Raymond C. Clevenger
Cashier of the Williamsburg State Bank, Williamsburg, Kan., is a young man whose active business career thus far has been identified wholly with the banking business, and in that line of financiering he has that business ability and accurate judgment which adapt him to it. He was born in Lincoln, Ill., Jan. 1, 1882, ---. J. and Belle S. (Schrei) Clevenger, the father having been ---. with banking interests in Kansas practically since 1883, at --- time he came from Illinois to this state, though a native of New ---ey. He was identified with the Everest State Bank, Everest, Kan., for fifteen years, then moved to Gallatin, Mo., where he engaged in banking five years, at the end of which time he returned to Topeka where he is now a director of the Central National Bank. He and his family are members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church at Topeka. Politically he is a Republican and active in the party's affairs but has never sought official preferment. Joshua, the grandfather of Raymond C., was of foreign birth and came to Everest, Kan., in 1883, where he lived for sometime but his death occurred in Lawrence in 1905.
Raymond C. of this review received his education in the public schools of Everest, Kan.,, and Warrensburg and Gallatin, Mo., with one year of collegiate work in the law department of the University of Kansas. He began his business career in the First National Bank of Gallatin, Mo., where he continued for three years and then was employed for one year in the National Bank of Commerce at Kansas City., followed by three years as cashier in the People's State Bank of Harris, Kan. In 1908 he became cashier of the Williamsburg State Bank, which has a capital of $20,000, and a surplus and undivided profits of $8,000. In 1903 Mr. Clevenger was united in marriage to Era Poage, daughter of Howard Poage, a retired merchant of Gallatin, Mo. Mr. and Mrs. Clevenger have two children: Louise, who is in school, and Raymond Charles, Jr. They are members of the Methodist church and Mr. Clevenger affiliates fraternally with the Masonic order, being a member of Anchor Lodge No. 224, Williamsburg, Kan., Zion Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, at Garnett, Kan., and the Knights Templars Commandary at Ottawa, Kan. In community affairs he is deeply interested, giving hearty cooperation in any movement for the general good, and has served on the city council. Both Mr. and Mrs. Clevenger have the high esteem of all in their community. [Source: "Kansas Biography", Vol. III, Part 2, 1912, Pgs: 1004-1005 -Transcribed as written by Millie Mowry] (Note: Where -----. the page were torn.)
Helen Rankin Copp
Mrs. Helen Rankin Copp, sculptor, born in Atlanta, Logan county, Ill., 4th August, 1853. She is descended from Scotch and German ancestors, who took a leading part in freeing America from the British yoke and from the curse of slavery. Her paternal grandfather, John Rankin, was one of the organizers of the Abolition movement. From her earliest childhood she dreamed of art. Stories and histories of artists were her favorite reading, and she tried to work out her dreams. It was weary labor, for the result was so far from her ideal. The few pictures the little country town afforded were but dreary disappointments. When she was five years old, her parents moved to Loda, Ill., where she passed her childhood and early womanhood. At the age of eighteen she attended the opening of the Chicago Exposition and for the first time saw a work of art. She returned home with renewed hope to the work of finding a way in the dark. In 1874 she became the wife of W. H. Copp, of Wolfboro, N. H., then engaged in the mercantile business in Loda. In 1884 they moved to Pullman, Ill., with one son, leaving four sons lying in the little prairie cemetery. The years of working in the dark were ended. In 1888 Mrs. Copp entered the Art Institute of Chicago. There she soon discovered that sculpture was her forte. Abandoning all thoughts of painting, she plunged into the study of modeling and anatomy with a desperation born of the knowledge that half a lifetime was gone. Entering upon her work at an age when most artists begin to achieve success, she rapidly surmounted all difficulties,, allowing herself no rest, even in vacation, and carrying off the honors of her class, until 1890, when she received the only medal ever given by the Art Institute for sculpture. Her instructor said that she had accomplished ten years' work in three. Mrs. Copp then established a studio in Chicago. She has modeled portraits of a number of prominent citizens of that city, besides many ideal works. [Source: "American Women, Fifteen Hundred Biographies" Vol. 1, by Frances Elizabeth Willard & Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Publ. 1897. Tr by M. Snow]
J. B. Jones
Prominent among the successful farmers and stock growers and dealers of Neosho county is J. B. Jones, of Walnut Grove township. He came to Kansas when but a youth of eighteen and has consequently resided within its confines more than a third of a century. Although his birth and early training occurred elsewhere, he is essentially a Kansan and possesses all the elements of enterprise and thrift and push of the best of his calling. He was born in Logan county, Illinois, August 23, 1849, a son of a pioneer to that state who was twice in his life a settler upon the frontier of civilization. When Larkin Jones, our subject's father, was four years old his father and mother emigrated from Kentucky and took up their residence in Illinois. In that state Larkin Jones was married to Sarah Bodkin, an Ohio lady, who bore him seven sons and four daughters, nine of whom are living. The parents resided in Illinois and were successful tillers of the soil there, in a small way, till 1867 when they left the prairie state and reached Kansas on the 29th day of October. They settled near Osage Mission where they improved a new farm and achieved a still greater success in the raising of grain and stock than in Illinois. The parents spent their last few years in retirement in Walnut, dying there, the father on August 2, 1899, at seventy-seven and the mother twenty-three days later, at seventy-one years of age.
J. B. Jones was the third son of Larkin Jones and wife and was given such meager schooling as fell to the lot of the sons of pioneers. In 1868 he staked off the claim which is now included within the area of his farm and, with characteristic energy and youthful ambition, set about its improvement and surface development. It was the 11th day of June of 1868 that the work of improvement began and then he found himself one of a very few settlers in his township. There was everything present to remind one of the outskirts of civilization, the roving and worthless Indian, the wolf, deer, and other wild game. From 1868 till 1872, April 7, our subject maintained a bachelor's ranch. He did the work of the field by day and the work of the domicile at night. On the latter date he was married to Miss Rosanna Burns, a native of the same state with himself. They were permitted to live in each other's company and confidence only ten years when death claimed the wife on the anniversary of their marriage, leaving Charles H., Estella and Ernest L. as her living issue. On the 20th of January, 1885, Mr. Jones married Miss Honore McCarty, a daughter of William and Mary (Shine) McCarty, and born in Illinois on the 11th of December, 1861. June 4, 1870, her parents came to Kansas and have resided here the remainder of their lives. The issue of this second marriage was six children of whom Alice T., Joseph B. and Sarah M. survive. For some years Mr. Jones has been a buyer, feeder and shipper of stock. He handles up into hundreds during the course of a. year and in the first half of 1901 he sold more than five thousand dollars worth in the Kansas City market. Considering that this record is one of a youth who started in life practically penniless and who, by his own industry and business judgment, has acquired a title to two hundred and forty acres of fine soil, well improved, well tilled and well stocked, it is a most creditable showing and one which the coming generations would do well to emulate. In politics Mr. Jones is a Democrat. He has been elected to fill the offices of clerk and treasurer of his township, each two terms, and is regarded as one of the highly honorable and substantial citizens of his county. He is the father of ten children, six now living. He is a workman by practive [sic] and association, for he belongs to Walnut lodge of the Ancient Order of United workmen. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
John J. Kline
A pioneer farmer of Hamilton County (Nebraska) was John J. Kline and his death which occurred March 14, 1914, came as a severe shock to his many friends. A native of Ohio he was born in Portage County in 1848, a son of John and Margaret (May) Kline. John J. Kline was but eight years of age at the time of his father's death and at that early age began to assume responsibilities. He obtained such education as was afforded in the country schools of Ohio, and when seventeen years of age learned the carpenter's trade which line of work he followed until the removal of the family to Illinois, when he was a young man. He farmed rented land in that state where his marriage occurred in 1875 and in 1880 Mr. Kline and his family came west. The trip was made by train and they settled in Hamilton County in 1883, buying one hundred and sixty acres of land whereon he built a small frame house, shed and stable and made additional improvements. He planted an orchard but this largely died out as the result of the droughts of '93 and '94. He was a very successful farmer and increased his holdings from time to time until he had a fine ranch of two hundred and forty acres in section 32, Scoville Township. He was a man of great energy and determination and allowed no obstacle, however great, long to remain in his path.
In 1875, while residing in Illinois, Mr. Kline was married to Miss Bertha Horschler, a native of Mount Pulaski, Logan county, that state. Her parents were Melchior and Mary (Young) Horschler. Twelve children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Kline: Anthony H., whose death occurred at the age of twenty-three years; George, engaged in farming in Hamilton County; Lena, who is the wife of William Wonderlich, a farmer of Hamilton County; Katherine L., at home; Ralph, who passed away at the age of two years; Cecelia, at home; Daniel E., farming in Hamilton County; Elmer, who died in infancy; Mary L., who is the wife of Cyril Wonderlich, a farmer of Hamilton County; Clara M., who is Sister Leonarda at St. Anthony's School, Cedar Rapids, Nebraska; Francisca, who is Sister Francis Dominick in the St. Agnes Academy at Memphis, Tennessee; and Irene, who is also a nun, being known as Sister Theodore and is at St. Patrick's School, Fremont, Nebraska. Throughout his life Mr. Kline was a stanch democrat, having firm faith in the principles of that party as factors in good government. Fraternally he was well known as a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Royal Highlanders and the Knights of Columbus. His religious faith was that of the Catholic Church and he was a member of the St. Joseph church at Giltner. Having had but few educational advantages himself, Mr. Kline was a fervent worker in furthering any movement along that line and he served as school treasurer for a period of twenty- seven years. He was also for many years road overseer of the precinct. The greater part of Mr. Kline's life was devoted to farming and he became well known and an influential leader in the community. His death, March 14, 1914, was an occasion of deep sorrow throughout the vicinity, for in his passing Hamilton county lost a representative citizen. [Source: History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska; Supervising Editors George L. Burr, O.O. Buck ; Compiled by Dale P. Stough By George L. Burr, O. O. Buck, Dale P. Stough (Published 1921) pages 245-246; MZ - Sub by FoFG]
Calvin Leach, a son of John H. and Elizabeth Leach, was born on Feb. 25, 1816 in Anderson County, Tennessee. His parents had a family of six children, five of whom are still yet living -- Calvin, Sarah, Mary, Nancy, and Minerva. John is deceased. He was a soldier in the United States army during the Mexican War. Our subject was about ten years old when his parents left his native state and settled in Washington County, Indiana, remaining there for many years. The parents subsequently died while on their way to Missouri. Calvin Leach was married June 14, 1839 in Indiana, to Frances B. Hise, who was born March 25, 1821, a native of Kentucky. She was a daughter of George and Nancy Hise, who settled in Washington County, Indiana, in an early day. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Leach -- John T., Peter B., Fielding I., William H., Charles D., Mary E., Nancy E, Sarah J., and Rachel M. The last three are deceased. Mr. Leach moved with his family to Logan County, Illinois in the fall of 1856, and in the fall of 1865 he settled on his present farm in the northern part of Eminence Township. In politics he is a Democrat. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church." [Source: "The History of Logan Co." - Submitted by Nancy Leach Canzoneri (Calvin Leach was the gr-gr-grandfather of Nancy)]
John J. McCowan
Neosho and Wilson counties are admirably adapted to both farming and the raising of stock and their earnest, enterprising settlers have demonstrated the truth of this assertion by the accumulation of large landed estates and by the number and quality of the cattle annually shipped to the markets of the east. Instead of the small farmer, as of old, land barons are springing up in every township of the two counties whose estates number far into the hundreds of acres of land and stamp their owners as especially thrifty and successful and leaders in their honorable avocation. Conspicuous among those, and a gentleman whose residence in Neosho county almost entitles him to the distinction of being a pioneer, is John J. McGowan of this review. He came to Kansas in 1872 and took up a quarter of land on the west side of Neosho county which he patented and which formed the nucleus of his now splendid and extensive estate.
Mr. McCowan was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, of parents John and Elizabeth (Weik) McCowan. His birth occurred on the 12th of February, 1830 and when he was yet very young his father died leaving him the only child. His raising fell to the lot of an uncle, David Robb, an illiterate hard-working farmer, who moved out to Carroll county, Ohio, where our subject grew up and was educated. The latter was most sparingly done for there was little time for anything but labor, in the eves of his thrifty and exacting uncle. He settled in Logan county, Illinois, moving there in the spring of 1862 and abandoned blacksmithing, a trade which he learned in Carroll county, Ohio. Here he engaged in farming and, after awhile, the buying and shipping of stock, continuing both till his departure for Kansas. One of his first acts on coming to Neosho county was to start a bunch of cattle and he soon got into the business of shipping here. As he prospered he extended his business until he became well known and widely, over all the surrounding country. In later years he took his son into partnership with him and the two are among the strong firms of dealers and shippers in the county. Each has extended the limits of his homestead. In 1899 drillers prospecting for oil and gas tapped a valuable flow of gas on Mr. McCowan's farm, and also found an encouraging show of oil. An inexaustible [sic] bed of shale was opened up on his farm and this fact, combined with the abundant supply of gas, encouraged the organization of a stock company for the maufacture [sic] of brick. Of this company Mr. McCowan is a heavy stockholder and the investment has proven to be one of the best on his list. Although limitedly learned in books, Mr. McCowan possesses rare business judgment and keen foresight and has been peculiarly fortunate in identifying himself with enterprises which return a good profit. At seventy-two he is as active and takes the lead in his work just as he did at fifty, notwithstanding his affluence would justify his retirement. It is as essential to him that he get into his herd of Herefords and to personally inspect the other important interests of his farm as it is that he have such interests and this disposition will remain with him till the curtain is drawn and the shades of night settle down to eternal sleep.
Mr. McGowan married Elizabeth, a daughter of Captain Hutson, a Mexican war veteran. Mrs. McGowan was born in 1832 and is the mother of three children, namely, Elizabeth, wife of Berry Wilson, of Los Angeles, California; Alice, wife of Walter Greasy, of Joplin, Missouri, and John, one of the leading farmers of Neosho county. Tioga township has few more successful and substantial men than is Mr. McGowan. Left an orphan in the morning of life, at its noontide he is completely absorbed in the work for which he was fitted and in the evening of life he is the proud possessor of a record of things accomplished and done and the esteemed of a wide circle of friends. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
William L. Pattison
Orphaned by the death of his mother when he was one year old and that of his father five years later, and thus thrown upon the attentions of others for rearing and preparation for life's usefulness, William L. Pattison was not favored by circumstances in his start, and he has not depended on fortune's favors for advancement at any subsequent stage of his career. He was born in Logan county, Illinois, on January 26, 1853, and is the son of Daniel and Laura (Harcourt) Pattison, natives of Indiana. There were seven children in the family, five of whom are living, Hannah, wife of Grandson Dawson; John; Elizabeth, wife of Philander Semico; Jennie, wife of Frank Hackley; and William L. The mother died in 1854 and the father in 1859. When but a boy William was put to work in his own behalf and thereafter was employed at various kinds of labor in his native state until 1868. He then moved to Winfield, Kansas, and during the next three years he farmed in that vicinity with indifferent success. In 1871 he came to Colorado and, locating at Colorado Springs, furnished logs under contract until 1874, when he moved to Middle Park. Here for ten years he followed mining and prospecting with many successes and reverses. In 1884 he took up his residence at Trappers' Lake and there conducted a summer resort until 1893, at which time he homesteaded one-half of his present ranch, which now comprises three hundred and twenty acres, two hundred of which are yielding good crops of the usual farm products grown in this region under his careful and systematic cultivation. He also raises cattle to a profitable extent. The ranch is twenty-nine miles east of Meeker, and is pleasantly and advantageously located. In the fraternal life of the community Mr. Pattison takes an earnest and serviceable interest as a member of the Woodman of the World and the Odd Fellows, and politically he is a cordial supporter of the Republican party. He was married on April 13, 1884, to Miss Laura Spurgeon, a native of Virginia. They have two children, Pearl and Lyton. Both parents are far from the scenes and association of their childhood, but they have established a pleasant home in this state, and they find the conditions of life around them and the field for enterprise in which they are located agreeable, and in consequence they are devoted to the welfare of Colorado and among its useful and respected citizens. Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by K. M.]