Local Events of the Year 1881 as reported in the Henry Republican
Henry Business Changes of 1881
(Taken From the Henry Republican, January 5, 1882)
C. B. Smith opened a livery stable in the barn at his house on Wirt
street, securing a good run of custom.
Drs. J. E. and F. A. Powell took possession of the Everett drug
store in January and fitted it up in a handsome manner.
Dissolution of partnership of Eckhart and Hilb, January 28th, and
continuance of Mr. Hilb at the old stand. Has had a fine trade in
boots and shoes during the year.
Gregory Bros opened a clothing store in the Pool building early
in March, and have met with a large patronage.
Mrs. John Whitney moved into the city in March and established a first
class boarding house.
March 10 Smith and Mock purchased the Paskell livery
stables, but afterwards Mock retired and Mr. Smith has
had full charge since.
Kaufman clothing building bought by W. W. Heath in March and
fitted up, into which he moved some time subsequently.
Assignment of H. A. Proctor to Theo. Disosway, who has continued
the restaurant business until recently.
The formation of the Hanna Wagon Co. by W. A. Hanna associating
with him L. E. Houghton, E. W. Houghton, E. D. Way and
H. Hunter, was consummated April 1st. Market Square was donated the
company by the city, and the firm enter upon the manufacture of the Hanna
wagon on an extended scale. Results promise largs sales and extensive business.
John Tomasson having bought out Mr. Frank Leavitt's interest
in the ice business, purchases a new wagon and equipments for city delivery,
and entered fully into the retail business. He received a large trade.
W. G. Snyder purchases the meat market he occupied in June, and fitted
it up anew, making some additions to the building. He also removed
the large barn adjoining it.
The Era Wind Mill Co. erected new buildings west of the depot and
opened an establishment for the manufacture of wind mills, tanks, hog troughs,
F. G. Moritz opened a grocery store in July in the Hummer building.
Has made a great success of his business.
Smith and Baxendale buy out Smith's brother, and have opened
business in the old place. They have probably returned to Henry to
Sale of Geo. Ball's saloon in October to Joseph
Froelinger, who has enlarged it. He has also bought the
Vogelsang residence and moved into it.
Drs. Kalb and Hattan dissolve partnership and Dr. Hattan opens
an office in the Hummer building, up stairs.
J. W. Fondersmith succeeds L. Turner as agent for the Singer
sewing machine, and Mr. Turner opens up for himself in both sewing
machines and musical instruments.
Dr. Kalb has associated with him Dr. Hamilton of Lebanon for
the practice of medicine.
The Proctor-Disosway oyser restaurant has been sold to the Coan
Bros. They have plenty of money and ought to do a good business.
Fred Shurts built a blacksmith shop, on the Hanna lot near
the city hotel this summer, and has been pounding away at the anvil ever
since, having all the work he could do.
S. C. Brown has opend a flour and feed store in the late city market
building. Has a fine stock and will undoubtedly command a fine trade.
Local Events from 1881 (Marriages, Deaths,
Anniversaries, Births, Moves, etc.)
Taken From the Henry Republican, January 5, 1882
||Ladies "receive" and the gentlemen make New Year's calls.
Election of directors of Henry City Bridge Co. -- Messrs Potter, Snyder,
Kline, Yaeger, Gould, Orr, Townsend, Jones and Burts. Receipts $5222.
||Benj. Kline elected president of the reform club and J. S. Bur its secretary.
Congregational church holds its annual meeting. Officers elected and Rev.
Glendenning chosen pastor for the sixth year.
J. L. Jones at Hot Springs. Improving on Saleratus biscuit and axle
||Golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. I. A. Green
||Death of Frank Skinkle in Chicago, 32. Interment at Henry
||Appointment of Mr. Duncan Campbell by the canal commissioners as lock
collector at Henry
Removal of Dr. L. B. Martin to Senachwine.
||Discovery of J. A. Harrison's house to be on fire; floor burned through
into the cellar; extinguished with slight damage.
||Death of Mrs. Abraham Whitmaar, 72, mother of Mrs. F. C. Goodrich.
Death of Amos Wilson, 87, of Clear Creek.
||Birthday of B. Yaeger, 49. A "surprise" by a host of freinds; all had
a good time.
||Fire at D. H. Anderson's residence, small damage.
||Marriage of G. G. Guyer, of the Boston Clothing Store and Miss Maria,
daughter of the late Robert Davis.
||Death of Mrs. Jacob Herder, 55.
||Death of Dr. G. C. Koehler at Mt. Palatine, 70.
||Death of Mary E., 20, daughter of R. C. Mallory of Lacon
Willy Gould off for New Orleans
||Marriage of John Roth and Annie Cook at James Giltner's in Senachwine
||The remains of Col. Leffingwell sent to Grand Rapids, Mich.
D. H Johnson, the purchaser of the P. H. Green farm over the river, of 225
acres for $5000
Purchase of the Elnathan Platter farm in Whitefield by John T. Smith for
||Death of Mrs. P. O. Shurts at Whitefield Corners, 75.
||The German reunion ball a success. The Lacon band supplied the music
Miss Lucy Dennis gone to Nebraska.
Marriage of C. C. Jones and Miss Carrie Hodge at Chicago.
Purchase of the Col. Stone property by C. W. Carroll, $1500.
Removal from Loca, Iroquois county, of the remains of Nellie, daughter
of Joseph Holmes, and their interment in Henry cemetery.
Marriage os S. H. Taggart and Miss Lizzie Burns at Lacon on St. Valentine's
day. The largest wedding of the season. Judge Burns performed the ceremony.
Very large and costly array of presents.
Marriage of George Heider and Regina Koch, Leon D. Ruggles and Effie Alberson,
Edgar Smith and Katie Kemple.
Back to Marshall County Illinois
History and Genealogy