| C. E. Abbott.
Mr. Abbott was born in the State of Maine in 1844, moved to Albany. New York in 1859, where he studied his profession with his brother, J H. Abbott, the noted and leading photographer in the city, and later of Chicago, where he had a large establishment at the corner of Washington and State. Mr. Abbott came to Henry in 1877, and at once secured a very fine business. In 1866 he wedded Louisa Held, born in Boonville, New York. He has instruments for all sorts of views, and is an accomplished artist, as his work testifies.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 702 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
| H. J. Adams
Mr. Adams is superintendent of the County poor farm and was born in Prussia, Germany in 1820. He came to the United States with his parents when ten years old, and located in Ohio, where he remained until 1857 and then came to Lacon, Marshall County, Ill. In 1849 he married Ann Holt, born in Shadfield, England. They have six children,-Anna A. (Mrs. Moreland), Rosena A. (Mrs. Sands), Edward A., Martin A., Una Bell and John B. Mr. A. is a member of the Masonic order and I. O. O. F., and has been for thirty years. He has been superintendent of the County poor farm since 1876, filling the position to the satisfaction of all concerned. Both himself and wife are eminently qualified for the place, and while the dictates of humanity prevail they will he continued.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 752 Steuben Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
| David Aitchison
Mr. Aitchison was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1833. He came to the United States in 1855, and located in McHenry County, Ill., and moved to Marshall County in 1863. He married Miss Agnes Shearer in 1869, born in Ayrshire, Scotland. Their children are Elizabeth, David S., Mary, Gracie, Kate and Henry. They are members of the U, P. Church. He has served as path-master and school director, and owns 80 acres of land, which he has substantially and tastefully improved, with good buildings handsomely located. Like most of his countrymen in La Prairie, he is energetic and indefatigable in the prosecution of his business, hence successful. He is a pleasant gentleman and a good citizen.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 748 La Prairie Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Mr. Albertson is a carpenter and builder, born in Rensselaer County. New York, in 1817, where he learned his trade and lived until 1841, when he went to Texas, and thence to New Orleans, Cincinnati and St. Louis, and bringing up at Peoria in 1843. Here he remained until 1852 and then came to Henry. In 1844 he married Sarah J. Johnson, born in Indiana, by whom he has eight children - Elizabeth S., E. B., S. J., E. F., Lois, Nellie, Adelbert and Teady. He was a farmer for several years, but has followed his present occupation all his life.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 697 Henry Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
| John Algoe
Mr. Algoe is a farmer living on section 32. He was born in County Donegal, Ireland, in 1826, and came to the United States in 1846, locating in Marshall County, He married Miss Ann Boyd in 1856, a native of the same County in Ireland as himself. They have two children, George and Martha J. They are members of the U. P. church. He owns 80 acres of land in a high state of cultivation, and is a public-spirited, liberal man.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 719 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Mr. Allen was horn in New York City in 1823. Came west with his uncle, and landed at Quincy in 1835, living in Adams County until 1850, when he went to California and remained about, two years. He came where he now resides in 1853. He married Miss Cecilia M Cross in 1867. She was born in Pennsylvania, and when two years old came to Dixon, having made the trip from Pennsylvania in a one-horse wagon, Her father is a minister in the Baptist church. They moved to Rutland in 1860. They have three children,-Charles A., Grace M. and Mary E. Are members of the M. E. church. He has been school director several years, is clerk of the board, and trustee of the M. E. church. Miss Amelia Allen is residing with her brother. He owns 360 acres of land, all improved. He was in Evans before the I. C. R. R. was in operation. There were no houses in Wenona when he came there-only the railroad company houses. His farm was run for several years without fences.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 723-724 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
|Owen W. Allen
Owen W. Allen, although now living in Henry, is still the owner of valuable farming property comprising three hundred and ninety acres in Putnam county. He was born in Putnam country, Illinois, in 1851 and is a son of James and Rosanna (Cassell) Allen, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania......... In 1873 Mr.Allen was married to Miss Mary J. Edwards, who was born in Putnam county, Illinois, in 1853, a daughter of William and Mary Edwards and pioneer settlers of Putnam county, where they took up their abode about the time of the Black War, entering land from the government......... Mr. and Mrs. Allen have no children of their own but have been very generous in providing for the support of others. They hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and exemplify their faith in their daily works and in their relations with their fellowmen. Mr. Allen is a republican with firm faith in the principles of the party, and in matters of citizenship he is public spirited and loyal. He has found in an active and honorable business career that success is ambition's answer.
Taken From the Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois by John Spencer Burt and W.H. Hawthorne Chicago, The Pioneer Publishing Company 1907 Page 332, 333
|S. G. Allen
Mr. Allen was born in Sangamon County. IlI,, in 1828, and came to this County in 1857. He married Miss Emily C. Cundiff, in 1853. She was born in Virginia. They have four children -O. G., Bertha F., Hattie E. and Dora. Mrs. Allen is a member of the M. E. church. He is a member of the state grange, and owns 240 acres of land in Evans Township, in a good state of cultivation.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 712 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Taken From the Henry Republican, March 4, 1875
Mr. Andrews was born in New York city, but emigrating to Fulton county in this state in 1841, he has been an Illinoisan for about 34 years. He was in the Mexican war, a member of the 4th regiment, under Col. E.D. Baker, who was killed at Bullís Bluff during the rebellion; was with Gen. Taylor at Corpus Christi, and went to re-enforce Major Brown at Point Iabella; crossed the Rio Grande, and was in the battle of Camarge, getting off without a scratch; was with Gen. Scott at Vera Cruz, and in the campaign against the city of Mexico, though sent home before the surrender, as his term of enlistment had expired. He was in the celebrated battle of Cerro Gordo, where his regiment won renown for capturing Santa Annaís wooden leg, as also the fight at National Bridge, and proved himself a brave and fearless man and a good soldier.
At the close of this war he moved to Henry, in 1855, having in his possession a military land warrant for meritorious service in the Mexican campaign, which he located on the quarter section he has resided on since, where he built a fine house, and ornamented it, making it one of the finest homesteads in Whitefield township.
When the rebellion broke out he was one of the first to enlist, joining the 47th reg. Ill. vols. under Col. Bryner, and subsequently promoted to a captaincy. He was in the campaign with Gen. Fremont in Missouri, was with the army at New Madrid and Island No. 10 under Gen. Pope, and with the latter went to re-enforce Gen. Halleck at Corinth. With Gen. Rozencranz he was in the battle of Iuka, and in fighting the second battle at Corinth, was wounded and taken prisoner. Prison life did not agree with him, and he became sick, and when exchanged was forced to resign on account of ill health. He came home, got well under good nursing and rest, and raising a company with a captainís commission, formed the 151st regiment near the close of the war, and was assigned to provost duty, guarding railroads, etc., until honorably discharged from the service after five years enlistment.
Returning home and to peaceful pursuits, the people did not forget his patriotic services, and elected him twice to the office of county treasurer of Marshall county, a place he filled to the acceptance of the constituency. At both of these elections he ran far ahead of the republican ticket, which is ample evidence of his popularity as a man, and worth as a citizen. At one time during his term of office the supervisors ordered the payment of compound interest on the old Air Line bonds, and those holding the bonds were very clamorous for it. He investigated the matter, and believing such claims fraudulent, he would not pay them, even at the behest of the supervisors, and though severely censured at the time, he remained steadfast to his convictions, the supreme court finally deciding he was right, and that the supervisors had superceded their authority. By this act he saved the county $2400.
Mr. Andrews was a gentlemen of the generous type, frank, hearty, cordial and agreeable. He had a delightful home, and he made it so by his sunny disposition as well as by his means. His acquaintance was large, and his foes were few. He was a strong, consistent, unwavering republican; firm as adamant when once convinced, but aiming to be and to do right. The county and community are thrown into deep grief by this sudden, untoward event. He was an Odd Fellows, a member of Clayton lodge, (at Sparland,) and also a member of Lacon encampment, at the time of his demise.
The funeral was held at the Methodist church, in Whitefield, yesterday, at 11 a.m., and was a very large one, considering the fearful snow storm that raged violently all day, and but for the storm, it would have been undoubtedly, the largest ever held in that township. The sermon was preached by Rev. James Fleming, and was of a solemn, impressive character. Two other ministers assisted in the services. The burial rite of Odd Fellowship was used, the order being represented by members, from Henry, Lacon and Sparland. A wife and six children survive him. With the honors of a well spent life, he has gone to his reward. His good works will live after him.
Mr. Antrim was born in New Jersey. July 21st 1808, and came to Marshall County in 1853. He married Jane Hinds in 1840, born in Ohio, February 11th. 1821. They have nine children,-Elizabeth A., Francis, John A., Amanda, Mary, Thomas, James H., Minard and Richard. Mr. Antrim lives on section 26, and has 80 acres of land under good cultivation.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 732 Hopewell Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Belle Plain Township, Marshall County, Ill.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 739 Belle Plain Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Mr. Applen was born in Peoria County, Ill., in 18l8 and moved to Henry, Marshall County, with his mother in 1851. He is a son of Job and Elizabeth Applen, who came to Peoria County in 1833. Mr. Applen, ar., died in 1850. Henry Applen married Mary Wilcox in 1869. She was born in New York in 1850. They have five children- Harry, Frank, Alice, William and Lane. Mr. Applen attends the M. E, Church. He owns 80 acres of land with good improvements. He is a good blacksmith and the ring of his hammer is heard early and late.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 758 Saratoga Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Mr. Appleton is a farmer living in Evans Township, section 35. and was born in Sweden in 1846, came to the United States in 1868, and located in Putnam County, where he married Matilda Colson in 1879. She was born in Sweden. He rents 160 acres. Like most of his countrymen Mr. Appleton is a good farmer, industrious and hard working. These are the elements of success and load to riches and honor.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 721 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Mr. Atchison was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1833 and came to the United States with his brother in 1855, and located first in McHenry County, and afterward in Marshall. He worked by the mouth tor some time, and then purchased his present farm. He married Miss Elizabeth Shearer, March 28, 1873. She was born in Ayrshire, Scotland. Four children have been given them-George F., Jane E., John H and William A. He owns 80 acres of land in a high state of cultivation, with good improvements.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 747 La Prairie Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Mr. Auth is a witchmaker and jeweler located and doing business in Lacon. He was born in the city of Fulda Hesse, Germany, in 1824, where he received a thorough classical education. He spent several years in traveling in France, Switzerland and England and came to this country in 1852 and visited nearly all the states in the Union as a professor of languages. He is an accomplished artist in his trade, having been brought up to that art of delicate manipulation by his father, who was a finished artisan of wide celebrity in his native land. Mr. Auth has added largely to his rich store of knowledge acquired in early life by close observation during his varied travels, his finished education greatly facilitating his efforts in that direction.
Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 683 Lacon Township. Transcribed by Nancy Piper
Mr. Axline was born in Loudon County, Va., in 1813. His father removed to Muskingum County, O., in 1826, when he was only 13 years old. Came to this County in 1854. In 1841 he married Miss Ann Street, who was born in Muskingum County, O. They have seven children.-John W., Catherine S., Theodore, Clara A., Daniel, Mary E. and Clarence A. Are members of the M. E. church. He has been school director six years. He and his whole family are members of the temperance society. He owns 336 acres of land, all improved, with good buildings. Few old families show a fairer record. Mr. E. is deservedly proud of his intelligent sons and daughters.
[Source: Record of Olden Times or 50 years on the Prairie, 1880, Page 723 Evans Township - Transcribed by Nancy Piper]
Aaron and Ann (Street) Axline
Daniel Axline, one of the leading farmers of precinct N., Seward county, Nebraska, was born on the 22nd of June, 1856, in Putnam County, Illinois and is a son of Aaron and Ann (Street) Axline and a grandson of Jacob and Tracy Street. At an early day his father located in Putnam County, Illinois, and from there removed to Marshall County, that state, where he purchased four eighty-acre tracts of land and engaged in farming until within three years of his death, which occurred in the autumn of 1884, when in his seventy-fourth year. In his family were seven children, namely: John W., Kate, Theodore, Clara A., Mary E., Clarence A. and Daniel, all of whom are married and have homes of their own.
The boyhood and youth of Daniel Axline were passed on his father's farm, where he remained until his marriage on the 22d of February 1877, Miss Mary Evangeline Horner becoming his wife. She was born in La Salle County, Illinois and they had been acquainted for about six years. Her father, James Horner, was a native of the north of Ireland, and when a lad of eight years was brought to the new world by his parents, John and Jane (Spears) Horner, who settled in Illinois about twenty-four miles north of Chicago, which at that time was only a small village on a wet prairie. There James Horner grew to manhood and married Miss Almira Angeline Day, who was born near Rome, Oneida County, New York. He was one of a family of nine children, six sons and three daughters, in order of their birth being as follows: Mary, James, William, David, John, Amos, Loftus, Eliza and Laura Jane. Mr. and Mrs. Horner removed to La Salle County Illinois, where Mrs. Axline was born, June 10, 1853, and attended the common schools, completing her education, however, in the high school of the city of Wenona, Illinois. She is the third in order of birth in a family of eight children, the others being as follows: Josephine, Thomas, Ida F., Delbert J., Grant W., Eddie D. and Ira S. With the exception of Grant W., who makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Axline, all are married and have good homes of their own.
For nine years after his marriage Mr. Axline engaged in agricultural pursuits upon one of his father's farms in Illinois, and then loading his effects into cars started for Seward County, Nebraska. Here, they located on a farm on section 25, precinct N, belonging to Mrs. Axline's father, and to its cultivation and improvement he had devoted his energies with marked success. Five children have come to brighten the home, namely: James H., Ida L., Laura I., Ernest R. and Oral D., who are still under the parental roof and are able assistants of their parents in the work of the house and fields. Mr. and Mrs. Axline take an active interest in every enterprise calculated to advance the moral, educational and material welfare of the community, and are recognized as valued and useful citizens of sterling worth and strict integrity.
[Source: Memorial and Biographical Record and Illustrated Compendium of Biography of Butler, Polk, Seward, York and Fillmore Counties, Nebraska, Geo. A. Ogle & Co. 1890]