HISTORY OF THE ANTIOCH CHRISTIAN
Joel Skelton (resident of Eureka), the three Huston brothers (evangelists
and organizers) and Allan Harvey Trowbridge meet at the home of Mr. and Mrs.
Jonas L. Ball to work on a list of prospective church members. Remain at
the Ball home for 1 week.
1st meeting was called in the Ball home. Consisted of preaching, prayer,
singing and observance of the Lord's supper.
New members began holding meetings in family homes.
Later began meeting in the Palmer School.
June 7, 1864
Plot of land is given to church by Jonas and Elizabeth Ball to be used for
church site and burial ground.
Public meeting is called to consider building a church. 66 adults were
present. Voted immediately to begin building.
Church is built at current location of Antioch cemetery.
Name chosen for organizatin is the "Antioch Christian Church"
Charter members are: Trowbridge, Bennington, Stevenson, Carrithers,
Boners, Hall, Fetter, Skelton, Shanklin, Heckwith, Miller, Sutton, Pomeroy,
Stratton and Ball.
1864 - 1890
Church dedication ceremony is preached by Leroy Skelton (ordained at Eureka
College in 1863).
Church has no resident pastor. A.H. Trowbridge, William Carrithers,
J.Q.A. Houston, John McCune, George Taylor, John Lidsay, Perry Hogue, J.
Carrol Stark, R.A. Gilcrist, Bro. Berry, F.M. Parker, T.H. Meridith and J.W.
Hiatt took turns preaching.
The church receives its first coat of paint for a wedding.
1890 - 1896
Church is moved to "Old Town".
S.D. Vauter becomes first minister at new location.
S.S. Lappin follows Vauter and is minister for two years. During ministry,
a Ladie's Aid Society and Missionary Society is organized.
First parsonage is built. SS. Lappin brought his bride, Clara Brock
to new parsonage.
D.W. Misener is minister. Church votes to build a new church.
New church is built on the corner of Oak Street and Topeka Avenue by
Harry C. Holmes.
Old church is sold to the First Baptist Church of Toluca
March 1, 1896
New church is dedicated. Ministers from Rutland and Pattonsburg participate.
Rev. B.J. Radford of Eureka preaches the dedication sermon.
Church is free of debt at the time of dedication.
First parsonage is sold.
New parsonage is built next to new church
The Antioch Christian Church and parsonage - Early 1900's
Courtesy of Nelle Yvonne (nee Timlin) Mastalio
New basement is added under the church
New heating plant is purchased.
Interior of church is modernizes and redecorated.
A organ is installed in the sanctuary as a memorial to the service men.
Parsonage is remodeled.
The $17,000 of improvements were paid for in full one month following the
rededication February 15, 1948.
Spinet piano, outdoor bulletin board, foundation plantings, fire escape and
garage are added to church.
Missionary effort is expanded
Church is giving approximately 35% of its annual income for missions.
Funds are being accumulated toward eventual new construction.
Taken about 1960 - Antioch Christian Church
Courtesy of Nelle Yvonne (nee Timlin) Mastalio
Ocober 20 - 21, 1962
Antioch Christian Church observes the Centennial of its founding.
Speakers are Mr. Melvin Fiscus, Creve Couer Christian Church; Mr. Hugh York,
Central Christian Church, Beloit, Wisconsin; Mr. Leon Appel, Lincoln Christian
Church, Lincoln, Illinois
New church is built
Old church is torn down and used for building materials.
New parsonage is purchased
Old parsonage is sold to Keith Mastalio
Ministers of Antioch Christian Church, Toluca, Illinois
Ministers serving while the church was located in the Cemetery.
|A. H. Trowbridge
J. Q. A. Houston
W. P. Carrithers
|J. Carroll Stark
R. A. Gilcrist
F. m. Parker
J. W. Hiatt
T. H. Meridith
Ministers serving while the church was located in the "Old Town"
|S. D. Vauter 1890-1892
S. S. Lappin 1892-1894
|D. W. Misener 1894-1895
Harry Holmes 1895-1896
Ministers serving while the church was located at Oak and Topeka
|A. R. Adams
G. W. Thomas
Charles Dean 1902-1903
S. P. Telford 1904-1906
F. M. Morgan 1907-1908
Rome G. Jones 1908-1909
W. T. Jelly 1909-1910
W. Jolly 1910-1911
J. T. Moore 1911-1912
A. L. Larson 1913-1916
Charles Shipplett 1916-1920
Roy E. Miller 1920-1923
J. Fred Jones 1923-1925
J. E. Hedrick 1925-1926
J. W. Camp 1926-1927
|Stanley Shippey 1927-1929
Frank Yancey 1929-1933
A. L. Reed 1934
Nate Crabtree 1935-1944
Burl H. Candler 1943-1944
Leon Appel 1944-1950
Hugh York 1950-1953
Howard Roseberry 1954-1957
Melvin Fiscus 1957-1959
Virgil Hurley 1960-1965
Gerald Rupert 1965-1966
Walter Puckertt 1967-1968
Byron Black 1969-1970
Ministers Serving at the present location - 700 N. Main Street
|Byron Black 1970-1974
Phillip Poe 1974-1977
Paul Clark 1977-1978
|Paul Williams 1978-1980
Marvin Flowers 1980-1983
Keith Ray 1983-1990
Robert Idell 1990 to present
Back to Marshall County
Illinois History and Genealogy