Marshall County Court House, Lacon, IL

donated by Dawn Coen

Marshall County Court House

A movement toward constructing a Court House was begun in June and in December (1839) a contract was entered with White & Shepherd, of Tremont, for putting up a building with stone foundations and brick superstructure, 40x55 feet, for $8,000. It stood fourteen years, and burned down January 5, 1853, through a defect in one of the chimneys. The present edifice was built in 1854, by two Peoria firms and cost $7,300. This building was entirely remodeled and rebuilt and greatly enlarged in 1893, to what it is at present in 1906.  - Past and Present of Marshall County, 1907, by John Spencer Burt,  Page 27 - Transcribed by Nancy Piper

Back to Marshall County Illinois History and Genealogy