Genealogy Trails
Marshall County Illinois
Obituaries and Death Notices



Albert Gack

October 3, 1872

In this city, Oct. 2, of whooping cough, Albert, aged 2 years, son of Jacob Gack

Claranimo Gala

December 16, 1875

Taken From the Henry Republican

In Roseburg, Oregon, Nov. 13, Claranimo, infant daughter of Thomas M. and Clara A. (Cook) Gala.

Henry Gale

February 9, 1882

Lacon - Sunday evening the messenger, death, entered the home of DR. F. C. Gale and took little Henry, who was sick but a few days with diphtheritic croup.

Dr. Gale's daughter

Taken From the Henry Republican

March 30, 1882

Neighborhood News - Lacon

The cruel messenger has again entered the home of Dr. Gale and taken his youngest, a little girl about two years old. Another daughter, aged 15, has the malignant diphtheria, and is not expected to live at this time.

Mozart Gale

April 19, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

In Roseburg, Oregon, March 17, Mozart, son of Thomas M. and Clara (Cook) Gale.

Thomas M. Gale

October 24, 1878

Died in Ashland, Oregon, October 10, of consumption, Thomas M. Gale, husband of Clara Cook, daughter of the late Watson Cook of Henry. Mr. Gale was a printer and for some years edited a paper in Oregon.

Infant of C. C. Gapin

September 12, 1872

At Lacon, infant child of C. C. Gapin.

Mrs. Matilda Gapin


December 9, 1869

Died at Lacon, Nov. 13, of consumption, Mrs. Matilda, wife of the postmaster, C. C. Gapin, aged 61.

George Gardner's twin infants

February 24, 1881

The twin boys of George Gardner, born Feb. 11, in Whitefield have both died. They were wee mites of humanity, weighing together, when born, about three pounds. One only survived a few hours, the other lived several days.

Eunice Garatt

The Henry Republican, Henry, IL, October 19, 1882

Died at Lacon, September 30 of diphtheria, Eunice, 5 years 8 months, daughter of Smith M. and Isabel Garatt.

The sudden death of the beautiful daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Smith M. Garatt which took place two weeks since was a most painful bereavement to the family and friends. Eunice was a very bright promising daughter and was the pride of the household. Two others were stricken in the family with this terrible scourge - malignant diphtheria, but we learn both are slowly convalesing. The heartfelt sympathy of the community attend Mr. Garatt and his family in their severe affliction.

Althem K. Garretson

November 1, 1877

Died at Bradford, White county, Ark., Oct. 23, of yellow fever, Althem K. Garretson, aged 30 years, 1 months and 22 days, son of Richard Garretson, formerly of Henry and grandson to W. B. Wikoff of this city (Henry).

The deceased was born at Fairview, Fulton county, Ill., Sept. 1, 1847. Was married to Miss Lutie I. Norvell at Gilman, Ill, Dec. 2, 1868; moved to Arkansas in the fall of 1870; was taken ill on Saturday, Oct. 20, and died on Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 1 o'clock and 15 minutes. Leaves a wife and two little ones.

Mary Garrison

December 15, 1881 - Sparland

Miss Mary Garrison, a former teacher in our public school, died at Wenona as we learn on Thursday night of last week. While here, she taught a class of young men in the M. E. Sunday school and before her death, she requested that her Sunday school class be invited to attend her funeral, which was done according to her wishes. And on Saturday, some 4 of our young men, who are members of her class, went to Wenona to attend her funeral on Sunday.

Arthur Gault

October 10, 1872

Died in Whitefield, Oct. 4 of croup, Arthur, aged 16 months, only surviving child of Ezekial and Rebecca Gault.

Willie Gault


September 15, 1870

In Whitefield, Aug. 12, Willie, son of E. B. and E. J. Gault, aged 2 years, 1 month and 7 days.

Ina Zett (Adkinson) Gehr

January 26, 1933

Life Sketch of the Late Mrs. Harrison Gehr

Ina Zetta Adkinson, daughter of John and Eliza Wilkinson Adkinson was born in Peoria, Ill., March 17, 1855, and passed to her heavenly home, January 19, 1933, aged 77 years, 10 months and 2 days. When a small child, she moved with her parents to Henry, Ill., where she grew to young womanhood and undder the guidance of exemplary Christian parents she united with the Methodist church when 10 years of age.

In 1872, when not quite 17 years old, she became the wife of Harrison Gehr of Sparland, where they began housekeeping shortly afterward. Three children came to bless their home, a son Fred, and two daughters, Mabelle and Elsie...... She has been an active member of the methodist Episcopal church, working faithfully in its interests and allied organizations. She served as president of the Ladies Aid society for a number of years and was active in its early organization.

Since the death of Mr. Gehr on December 14, 1907, she has found sweet solace and companionship with her children. She has had a very happy home for almost nine years with her daughter, Mrs. Mabelle Mathias and husband. She enjoyed coming to town and spending a while with her son Fred and wife, and also with her beloved sister in Henry.

..... She has been gradually failing for some time. Her last illness was of short duration. She was taken with a severe cold which terminated in pneumonia. Though everything was done that loving hands and careful nursing could do, she passed peacefully into her last sleep early Thursday morning, surrounded by her children and other loved ones.

She is survived by her son Fred and wife, her daughters, Mrs. Mabelle Mathias and Mrs. Elsie Moore and their husbands; one sister, Mrs. Mellie Johnson of Henry, Ill., one brother Julius Adkinson of Springfield, Ill., also a number of nephews and nieces, and a large circle of friends.

The funeral was held on Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Methodist church. (REST MISSING).

Washington E. Gehr

March 2, 1876

Died at Sparland, Feb. 27, of dropsy, Washington E. Gehr, aged about 35.

Local Correspondence - Sparland

Again the angel of death has entered our midst and took from us our well beloved neighbor and fellow townsman, W. A. Gehr. Died on this Sunday at 10 a.m. He has suffered severely in the past few years. His Masonic brethren have attended him faithfully during his illness. He was buried with Masonic honors on Monday. Funeral services at the M. E. Chuch at 11 a.m. by Reverend Moore. Pallbearers were C. Fosbender, J. Y. Mills, Ezra Teagarden, Edward Burson, J. S. Brassfield and William Atchison.

Mrs. W. E. Gehr

October 13, 1881

Died at Sparland, Oct. 10, of consumption, Mrs. W. E. Gehr, 48. She was a native of Pickaway county, Ohio

Mrs. W. E. Gehr died on Monday and was buried on Wednesday 12th.

Louis Ghlarighi


Toluca, Marshall Co., Illinois, Friday, August 9, 1901

Louis Ghlarighi, a resident of Toluca for the past eight years, and active in business affairs, died quite suddenly Wednesday morning at 3:30 o'clock. He had been a sufferer for over a year from stomach trouble. Mr. Ghlarighi was born in Italy forty-two years ago, and came to this county when about twenty years of age, eventually settling in Toluca, where he made many friends and was highly respected. He was affable, unassuming, a staunch friend, and a man of sterling integrity and honesty in business affairs. Many relatives and friends from Briadwood, Coal City and other localities are in the city to attend the funeral. Deceased leaves a widow and two small children to mourn their loss. The sympathy of the entire community is extended to them in their bereavement.

Mrs. Jerry Gibbs
The Henry Republican, April 12, 1883
Mrs. Jerry Gibbs died last week. She has had a cancer on her face for many years which finally caused her death. There were a good many from this neighborhood who attended the funeral.

Martin Gibbs

August 7, 1873

In Galva, Henry county, July 30, of old age, Martin Gibbs, aged 86 years, father of Mrs. John B. Smith of this city.

Walter Smith Gilerest


October 29, 1868

Died in Bennington township, Oct. 15, after a protracted illness, Walter Smith, infant son of William S. and Mary Gilerest, age 14 months.

Erastus Gillett


November 17, 1870

At Lacon, Nov. 8, Erastus Gillett, aged 58 years

Dora Amelia Gilpin

January 13, 1881

Died in this city, Jan. 10, of diphtheria, Dora Amelia, 6 years 11 months 22 days, oldest child of Alfred L. and Matilda Gilpin.

Ida Caroline Gilpin

October 23, 1879

Died in this city, October 20 of membranous laryngitis, Ida Caroline, 3 years and 9 months, daughter of Alfred L. and Matilda Gilpin.

Alfred Gilpin lost his youngest daughter on Monday with a sore throat disorder that is prevalent. He has been very sick himself for a long time the past summer, buried his mother-in-law from his own house not long ago, and coupled with the death of his little daughter, he learns of the very serious condition of a brother, 19 years of age, with diphtheria at Metamora. Surely, in his case, trouble does not come singly.

Mrs. Rebecca Gloyd


May 4, 1871

Died in this city, April 2, of congestion of the lungs, Mrs. Rebecca Gloyd, aged 63 years.

Mrs. Agatha Goetz

December 16, 1875

Taken From the Henry Republican

In Hopewell township, Dec. 6, of cancer in the breast, Agatha, aged 51, wife of John Goetz, and sister of Mrs. Conrad Held.

Horace Oscar Golden

The Henry Republican, Henry, IL, November 23, 1882


Nov 1, at Lacon, Horace Oscar Golden, 10 years 11 months, reported by Dr. E. H. Gale.

Mrs. Abbie Louisa (Brokaw) Goltra

Taken From the Henry Republican

May 4, 1882

Death of Mrs. A. V. Goltra

On Monday morning the solemn intonations of the Christian church bell rang out the age of Mrs. A. V. Goltra, and announced that this long patient sufferer had put on immortality. The summons came at 9 o'clock on Sunday evening at the age of 42. The lady, whose maiden name was Abbie Louisa Brokaw, was born at Somerville, N.J. in 1840. She came to Henry with her parents and embarked in the millinery business. Here Miss Brokaw and A. V. Goltra, old school-mates, met, renewed old acquaintance, loved, were betrothed, and in 1863, while the soldier was home on furlough from the army, were married. Subsequent to the war they lived at Lincoln and Princeton, but for a number of years past they have made it their home here. Two children were the fruit of their union, Judosn, a clerk in teh dry goods house of E. H. Hutchins, surviving his mother. Mrs. Goltra was a sister of Mrs. R. L. Reed, and leaves a large circle of relatives and friends who will mourn her early demise.

The funeral exercises were held on Tuesday afternoon at teh Presbyterian church, which was well filled with sympathizing friends, Rev. w. J. Minium of the M. E. church officiating, selecting as a text, "She has fought the good fight, finished her course, kept the faith, and now there is laid up for her a crown of glory." Following the services the last sad look of the dead was taken. .. Present of relatives were Mrs. Phebe Lawler, Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Leslie and Judson Hall of Lincoln, J. H. Goltra of Decatur, Ezra Townley and family and Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Bacon of Senachwine. The body was interred in the new cemetery.

James Fremont Goodner


October 20, 1870

Died in this city, Oct. 14, of congestion of the lungs, James Fremont, son of Rev. W. M. Goodner of Chicago, aged 7 years.

Charles Barnes Goodrich

August 7, 1879

Died in this city, August 1, Charles Barnes Goodrich, aged 43 years, 11 months, 20 days.

Charles Barnes Goodrich, who died of consumption at 8 o'clock Friday morning, August 1st, was born August 10, 1835, at Hilo, on Hawaii, the largest island of the Sandwich group. At his death he lacked but 10 days of being 44 years of age. The youngest of four sons born of missionary parents, at the age of four months he started with the family for a voyage of four months around Cape Horn. In the fall of 1837 they came to Henry county, Ill., where he grew to man's estate of the farm, now one mile northeast of Kewanee. After his father's death, in 1862, he went back to Farmington, and learned the blacksmith's trade; thence to Galesburg where he attended school for two or three years, and was a member of the choir in the first Presbyterian church and of the "choral Union" under the leadership of Professor Bacon. He taught school one winter, then went into business with his brother, William at Kewanee, until in 1859, he started overland to that Eldorado over the mountains, "to where the sunset beckoneth far away". Working at his trade at Gold Hill, Nevada, he tells of packing his bellows, anvils and tools on mule back 120 miles over the snow-clad Sierras, through peril of wild beasts, red savages and white thieves and cut-throats to his chosen field of labor.

Amid all the tremendous excitements of mining speculations, gold gambling and greed for sudden fortune, working at his trade, "the true and the tried" he stood by his colors, "He was on the right side." Among a frenzied horde who boasted that no minister even would be among them six months before he would gamble, swear, drink, smoke, lie and cheat and steal, equal to the most expert on the "broad road," he passed through all without the taint of dishonesty on his character, or one act to bring reproach on the religion of his fathers or the precepts of his Redeemer and final judge. In the winter of 1861-2 his health failing, he visited San Francisco and made a voyage to The Sandwich Islands, being the only one of the family to return to the place of his birth and visit the great volcano. In 1863 he came to "the states" on a visit, but soon returned and went into a grocery at Placerville, old "Hangtown," Cal., where he remained about four years, and was an elder in the Presbyterian church, in which he also lead the singing and was active in Sabbath school work. Ten years ago last May he left the Pacific coast and went to New York city to engage in mercantile business, remaining there nearly six years. In the spring of '71 he married Miss E. C. Lansing of Cohoes, N.Y. A daughter Grace, and four sons, were born to them. Three of the sons were buried in early infancy and only Grace, seven years and Charles Barnes, four years of age, surviving. All the members of the family living were with him in his last hours. In the order of their age, Mrs. Nancy E. Day of Kewanee, Mrs. Jane L. Siocum of Loda, his brother Joseph of Henry and William R. of Kewanee. Of his last hours we can truly say "the end of that man was peace". Conscious till within a few hours of the end, he was willing and anxious to go. Brief services at the house were conducted by the Hon. Joseph H. Jones, who by request, made a short address, paying an appropriate tribute to the memory of the deceased. He spoke of his intimate acquaintance with him for more than three years, in which he had found him strictly honest in business, wise in counsel, safe in judgment and even hopeful in the labors and fellowship of love in the church of which they both were members; and closed with a prayer, the cry of a stricken and sorrowing brother. The remains were taken to Kewanee for interment, and when viewed there by many relative and friends the features were beautiful in the marble fixedness of their eternal rest. Floral tributes were offered by loving hands. Appropriate funeral services at the residence of Dr. Day were conducted by Rev. Mr. Hoyt, and closed by the choir with his favorite hymn, "Asleep in Jesus, Blessed Sleep." After which the wasted form was laid to rest beside his honored parents in the burying ground at Westherfield near Kewanee, there to rest all the cycles of our earth's allotted millennial years.

Mrs. Esther Goodrich


October 27, 1870

In Long Meadow, Mass. Sept. 15, Mrs. Esther Goodrich, aged 87 years, grandmother of Mrs. George Burt, Jr.

Frank Woodford Goodrich

June 6, 1878

Died in this city, May 29, of cholera infantun, Frank Woodford, aged 5 months 7 days, infant son of Charles E. and Elisa Goodrich.

Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Goodrich lost their infant boy last week Wednesday evening with cholera infantum. The funeral was held at the house on Thursday forenoon, and the body taken by Dr. Day, a brother-in-law, to Kewanee, for interment. The services were conducted by Rev. E. H. Baker, the pastor of the Presbyterian church.

Mrs. Z. (Scoon) Goodrich

March 3, 1881

We hear the sad report that Mrs. Z. Goodrich of Chicago is dead. They were old citizens of Lacon. She is a daughter of Robert Scoon of LaPrairie. The bereaved family has our most sincere sympathy.

John Gordon

Taken From the Marshall County Telegraph

July 26, 1866

Died in Whitefield, July 19, of hemorrhage of the lungs, John Gordon, age 22 years.

John Gordon

The death of John Gordon which we chronicle this week, came almost unexpected, and his illness was short. Some two weeks since he mounted a shanghai plow to help his brothers a day or two with their work. The rough motion of the plow was too much for his weak lungs, and it set them to bleeding profusely. The first hemorrhage exceeded a quart, then another over a pint, and still another of a lesser quantity, finally ebbing a young life away from earth. He lingered 10 days, and though his physician hoped to save him by tender nursing and keeping him still and quiet, the warm weather and his restless feelings proved abortive, and he passed away on Thursday of last week to the land from whence there is no return. John's life was gentle and unaffected, had no vicious habits, and was kind and Christian-like at home and to all. A widowed mother and affectionate brothers and sisters, and a large circle of friends will feel this stroke of Providence keenly, but are assured that all is well.

John C. Gore

April 2, 1874

Died at Lacon, March 31, of heart disease, John C. Gore

Chester Grable

April 9, 1874

Died at Wenona, March 27, Chester, aged 4 months, son of Alfred and Lidia Grable.

John F. Grable

April 20, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

John F. Grable, a highly esteemed citizen of Wenona, died at his residence in that city, on Monday, of paralysis, aged 67 years. He has been a prominent farmer, editor and merchant in this and Putnam counties during the past 35 years. He was a warm admirer of Lovejoy, and stood shoulder to shoulder with him in the great fight for the abolition of slavery. He was buried in the Wenona cemetery yesterday forenoon.

April 21, 1876

A special telegram from Wenona to Chicago Times, dated April 17, announced the death of John F. Grable. Mr. Grable resided in this place for many years, engaged as a farmer-editor and for the past few years was engaged in the mercantile business in Wenona and other points. He always took an active part in politics, fighting hard for abolition of slavery. He was 67 years of age at the time of his death and had been in failing health for several years. The funeral took place at Wenona cemetery on Wednesday afternoon.

Frances Grady

November 20, 1873

Francis Grady living in Lacon died suddenly in Kings Saloon in that city on Thursday last. He had entered the saloon, swallowed a glass of beer and taking a chair fell dead. Heart disease was the probably cause. He owns a farm in Saratoga township and was in tolerably good circumstance. His age was about 65 and he was a native of Emerald Isle.

Miss Irene Grady

January 22, 1874

At Lacon, Jan. 4, Miss Irene Grady, aged 27 years. A 25 years residenter of Lacon.

Adam Graham

January 16, 1873

At Wenona, Dec. 19, of consumption, Adam Graham, aged 66 years.

Albert Sims Graham


August 27, 1868

Died at Wenona, August 16, Albert Sims, infant son of Milton Graham, formerly of Whitefield township, aged 9 months

Mrs. Priscilla (Martin) Graham


May 7, 1868

We learn through private letter that Milton Graham, who formerly lived in Whitefield, but now is at Wenona, and who was married only a year or so ago, lost his wife by death after a lingering illness, two or three weeks ago. Mrs. G. was formerly a Miss Priscilla Martin and lived and was married at Edward Bursons in Whitefield. Mr. G. is a man who is highly esteemed by his acquaintances here and they will all deeply mourn with him in this sad and early bereavement.

Mr. Graham

Taken From the Henry Republican

March 30, 1882

Mr. Graham, who was so badly wounded by the premature discharge of a gun as reported in the last issue of the Republican, died on Monday.

Lewis Grave

January 9, 1873

Died in this city, Dec. 13, of diphtheria, Lewis, aged 1 year, son to William H. and Phoebe Jane Grave.

Reed Graves


August 15, 1872

At Sparland, Aug. 1, Reed Graves, aged 53, landlord of the Lawrence House.

Dora E. Grawburg
The Henry Republican, Henry Illinois, June 21, 1883
Died at Lake City, Iowa, June 10, of quick consumption, Dora E., 18 years 5 months, daughter of Seth and Hannah Grawburg, late of Whitefield township.

Fannie May Grawburg


March 16, 1871

Died in this city, March 11, of scarletina, Fannie May, daughter of Henry J. and Lorella C. Grawberg, aged 3 years and 7 months.

Mrs. Hanna A. Grawburg

April 19, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died in Whitefield township, April 17, of pleura pneumonia, Hanna A., aged 42, wife of Seth Grawburg.

Carrie Bell Gray

March 7, 1878

In Bennington township, Feb. 6, Carrie Bell, aged 9 years, daughter of Robert J. and Sarah G. Gray.

Mrs. Hattie (Stowe) Gray

January 8, 1880

At Unionville, Mo., Jan. 3, Mrs. Hattie, 23, wife of Keith Gray, and daughter of Elder W. R. Stowe.

Thomas Gray


April 27, 1871

At Ft. Scott, Kansas, April 6 of consumption, Thomas Gray, late of Saratoga township, aged 40 years.

We chronicle with sorrow in this issue the demise of Thomas Gray, who died in Kansas two or three weeks since. He went there from Saratoga township for this health, but experienced no relief from the change, and died from consumption contracted from exposure while in the service of his country. He came to Illinois 20 years ago, and has lived in Marshall county about 10. He was one of the first men who enlisted from Whitefield, and joined Capt. Shaw's company of Lacon, as a three month's man; afterwards enlisted in Capt. Gordan's company of the 47th, and served a three years term, filling honorably, in succession, the office of orderly sergeant, and 2d and 1st lieutenant. He was generally esteemed, and was a candidate last fall before our county republican convention for office of sheriff, and came near being the choice of the convention. He was born in Harrison county, Ind. Mr. G. was a master mason in good standing, member of Lawn Ridge lodge No. 415, and was buried by the Masonic fraternity at Fort Scott. He leaves a wife and two children behind. His memory will be ever precious.

Miss Gray

August 17, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

Local Correspondence, Lacon

Miss Gray died at Mrs. Robson's on last Sunday morning of typhoid fever. Mrs. Robson, who is a widow lady, deserves particular praise for the unceasing attention given the girl, who was a comparative stranger to her, and really had no claims upon her, except that of nationality, both being Scotch. Miss Gray recently came to this country from Scotland. She was a cousin of Mrs. Adam Davison's of La Prairie. Her remains were taken to La Prairie, for burial; the funeral taking place from the residence of Mrs. Henry Scott of La Prairie.

William Hedgeman Gray

January 9, 1873

In this city, Jan. 4, of congestion of the lungs, William Hedgeman Gray, aged 37 years.

January 16, 1873 - Mr. William H. Gray buried a babe two weeks since, and followed it on Saturday after only four days illness. He was an industrious man and for some time teamster of Granite Mills. A widow and four or five children are left almost destitute, in this bitter weather. If a mortal needs the sympathy and charity it is in a trial like this. In our Christian community may they not be left to suffer.

Ambrose Green

December 2, 1880

Died in this city, Nov. 19, Ambrose, 3 days, infant son of A. N. and Lillie Green.

Mrs. Bridget Green


August 22, 1872

Died in this city, Aug. 21, of congestive chills, Bridget, aged 50 years, wife of Patrick Green, drayman.

Mrs. Dolly (Long) Green

The Henry Republican

February 18 1915

Dolly Long, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Marion Long, was born near Ardmore, Okla., Oct. 20, 1877. On April 27, 1909, she was united in marriage with John Green at Hennepin. Mr. Green and his bride came to this city for the making of a home and have resided here up to the time of her death, Saturday, Feb. 13. For the past two years, her everyday life has been a struggle with that invulnerable destroyer of human life and happiness, tuberculosis. Well knowing that the end was near yet through all she made no complaint what each day had in store fore her. The funeral services conducted from the residence were held on Monday afternoon, Feb. 15.

Elisha Perry Green

February 21, 1878

In this city, Feb. 15, of consumption, Elisha Perry Green, aged 34 years, son of Isaac A. and Sallie Green.

Death of E. Perry Green

The subject of this sketch - our late fellow citizen Elisha Perry Green - departed this life about one o'clock on last Friday morning, February 15. His disease, in general terms was consumption - consumption of all that was physical of the body; for a plump, round featured man, had wasted away, day by day and inch by inch until shriveled to a mere frame work, a mere skeleton, so emaciated as to be hardly recognizable by intimate friends……….. "Perry," has he was familiarly known, was born in Trivoli township, Peoria county, August 8, 1843, and moved with his father's family into this vicinity, in 1854, where he has since resided. From a boy, he has blossomed into manhood, first a farmer, then a dealer in merchandize and a useful citizen. At the outbreak of the rebellion he enlisted under the flag of the government, and for its preservation, joining company B, of the 86th Ill., vols., joining a company from Henry. He was assigned to Gen. Buell's command, and confronted Gen. Bragg at the battle of Perryville, in Kentucky, though was never in any severe engagement. While at Louisville, on a general review of the army on one of the hottest days in October known to the south, the regiment was subjected to such severe and prolonged double quick dill that a large number were overheated, and several died from the prostration. Mr. Green was one of these sufferers, and catching also the army diarrhea, he was shortly physically disabled, and obliged to be transferred to the invalid corps, and afterwards to be discharged and sent home, where careful nursing and rest partially restored him, but which left the germ of a dissolution, which it is feared, had brought on the disease that has thus cut off life before its allotted time.

In latter years Mr. Green was a farmer, and owned a quarter section some three miles west of this city in Whitefield township. His bosom companion was Francis Elizabeth Ward, who has shared his joys and sorrows for the past 13 years, and whose lives were linked in warm attachments and endearing devotion to each other. Ten years they toiled together on the farm, but Mr. Green's health became such that he was led to seek the city and formed first a co-partnership as Locke & Green, in the lumber and hardware trade; subsequently they dissolved, and the past year has been engaged alone in the stove and hardware trade, and with the promise of ranking among our prominent and successful business men.

He was an esteemed and useful citizen. Last year he joined the M. E. church, being happily converted under the ministrations of Rev. E. C. Wayman, in which he was an active and official member, and generally beloved, taking a deep interest in all churchly uses. He was a young man of strict integrity, and occupied high grounds as to business honesty and confidence, and showing by word and deed, the evidences of a true Christian gentleman.

His funeral services were conducted on Sunday afternoon at the M. E. church, by the pastor, Rev. E. C. Wayman, assisted by his clerical brethren, Rev. B. Edmiston and Rev. J. L. Martin. The deceased's favorite song was sung by the choir: "O I Long to Be There." The church was crowded with sympathizing friends of the deceased. …..The interment was in charge of Marshall lodge No. 63, I. O. O. F. of which he was a highly esteemed member, and of which he was secretary at the time of his illness, and in which he had held most of the responsible offices; and also of Marshall encampment of which he was also a member. …..At the cemetery the burial services of the order were pronounced by Chaplain Wayman, while the brethren, encircling the sepulcher, dropped in the sprig of evergreen, betokening that their brother should ever be green in their memories. Mr. Green's death is very generally lamented by a large circle of choice friends. Of the friends abroad, were Mr. H. P. Ward of St. Louis and Mrs. Wasmuth and daughter of Orion, relations of the widow.

Emma L. Green

July 29, 1880

At St. Paul, Minn., July 20, of diphtheria, Miss Emma L., 17, daughter of P. H. Green, formerly of this city.

Mrs. Frances E. (Ward) Green

Taken From the Henry Republican

June 15, 1882

The subject of this notice, Frances E. Ward, was born April 6, 1845 in Hillsdale, Columbia county, N.Y.; was married to E. P. Green of Henry, Dec. 27, 1864, at which place she resided until June 10, 1882, when her dear spirit took its flight beyond the power of pain, suffering and sorrow…… Her unselfish spirit prompted her to unnecessary acts of kindness, and in the happiness of those around her she took great delight. Her love for the beautiful, the good, and true was an incentive to all associated with her. In December she has a severe attack of diphtheria, from which she never fully recovered. The spine and brain being the seat of the disease for nearly five weeks, her sufferings were of the most intense character and all that loving hands and hearts could do was poweless to relieve.

Mary Frances Green


September 7, 1871

In Hopewell township, Sept. 2, of affection of the brain, Mary Frances, aged 12 years, daughter of Phillip H. and Juliana M. Green

Nathaniel P. Green

June 3, 1880


Nathaniel P. Green, who for more than a quarter of a century has been prominently identified with the interests of Marshall county, died at the residence of his brother, Dr. F. S. Green, in Coxsackie, N. Y., May 2, 1880, of cancer of the stomach. His health had been gradually failing for the past three years, and hoping that a change of climate would be beneficial, and a desire to be under the medical care of his brother, he left home last February, never again to look upon its pleasant surroundings, never again to meet those loved ones around the family altar, to him the dearest spot on earth.

Mr. Green came to Marshall county in 1851, with nothing but a disposition to labor and a fixed determination to succeed, and right well has he fulfilled his mission. The same year he purchased 80 acres of land; Nov. 21, 1854, he was united in wedlock to Miss Hannah Powell, a young lady of sterling worth, and pure christian character. By their united industry and economy the 80 acres of barren prairie have increased to 280 acres, and is one of the best improved farms in Marshall county. He has gone to reap the reward of his labors while here in the Master's vineyard, and leaves behind an abundant estate for those who mourn him as a kind, affectionate husband and a loving, tender father.

In the winter of 1856 he united with the M. E. church in La Prairie, and has ever been an active, earnest christian, and retained his membership in the same church till transferred to the church triumphant. Strictly honest and upright in all his transactions, ever ready to cheerfully confer a favor or respond to the call of the needy, he leaves a name untarnished, and sacred in the memory of all who knew him.

Mr. Green was born in Coeymans, Albany County, N. Y, Feb. 6, 1826. Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. D. T. Wilson, assisted by Rev. A. J. Jones, in the M. E. church at Blue Ridge. The church, though a capacious one, could not accommodate the vast concourse of friends assembled to pay the last tribute of respect to the lamented dead. His remains were deposited in their last resting place by the Masonic lodge of Lawn Ridge, of which he was a member.

Patrick Green

May 23, 1878

A Sad Accident

It is our painful duty to record the death of a promising young man of this city, caused by an accident to himself at Sparland on Saturday evening. He had been to Peoria, and returned on the accommodation, which reached Sparland that evening about seven o'clock. There switching was necessary, and Patrick Green, for such was the young man's name, volunteered to couple the cars. In a careless manner he got his body in between the bumpers, and was very severely crushed. Engineer Miller, sensitive to every vibration of the train, says he felt the jar as if something was wrong, when the train came together. It so happened that the cars were moving together very slowly, or the young man might have met instant death and been horribly mangled. The young man was immediately picked up and conveyed into the passenger car and brought home. From the Paskell House bus. In which he was taken to his residence, he was able to walk into the house, but immediately sought his bed, where Dr. Jones was summoned, but who found the patient so terribly injured that he could give very little encouragement to the friends of his recovery. He lives until 11 o'clock Monday morning, when he died. He was sensible most of the time, realizing his situation, and knowing he could not recover. The consolations of religion were accorded him by Father Quigley of the Catholic church of which he was a devoted member.

Patrick was the son of Martin and Mary Green, and at the time of his death was 19 years old. He was born in Henry in January 1859. His father speaks of the son in high terms, as a good young man, addicted to no bad habits, and who was about to be married. His death is a sore bereavement to a large circle of friends. The funeral took place yesterday morning at St. Joseph's church, Rev. Father Quigley officiating at the services. The deceased leaves a father, and mother, two brothers and three sisters. The moral of this death in plain. Unless it is your place to couple cars, give that dangerous job to those whose business it is to do it.

Theresa M. Green

Henry Republican, October 26 1882

Died Sept. 5, in Roberts township, Theresa M. Green, 10 years, 2 months, reported by DR. J. W. Evans.

Thomas Green


December 31, 1874

Died in this city, Dec. 30, Thomas Green, aged about 50. A veteran of the Mexican war.

James Greenough's daughter

March 22, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

Local Correspondence - Lacon

Two other deaths have occurred in Lacon during the past week. Mr. Phillip Fay, who kept a saloon in Lacon died here on last Saturday after a brief illness. I have been unable to ascertain the cause; also a daughter, about 12 or 14 years of age, of James Greenough, died of measles on last Sunday evening.

Mrs. Joseph Gregg

January 13, 1881, Vicinity News, Lacon

The wife of Joseph Gregg died very suddenly on Tuesday after a very short illness.

Barryman Gregory

Taken From the Henry Republican, Henry, IL

August 19, 1869

Died in Whitefield, August 11 of dysentery, Barryman, son of Francis and Sara Gregory, aged 2 years and 8 months.

Francis Gregory

August 13, 1874

Died in Whitefield, August 11, of typhoid fever, Francis Gregory, aged 58 years.

Another prominent citizen of Whitefield, Mr. Francis Gregory, departed this life Tuesday, after two weeks severe illness. He has worked extremely hard this summer and though having premonitions of this illness coming upon him, he would not give up as sick until compelled by sheer exhaustion and aggravated symptoms of a violent fever. He was one of 10 children - five brothers and five sisters - nearly all of whom live in this state. He was born and raised in Ohio; emigrated to Peoria county 31 years ago, finally settling, 18 years ago, on the place where he died, in the midst of his own and wife's relation, who make a very respectable community of themselves alone. He leaves a very nice property to a widow and five children. As a citizen, a neighbor, a friend, husband or father, he was all that the term good would imply. He was a droll wit, a man of excellent impulses, full of good nature and generosity, and of whom few could say aught. His home was always a welcome place to visit; his views of life "let us make it agreeable for one another." And so it was. His funeral was largely attended, showing how highly he had been esteemed, and in Sugar Grove cemetery there is one more fresh grave.

Harrison Gregory

The Henry Republican, Henry, IL, October 26, 1882

Died at Los Angeles, Sunday, October 22, Harrison Gregory, 69 years, 5 months of this city.

Harrison Gregory's Demise

A telegram dated Sunday, Oct. 22, from Los Angeles, Cal. Announced the death of the venerable Harrison Gregory. It seems he went from home to die. He had been greatly enfeebled from kidney complaint attended with hemorrhage, a disease of some years in standing. To seek a more mild climate he thought would restore his health and prolong his life. He had in previous years visited Florida and Texas, and received benefit. This time he thought he would visit California. So in company with Mrs. John A. Spencer, who also sought a California climate for health, they started for the Pacific coast. A Salt Lake Mr. Gregory was attacked with dysentery and though seriously ill continued his journey to Los Angeles California, where he became very much reduced and Mrs. Spencer telegraphed his alarming condition. His daughter Laura of Lacon decided to go to him and reached his bedside some three weeks ago. But his enfeebled condition previous to his last attack was against his restoration, lingering until Oct. 22, when mortality put on immortality. Miss Gregory telegraphed she would leave California Tuesday with the remains, which, it is expected will reach Henry on Monday next, when arrangements will be made for the burial.

Harrison Gregory was the eldest of a large family, born at Ashtabula, Ohio, May 21, 1813. Here he resided until after his marriage. In 1837 he moved to Anglase county in that state. Following the star of empire he came west, buying a farm and locating in Kickapoo, Peoria county in September 1843. Ten years later he sold his property in Kickapoo and came to Henry, buying the lot and building the store building now occupied by Robert Clark's provision store, and going into merchandising under the firm name of Gregory & Sivers. In 1856 he bought the J. B. White farm in Whitefield, when he again turned his attention to farming. In 1867 he again sold his farm and moved to Henry where he has resided a greater portion of the time since, and which he called "home", though he had spent one year in Florida and one or so more in Texas in quest of health.

Mr. Gregory was a very useful man. His judgment, common sense and wisdom in public affairs made him a valuable citizen. He had held many offices of public trust and discharged the duties with wisdom and prudence. He had been supervisor in Whitefield, and was a candidate for mayor of Henry, losing the election by only one vote. At a venerable age he yields up a life well spent, seven of 10 children surviving him, all having reached mature age and all but one married and settled in life.

November 2, 1882

Sad as it is, the rite of burial seems necessary and the office of the living is to care for the remains of their dead relatives and see to it they are decently and properly interred. This last sad office was paid to the remains of the late venerable Harrison Gregory, by the family and a large concourse of friends on Monday afternoon. On Monday, Oct. 26, Miss Laura Gregory started from Los Angeles, Cal., with the remains of her dead father. Reaching Kansas City, she was met by her brother Harry, of the clothing firm of Gregory Bros., who had gone to meet his sister, the cortege reaching Bureau Junction Saturday night last. Here they found carriages in waiting, which conveyed the body and party to Henry, the remains being taken to the residence of Mr. Mark Gregory.

On Monday, Oct. 30, the funeral was held at the Christian church at two o'clock, the church being well filled with friends of the deceased and the family. At the concluding of the services at the church, the funeral procession wended its way to the city of the dead, where the mortal casket was laid beside that of his wife, who died in July, 1876.

Thus the last offices have been paid to one prominent in life as a useful citizen, a generous and devoted husband and father and friend. Our memory of him will be ever tender and the example of a well spent and worthy life ever be emulated. All surviving members of his family and most of his brothers and sisters and their families were present at the obsequies.

Marion Gregory

December 22, 1881

Died in this city, Dec. 15, of diphtheria, Marion, 9 years 1 month 5 days, son of Ransom E. and Ellen Gregory.

Mrs. Mary (Sivers) Gregory

August 3, 1876

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died at Chicago, July 28, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Frank Skinkle, Mary, aged 63 years, wife of Harrison Gregory of this city.

Death of Mrs. Harrison Gregory

It is our painful duty to chronicle this week the death of Mrs. Harrison Gregory, which took place at her daughter's Mrs. Frank Skinkle, in Chicago, on Friday morning. The deceased had been afflicted for some years with Bright's disease of the kidneys, from which no medical relief could be obtained and finally terminated fatally. Mr. Gregory was summoned Thursday afternoon, but death occurred before he reached Chicago. The remains were encased in a rosewood casket, and arrived at Henry Saturday morning, and the funeral held in the Christian church at 3 p.m. Rev. B. Edmiston, who conducted the services, preached an effective and consoling sermon.

Mrs. Gregory was born at Hagerstown, Md., Oct. 28, 1812, and herself and brother, William Sivers, who has lived in Mr. Gregory's family 1832, were the only children of that family. Her father dying, the mother afterwards married a Mr. Burns, who moved with the family in Ashtabula county, Ohio, where Mr. Gregory made the acquaintance of Miss Mary Sivers, and married her in August 1834. In 1843 they moved into Peoria county, where they resided until settling permanently in Henry and vicinity from 1852. Ten children were born to Mr. Gregory, three boys of which have preceded their mother to the other life, the others growing to manhood and womanhood, and becoming useful and honored members of the community, exemplifying the lifework and teachings of their most excellent mother and father.

Mrs. Gregory was very highly esteemed and her life was marked by those traits of womanly character, that is seen in the patient wife, the untiring mother, and the wholesome rearing of a large family. She was foremost in sickness, and her kindly hand and assistance was always open to the needy. No needy one went empty away from her door. She always made her home pleasant, and those best acquainted became warmly attached to her.

She has lived to see most of her children marry and settle about her, and it was her pride that she had reared so many worthy members of society. Her life work had been useful and when the summons came, at a fair old age, she was ready for the summons. A very large funeral attested the respect for the honored dead. So we all must die, let it be with as good a life record.

Phebe Gregory


October 26, 1871

Died in Whitefield, Oct. 22, of typhoid fever, Phebe, aged 20, daughter of George Gregory of Princeville, Peoria Co.

Mrs. Appleonia Umbs Gresser

The Henry Republican

February 25 1915

Mrs. Anton Gresser

One of the Pioneers of Henry Township Passes Away

Appleonia Umbs was born near Luxemburg, Germany, June 22, 1847. When she was but 9 weeks old hre parents, Mr. And Mrs. Nicholas Umbs, emigrated to this country and settled on a farm in Wisconsin. There near Hartford, Wis., on Jan. 3, 1864, she was united in marriage with Anton Gresser. They took up their home in Henry, where four children were born to them, three of whom are living, Mrs. Kate Peterman and Joseph Gresser of this city, and Henry Gresser of Princeton. The husband and father departed this life about 15 years ago. Both were members of St. Mary's church. This city and surrounding country owes much to the fact that among the earliest settlers were many families of the sturdy honest, industrious and frugal German race. Their love for the Fatherland and the Kaiser, did not blind them to the duties and privileges of citizenship in their adopted land and the enlarged opportunities here placing them under renewed and growing obligations to the state and nation. It is with a feeling of sadness and regret we note the passing of these early settlers. Death came to Mrs. Gresser from a stroke of paralysis on Feb. 21. The funeral services were held at 10 o'clock a.m., Feb. 24, from St. Mary's church, conducted by Rev. Fr. Gensler. Burial in the church cemetery, the following friends acting as casket bearers: William Kuss, George Pace, Anton Stadel, Gus Becker, Frank Baer, George Halbleib, with A. B. Smith as mortician. Thus we note the passing of an excellent wife, loving mother, kindly neighbor and friend.

Mrs. Amos A. (Taylor) Griest

February 27, 1879

Local Department

Mrs. Amos A. Griest, wife of the foreman of the National Democrat News Room died on Saturday at Peoria of consumption. She was 29 years old, a daughter of Joseph Taylor of Lacon and was married to Mr. Griest in 1873. Two children, both boys have blessed the marriage. The remains were conveyed to Lacon on Monday for burial. Mrs. Griest has been ill for a long time but her early demise is none the less sad. We condole with Mr. G. in his affliction and deep sorrow.

Mrs. Mary Griest

June 3, 1880

Died at Peoria, May 27, of dropsy, Mrs. Mary Griest, 57, formerly of Lacon.

Mrs. John Grieves

March 24, 1881 - Lacon

While we write Lacon is terribly shocked by the death of Mrs. John Grieves, which was cased in such a terrible manner. She started on Friday morning for a visit of a few weeks in Peoria. Her daughter Lizzie, and a little girl about a year old were with her returning to her home. The bus came for them about half past eight in the morning, then driving to Dr. Dean's for Mrs. Dean, when there the driver jumped off, and left the team without hitching, and started for the luggage. The horses, which were facing north, turned directly around and run south a block, and in turning a corner upset the bus, throwing the baby out and injuring the other two occupants, Mrs. Grieves and daughter. In upsetting, the front wheels became detached from the carriage and left it there the horses running for the stable of Mr. Reil. When picked up, the little child was found to be terribly cut on his head, but when dressed by the surgeon, it was not to be fatally hurt; but Mrs. Grieves was found to be suffering from a concussion of the brain, and there was but little hope of recovery; but during the afternoon the surgical operation of tropanning was performed, and everything seemed favorable for recovery, but early in the afternoon Saturday a change took place, for the worse, and the doctor said she was dying, but life lasted until about 10 o'clock Sunday morning. She was unconscious from the first. She leaves a large family and a large number of friends who sincerely mourn her loss. It is most horrible to lose a mother, but more so in such a manner as this. An inquest was held and the coroner jury brought in the verdict that Mrs. Grieves came to her death by gross carelessness of owner and driver of the bus Mr. Wm. Riel and Ed. Foster.

Mrs. Griffe

Henry News Republican, July 6, 1882

Sparland News

Grandmother Griffe, died at her home some four miles northwest of town on Wednesday of last week. She was an old resident of this township.

Child Griffin


March 21, 1872

At Wenona, March 9, of scarlet fever, a child of George Griffin.

Bessie Griswold

April 14, 1881

At La Harpe, April 3, of congestion of the lungs, Bessie, 20 months 6 days, infant daughter of O. J. Griswold, and grandchild of Mrs. Mahlon Newburn of this city.

Chester Griswold

March 11, 1880

At Lacon, Feb. 27th, Chester, 1 year 7 months 3 days, son of Chester and Emma E. Griswold.

Melchi Grove

May 12, 1881

Died in La Prairie township, May 7, Melchi Grove, 61. An old resident and prominent republican.

Mr. Melchi Grove, an old settler and one of the leading citizens of La Prairie died on Saturday and was buried the first of the week. Mr. Grove was a man of sterling integrity, of strong will and when once set hard to yield. He was a republican in principal and instincts and a very strong party man, taking a lively interest in all the concerns of the country in the party, nation, state, county and town. He had held several local offices. He was 1st lieutenant of Co. E 86th IL. Vol. But left the service on account of disease that rendered him an invalid and at last has cut off his life. The funeral was largely attended and his memory will be cherished by all who knew him. For he was an upright, useful and influential citizen.

Mrs. Amanda Grubbs

May 8, 1873

Near Kewanee, May 3, Mrs. Amanda, aged 40 years, wife of Collin A. Grubbs, and sister of A. M. Powell.

Mrs. Mary Ann Gross

June 13, 1878

Died in this city, June 7, after a long illness, Mary Ann, aged 62 years 3 months, wife of Christopher Gross.

Virginia Bell Grubbs


September 10, 1868

Died in this city, Sept. 5, Virginia Bell, infant daughter of C.H. and Amanda Grubbs.

In this city, Sept. 7, Henry Murdock, age 52 years.

Anna Rosella Guibert


Feb. 16, 1871

In Richland township, Feb. 3, Anna Rosella Guibert, aged 60 years

Moses A. Gulick

October 23, 1873

At LaRose, Bell Plain township, Oct. 12, Moses A. Gulick, aged 61 years.

Local Items

Moses A. Gulick, one of the old pioneers of Marshall county, died at La Rose, in Belle Plain township, on Sunday last. He was the owner of the land and founder of La Rose Station and was an estimable and good citizen.

Mrs. Heneritta (Shallcross) Gunther

Obituary Unknown Source - Courtesy Treasa Kincaid-Bond Brookman

March 1908

Four months of extreme suffering from Dropsy, Mrs. Adam Gunther passed away at the home in South Sparland on Saturday at half past at the age of 64 years, 3 months and 22 days. She had been afflicted with dropsy for a number of years, but since the holidays had been confined to the room. She was conscious up to the time of her death, bidding each member of the household a last good bye.

Heneritta Shallcross was born in Drauda, Ireland, November 23, 1843. When quite young she became a member of the Episcopal Church and throughout her life she adhered to its doctrines. In 1856 she came to America and lived for some time with an uncle in New York. On Nov, 6, 1861 she was unite in marriage to Anthony DeWalt and to this union were born 9 children. James Dewalt, Mrs. Clara Pride, Mrs. Mary Head, Mrs. Margaret Swanson, Mrs. Anna VanDusen, and Mrs. Ella Marshall. Mr. Dewalt died Feb. 25, 1878 and on the 14th of October 1880 she was again united in marriage to Adam Gunther at Ottawa, IL. Three children were born to them, twin girls, who died in infancy and a little daughter Lizzie who became a cripple at age 2 but lived to be 11 years old.

Mrs. Gunther leaves to survive her one sister, Mrs. Sarah Lyons, an aged husband, 8 children and 36 grandchildren who will ever miss her indulgent love. The funeral was held at the house on Sunday at 3 pm Rev. Chessman conducting the services, reading from the 15th chapter of 1st Corinthians.

His remarks and prayer was very comforting to the family. He very touchingly based his remarks on the word "Mother". The singing was in charge of a quartet consisting of Mr & Mrs. F.A. Barr, Mrs. John Parsons and Mrs. Geo Frank. the pall bearers were chosen from neighbors and friends who laid the body to rest beside the little girl Lizzie in the Sparland Cemetery.

The family sincerely appreciate all the kindness shown to them during the illness and death of their beloved mother.

Mr. Gunther and family.

Mrs. Samuel Gurnea (nee Mathis)

Putnam Record

April 27, 1899

Mrs. Samuel Gurnea of Toluca died Thursday, she being the last of her family, her husband having died 17 years ago. She was a sister to N. J. Mathis and sister-in-law to A. B. Gurnea. Was interred in the Boyle cemtery.

John W. Guthrie


March 14, 1872

At Decatur, Alabama, Feb. 14, of pneumonia, John W. Guthrie, aged 38 years, late Sergeant Co. C, 57th Ill. Veteran Vol. Inf.

Mrs. Delilah Guy

February 6, 1873

Died in this city, Jan. 30, Delilah, aged 51, wife of the late James Guy.

Local Items

Mrs. D. Guy, who has been seriously ill for a number of weeks, died on Thursday last. The family of which she was a valuable member has resided here since 1853. A son and two daughters grown, are now father and motherless. The funeral was held at the Presbyterian church on Sunday morning which was largely attended.

Abraham Guyer

April 16, 1874

Died in This township, April 15, at the residence of his son William, Abraham Guyer, aged 74. Funeral tomorrow (Friday) at William Guyer's residence, near to seminary, at 10 a.m. The friends are invited to attend.

Daffie Dillie Guyer/Fanny Rebecca Guyer

January 15, 1880

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died in Henry township, of diphtheria, Jan. 10, Daffie Dille, 12 years, 8 months, and Jan. 11, Fanny Rebecca, 5 years 3 months, children of William C. and Malinda Guyer.

The Guyer Children

One of the saddest events of the new year was the burial at one time, of two little girls from the family of Mr. W. C. Guyer, on Monday last. Both were stricken with diphtheria on Monday of last week, and though everything was done that love and affection could suggest, by the family and friends for their recovery, in less than one short week both died, one on Saturday and the other on Sunday. Two coffins were provided, but both were consigned to the same grave, the pit being made wide enough to receive both side by side. Rev. Mr. David conducted the funeral, which was solemn and sad, his remarks however being of a comforting character to the mourning family and sympathizing assemblage. A son is still quite ill with the same disease, but is getting along comfortably. All but one of the family have had the disease, but have recovered, except the little girls. The interment took place in the new cemetery, the fearful muddy roads prevented them being taken to Sugar Grove cemetery, Whitefield, where other family friends are interred. The affliction is keenly felt by the family, who has the profound condolence and sympathy of the entire community.

Ida M. Guyer

January 22, 1880

Taken from the Henry Republican

Died in Henry township, Jan. 20, of diptheria, Ida M., 6 yrs 9 mos 23 days, daughter of William C. and Malinda Guyer, the third girl removed by death by this disease within two weeks.

Young Ida, the third and only remaining daughter of Mr. W. C. Guyer, the milkman, was removed by that terrible scourge diphtheria on Tuesday last, the three daughters dying within ten days. Medical skill and counsel, and everything that could seemingly be applied, could not arrest the disease, and when aggravated by an attack of croup, rendered her case still more alarming, and finally shut out life entirely. One son has recovered and a second one is getting along and is probably out of danger. There is deep sympathy for the family in this critical and afflictive dispensation upon them. The funeral of the last child was held yesterday afternoon, Rev. C. David conducting the services at the house. The attendance was large.

Lydia Guyer

December 27, 1877

Taken From the Henry Republican

Died at East Salem, Pa., Dec. 8, of consumption, Lydia Guyer, aged 61 years, mother of G. G. Guyer of the firm of Hutchins & Guyer, of this city.

Minnie Elmira Guyer

The Henry Republican, September 6, 1883

Died at Winfield, Kan., Aug. 19, of cholera infantum, Minnie Elmira, 7 months, daughter of William and Melinda Guyer, formerly of Henry.

Mrs. Nancy Guyer

December 1, 1881

In Henry Township, Nov. 25 of old age, Nancy, 70 years, consort of the late Abraham Guyer and stepmother to W. C. Guyer.

The funeral of Mrs. Nancy Guyer was held on Sunday at the residence of he stepson W. C. Guyer, near the seminary. She was a member of the United Brethren denomination, and was an excellent Christian woman. She was the second wife of Abraham Guyer, who died nine years ago. Rev. W. J. Minium conducted the religious services, which consisted of singing, prayer and a few appropriate remarks applicable to the living. A long procession followed the remains to Sugar Grove cemetery in Whitefield, where the interment took place; Mrs. Guyer being laid to rest beside her husband.


Back to Marshall County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Trails Main Page