Genealogy Trails
Marshall County Illinois
Obituaries and Death Notices


 John W. Fair

February 19, 1880

John W. Fair, an old resident of Evans township, died at Ancona two weeks since.

Mrs. Fairchild

August 17, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican


Mrs. Fairchild, spoken of in our last, as laying very low, has since died. She leaves a husband and three small children, to mourn her loss. She was buried in the cemetery at Lostant.

Mrs. Alice Fairclaugh

May 8, 1873

In Whitefield, at the house of Eno Temple, May 3, Mrs. Alice Fairclaugh, aged 65 years.

Mrs. Barbara Faling

February 24, 1881

Mrs. Barbara Faling, the consort of the late Anton Faling, who has lived by herself, in rooms of her own house on Edwards street, for the past 10 years, died in her chair Saturday morning, yielding quietly to the infirmities of age. She had been slightly ill for two or three days, and the neighbors had been more or less with her. That morning she got up and took the rocking chair, feeling comfortable, giving no sign or symptom of approaching dissolution. She called for her usual cup of coffee, and quaffed it with her usual pleasure. There she sat, and without any warning to her attendant, her head resting on the back of the chair, she serenely and peacefully passed into that deep sleep, the sleep of death. On Monday forenoon the funeral was held, and the body interred in the new German cemetery. She leaves no children. Mrs. Henry Reavy of Putnam county is a sister, and several brothers and sisters, all well advanced in life, survive her. Mrs. John Chance of Magnolia is a daughter of Mr. Faling by a first wife. Her children, by will left by Mr. Faling inherit the house just vacated. Messrs. Michael and Frank Kleinhenz, the administrators, will close up her earthly affairs.

Mrs. Ellen M. Falkner


August 15, 1867

Died in this city, August 12th of consumption, Mrs. Ellen M., wife of Dr. T. L. Falkner in the 46th year of her age.

Joseph W. Falkner

March 22, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died at Ipava, Fulton county, March 19, of consumption, Joseph W., aged 28 years, son of Dr. T. L. Falkner, formerly of this city.

A telegram to O. H. Tyler, Tuesday morning, gave the sad news of the death of Joseph W. Falkner - another victim to consumption. He has been ailing all winter, staying at his father's, at Ipava, Fulton county, where he died. Mr. Falkner was a young man of uncommon promise; he was a student, and for some years had taught school; he was also licensed to preach by the M. E. church, and eventually undoubtedly would have gone into the ministry. He bore an excellent character, had a genial, sunny disposition, was very companionable, and made friends with all whom he met. His loss will be deeply deplored. The remains arrived at Henry last night, and the funeral solemnities will take place at the M. E. church this afternoon at two o'clock. The deceased, before his death, desired the obsequies to be conducted by Rev. Mr. Cummings of Hennepin, a favorite minister, who will be present and officiate. The body will be interred in our cemetery, in a family lot beside a mother and sister, who died several years ago.

Anton Falling


November 17, 1870

Died in the city, Nov. 15, of cancer, Anton Falling, aged 62 years.

Mary Elizabeth Faris

Taken From the Marshall County Telegraph

November 11, 1865

Died in Whitefield township, November 8, Mary Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Rev. Wenea Faris, aged 1 years and 7 months.

Mrs. Ellen Virginia Faris

April 6, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died in Saratoga township, March 20, of consumption at the house of Mrs. Mary Faris, the mother-in-law, Ellen Virginia, aged 26 years, 5 months and 27 days, wife of James C. Faris.

We chronicle the death this week of the wife of James C. Faris, who died of quick consumption in Saratoga township a couple of weeks since. She was born in Claysville, Pa., and was married to Mr. Faris Sept. 25, 1867. The eight years of wedded life had been very affectionate, and a warm attachment existed between Mr. and Mrs. Faris. The death has bereft a husband of a devoted wife, and three little children, the youngest but three months, of a tender mother to provide for and rear them. Mr. Faris is almost disconsolate. He has a farm in Iowa, to which he will now return, to reconcile him to the necessity of this dispensation, and supply the place and care as a tender father only can in part, of the loss of the mother.

Florence Faris


December 1, 1870

At Neoga, Illinois, Nov. 22, of croup, Florence, youngest daughter of Rev. W. B. and Elizabeth A. Faris, aged 22 months and 24 days.

Howard Faris

August 10, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

At Neoga, Cumberland county, July 9 of cholera infantum Howard aged 7 months, son of James C. Faris of Mt. Aire, Iowa

Mrs. Mary Faris

May 5, 1881

At Mr. Ayr, Iowa, May 1st, at the residence of her son Mr. John G. Faris, Mary Faris, 77 years, 4 months, 5 days.

R. Faris' child

October 7, 1880

Saratoga - Mr. R. Faris' child died and was buried last Friday afternoon from the M. E. church. Services conducted by Rev. Houston of La Prairie.

Robert Faris


April 25, 1867

On the 8th of April in Saratogo, Robert Faris, in the 66th year of his age. He was born in Ohio county, West Virginia. Was a child of the covenant, was dedicated to God by his parents in infancy. From early childhood he was the subject of deep religious impression but did not openly profess Christ until he was about 25 years of age. Sometime after this public profession of religion, he removed to Delaware county, Ohio and connected himself with the Presbyterian church of Delaware. He was elected a ruling elder of his church and continued to serve in that capacity till he removed with his family to Saratoga township nearly 4 years since, when he united with the Mansfield church. In this church, he was also elected an elder and continued to serve till called in the providence of God to join the general assembly and the church of the first born whose names are written in heaven. He was possessed of an active mind and considering a very limited opportunities of education that he enjoyed, he had stored it with great amount of knowledge, both with respect to the truths of the Bible and also with respect to the great religious and political questions of the day. He was also well acquainted with the principle facts of history, his tenacious memories serving him well at retaining what he had read. His whole soul was enlisted in the cause of liberty and human freedom and terrible were his denunciations against the slave holders rebellion and had it not been for his age and weakness of body, he would have doubtless have become among the champions of liberty in the field of battle. Old and weak as he was, he offered his services to the country. He gave three sons and two son-in-laws to the Union Army. Two of these died martyrs to the cause of human freedom. His feelings of sympathy for universal liberty was not spasmodic. It did not manifest itself for the first time at the breaking out of the war. It was life long. He was an out-spoken anti-slavery man, when the term abolitionist was a stench in the nostrils of the great majority of the people of the north, though he never identified himself with Garrison Phillips faction. He lived to see the principles that he advocated triumph in the passage by Congress of the military reconstruction bill.

Lizzie Farmer

October 31, 1872

In this city, Oct. 27, of hemorrhage of the bowels, Miss Lizzie Farmer (colored), aged 13 years.

Albertus Farr

The Henry Republican, Henry, IL, September 7, 1882

Died August 22d of cholera infantum, a little son of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Farr. Mr. and Mrs. F. have lost three dear little ones in as many years and are now childless. They have the sympathy of the entire community in their affliction.

September 14, 1882

Died in Roberts township, Aug. 22, of cholera infantum, Albertus, 7 months, only child of L. H. and Mrs. J. H. Farr.

Joseph Farr
The Henry Republican, Henry IL, June 28, 1883
Died June 9, at Marshall County Poor Farm, Joseph Farr, 22, reported by H. J. Adams, Co. Supt. Poor farm.

Mary Ann Farr


November 24, 1870

Died at Lacon, Nov. 14, of typhoid fever, Mary Ann Farr, aged 17 years

Mrs. Sarah M. Farr


August 15, 1872

In this city, Aug. 7, of scrofula consumption, Sarah M., aged 36, wife of A. J. Farr

Thomas Farr

January 1, 1874

Died at Lacon, Dec. 28, Thomas Farr, aged 73 years.

Winnefred Farr

March 27, 1879

Taken From the Henry Republican

In Roberts township, March 23, Winnefred, aged 18 months, daughter of Landen and Jessica Farr, granddaughter of Mrs. Christopher Broadus, and great-granddaughter of James Hall near Lacon. Interment on Tuesday, near James Hall east of Lacon.

Wilbur Littleton Farris

September 3, 1874

Died in Whitefield township, September 1, of congestion of the brain, Wilbur Littleton, aged 2 years and 15 days, youngest son of John G. and Annie S. Farris.

Mrs. Ellen Fay

October 10, 1878

At Wenona, September 29, Mrs. Ellen Fay, aged about 65 years

Mrs. John Fay

February 19, 1880


There being four funerals since the last issue of your paper. Mrs. John Fay was buried on last Saturday, Mrs. Myers on Sunday, Mrs. James Fay on Monday and Henry L. Crane, the first of the week. Three weeks ago we chronicled the death of James Fay, husband of the lady who was buried on Monday.

February 26 - Mrs. James Fay, who was buried at Lacon last week lost her life by the criminal carelessness of a clerk of a druggist of that city, who in filling a prescription containing opium, put into the compound four times the amount prescribed by the physician, which was not discovered until too late to save the lady's life.

James Fay

January 15, 1880

Taken From the Henry Republican

At Lacon, Jan. 6, of lung fever, James Fay, shoemaker, 65.

Mrs. James Fay

February 19, 1880


There being four funerals since the last issue of your paper. Mrs. John Fay was buried on last Saturday, Mrs. Myers on Sunday, Mrs. James Fay on Monday and Henry L. Crane, the first of the week. Three weeks ago we chronicled the death of James Fay, husband of the lady who was buried on Monday.

February 26 - Mrs. James Fay, who was buried at Lacon last week lost her life by the criminal carelessness of a clerk of a druggist of that city, who in filling a prescription containing opium, put into the compound four times the amount prescribed by the physician, which was not discovered until too late to save the lady's life.

Phillip Fay

March 22, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

Local Correspondence - Lacon

Two other deaths have occurred in Lacon during the past week. Mr. Phillip Fay, who kept a saloon in Lacon died here on last Saturday after a brief illness. I have been unable to ascertain the cause; also a daughter, about 12 or 14 years of age, of James Greenough, died of measles on last Sunday evening.

Loney Feagens

January 25, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

At Wenona, Jan. 16, Loney Feagens, aged 17 years.

Elizabeth Feasel

August 7, 1873

In Hopewell township, July 17, of cancer, Elizabeth, aged 56 years, wife of Hiram Feasel.

Mrs. Hannah Feazel

October 19, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

In Hopewell township, October 9, at the house of her son Hiram Feazel, Hannah Feazel, aged 81 years. Interment in the Broaddus graveyard.

Mrs. Eliza Fenn

January 15, 1880

Taken from the Henry Republican

At Chillicothe, Dec. 26, of old age, Eliza, 77, wife of the late Norman Fenn of Lacon.

Mrs. Norman Fenn, one of the early settlers of Lacon, died of feebleness and old age, at the residence of a Mrs. Elizabeth Moffitt, an old friend at Chillicothe, recently, where she had gone to spend the winter. Her remains were interred at Lacon. She was the last of the old settlers of that name, highly loved and esteemed, and has gone home to reap the reward of a long and worthy life.

Fannie Fenn

April 16, 1874

At Lacon, April 6, Fannie, aged 11 days, infant of E.D. and Carrie D. Fenn.

Ira I. Fenn

January 16, 1873

At Lacon, Jan. 3, of congestion of the lungs, Ira I. Fenn, Esq., aged 78 years.

(For more information - See Marshall county pioneers)

Norman Fenn

August 14, 1873

At Lacon, Aug. 9, Norman Fenn, aged 75 years.

William Fenn

August 28, 1873

At Bloomington, Aug. 15, of heart disease, William Fenn, formerly of Lacon, aged 66 years.

Mr. William Fenn, the last of the trio who formerly lived at Lacon, and whose names were long identified with the prosperity of our county - Ira, Norman and William - died suddenly at Bloomington, a couple of weeks since, of congestion of the heart, being sick less than an hour. He had just returned from the sick couch and burial of his brother Norman at Lacon, when he too, arriving home, almost without warning, was summoned to the other world. The three brothers were warmly attached to each other, and all died within the space of eight months. The Home Journal pays a fitting tribute to his memory of half a column's length, adding that "he was a man of exemplary habits, a sincere Christian, a warm friend, and loved and respected in every circle wherein he moved. He has been married three times, and had six children born unto him, three of whom sleep in our cemetery. One, his oldest, is a physician in southern California; one, a daughter, married to Dudley Fenn; and his youngest, a son of 17 at home in Bloomington. He leaves a life insurance policy of $5000 to his daughter and youngest son, and one of $1000 to his wife.

Mrs. Eleanor Ferguson

January 4, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

At Peoria, Dec. 31, of old age and infirmity, Eleanor, aged 83 years 1 month, 4 days, wife of the late Isaac Ferguson, and mother of Mr. Cicero Ferguson of this city.

George B. Ferguson


April 28, 1870

At Sparland, April 6, of wounds producing nervous fever, George B., aged 7 years, son of A. H. an N. E. Ferguson.

Isaac Ferguson

December 21, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

At Peoria, Dec. 18, of paralysis, Isaac Ferguson, aged 85 years, 11 months, and 18 days, father of Mr. Cicero Ferguson of this city.

Isaac Ferguson of Peoria, father of Mr. Cicero Ferguson of this city, died on Monday of a paralytic stroke, at the great age of 85 years. He received the first one the Monday previous, which rendered him speechless and helpless. The aged wife has been bedridden for the past 10 years, and speechless for about two years and it was a sad sight indeed for the tow, both occupying the same couch, to be unable to speak to each other. The death of the venerable lady is expected at any moment.

John Gooch Ferguson


March 17, 1870

Died in this city, March 10 of asthma consumption, John Gooch Ferguson, aged 42 years

Mr. John G. Ferguson

Passed from earth on Thursday morning last, soon after the day had dawned, the subject of this brief sketch, our beloved fellow citizen John Gooch Ferguson. It was not a surprise to our citizens nor to the family and friends, because it was expected, Mr. Ferguson having been ailing for a long time with asthma consumption, that fatal disease which numbers apyriads among its victims, and which human aid seldom can arrest. He had been feeble a long time, and hadn't sat at breakfast since February, 1868. He waited patiently for the hour of dissolution, and when it came a saint entered into rest.

Mr. Ferguson had a wide acquaintance in this vicinity, and was esteemed for his gentlemanly and courteous address, his methodical business habits, his exemplatory deportment, and withal, his pleasant social qualities. One of his prominent traits was cheerfulness, which he retained up to the last, and we are told by Mrs. Ephraim Hoyt, that during the 16 years with which he had been connected with the family, he was never known to utter an unkind word, and this is remarkable, when we take into consideration his nervous temperament and his wearisome wasting sickness.

He was always disposed to be hopeful and buoyant, and we presume the sunny calm of his feelings went far towards prolonging his life. In business everything was precise, and in every receipt, due bill, or other transaction, the object for which it was given was stated, so that equivocations and misunderstandings were obviated.

At the age of 14 he commenced a diary, which was continued with hardly the omission of a day's entry up to a couple of days before his death. Some of the notes are historic and valuable, and represent in brief form, a connected history and a pleasing chain of events of his life left behind for tender recollections by the family friends. And as we pass, we might suggest here to our young people, the importance and value of these daily notings, and believe it a course of life worthy of their emulation and practice.

Mr. Ferguson was born in London on January 23d, 1828, and was one of 12 children - six of whom survive him. The family afterwards moved to Leeds, where he spent his boyhood and received his education. In September 1849, he landed in America, and in March, 1851, he found his way to Henry, and entered the land office of Benjamin Lombard, where his business accuracy, fidelity and tact made him a valuable assistant.

He soon made the acquaintance and found a counterpart in one of our town's fair daughters, and was married May 27, 1852, to Miss Clara, eldest daughter of Ephraim Hoyt. A family of five children was the result of this union, only the eldest son, Albert, surviving the father. Three sons and a daughter were born in Henry, and one in Pennsylvania; two sons and the daughter died here, and a son in Pennsylvania, the two sons being taken the same week. Since his marriage Mr. F. has resided most of the time in Henry, engaged in business of various kinds. During this time however has lived at Chicago, three years in El Paso as a banker, and also taking a tour through the southern states for the benefit of his health. Failing health compelled him finally to resign his business and moving from El Paso to Henry, he consigned himself to his fate, receiving every care and comfort that love could prompt, until he breathed a pure life away gently in the arms of his devoted wife.

A grandfather of Mr. Ferguson was licensed to preach by the celebrated Methodist divine, John Wesley. The former was an apt and excellent linguist, which he manifested at an early age. When John Wesley tried "to take Holland" with his preaching and eloquence, and could not utter a word of the Dutch, Grandfather Ferguson, then a lad in his teens, stood up before the multitude who had gathered and interpreted the sermon as it fell from the sainted lips. And this love of religion, and apt to preach descended to the second generation as we shall show in this sequel.


And it will not be improper here to allude, even at some length, to Mr. Ferguson's religious experience. He was converted in England at the age of 12, and from that time has been a consistent and faithful Christian, and one of those who enjoyed his religion. We extract from his diary, that he kept touching his conversion:

"About the age of 12 I was led to think seriously about the weighty matters of eternity, and the preparations necessary to meet the judge of the quick and the dead, after hearing a sermon preached by Rev. C. Chatham, February 8, 1842, from Revelation iii,20: "Behold I stand at the door and knock, if any many hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him and he with me." This was preached in St. Peter's chapel. After chapel service was concluded, I retired home and wept for my sins, and pleaded through the merits of may Savior for that sweet sense of his forgiving:.............

Coming to Henry he united with the M. E. society. He also took an interest in the Sabbath school and was one of the early superintendents. He was also licensed to preach as a local preacher by Presiding Elder Phelps, on January 3d, 1852, and preached his maiden discourse at Snider's school house, from the test: "Go ye also, into the vineyard, and whatever is right that shall ye receive,". While failing health compelled him to forego preaching at all, his license was yearly renewed until his death, and he was one of those earnest men that preached a practical sermon in his daily life.


The funeral took place on Sunday, the remains being placed in a beautiful rosewood casket. At the house Rev. Mr. Winn, Presbyterian, made the prayer and a few appropriate remarks. He alluded to the weather that had intervened between the death which took place on Thursday morning and buried on Sunday. It was stormy on Friday and terrible on Saturday, attended with sleet, which enshrouded the trees with crystal drapery, while snow to several inches covered the ground thereafter. On Sunday the day dawned calm and warm and the sun came out, and the sunlight and the reflection from the icy foliage, was beautiful, and illuminated all nature. He alluded to this in a beautiful and touching manner as symbolizing the several states through which the diseased had passed. First, a gradual decline, then the anguish and suffering terrible to endure, and finally the victory - the peace that passeth all understanding. The pall bearers, were John Kline, J. N. Purple, Charles Everett, E. H. Hutchins, J. c. Hoagland and J. P. Hummer.

The procession then wended it way to the church, where the solemn service for the hour was attended by a large concourse of sympathetic friends and fellow citizens .......... The in the church, the casket was surmounted with a cross of green leaves, appropriately decked with beautiful white roses just in bloom, emblematic of the spirit, just in its manly prime, gone to bloom in the paradise of the great hereafter.

To show Mr. Ferguson's mode of daily recording incidents and thoughts in his diary, we are privileged to make the two extracts given below. He says January 1st, 1870: "I rose at 11 a.m., feeble and worn, but thankful and trustful; wife quite poorly; Albert hearty and well; Sarah with us at home, and all of father Hoyt's family in fair health. Praise the Lord for all his manifold and tender mercies." Also on January 2d, 1870: "I little expected one year ago to see another new Year; yet I have laid and suffered and been sustained wonderfully. How much I would enjoy to meet at the communion of the Lord's supper with all tried friends of Christ, renew our covenant, solemnly vowing to be the Lord's".

His life was exemplary - in business, social life, and in religion. How many of us will endeavor to follow him?

Thomas Ferguson

February 13, 1873

At Brighton, Jan. 12, Rev. Thomas Ferguson, father of the late John G. Ferguson of this city.

George Field

Taken From the Henry News Republican

February 4, 1915

Very few men have resided in Henry, who by deportment, correct living, unblemished character, have left a deeper impress upon the hearts and lives of his friends and associates than George Field, recently deceased. He was the son of Asa Lee and Mary W. Field; was born in Leverett, Mass., March 29, 1835.

Mr. Field was educated in the common school of his native state and also attended Munson academy for a time. Having grown to a young manhood, he came west in 1856 and settled in Dover, Ill., where he was united in marriage t Laura A. Bass, Sept. 2, 1862. To this union were born two daughters Maud, mary and Lora Bass, who died at the age of 11 years. A short time after Mr. and Mrs. Field's marriage they returned to Leverett, Mass., where they resided for something like 3 years, returning to Illinois and settling in Dover for a short time. In 1867 he removed to Wyanet, Ill, and engaged in the general merchandise business until 1885, at which time the family removed to Henry, Ill., where Mr. Field engaged in the grocery business. After discontinuing the grocery business he entered the employ of H. & E. F. Hunter, as bookkeeper and remained at the Henry office until his removal to Chillicothe in 1898. He continued in active service until about a year and a half ago. While residing in this city, Mr. Field was an active, earnest, conscientious participant in every good word and work.

He is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. E. F. Hunter, and one brother, Edward F. of Leverett, Mass.

Patrick Finnegan

February 5, 1880

Father Patrick Finnegan, aged 95 was buried last Friday at the Catholic cemetery below this city beside the ashes of his wife who died some years ago. He was a very industrious man and very highly respected by his neighbors and friends. He was the father of Patrick and the late Thomas Finnegan.

Lucy Barnard Fish

July 10, 1879

Died in Chicago, June 29, Lucy Barnard, infant daughter of Thomas M. and Josephine L. Fish

Thomas Fish buried an infant daughter at Chicago on Tuesday of last week, the funeral being held from the residence of Mr. Fish, No. 533 West Washington street. The friends of Mr. Fish here sympathize with the parents in their sorrow.

Mrs. Marie (nee Fisher) Fishburne


March 21, 1872

At Lacon, March 12, of typhoid fever, Mrs. Maria Fisher Fishburne, aged 23 years, daughter of William Fisher.

Henry Fisher's daughter

October 3, 1878

Our Correspondence - Lacon

A daughter of Capt. Henry Fisher, aged 7 years died Monday morning of croup and was buried on Tuesday. The funeral was very largely attended by relatives and friends.

Jacob Fisher


December 28, 1871

Died in this city, Dec. 26, at the residence of Frank Kleinkrenz, of heart disease, Jacob Fisher, aged 64 years.

Mary Fisher

May 13, 1875

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died in this city, May 10, of measles, Mary, aged 4 years, daughter of Damian Fisher.

Mrs. Sara Ann (Doty) Fitzer

July 21, 1881

Died at Chicago, July 16, at residence 166 Ashland Ave., of Bright's disease of the kidneys, Sara Ann, 29 years, 8 months, 16 days, wife of Mr. Somner B. Fitzer and daughter of Henry Doty of this city.

The death of Mrs. Sarah A. Fitzer, wife of Mr. Sumner B. Fitzer, at their residence No 166, Ashland avenue, Chicago, on Saturday, leaves a devoted husband bereft of an affectionate wife and three young boys destitute of a loving mother. Her death was in some measure expected, for she had been an invalid a long time, and for some time the symptoms had been aggravated and alarming. She came to Henry a few weeks ago, and was placed under the care of Drs Kalb and Hattan, who reported improvement while under their treatment. But with the intention of seeking relief at the seaside during the hot term, Mr. Fitzer came down and accompanied his wife to Chicago, on the night of July 5. Here she spent the week until Saturday, and was so much better that her mother commenced packing the trunks, and Mr. F. went down town to procure through tickets. Hardly had he left the house when the invalid had to take her couch, he was telephoned and in a short time she was a corpse. Thus her deth, though feared, was a surprise at last.

On Monday afternoon, the 18th, the remains arrived via C. R. I. & P. R. R. and at the Congregational church appropriate funeral services were conducted by the pastor of the church, Rev. J. S. Glendenning. The attendance of citizens was unusually large. Mrs. Fitzer was a native of Henry, - born, reared and married here.

August Flachtner

July 24, 1879

In Whitefield July 23 of dropsy, August Flachtner, aged 70 years

Mrs. Barbara Flachtner

January 1, 1874

Died in Whitefield, Dec. 29, of dropsy, Barbara, age 63 years, wife of August Flachtner.

Alfred Paul Fleming

November 4, 1880

Died near Dunlap, Peoria county, Oct. 27, Alfred Paul, 21 years 4 months 27 days, son of Rev. James and Catherine Fleming, formerly of Saratoga township.

William H. Fleming

Taken From the Henry Republican

April 13, 1882

Died near Dunlap, Peoria County, April 3, of consumption, William H., son of Rev. James Fleming, late of Whitefield, this county.

Conrad Flick

Taken From the Henry Republican, Henry, IL

March 26, 1868

Died in Whitefield, March 19, of chronic diarrea, Conrad Flick, age 57 years.

Mrs. John Flynn

October 22, 1874

At Sparland, October 14, Mrs. John Flynn

Mr. Fogarty

The Henry Republican, Henry, IL, November 9, 1882

A man named Fogarty, imbibed too much intoxicant last Monday and on Tuesday morning was found about a half a mile south of Low town lying on the railroad with a bad cut on the head. Thought to have been done with the cow catcher. His hat rim and crown cut to the center. His team was found near the tile factory. It is thought they started home and got lost in the woods. He was too much stupefied when found to tell anything about how it happened. He died about 2:30 o'clock Wednesday morning. Coroner held at inquest which will be given next week.

Alex Forbes


December 12, 1867

Died in this city, Dec. 10, of consumption, Emily, wife of Alex Forbes, age 37 years.

Bennie and Walter Ford


May 30, 1872

At Lacon, of scarlet fever, May 17, Bennie, aged 7, and May 18, Walter, aged 4, children of Isaac and Sara Ford.

John Ford

March 22, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died in this city, March 15, at the residence of William Thorp, a son-in-law, of lung fever, John Ford, aged 68 years.

John Ford - Who has been quite ill recently, died on Thursday last about noon. Several days previous he fell down stairs, and not being assisted up for some time, he caught his death cold, pneumonia setting in. His funeral was attended from the residence of his son-in-law, William Thorp, on Saturday morning. Mr. Ford had been a resident of Henry some years, and owned considerable city property. Domestic infelicity marred somewhat the even tenor of his life, he and his wife separating several times, and not a great while ago dividing their estate. Four daughters survive him. Thus with the death of Mr. Ford, and two sons-in-law, three deaths have occurred in the family within the past six months.

Mrs. Maria (Webb) Ford

The Henry Republican, Henry, IL, October 5, 1882

Died in this city, Oct. 2, of chronic diarrhea, Maria, 69 years, 10 months 20 days, consort of the late John Ford

Mrs. Maria Ford, the consort of the late John Ford, departed this life on Monday evening at the advanced age of about three score years and ten. She had been a resident of Illinis 35 years and Henry 33 years. She was a native of the north of Ireland, her maiden name being Webb. She was married twice, her first husband's name being Conover, by whom she had one child, Mrs. Michael Louis Doty. Afterwards she married John Ford at Syracuse, N.Y., by whom she had six children, five surviving, all living in Marshall county. Mrs. Ford was a portly woman, physically strong and at her best weighed about 200 pounds. She had remarkable natural abilities, was a good neighbor and friend, and had an individuality that made her a prominent and leading figure in the circle in which she moved. She was a superior nurse in the sick room and for years performed the functions of midwife with single success. She was a good mother to her children and at a good old age has gone to her reward. The funeral was held yesterday at 10 a.m. at the house, Rev. W. J. Minium officiating.

Mrs. Nellie Ford

Taken From the Henry Republican

March 30, 1882

Neighborhood News - Lacon

The messenger, death has again visited us. Mrs. Nellie Ford, wife of W. H. Ford departed life Sabbath afternoon, March 26, after a lingering illness with the dreaded disease consumption. She leaves a bereaved husband and two interesting children. The funeral services took place from the residence Monday 2 p.m.

William Ford

December 16, 1880

Died at Lacon, Dec. 12, William Ford, 76, brother of Allen N. Ford the veteran publisher.

Lacon - On Sunday Mr. William Ford was buried. He had been in poor health for several years but was better all summer. He has past 76 years of active honorable life on this earth.

Local Items - Mr. William Ford died at Lacon on Saturday. He was a brother of Mr. Allen Ford, the editor and has been a resident of that city since 1868. He was a good citizen, a liberal democrat in politics, dying universally respected.

Mrs. Louis Acha Forsythe

Taken From the Henry Republican

March 30, 1882

Died at Gilman, March 28, of consumption, Mrs. Lois Acha Forsythe, 74 years 7 months, 25 days, mother of Mrs. O. H. Tyler of this city. Interment at Henry cemetery this afternoon.

Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Tyler, returned from Gilman last evening, bringing the body of Mrs. L. A. Forsythe, Mrs. Tyler's mother who died on Tuesday of this week. She had been an invalid for some time and was quite aged. Mrs. F. was a native of Vermont but for many years was a resident of Ohio and for the past twenty five years had lived in the prairie state. She was married twice, to Sebina Pierce and to John Forsythe. For the past 16 years she has lived with an unmarried son. She has been a member of the M. E. church since she was 14 years of age, upwards of 60. A short funeral service was held at Mr. Tyler's residence at 3 o'clock this afternoon, Rev. Mr. Minium officiating. The remains were interred besides those of her daughter Mrs. Henry Stapp in our new cemetery. Hose Pierce of Streator and David Forsythe to Henry.

Greenberry Lafayette Fort

The Henry Republican, January 18, 1883

Died at Lacon, Jan. 13, of cerebral hemorrhage, Hon. Greenberry Lafayette Fort, 57 years, 8 months.

Neighborhood News

It is with sorrow we record the sudden death of one of our most prominent, influential and highly esteemed citizens. A cloud of the deepest sadness overspread our city Sabbath morning when it became known that Hon. G. L. Fort was dead. He had just returned from Springfield Friday evening. During Saturday he seemed indisposed, and late in the afternoon while out driving a colt in a pasture near his residence, he was seen to reel and fall to the ground; was dragged some distance; when picked up was unconscious and remained so until his death, which was about 11 p.m. The cause of his death was cerebral hemorrhage. Mrs. Fort and son were in Chicago at the time. He died, surrounded by many warm friends, but with none of his loved ones near. Mrs. F., accompanied by friends came as far as Dwight on the "Sunday Denver": from there they came by special train, arriving here about 6 p.m. Sunday evening. Not until she was seated in the carriage was she informed of her husband's death; her friends are fearful of the result of the shock she experienced. The funeral took place from the residence Tuesday 1 p.m., Rev. Wm. Tracy conducting the services. On account of Mrs. Fort's critical condition it was requested the funeral be private. However there was a very large concourse of people gathered to pay their last tribute of respect.

Greenberry L. Fort
An Accident Ends the Life of Our Distinguished fellow Citizen
Particulars Concerning His Death and Funeral

The sad intelligence was communicated on Sunday, the Ex-Congressman G. L. Fort had departed this life on Saturday night about 10:30 o'clock at his residence in Lacon in this county. He had spent the week in Springfield, in this state in company with F. S. Potter, Esq., of this city. He returned on Friday afternoon in the best of health and spirits. His wife and son had gone to Chicago that morning, hence he did not see them. On Saturday he attempted to exercise and train a young blooded horse, hitching the animal to a sulky in the yard. While engaged with the animal, he attempted to jump or get off the sulky, and in so doing fell and was caught in the reins, and so entangled that he was dragged a considerable distance, some 200 feet, before the horse was stopped. He was picked up in an insensible condition, conveyed to his room and physicians summoned, but nothing could be done for him. He remained unconscious from the time of the accident, about 3:30 o'clock until late in the evening, when the spirit took its flight and Col. Fort was no more. Cerebral hemorrhage is thought to have taken place, causing stupor and death.

At midnight, J. E. Ong. Esq., the partner left on the C.R.I.&P. R.R. for Chicago to bear the dreadful tidings to his family and return with them. The managers of the C.&A. furnished a special train for their return, which was accompanied by Mr. Britton, assistant secretary of the railroad company, who remained with the family until after the funeral. The worse was not communicated to them until they reached the city of Lacon, when the realization of the sad results of the catastrophe was too much for the strength of Mrs. Fort, who swooned away, and in this condition lay for a long time in care of sympathetic and anxious friends. The nervous shook prostrated her and her condition for several days has caused the most anxious solicitude of physicians and friends.

The Obsequies

Tuesday, Jan. 16, at one o'clock, the funeral took place at the family residence. It was a first thought necessary to make it a strictly private one, owing to the agonizing prostrate condition of Mrs. Fort, and it was such as far as it could be made so. There was as little display as possible and the services and arrangements were plain and unpretentious. To avoid noise carpets were spread on steps, corridors, verandahs, etc., and all stamping of feet were avoided.

In the front parlor in the center of the room lay the remains, in charge for the day, of Knight Templars J. E. Ong and R. A. Wright.

The solemn services were held in this apartment, where the relatives found seats, as also the members of the Marshall bar, and the pall bearers. The exercises were brief, very brief, conducted by Rev. W. Tracy, in a very low voice. Singing, usual on such occasions was omitted.

Then followed the long concourse of people to view the remains, the conveying of the casket by the hearse, the formation of the procession and the interment. The procession was preceded by chief superintendent of the funeral, Mr. John Hutchins, with the clergyman, Rev. W. Tracy; the hearse; the pall bearers on foot, with badge of office, eight in number. The names of these were as follows: Samuel Brown, Mr. Fort's last teacher, and in convention nominated him for his first political office, that of sheriff; Judge N. M. Laws representing the legal profession, J. H. Jones of Henry, A. P. Webber of Saratoga; N. Moore of Wenona, ex-members of legislature; J. B. Martin representing the banking interest; B. F. Blackstone, a political appointee; J. M. Hadley an intimate friend of deceased. Next in order came the relatives in carriages; the Marshall county bar on foot, 16 in number; carriages, sleighs of friends, making up a procession of some 80 conveyances in all.

Arriving at the cemetery, the body was consigned to the family lot, beside the grave of his little daughter Nina. With uncovered heads the benediction was pronounced by Mr. Tracy, when the vast concourse of people departed for their homes.

(See Biographies for Biographical Information)

Daughter of J. W. Fort

September 5, 1872

Died In Bennington township, Aug. 26, a little daughter of J. W. Fort

Mrs. Sarah Fort

February 20, 1873

In Richland township, Feb. 6, suddenly, Sarah, consort of Washington Fort.

W. D. Fort

September 25, 1873

In Richland township, Sept. 7, of softening of the brain, W. D. Fort, aged 52 years.

Mrs. Fosbender

The Henry Republican, Henry, IL, December 21, 1882


We hear of the death of Mrs. Fosbender at Emporia, Kansas last week. She was the mother of Phillip and Charles Fosbender, who formerly lived here.

Mrs. Ollie Fosdick

February 27, 1873

In this city, Feb. 13, Ollie, aged 63 years, wife of A. C. Fosdick of Steuben township.

Willie Fosdick

November 2, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died in Steuben township, Oct. 27, Willie, aged 3 years, son of Jay Fosdick

John C. Foster

October 23, 1873

In Richland, Oct. 10, John C. Foster, aged 73 years.

John Tomas G. Foster

November 12, 1874

Died in Richland township, Oct. 26, John T. G. Foster, aged 40 years.

November 26, 1874

Died in Richland township, October 26, John Thomas Foster, aged 43 years.

Mrs. Maria J. Foster


October 13, 1870

Died near Tonica, Oct. 5, of typhoid fever, Maria J., wife of John Foster, and mother of Charles and William Everette of this city, aged 54 years, 8 months and 3 days.

William L. Foster

Henry Republican, Henry, IL, June 17, 1915

Inexpressibly shocked and saddened were the friends when on Monday morning a telegram arrived from St. Paul announcing the death of Will L. Foster, whose early home was on a farm west of town and later on here in Henry. Not until the family arrived with the body on Wednesday was the manner of death learned.

Mr. Foster was fond of motorcycling, and was a member of both St. Paul and Minneapolis Cycling clubs. On Sunday evening he was out to the club track and friend told him of having bought a new machine and asked Mr. Foster to try it. He did so by pedaling the machine for a short distance and then turning on the "juice", when like a shot it sped away, absolutely without control, something having gone wrong with it, and the unfortunate rider was thrown 50 feet or more and striking with such force as to suffer a concussion of the brain.

William Lee Foster was born on April 28, 1885, on a farm in Saratoga township, Marshall county, Illinois. He was the only son of Alonzo and Esther Foster. The early years of his life were spent on the farm, where he attended the district school. Later the family moved to Henry, where he continued his school work until the death of his father and mother. He then left to make his home with his aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. James H. Smith, at St. Paul, Minn. Here he completed his education.

He was united in marriage to Miss Mary Sheffer, who with two small sons, Ralph and Alvin, survive him. He was a grandson of Wm. J. Coulter, one of the pioneers of Marshall county, and a former resident of this city, but latterly residing at Peoria in the 88th year of his age.

He was a young man of strong character, making friends and holding them. Being of an inventive nature, his future success was assured, and his untimely death has cut short a life which gave promise of greater things. It was his wish that when his life's journey should end, that his final resting place should be beside those whom he held most dear, hence the return of his ashes to his boyhood home and a final resting place beside father and mother in Henry cemetery.

The funeral was held at the home of Alderman C. E. Smith on Main street at 2:30 p.m. Yesterday, the body and friends arriving on the 12:33 p.m. train from St. Paul, Rev. R. W. Martin of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Interment in Henry cemetery in the parental lot, in charge of A. B. Smith, mortician.

Those from a distance were the widow and two sons, and Mr. and Mrs. James Smith from St. Paul; Mrs. Jennie Endsley, Curtis Coulter, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Endsley and Earl Endsley of Peoria.

Henry News - Mrs. W. L. Foster and two children, and Mrs. James Smith accompanied the Peoria friends after the Foster funeral here yesterday afternoon to spend the night and visit Father Coulter and other relatives there. Mrs. Smith returns tonight on the 6 p.m. train, when her husband joins her who remained here with his brother, Alderman C. E. Smith, and they leave for their home in St. Paul.

Luella May Fountain

May 6, 1915

Taken From the Henry News Republican

Luella May Fountain was born at the family home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Fountain in Whitefield township, Nov. 7, 1891, and was the only child born to their marriage. She attended church and school at Whitefield until her parents moved here to Henry in 1902. For the past couple of years or more she had been in very poor health and on Monday April 26, her spirit took its flight. The funeral services were held from the family residence in this city on Thursday afternoon of last week, conducted by Rev. J. E. Mercer. Interment in the Henry cemetery in charge of A. H. Smith acting as funeral director.

L. Z. Fowler


September 21, 1871

Died at Wenona Sept. 16, L. Z. Fowler, aged 58 years.

Peter Horne Fowler

July 29, 1880

Died at Wenona, July 21, of cholera infantum, Peter Horne, 8 months, son of Charles H. and Ida Fowler.

Wenona - Mr. Charlie Fowler's infant son died on Wednesday last. The funeral took place from the residence on Thursday.

James Foxcroft


June 20, 1867

At Saratogo Springs, New York, June 12th after a protracted illness, James Foxcroft, age 32 years. Mr. Foxcroft left here in March as our people well know. He has lingered along until Wednesday of last week when he died. He lost his hearing and his speech several days before his death and died in great agony. He doubtless has gone where sorrow and pain are no more.

Henry Frank

Henry Republican, Henry, IL July 22, 1915

Henry Frank was born in the city of Ekenboken, Rhinish, Bavaria, Germany, Nov 14, 1836 and died at his home in Sparland, July 14, 1915, aged 78 years, 8 months. He was one of a family of ten children and was reared and educated in Germany, coming to this country in 1859, and resided for a time in Peru, where he was married to Miss Margaret Vogt in April, 1862. To this union, 11 children were born, two dying in infancy. He is survived by his wife and nine children, viz: Charles Frank of Chicago; Mrs. Henry Bucke of Delavan; Mrs. A. G. DuVal of Chicago; Henry Frank of Chicago; Mrs. Theodore Kaifer of Henry; George and William Frank of Sparland; Miss Freida Frank of Chicago and Otto Frank of Moline ; also by his brother, Jacob Frank of Delavan, who is past 81 and is the only surviving member of his parents' family.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank moved from Peru to Sparland in 1873, where they have since resided, living to see their family of nine children all grown to manhood and womanhood, highly respected and doing well. Mr. Frank was a shoemaker by trade, having learned it in the old country. He was of a jovial disposition, generous hearted and had many friends.

The funeral services were held from the residence on Saturday afternoon, July 17 at 2:30 p.m. The services were conducted by Rev. D. McLeish of the M. E. church. The body was laid to rest in the Sparland cemetery. All the children were present except Mrs. A. G. DuVal who, with her family, were visiting in California and was unable to reach home in time for the burial.

Mrs. Mary Anna Frank

November 9, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died at Delavan, Tazewell county, Oct. 31, of natural decline, Mary Anna, aged 37 years, wife of John J. Frank. The body was taken to Lacon for interment.

The remains of the wife of Mr. J. J. Franks of Delevan, Tazewell county, were brought to Lacon on Thursday last for interment. The family formerly lived in Lacon and Sparland, and endeared themselves to the citizens by a wide and pleasant acquaintance. The funeral was largely attended by sympathizing friends. Mrs. Franks had been an invalid for some years.

Rosalie Freeman
Henry Republican May 4, 1893 41st year #46
In Hopewell township, April 27, of consumption, ROSALIE FREEMAN, 41.
[Transcribed by 2cemeterysisters]

Samuel Freeman
Henry Republican Thursday, July 19, 1883 Vol. XXXII #4
With sorrow we write of the death of another old citizen, that of Uncle Sam Freeman. He was taken sick on Sunday with heart disease and died last Thursday. Was buried on Friday.
[Transcribed by 2cemeterysisters]

Sarah Freeman
Henry Republican July 1, 1875 Vol. XXIV No. 1
DIED. In Hopewell township, June 28, the wife of the late Elijah Freeman, aged 81. The last of the original emigrants from North Carolina in 1832.
[Transcribed by 2cemeterysisters]

Sarah Elizabeth Freeman
Henry Republican April 9, 1903 51st year #41
That grim old reaper Death has once more come into our midst and snatched from us one of our best beloved, Miss Sarah E. Freeman died at her home in Hopewell on Thursday, April 2, at 2 p.m. Miss Freeman was born, Oct. 24, 1845, in Hopewell. She was the daughter of the late Mr and Mrs Elijah Freeman who were a number of years ago called to their Creator. While doing her work at home about seven weeks ago, she fell and fractured her hip and has since been a constant sufferer, which she bore with Christian fortitude. She leaves three sisters and one brother - Mrs John Gluntz, Mrs John Gustafson, Miss Sidney Freeman and Samuel Freeman - to mourn her departure. She was converted and joined the Christian Union about 30 years ago and has continued a faithful worker and a true believer to the last. She gave up hope of recovery and was perfectly resigned to her fate as she made known by saying, "The will of the Lord be done." The funeral services were held at the late residence on Sunday, April 5, in the presence of a large concourse of relatives and friends. Rev Stead of Lacon delivered a touching sermon, after which they proceeded to the Harris cemetery in Hopewell where she was interred. Thus after a useful and godly life lasting 57 years, 7 months and 10 days, she was taken from us and now rests in the land of the blest.
[Transcribed by 2cemeterysisters]

M. J. French

Henry News Republican

November 23, 1922

Prominent Farmer of Evans Township Passes Away.

M. J. French, passed away at his home at Wenona on Monday evening at the age of 69 years, after an illness of four months. The deceased was a prominent farmer in Evans township for many years, and his passing has cast a gloom over the entire community. About three years ago he moved to Wenona and has since resided at that place, his son Ralph having charge of the farm.

He was a member of the Presbyterian church, and also of the Masonic lodge. Funeral services were held from his late on Wednesday afternoon at 1:30. The funeral was one of the largest ever held in that locality, showing the high esteem in which this worthy citizen held. ...........(remainder missing).

Henry L. Frisbey

April 15, 1915

Who Passed From This Life At Madelia, Minn., on March 31.

The Madelia (Minn.) Messenger informs us that Henry L. Frisbey passed from this life at the hospital at St. Peter, Wednesday evening, March 31, 1915, and the remains were taken to Madelia for burial at noon April 2. The funeral services were held from his late home at 2 o'clock the following day, conducted by Rev. Goodell of the M. E. church, and the remains laid to rest in the Riverside cemetery.

Deceased was born at Henry, Ill., Feb. 10, 1848, and was married in that city. About 28 years ago he moved to Nebraska, and eight years later came to Madelia and located on a farm in Riverdale township. Eight years ago he bought a farm in Cass county, upon which he lived until he came to Madelia about two years ago.

Mr. Frisbey lost the sight of one of his eyes about six years ago and last December following an operation at Mankato, he lost the sight of the other eye, rendering him totally blind. Some time ago his mind weakened, and only last week he was committed to the hospital at St. Peter.

The devoted wife, one son L. L. Frisbey of Luverne, Minn., and two daughters, Mrs. Robert Wood and Mrs. Preston Keyser of Philip, S. D., and two sisters, Mrs. W. H. Borland of Madelia and Mrs. Eliza Culver of Kansas, are left to mourn his loss.

Mr. Frisbey was born on the Frisbey farm, three and a half miles northwest of Henry, now the property of the estate of the late C. R. Jones estate, which was one of the first farms opened in this section, locating in 1835, some 80 years ago. His boyhood days were spent here until after his marriage to a sister of the wife of Guy Forrest. He was one of eight children. For a number of years he has shipped car-loads of potatoes to Henry and sold them at a profit, his last shipment being last fall. Mr. Frisbey was a farmer by occupation, an industrious and honorable man, and his death at the age of 67 is truly a sorrow. His mother died many years ago, but his father was over 91 years of age at death. The family and sisters have our sympathy in this sad time of sorrow.

Infant of Henry L. Frisbey

November 20, 1873

Died in Henry township, Nov. 14, at its grandfather's Loton Frisbey's, infant son of Henry L. Frisbey, aged three months.

Local department

Mr. Henry L. Frisbey, who brought his infant daughter from Minnesotta recently, and took charge of the same, buried the little thing from Grandpa Frisbey's on Sunday. It took a violent cold on the way down and lung fever set in, from which the best medical skill could not avail. It has gone to be with the angels.

Jimmie Frisbey

October 12, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

In Steuben township, Oct. 8, Jimmie, aged 6 years, son of Orren and Mary Frisbey

Mrs. Rhoda Frisbey


July 11, 1867

Died in this town, July 1st, of consumption, Rhoda, wife of Loton Frisbey, age 57 years.

William Fritz

April 22, 1880

At Benton county, Iowa, March 26, of lung fever, William Fritz, 43, formerly of Henry, a brother-in-law of Mrs. Martha (Thompson) Rowe of Whitefield.

Lelia Fuller

September 11, 1879

Death of Lelia Fuller

Died near Beatrice, Neb., on August 22, Lelia Fuller, aged 10 years, daughter of J. N. Fuller. The deceased was born in Henry, but was in a few years taken by her parents to their new home in Nebraska. In a disastrous tornado four years ago she was spent away and frightfully wonded, but recovered almost miraculously. Two years later she was fearfully burned, yet still her frail form survived and she grew to be an intelligent blonde of 10 years; when in the midst of her innocent sports she was stricken down by disease, and no medical skill could stay its progress. Her vital force fast ebbed away, and with the words "I'm dying now," her gentle spirit took its flight to that calm world where no tornado can alarm, nor lowering storm threaten to destroy.

John Furderer

January 29, 1874

Died at Lacon, Jan. 27, of consumption, John Furderer, aged 22 years and son of Paul Furderer, formerly a miller at Granite Mills of this city.

Son of Charles Fulford

November 13, 1873

At Peru, Nov. 2, C. C., aged 1 year 7 months and 10 days, son of Charles and Lydia Fulford, formerly of this city.


Back to Marshall County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Trails Main Page