B. Kilbourn Jackson
B. Kilbourn Jackson, of section 20, Richland township, has spent his entire life in Marshall county,and, as boy and man, has witnessed the many changes in transforming the wild prairie and heavy timber land into fine and productive farms and flourishing villages. (Parents Andrew Jackson and Mary Gray)
B. Kilbourn Jackson, of whom we now write, grew to manhood on the farm where he now lives, and received his education in the subscription schools of pioneer times, before the organization of the present school system. He remained at home assisting his father in the farm work until long after having attained his majority. The war for the union having commended his patriotic blood was stirred, and in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Seventy-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry under Captain Robert Brock, which was raised in Lacon and vicinity. The regiment was organized at Peoria under Colonel Balance, who was later succeeded by Colonel Grier.
After organization the regiment was sent to Cincinnati, and crossing the river to Covington, Kentucky, it operated in that state in the vicinity of Cynthiana, Paris, Richmond and Falmouth. It was then sent by boat to Vicksburg and was all through the siege against that city, resulting in its capitulation July 3, 1863, and in the opening of the Mississippi river below that point.
From Vicksburg the regiment was sent on the Red river expedition under General Banks, and at Alexandria, Louisiana, our subject was taken prisoner by the enemy, and from April 8, 1864 until May 27, 1865, passed through such an experience in rebel prisons as will ever be to him while life shall last a terrible nightmare. When finally released he was a veritable skeleton, and with health almost completely destroyed. On being released he was sent to New Orleans, then to St. Louis, and on to Springfield, Illinois, where he was mustered out and honorably discharged in July, 1865, having seen nearly three years of extremely hard service. In battle he had his clothes pierced by rebel bullets, but suffered no wound.
Returning home a badly wrecked man physically, he spent some little time recuperating, after which he again engaged in his old occupation of farming, which has been his life work. For some years after his return from the army he remained a bachelor, but on January 3, 1878, he was united in marriage with Miss Clara May Benson, who was born in Richland township, April 29, 1859, and a daughter of Luke Benson, now a resident of Oklahoma. By this union were born five children: Mary Elizabeth, Edith Jane, Benjamin Andrew, Annie Pearl and Luke Logan. The mother of these children died September 16, 1886. She was a woman of kind disposition, a loving wife and mother, and her death was sincerely mourned, not alone by the family, but friends of whom she had many.
After his marriage Mr. Jackson located upon a farm, where he remained until the death of his wife, when he moved to his present place then the home of his father and a sister. The farm comprises one hundred and ninety acres of highly productive land, and is under average improvement. While giving almost his entire time to his farm duties, Mr. Jackson has served his district as school director for some years, taking a very active interest in educational maters. Politically, he is a republican, and fraternally a member of Lacon post, No. 134, G.A.R. His record as a soldier is a commendable one, and as a citizen no man enjoys the respect of friends and acquaintances to a greater degree. -
The Biographical record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois., Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1896, Page 60-62- Transcribed by Nancy Piper
Andrew Jackson, the father of our subject (B. Kilbourn Jackson), was born in Barbersville, Kentucky, December 8, 1804, and was a son of John Jackson, one of the very early settlers of the blue grass state. He there grew to manhood, and moving to Indiana, there married Mary Gray, a native of Kentucky, born in 1803, and a daughter of John Gray, who moved to Marshall county early in the 1830's, but returned soon after to Indiana, where he spent the remainder of his life.
In the spring of 1835, Andrew Jackson with his family moved to Marshall county, coming by teams from their Indiana home, and bringing with them a number of head of cattle, sheep and other stock. On his arrival he purchased the farm on section 20, Richland township, which is now owned by James Irwin, but which he subsequently sold to Mr. Hoover. On selling his first land he purchased the farm now owned by our subject, which he made his permanent home.
On coming to this county Mr. Jackson found a wild and unimproved country with settlers few and far between. With characteristic energy he went to work to clear the land and make for himself and family a home. Those now living in this favored locality cannot for a moment realize the hardships endured by the pioneers. When it is remembered that railroads were then unknown, that there were neither markets for what was raised, nor money to be had if a market was found, some idea may be formed of the sufferings of those who were the harbingers in the wilderness.
Two years after his settlement here the panic of 1837 set in and until after the campaign of 1840 times were indeed hard. Postage on letters was twenty-five cents each and one was lucky to obtain the coveted "quarter" with which to pay it, and often letters remained in possession of the postmaster for months until even that small amount of money could be obtained. Frequently Mr. Jackson went into the timber and split rails for his more fortunate neighbors for fifty cents per hundred, taking his pay in whatever article that could be agreed upon.
In the early days Andrew Jackson was quite active in local affairs, and assisted in the organization of the township, and served for a time as township supervisor. He was once elected justice of the peace, but declined to serve. In politics he was a whig until the dissolution of that party, after which he was a thorough and consistent republican, being conscientiously opposed to slavery.
To Andrew Jackson and wife were born five children: Mary Ann, who died at the age of two years; Elizabeth M., now deceased; Margaret, now the wife of James Monaghan; Catherine, deceased, and B. Kilbourn, of this sketch. The parents were members of the Christian church, in which body the father took an active part. He was a man well versed in the scriptures and the various religious problems of the day. Both died on the old homestead, the father July 28, 1888, and the mother March 17, 1881.
The Biographical record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois., Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1896, Page 60-61- Transcribed by Nancy Piper
Squire Thomas JUDD
The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, Published in Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1896. - Marshall county Biographical extractions pages 100-199
Transcribed March 2011 by Norma Hass
Squire Thomas JUDD, deceased, was a citizen of Evans township, where, as a leader among men, his memory is held in reverence and honor. He was one of the earliest pioneers of Marshall county, settling with his parents upon the old Judd farm on Sandy creek in 1831, and in this county made his home until his death, which occurred on the 1st of February, 1892. During those years he was very influential in public affairs, as by his strong force of character and undoubted integrity he early gained the confidence of the people, who saw in him a man they could trust as a guide and well fitted to hold public office. His death has left a vacancy hard to be filled, and was considered a severe blow to the material and moral interests of the community.
Squire JUDD was born in Ashe county, North Carolina, May 26, 1827, and was only four years old when brought to Marshall county, where he was reared on a farm and received an ordinary district school education. He began teaching in Evans township, which at that time was Sandy precinct of La Salle county. On the 31st of October, 1851, his marriage with Miss Mary A. DILLMAN was celebrated. She was born in Brown county, Ohio, August 16, 1830, and is a daughter of Frederick and Mary (TURNER) DILLMAN, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Maryland. With her parents she came to La Salle county, Illinois, in 1844, locating three miles east of Magnolia, where they made their home until 1861, when they removed to Wenona, but both are now deceased.
After his marriage the squire lived for three years upon the old Judd homestead, but in 1854 removed to the northwest quarter of section 20, Evans township, which was then all raw prairie land, and the same summer erected a good frame dwelling. He made that place his permanent home, improving the land himself and made the farm one of the most desirable in this section of the county. In the early days he took his gain to Hall's landing on the Illinois river. He was purely a self-made man, having no advantages except those given him by nature, and his prominent characteristics - honesty, economy, temperance and industry - were no doubt important factors in his success.
Squire Judd was always an ardent democrat in politics, took an active part in local affairs, at the early age of twenty was elected justice of the peace, which office he creditably filled for many years, for a number of terms was supervisor of Evans township, also chairman of the board, was school director for a long period, and was once a candidate for representation, but as the district was strongly republican he was not elected. Socially, he held membership with the Masonic order, being a Royal Arch Mason, and was also prominently identified with the Grange for many years. He applied himself studiously to qualify himself for his after life, was looked up to by every one, and his advice was often sought. His remains now rest in the Cumberland cemetery.
Mrs. JUDD, who is a faithful member of the Presbyterian church, still survives her husband, and four of their seven children are also yet living. Francis Lee, who is residing in San Diego, California, married Lettie ASHLEY, of Kansas, and they have five children - Fannie, Pearl, John, Katie and Ashley. Mary E. is the wife of Joseph MILLER. John T., of Wenona, married Ella DUNLAP, and they have two children - Mabel Almeda and Roland DeWitt. Alfred, living on section 18, Evans township, wedded Annie L. BRENN, and they have three children - Ethel, Gertrude and Roscoe.
The only daughter, with her family, now resides on the old homestead on section 20, Evans township. She was married on the 16th of May, 1877, to Joseph MILLER, who was born in Carroll county, Ohio, September 10, 1851, and is the son of Abraham and Ruth (MISER) MILLER, the birth of the former occurring near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in 1818, and the latter in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, in 1826. His parents were married in the buckeye state, where they located upon a farm in Carroll county, but in 1865 became residents of Wenona, Illinois, where the father died in November, 1890. The mother is still living. In their family were four children, two of whom survive, the daughter being Mary, wife of Oliver WINGATE of Wenona, by whom she has seven children - C. S., Inez Dent, Willis Herbert, J. Roy, Jessie Grimes, Don and Florence.
Joseph Miller was educated in the public schools of Wenona, and in his younger years learned the trade of a painter, which he followed for some time. He and his excellent wife now have six children - Wallace M., Benjamin F., Thomas J., Bernard O., Frederick J. and Lena. He is prominently connected with the Masonic fraternity and Evans grange, No. 35, in which he has served as master, and is president of the Farmers' County institute. Politically, he votes independent of party ties, and has been called upon to act as a member of the local school board. Mrs. MILLER is a consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
Luther A. JONES
Luther A. JONES, deceased, was a native of New Hampshire, born at Hillsboro, November 15, 1811. He grew to manhood in his native state and received a limited education in its select schools. In 1836 he was united in marriage with Druzilla CALEF, and, with his young bride, came at once to Illinois, locating eventually on a farm in Cass county. He remained there, however, hut a short time, and then removed to Iowa, where he followed farming a few years, and then again returned to Cass county, where he resumed his farming operations. Later he removed to Beardstown, on the Illinois river, where he ran a steam ferry for a number of years and where his wife died in 1869, leaving four children, Sarah E., now wife of Frank W. TRACY, president of the First National Bank of Springfield, Illinois; Ann Eliza, wife of Louis WEAVER, now of Virginia; Emma F., a teacher in the Springfield high school, and Louis Arthur, a farmer of Bluff Spring, Illinois.
After the death of his first wife, Mr. JONES left Beardstown and removed to Henry, where he spent the remainder of his life. In November, 1872, he married Mrs. Eleanor W. WHITE, widow of John Bradshaw WHITE, of Henry. Mr. WHITE was born in Washington, Vermont, February 14, 1814, and December 30, 1841, there married Miss Eleanor W. CALEF, who was a cousin of Mrs. Druzilla JONES, their fathers being brothers. They came to Illinois shortly after their marriage and located on a farm in Whitefield township, seven miles from Henry. They started from their Vermont home in sleighs, but on arriving at Rochester, New York, exchanged their runners for wheels and continued on their journey. Mr. WHITE had made a visit to this locality some five years previously and had selected the land which he afterward purchased. He secured what he thought was government land, but it was found that there was a flaw in the title, and others made claim to the same tract. The case was placed in the hands of attorneys and stubbornly fought by claimants and contestants, but not settled until after the death of Mr. WHITE, when it was decided in favor of a claimant, the widow and her children thus losing all that had been invested and the result of years of toil. Realizing the uncertainty of his title, however, Mr. WHITE purchased another farm, on which the family moved. This farm, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, he commenced to improve, but in 1852 he rented the place and moved to Henry, where he engaged in the lumber trade, which business he continued until his death, October 30, 1852. To Mr. and Mrs. WHITE were born three children: Ellen Maria, now the wife of Ransom E GREGORY, residing at Pierce, South Dakota; John Burritt, who graduated at Knox College in 1867, and died February 11, 1868, at the age of twenty-one years, and Asa Orville, a farmer residing near Milford, Iroquois county, Illinois.
After the death of her husband, Mrs. WHITE returned to the farm, and with the assistance of her children continued to operate it until her marriage with Mr. JONES, when they located in Henry. She has since disposed of it and is now living in a pleasant home in the village, where she enjoys the respect and loving good will of the entire community. She is a consistent and devoted member of the New Jerusalem or Swedenborgian church at Henry, and well-grounded in the faith. Mr. JONES died January 25, 1893, in his eighty-second year. He was a man well liked in the community in which he resided and his death was mourned by a large circle of friends throughout Marshall and adjoining counties and also in his old home in Cass county.
[Source: The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, Published in Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1896. -Transcribed March 2011 by Norma Hass]
Back to Marshall County Illinois History and Genealogy