district. This form of management yet prevails, and has done very much toward the present town schools.
Atlanta contains about fifteen hundred inhabitants. The trade of the town is principally with the surrounding farmers, whom the town people furnish the necessaries of life, and in turn are furnished other equally needed necessaries by this class of citizens. The majority of the business houses are of brick, and in them will be seen excellent stocks of goods. There are two mills and two elevators. These latter ship on an average forty car-loads of grain per month, principally to the Chicago market. The Illinois Midland Railroad was completed in the autumn of 1872, and crosses the Chicago & Alton here, giving the town a northern and southern outlet, as well as an eastern and western. Its advantages are certainly of the best, and it only remains for its citizens to improve them to secure one of the best towns in Central Illinois.
[History of Logan County, Illinois, 1878; transcribed by cddd]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.